User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 272 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by JJnitsug:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: For the past 2-3 years, I have been on and off Lexapro/Ativan for Anxiety and Wellbutrin for quitting smoking. I stopped taking Lexapro about a year ago with excellent results. I basically just felt great and didn't need to take it anymore. I continued taking Wellbutrin (daily) and Ativan (as needed). Then I stopped taking both of those about 6 months ago because I was feeling great. Well, my anxiety started up again several months ago and I got back on Wellbutrin and Ativan, which have always helped me tremendously. However, I wanted to stop relying on the benzo (Ativan) and therefore, started taking Buspar. I have got NOTHING from it besides dizziness and a headache. I have been taking Buspar for about 2 months. I am starting Lexapro again.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2011 3:11 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: It has helped with anxiety so much but it made me space out a lot so we had to reduce the dose, but it does work.

November 14, 2011 10:06 AM

Review by Lorelie:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I knew I needed something to take off the edge of my stressful life. I am on a tight budget without prescription drug coverage so I was prescribed this medicine since it was on WalMart's generic drug program ($10/90 day supply 10 mg only). I feel so much more relaxed and much less OCD. My only concern is that I have trouble concentrating and focusing at times.

October 25, 2011 4:53 PM

Review by andyswinner:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Been on Buspar for 3 weeks. Weened off of lorazepam and using Buspar instead. Big difference. Started on 15mg 3 times a day. Then 30 mg 3 times a day. Now experiencing muscle pain, upset stomach, bad taste in mouth. I think my dosage is to high. At 15mg no bad side effects. When I get dosage straightened out. I think this will be a fine medication for my anxiety problem.

October 25, 2011 1:37 AM

Review by Goldrake:

For Anxiety: I started buspirone two days ago. I have diagnosed social anxiety and I think I have GAD as well. I felt a difference right away and a positive one. Its like I had my hand in an electric socket and was able to let go. Like sitting still in an old car with a running motor and being able to finally switch off the engine. The constant fear, worry, stress is very much reduced. The side effects I have is nausea, dizziness and a mild headache. They start 10 minutes after you take the pill and go on for about an hour. Not sure if they are permanent or not. But for now I really feel I need buspirone to get a grip over my anxiety. I am not any more terrified of my boss at work or feel general dread!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2011 3:19 PM

Review by Carmalitta:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medication does not work for my anxiety on it's own. My Doctor had me on Klonopin along with Buspar and I was doing great. Well since the government added their new laws he took the Klonopin away from me so my anxiety is back full force and he won't give me anything else to treat my anxiety. I think that is wrong.

October 14, 2011 9:23 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Made me very dizzy and lightheaded.

October 14, 2011 12:20 AM

Review by J Rock:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I take BuSpar 10mg capsules. I've been on this medication for about two months now, for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. This medicine has gotten me through the separation of me and my mother, school phobia (a real thing: kind of a mix between agoraphobia and truancy), and generalized anxiety. I gave it an 8/10 because it takes about a month before the full potential results kick in. Also, it gives a sedative feeling when you take one, which always relaxes me.

October 5, 2011 1:05 AM

Review by redman4248:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've been taking Buspar for about a week and a half now and haven't really seen any dramatic results so far. I started out taking a 15mg pill in the morning and a 15mg pill in the evening, being a total of 30 mg total. This gave me awful headaches and I started experiencing light headedness. I bumped my dosage down to half of that now, and am currently feeling better when it comes to the side-effects. Hopefully by the 3rd or 4th week I will get the full effect from this medicine.

September 23, 2011 4:16 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: This medicine is saving my life! After 20 years of suffering with panic disorder, I finally feel free. I have had zero side effects, do not be hesitant to take this medication. It will change your life!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2011 6:48 AM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've been taking Buspar for about two weeks now and it seems to be helping my mild anxiety pretty well! I started off taking half of the dose my doctor gave me just to introduce it slowly into my system. I'm now up to the full dose of 5mg twice a day. The only side effects I've noticed is that my stomach gets a little bit loud about a half an hour after I take the morning dose, (literally loud, gurgles and grumbles) but it goes away within about 20 minutes. I would definitely recommend it for mild to moderate anxiety.

September 10, 2011 12:21 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I started taking it over a month ago and it hasn't help my anxiety at all. My hands and legs are shaky, I am constantly dizzy, have a hard time focusing, and my stomach is upset a lot.

September 8, 2011 2:02 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Peaks and Valleys: I felt like I had peaks and valley's of its effect (and side-effects). I would feel its effects one hour after I took it, and they would be mostly gone six hours after the dose. So even taking it four times a day did not provide stable relief. Effects: It cut my anxiety down by about 40%. Benzodiazepines cut it by about 90%. Side-Effects: -I felt a roaring sensation in my head. -It also made me feel depressed sometimes. Buspar side effects aren't too bad, but it doesn't provide that much relief either.

September 2, 2011 5:36 PM

For Anxiety: I have been taking Buspar for 6 months now. It gave me my life back. My anxiety was so bad I could hardly function. I almost died a few years ago and since then my anxiety about my health and death was overwhelming. I love Buspar and I pray it continues to work. I take 30 mg twice a day. No side effects, just a little light headed for a few minutes but nothing serious.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2011 9:30 AM

Review by meemo506:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar has worked great on my mild to moderate anxiety. I take it in combination with Ativan (as needed), but generally find I do not need the Ativan more than a couple times a month. Buspar has worked very well for me and has the great advantage of not being habit forming, so I feel safe taking it on the long term. That being said, it takes about 3 weeks to kick in fully. It also makes me dizzy if I take it differently than normal (with food as opposed to without, vice versa). It would also not be a good choice for someone with moderate to severe anxiety, as it is not a very strong drug. I take it in combination with a good diet and exercise, but doubt it would work as well without them.

August 23, 2011 8:08 PM

For Anxiety: Buspar was the first medicine prescribed to me for anxiety. I started out taking 5mg three times per day, then the dosage was increased to 10mg twice per day, but I had to go back to the 5mg dosage because I got extremely lightheaded at higher dosages. At first it seemed to help, but over time I realized I was still very very anxious even with the medicines.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2011 8:27 PM

Review by EllenEllen:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I used to take Paxil and I hated the side effects, and the withdrawal effects, like brain zaps. Because of this, I don't want to try another SSRI. So my doctor had me try Buspar. I was hopeful at first. I knew it affected serotonin, but without the withdrawal effects. Well. The first 5 mg dose I took brought on a gigantic round on brain zaps for 1.5 hours, the same kind that I'd had in Paxil withdrawal, but much worse. It was so bad that I could barely walk. Every time I moved my head or neck, I'd get a bunch of zaps in a row. Very disorienting. I gave it a week and a half to see if the zaps would dissipate, and they didn't. My doctor said to stop the Buspar because if the zaps haven't stopped by now, they probably won't.

August 17, 2011 1:43 PM

For Anxiety: I have been taking this medicine for around 4 years. It has helped my anxiety so much. It stops the overwhelming thoughts and panic. I suffered a traumatic event and felt so much anxiety after, I didn't know what to do. I was prescribed 15mg 2x a day but only take it once and feel that it's enough. The only side effects I feel are "brain zaps" and dizziness if I forget to take the medicine after a day or 2 but it goes away. It makes me drowsy too but exercise helps with this. It may have caused weight gain but nothing too over the top. The positive outcome of taking this medicine outweigh the negatives. Everyone is different but this medicine works for me!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2011 6:30 PM

Review by LUCKERS:

For Anxiety: Last month my obsessive compulsive disorder got over whelming with images, thoughts , and I found myself not eating and not sleeping. I begged for help and got put on Buspirone on the 2nd of July and I got told it should help reduce anxiety and help me sleep as it was the anxiety causing the insomnia. I was prescribed 5MG twice a day. Its been 3 and a half weeks and my anxiety is so much calmer and I now have slept well ever since then. It did take about a week and half for effect to kick in however I now take 5MG 3 times a day as twice a day was a bit weak , overall very good however takes time to kick in.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2011 6:23 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I tried a lot of the SSRIs and SNRIs medicines, Lexapro, Effexor, Celexa, Wellbutrin, pristiq, Paxil. Lexapro and Effexor gave me monster insomnia, could not sleep for nothing. Wellbutrin made me pass out and the other 2 did nothing for me. Finally my Doctor put me on Buspar 7.5 two times a day. It did make me nauseated but it says to take it on a full stomach which I took on an empty stomach. After I followed the directions I didn't have any more issues. No side effects and my libido has increased (wife happy). Really no more issues with anxiety anymore, I can now go to dinner, the grocery store without any issues.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2011 3:49 AM

For Anxiety: I am a physician who has struggled with anxiety my whole life. I have previously tried selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), benzodiazepines, as well as meditation, exercise, healthy eating, and CBT. All the non-drug options were helpful but not sufficient. SSRIs were not very effective in my case and I had various side effects. Benzodiazepines worked brilliantly and helped me through some stressful months of training but led to pharmacological tolerance and dependence. After many years of struggling with no medications I decided to try buspirone but I was very skeptical it would work because most of my colleagues stated it was a rather ineffectual drug. I have to say they are absolutely wrong. I feel calmer, more in control than I have been for a long time.

July 8, 2011 1:42 PM

Review by cautiousgirl_87:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I really like how the Buspar worked for me I was given 10mg tablet half to a whole up to three times a day and it did wonderful to help tame my anxiety. I had to lower my dosage of Buspar because the original diagnosis of anxiety, depression in ADHD might be Bipolar disorder instead but I really didn't experience much side effect except maybe lactation without pregnancy but that may have been Celexa causing it.

July 6, 2011 4:31 AM

Review by Lindy15005:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Simply amazing. I have extremely awful anxiety and I guess you might consider I have panic attacks at times...usually over worrying about my children. I was just sitting here in crying fit and thought to myself, "You know you can take your 2nd dose of Buspar now, it's okay, you get three a day!" SO, I did and I feel so much better. The crying has already stopped, after 30 minutes of taking the medicine. I was researching the medicine online and found this site and when I did, I knew I had to post to help others who might be in my same situation. JUST TRY IT. You can't go wrong in trying it.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2011 2:52 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've suffered with anxiety at critical periods in my life and was advised by MD's to try antidepressants as an alternative to Ativan. The side effects were intolerable. BuSpar has been miraculous for me. The first week was an adjustment, with ups and downs in mood and some restlessness. On the 7th day I awoke to even, stable calm and increased concentration which has been consistent. My advice is stay with it for a couple of weeks using a benzodiazapine as needed until you stabilize. I had few side effects and those eventually disappeared.

June 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Review by Trinimommy:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I started taking Buspar about 2 months ago, 5mg 3 X a day and it has really helped me quite a bit. I was VERY nervous about trying this medicine, after having a terrible experience with an SSRIs, but I had TOO much anxiety NOT to give it a try plus the fact that it is non-habit forming appealed to me. I do get a touch of dizziness about 15-20 minutes after taking it- but it's not completely debilitating. My doctor has just recommended for me to up my dosage to 10mg- 3X a day, so I'll keep you all posted and let you know how that goes. It DEFINITELY has helped though, so for that, I am very thankful.

June 2, 2011 10:14 AM