User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"I have been on Wellbutrin XL for a little over a year, and it has dramatically improved my quality of life. I have struggled with depression for almost my entire life, and only recently sought out treatment, and WOW, what a difference! Wellbutrin didn't cause any weight gain - if anything I lost some weight - and it didn't decrease my sex drive. It took about a month for it to kick in, but it was well worth it."

heyamykate (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2013

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Wellbutrin (bupropion) is the one medicine I have been on continuously. I started on in it 2006. I believe it works, but since I have never been off of it I am not sure. Now that I am on Viibryd as well I am doing much better. The combination of the 2 medicines seem to be doing the job."

santafegirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2013

"I was on Lexapro, Effexor and Cymbalta to treat my depression. All of these meds affect sexual drive and cause a gain weight (20-30 pounds). I also had a hair loss on Lexapro, muscle pain on Effexor. My doctor gave me Wellbutrin brand samples for 2 weeks-150mg a day. Wow, I started to feel a difference on the second day, my mood was excellent, I had a lot of energy, I could feel a joy from little things. The only side effects were: constipation and no appetite at all. "

Guest5251 September 23, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking 300mg for a few weeks now and I have to say this medication has definitely improved my quality of life. Such a big change from when I was trying Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, etc. Wellbutrin XL helps control my gloominess, anxiety, and even my appetite. I am more motivated to do things during the day. The biggest side effect for me right now is that I am more snappy and aggressive when I get angry, hopefully that will subside."

AnonWriting (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Saying goodbye to Wellbutrin. Sadly I have to come off this medicine after 2 years. It worked well for me, my weight went down and my sex drive went up. However, insomnia got the best of me. I could never get more than 4 hours of sleep a night and 6 with an Ambien. The lack of sleep is taking a toll on me sadly. I recommend this medicine and hope you don't have the sleep issues that I did."

penny3393 August 24, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Its been 3 days on Wellbutrin XL. My focus and mental clarity have improved so much. I feel like a different person. Love this medicine. I have energy, focus, creativity. "

J. K .J August 11, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking this medicine for depression and adult ADD like symptoms. I did not notice any side effects at all in the beginning, very easy to start taking. However, after taking it for about two months, I noticed I was very easily aggravated and overreacted to little things like crazy! Very emotional, crying, deep emotional pain. I did not wean off, I just stopped taking it because I didn't feel like "me". No adverse reaction in stopping for me although I don't recommend stopping cold turkey for others. Only plus was reduced appetite and increased libido!"

noconcentration July 31, 2013

"I was facing double depression for around 4 yrs from now. Recenty I met a doctor and he prescribed me this medicine (XL 150 1/day) as my concentration and depression was getting worse. Its been 1 month and I am feeling improved in my concentration and depression is also reduced. My mind used to be inactive or on state for most of time and felt scared all the time and that is also reduced immensely. Initially for 3 days I was not able to sleep but then everything was fine. I used to take quite a lot of alcohol twice a week which was not helpful so reduced the amount. There is some hair loss that I encountered. I also have noticed that the urge for smoke has reduced too."

johnisback July 24, 2013

"I knew it was risky to take an antidepressant given my symptoms but I was having trouble in my daily life and needed help. I began taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and for the first week I felt an increase in suicidal thoughts, tremors, and psychomotor agitation. It felt like I was going to die. After that week, my psychiatrist added Klonopin to help control these side effects. Since then, I have had an improvement in quality of life, which is all I can ask for."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2013

"Wellbutrin XL was the medicine that finally worked to ease my depression. I started treatment years ago on Lexapro. I gained 40 lbs in less than a year and my libido completely shut down. I tried Prozac (zombie) and Effexor then nothing for years. The depression got so bad, I was willing to try medications again. That's when I asked my doctor about Wellbutrin XL. It was (and still is) my only prescription medication, so I decided to accept the expense. Wellbutrin XL has done wonders for my depression, though less helpful on anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The issue is, the cost has steadily increased until this month it was $199! I don't know if I can continue to afford it."

Poor House June 1, 2013

"Tried Bupropion SR generic first, worked well for depression and rid me of my feelings of despair and hopelessness but it made me very irritable and I was up and down all day. I switched to genuine Wellbutrin XL and what a difference, can only assume the coating on these is superior as my irritation is completely gone and I feel leveled out all day. Was given Citalopram first and lasted four days on it, felt spaced out mentally but the sexual side effects were too much to deal with, none of those with Wellbutrin, in fact the opposite. I was at the end of my tether, this medicine makes me feel normal."

Stvn James (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2013

"I was given this to combat the extreme loss in libido I get from taking SSRIs (Lexapro) it fixed the problem and made me function quite normally once again, but made me have big waves of depression. Denitely not the medicine for me, but if you're looking to recover sexual functioning back, this is worth a shot."

Megadeth (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2013

"This worked very well for me. I had a hard time after my mother died and this worked wonders."

ms. renee March 21, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking it 24th Jan 2013, I weighed 414lbs. It's now 30th Jan and I weighed in at 405 lbs. Total pounds lost in 7 days 9lbs. It curbs the hunger and I don't crave for food. I am drinking lots of water and I have 2 cups of Green Vegs a day. Side Effects so far has been Insomnia however my doctor prescribe sleeping pills which I take 1 at night and I sleep right through. Will keep you all posted on Weightloss."

Kiwiana January 30, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works! Only four days on it and I'm already feeling great. Before all I did was sleep and now I actually go out and do things. No side effects so far. I'm on 150mg."

Anonymous January 28, 2013

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on a long list of medications for depression for many years, some worked for awhile, some not at all. Reached my lowest point 6 months ago and haven't really recovered. I finally took matters into my own hands and asked the doctor for Wellbutrin as the ratings looked overall pretty good. On day 3 now and seem to feel uplifted already.... Actually making plans for the day which I haven't done in months...still apprehensive to give a 10 rating but keeping hope. Had trouble sleeping but no other side effects have shown up yet."

MsElly (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Wellbutrin XL now for almost 7 years and I love it. Before starting Wellbutrin with the other medications I felt tired, could hardly function and could not think clearly, it was so bad I was ready to quit all the meds and just live my life depressed, I mean after all I was sleeping my life away anyway so it didn't matter. So I told my psychiatrist and she put me on Wellbutrin XL it took about 3 weeks to start noticing a big improvement I felt energetic I wanted to do things again my mood has been really good I could concentrate it helped me tremendously in my job and I was able to start living life to the fullest and be that fun loving, energetic person I want to be. I highly recommend this medicine."

Shelster36 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2013

164 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have struggled with depression for most of my life, after a particularly bad few months I decided it was best to talk to my doctor about medication. One of my biggest issues was concentration, which is why I was put on Wellbutrin XL. It didn't do much for my inability to concentrate, but it did wonders for my energy levels and general mood. I did experience side effects, my hands would shake, my stomach would get bloated and gassy, I had more trouble falling asleep, sometimes had ringing in my ears, but most of these either disappeared completely after about a month and the others are very diminished. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I ended up having to pair it with another antidepressant."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2013

"I take Bupropion HCL XL 150mg. I noticed an EXTREME improvement in my mood the very first day of taking it. I still take it with no side effects whatsoever. It helps me so much I cannot stress how much it has helped me for this past month of taking it."

RyGuy1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2012

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Well, it helped take the edge off for sure, but a month in, I started getting chest pain and shortness of breath. My blood pressure was at 135/90, having always been 118/78 before. I also have anxiety, so it may be related, but I didn't expect cardiac side effects! I'm 29, thin, and healthy."

Anonymous December 11, 2012

"i have been on 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for two days and I can already feel a difference. It has removed all appetite which seems to be a side effect but, in all fairness, I didn't have one before I started taking the meds! I have depression and panic attacks and after just 48 hours I am excited about the holidays! Baked five dozen Christmas cookies today! I haven't been interested in the holiday season in years! I DO recommend getting the brand name meds and not the generic, as I have heard many issues arising from the generic form. Happy holidays!"

buxmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2012

"After a couple of years of trying to cope on my own with PTSD, the symptoms became overwhelming, so I sought help. How glad I am that I did. Wellbutrin has been amazing for me. For some lucky people, it takes effect very quickly, and that was the case for me: within three days, my profound sadness and paralyzing pervasive sense of despair was gone, replaced by a cheerful, calm outlook. I was stunned by the radical change! Suddenly, I had energy, was able to again face daily challenges, and once again look forward each night to the next day. I haven't felt like this in years! The old me is back! Side effects - nightmares & tremor in arms - were minimal & only during 1st week."

SnowCrow (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2012

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I felt very little positive effect when I was on 150 SR for two months. After I switched to XL 300 I noticed a change. I have been taking this for about two months. All I can say is HANG IN THERE! For me the side effects were awful and it took so long to start feeling better. But now I do! I feel like myself again--I don't feel blissfully happy and I still get down at times but I feel like a normal human being. This quite literally saved my life."

Anonymous November 19, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Wellbutrin XL has saved my life. I have been on this medication for 18 months and my only regret is that I didn't start years earlier. I did not realize that I have been depressed for nearly 20yrs and with that came many side effects which included a full blown eating disorder. I was a compulsive over eater that had nothing to do with willpower. It was more like an alcoholic or drug addict. I am so happy now and love my life. Thank you Wellbutrin XL."

geminiLinda (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2012

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Several years ago around 2004, Wellbutrin (brand name) helped my depression. Here recently, I was taking the generic Bupropion (Wellbutrin). I recently changed again to the real Wellbutrin along with 1 mg Abilify and the results have been amazing!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2012