User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Panic Disorder

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was on a high dosage of Lexapro and it was working extremely well. However, the side effects were terrible. I added BuSpar gradually then decreased the Lexapro to 10 mg and feel as good as I did on the high dosage of Lexapro. I am currently taking 10mg Lexapro and 15mg BuSpar 2x daily. I will warn you that if you miss a dose or two of the BuSpar, the next time you take it will make you feel really weird for a few hours. Also, when you first start taking it, you will feel weird for about a week. Push through it, it is a great add on to Lexapro."

Great add on to SSRI (could cut dosage way down) 1st week is weird though April 28, 2015

"Currently on week 2 and it made me feel like myself again. Anxiety/panic attacks have ruined my life the last 2 years. My first panic attack was purely physical (POUNDING heart I thought I was dying) roommate took me to the ER. The next week I was prescribed metoprolol and saw a cardiologist who suggested it was anxiety as I didn't believe it was. Eventually the anxiety took my life over and manifested mentally as well (running out of grocery lines, skipping work, etc) I'm a little distracted here but all in all buspirone is a life saver. I forgot what it felt like to be ME again. I now mentally feel amazing, the depression that dug into my life from the anxiety made me a shell of myself. I can honestly say buspirone saved me from myself."

happy2015 April 22, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was on a few meds that didn't help much. But when I started taking Buspar, I noticed I felt more at ease and I am now able to do a lot more than I was able to do before. I suffer from severe panic attacks and was at the point of giving up. I lost friends and confused family members because they could not relate to my bouts of panic. Fear from panic limited me to do the most simple things like shop, travel or even drive in cars with friends. I couldn't enjoy a meal at a restaurant without looking for an exit. I couldn't go to crowded places without wanting to run. But now after a 6 weeks on this medication. I'm able to concentrate and enjoy life so much better. I'm nowhere near 100% but this medication is saving me little by little."

sivadycart April 5, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was on Buspirone with my Paxil. It worked well with the Paxil. However, it did not work at all by itself. I had to quit taking Paxil, due to an interaction with my seizure medicine. The Buspirone made me have anxiety, and everytime I took it, I felt like my brain was getting shocked with electricity."

Jamrom324 March 7, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "My panic disorder started very gradually. At first it was a slight panic that lasted for a min or two when I was driving, then it slowly intruded into my life. At some worst points I was unable to sleep for a week. I might be able to doze off for an hour or two, and then I'd wake up with a racing heart. Buspar helped at first, I was only on 5mg for five months, never went up in dose. After about 5 months, stressful events like job interviews pretty much made this med ineffective for me. I really liked this med as it had no side effects for me. No dizziness or nausea or "brain zaps". My doctor put me on Paxil instead. Just started it, but it seems to be working. My pulse is still about 20 beats above my normal rate, but it doesn't bother me."

MickeyMighty February 13, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have a 10 year old who is autistic, is the size of a 13 year old, and has had severe panic and tantrums since he was 4 years old. He is also going through puberty early. We have tried just about every medication and he has had severe side effects, until Buspar. We started with 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks and now are 10mg twice a day. Within 36 hours we noticed a considerable change in his physical symptoms (he is non-verbal and cannot tell us what is wrong/or what hurts) The school is sending home notes saying he is learning to calm himself and self regulate better and is having more spontaneous language and learning at school. We supplement the Buspar with 3mg daily of risperdal and are hoping to phase out the RISPERDAL this year."

Addvoc84kids (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have only been taking BuSpar for about a month but I have seen a rapid turn around in my anxiety. I am not cured, I still get panicked from time to time, but I am now able to deal my worries without getting lost in them. I used to go about life in a sort of depersonalized haze, but the medication has worked in bringing me back to reality. As for side effects, I think it is safe to say that I got them all in the first couple weeks. Nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, slight depression, etc... However, it was nothing that was too bad. As I continued to take it, the side effects decreased. Furthermore, the benefits that I have obtained from it far outweighed any complaints that I might have had. I would suggest trying it for anxiety."

InsertNameHere May 15, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I first had a panic attack last June & went to the hospital. They gave me Ativan 1mg. I took that for about 1 month and felt sort of out of it, so I decided to only take half and see how that worked. It did work, but I still felt like a zombie. I went back to the doctor & was prescribed BuSpar 5mg twice a day. I took that for three months, but was still having issues waiting in lines, being in public places & sometimes driving. I found I still needed to take the Ativan when I started to panic. Long and short the 5 mg 2xday would take away about 60% of my anxiety and I would force myself out of my head, so to speak. Recently I went back to the doctor & she upped my dose to 7.5 mg twice a day. I feel great! This is giving me my life back, NO more Ativan."

Cyndie1 April 19, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I think it works for me"

Jenn beau March 19, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone): "I, have anxiety issues eversince my teenage years. And I have noticed as I get older. My anxiety has gotten much worse. I have went back into the USAR. As of 2009. And my MDD, Panic Disorder and GAD (Social Anxiety) has shpwn it's ugly horns. I have missed taking an airplane for Annual Training. Or have had numerous Panic Attacks while at the range. I was on Paxil 60mg for 3 months. The brain zaps. Didnt help. But still had debilitating PA. So I have been on Lexapro 20mg n Xanac 1mg. Have greatly helped. But still had racing thoughts. And couldn't goto sleep So, for 5 days while being on 15mg Buspar. Taken at night before bed. Has greatly helped me. With sleep. No harsh side effects. I take the lexapro, buspar, xanax. Everyday."

Matt4072 November 4, 2013

"I've been on Prozac and Buspar for 3 months. I was terrified to start, awful spaced out feeling, not high just foggy minded. Now I feel great, have my moments but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel."

hopful (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2013

"I was on this medicine at 5 mg (3x daily) for a total of 15 mg. I then began to take 20 mg and stayed on that for an entire year. It helped me tremendously with my physical symptoms of anxiety and decreased my racing thoughts. My sex life was better than ever. Long story short, I quit taking it (thinking I was better) and I could tell a difference 3 weeks later and decided to start taking it again. This medication has helped me so much and I probably will be on it forever."

Oi Jillian July 5, 2013

"I was put on this after having a very bad panic attack that sent me to the hospital. I have been on it for about a month or so now at 15mg a day two times a day. I think the absolute worst thing for me is the "brain zaps" and the dizziness. Sometimes it feels like the Buspar isn't working and I have to take some ativan to calm me down- especially in public. However, the anxiety has decreased for me substantially when it comes to being home alone (which used to be a huge source of anxiety for me); now if I can just get rid of the dizziness and the brain zaps."

CaerRaven (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2013

"I took the wrong dosage of a different medicine (forgot which) it never did help me with my anxiety attacks. I went to my doctor about it and he recommended buspirone. I tried it for 2 weeks and it helped me a lot and I was happy but when I stopped automatically, I was upset all the time. I got back on it and I was happy again. Buspar has helped me a lot."

skyred593 July 2, 2013

"I was having heart issues of atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter along with my other medicines. I was giving this to calm me down, when I went into atrial fibrillation or having anxiety, palpitations. It has made life better for me. Before this started I thought I was having panic attacks."

chicagoblu (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2013

"I have been on alprazolam at a very low dose for three years as I cannot take any antidepressants for generalized anxiety disorder. I am weaning off of the alprazolam and adding the buspirone. It has been three weeks and I am having nothing but a positive journey. I have nothing bad to say about the alprazolam."

lalaB (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was a poster child for all the bad side effects of this medication. I am now on clonazepam odt 0.25mg twice daily and feel like a human being again!"

Ys April 18, 2013

"I had been suffering from anxiety/panic disorder for over a year. I could not do any of the SSRI's at all. My Dr. put me on (BuSpar) Buspirone 15-mg twice a day. No side effects at all. I feel like a brand new person. I feel so clam and relaxed. I sleep peacefully soundly and wonderful every night and have great dreams. I also have noticed it gives me energy during the day and I have no appetite for food. If you're thinking of switching to (BuSpar) Buspirone, please talk to your Dr. about putting you on it. You will be glad you did."

Linda J. February 15, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have taken this medication for a month and in that time I have had the quietest mind of my life. I take Lexapro for my regular medicine and this is for easing the generalized anxiety disorder that acts up so frequently. Never have I been able to stop myself from a panic attack like this. It's amazing. The first week was tiring and disorienting...after that, smooth sailing."

Anonsy (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2013

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started getting panic attacks about 6 years ago for no real reason, causing me to not be able to keep anything down for about 2 months. Was put on a lot of meds before I tried Buspar. I believe it with the addition of an SSRI antidepressant saved my life. Back in August of this year I stopped everything and all my anxiety and panic and depression came back. I started the Buspar again yesterday after a huge break down, slept better than I have in months, had great dreams, actually WANTED to get out of bed and today I feel better than I have since the summer! It may not work well for EVERYONE, but when it DOES work, it's amazing."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 21, 2012

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was given this for panic disorder with agoraphobia. It made me so dizzy every time I took it that I couldn't even read a book because it felt like I was in a washing machine being twirled around. I took it at night before bed and I had to make sure I was in bed when I took it and I could not be walking around or doing anything because I was afraid I'd stumble or fall down. I took it for eight days and it didn't get any better, so finally I stopped taking it. It had no noticeable improvement on my anxiety anyway and I didn't see the point in taking something that made me feel like I was on a merry-go-round."

clarkdaniels (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone): "I had suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since I was 8 years old. It was managable until this year. The attacks have been so severe that I cannot drive and was missing work. I cannot take SSRI's or any medications for that matter. My DR. prescribed Burspar 5mg twice daily. That actually was too much for me and I take 2.5mg twice a day and it works wonderful. I feel the anxiety dwindle away within 1 hour of taking the pill. I do not take it on a regular basis, only when my anxiety begins to increase. Buspar levels me to a normal level. There is hope."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have had panic attacks for my whole life and tried every med possible. My doctor put me on Buspar to help with it. I took ONE pill in the morning and was supposed to take another at night. Throughout the day I couldn't walk, felt drunk, my eyes were burning, my pupils were twitching and my body was aching. I have a 1 year old and I couldn't take care of her that day. I had to call an on call doctor 4 times that night, call my psychologist, and I was told to skip my night time dose. I took my morning one when I woke up barely able to be coherent and went to my therapy appointment. He sent me straight to my doctor and they took me off it immediately."

PanicGirl March 19, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone): "I know it may sound a little over the top, because I have only taken Buspar for 2 days and I am already seeing the benefits. I am not a big medicine advocate because I just don't like the side effects of most like Seroquel (ugh) which gave me chills. I have had BIPOLAR, POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER, PANIC AND ANXIETY DISORDER since I was very young. I have tried so many medicines and none have gave me benefits like this one. I take 7.5 twice a day and I can go on with my daily functions on the normal level now. at first it made me a little reluctant due to the fact that I panic. It gave me a small euphoric moment but I was able to concentrate on my home work assignment which I could not do at before."

diamondlegacy February 1, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone): "I take BuSpar 10mg capsules. I've been on this medication for about two months now, for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. This medicine has gotten me through the separation of me and my mother, school phobia (a real thing: kind of a mix between agoraphobia and truancy), and generalized anxiety. I gave it an 8/10 because it takes about a month before the full potential results kick in. Also, it gives a sedative feeling when you take one, which always relaxes me."

J Rock October 5, 2011