User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"Started this med on June 2nd 2015 with 75mg no difference a month later, I am up to 150mg no difference scrappy mood no desire to do anything. I drag my self out of bed every morning I am now on 300mg a month later hopefully some miracle would happen I am going to give another month with the 300mg dose, if there is no change, I am trying some thing else. I am so sick of this drugs that take weeks to work and then no result so you have to try something else. I'll keep you posted. By the he way today July 26 is my 3rd day on 300mg. Wish me luck"

ramee2004 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015

"Been on 150 for 3 weeks. It's been up and down but overall up. I'm bipolar and have rage issues so I was very worried about that but it has actually been less of an issue than with other antidepressants I've been on (Celexa, Lexapro) and tried unsuccessfully (Cymbalta, Prozac, Latuda). Also, I tried the generic non XL a few years ago and it did throw me into a blind range. I was a little prone to "upsetness" like sensitivity that I would then lash out in anger, but not rage, for the first two weeks. Had some anxiety issues but those have dispersed. Otherwise, libido is normal again after Lexapro and now getting motivated to get out of bed to eat or go to work or shower is like picking up a 1 lb weight instead of a 20 lb weight. 25yoF"

JennyG476 July 22, 2015

"This stuff has worked great for me. No side effects other than first 6-8 weeks needed time to adjust. Give it a full 8 weeks to kick and like you may have restored that dopamine and be back you your old self. I took this in conjunction with 25mg DHEA/day, which I also think is an awesome OTC supplement, especially for seniors (which I do not consider myself!) 59 years old."

MikeinCA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2015

"I've been on this medication a few times now. Gone off of it for several different reasons but nothing relevant to the medication itself. I've been on it for the third time 2 or 3 months now. I love it! I always have. It manages my depression, actually manages my anxiety and panic attacks, makes me feel content, keeps me awake during the day, has increased my sex drive and is just a wonderful medication. Works different for everyone. If you're scared to start it because of the reviews, don't be. I strongly encourage you to at least give it a try."

CreativeSpiderling (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

"Been on depression meds for many years, specifically Celexa 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150, Lamictal (brand name) 150mg for bipolar disorder. Lately feeling like I cry easily, got agitated easily and stressed out if trying to do too many things at once. If someone upset me it would take days to come out of the dark cloud of depression/sadness. Finally went back to my doc a week ago and he upped my Wellbutrin XL to 300mg. I feel great but only negative is that it is keeping me from sleeping through the night, only on day 5. Doc said to take it early in the morning like 7 am since later can keep you up. Feel less distracted, more focused but still a little "edgy"/anxious & hope that will get better."

Nannydoglover June 9, 2015

"I was afraid to take Wellbutrin at first but my anxiety and emotions were out of control so I decided to give it a try. This is my first antidepressant med and on day one I notice a feeling of calmness. I had no emotional upsets. Now I am on day 4 and I haven't cried at all. I sometimes find myself dazing off in space though with nothing on my mind. I sleep through the night and my appetite is back. I drink plenty water throughout the day. I went to get a pedicure and my legs were shaky for some reason. But overall so far so good I feel a lot better and looking forward to brighter days!!!"

Anna82 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

"Others have warned abut this but DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE ANXIETY ISSUES. I took this for two weeks at 150mg. First week was fine, felt blunted emotionally a bit which was not necessarily a bad thing. Around day 11 I started having bad anxiety about 10 hours after dosage and I felt sore and worn out. It was unbearable, I did this for 3 days more before quitting. I contacted my Dr who said I did the right thing. THEN I was emotionally in pain for a few days and weeping about every hour. I felt raw, like I had not skin to protect me. They say wellbutrin is easy to drop well I don't know...it might be because of my anxiety but I feel a lot worse now then I did before taking it."

Ariel M. June 7, 2015

"I've been on Wellbutrin for 6 months now for anxiety and depression and I feel AMAZING.... I've lost 30lbs and still losing. Not through any actual work on my part. I just find that I'm not as hungry. I'm full of energy every morning and it last all day. I've also noticed an insane increase in Libido and I've easily kicked some bad habits without really trying..... Like biting my nails.... Just doesn't happen anymore. I also don't have any desire for alcohol or cigarettes. For once in my life since starting this long road of anti-depressants, I FINALLY feel like this is the one for me. The only negative side effects I have noticed is my chest/neck stays flush and I really do have to remind myself to eat."

AunnieD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2015

"Update: checking in on week 5 at 300mg of generic XL made by Par Pharmacuticals. I can't say enough positive things about this medicine. I have had practically no bad side effects except a slightly more noticible 'ringing' in my ears. It is not bothersome and I only notice it it complete silence. On the plus side is virtually a new outlook on life, absence of any sad or hopeless feelings, reduced anxiety, tons of all day energy, focus, and enthusiasm, increased libido, desired weight loss and a shift in personality. I feel like I did when I was younger and full of hope, plans, and happy to greet the day. My jobs are more fulfilling, relationships improved, confidence restored. People notice! I had no idea I was that depressed. Amazing!"

Vinylfind (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"Hello all I am a 21 year old female. I started taking Wellbutrin 2 months ago, and I felt a difference within about 2 weeks, and full effect at almost 4 weeks. It was great for a while but it increased my anxiety a lot where I'm not doing the things I used to enjoy, it did help with my depression and energy a ton though and I've gotten more done since I've been on the medication then I have in the last 6 months combined. But to me it isnt worth it, I was on Celexa 8 months ago, and it worked fine..but it made me pretty zombie like. On this medication I feel like theres an elephant sitting on my chest I cant even take my daughters for their after dinner walk because I have such shortness of breath. I am going to ask my doctor for a diff med!"

victoria.2305 May 11, 2015

"Was prescribed a paxil and wellbutrin combo twelve years ago, and the effects fell away over time. Dr kept wellbutrin, dropped paxil, and replaced paxil with a series of meds that increased anxiety, made concentration super hard, and I felt constantly nauseous. Starting tomorrow on only wellbutrin xr. I'll report back. I really need to feel better."

Pasadena 5660 May 4, 2015

"I've been battling moderate anxiety and depression for most of my adult life. I'm 24 now, and since my official diagnosis at age 20 I have tried 4 other medications (Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Buspar) and found that each one increased my anxiety, or made me a despondent zombie. 3 months ago my PCP put me on Wellbutrin. Let me tell you, this medication saved my life. I went from spending days lying in bed, smoking weed, having daily panic attacks, to waking up with a desire to take on the day. In the few months since I've been on the medication I've lost 30 pounds. It suppresses the urge to binge eat and provides energy for the gym. My friends said I finally seem like me again. Highly recommended if you hate SSRI's like me!"

StephiStar April 27, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used to take 75mg 2x a day and quit. I felt like it was not working and had terrible side effects. After 6 months of not taking medications, and situations got hard to cope, I asked to be put back on. The second time around, the 75mg had me very nervous, anxious, dizzy and "dopey". The doctors said that the immediate release is harsh on your system and switched me to 150 mg XL. And just 3 days in to the new dose, I do not have such harsh side effects. The only side effects I have is no appetite, dry mouth and vivid dreams. Overall, I am no longer having obsessive negative thoughts (which triggered my anxiety), so I'm overall not as anxious or having panic attacks. I feel more motivated and energetic, but its only 3 days in on this dose."

Anonymous April 26, 2015

"After being prescribed this medication, I read up on it and was afraid to take it. It stayed in my drawer for three months. Recently my depression and anxiety has become serious as several difficult events on my life are unfolding. I decided to start it. This is my first day and though it may have been a placebo effect, I wasn't particularly worried. I functioned very well at work, even laughed a bit and smiled. I had no adverse reaction. I'm at the eight hour mark and still feel pretty good considering the stressful situations in front of me. I'm on 150 for three days then to 300. I hope this will give me my life back"

Vinylfind (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2015

"DO NOT TAKE THIS IF YOU HAVE ANXIETY OR A PANIC DISORDER. at first I loved the stuff. I had the drive to actually get out of bed and do stuff. I exercised often, lost weight, became more social. However, I suffer from anxiety and after awhile, the medication made it 1000x worse. I suffered panic attacks weekly. It's just not worth it for those who have anxiety."

Nnabuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

"I have been suffering with outrageous anxiety and depression of and on for years. I have tried zoloft and used xanax until it didn't work anymore. I was just about to give up and felt like I was losing my mind when I was prescribed Wellburtrin XL 300mg only in the generic. I had taken it for two months and felt NOTHING. I was desperate. Then a friend who also uses it said to switch to the name brand. I kept reading how after 3 days you feel different, and I DID TOO! I hope this continues because I am feeling so much more relaxed and more like myself. I have stress, but it is not burying me and throwing me into panic. Listen, the generic does not work at all. You have to get the name brand! Hope this helps someone."

VATEACHER March 13, 2015

"I'm 17 and have struggled with depression, ADD/ADHD, and severe anxiety my entire life. A couple months ago I started getting worse and recently I've become extremely suicidal and the pain inside was debilitating. I never thought an anti depressant would help but finally reached out for help. Today was day 1 of 150 mg XL. I didn't expect to feel anything yet, but I am completely astonished by how well I feel. I haven't felt like this in longer than I can remember. I had become a slug and felt dead. But today I have had so much energy and motivation. I haven't cried today and that's something I've done every day lately. No suicidal thoughts. Seems to increase libido. No serious side effects that I can see yet. So grateful for Wellbutrin."

Molly K. March 7, 2015

"was feeling angry and snappy and unhappy. started lexapro, slept a lot and gained weight and started grinding teeth. switched to wellbutrin 150 2xday. crazy headaches for 3 weeks and strange metallic taste in my mouth. then i read that generics are not necessarily the same, and went straight to wellbutrin's manufacturer who has a great program if insurance doesn't cover it -- $50 per month for name brand wellbutrin 300XL, SO WORTH THE $. i lost a bit of weight, could work straight through for hours, felt much more peaceful and happy except for the pre-menstrual 10 days, when i could become a raging lunatic. doc prescribed prozac 20mg for those days only, and almost zero PMS or PMDD since (self-diagnosed PreMenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.)"

wellbutrin + prozac = win (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2015

"Switching from another antidepressant to Wellbutrin XL, made my depression worst. I became very hostile. Ugly mood changes. Changing from one antidepressant to another is the worst thing that I ever did in my life. Some family members are not speaking to me because of my hostile actions toward them. Every day I used was a sad day."

Ms. Pooh (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

"After suffering from moderate to major depression for 6+ years, I finally decided to give antidepressants a try. I felt different within a week--not just happy, although there was plenty of that (I'd forgotten how it felt to laugh from sheer delight!), but a wide-ranging suite of emotions I'd forgotten existed--grief, anger, giddiness, joy. I guess I thought emotional numbness was a natural part of growing up. I was wrong. Lost 10lbs in 2 weeks from decreased appetite, but libido is through the roof--it became so all-consuming that the doc actually had to cut my dose. (It's still in hyperdrive, but at least now I can think about things besides sex). I do suffer from insomnia now. Still, pros outweigh cons!"

ItsANickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2015

"I had a great experience with this antidepressant. I am 18 and I've been on it for four years. I forgot to take it today for the first time in years. I've been crying and shaking all day because my body doesn't know how to function without it. Needless to say, I need it to get through every day life. It's worked so well for so long. I can't see myself getting off of it any time soon."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2015

"I was put on this medicine in 2011 due to severe anxiety that led to depression. My psych doc had combined Wellbutrin XL 300mg and Cymbalta 60mg. Within 6 months I was symptom free and back to normal. I stopped all medicines 12 months later. Then I went 2.5 years without meds. An anxiety attack this November started my relapse. Now I'm back on the same combination, hoping for the same results as last time. Only this time I'm staying on the meds for 2 years minimum."

Gravenwolf (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2015

"This is the best thing ever. I was suffering from no desire to go to work, I couldn't wake up, I was always late, I lost my motivation to accomplish things, I was anti-social and really just hating myself and life. I was also flustered, confused, feeling out of control and miserable. I started Wellbutrin and by the third day I could REALLY feel the difference. My mind starter to clear, I wasn't hazy, my motivation was back and I could wake up early. This has been an answer to prayers. The study of the brain and body with science is amazing. I'm very thankful."

Hey1234 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2014

177 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have situational depression, never dealt with it before. Wellbutrin had definitely helped get me out of bed each day. The "situation" is becoming better as well but I find my emotions aren't as out of whack. I cry less & get angry less. I do feel it made me more anxious which I'm already dealing with & taking Buspirone for. I didn't experience many side effects BUT one that is hard to deal with but because it seems to make me get through each day a little better, I deal with it. It makes my throat feel closed, which is very annoying. I feel often like I can't breathe well & that I can't swallow or that something is stuck in my throat. I've not taken any other pills on several days to determine that it was the Wellbutrin that did it & it is."

chameleon18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014

"Bad for me. Would not let me sleep. Felt angry all the time. Did, not help me at all in a matter of fact it made things worse."

zoozzzz November 26, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next