User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

6.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 290 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by CandyBear06:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have only been on BuSpar a few days. I can tell a difference in the anxiety and general anxious feeling. I had been thinking that it might not be helping as much as it needs to be, but after reading everyones comments I think I will stick with it. Maybe I need a higher dose than what I am taking now. Thank you for making me see that this medicine is worth sticking with it.

March 17, 2012 6:57 AM

For Anxiety: This is the first medication that was both affordable and worked well for my anxiety. There was an adjustment period where I felt kind of tingly almost like being sedated right after taking it for an hour or so. That decreased and went away completely in about a month. The only other side effect I have noticed is that my memory and concentration aren't as sharp as they were without the medication. It is not bad enough to affect my daily life. The most important thing I can tell you about this medication is that I finally feel at peace in situations that used to make me so anxious that I had to avoid them. I feel like I just got my life back.

February 17, 2012 7:02 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been taking Buspar for about 6 yrs for anxiety and panic disorder. I started out 10 mg morning and night. When my anxiety got better, I just took it at night. 3 weeks ago I had another panic attack and have been sick with anxiety ever since. Dr. told me to start taking it twice a day again, which I did and already better. I don't tolerate antidepressants at all....so this medicine is a miracle for me.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2012 5:54 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: So far this med has been fantastic. I've been dealing with social as well as general anxiety. The first day taking it I felt markedly better. If this medication keeps up like this, I may actually be able to a normal life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2012 1:36 AM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I tried it for anxiety and aggresive behavior. With in a few minutes of taking the first dosage I became catonic. Tried again two more times and each time the same thing; Dr. changed my medication after that and said that happens in a very few patients on Buspar.

February 13, 2012 1:41 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been taking Buspar for almost a year now, 15mg, 3Xdaily. I think my anxiety is a bit more severe, but this medicine has worked wonders for the majority of last year for me- I had only a few times where I would have to take 1/2 of a 0.25mg Xanax for breakthrough panic attacks. Lately, though, I've had a number of additional stressors added to my life and noticed a great deal of additional panic attacks, causing my doctor to request that I add an SSRI to my current Buspar intake. I haven't started the SSRI yet, and surprisingly today, since I kind of made a mental decision that I have absolutely NO control over the things in my life that are stressing me out,and had a good cry yesterday, my anxiety level seems back down to normal.

February 6, 2012 9:05 AM

Review by diamondlegacy:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I know it may sound a little over the top, because I have only taken Buspar for 2 days and I am already seeing the benefits. I am not a big medicine advocate because I just don't like the side effects of most like Seroquel (ugh) which gave me chills. I have had BIPOLAR, POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER, PANIC AND ANXIETY DISORDER since I was very young. I have tried so many medicines and none have gave me benefits like this one. I take 7.5 twice a day and I can go on with my daily functions on the normal level now. at first it made me a little reluctant due to the fact that I panic. It gave me a small euphoric moment but I was able to concentrate on my home work assignment which I could not do at before.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2012 12:30 AM

Review by arickp:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety disorder. For me, BuSpar does its job: it decreases those fears and worries that plague your life. However, it takes a while for the medication to get into your system. I would not recommend this medication to anyone who is struggling with short-term stress (divorce, legal problems, etc.). If you're prone to panic attacks, don't expect to just take one of these and expect to feel okay. The memory loss from this medication is frustrating.

January 31, 2012 11:28 AM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar made my head cloudy. I would feel dizzy, had chest pains, and felt like my heart was fluttering. All anxiety was gone, but so were my emotions after only a day and a half. My wife said it was like I was stoned. I am now on Celexa and will see how that works.

January 30, 2012 9:31 PM

Review by Bobbojunk:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Amazing. I thought my life was over. I dealt with anxiety since childhood. At times it was worse than others but in the past 9 months it has become so severe that it manifested into unbearable physical symptoms. I was experiencing a cycle of extreme hot flashes that would drench me in sweat, the hot sweat turned to cold dampness quickly turning to violent chills. Uncontrollable heaving made me vomit a dozen times a day. I would wake every day in a full blown anxiety attack. I wasn't able to eat or even quit shivering. I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks, was so emaciated, dehydrated I really felt like I was dying. In 3 days Buspar made me feel NORMAL. Not zombied or depressed like other medicines. Buspar saved my life, or at least gave me the ability to live.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2012 1:43 AM

Review by Rocky Cloud:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Taking this medicine I began to feel despair on and off and suddenly, after 30 days, it hit me very very hard with heavy despair thoughts. I had to hold my head for an hour or two waiting for the Buspar to dissolve completely. I had to stop taking it. It's sad because I needed this medicine.

January 18, 2012 10:54 AM

Review by jessiesgurl:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: It helps me from pulling my hair out but I still have anxiety.

January 15, 2012 11:52 PM

Review by CrocDoc:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been on a moderate dose of Effexor XR (150mg) for about two years and anxiety started to creep in lately. My doctor put me on 5mg of Buspar 3x a day about a month ago. So far it seems to have taken the sharp "edge" off of the anxiety, but it isn't the miracle I was hoping for. He just raised my dose to 15mg 2x a day, so I'll report back in a month or so to see if the dosage increase helps.

January 15, 2012 1:27 AM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Between the anxiety and fear of a full-blown panic attack, (they occur about 3xs per year) I was unable to work, maintain relationships or accept new challenges. Have been taking 15mg 2xs a day since October 2011. It works with no side effects. I have my sense of humor back.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2012 5:02 PM

Review by lookatmeboy:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I cried for the for the first week on Buspar which for me is expected when taking a new medication. Once that week was over Buspar came to the rescue. Buspar has given me progress in my recovery and has dented that wall of fog. It has helped me purge most of my guilt and resentment and helped me notice some of my defects. I am only taking 10mg right now. And after trying a number of different anti anxiety medications I think I've found the one. All hail Buspar.

December 16, 2011 11:23 AM

Review by Johnny Alonzo:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm 19 years old and I can honestly say after taking Buspar for close to 3 weeks so far it has saved my life and my ability to function. I had tried medicines like Clonazepam and Xanax before with minimal outcome. I hope someone else get's the help they need from this medicine because I can only imagine all of the people suffering and I feel so bad. Buspar, A

December 1, 2011 9:19 AM

Review by Allura:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Started at 5mg twice a day. Got dizzy about 20 mins after taking it but that didn't last long. After a week I just didn't feel it was helping, but I also was given gabapentin for pain which my doctor said would help with anxiety. Afraid to take the two together so just stopped the Buspar. I'm thinking I will try adding the Buspar back in again and giving it a little bit longer. Hoping for better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2011 10:09 AM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've been on Buspar for about 6 weeks. At first I had headaches that turned into migraines. After taking 15 mg in am, 15 in the pm as prescribed. I no longer have experienced anxieties attacks and handle stress much better.

November 27, 2011 7:18 PM

Review by JJnitsug:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: For the past 2-3 years, I have been on and off Lexapro/Ativan for Anxiety and Wellbutrin for quitting smoking. I stopped taking Lexapro about a year ago with excellent results. I basically just felt great and didn't need to take it anymore. I continued taking Wellbutrin (daily) and Ativan (as needed). Then I stopped taking both of those about 6 months ago because I was feeling great. Well, my anxiety started up again several months ago and I got back on Wellbutrin and Ativan, which have always helped me tremendously. However, I wanted to stop relying on the benzo (Ativan) and therefore, started taking Buspar. I have got NOTHING from it besides dizziness and a headache. I have been taking Buspar for about 2 months. I am starting Lexapro again.

November 15, 2011 3:11 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: It has helped with anxiety so much but it made me space out a lot so we had to reduce the dose, but it does work.

November 14, 2011 10:06 AM

Review by Lorelie:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I knew I needed something to take off the edge of my stressful life. I am on a tight budget without prescription drug coverage so I was prescribed this medicine since it was on WalMart's generic drug program ($10/90 day supply 10 mg only). I feel so much more relaxed and much less OCD. My only concern is that I have trouble concentrating and focusing at times.

October 25, 2011 4:53 PM

Review by andyswinner:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Been on Buspar for 3 weeks. Weened off of lorazepam and using Buspar instead. Big difference. Started on 15mg 3 times a day. Then 30 mg 3 times a day. Now experiencing muscle pain, upset stomach, bad taste in mouth. I think my dosage is to high. At 15mg no bad side effects. When I get dosage straightened out. I think this will be a fine medication for my anxiety problem.

October 25, 2011 1:37 AM

Review by Goldrake:

For Anxiety: I started buspirone two days ago. I have diagnosed social anxiety and I think I have GAD as well. I felt a difference right away and a positive one. Its like I had my hand in an electric socket and was able to let go. Like sitting still in an old car with a running motor and being able to finally switch off the engine. The constant fear, worry, stress is very much reduced. The side effects I have is nausea, dizziness and a mild headache. They start 10 minutes after you take the pill and go on for about an hour. Not sure if they are permanent or not. But for now I really feel I need buspirone to get a grip over my anxiety. I am not any more terrified of my boss at work or feel general dread!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2011 3:19 PM

Review by Carmalitta:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medication does not work for my anxiety on it's own. My Doctor had me on Klonopin along with Buspar and I was doing great. Well since the government added their new laws he took the Klonopin away from me so my anxiety is back full force and he won't give me anything else to treat my anxiety. I think that is wrong.

October 14, 2011 9:23 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Made me very dizzy and lightheaded.

October 14, 2011 12:20 AM