User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL (Page 3)

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"DO NOT TAKE THIS IF YOU HAVE ANXIETY OR A PANIC DISORDER. at first I loved the stuff. I had the drive to actually get out of bed and do stuff. I exercised often, lost weight, became more social. However, I suffer from anxiety and after awhile, the medication made it 1000x worse. I suffered panic attacks weekly. It's just not worth it for those who have anxiety."

Nnabuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

"I have been suffering with outrageous anxiety and depression of and on for years. I have tried zoloft and used xanax until it didn't work anymore. I was just about to give up and felt like I was losing my mind when I was prescribed Wellburtrin XL 300mg only in the generic. I had taken it for two months and felt NOTHING. I was desperate. Then a friend who also uses it said to switch to the name brand. I kept reading how after 3 days you feel different, and I DID TOO! I hope this continues because I am feeling so much more relaxed and more like myself. I have stress, but it is not burying me and throwing me into panic. Listen, the generic does not work at all. You have to get the name brand! Hope this helps someone."

VATEACHER March 13, 2015

"I'm 17 and have struggled with depression, ADD/ADHD, and severe anxiety my entire life. A couple months ago I started getting worse and recently I've become extremely suicidal and the pain inside was debilitating. I never thought an anti depressant would help but finally reached out for help. Today was day 1 of 150 mg XL. I didn't expect to feel anything yet, but I am completely astonished by how well I feel. I haven't felt like this in longer than I can remember. I had become a slug and felt dead. But today I have had so much energy and motivation. I haven't cried today and that's something I've done every day lately. No suicidal thoughts. Seems to increase libido. No serious side effects that I can see yet. So grateful for Wellbutrin."

Molly K. March 7, 2015

"was feeling angry and snappy and unhappy. started lexapro, slept a lot and gained weight and started grinding teeth. switched to wellbutrin 150 2xday. crazy headaches for 3 weeks and strange metallic taste in my mouth. then i read that generics are not necessarily the same, and went straight to wellbutrin's manufacturer who has a great program if insurance doesn't cover it -- $50 per month for name brand wellbutrin 300XL, SO WORTH THE $. i lost a bit of weight, could work straight through for hours, felt much more peaceful and happy except for the pre-menstrual 10 days, when i could become a raging lunatic. doc prescribed prozac 20mg for those days only, and almost zero PMS or PMDD since (self-diagnosed PreMenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.)"

wellbutrin + prozac = win (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2015

"Switching from another antidepressant to Wellbutrin XL, made my depression worst. I became very hostile. Ugly mood changes. Changing from one antidepressant to another is the worst thing that I ever did in my life. Some family members are not speaking to me because of my hostile actions toward them. Every day I used was a sad day."

Ms. Pooh (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

"After suffering from moderate to major depression for 6+ years, I finally decided to give antidepressants a try. I felt different within a week--not just happy, although there was plenty of that (I'd forgotten how it felt to laugh from sheer delight!), but a wide-ranging suite of emotions I'd forgotten existed--grief, anger, giddiness, joy. I guess I thought emotional numbness was a natural part of growing up. I was wrong. Lost 10lbs in 2 weeks from decreased appetite, but libido is through the roof--it became so all-consuming that the doc actually had to cut my dose. (It's still in hyperdrive, but at least now I can think about things besides sex). I do suffer from insomnia now. Still, pros outweigh cons!"

ItsANickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2015

"I had a great experience with this antidepressant. I am 18 and I've been on it for four years. I forgot to take it today for the first time in years. I've been crying and shaking all day because my body doesn't know how to function without it. Needless to say, I need it to get through every day life. It's worked so well for so long. I can't see myself getting off of it any time soon."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2015

"I was put on this medicine in 2011 due to severe anxiety that led to depression. My psych doc had combined Wellbutrin XL 300mg and Cymbalta 60mg. Within 6 months I was symptom free and back to normal. I stopped all medicines 12 months later. Then I went 2.5 years without meds. An anxiety attack this November started my relapse. Now I'm back on the same combination, hoping for the same results as last time. Only this time I'm staying on the meds for 2 years minimum."

Gravenwolf (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2015

"This is the best thing ever. I was suffering from no desire to go to work, I couldn't wake up, I was always late, I lost my motivation to accomplish things, I was anti-social and really just hating myself and life. I was also flustered, confused, feeling out of control and miserable. I started Wellbutrin and by the third day I could REALLY feel the difference. My mind starter to clear, I wasn't hazy, my motivation was back and I could wake up early. This has been an answer to prayers. The study of the brain and body with science is amazing. I'm very thankful."

Hey1234 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2014

192 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have situational depression, never dealt with it before. Wellbutrin had definitely helped get me out of bed each day. The "situation" is becoming better as well but I find my emotions aren't as out of whack. I cry less & get angry less. I do feel it made me more anxious which I'm already dealing with & taking Buspirone for. I didn't experience many side effects BUT one that is hard to deal with but because it seems to make me get through each day a little better, I deal with it. It makes my throat feel closed, which is very annoying. I feel often like I can't breathe well & that I can't swallow or that something is stuck in my throat. I've not taken any other pills on several days to determine that it was the Wellbutrin that did it & it is."

chameleon18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014

"Bad for me. Would not let me sleep. Felt angry all the time. Did, not help me at all in a matter of fact it made things worse."

zoozzzz November 26, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication worked wonders for me. It took a while (3 weeks maybe) for it to fully set in, and I went from suicidal thoughts and self harm attempts to actually being able to function in society. Wonderful antidepressant, no side effects, except that it is easier to become angry because this medication quickens emotional reaction time. I was put on Lamictal and Klonopin to help my anger and anxiety/paranoia/panic attacks that came with my depression and they have both been wonderful. I do not have any complaint except the anger issue. I will occasionally have a breakdown and have only self harmed twice since starting this medication. Would recommend to anyone suffering from depression."

ilovedogs7896 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1996 soon after moving to Seattle. In hindsight, I've been *depressed* for most of the past 20 yrs. The long, dark Seattle winters didn't help, so I'm sure I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, too. I avoided taking antidepressants all these years, fearing side effects, weight gain and turning into an emotionless zombie. NONE of these things happened when I started on Wellbutrin XL-150 mg. Instead, immediately after taking my first couple of doses, something miraculous happened: my 17-yr struggle with bladder incontinence COMPLETELY disappeared. I have my pre-Multiple Sclerosis bladder back! I'm also STRONGER on my bike than EVER (I'm an avid cyclist), sleeping great, dreaming vividly, losing weight and interested in sex like never before. MIRACLE MEDICINE (for me)!"

RedmondGemm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2014

269 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication has worked miracles for me. It has very few side effects and WORKS. One of the best things about it is no weight gain - it can actually cause you to lose weight! If you've got depression, I would definitely recommend Wellbutrin XL."

am49 September 19, 2014

183 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I relied on these reviews when I first started meds, so wanted to share my experience. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for about 2.5 years with extremely positive results. This is the first antidepressant I have ever taken, and I have been much better on it. No more falling through emotional thin ice 20+ times a day, no more crying, and hardly any negative thinking. Started on 150xl for about 1.5-2 months then up to 300XL. Experienced almost no side effects -- only a few occasional strange headaches in the beginning Only side effect is constipation, which can mostly be mitigated with fiber and good eating. Exercise is still a must for me to feel O.K. Before, post gym I would go from -6 to 1 or 2. Now with Meds I go from 3/4 to a 9/10"

Autonomous Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2014

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Added this on along with my Cymbalta 60mg & Abilify 1mg. Took 150mg per day for 2 weeks until I realized I had major suicidal thoughts and ideation. Just out of nowhere. Immediately discontinued and felt better in 2-3 days. Beware of sudden mood changes please! The only good thing about this medicine is that it absolutely kills your appetite- lost 13lbs in 2 weeks. Not worth dying over though- sanity before vanity!"

Lala83 June 4, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've never felt compelled to write a review for a medication before, but Wellbutrin XL saved my life. I suffered from chronic depression for years before I started taking Wellbutrin and within weeks it was as if the rain stopped and there's nothing but clear blue skies and sunshine since. Seriously. I cannot say enough good things about this medicine. The great thing about Wellbutrin (I take 150 MG) is that it doesn't make you feel zombie-like at all. I feel like a brighter, happier version of myself. I also take 150 MG of Lamictal, which has also significantly helped as well. I highly recommend these medications to anyone suffering from bipolar depression. They have done wonders."

HannahBananaParker June 1, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day for the first two weeks, back in November. At first I noticed a slight change in my mood. the dr. bumped me up to 300mg once a day. I have gotten a lot better now, not depressed, angry, sad all the time. Also before I started taking this I was having awful anxiety attacks to the point where I`d black out and wake up vomiting, I was losing a ton of weight because I was so depressed I had no appetite. Although I haven`t experienced weight gain with this medication I still don`t have much of an appetite but I have gone back to my normal weight. Drinking while taking this makes the alcohol affect you a lot quicker than usual, also causes me to black out 98% of the time."

sanac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was under severe anxiety and depression from intolerable conditions at a hostile job for years until I was so sick their antics pushed me to go. I then went into a deep depression sleeping a ton having lack of energy feeling like nothing was ever going to be right again. I withdrew myself from family, friends and activities. I finally decided to go on Wellbutrin XL after talking it over with my psych because I have multiple health problems and couldn't take other kinds of antidepressants. It saved my life. No weight gain. I'm focused alert not depressed happy and have a job again. I am visiting family and friends too. Not sleeping a lot anymore. Try it."

Gonewiththewind78 April 26, 2014

165 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This stuff worked wonders for me, and additionally I had absolutely no side effects what so ever from it, so talk about a double win when we tried this medicine out. Started on 300mg and it took about 75-80% of the edge off of the depression. Proceeded to add ability (had a rare side effect, made my eyesight horrible), added Prozac 40mg (helped but made me go limp in ways a guy never likes to happen), then down to 20mg (side effects mostly went away) but still not enough, went to 600mg of Wellbutrin and have been 100% depression free for the past 1 year."

Just a guy March 26, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on 150 mg Wellbutrin with 50 mg Pristiq daily with nominal results. My doctor upped the Wellbutrin to 300 mg and it has made all the difference. It is like day and night. I just hope I keep responding to this medication forever. It has changed my life and given me hope again. Keep trying and talking to your doctor. Good luck!"

Kate D (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine has saved my life. I was on it for several years (300 mg) and felt it wasn't helping any more so I quit it on my own. No problem quitting but a few months ago began feeling hopeless due to financial problems and could not do anything on weekends but lay around in bed and sleep my weekends away. I couldn't get anything done and put important things off that needed to be done. In just the last 2 days I can tell that I already want to get out of bed and do housework and get a shower. I didn't realize what Wellbutrin XL did for me but I do now and am grateful I am back in it!"

Mama Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2014

"I started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL in Jul 2013 due to feeling very unmotivated, depressed, tired, and hopeless. After a few days I felt good, and by the second week I felt better than I had in several years. I increased the dose to 300mg in Oct because I was starting to feel down again. It helped a lot but by Jan I was very irritable/angry/bitter, so I lowered the dose to 150mg and restarted 40mg of Prozac and the anger subsided. To address some side effects: inability to fall asleep (went away after 2-3 weeks), increased libido (awesome), pretty much the same appetite (no weight loss or gain), vivid dreams (sometimes disturbing), more emotional (but not crazy/extreme), constipation (moderate-severe), sensitivity to caffeine (must avoid)."

Your Nickname February 19, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been using for less than a month. The only side effects I have experienced are headaches and adverse reactions to alcohol. My depression is better and I have more energy. I am a lot more irritable though. Not part of my personality. The reaction to alcohol sucks because I am a social drinker. Wine= metallic taste in my mouth. Beer= headaches within an hour. Liquor= nausea and feeling the urge to vomit. I hope this goes away along with the headaches. I am scheduled for a follow up with the doctor to discuss my progress. Maybe there is a recommendation for headache. Forgot to mention my appetite is more balanced and my libido is back to normal. Both a positive!"

lex shugar February 16, 2014

"I was on the generic for a while; unfortunately ALL of them didn't help. I switched over the the brand name 6 days ago and am experiencing less side effects so far and just feeling better overall. There is a big difference for me. I was able to find that the manufacturer has a program where the most you pay is $50 a month. I was lucky, they called my insurance and my copay is ZERO. There is definitely something going on with this and I am sure the manufacturer of the brand name is reimbursing the insurance companies somehow. Either way; my opinion : NO GENERIC FOR ANY WELLBUTRIN."

speerjam2000 February 16, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next