User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"I was given this to combat the extreme loss in libido I get from taking SSRIs (Lexapro) it fixed the problem and made me function quite normally once again, but made me have big waves of depression. Denitely not the medicine for me, but if you're looking to recover sexual functioning back, this is worth a shot."

Megadeth (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2013

"This worked very well for me. I had a hard time after my mother died and this worked wonders."

ms. renee March 21, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking it 24th Jan 2013, I weighed 414lbs. It's now 30th Jan and I weighed in at 405 lbs. Total pounds lost in 7 days 9lbs. It curbs the hunger and I don't crave for food. I am drinking lots of water and I have 2 cups of Green Vegs a day. Side Effects so far has been Insomnia however my doctor prescribe sleeping pills which I take 1 at night and I sleep right through. Will keep you all posted on Weightloss."

Kiwiana January 30, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works! Only four days on it and I'm already feeling great. Before all I did was sleep and now I actually go out and do things. No side effects so far. I'm on 150mg."

Anonymous January 28, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on a long list of medications for depression for many years, some worked for awhile, some not at all. Reached my lowest point 6 months ago and haven't really recovered. I finally took matters into my own hands and asked the doctor for Wellbutrin as the ratings looked overall pretty good. On day 3 now and seem to feel uplifted already.... Actually making plans for the day which I haven't done in months...still apprehensive to give a 10 rating but keeping hope. Had trouble sleeping but no other side effects have shown up yet."

MsElly (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2013

"I have been on Wellbutrin XL now for almost 7 years and I love it. Before starting Wellbutrin with the other medications I felt tired, could hardly function and could not think clearly, it was so bad I was ready to quit all the meds and just live my life depressed, I mean after all I was sleeping my life away anyway so it didn't matter. So I told my psychiatrist and she put me on Wellbutrin XL it took about 3 weeks to start noticing a big improvement I felt energetic I wanted to do things again my mood has been really good I could concentrate it helped me tremendously in my job and I was able to start living life to the fullest and be that fun loving, energetic person I want to be. I highly recommend this medicine."

Shelster36 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2013

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have struggled with depression for most of my life, after a particularly bad few months I decided it was best to talk to my doctor about medication. One of my biggest issues was concentration, which is why I was put on Wellbutrin XL. It didn't do much for my inability to concentrate, but it did wonders for my energy levels and general mood. I did experience side effects, my hands would shake, my stomach would get bloated and gassy, I had more trouble falling asleep, sometimes had ringing in my ears, but most of these either disappeared completely after about a month and the others are very diminished. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I ended up having to pair it with another antidepressant."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2013

"I take Bupropion HCL XL 150mg. I noticed an EXTREME improvement in my mood the very first day of taking it. I still take it with no side effects whatsoever. It helps me so much I cannot stress how much it has helped me for this past month of taking it."

RyGuy1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2012

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Well, it helped take the edge off for sure, but a month in, I started getting chest pain and shortness of breath. My blood pressure was at 135/90, having always been 118/78 before. I also have anxiety, so it may be related, but I didn't expect cardiac side effects! I'm 29, thin, and healthy."

Anonymous December 11, 2012

"i have been on 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for two days and I can already feel a difference. It has removed all appetite which seems to be a side effect but, in all fairness, I didn't have one before I started taking the meds! I have depression and panic attacks and after just 48 hours I am excited about the holidays! Baked five dozen Christmas cookies today! I haven't been interested in the holiday season in years! I DO recommend getting the brand name meds and not the generic, as I have heard many issues arising from the generic form. Happy holidays!"

buxmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2012

"After a couple of years of trying to cope on my own with PTSD, the symptoms became overwhelming, so I sought help. How glad I am that I did. Wellbutrin has been amazing for me. For some lucky people, it takes effect very quickly, and that was the case for me: within three days, my profound sadness and paralyzing pervasive sense of despair was gone, replaced by a cheerful, calm outlook. I was stunned by the radical change! Suddenly, I had energy, was able to again face daily challenges, and once again look forward each night to the next day. I haven't felt like this in years! The old me is back! Side effects - nightmares & tremor in arms - were minimal & only during 1st week."

SnowCrow (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2012

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I felt very little positive effect when I was on 150 SR for two months. After I switched to XL 300 I noticed a change. I have been taking this for about two months. All I can say is HANG IN THERE! For me the side effects were awful and it took so long to start feeling better. But now I do! I feel like myself again--I don't feel blissfully happy and I still get down at times but I feel like a normal human being. This quite literally saved my life."

Anonymous November 19, 2012

"Wellbutrin XL has saved my life. I have been on this medication for 18 months and my only regret is that I didn't start years earlier. I did not realize that I have been depressed for nearly 20yrs and with that came many side effects which included a full blown eating disorder. I was a compulsive over eater that had nothing to do with willpower. It was more like an alcoholic or drug addict. I am so happy now and love my life. Thank you Wellbutrin XL."

geminiLinda (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2012

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Several years ago around 2004, Wellbutrin (brand name) helped my depression. Here recently, I was taking the generic Bupropion (Wellbutrin). I recently changed again to the real Wellbutrin along with 1 mg Abilify and the results have been amazing!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2012

"Saved my life."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2012

"I have been on some form of SSRI medication for 14 years. My last experience was with Zoloft. I was on it for a year and it made me eat to much, smoke to much and I wanted to sleep all the time. I gained about 10lbs on it. After doing some research I told my Dr. I wanted to try Wellbutrin. I've been on it for three weeks, I quit smoking, have lost weight and feel like the energizer bunny. I am more focused as well. I'm actually feeling emotions. Looking back Zoloft made me feel like a zombie. Wellbutrin is a miracle for me, I feel like myself again. Just wished I tried it years ago."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2012

"Wellbutrin XL has so far been a miracle pill for me. I was always in a deep cloud of depression and my mind was always so "foggy" I could never focus or think properly and I was always too depressed to even get off the couch and do a load of laundry. I started on 150mg for a few weeks then moved up to 300mg. Now I am loving life again, things that had no appeal before are amazing again. I've also lost a ton of weight while taking this, probably because I'm more active. I also have had some slight constipation (not bad at all only slight at times) not to mention an increased sex drive. It seems I can be in the mood 5 times a day. The wife can't handle all that extra me time. "

Jonnybb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2012

"My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin XL with the hopes of it helping me with mild/moderate depression as well as a severe lack of energy. Wanting to avoid the common side effects of SSRI's (namely weight gain and sedation), my doctor and I were both hopeful that Wellbutrin would work for me, as it is an atypical anti-depressant. Along with mood improvement, Wellbutrin affects most people with an upsurge in energy, and even sometimes weight loss. Unfortunately it affected me in a totally opposite way. I gained approx. 10lbs. in the one month I was on Wellbutrin! Very discouraging! I think the worst thing of all was that I could barely function from day to day and just getting out of bed was arduous. I've never had that before. As for my moods, I found myself feeling even more depressed and prone to drastic mood swings. My doctor and I ultimately decided Wellbutrin was not for me. "

BevWK May 11, 2012

"I used bupropion xl 150 only used for 1 week. This made me so angry and irritable that my family couldn't stand me. I took Pristiq before this and it did the same thing plus made me gain 15lbs in 2 weeks. I do not think antidepressants are for me. They just make me way too angry. Bupropion also gave me itchy rash everywhere, headaches and made me constantly feel hungry, also made me have really bad dizzy spells and twitches in my neck. All of this and it didn't help my depression at all, in fact I feel worse since I've started taking medicines than I did before. I know this works wonders for a lot of people but I am not one of them. "

Lovinlife0525 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2012

"I am 47 year old female and depressed. 4/19/2012 I started taking the generic Bupropion. Experiencing horrific side effects switched to the brand name, Wellbutrin, and am much much better. It is worth the extra money to not have the horrible headaches and other side effects. Weight loss is a huge bonus! Good luck."

Anonymous May 3, 2012

"I have been on this medication about 8 months and it has had a profound positive effect on my life. It lifted my mood and provided me the stabilization to start making positive adjustments to my thought process and handling of stress. At first I would get head rushes not totally unlike those from Adderall or other stimulants, but now that type of side effect is rare (maybe once a month and it only lasts a few minutes). I have always been on the thinner side, but I have noticed it has also helped with controlling appetite and has almost entirely killed my desire to smoke cigarettes even when drinking or other social circumstances. Simply put, this medicine may have saved my life and I feel like myself again."

Anonymous April 6, 2012

"I have been taking Wellbutrin for 6 months. It has changed my life. I have suffered with depression my whole life (I am 41) and only finally got help after being admitted to a psychiatric facility. The first two weeks on Wellbutrin were horrible. I had severe anxiety and gastrointestinal issues. I ate broth and crackers for a week! But every single side effect was gone in about 3 weeks. I sure know it doesnt work for everyone, but it certainly has for me. I know it can be scarey to try new medication, but give it a go; it might be the one for you."

immaculata April 5, 2012

"I'm 18 and have been having a lot of depression from having a surgery and finding out that I will have a hard time having kids. I'm currently on the 3 week of Wellbutrin and I'm feeling a lot better. The first week was horrible, insomnia, irritable. Week 2 was very tired but less depressed. Now I feel a lot better about life and about other things. I'm still quite shaky but it's not too noticeable unless I'm holding something. I'd say it's nice, helps."

Anonymous March 28, 2012

"Did not help with depression and anxiety I suffer from. The worst side affect I experienced was the inability to preform sexually. Lack of libido and caused impotence the entire time I was prescribed the medication."

Widow son March 18, 2012

"It's only day 2 and I swear I already feel more like myself. I don't even think it could be from a placebo effect...because I actually went to bed last night and woke up in the morning (this hasn't happened in years)! I used to wake up 4-5 times a night. I also woke up BEFORE my alarm and with energy! I regained my sex drive. I also feel more positive throughout the day, with less drops in energy. I am excited to see the effects as I continue this medication even longer. I tried for so long to battle my depression without meds, but feeling like myself again now has made me wish I did it sooner. I feel that I can be more productive & that my focus is better. Try it..there's no point in struggling so hard to feel normal, life is short!"

Anonymous February 23, 2012