User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Major Depressive Disorder 4 reviews 44 medications

7.8
Depression 196 reviews 75 medications

7.5
Summary of Wellbutrin reviews 200 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Wellbutrin

Review by c3llardoor:

For Depression: This medicine really works for me and has really improved my quality of life and perspective on things. I'm 18 and I have been on this for a little over 6 months and I would say the only bad side effect is dry mouth, but if you just drink a lot of water you'll be fine. I like it because it has helped me stop "binge" eating, I don't have cravings for food or cigarettes anymore, I completely stopped smoking. I'm never tired anymore, Wellbutrin definitely gives you energy in a good way. Sex drive is completely normal and I still have normal emotions unlike when I was on Celexa or Prozac where I felt so emotionless. I lost 20lbs but I am healthy and fit and a lot happier with myself.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2013 3:25 PM

Review by SecondTryOnWellbutrin:

For Depression: This is a really interesting medication based on the wide variety of experiences people have taking it. One person here said they constantly forgot things and had thoughts of death *before* taking Wellbutrin, whereas those are the symptoms I have *after* as side effects of Wellbutrin! Also, I did have immediate success with this exact same medication dosage around 9 years ago (was on it for 3 years until it got less and less effective and I quit). This time, I've only gotten those negative side effects I mentioned. My doctor says give it 6 weeks, but it's been 4 and no benefit at all. Strange. Apparently, Wellbutrin's effectiveness can change over time even for the same person!

May 13, 2013 9:43 PM

Review by Piano Legs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I am a 53 year old prostate cancer survivor (radical prostatectomy and adjuvant radiation treatment) with depression/anxiety. I started on 150mg of Wellbutrin 6 months ago. Recently started having major depression/anxiety feelings about work. I am now taking 150mg twice a day and I feel great. I cannot believe the difference in my mood from dismal depression to optimism. I also quit smoking and drinking. I've been doing the South Beach diet with moderate exercise (30-40 minutes walking on treadmill) and have lost 20 pounds, but I was about 100 pounds overweight so I have a long way to go. I am just a few days into the 150mg twice a day regimen, but the results with respect to mood change have been remarkable.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2013 7:24 AM

Review by Alex B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have had fatigue problems with Celexa. I have been on Celexa for about 2-3 years and only recently (2-3 months ago) my doctor recommended I try Wellbutrin. I rated this drug 8 out of 10 because I was having lots of problems with motivation and energy. I can proudly say I am "Stable" because of this medicine. I even started an online course. Thanks!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2013 2:16 PM

Review by Female, 35 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I've been on Wellbutrin for a year and a half now. I had been reluctant to admit I was depressed even though I was miserable. I was rude and snappish with everyone, unhappy with myself and just wanted to die. Then I started Wellbutrin. Immediately, those thoughts in my head about what an awful person I was stopped. When I consciously tried to think about them again, I couldn't do it without my brain also coming up with all the reasons those negative thoughts were ridiculous and untrue. The only side effect I noticed was lack of appetite but that went away after about three weeks. This medicine works really well for me. I feel so much more like myself.

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2013 12:11 PM

Review by cour58 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: One week one, 100 mg week two, 200 mg half way into third week, diarrhea, feel hungover, only sleeping 3 to 4 hours a night, horrible anxiety like something bad is going to happen, getting angry at just about anything. This medication isn't for me.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2013 9:14 AM

Review by Mrs. Elvis (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I had trouble with anxiety and having a "short fuse". I thought about death constantly and had trouble remembering things. In short I suffered from depression. I was horrible to my coworkers, family, and friends. I have never taken an antidepressant before. I have been taking Wellbutrin for 5 days and I can say that I feel better. I have energy, although I have noticed some heart palpitations...nothing worth seeing a Dr about. I have a decreased appetite but just slight nausea. I am in a better mood and seem to be able to let things that used to bother me just slide by. I do not feel like a zombie at all. I smile more and cry less. That's exactly what I was hoping for. I am a 45 year old woman.

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2013 10:51 AM

Review by jaf123456:

For Depression: I'm a 19 year old college female. I was struggling with anxiety and depression for about six months and went on Zoloft in December 2012. It made me even more depressed, even though it helped with the anxiety. Zoloft also made me a zombie (napping for hours during the day, no motivation to socialize, no motivation to do schoolwork, nothing). I went off it about a month ago and switched to 150mg of Wellbutrin daily. I noticed a difference the FIRST day. It gave me the energy/positivity I have been lacking for months and I finally am starting to feel like myself again. I recommend it to anyone who Zoloft didn't work for or who needs that extra boost to come out of a fog.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2013 11:58 AM

Review by saskgirly22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Best medication ever. I quit smoking and am loving life!

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2013 11:55 AM

Review by Jason4851 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Helped me with alcohol, opioid and Adderall addictions. Keeps me focused and takes all depression symptoms away. Highly recommended for people with alcohol and substance abuse issues.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2013 2:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on Wellbutrin SR 100 mg 2x/day for 5 months and it has helped me a lot. I have panic disorder, agoraphobia, and major depression. It has drastically improved my ability to go out and do things. My thoughts don't get stuck on anything that could potentially make me anxious (for the most part). I also take Zoloft 100 mg until a month ago 75 mg and a couple of days ago down to 50 mg. I can tell the Wellbutrin and Zoloft decrease is adjusting. I was reluctant to take it because of the panic but it has actually helped with that. I'm not fully recovered however, as I still fear driving alone and being too far from a support person. I would generally recommend it, although it is a bit expensive without insurance.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by beedoose (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I took 150 mg Wellbutrin XR (bupropion) for about three or four years. My doc upped the medicine to 300 mg and with that came a twitching side effect. This side effect actually went unnoticed for a while but then it started becoming more pronounced with time. It only affected my face which made it scarier. Stuttering, trouble swallowing, and Tourette-like uncontrollable movements on the right side of my face were some of my experiences. I have to say this medicine worked very well for me for a long time. I would even encourage others to use this medicine but everyone is different and the 300 mg dose just pushed my body over the edge.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by chistoph (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I took Wellbutrin for a couple months, eventually going up to 450 mg a day, and I think it did help a little bit but not a whole lot. From my experience, it would maybe be good for mild depression but I don't think its strong enough if you've been depressed for a long time period. I don't remember any side effects though except maybe a little loss of appetite.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2013 10:55 PM

Review by JethroJ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medication makes me feel weird like my brain is dehydrated, loss of appetite, constant headaches and a jittery feeling that was uncomfortable at times. Reduced smoking cravings and made smoking really gross. Had a few drinks on new years....bad idea, sick for days.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 1:37 PM

Review by Shannon1389 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I am a dancer and for the past 5 years I have struggled with anorexia and bulimia. I began noticing signs of depression as early as 13. I felt hopeless, unloved, unworthy and extremely alone. After 5 years I decided that I needed to change. In the spring I got a bi-weekly therapist and saw a physician and got a prescription for Wellbutrin. Within two weeks the therapist herself determined that I would be fine and no longer needed therapy. I have not had one bulimic episode since. I went from leading a reclusive, regimented life to a fun-filled, exciting one. I made many new friends and went from feeling so low that no one could possibly love me to finding the love of my life. Get help; this medicine changed my life!

193 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2012 1:44 PM

Review by Laura S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I took Wellbutrin at first to quit smoking. This was last year. It really did help me quit smoking and that was great. I have to say DO NOT DRINK ON WELLBUTRIN because it made me black out and huge problems from this. After my bad experience drinking on Wellbutrin I stopped taking it. After reading these reviews again I have decided to get back on it and this time around I wont have a problem seeing as I quit drinking completely. I have been in denial for a ling time but I do suffer from severe depression and weight problems and I am praying that this time around I can stick to it and turn my life around. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories they are very inspiring!

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2012 11:11 PM

For Depression: I was first prescribed Pristiq and found it to seriously affect my interest in sex. I was then switched to Wellbutrin. I have been on this medication for 2 months now. At first I had severe headaches and almost gave up. I'm glad I didn't because I am feeling much better. I do find it hard to sleep some nights but hopefully that too will pass. I also feel nausea occasionally. My moods seems much better, negative thoughts creep up but quickly go away and I feel more content. I am currently on 150 mg.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2012 12:29 AM

For Depression: Nausea and a lot of sweating but works well. It keeps me wide awake.

December 9, 2012 4:27 AM

For Depression: This drug was not for me. Its very stimulating. It made me aggresive, angry and irritable. It had several unpleasant side effect, like headache, heavy head, aggitation AND fatigue, strange shock sensations in the brain, loss of appetite, unwanted weight loss, insomnia, broken sleep, nightmares, trembling and dehydration. And with all that, it never lifted my mood at all. It made me completely dysphoric. I cried daily, screamed at my husband and kids and hated myself and my body so much I had thoughts of self-harm. In the past I have taken SSRIs and never experienced anything as negative as this. Although the sexual side effects on others were atrocious! That is one thing Wellbutrin didn't cause, sexual dysfunction. I am a 31 year old female.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2012 1:17 AM

Review by momsnowbunny (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This is the most amazing medication for depression! I have used it in the past, and am so glad to start back on it again. I have had so many bad things happen, that it is time for some good. I am grateful for the way it helps me see the bright side of life, instead of living so unhappily and feeling hopeless. If you have ever thought of suicide, please don't do it. I know this medicine helped me from doing it in my past, it's wonderful. Problems are temporary.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2012 6:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I take Wellbutrin for help with the management of stress and it works wonderfully! I used to be in a bad mood and very tired after work which was not good for my kids or husband. I take 100mg at 6:00 am and another 100mg at 2:00 pm and it makes a HUGE difference in my mood, energy level, and diminishes my cravings for chocolate. What I like the MOST is how I have energy ALL DAY LONG now. I used to be so tired all the time even though I was not depressed or sick. Now I have energy even after a long day of work. I must drink 50-60 ounces of water daily or I have bad muscle pain. But so long as I get in enough water I feel fabulous and definitely recommend this for others who have a hard time with stress and low energy levels.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2012 1:20 PM

For Depression: I love this medicine. It has helped me stopped smoking plus it gives me much needed energy. No side effects.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2012 6:53 PM

Review by carolar44 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I was doing great on Wellbutrin then my plan switched to a Generic. Within a week, I was back to serious depression.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2012 4:58 PM

Review by Ogo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Horrible side effects; irritability, headaches, malaise, did not help me with depression as a result.

September 23, 2012 4:05 PM

Review by Shayney (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I take Welbutrin XR, so it takes a couple to a few weeks to kick in and wear off. I didn't like it very much when I first started because it really didn't feel like anything changed for me. I never felt like I was on medication at all, I just felt normal. But I talked to my doctor about it, and he pretty much explained how that was exactly how it's supposed to be. So ever since then, I've been hopelessly devoted to my Welbutrin XR.

August 28, 2012 1:42 PM