User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"After having seizures back in December, doctor started me on lexapro for depress- made me sweat like crazy, light headed, uh, not function at work, then to zoloft, slightly better, still sweating intensely after first hour, seemed better than lexapro, stuck with it for 3 mos, no real change in depression; incredibly tired all day. Added Wellbutrin to mix, after 3 weeks couldn't be around any one, a total irritable ahole. Finally had enough, stopped wellbutrin and did extensive research about generics vs name brands. Despite FDA's approval many people report the generics are not nearly as effective. 3 days off fake wellbutrin, feel slightly better. getting of zoloft next. Perhaps brand names work, but i'll deal with my depression myself."

NoGenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

"Today was the first day I have had to take this medicine, I have already experienced the dry mouth, & not really caring to eat. I am only 20 years old, I've made a lot of dramatic changes in my life in the past month, & I've dealt with depression for a while but was honestly scared to admit it. I have read very many reviews and I am nervous about it, but at the same time I'm pretty happy to see the positive reviews, I'm wanting to feel happy like I should, & do things I want to do without worrying about what thought will ruin my plans for that day. Prayers would be appreciated while I get use to being on this, & start learning if it's for me or not."

Hellokitty♡ April 30, 2016

"26 year old male. Been on it for 31 days. 1st week 150mg xl: high speedy energy. Mild insomnia (up till 3am most nights). Waking early and generally good mood. 2nd week 300mg xl. Very high constant anxiety. Emotional swings. Broke down in tears one day. 3rd week: Things were smoothing out. Still slightly anxious. Less emotional. 4th week: Feeling completely normal almost like I'm not on any medication. More level headed and better mood with less swings. Anxiety disappearing and confidence growing. No side effects. This is in combination with seeking help from a counselor, and confiding with a close friend of mine about how depressed I have been over the years. I am happy I took it. It has got me back on my feet and allowed me to seek help."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

"It takes about 2 weeks to feel Wellbutrin kick in and about a month for it to be full effect. I am on 300 mg a day and take it in the morning only. If you take it too late it will keep you awake. I am on other med for Bipolar that cause weight gain, but this med seems to be the opposite and has actually helped me lose weight. Sometimes the med "runs out" in the afternoon and you can kind of feel the let down. It works great for depression and would be good if used by itself for weight loss. Would recommend using it, but you have to be patient with it."

cash58 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

"I was put on this after attempting suicide and being diagnosed with depression, this medication definitely made me stable but I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best one for me. There was still many occasions that I would think about cutting and suicide, although I never took it upon myself to attempt again, I did cut multiple times while on this medication. It worked best for me when it was paired with Zoloft or Prozac."

Erin Lolos March 31, 2016

"I have been taking Wellbutrin 300 mg XL for over 10 years after a major depression. It was very effective at stabilizing my mood. It also helps with my mental concentration and focus. I tried the generic which didn't seem to work as well. I am under extreme stress with a challenging job and s difficult relationship (separated now) because of my partners alcohol abuse. I was very fearful of another episode but so far have managed to remain stable. I would be lost without it."

Skinker (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2016

"Just switched over to Wellbutrin and so far, so good. I had been on Zoloft for a year, following a diagnosis of depression. Zoloft was just awful for me. The entire time I was on it, I battled chronic fatigue, no libido whatsoever, some memory loss, nerve problems, vertigo...you name it. And on top of all of that I completely stopped working out and put on 30lbs in 10 months. Feel like I am back on the road to being me on Wellbutrin. 150mg XL seems to work for me. Thank God- I was prepared to swear off any and all antidepressants if this didn't work. Also, I haven't drank alcohol for going on 10 years, so if you're sober that eliminates one of the big drawbacks for a lot of people."

DenverGuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"I have anxiety and depression. I tried SSRIs and they just masked the depression and caused sexual side effects. Wellbutrin XL helped me feel much better and I didn't have negative sexual side effects. Best sex I've ever had on Wellbutrin XL. Now with the future I think about, feel optimistic about and am planning for it . I don't have anxiety like I had. I am more philosophical, "Tomorrow will be a better day. I'm motivated to accomplish things. I wish I had found this med years ago."

Optimistic Very February 17, 2016

"So, I'm 18 and I was prescribed this medication about a year ago, but it was the generic brand of Wellbutrion 100 mg. Now I am on Wellbutrin 150 mg. Ever since I have been on this medication, I have become so irritable with everything. I'm not sure why. But it seems like every little thing sets me off and I can't stand anyone. It's to the point that I'm starting to get I'm trouble with my parents, my boss at work, and even sometimes at school... I get so aggravated with everyone and everything. It has caused me very bad anxiety. I have an appointment scheduled with my psychiatrist in 3 days and I am going to be lowered off of this medication. It has been the worst experience with medications I've had. It's made me miserable!"

17 girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2016

"I read a lot of people saying that it's not working all that well for them, although I see one point in common here, it's only been 2 weeks. On some people it takes a little longer. I would say at least 3 to 4 weeks to get the full effect. Sometime you have to take a higher dosage. I'm at 200 mg now, and I see a difference. Talk to your doctor is 150 mg is not working for you.At the same time I have to admit, that at the beginning it's really hard regardless...so give time. Good luck everyone."

CLO2016 February 9, 2016

"I got on Wellbutrin Xl 150mg cause I was having a hard time with racing thoughts and depression . It's been two weeks and my anxiety went up from a 6 to like 100 it also makes me afraid I'll hurt my self when I get the strong anxiety feeling its weird. I also have been really shaky inside and nausea it's hard to eat I get so sick at my stomach which isn't so bad I need to lose some lbs . I told my doc and he is going to add abilify 2 mg to see if it helps . I haven't picked up the prescription yet till later today. I hope it helps . I just want to feel normal again enjoy life instead of dwelling on everything. "

Bettyblu (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

"I've been on this for about 6 weeks. So far it's working for depression. Much better than Zoloft was for me. With the Zoloft, I had no emotions. I was a drone just going through day to day. With Wellbutrin I'm not depressed (or at least not nearly as much), and I can actually feel joy again. Also, the weight loss is a plus. The cons to this medication is sometimes I have Cottonmouth, once in a while my hands shake (though this hasn't happened recently, could have just been when my body was adjusting. And it wasn't frequent), and I really have no appetite for breakfast or lunch (I need to force down my breakfast, and I'm just not hungry at lunch). I'm going to continue this medication for a while."

Klondike Blame January 16, 2016

"It is the best has really helped me I fill like my old self thank god for this medicine"

JMark c January 10, 2016

"I had weened off Effexor in October as I was tired of the side effects. I wanted to go the natural route with exercising and eating better to see if it would help. Unfortunately I have been going through a hard time and needed something to help me through this. I started on Wellbutrin XL , 150 mg, about 2 weeks ago. I honestly can't tell if it is helping or not. I feel about the same mood wise ...very sad, crying a lot, no appetite, sense of failure and no hope. I know things can't change immediately but was hoping I could be one of the individuals that experience positive results. Hope this changes eventually."

Phoebe Haliwell (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

"I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 7 weeks now (adult ADD and comorbid depression). I experienced some of the common side effects such as dry mouth and loss of appetite, but everything came back to normal after a few weeks. Sadly, I haven't noticed much change in terms of mood or attention/focus... It hasn't worsened but it hasn't improved either. Then again I know this is a low dose. I saw my doctor today and he switched my prescription to Wellbutrin XL 300mg. I'm starting tomorrow and I hope it will work better for me. I'm eager to give it another try since I've seen a lot of positive reviews on here :)"

Veronique23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

"I am making this solely because I remember looking up reviews of antidepressants before I ever took one and being terrified of what my life might look like if I started taking one. I took Lexapro for 3 days and felt like a zombie, and swore off antidepressants. However, my depression continued. Thankfully my roommate who is also a 21 year old junior in college told me about her positive experience. I feel like a completely different person now. The first two weeks my emotions were all over the place, and my anxiety was high. Anxiety is still factor sometimes, but it gets less frequent every week. At 5 weeks on Wellbutrin my life has changed for the better. I finally feel like I can live the life that I was meant to. And I've lost weight!"

Dria (Guera) December 22, 2015

"Feel great, no side effects"

Stewart, heath December 17, 2015

"I Experienced horrible vertigo on this medication. Eventually caused a seizure followed by an excruciatingly painful nerve attack that I had never experienced before. I am now diagnosed with fibromyalgia 6 months later after stopping this medication. I think that the seizure it caused might have permanently damaged my nerve functions."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

"I was skeptical of both this medicine and the depression diagnosis, but I had to try something to break the cycle of low motivation and anxiety. I've only been on 150mg for three days and the change has been incredible! My writing muse is back and I've gotten fantastic feedback from my new job. I hope it stays this way!"

Lizblackcat (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

"I have been on the generic version of Wellbutrin XL since July 1, 2015. It took about a week for me to notice any change but it was definitely for the better. I started to feel like my old self again. Happy, fun, energetic, and social. Every once in a while I still have a bad day but it's much more manageable now. I haven't experienced any negative side effects and have actually lost 30lbs since I started taking it. Overall, I am doing much better now that I am on Wellbutrin."

Hazel837 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

"I have been on generic wellbutrin XL 150mg for about a month and a half now. All I can say is that it is an interesting drug. I didn't want to really go on it because, while I have depression, it is not that bad. I was hoping to get on something to help my anxiety because that is way worse. Well the first 3 weeks I was on it were fine. I felt a little bit more energy and libido and no side effects. Then all of a sudden from week 3-4 I got extremely anxious, stressed, and angry. Everything made me angry. I can happily say that those side effects have passed and I now have none. These last 2 weeks have been great. Tons of energy and drive. Love cleaning now for some reason and I used to hate it."

Mcgell54 December 2, 2015

"I've been on and off this medication but nothing related to the drug. I was diagnosed with dysthymia one year ago and then it aggravated with a major depression so I started sertraline, after the adjustment period it was the best I was always happy with lots of energy, and lost 30 pounds in like 3 months, loved it. then my psych decided to change me to wellbutrin. I felt fine, with energy, and wanting to do stuff. because before I couldnt get up of my bed but, yes I felt the wellbutrin rage (those days when u look like u have PMS), I never lost a single pound on it (which i dont like). But didn't appear to gain more weight either. Lately I'm feeling lightheaded, I dont sleep well cuz the vivid dreams, which makes me tired but the libido is back up"

theDoctorBel (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

"WellbutrinXL 150mg for 3 weeks. This medication has changed my life. Went to PMC to renew Ritalin prescription after Adult ADD diagnosis. Family history of depression, PSTD (combat-related). Personal history of adolescent drug and alcohol abuse (nothing hard). Held a firm belief depression could be "powered through". Apparently depression has set in at 33, which I treated with Adderral and Ritalin. My drinking got so heavy I fell and suffered a serious concussion. Doctor denied my Ritalin script and prescribed Wellbutrin. Had side effects: severe bloating, headache, pressured speech. All gone. Energy is sky high, focus is on point, and weight is down. Can't say enough about this medication. Hope it stays this amazing forever."

TM123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I've been battling depression for years now. I am now 42. About 10 years ago, I tried Wellbutrin xl 150mg once a day. It's the only antidepressant I've ever tried and it worked wonders! I wasn't sad anymore, I lost weight and I was happy. Then a few years later, it was changed to generic and life wasn't the same. I was sad all the time, gained weight, basically depressed. Flash forward to a few months ago. Found the Wellbutrin site that's assists with getting the name brand drug for $50 a month. I have now been on Wellbutrin xl 300mg once a day for three months now. I still don't feel as sad or down. Life is definitely looking up more often than not but I have not lost any weight this time, which in turn makes me depressed. I will continue"

bellaboo14 November 2, 2015

"I was depressed and sad with no motivation. I had suffered several losses and could not seem to recover. Developed anxiety. I just wanted to be my carefree busy self again. My Dr gave me 100mg Welbutrin. I took it for a few weeks and felt just weird, not better. My Dr suggested I double the dose. ! I took 200mg and immediately felt suicidal. My bf had to restrain me from jumping out the window or slicing my throat. The mist awful feeling of my life. But I learned that compared to that feeling, I wasn't that depressed and I went on trazadone for sleeping issues. Helped greatly. As well as strenuous exercise an hour a day. I'm sure some meds work, but I feel as if you are playing Russian Roulette with your life."

Otter612 October 31, 2015