User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

Review by Just a guy: User Rating:

This stuff worked wonders for me, and additionally I had absolutely no side effects what so ever from it, so talk about a double win when we tried this medicine out. Started on 300mg and it took about 75-80% of the edge off of the depression. Proceeded to add ability (had a rare side effect, made my eyesight horrible), added Prozac 40mg (helped but made me go limp in ways a guy never likes to happen), then down to 20mg (side effects mostly went away) but still not enough, went to 600mg of Wellbutrin and have been 100% depression free for the past 1 year.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 4:53 AM
Review by Kate D (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on 150 mg Wellbutrin with 50 mg Pristiq daily with nominal results. My doctor upped the Wellbutrin to 300 mg and it has made all the difference. It is like day and night. I just hope I keep responding to this medication forever. It has changed my life and given me hope again. Keep trying and talking to your doctor. Good luck!

March 16, 2014 12:25 AM
Review by Mama Lisa (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This medicine has saved my life. I was on it for several years (300 mg) and felt it wasn't helping any more so I quit it on my own. No problem quitting but a few months ago began feeling hopeless due to financial problems and could not do anything on weekends but lay around in bed and sleep my weekends away. I couldn't get anything done and put important things off that needed to be done. In just the last 2 days I can tell that I already want to get out of bed and do housework and get a shower. I didn't realize what Wellbutrin XL did for me but I do now and am grateful I am back in it!

March 1, 2014 11:59 AM
Review by Your Nickname: User Rating:

I started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL in Jul 2013 due to feeling very unmotivated, depressed, tired, and hopeless. After a few days I felt good, and by the second week I felt better than I had in several years. I increased the dose to 300mg in Oct because I was starting to feel down again. It helped a lot but by Jan I was very irritable/angry/bitter, so I lowered the dose to 150mg and restarted 40mg of Prozac and the anger subsided. To address some side effects: inability to fall asleep (went away after 2-3 weeks), increased libido (awesome), pretty much the same appetite (no weight loss or gain), vivid dreams (sometimes disturbing), more emotional (but not crazy/extreme), constipation (moderate-severe), sensitivity to caffeine (must avoid).

February 19, 2014 4:05 PM
Review by lex shugar: User Rating:

I have been using for less than a month. The only side effects I have experienced are headaches and adverse reactions to alcohol. My depression is better and I have more energy. I am a lot more irritable though. Not part of my personality. The reaction to alcohol sucks because I am a social drinker. Wine= metallic taste in my mouth. Beer= headaches within an hour. Liquor= nausea and feeling the urge to vomit. I hope this goes away along with the headaches. I am scheduled for a follow up with the doctor to discuss my progress. Maybe there is a recommendation for headache. Forgot to mention my appetite is more balanced and my libido is back to normal. Both a positive!

February 16, 2014 10:32 PM
Review by speerjam2000: User Rating:

I was on the generic for a while; unfortunately ALL of them didn't help. I switched over the the brand name 6 days ago and am experiencing less side effects so far and just feeling better overall. There is a big difference for me. I was able to find that the manufacturer has a program where the most you pay is $50 a month. I was lucky, they called my insurance and my copay is ZERO. There is definitely something going on with this and I am sure the manufacturer of the brand name is reimbursing the insurance companies somehow. Either way; my opinion : NO GENERIC FOR ANY WELLBUTRIN.

February 16, 2014 5:55 PM
Review by guest12: User Rating:

5th day on Buproprion XL150. I am supposed to take this once a week and then double the dose. Right now I am feeling I should not double up as I don't like the side effects. First few days I felt like heart was racing a little, jittery, clenching on teeth, trouble falling asleep. Am I still as depressed? No. Am I laying in bed and not getting my work done? No.I wouldn't say I am motivated, but I am getting done what needs to. Lost weight. No real appetite but at night I get hungry. My MAIN concern is I feel anxious and self-conscious. I am in school and I have a job where I need to work with superiors and be able to listen and perform. I feel like I am just going through the motions; an out of body experience. Will this end soon?

January 22, 2014 12:33 PM
Review by Bookjunkie (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've been on Bupropion XL 150mg for a little over a month. Though my depressive symptoms have subsided, I'm noticing an inability to lose weight as well as some very bizarre side effects such as rapid breast growth. (No, I am not currently pregnant.) While I am noticing an increased elated mood and a decrease in self injurious feelings, I am concerned about the weight issue and therefore I am now feeling slightly anxious and overly focused on my weight.

January 22, 2014 9:02 AM
Review by captainjacksparrow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on this medication for half a year. I was prescribed it for my ADHD and depression. It changed my life completely. As I have never felt so great in my whole life since I was a child. High motivation, increased energy, no suicide thoughts and it helped me to eat less and loose weight! I was on Lexapro for anxiety and panic for 5 years and gained a lot of weight. As well as that I had some other side effects with Lexapro. Happy!

December 30, 2013 8:46 PM
Review by CollegeStudentReview: User Rating:

I have never felt compelled to share my experiences about medications with others, but recently my mother shows me all of the horrible reviews that antidepressants are being given. I want others to know that there are in fact real people who benefit from antidepressants. I have been on Wellbutrin at 300 MG since March 2013, and while I did lose around 15 pounds (I was dieting at the time but the Wellbutrin also could have contributed to it) I have experienced little to no side effects at all, and I have found that I no longer experience crying spells or urges to hurt myself. The only warning I have is that it really does lower your tolerance to alcohol, so be mindful if you choose to drink.

December 24, 2013 11:47 PM
Review by So Much Happier (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I was previously taking 150 mg for years and it stopped working. Just started 300 mg XL three days ago and I feel great! I suffer from mild depression and anxiety/rage. In one day I noticed I had more energy and felt an overall feeling of hope and joy. I also have a terrible sweet tooth and noticed that it took my cravings away (I didn't expect that!). Since the holidays are here, people have been giving me chocolate and baked goods and I'm not even tempted. I feel great!

December 23, 2013 12:32 PM
Review by therealBP: User Rating:

I've been taking generic Bupropion XL (150mg) for three days and I can already say I feel like a new person. Before, I had no energy. Other than going to work, all I could do was lay around and feel sorry for myself. In just three days I feel more clear-headed, energetic, optimistic... I wish I had started it sooner! The only other medication that's worked for me in the past was adderall, but I couldn't go on taking it due to the many unwanted side effects. Bupropion has worked wonders - little to no side effects for me, other than a slightly increased sex drive and loss of appetite (though nothing compared to adderall in that department). I've also been having really vivid dreams, which I love, since I've never been one to remember them.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 14, 2013 4:58 PM
Review by chill79 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Third day on Wellbutrin and so far so good except for the side effects. I get headaches, angry and snapy over silly things, ringing in my ears. Those are the main side effects, and they're inconsistent up and down all long. I feel mentally alert and creative. And actually look forward to doing things. I haven't felt like that since I was a kid! Oh and my sex drive has increased. I found to be eating more food on this probably cause I've been more creative cooking in the kitchen. Just not sure if I'm into be angry/ snappy with my toddler around. Hopefully that side effect subsides.

November 14, 2013 1:48 PM
Review by Jenn,Roc,and Kendell Lynn: User Rating:

I had twins on April 8th. On the 11th of June I took my children to the doctor my 9 year old and the girls. The girls were receiving their 2mth old shot. All three kids left the doctors with a clean bill of health. Well that night my Autumn Rose passed away. I can't even describe the pain me and my husband and family are going through. Today is my 4th day taken 150 mg of this medication. I have noticed that I am becoming very angry for no reason at all. Last night was terrible I was freaking out throwing crap @ the house all because my husband and son woke the baby and she wouldn't go back to sleep. I don't know what to do it has only been 4 days and at times I feel so much better. I'm not walking and crying but I'm scared that the rage will not subside.

November 9, 2013 8:24 AM
Review by heyamykate (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for a little over a year, and it has dramatically improved my quality of life. I have struggled with depression for almost my entire life, and only recently sought out treatment, and WOW, what a difference! Wellbutrin didn't cause any weight gain - if anything I lost some weight - and it didn't decrease my sex drive. It took about a month for it to kick in, but it was well worth it.

October 15, 2013 10:47 AM
Review by santafegirl (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) is the one medicine I have been on continuously. I started on in it 2006. I believe it works, but since I have never been off of it I am not sure. Now that I am on Viibryd as well I am doing much better. The combination of the 2 medicines seem to be doing the job.

October 5, 2013 1:31 AM
Review by Guest5251: User Rating:

I was on Lexapro, Effexor and Cymbalta to treat my depression. All of these meds affect sexual drive and cause a gain weight (20-30 pounds). I also had a hair loss on Lexapro, muscle pain on Effexor. My doctor gave me Wellbutrin brand samples for 2 weeks-150mg a day. Wow, I started to feel a difference on the second day, my mood was excellent, I had a lot of energy, I could feel a joy from little things. The only side effects were: constipation and no appetite at all.

September 23, 2013 10:51 PM
Review by AnonWriting (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been taking 300mg for a few weeks now and I have to say this medication has definitely improved my quality of life. Such a big change from when I was trying Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, etc. Wellbutrin XL helps control my gloominess, anxiety, and even my appetite. I am more motivated to do things during the day. The biggest side effect for me right now is that I am more snappy and aggressive when I get angry, hopefully that will subside.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 12, 2013 2:55 PM
Review by penny3393: User Rating:

Saying goodbye to Wellbutrin. Sadly I have to come off this medicine after 2 years. It worked well for me, my weight went down and my sex drive went up. However, insomnia got the best of me. I could never get more than 4 hours of sleep a night and 6 with an Ambien. The lack of sleep is taking a toll on me sadly. I recommend this medicine and hope you don't have the sleep issues that I did.

August 24, 2013 11:57 PM
Review by J. K .J: User Rating:

Its been 3 days on Wellbutrin XL. My focus and mental clarity have improved so much. I feel like a different person. Love this medicine. I have energy, focus, creativity.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 11, 2013 9:56 PM
Review by noconcentration: User Rating:

I started taking this medicine for depression and adult ADD like symptoms. I did not notice any side effects at all in the beginning, very easy to start taking. However, after taking it for about two months, I noticed I was very easily aggravated and overreacted to little things like crazy! Very emotional, crying, deep emotional pain. I did not wean off, I just stopped taking it because I didn't feel like "me". No adverse reaction in stopping for me although I don't recommend stopping cold turkey for others. Only plus was reduced appetite and increased libido!

July 31, 2013 6:57 PM
Review by johnisback: User Rating:

I was facing double depression for around 4 yrs from now. Recenty I met a doctor and he prescribed me this medicine (XL 150 1/day) as my concentration and depression was getting worse. Its been 1 month and I am feeling improved in my concentration and depression is also reduced. My mind used to be inactive or on state for most of time and felt scared all the time and that is also reduced immensely. Initially for 3 days I was not able to sleep but then everything was fine. I used to take quite a lot of alcohol twice a week which was not helpful so reduced the amount. There is some hair loss that I encountered. I also have noticed that the urge for smoke has reduced too.

July 24, 2013 2:54 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I knew it was risky to take an antidepressant given my symptoms but I was having trouble in my daily life and needed help. I began taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and for the first week I felt an increase in suicidal thoughts, tremors, and psychomotor agitation. It felt like I was going to die. After that week, my psychiatrist added Klonopin to help control these side effects. Since then, I have had an improvement in quality of life, which is all I can ask for.

June 25, 2013 3:46 PM
Review by Poor House: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL was the medicine that finally worked to ease my depression. I started treatment years ago on Lexapro. I gained 40 lbs in less than a year and my libido completely shut down. I tried Prozac (zombie) and Effexor then nothing for years. The depression got so bad, I was willing to try medications again. That's when I asked my doctor about Wellbutrin XL. It was (and still is) my only prescription medication, so I decided to accept the expense. Wellbutrin XL has done wonders for my depression, though less helpful on anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The issue is, the cost has steadily increased until this month it was $199! I don't know if I can continue to afford it.

June 1, 2013 4:08 PM
Review by Stvn James (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tried Bupropion SR generic first, worked well for depression and rid me of my feelings of despair and hopelessness but it made me very irritable and I was up and down all day. I switched to genuine Wellbutrin XL and what a difference, can only assume the coating on these is superior as my irritation is completely gone and I feel leveled out all day. Was given Citalopram first and lasted four days on it, felt spaced out mentally but the sexual side effects were too much to deal with, none of those with Wellbutrin, in fact the opposite. I was at the end of my tether, this medicine makes me feel normal.

May 24, 2013 7:12 PM