User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

Learn more about Wellbutrin SR.

Wellbutrin SR Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Depression

"I started at 100mg and the first few weeks I felt really amazing for the first time in my life. After the fourth week or so, I switched to the 150mg because I had found that the initial euphoria had worn off and I thought that it had lost its efficacy. The higher dose was too strong for me so I switched back and have been on the 100mg since. I do not have the same dark cycles that I used to, and though I still feel depressed at times, it is not nearly as often as before, and the episodes are manageable. I am not feeling chronic hopelessness nor paranoid or defensive. It does not feel like I am 'medicated' while on this. I am not experiencing many side effects (just more intense dreams, and some minor constipation)."

yesteryear (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

"I've been on Wellbutrin 150mg 2x daily for a month now and the only thing that I've noticed is I'm extreme exhaustion about an hour after I take it. It's quite disheartening after reading so many positive reviews about this drug. My doctor recommended giving it more time to take effect but I'm losing hope."

gigglesquirt (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"I've been on the generic version of Wellbutrin SR 100mg once a day a little over a week. Added to supplement my 20mg Prozac twice a day, and .5 Klonopin twice a day. I've been on the Prozac and Klonopin over a year and it began to be not as effective. I began to feel very depressed along with my anxiety also I've gained about 20lbs so my psychatrist prescribed 100mg Wellbutrin SR once a day in morn to help. So far I've noticed I'm extremely tired about 1 hour after taking, so tired even my strongest cup of coffee can't keep me awake. I know Prozac and Klonopin can have this as a side effect but my body is well adjusted to that now, those side effects are long gone.I've noticed better focus and reduced appetite, so now I will just wait."

D-0881 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Major change in my mood and energy. I enjoy to do things I used to do. Wellbutrin has changed my life."

Rosie124 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2015

"Extreme dry mouth. Could not leave home without bottle of water. Extreme dry stools to the point that I was taking a stool softener every day to avoid unnecessary straining. "

jay-bee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2014

"I've been taking this medication for depression. I've been on it for about a year now. When I first started taking it I smoked about a pack a day. Over time this reduced my cravings for nicotine and helped me quit smoking. It took time and effort but it worked. Also when I started this medicine I weighed 207 lbs which was my highest weight. Wellbutrin caused weight loss for me and I now weigh 165. This medicine improves my overall mood and I am not as depressed as I was a year ago. I've also experienced hair shedding, which has become more and more of a problem. Sometimes it comes out in handfuls. I gave this medicine a 9 because mostly my side effects were positive. I don't know where I'd be without Wellbutrin."

Nobody1100 November 16, 2014

"I was taking this for depression for about 3 years and it was a miracle for me. I stopped taking it when I lost my insurance for about a year. The result was a weight gain of 20 lbs and severe depression (again) I've been taking now about a year and the result is that I'm happy again. I lost 30 lbs and experience an increased libido. I've never taken any other anti-depressant besides Wellbutrin SR."

tahoegrl (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2014

"I have been on bupropion for a month. I have lost the sadness, obsessive dark thoughts and have more energy and less aches and pains. I felt a little weird taking it a first( mild headache, taste in my mouth) but those have gone. This is great stuff and feel hopeful and focused. I am not snappy and withdrawn from my spouse."

rouxball (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2014

"Wonderful for me! I have increased energy, able to work and generally FEEL better. Downside-occasional insomnia. Drink lots of water, you will feel very thirsty. I highly recommend this antidepressant."

qlwaysmandi (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2014

"I am a mother of 2 small children and I began this medication about 2 months ago after being on Celexa (which made me feel tired a lot and hungry all the time - I gained like 20 lbs on it). The first thing I noticed with Wellbutrin was a decreased appetite. Then I started to feel more alert - the same kind of alertness you would feel when taking Adderall. A few weeks into it, my mood was totally different. I was happy, calm, energetic - all the things that I wanted for so long, but never thought I could achieve, as I was very depressed. I was walking in a parking lot the other day and I thought to myself "wow. isn't life great?" - Wellbutrin is an AMAZING medication."

Crissy123 May 12, 2014

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started Wellbutrin SR just last week. I feel 90% better already. Previously I was taking Zoloft and after a year and a half I felt sluggish, tired, hopeless, and just plain blah. I now don't have constant worrying, it helps withy OCD, and the things that bothered me before have just become basically no big deal to me. I happier, I focus much better? And my spirits are brighter than they have been in months!!!"

Pinkin (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I felt it working in a couple of days and I felt great! The depression lifted and I felt so much more energy, no more crying and actually wanted to do things! There is depression that runs in my family and I also feel like it happens more seasonally in the winter. However, after a week of taking it, I developed an allergic reaction and broke out in hives on my legs. This is the first allergy I've ever had! Had to stop taking it due to the reaction and now I've been put on Pristiq...we will see how things go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2014

"I am only on my 3rd day with Wellbutrin SR (150mg once a day for now) but I really feel good about this medicine already! I'm brand new to antidepressants but had been on Lexapro for 2 weeks prior to getting the Wellbutrin prescription and I really did not like the Lexapro. With it I had been having a headache everyday, tense muscles, felt emotionally numb, was tired all the time, couldn't focus, and absolutely could not reach orgasm even having sex everyday (which was extremely frustrating). Since switching 3 days ago, I have had more energy, more ability to focus, I feel happier about life as a whole, and I have been really productive with school work (I'm a college student). I also have noticed that I'm not feeling as hungry. Good feels."

Emily_22 (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had tried four of five different SSRI's over 10 years and they didn't work for me. Also, I was put on Serozone some years ago by my GP and that medication just wasn't for me - it was finally taken off the market due to it's horrible side effects. Finally, my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin SR and it worked wonders for me. I had only one side effect which was waking up at night. I'll take that over depression any day."

John Alex (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2013

"I just was put back onto Wellbutrin after attempting 3 other antidepressants. It was only after being off it that I realized how good it worked for me. I was taken off of it because it caused me to have some issues with irritability and according to my family- short tempered. I was put on Cymbalta, but I enjoy a drink or 2 a day with my wife (Cymbalta and alcohol will destroy your liver- very well documented). Zoloft made me feel completely despondent, and I felt life was no longer worth living, not to mention made me not even remotely think of sex. When I was put back on Wellbutrin, I felt like life WAS worth living, and I feel happier and euphoric. Now I take Lamictal with Wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning. Avoid the XR- causes insomnia."

Zaps (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have ADD, anxiety and depression. I began 100mg once a day for a week then went to 100mg twice a day. You have to give this medicine time to work. The first I was thinking of not taking it anymore because it made me feel so tired. But I'm so happy I stuck it out! My overall mood, attitude and outlook has improved tremendously. My mood and attention is consistent, unlike when I took Adderall and would experience crashes. This medication has made a world of difference. I'm less anxious and happier."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2013

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"False-positive urine immunoassay screening tests for amphetamines have been reported in patients taking bupropion (the active ingredient contained in Wellbutrin SR). This happened to me with the birth of our second child. Our daughter tested positive for amphetamines. Child Services were called and we had to prove our own innocents! The nurse reporting the "problem" told us that they knew that Wellbutrin SR could cause this result but according to the law we were still reported. "

R&C's Mom January 20, 2013

"I am on bupropion SR for 2.5 months and it's been pretty good so far. I don't sleep all the time like on citalopram and my weight stayed the same with a slightly diminished appetite. The depression is mostly gone even though I'm unemployed for a long time living off dwindling savings. But I'm actually trying to get work now since I have more energy and feel generally better than ever despite the economy. My libido isn't much despite other comments here. Some anxiety still there and a few drinks in the evening help that. The biggest side effect is extreme sweating when it is humid and above 70 degrees. It's embarrassing. For me, bupropion (Wellbutrin SR) 100mg twice a day mostly works. Good luck."

DW27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2012

"This has been prescribed by my doctor as an add on antidepressant to Lexapro which I am taking- as Lexapro did not seem to be working just by itself. I think this medication is pretty good. Overall I feel much less depressed since taking it, and almost feel back to my old self. The only side effect I get with this medication is sweating. I would definitely recommend this medicine to other people."

ladylapre (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2012

"I'm on my 3rd week of bupropion and I have finally started seeing a difference in myself. It was a Thursday and I was in clinicals, I'm in college for athletic training, and I was just my normal friendly happy energetic self. Out of the three weeks I have had dizziness once and I have noticed some trembling but so far so good and I really feel like I'm getting back to my normal self. I had been down for so long I'm just glad I finally did something about it!"

Anonymous February 17, 2012

"This medication is great. I've tried several other antidepressants and this one is by far the most effective especially when taken concurrently with an SSRI. The only bad thing about it is it makes you shake like a leaf. I once spilled a drink all over me because I couldn't hold it steady. But this side effect is insignificant in comparison to the benefits of taking the medicine."

mjw078 December 18, 2011

"I was prescribed generic for Wellbutrin 10 days ago, I felt great first couple of days, but last couple of days I feel really depressed, constantly crying and yelling at my husband and kids for no reason. Just left a message for my doctor to call me back to see if we can change either dosage or the medication period."

love79 November 28, 2011

"I have post-partum depression. I'm on day 4 or 5 and feel less fatigued but still want to stay in bed. Unfortunately, I can't....have 2 babies running around."

tiredmomma November 8, 2011

"I was finally prescribed Wellbutrin SR after 4 months of treatment with a hospital psychologist. Treatment through other means of talking through my emotions helped some, but there was those thoughts, if you know what I mean. So they started me on the medicine. It was only 100mg 1 time a day, I only took it for 10 days. I felt great for about 10 hours, but in the evening I would feel like I was in withdrawal or like I was in an emotional craving of some sort, kind of hard to describe. I felt edgy at night, was easy to bark at the kids for little or no reason, and I would have deep and serious thoughts about suicide, but those thoughts only lasted about 10 minutes, and then they would go away, as quickly as they had started."

Anonymous October 16, 2011

"I like Wellbutrin SR. It helps me lose weight I was at 174 and now at 155 where I should be. I have tried over 11 medications, but this seems to work great. It gives me more energy which I need working 2 jobs."

Mauifun September 16, 2011