User Reviews for Caffeine/ergotamine

Also known as: Cafatine, Cafergot, Cafetrate, Ercaf, Migergot, Wigraine

Learn more about Caffeine/ergotamine.

Migraine 13 reviews 77 medications

8.9
Cluster Headaches 3 reviews 35 medications

8.5
Summary of Caffeine/ergotamine reviews 16 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Caffeine/ergotamine

Review by clniclark (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: I have suffered from migraines for 35 years and have tried absolutely everything for them. Between my preventatives and abortives, I've been on over 75 different medications.. Cafergot is the ONLY medication outside of a Demerol injection at the emergency room that eliminates my migraines--even a level 10. However, I do experience extreme nausea from it--on top of the nausea from my migraine attack. Because of the level of nausea I often will not take it until my migraine is a level 9 or higher.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2014 3:49 AM

Review by HenleyShaun (taken for 10 years or more):

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: I was diagnosed with cluster headaches in my late 20's, I was prescribed Cafergot and it worked great. Although now the FDA has taken the medicine off the market due to some people having bad side effects. I tried many different steroids my neurologist experimented with, hoping for some relief and less frequency of the attacks, which didn't work at all. Now I'm prescribed sumatriptan tablets, and they seem to be working great for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 1:02 PM

Review by CP 1:

Migergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: This is the only medicine that works for my wife. She has tried all of the other migraine type medicines, and none of them work. Years ago she started taking Cafergot, then it was taken off the market and she was hardly able to function. Then after Migergot was available her Doctor prescribed that, and she was like a new person. When Migergot was not available for a few months in 2012 she was miserable again, so we were most thankful when it once again became available. She does not have side effects from it, is able to function normally, and goes to the YMCA almost every day and is able to participate in Yoga, Pilates, strength training, hiking, biking and traveling at age 83. Migergot has been a God Send for her.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2013 9:00 PM

Review by Chickenfarmer:

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: Cafergot is the only medication that I have used that helps with my aura migraines.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by LILLYPOD007:

Migergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: I have a head injury due to a car accident and the only thing that works for the very painful headaches was Cafergot suppositories. When they were taken off the market my Dr switched to Migergot which has worked very well for me as I have flare ups.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2012 2:48 PM

Review by Choanie:

Migergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: I get migraine and mixed variant headaches. I spent 18 years at a local head pain and neurological institute. I had many tests and participated in research trial drugs. Cafergot was the only thing that worked for me after many different medicines and combinations of medicines. Then Cafergot was taken off the market because it was too expensive. Migergot works but the base they use was not as effective as Cafergot and caused abdominal swelling and bloating for me. I have IBS-C so Migergot irritated that. I can't live without Migergot, It was taken off the market in December of 2011 and I hear won't be back until May.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2012 12:34 AM

Migergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: I used to take Cafergot, then after they stopped making it, I found Migergot. I am so thankful for it as it is the only medicine that lets me live a normal life. It has been a God-Send. Tablets or sprays just don't work for me, so I am very dependent on Migergot Suppositories.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2011 8:39 PM

Review by Shadoc:

Migergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: I can no longer get Cafergot since they stopped making it. Migergot is just as good, but is so expensive in the U.S. I need it very much and I take it with Phenegran so it does not make me sick. Half in the morning and half in the evening. This prevents most of my migraines with the exception of wind migraines which nothing can help for those kind. I hope that Cafergot will be made again or Migergot was cheaper.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2011 8:43 AM

Migergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: After Cafergot went off the market, my doctor switched me to Migergot. It has been the only medicine that works for me. It has given me my life back, so that I am able to function normally.

November 12, 2011 9:35 AM

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: This treatment, sadly not available in the US (recently) is quite effective and has no side effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2011 3:27 PM

Migergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: It has saved my life used daily. I've been on it for years. No side effects.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2011 7:03 PM

Review by Shiro:

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: I have had migraines for years now (about 8). At first I didn't take anything special other than Advil. After a while my migraines got worse and I had to get something else. My doctor told me to try Cafergot. It did help a lot on the pain of the migraine but I still had to lay down in a dark room, face in a pillow, and a trash can ready since migraines make me feel nauseous. After about 3 hours I was able to get out of bed but was really exhausted. Cafergot did help with the headache and I think it would have been better if I had an anti-nausea medicine from keeping myself to throw up.

April 6, 2011 12:53 AM

Review by Mick22:

For Migraine: In my teens I suffered migraines quite frequently, but took no medication. Now they come on once or twice a year. I experience visual distortions before the onset of a migraine, and experience nausea and sometimes vomit during a migraine, which lasts a few hours. If I take a couple of Cafergot tablets during the visual distortion stage it is usually prevents the migraine. Once the headache sets in taking any medication is ineffective. I discovered Cafergot when I spoke to a pharmacist years ago here in Thailand, where it is available over the counter, without a prescription.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2011 8:49 PM

Review by janicejj11:

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: I have suffered from migraines for 30 years. Was prescribed several types of medicines but as I was being violently sick with the migraines I couldn't keep anything down therefore nothing got a chance to work. I was then prescribed Cafergot suppositories and I then got my life back. They almost always work and quickly too. It seems that they are not as well known as other migraine medicines and my pharmacy does not keep a stock as I am the only customer they have that requires them. Sometimes they struggle to get them in stock for me so I have to take my prescription in plenty of time. I would be devastated if they were took off the market as they are the only thing I can take that really does work.

April 18, 2010 7:18 AM

Review by irMac:

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Migraine: I've had almost daily migraines for a quarter century. I am almost seventy and they are finally starting to taper off some. At one time or another most every possible preventative and treatment in the book -- and a couple outside of it -- were prescribed. I tried a lot of other stuff on my own. The most consistently effective treatment was cafergot. I'd say it worked at least 90% of the time. The few times it didn't, neither did anything else.

February 20, 2010 9:20 AM

Review by Zonie:

Cafergot (caffeine / ergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: This drug worked as well for me as did my Imitrex, but when my Neuro. changed my preventative meds. he switched me from Cafergot back to Imitrex (?). But I was pleased with the results of this med.

March 31, 2008 10:22 AM