User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 18 medications

7.5
Anxiety 274 reviews 61 medications

6.9
Panic Disorder 36 reviews 19 medications

6.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 315 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've had a great experience with Buspar 20 mg daily added on to 37.5 mg of Effexor XR. I have genralized anxiety disorder and Social Phobia, and Buspar has made an enormous improvement. The anxiety is not completely gone but much more manageable. Buspar is a great alternative for people who do not want to risk becoming addicted to the narcotics, such as Xanax. I take it twice a day in the morning and evening, 10mg each time. Within the hour I feel less anxious and calmer. It takes a few weeks to fully take effect (about 5-6 weeks for me), which my psych told me beforehand and I found accurate, so give it time."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2012

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Works wonders for me. My doctor started me on 10mg's 2x daily a month ago. Now I am on 15mg's 2x daily. Once in the morning and one in the evening. I have taken anti-depressants for years now and have tried almost every one of them on the market. Finally, I made myself see a psychiatrist. I was dealing with uncontrollable outbursts of anger. It made life difficult to the point I just wanted to stay at home alone. This was NOT me. After a few days of taking this medicine I felt like I could deal with everyday life again. Still taking things piece by piece but seemingly my moods are improving slightly because of this medicine. Give it a try."

blueTiger (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I did not like this. I was given this for anxiety and it didnt help at all. I tried it for a month and felt no difference."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2012

For Anxiety: "My current psychiatric diagnosis is anxiety and Aspergers, and perfectionistic OCD personality, that according to the letter stating her diagnosis, she prescribed Xanax and Buspirone. Another psychiatrist had diagnosed me with PDD-NOS, as per the letter he gave me with his diagnosis, he had prescribed me Xanax, which I took, but didn't really like. I have recently started 2.5 mg of Buspirone, it now has been about 2 weeks, and I feel great. I was able to interact and hold down a conversation with people and not break into a sweat, and run and hide, or put my headphones on. The Dr. also recommended that I take Xanax as needed, but this hasn't been necessary."

Anonymous August 11, 2012

For Anxiety: "I just started this today, and noted the brain zaps, felt that on taking it, initially just need to be aware that it is slightly sedative, but it wears off like 45 minutes later. Then felt some brain zaps, but my anxiety went away, and I felt normal. I have Aspergers and for some unknown reason I get anxiety for fear of not being socially gifted, so I scrutinize myself, and my heart races at times. I've been trying this medication and it works, it beats Xanax or alcohol. I purposely went to very crowded places today, and did not have anxiety, felt very normal. Nice."

Anonymous August 7, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I am responding very well to this medication (7.5 mg twice a day since 6/3/12) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (with associated panic attacks and depression). My anxiety is back down to a healthier level (not completely gone) and I'm not having as many panic attacks (they still wake me up in the middle of the night most nights). Overall, I feel less depressed (because I'm less anxious). I'm doing everything I can to help myself. I exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, don't smoke, don't drink, stay away from caffeine, and I read/listen to lots of self-help books/authors. It's not easy, but things are getting better. Buspar definitely helps."

ejsdds (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar seemed to increase my anxiety and caused sleep disturbance. I woke up several times during the night feeling anxious."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I had suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since I was 8 years old. It was managable until this year. The attacks have been so severe that I cannot drive and was missing work. I cannot take SSRI's or any medications for that matter. My DR. prescribed Burspar 5mg twice daily. That actually was too much for me and I take 2.5mg twice a day and it works wonderful. I feel the anxiety dwindle away within 1 hour of taking the pill. I do not take it on a regular basis, only when my anxiety begins to increase. Buspar levels me to a normal level. There is hope."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2012

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "This medicine has been a God send to me for stressful situations at my job. Unfortunately I had side effects. It has affected my taste buds. Sweet don't taste as good as they used to, which for me wasn't a bad thing."

toite July 6, 2012

For Anxiety: "It was too good to be true. 30 mins after taking it, I felt as if I was in a state of clear conciseness with no 'thoughts' coming into my mind uninvited. I had to initiate the thought myself. In other words I felt in control of my faculties. i.e general anxiety as it called with various 'rabbit holes'. This medicine makes you feel on the surface of life. And oh yeah, no side effects other then forgetting to eat which is not a big deal because when my body tells me to eat, I'll eat. Also, prior to taking it I had a real problem falling and staying a sleep. Now as soon as my head touches a pillow I close my eyes."

kp2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Good, very good."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2012

For Anxiety: "Buspirone worked for me in the beginning by eliminating anxiety as well as nightmares. However, nightmares and anxiety returned and in response my doctor increased my dose. Now, I experience anxiety at night that has progressed to paranoia,as well as vivid nightmares. I cannot stay asleep when I can actually fall asleep. My mind goes a mile a minute and I have tried meditation and exercise. On average, I get about 3 hours of sleep a night. I have even started drinking a glass of wine or two just to calm my nerves. I now avoid going to bed just so I don't have to deal with the anxiety."

dani85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2012

For Anxiety: "After a couple of days of taking it twice a day I started crying all the time and everything got worse. I called the Dr and they said stop taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "In the airforce I had a quack colonel who decided to change my xanax to buspar. It was so bad I could not stand up with or without taking it with food. It felt like daydreaming. Luckily I was put back on xanax."

nangfa June 13, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Before Buspar my anxiety from post traumatic stress disorder was very out of control. Xanax and Ativan barely touched it. My constant anxiety led to a suicide attempt because I was in constant fear which felt like constant panic. I've taken Buspar 15mg 3x a day for almost a month now and I have my life back. Only side effect is a little tiredness. But I will take that over what my life was like."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2012

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've been suffering from a great deal of anxiety for the last year or so. The only thing that would help were benzodiazepines and they felt only as if they were covering up the underlying problem. It got so bad that I would have a nightly panic attack. I tried a number of SSRIs but the side effects made them unbearable after the second day and the panic attacks did not stop. Buspirone has allowed me to relax and sleep at night with no noticeable side effects. I'm glad I finally found something that works."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I tried Buspar for three months and it did not work at all for my anxiety."

splatmanski (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for : "Buspar is great in managing anxiety attacks as well as some panic disorders but I can't tolerate it because each time I experience dizziness and motion sickness after..so I will have to stop it."

Anonymous May 16, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "After trying SSRIs and other medicines, I have finally found Buspar and it has changed my life in less than two weeks! I have had mild to moderate anxiety for a few years and now that I'm taking Buspar (I only need 15 mg/day in divided doses). I feel normal again and my mood is more positive and I laugh/am happy more even in this tough economic time! No major side effects. The first couple of days it made me a little tired and that's it. Really started noticing changes about 8-9 days I could feel a huge difference and the anxiety is GONE! This is a safe medicine to take (non habit forming) and I would recommend it to anyone. It has change my life, thank you Buspar."

Justame (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2012

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Buspar 10mg 3 times a day for the past 3 months for anxiety and panic attacks. I think for the most part my panic attacks have subsided but still experience a bit of anxiety and increased blood pressure. I do take Xanax 0.25mg from time to time if my anxiety gets too bad or too stressed. I do notice I feel slightly lethargic and run down most of the time while I have been on this. Also after each dose I get some dizziness about 45 minutes afterwards which lasts for about 45 minutes or an hour. I used to have a spark to me before taking it, but I guess I'll take the good with the bad for the time being."

Anonymous May 3, 2012

For Anxiety: "My mind would race like there was no tomorrow. I felt so out of whack that I was in tears almost everyday frustrated with my anxiety/panic attacks, which started about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I am 23 years old and felt my wheels were just turning and turning, stuck in the mud I couldn't shake it and move forward with my life. I feel I was ruining myself and my relationships around me until I was prescribed Buspirone. The crawling in my skin feeling subsided and I am comfortable for the fist time in a long time with my life. I was prescribed a week ago and almost instantly I felt like myself (not a worrying mess). I am able to focus better and live my life again. I still get that feeling of anxiousness but feel things can only get better from here."

Anonymous April 26, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I found this medicine helped a lot with my anxiety in many ways but did not help my desire for sex that I suffer from by the other medications I am on for depression. But like in any medication you have to chose what is most important to you and my anxiety was out of control prior to taking Buspar."

Anonymous April 20, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "After being on Zoloft for a while and trying hydroxyzine, which both did nothing for my anxiety, Buspar has also had no effect whatsoever after almost a month. Still taking 100mg Zoloft but might stop taking the Buspar. I see no reason for putting another useless chemical in my body."

NameHere92 April 14, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I have had panic attacks for my whole life and tried every med possible. My doctor put me on Buspar to help with it. I took ONE pill in the morning and was supposed to take another at night. Throughout the day I couldn't walk, felt drunk, my eyes were burning, my pupils were twitching and my body was aching. I have a 1 year old and I couldn't take care of her that day. I had to call an on call doctor 4 times that night, call my psychologist, and I was told to skip my night time dose. I took my morning one when I woke up barely able to be coherent and went to my therapy appointment. He sent me straight to my doctor and they took me off it immediately."

PanicGirl March 19, 2012

For Anxiety: "I got put on Buspirone to treat my Social Anxiety Disorder which included several panic attacks in embarrassing social situations and must say that it has generally helped out with my problem. I am on 10mgs three times a day, and despite the side effects which include dizziness and intense light-hededness, I must say the only problem I have with this medicine is the potential to over use it. I find myself needing to take more than I'm supposed to daily, perhaps need to talk to my doctor about a dosage increase. Overall though very helpful."

Danny in Green Bay March 18, 2012