User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 17 medications

7.8
Anxiety 290 reviews 60 medications

6.8
Panic Disorder 37 reviews 19 medications

6.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 334 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Buspirone

For Anxiety: "I have never written on a forum in my life but after my experience with this medicine I feel I would like to share my experience. For many years I've had a constant heavy feeling in my chest; constantly feeling anxious and occasionally depressed. My anxiety levels can be overwhelming at times. I get very cross and agitated and can't cope with life's smallest stressors. I find that even though there are hard times and good times in my life I always feel the same way - anxious. I am constantly obsessing over the 'what-ifs' and preparing myself for something bad to happen. This medicine has completely lifted this 'heavy' feeling. This worked instantly! 2 days on it and I feel great. I'll give an update in 3 weeks but so far so good!"

Anonymous December 11, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "When taking the medicine, the first few hours my entire body would have random "tingles", I would experience vertigo / become dizzy, and be nauseous. I took BusPar / buspirone for about 3 weeks and quit after these effects + decreased sex drive."

chuckfinley (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2012

For Anxiety: "This medication has helped my anxiety a little, but not enough to make it manageable for me and worth taking. I have also experienced random trembling & muscle spasms. So, no for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I suffered a stroke 4/15/2012 I started having a gradual increase of anxiety to the point I could not stand it. My doc put me on Buspar 15mg starting out then up to 30mg all was great until the random suicide thoughts started I also take Celexa 40mg before the Buspar with no issues. So I contacted my doctor who has taken me off of it."

strokey (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Female 21yrs old. I have had severe anxiety attacks for the past 2 years, OCD since I can remember, and feel like I can't breath when I think about the what-ifs. I was on Prozac for a few months and absolutely loved it until I started grinding my teeth in my sleep. I tried the Buspar. I've been on it for 2 1/2 weeks. It took most of my anxiety away. But I got so dizzy I couldn't stand it (15mg). Started halving the pills, still makes me dizzy. Gives me headaches and doesn't help with the stress or obsessive compulsive disorder. My doc is adding Paxil to the Buspar and hopefully it'll help more."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I developed generalized anxiety disorder seemingly out of nowhere after taking prednisone for an infection, and for three months felt like I could barely function, the physical and mental symptoms were so all-encompassing. My docs suggested Lexapro but I wasn't depressed, just anxious; I did some internet research on my own and asked that they try me on Buspar instead. SO GLAD I did. I've been on it for six years now and I feel totally normal, like I used to before the anxiety set in. I've never noticed any side effects to speak of, besides the weird flushed dizziness when I first started taking it, which went away after a couple of weeks. On 22.5 mg per day but I miss doses all the time, to very little effect. Amazing med."

Anonymous November 24, 2012

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I started getting panic attacks about 6 years ago for no real reason, causing me to not be able to keep anything down for about 2 months. Was put on a lot of meds before I tried Buspar. I believe it with the addition of an SSRI antidepressant saved my life. Back in August of this year I stopped everything and all my anxiety and panic and depression came back. I started the Buspar again yesterday after a huge break down, slept better than I have in months, had great dreams, actually WANTED to get out of bed and today I feel better than I have since the summer! It may not work well for EVERYONE, but when it DOES work, it's amazing."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 21, 2012

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I felt compelled to update my expirience with Buspirone after first reviewing this medication over 4 weeks ago now. My initial review was a positive one, after only 3 days the mental fog had disappeared but the anxiety still remained. Unfortunately this has remained the case up till now, therefore I'm going to try some Prozac with this to help with the depression it causes."

Carlos1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "After having tried Ativan and Vistaril I asked my family Dr for Buspar for acute anxiety. I also take Zoloft. I love Buspar. It's not habit forming and I feel like I have my life back! It's my miracle."

ohio miscreant (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2012

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm not exaggerating when I tell you all: This medicine has truly CHANGED my life! After suffering with clinical depression and anxiety for over 12 years, this is the only medicine that has completely taken the anxiety away. I take it along with Prozac 30mg and WOW what a difference it has made for me. (I've been on Prozac for 8-10 years). The Prozac helps with depression, but since my main problem was anxiety, it didn't help very much with that. Xanax wouldn't work for me like it used to, and after this last debilitating episode of anxiety, I had lost hope that anything would work for me. I'm only on 10mg on Buspar and it's literally made me the way I was before I started suffering all those years ago. I feel like the REAL ME again! Amazing!"

BlondeMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2012

229 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Buspar for about two years for anxiety and panic attacks. I take 10mg three times a day. I never experienced any side effects. I find them not to be a quick fix drug at first I thought they were rubbish but after being on them for about a month noticed my days of anxiety were getting less. Recently I had a really bad day and took some Melatonin to help me sleep. Next day I felt fine. So been taking Melatonin each night and seem to be getting better by the day. I have read that Buspar and Melatonin can treat Bipolar Disorder. I am not Bipolar but these two combined have really helped me. My husband has noticed that I'm so much more relaxed."

Loopyloo (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2012

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I found Buspirone worked well for me. Primary reason for this is due to me only having mild anxiety, which Is where I think this medicine excels. After 2 days I noticed a big difference in my attitude and was able to think more clearly and get back to normality. I've still got another 3 weeks on the pill yet!"

Carlos1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "At first I didn't think Buspar would help me since I have always relied on antidepressants for my mostly manageable anxiety with a very occasional Klonopin. But this past year I was diagnosed with bipolar and have been advised that SSRIs could trigger manic symptoms so I am on mood stabilizers but they do not help my ever increasing anxiety. It has gotten so bad I rarely leave the house and can't work. When I started Buspar at 7.5 Mg 2x/day it made me more anxious and all I did was cry for a week but I was encouraged to keep taking it and it would get better and it has! My quality of life is soo much better, I feel normal again. I do get dizzy after my morning dose and need to sit or lay down though for maybe a half hour to an hour."

vtchick (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2012

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "It was really good medicine for people with anxiety and panics disorders. I been taking sertraline (Zoloft) 100 mg and Buspar 20 mg total morning and evening and it was really helping me out with general anxiety and reduce panics from my daily life. I had this thing when I go in to any store myself I feel like everyone is watching me like I am going to steal something. That triggers my anxiety and my stomach aches and breathing pattern switch to worst situation ever. Facial all red and it was really painful life. Buspar took care 70 percent of that problem for others was 9 out of 10. I say Yes to Buspar. I suggest talk with your psychiatrist about acute anxiety and consult about having Buspar."

Chinese from Burma October 5, 2012

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Well I've been having severe anxiety attacks. Certain Noises, arguments, and even scary scenes in movies would bring these on. I started taking Buspirone about 3 days ago. I have had some side effects such as fatigue, headaches, and belly aches but I have noticed my anxiety level has lowered SO much! I don't really feel nervous, or have worried thoughts. So I am thankful for that. My doctor told me that it would take about 2-3 weeks to get into my system and for my body to recognize it. So I have hope! I will let you guys know how it goes!"

finfan21 September 30, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "F-Age 60. I have taken Buspar for 20 years, starting in 1992, age 40. I would go off for 3 yrs after being on for 3 yrs. I had horrible relapse of anxiety, would have to go back on. Now I have been on for 6 years without stopping at 5mg 3-times a day. I love Buspar and plan to stay on for life without stopping. I have done things that I could never do without the Buspar, like hiking the grand canyon at age 58, just driving there would have given me panic, and even day to day stress. I will take my chances with long term, better than feeling sick daily, not being able to eat, sleep or leave the house, no way to live. Side effects for me slight dizziness. "

Anonymous September 27, 2012

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I was given this for panic disorder with agoraphobia. It made me so dizzy every time I took it that I couldn't even read a book because it felt like I was in a washing machine being twirled around. I took it at night before bed and I had to make sure I was in bed when I took it and I could not be walking around or doing anything because I was afraid I'd stumble or fall down. I took it for eight days and it didn't get any better, so finally I stopped taking it. It had no noticeable improvement on my anxiety anyway and I didn't see the point in taking something that made me feel like I was on a merry-go-round."

clarkdaniels (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2012

For Anxiety: "Helped 100% with the anxiety but have huge appetite increase and have gained 30 lbs on it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I took this medicine starting on a fairly low dose, then gradually adding higher doses. I decided to take it for my generalized anxiety disorder. It had little to no effect on my anxiety despite being on it for months. I know it works for some people, it just wasn't for me."

kewlj (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've had a great experience with Buspar 20 mg daily added on to 37.5 mg of Effexor XR. I have genralized anxiety disorder and Social Phobia, and Buspar has made an enormous improvement. The anxiety is not completely gone but much more manageable. Buspar is a great alternative for people who do not want to risk becoming addicted to the narcotics, such as Xanax. I take it twice a day in the morning and evening, 10mg each time. Within the hour I feel less anxious and calmer. It takes a few weeks to fully take effect (about 5-6 weeks for me), which my psych told me beforehand and I found accurate, so give it time."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2012

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Works wonders for me. My doctor started me on 10mg's 2x daily a month ago. Now I am on 15mg's 2x daily. Once in the morning and one in the evening. I have taken anti-depressants for years now and have tried almost every one of them on the market. Finally, I made myself see a psychiatrist. I was dealing with uncontrollable outbursts of anger. It made life difficult to the point I just wanted to stay at home alone. This was NOT me. After a few days of taking this medicine I felt like I could deal with everyday life again. Still taking things piece by piece but seemingly my moods are improving slightly because of this medicine. Give it a try."

blueTiger (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I did not like this. I was given this for anxiety and it didnt help at all. I tried it for a month and felt no difference."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2012

For Anxiety: "My current psychiatric diagnosis is anxiety and Aspergers, and perfectionistic OCD personality, that according to the letter stating her diagnosis, she prescribed Xanax and Buspirone. Another psychiatrist had diagnosed me with PDD-NOS, as per the letter he gave me with his diagnosis, he had prescribed me Xanax, which I took, but didn't really like. I have recently started 2.5 mg of Buspirone, it now has been about 2 weeks, and I feel great. I was able to interact and hold down a conversation with people and not break into a sweat, and run and hide, or put my headphones on. The Dr. also recommended that I take Xanax as needed, but this hasn't been necessary."

Anonymous August 11, 2012

For Anxiety: "I just started this today, and noted the brain zaps, felt that on taking it, initially just need to be aware that it is slightly sedative, but it wears off like 45 minutes later. Then felt some brain zaps, but my anxiety went away, and I felt normal. I have Aspergers and for some unknown reason I get anxiety for fear of not being socially gifted, so I scrutinize myself, and my heart races at times. I've been trying this medication and it works, it beats Xanax or alcohol. I purposely went to very crowded places today, and did not have anxiety, felt very normal. Nice."

Anonymous August 7, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I am responding very well to this medication (7.5 mg twice a day since 6/3/12) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (with associated panic attacks and depression). My anxiety is back down to a healthier level (not completely gone) and I'm not having as many panic attacks (they still wake me up in the middle of the night most nights). Overall, I feel less depressed (because I'm less anxious). I'm doing everything I can to help myself. I exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, don't smoke, don't drink, stay away from caffeine, and I read/listen to lots of self-help books/authors. It's not easy, but things are getting better. Buspar definitely helps."

ejsdds (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2012