Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Like other reviewers, Wellbutrin gave me my life back. I have been taking it for 2 years and though I still have mood swings, the depression isn't nearly as severe as it once was. It started making a difference within three weeks. I have had virtually no side effects, and it has the added bonus of giving me energy. It has proved to be much more effective and more tolerable than SSRI's.

December 9, 2011 3:18 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Have been taking 300mg for 3 weeks now. I had HORRIBLE side effects in the beginning (for about a week) - almost unbearable nausea, diarrhea, sweating, vertigo, headaches, confusion and I felt like I had the flu. Now I have migraine headaches that last almost all day and ringing in my ears. I still feel a little foggy sometimes but that is a small price to pay for my depression being pretty much completely gone. I finally have energy and I am shocked at how quickly it worked. I was suicidal for months while on 225mg of Effexor and this has been a life saver.

November 8, 2011 5:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I wanted to rate this an 8.5. Not sure why. I have tried numerous medications for the past 15 years with many side effects or no effectiveness. Wellbutrin XL(300 mg) seems to work best for me. I have a lot more energy now where I was sleeping all weekend before. I can live with my side effects at this point. My appetite isn't very good but on the positive, I have lost weight and feel better about myself. I now have trouble sleeping, my heart rate has increased usually about 7 hours after I take it causing anxiety symptoms, sometimes my head is a little foggy and my memory recall is slow but I will accept these because of the energy and ability for me to now accomplish what I wasn't able to before.

October 26, 2011 2:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm 20 years old and in university. I've been depressed for a few years and eventually decided to stop suffering from it and decided to take action. I was started on Cipralex 20mg/day at first for a month and a half, but decided to discontinue due to the intolerable side effects. I decided to see my doctor in order to try out another medication in hopes that It'd be tolerated. He put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg/day. Just a few days in I suffered from stomach pain, considerable appetite loss and constipation (no movements for 4 days ), bouts of anxiety (out of character for me), mental cloudiness, confusion, short-term memory impairment, and a general 'spacey' feeling--so I stopped 2 weeks in. However it did alleviate my depression.

September 22, 2011 11:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started on Wellbutrin XL 150mg after severe depression set in after a traumatic life change. I could feel a difference within a few days. After 5 weeks I was still mopey but much better than I was before Wellbutrin. My doctor increased my dose to 300mg and I felt much better within a week. I have been on that dose for 4 weeks now and I feel good. I need to take the advice of exercising while on it to see if it helps increase my happy mood. Side effects were severe dizziness after standing up but that is now mild. Night sweats, hot flashes and dry mouth for a few weeks but that went away. Insomnia increased with dose increase, however, I do not feel overtired from getting less sleep (6 hrs a night). I would recommend definitely.

July 30, 2011 6:37 PM
Review by Rainotopia: User Rating:

Have been on this for years in conjunction with other medicines. Tried to stop taking since at one time doctor had me on 5 different medicine. Was able to drop of 3 of them. However, when I tried to stop Wellbutrin it was a NO GO. I wish I did not have to take anything but it is what it is.

May 20, 2011 4:02 PM

Definitely kills craving of food and cigarettes but with the XL I feel very moody and emotional. With SR it worked wonders for me.

April 25, 2011 11:26 AM
Review by MRSDJMCW: User Rating:

Was on this all last summer and felt fantastic. Then my psychiatrist took me off of it, and in 6 weeks I crashed into my deepest depression ever. Put back on it but took a while to work. Now that I am stable again, feeling good, she wants me off it again. I refused and found a new Doctor. I would never be without this, plus it kills my food cravings when depressed.

February 22, 2011 12:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been talking it for about 3 years and it works great.

December 6, 2010 9:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I use Wellbutrin XL 300mg. I am using it now for over 2 years early in the mornings. I also use Molipaxin 200mg in the evening. I was very sick. I had ECT for a couple of times. My Doctor prescribed Molipaxin after a long struggle with too much side effects of other anti-depressants. I used a lot of other anti-depressants over the years. I am using Molipaxin now for almost 4 years with almost no side-affects. I struggled with tiredness all the time and was described Wellbutrin in combination with Molipaxin. I can't tell you how it changed my life. It felt like I was alive and vibrant again. I had 2 bad panic attacks over the last two years. Before it used to happen almost everyday. I stopped all the Urbanol and Sleeping tablets.

November 3, 2010 4:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This medicine has done wonders for me. I've been under lots of stress for a long time, anxiety, depressed, unmotivated, negative, etc. Wellbutrin XL has recharged my battery and I feel excellent. There has also been a huge spike in the sex department. Amazing energy, so no worries there. I do tend to get headachy if I drink too much, and that threshold is far lower than it used to be. The good news is I don't really care as much about drinking anyway, so it's working out well.

October 14, 2010 1:17 PM
Review by anniecat: User Rating:

I was OK with Prozac for years until I hit "Prozac-poop-out". I then took Wellbutrin for several years and it was great... Until my insurance switched to the generic in June 2009, and it suddenly quit working. I had no idea of the switch until I started researching for something else that might actually work again and discovered the generic issue. I asked to be put back on the real thing, but the most my insurance was willing to do was to switch to a different generic manufacturer = marginally better. The insurance co. is throwing away money on generics that don't work! I am going to try again to get back on real Wellbutrin XL even though it will cost me quite a bit more -- it will be worth every penny!

September 22, 2010 12:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Only antidepressant that doesn't cause weight gain. Been on it for 7 years. Still have some lows, but nothing compared to without it. Did not cause me to lose weight, and did not prevent migraines for me. Side effects are more energy. I have been off this medicine and had no withdrawal like other antidepressants. Best one out there for someone who has depression with too much sleeping. I love it. And there is no risk in trying it, because there are no withdrawals. You can stop this medicine whenever you like and feel fine.

August 21, 2010 1:12 AM
Review by Gibson99: User Rating:

I love Wellbutrin. I'm currently on 300mg once a day. I am dealing with postpartum depression still even though my baby is 9 months. I tried Zoloft which made me sleep all the time. Now I have been on Wellbutrin for 1 month and its changed my life. I look forward to starting the day now and have an increase in sexual desire. No side effects so far.

August 4, 2010 1:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I took this for a month and a half to two months and I had severe dry mouth and was constantly tired or sleeping. It helped my depression a lot though.

July 29, 2010 12:47 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Feel relaxed, helps me stay asleep.

July 19, 2010 3:38 PM
Review by Mari765: User Rating:

I lost a family member, was on last semester of college, working part-time and the mild depression I had became a severe problem. I had dark thoughts and did not wanted to associate with anyone. Quit my job and had to apply for public assistance when my depression became a serious problem. I am now taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg a day since May 11 and at first I had dry mouth but it only lasted a month. I have not lost weight and my appetite is good. I am feeling much better but I think that one pill is not enough. Psychotherapy is also another help that goes hand by hand. Also I stop smoking a month ago. I also had to improve my life style doing exercise a few times a week, meditation, aromatherapy and eating habits.

July 7, 2010 4:52 PM
Review by dadoo4601: User Rating:

I'm 50 years old and got started on Wellbutrin XL (generic) about 14 days ago. Side effects are severe dry mouth and headache. I do feel somewhat better but am holding off still on giving rave reviews. Dry mouth is stronger during the night and then the headache comes in the morning. My morning suicidal thoughts have lessened and I've noticed that I am whistling more so I feel better but I still have some lethargy.

May 31, 2010 2:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm a 19 year old female prescribed 100mg of Wellbutrin XL. The Good: Positive feelings about future/self (initial), appetite loss/weight loss, increase in energy, clarity in thought (fluctuates), general feelings of optimism/excitement, increase in sex, increase in desire to be productive, makes depressive episodes manageable, stopped smoking, less desire to drink. The Bad: Insomnia, minor tremors/twitching, irritability, increased anxiety, frequent mood swings, periodic feelings of hopelessness and apathy throughout the day (but are more manageable than they had been before), decrease in desire to socially interact, loss of concentration. I've only been taking it for 3 weeks so I'm staying optimistic. I really want this medication to work.

May 27, 2010 1:10 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Depression, and I would not be surprised to be told I have ADD. ADD was something never thought of in my day. Anyway Wellbutrin XL 300 in one month has moved me out of a 3 year funk of sleeping all day if I could. Getting nothing done and things piling up, getting up to go all day and living off of 6, 7, 8 hours of sleep in a day, reduced eating in a good way and I could go on about any number of positives. Funny how I could be this lucky to find the drug that works for me. An inhibitor of dopamine re-uptake rather than ever being involved with taking various SSRIs as a first line of attack. So far I have nothing negative to say about this medicine except I wish I found this earlier for me.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 23, 2010 9:28 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Have been on this for 7 months now and have noticed an improvement with my depression symptoms. I started at 150mg and worked my way up to 450mg. I don't feel as hopeless and sad as I was. Side effects were minimal, but my periods have become very irregular since starting the Wellbutrin XL even though I'm on Yaz. I have been on Yaz for 3 years and never had a problem until I started taking the Wellbutrin XL, so I am going to discontinue use. If it weren't for that, I would definitely continue taking it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2010 9:11 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I use Wellbutrin XL and it helps my bipolar disorder and adult ADD!! It gives me better focus, eases anxiety, keeps me from becoming enraged for no reason and helps me from getting depressed! I no longer scream at my family (very important) and I don't sit and cry for no reason anymore! This is a miracle medicine for me.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2010 4:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've only been taking Wellbutrin XL for about a month, but it works better than the other drugs I've tried. I'm still not 100% maybe like 70% back to my old self. The side effects I have are dry mouth, ringing ears, and headaches. I haven't lost any weight like other people have said they have. I'm not that concerned with that part. I'm petite. I take 150 MG and I'm 18.

January 13, 2010 6:57 PM
Review by allie77: User Rating:

So far, my rating for Wellbutrin is 8 out of 10. I was very depressed in the fall and I'm not in the clear yet, but since starting Wellbutrin two and a half months ago I have improved greatly. To lessen side effects, my psychiatrist started me with 150 mg before raising the dose to 300 mg after two weeks. Three weeks after that, my mood took a bit of a downturn, but nothing like before I went on the medication. Yesterday, therefore, my doctor prescribed the highest possible dose of 450 mg. I am also trying to sleep and eat well and exercise regularly to help my depression. I’m not 100% yet but I’m trying to have some faith in this process. If this doesn't do the trick she'll add another medication in conjunction with Wellbutrin.

January 6, 2010 10:12 PM
Review by jennie_jenn: User Rating:

I took Wellbutrin XL for 1 week and experienced the worst side effects I have ever had. I ended up in the hospital, I was so shaky and just out of it I felt terrible.

October 20, 2009 7:46 AM