User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"I've been on this for about 6 weeks. So far it's working for depression. Much better than Zoloft was for me. With the Zoloft, I had no emotions. I was a drone just going through day to day. With Wellbutrin I'm not depressed (or at least not nearly as much), and I can actually feel joy again. Also, the weight loss is a plus. The cons to this medication is sometimes I have Cottonmouth, once in a while my hands shake (though this hasn't happened recently, could have just been when my body was adjusting. And it wasn't frequent), and I really have no appetite for breakfast or lunch (I need to force down my breakfast, and I'm just not hungry at lunch). I'm going to continue this medication for a while."

Klondike Blame January 16, 2016

"It is the best has really helped me I fill like my old self thank god for this medicine"

JMark c January 10, 2016

"I had weened off Effexor in October as I was tired of the side effects. I wanted to go the natural route with exercising and eating better to see if it would help. Unfortunately I have been going through a hard time and needed something to help me through this. I started on Wellbutrin XL , 150 mg, about 2 weeks ago. I honestly can't tell if it is helping or not. I feel about the same mood wise ...very sad, crying a lot, no appetite, sense of failure and no hope. I know things can't change immediately but was hoping I could be one of the individuals that experience positive results. Hope this changes eventually."

Phoebe Haliwell (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

"I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 7 weeks now (adult ADD and comorbid depression). I experienced some of the common side effects such as dry mouth and loss of appetite, but everything came back to normal after a few weeks. Sadly, I haven't noticed much change in terms of mood or attention/focus... It hasn't worsened but it hasn't improved either. Then again I know this is a low dose. I saw my doctor today and he switched my prescription to Wellbutrin XL 300mg. I'm starting tomorrow and I hope it will work better for me. I'm eager to give it another try since I've seen a lot of positive reviews on here :)"

Veronique23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

"I am making this solely because I remember looking up reviews of antidepressants before I ever took one and being terrified of what my life might look like if I started taking one. I took Lexapro for 3 days and felt like a zombie, and swore off antidepressants. However, my depression continued. Thankfully my roommate who is also a 21 year old junior in college told me about her positive experience. I feel like a completely different person now. The first two weeks my emotions were all over the place, and my anxiety was high. Anxiety is still factor sometimes, but it gets less frequent every week. At 5 weeks on Wellbutrin my life has changed for the better. I finally feel like I can live the life that I was meant to. And I've lost weight!"

Dria (Guera) December 22, 2015

"Feel great, no side effects"

Stewart, heath December 17, 2015

"I Experienced horrible vertigo on this medication. Eventually caused a seizure followed by an excruciatingly painful nerve attack that I had never experienced before. I am now diagnosed with fibromyalgia 6 months later after stopping this medication. I think that the seizure it caused might have permanently damaged my nerve functions."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

"I was skeptical of both this medicine and the depression diagnosis, but I had to try something to break the cycle of low motivation and anxiety. I've only been on 150mg for three days and the change has been incredible! My writing muse is back and I've gotten fantastic feedback from my new job. I hope it stays this way!"

Lizblackcat (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

"I have been on the generic version of Wellbutrin XL since July 1, 2015. It took about a week for me to notice any change but it was definitely for the better. I started to feel like my old self again. Happy, fun, energetic, and social. Every once in a while I still have a bad day but it's much more manageable now. I haven't experienced any negative side effects and have actually lost 30lbs since I started taking it. Overall, I am doing much better now that I am on Wellbutrin."

Hazel837 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

"I have been on generic wellbutrin XL 150mg for about a month and a half now. All I can say is that it is an interesting drug. I didn't want to really go on it because, while I have depression, it is not that bad. I was hoping to get on something to help my anxiety because that is way worse. Well the first 3 weeks I was on it were fine. I felt a little bit more energy and libido and no side effects. Then all of a sudden from week 3-4 I got extremely anxious, stressed, and angry. Everything made me angry. I can happily say that those side effects have passed and I now have none. These last 2 weeks have been great. Tons of energy and drive. Love cleaning now for some reason and I used to hate it."

Mcgell54 December 2, 2015

"I've been on and off this medication but nothing related to the drug. I was diagnosed with dysthymia one year ago and then it aggravated with a major depression so I started sertraline, after the adjustment period it was the best I was always happy with lots of energy, and lost 30 pounds in like 3 months, loved it. then my psych decided to change me to wellbutrin. I felt fine, with energy, and wanting to do stuff. because before I couldnt get up of my bed but, yes I felt the wellbutrin rage (those days when u look like u have PMS), I never lost a single pound on it (which i dont like). But didn't appear to gain more weight either. Lately I'm feeling lightheaded, I dont sleep well cuz the vivid dreams, which makes me tired but the libido is back up"

theDoctorBel (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

"WellbutrinXL 150mg for 3 weeks. This medication has changed my life. Went to PMC to renew Ritalin prescription after Adult ADD diagnosis. Family history of depression, PSTD (combat-related). Personal history of adolescent drug and alcohol abuse (nothing hard). Held a firm belief depression could be "powered through". Apparently depression has set in at 33, which I treated with Adderral and Ritalin. My drinking got so heavy I fell and suffered a serious concussion. Doctor denied my Ritalin script and prescribed Wellbutrin. Had side effects: severe bloating, headache, pressured speech. All gone. Energy is sky high, focus is on point, and weight is down. Can't say enough about this medication. Hope it stays this amazing forever."

TM123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I've been battling depression for years now. I am now 42. About 10 years ago, I tried Wellbutrin xl 150mg once a day. It's the only antidepressant I've ever tried and it worked wonders! I wasn't sad anymore, I lost weight and I was happy. Then a few years later, it was changed to generic and life wasn't the same. I was sad all the time, gained weight, basically depressed. Flash forward to a few months ago. Found the Wellbutrin site that's assists with getting the name brand drug for $50 a month. I have now been on Wellbutrin xl 300mg once a day for three months now. I still don't feel as sad or down. Life is definitely looking up more often than not but I have not lost any weight this time, which in turn makes me depressed. I will continue"

bellaboo14 November 2, 2015

"I was depressed and sad with no motivation. I had suffered several losses and could not seem to recover. Developed anxiety. I just wanted to be my carefree busy self again. My Dr gave me 100mg Welbutrin. I took it for a few weeks and felt just weird, not better. My Dr suggested I double the dose. ! I took 200mg and immediately felt suicidal. My bf had to restrain me from jumping out the window or slicing my throat. The mist awful feeling of my life. But I learned that compared to that feeling, I wasn't that depressed and I went on trazadone for sleeping issues. Helped greatly. As well as strenuous exercise an hour a day. I'm sure some meds work, but I feel as if you are playing Russian Roulette with your life."

Otter612 October 31, 2015

"I have been on antidepressants for 5 yrs and several of them made me gain weight and I always had this feeling of shakiness. My Dr switched me to a combo of Wellbutrin XL and Prozac 20mg. I've lost like 15 pounds and feel way better!! Made such a huge difference for me in how I feel about myself. I agree with others that have posted, I only take brand name meds. I've heard so many issues with how generics don't work as well. To me, to feel better and finally be able to enjoy life, it is worth it. My two cents..."

No name01... (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2015

"I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg 2 days ago, and almost immediately it has taken my "sadness" away to the point that I don't feel the heaviness on my chest anymore. I even told my Mom that I feel normal -- and this is what normal people feel like. I can honestly say I have been depressed for 3 years after 2 breakups, job/career issues and a death of a friend. I can say I feel no emotions (I guess I have been so sad for so long, I didn't know any other emotion but sadness and depression)."

Elegant Phoenix (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

"I know it's different for everyone, but this drug brought me from suicidal to actually enjoying life in less than a month. I'm not jumping for joy by any means, but I'm certainly not UNhappy."

Kyle, Age 21 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2015

"I was on wellbutrin XL 300mg for 6 years. After 3 years I started having extreme woozy/lightheaded spells that were ruining my life. Everyone kept blaming it on my anxiety. After three years of hating life I went off of wellbutrin. It took over 30 days before I even started to see relief, but by the 90 day mark I was free from those spells. I have my life back. It would not have gone away. Wellbutrin helps with the kind of depression where you have NO motivation and crave sugar. It will make you dehydrated, constipated, edgy, and a light sleeper that only needs about 6 hours per night. It isn't good for anxiety and will not help it. During the adjustment period you could lose about 10 lbs and have the most vivid nightmares ever."

Sadgirl007 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 6, 2015

"I really wanted Wellbutrin to work. I was given 150 mg once daily. At first it seemed to be helping with minimal side effects, but about 4 or 5 weeks in I was so depressed and not even getting out of bed. I was so agitated, even with the addition of a mood stabilizer. Wellbutrin was not a pleasant experience for me."

Anon0000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2015

"Lost 20 pounds unintentionally. Became hostile, psychotic, and dangerous to be around. Body rash, itching, nausea. 300 mg/day. Had to stop after 3 months."

Slergug October 1, 2015

"I started taking this drug a few years ago for post partum depression. Was on it for a year and went off. I had severe eye floaters while taking it and when I weened off of it very slowly I had major heart palps, blurry vision, would feel like there was warm water dripping down my leg. It was very weird. However, while on it I did feel better emotionally and lost weight. Recently because of several adverse events in my life I decided to try it again. Again, the eye floaters are back. Had some muscle spasms and shakiness. Right now it's 5:30 in the morning and I've been up since 3:30am. I usually take melatonin and that totally helps but I forgot to take it before bed. However, once again it has helped me emotionally in a big way."

Lee Bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2015

"I was on generic Bupropion for almost 2 years (Hcl XL 150 mg) and it was ok. It did help with the depression but towards the end of the day (took pill 7 am) by 5 pm I was feeling down and irritable again, I never really thought about it until everything I've read about the generics having time release issues so I know it's not just me! I def had more energy, and was good during the day, but 5pm I shut down emotionally. I tried switching to generic Bup Hcl XL 300 mg last year but only made it 5 days in before switching back due to anxiety/no sleep side effects. I really hated that my mail order RX company would switch manufacturer of my drug-one bottle was from Global and the next Actavis. Now on brand Wellbutrin XL300mg and hoping it wrks!"

TElizabeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2015

"I had constant diarrhea, 3-4 times a day. I had a loss of appetite and had gotten to the point that I couldn't stand to even think about food. Thinking about what to eat or cook for my family actually caused anxiety. I lost 10 lbs in 9 nine days. About the 5th or 6th day I started to be unable to sleep during the night. I woke up every hour. During the day I would have waves of nervous energy, almost like the feeling you get when you experience the fight or flight response. The last day I took it I woke up at 4 am with diarrhea, left sided abdominal pain that radiated to my back and shoulder, and heart palpitations. A trip to the ER revealed that I had a large amount of stool and gas in my colon. I had a miserable experience with Wellbutrin"

Nervous Nelly 304 August 28, 2015

"Mentally, I had no hallelujah moment. My slow and steady upward climb could be Wellbutrin and/or therapy. I began with 150 XL, moved up to 300 XL, began developing rashes, and so I moved back down to 150 XL. Within a month of taking 150 XL, I had transient weird and sharp pains in my right thumb. It was located just under the thumbnail, in the "corner" closest to the palm and the rest of the fingers. It started slowly, and got much worse. It hurt in the morning, after eating, after exercising, and when I was cold (or too hot). I had several MRIs, tumor diagnoses, and surgeries which did not fix the sometimes crippling pain. I stopped taking Wellbutrin recently and the pain has already subsided substantially. The more you know."

SuzieCue August 18, 2015

"BRAND NAME! I have been on this medication for a little over two weeks. I started off with generic 150mg xl to 300 mg xl after a week. My insurance covers the generic for $5 but I've heard awful stories about it and ordered the brand name via the Internet for $50. Huge difference! I don't have the anxiety I had on generic, clammy hands constantly, fear, and it really didn't do much. The name brand is energetic, calming, focused, more self motivated and leads away from negative behaviors. This is my first day on name brand and I was compelled to tell my story and the difference. You can get the name brand through the Wellbutrin guarantee prescription online. Rated 9 because I am fully alert and still awake."

Purplerain1983 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015