User Reviews for BuSpar

Learn more about BuSpar.

BuSpar review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for BuSpar to treat Panic Disorder

Review by InsertNameHere:

I have only been taking BuSpar for about a month but I have seen a rapid turn around in my anxiety. I am not cured, I still get panicked from time to time, but I am now able to deal my worries without getting lost in them. I used to go about life in a sort of depersonalized haze, but the medication has worked in bringing me back to reality. As for side effects, I think it is safe to say that I got them all in the first couple weeks. Nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, slight depression, etc... However, it was nothing that was too bad. As I continued to take it, the side effects decreased. Furthermore, the benefits that I have obtained from it far outweighed any complaints that I might have had. I would suggest trying it for anxiety.

May 15, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Cyndie1:

I first had a panic attack last June & went to the hospital. They gave me Ativan 1mg. I took that for about 1 month and felt sort of out of it, so I decided to only take half and see how that worked. It did work, but I still felt like a zombie. I went back to the doctor & was prescribed BuSpar 5mg twice a day. I took that for three months, but was still having issues waiting in lines, being in public places & sometimes driving. I found I still needed to take the Ativan when I started to panic. Long and short the 5 mg 2xday would take away about 60% of my anxiety and I would force myself out of my head, so to speak. Recently I went back to the doctor & she upped my dose to 7.5 mg twice a day. I feel great! This is giving me my life back, NO more Ativan.

April 19, 2014 5:27 PM

Review by Jenn beau:

I think it works for me

March 19, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by Matt4072:

I, have anxiety issues eversince my teenage years. And I have noticed as I get older. My anxiety has gotten much worse. I have went back into the USAR. As of 2009. And my MDD, Panic Disorder and GAD (Social Anxiety) has shpwn it's ugly horns. I have missed taking an airplane for Annual Training. Or have had numerous Panic Attacks while at the range. I was on Paxil 60mg for 3 months. The brain zaps. Didnt help. But still had debilitating PA. So I have been on Lexapro 20mg n Xanac 1mg. Have greatly helped. But still had racing thoughts. And couldn't goto sleep So, for 5 days while being on 15mg Buspar. Taken at night before bed. Has greatly helped me. With sleep. No harsh side effects. I take the lexapro, buspar, xanax. Everyday.

November 4, 2013 9:07 PM

Review by Ys:

I was a poster child for all the bad side effects of this medication. I am now on clonazepam odt 0.25mg twice daily and feel like a human being again!

April 18, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by Anonsy (taken for less than 1 month):

I have taken this medication for a month and in that time I have had the quietest mind of my life. I take Lexapro for my regular medicine and this is for easing the generalized anxiety disorder that acts up so frequently. Never have I been able to stop myself from a panic attack like this. It's amazing. The first week was tiring and disorienting...after that, smooth sailing.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2013 8:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I started getting panic attacks about 6 years ago for no real reason, causing me to not be able to keep anything down for about 2 months. Was put on a lot of meds before I tried Buspar. I believe it with the addition of an SSRI antidepressant saved my life. Back in August of this year I stopped everything and all my anxiety and panic and depression came back. I started the Buspar again yesterday after a huge break down, slept better than I have in months, had great dreams, actually WANTED to get out of bed and today I feel better than I have since the summer! It may not work well for EVERYONE, but when it DOES work, it's amazing.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2012 12:18 PM

Review by clarkdaniels (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given this for panic disorder with agoraphobia. It made me so dizzy every time I took it that I couldn't even read a book because it felt like I was in a washing machine being twirled around. I took it at night before bed and I had to make sure I was in bed when I took it and I could not be walking around or doing anything because I was afraid I'd stumble or fall down. I took it for eight days and it didn't get any better, so finally I stopped taking it. It had no noticeable improvement on my anxiety anyway and I didn't see the point in taking something that made me feel like I was on a merry-go-round.

September 13, 2012 10:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since I was 8 years old. It was managable until this year. The attacks have been so severe that I cannot drive and was missing work. I cannot take SSRI's or any medications for that matter. My DR. prescribed Burspar 5mg twice daily. That actually was too much for me and I take 2.5mg twice a day and it works wonderful. I feel the anxiety dwindle away within 1 hour of taking the pill. I do not take it on a regular basis, only when my anxiety begins to increase. Buspar levels me to a normal level. There is hope.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2012 10:33 AM

Review by PanicGirl:

I have had panic attacks for my whole life and tried every med possible. My doctor put me on Buspar to help with it. I took ONE pill in the morning and was supposed to take another at night. Throughout the day I couldn't walk, felt drunk, my eyes were burning, my pupils were twitching and my body was aching. I have a 1 year old and I couldn't take care of her that day. I had to call an on call doctor 4 times that night, call my psychologist, and I was told to skip my night time dose. I took my morning one when I woke up barely able to be coherent and went to my therapy appointment. He sent me straight to my doctor and they took me off it immediately.

March 19, 2012 8:44 PM

Review by diamondlegacy:

I know it may sound a little over the top, because I have only taken Buspar for 2 days and I am already seeing the benefits. I am not a big medicine advocate because I just don't like the side effects of most like Seroquel (ugh) which gave me chills. I have had BIPOLAR, POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER, PANIC AND ANXIETY DISORDER since I was very young. I have tried so many medicines and none have gave me benefits like this one. I take 7.5 twice a day and I can go on with my daily functions on the normal level now. at first it made me a little reluctant due to the fact that I panic. It gave me a small euphoric moment but I was able to concentrate on my home work assignment which I could not do at before.

February 1, 2012 12:30 AM

Review by J Rock:

I take BuSpar 10mg capsules. I've been on this medication for about two months now, for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. This medicine has gotten me through the separation of me and my mother, school phobia (a real thing: kind of a mix between agoraphobia and truancy), and generalized anxiety. I gave it an 8/10 because it takes about a month before the full potential results kick in. Also, it gives a sedative feeling when you take one, which always relaxes me.

October 5, 2011 1:05 AM

This medicine is saving my life! After 20 years of suffering with panic disorder, I finally feel free. I have had zero side effects, do not be hesitant to take this medication. It will change your life!

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2011 6:48 AM

Review by EllenEllen:

I used to take Paxil and I hated the side effects, and the withdrawal effects, like brain zaps. Because of this, I don't want to try another SSRI. So my doctor had me try Buspar. I was hopeful at first. I knew it affected serotonin, but without the withdrawal effects. Well. The first 5 mg dose I took brought on a gigantic round on brain zaps for 1.5 hours, the same kind that I'd had in Paxil withdrawal, but much worse. It was so bad that I could barely walk. Every time I moved my head or neck, I'd get a bunch of zaps in a row. Very disorienting. I gave it a week and a half to see if the zaps would dissipate, and they didn't. My doctor said to stop the Buspar because if the zaps haven't stopped by now, they probably won't.

August 17, 2011 1:43 PM

I have only been on it for three days and I am already debating on whether or not to stop. It makes me feel like I'm drunk without the happy feeling. I hope it gets better because I really need something to help stop my anxiety and panic attacks.

May 16, 2011 6:25 PM

Review by Arcoms:

Worked great for me, I had a high level of anxiety and within 2 weeks of taking Buspar I felt great no more sadness or anxiety.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2011 11:29 PM

Review by Clearwaterboy:

I take Xanax 1mg 4 x a day, but I didn't want to up the dose and was prescribed Buspar; it saved my sanity. No more panic attacks and it made me FOCUS and be able to function normally again.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2010 10:10 PM

Review by SDGal:

I wish BuSpar was the solution I was looking for to help control panic attacks but it wasn't for me! After 10 years of taking Zoloft (an SSRI) which worked to help control panic attacks, I decided to consult my doctor to see if there was an alternative drug safe for pregnant or nursing mommas. He recommended BuSpar and I so wanted it to work but not only did my panic attacks come back in full force, but I also had muscle weakness and these weird "zaps" in my head/ears.

June 8, 2010 8:32 PM

Review by DesertGuy:

I can't believe the difference in how I've felt with BuSpar. I had daily anxiety/panic attacks due to a very stressful series of events in the last year and BuSpar has made all the difference in the world. I've been taking 15mg 3x per day (45mg/day) and the results are amazing. No side effects at all. Every now and then I'll take an Ativan (.25mg) to augment the BuSpar, but I know I get the most relief from the BuSpar. Before taking this, I would have uncontrollable thoughts and fears that made me feel like I was going crazy and couldn't stop them. Now, I'm able to rationalize them and get them out of my head much easier. I definitely recommend this medicine to anyone with severe panic and anxiety problems.

195 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2010 10:15 PM

Review by Gizz:

This medication is great, it gave me no side effects at all. Although it takes time to reach its full therapeutic effect its worth the wait. This medication helps me calm down reduces agitation, anxiety, and panic. For me it has been better than the other faster acting drugs for agitation, anxiety, panic that I've tried in the past.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2009 1:18 PM