User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

Review by Lovinlife0525 (taken for less than 1 month):

I used bupropion xl 150 only used for 1 week. This made me so angry and irritable that my family couldn't stand me. I took Pristiq before this and it did the same thing plus made me gain 15lbs in 2 weeks. I do not think antidepressants are for me. They just make me way too angry. Bupropion also gave me itchy rash everywhere, headaches and made me constantly feel hungry, also made me have really bad dizzy spells and twitches in my neck. All of this and it didn't help my depression at all, in fact I feel worse since I've started taking medicines than I did before. I know this works wonders for a lot of people but I am not one of them.

May 6, 2012 10:23 AM

I am 47 year old female and depressed. 4/19/2012 I started taking the generic Bupropion. Experiencing horrific side effects switched to the brand name, Wellbutrin, and am much much better. It is worth the extra money to not have the horrible headaches and other side effects. Weight loss is a huge bonus! Good luck.

May 3, 2012 9:25 AM

I have been on this medication about 8 months and it has had a profound positive effect on my life. It lifted my mood and provided me the stabilization to start making positive adjustments to my thought process and handling of stress. At first I would get head rushes not totally unlike those from Adderall or other stimulants, but now that type of side effect is rare (maybe once a month and it only lasts a few minutes). I have always been on the thinner side, but I have noticed it has also helped with controlling appetite and has almost entirely killed my desire to smoke cigarettes even when drinking or other social circumstances. Simply put, this medicine may have saved my life and I feel like myself again.

April 6, 2012 2:19 PM

Review by immaculata:

I have been taking Wellbutrin for 6 months. It has changed my life. I have suffered with depression my whole life (I am 41) and only finally got help after being admitted to a psychiatric facility. The first two weeks on Wellbutrin were horrible. I had severe anxiety and gastrointestinal issues. I ate broth and crackers for a week! But every single side effect was gone in about 3 weeks. I sure know it doesnt work for everyone, but it certainly has for me. I know it can be scarey to try new medication, but give it a go; it might be the one for you.

April 5, 2012 6:32 AM

I'm 18 and have been having a lot of depression from having a surgery and finding out that I will have a hard time having kids. I'm currently on the 3 week of Wellbutrin and I'm feeling a lot better. The first week was horrible, insomnia, irritable. Week 2 was very tired but less depressed. Now I feel a lot better about life and about other things. I'm still quite shaky but it's not too noticeable unless I'm holding something. I'd say it's nice, helps.

March 28, 2012 12:51 PM

Review by Widow son:

Did not help with depression and anxiety I suffer from. The worst side affect I experienced was the inability to preform sexually. Lack of libido and caused impotence the entire time I was prescribed the medication.

March 18, 2012 12:15 AM

It's only day 2 and I swear I already feel more like myself. I don't even think it could be from a placebo effect...because I actually went to bed last night and woke up in the morning (this hasn't happened in years)! I used to wake up 4-5 times a night. I also woke up BEFORE my alarm and with energy! I regained my sex drive. I also feel more positive throughout the day, with less drops in energy. I am excited to see the effects as I continue this medication even longer. I tried for so long to battle my depression without meds, but feeling like myself again now has made me wish I did it sooner. I feel that I can be more productive & that my focus is better. Try it..there's no point in struggling so hard to feel normal, life is short!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2012 9:07 AM

Like other reviewers, Wellbutrin gave me my life back. I have been taking it for 2 years and though I still have mood swings, the depression isn't nearly as severe as it once was. It started making a difference within three weeks. I have had virtually no side effects, and it has the added bonus of giving me energy. It has proved to be much more effective and more tolerable than SSRI's.

December 9, 2011 3:18 AM

Have been taking 300mg for 3 weeks now. I had HORRIBLE side effects in the beginning (for about a week) - almost unbearable nausea, diarrhea, sweating, vertigo, headaches, confusion and I felt like I had the flu. Now I have migraine headaches that last almost all day and ringing in my ears. I still feel a little foggy sometimes but that is a small price to pay for my depression being pretty much completely gone. I finally have energy and I am shocked at how quickly it worked. I was suicidal for months while on 225mg of Effexor and this has been a life saver.

November 8, 2011 5:16 PM

I wanted to rate this an 8.5. Not sure why. I have tried numerous medications for the past 15 years with many side effects or no effectiveness. Wellbutrin XL(300 mg) seems to work best for me. I have a lot more energy now where I was sleeping all weekend before. I can live with my side effects at this point. My appetite isn't very good but on the positive, I have lost weight and feel better about myself. I now have trouble sleeping, my heart rate has increased usually about 7 hours after I take it causing anxiety symptoms, sometimes my head is a little foggy and my memory recall is slow but I will accept these because of the energy and ability for me to now accomplish what I wasn't able to before.

October 26, 2011 2:07 PM

I'm 20 years old and in university. I've been depressed for a few years and eventually decided to stop suffering from it and decided to take action. I was started on Cipralex 20mg/day at first for a month and a half, but decided to discontinue due to the intolerable side effects. I decided to see my doctor in order to try out another medication in hopes that It'd be tolerated. He put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg/day. Just a few days in I suffered from stomach pain, considerable appetite loss and constipation (no movements for 4 days ), bouts of anxiety (out of character for me), mental cloudiness, confusion, short-term memory impairment, and a general 'spacey' feeling--so I stopped 2 weeks in. However it did alleviate my depression.

September 22, 2011 11:31 PM

I started on Wellbutrin XL 150mg after severe depression set in after a traumatic life change. I could feel a difference within a few days. After 5 weeks I was still mopey but much better than I was before Wellbutrin. My doctor increased my dose to 300mg and I felt much better within a week. I have been on that dose for 4 weeks now and I feel good. I need to take the advice of exercising while on it to see if it helps increase my happy mood. Side effects were severe dizziness after standing up but that is now mild. Night sweats, hot flashes and dry mouth for a few weeks but that went away. Insomnia increased with dose increase, however, I do not feel overtired from getting less sleep (6 hrs a night). I would recommend definitely.

July 30, 2011 6:37 PM

Review by Rainotopia:

Have been on this for years in conjunction with other medicines. Tried to stop taking since at one time doctor had me on 5 different medicine. Was able to drop of 3 of them. However, when I tried to stop Wellbutrin it was a NO GO. I wish I did not have to take anything but it is what it is.

May 20, 2011 4:02 PM

Definitely kills craving of food and cigarettes but with the XL I feel very moody and emotional. With SR it worked wonders for me.

April 25, 2011 11:26 AM

Review by MRSDJMCW:

Was on this all last summer and felt fantastic. Then my psychiatrist took me off of it, and in 6 weeks I crashed into my deepest depression ever. Put back on it but took a while to work. Now that I am stable again, feeling good, she wants me off it again. I refused and found a new Doctor. I would never be without this, plus it kills my food cravings when depressed.

February 22, 2011 12:46 PM

I've been talking it for about 3 years and it works great.

December 6, 2010 9:44 PM

I use Wellbutrin XL 300mg. I am using it now for over 2 years early in the mornings. I also use Molipaxin 200mg in the evening. I was very sick. I had ECT for a couple of times. My Doctor prescribed Molipaxin after a long struggle with too much side effects of other anti-depressants. I used a lot of other anti-depressants over the years. I am using Molipaxin now for almost 4 years with almost no side-affects. I struggled with tiredness all the time and was described Wellbutrin in combination with Molipaxin. I can't tell you how it changed my life. It felt like I was alive and vibrant again. I had 2 bad panic attacks over the last two years. Before it used to happen almost everyday. I stopped all the Urbanol and Sleeping tablets.

November 3, 2010 4:33 PM

This medicine has done wonders for me. I've been under lots of stress for a long time, anxiety, depressed, unmotivated, negative, etc. Wellbutrin XL has recharged my battery and I feel excellent. There has also been a huge spike in the sex department. Amazing energy, so no worries there. I do tend to get headachy if I drink too much, and that threshold is far lower than it used to be. The good news is I don't really care as much about drinking anyway, so it's working out well.

October 14, 2010 1:17 PM

Review by anniecat:

I was OK with Prozac for years until I hit "Prozac-poop-out". I then took Wellbutrin for several years and it was great... Until my insurance switched to the generic in June 2009, and it suddenly quit working. I had no idea of the switch until I started researching for something else that might actually work again and discovered the generic issue. I asked to be put back on the real thing, but the most my insurance was willing to do was to switch to a different generic manufacturer = marginally better. The insurance co. is throwing away money on generics that don't work! I am going to try again to get back on real Wellbutrin XL even though it will cost me quite a bit more -- it will be worth every penny!

September 22, 2010 12:52 PM

Only antidepressant that doesn't cause weight gain. Been on it for 7 years. Still have some lows, but nothing compared to without it. Did not cause me to lose weight, and did not prevent migraines for me. Side effects are more energy. I have been off this medicine and had no withdrawal like other antidepressants. Best one out there for someone who has depression with too much sleeping. I love it. And there is no risk in trying it, because there are no withdrawals. You can stop this medicine whenever you like and feel fine.

August 21, 2010 1:12 AM

Review by Gibson99:

I love Wellbutrin. I'm currently on 300mg once a day. I am dealing with postpartum depression still even though my baby is 9 months. I tried Zoloft which made me sleep all the time. Now I have been on Wellbutrin for 1 month and its changed my life. I look forward to starting the day now and have an increase in sexual desire. No side effects so far.

August 4, 2010 1:33 PM

I took this for a month and a half to two months and I had severe dry mouth and was constantly tired or sleeping. It helped my depression a lot though.

July 29, 2010 12:47 AM

Feel relaxed, helps me stay asleep.

July 19, 2010 3:38 PM

Review by Mari765:

I lost a family member, was on last semester of college, working part-time and the mild depression I had became a severe problem. I had dark thoughts and did not wanted to associate with anyone. Quit my job and had to apply for public assistance when my depression became a serious problem. I am now taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg a day since May 11 and at first I had dry mouth but it only lasted a month. I have not lost weight and my appetite is good. I am feeling much better but I think that one pill is not enough. Psychotherapy is also another help that goes hand by hand. Also I stop smoking a month ago. I also had to improve my life style doing exercise a few times a week, meditation, aromatherapy and eating habits.

July 7, 2010 4:52 PM

Review by dadoo4601:

I'm 50 years old and got started on Wellbutrin XL (generic) about 14 days ago. Side effects are severe dry mouth and headache. I do feel somewhat better but am holding off still on giving rave reviews. Dry mouth is stronger during the night and then the headache comes in the morning. My morning suicidal thoughts have lessened and I've noticed that I am whistling more so I feel better but I still have some lethargy.

May 31, 2010 2:20 PM