User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

Learn more about Wellbutrin SR.

Wellbutrin SR review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Depression

Review by rouxball (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on bupropion for a month. I have lost the sadness, obsessive dark thoughts and have more energy and less aches and pains. I felt a little weird taking it a first( mild headache, taste in my mouth) but those have gone. This is great stuff and feel hopeful and focused. I am not snappy and withdrawn from my spouse.

June 22, 2014 6:16 PM

Review by qlwaysmandi (taken for 10 years or more):

Wonderful for me! I have increased energy, able to work and generally FEEL better. Downside-occasional insomnia. Drink lots of water, you will feel very thirsty. I highly recommend this antidepressant.

June 13, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by Crissy123:

I am a mother of 2 small children and I began this medication about 2 months ago after being on Celexa (which made me feel tired a lot and hungry all the time - I gained like 20 lbs on it). The first thing I noticed with Wellbutrin was a decreased appetite. Then I started to feel more alert - the same kind of alertness you would feel when taking Adderall. A few weeks into it, my mood was totally different. I was happy, calm, energetic - all the things that I wanted for so long, but never thought I could achieve, as I was very depressed. I was walking in a parking lot the other day and I thought to myself "wow. isn't life great?" - Wellbutrin is an AMAZING medication.

May 12, 2014 3:25 PM

Review by Pinkin (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Wellbutrin SR just last week. I feel 90% better already. Previously I was taking Zoloft and after a year and a half I felt sluggish, tired, hopeless, and just plain blah. I now don't have constant worrying, it helps withy OCD, and the things that bothered me before have just become basically no big deal to me. I happier, I focus much better? And my spirits are brighter than they have been in months!!!

January 30, 2014 12:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I felt it working in a couple of days and I felt great! The depression lifted and I felt so much more energy, no more crying and actually wanted to do things! There is depression that runs in my family and I also feel like it happens more seasonally in the winter. However, after a week of taking it, I developed an allergic reaction and broke out in hives on my legs. This is the first allergy I've ever had! Had to stop taking it due to the reaction and now I've been put on Pristiq...we will see how things go.

January 30, 2014 8:49 AM

Review by Emily_22 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am only on my 3rd day with Wellbutrin SR (150mg once a day for now) but I really feel good about this medicine already! I'm brand new to antidepressants but had been on Lexapro for 2 weeks prior to getting the Wellbutrin prescription and I really did not like the Lexapro. With it I had been having a headache everyday, tense muscles, felt emotionally numb, was tired all the time, couldn't focus, and absolutely could not reach orgasm even having sex everyday (which was extremely frustrating). Since switching 3 days ago, I have had more energy, more ability to focus, I feel happier about life as a whole, and I have been really productive with school work (I'm a college student). I also have noticed that I'm not feeling as hungry. Good feels.

October 19, 2013 7:08 PM

Review by John Alex (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had tried four of five different SSRI's over 10 years and they didn't work for me. Also, I was put on Serozone some years ago by my GP and that medication just wasn't for me - it was finally taken off the market due to it's horrible side effects. Finally, my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin SR and it worked wonders for me. I had only one side effect which was waking up at night. I'll take that over depression any day.

August 14, 2013 8:11 AM

Review by Zaps (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I just was put back onto Wellbutrin after attempting 3 other antidepressants. It was only after being off it that I realized how good it worked for me. I was taken off of it because it caused me to have some issues with irritability and according to my family- short tempered. I was put on Cymbalta, but I enjoy a drink or 2 a day with my wife (Cymbalta and alcohol will destroy your liver- very well documented). Zoloft made me feel completely despondent, and I felt life was no longer worth living, not to mention made me not even remotely think of sex. When I was put back on Wellbutrin, I felt like life WAS worth living, and I feel happier and euphoric. Now I take Lamictal with Wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning. Avoid the XR- causes insomnia.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2013 5:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have ADD, anxiety and depression. I began 100mg once a day for a week then went to 100mg twice a day. You have to give this medicine time to work. The first I was thinking of not taking it anymore because it made me feel so tired. But I'm so happy I stuck it out! My overall mood, attitude and outlook has improved tremendously. My mood and attention is consistent, unlike when I took Adderall and would experience crashes. This medication has made a world of difference. I'm less anxious and happier.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2013 9:58 AM

Review by R&C's Mom:

False-positive urine immunoassay screening tests for amphetamines have been reported in patients taking bupropion (the active ingredient contained in Wellbutrin SR). This happened to me with the birth of our second child. Our daughter tested positive for amphetamines. Child Services were called and we had to prove our own innocents! The nurse reporting the "problem" told us that they knew that Wellbutrin SR could cause this result but according to the law we were still reported.

January 20, 2013 2:39 PM

Review by DW27 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am on bupropion SR for 2.5 months and it's been pretty good so far. I don't sleep all the time like on citalopram and my weight stayed the same with a slightly diminished appetite. The depression is mostly gone even though I'm unemployed for a long time living off dwindling savings. But I'm actually trying to get work now since I have more energy and feel generally better than ever despite the economy. My libido isn't much despite other comments here. Some anxiety still there and a few drinks in the evening help that. The biggest side effect is extreme sweating when it is humid and above 70 degrees. It's embarrassing. For me, bupropion (Wellbutrin SR) 100mg twice a day mostly works. Good luck.

September 26, 2012 3:19 PM

Review by ladylapre (taken for less than 1 month):

This has been prescribed by my doctor as an add on antidepressant to Lexapro which I am taking- as Lexapro did not seem to be working just by itself. I think this medication is pretty good. Overall I feel much less depressed since taking it, and almost feel back to my old self. The only side effect I get with this medication is sweating. I would definitely recommend this medicine to other people.

September 22, 2012 5:01 PM

I'm on my 3rd week of bupropion and I have finally started seeing a difference in myself. It was a Thursday and I was in clinicals, I'm in college for athletic training, and I was just my normal friendly happy energetic self. Out of the three weeks I have had dizziness once and I have noticed some trembling but so far so good and I really feel like I'm getting back to my normal self. I had been down for so long I'm just glad I finally did something about it!

February 17, 2012 2:40 PM

Review by mjw078:

This medication is great. I've tried several other antidepressants and this one is by far the most effective especially when taken concurrently with an SSRI. The only bad thing about it is it makes you shake like a leaf. I once spilled a drink all over me because I couldn't hold it steady. But this side effect is insignificant in comparison to the benefits of taking the medicine.

December 18, 2011 10:13 AM

Review by love79:

I was prescribed generic for Wellbutrin 10 days ago, I felt great first couple of days, but last couple of days I feel really depressed, constantly crying and yelling at my husband and kids for no reason. Just left a message for my doctor to call me back to see if we can change either dosage or the medication period.

November 28, 2011 10:59 AM

Review by tiredmomma:

I have post-partum depression. I'm on day 4 or 5 and feel less fatigued but still want to stay in bed. Unfortunately, I can't....have 2 babies running around.

November 8, 2011 10:51 AM

I was finally prescribed Wellbutrin SR after 4 months of treatment with a hospital psychologist. Treatment through other means of talking through my emotions helped some, but there was those thoughts, if you know what I mean. So they started me on the medicine. It was only 100mg 1 time a day, I only took it for 10 days. I felt great for about 10 hours, but in the evening I would feel like I was in withdrawal or like I was in an emotional craving of some sort, kind of hard to describe. I felt edgy at night, was easy to bark at the kids for little or no reason, and I would have deep and serious thoughts about suicide, but those thoughts only lasted about 10 minutes, and then they would go away, as quickly as they had started.

October 16, 2011 2:24 AM

Review by Mauifun:

I like Wellbutrin SR. It helps me lose weight I was at 174 and now at 155 where I should be. I have tried over 11 medications, but this seems to work great. It gives me more energy which I need working 2 jobs.

September 16, 2011 9:00 PM

Review by Big Hair:

2 and 1/2 months on WB. Quality of life improved significantly. I am more emotionally resilient, have an increase in daily energy and I feel more motivated to do the things that were languishing on the back burner before. I have been on other ADs and this one is different; it didn't numb me, it lifted me up. The range of emotions is still there. But the difference is I can come back from sadness without being a total mess. It hasn't made me a better person, it's just made life less of an uphill battle. I've lost 20 of the 30 lbs I needed to lose so far too. Cons: lengthy start up phase (7 weeks for me) requires lots of patience, plus I couldn't sleep properly on Wellbutrin without my trazodone at night.

September 15, 2011 5:09 PM

I used this on and off for several years, never over 150 mg/day. I liked the energy it provided, the suppression of appetite, the low cost (without insurance) and the increased sex drive (as opposed to Prozac/Zoloft which prevented me from reaching orgasm). The downside for me was increased sweating and anxiety. The anxiety was the worst. I now use Ritalin and prefer it.

July 10, 2011 12:19 PM

Review by LAJA:

I've only taken Wellbutrin SR for a couple of days and I've had a light headache but I've been able to focus and concentrate and I'm so happy that I've been productive too! If headache is the only thing I have to deal with I'll keep taking it.

June 2, 2011 5:39 PM

Review by 17 yrs old:

I have been on this medication for less than a month already and to be honest I still haven't noticed anything too big yet. I have severe depression and have tried four other medications and all they did was make me tired and antisocial. With this I don't fall asleep during class or eat a lot but I still feel like I'm not completely here. I feel sad and I have been crying a lot for small things but I'm still giving it time and I feel confident about this.

December 19, 2010 7:52 PM

I have Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety, and severe ADHD. I took Wellbutrin for four days and at first it was fine then I quickly developed hot flashes and eventually started freaking out and having unrelenting suicidal thoughts. Guess it just didn't work for me, but it didn't make me tired.

December 15, 2010 3:02 PM

I have been taking Wellbutrin SR 150mg for five years. Have been doing really well, but here lately I have been really tired, low sex drive, wanting to eat when I am not hungry. Maybe I need an increase.

September 8, 2010 3:48 PM

Review by Slynne:

I'm on my 5th day of starting Welbutrin SR (generic) 100mg and feel more energetic and less depressed and lethargic. That could be a placebo effect so early in treatment, but I know for sure that its almost completey taken away my appetite. I actually forget to eat. I had been on Prozac, which worked great at first and then the therapeutic effects seemed to fade over the months until I was severely depressed again. This has happened to me with several other antidepressants as well. I hope that Welbutrin will work consistently for me. So far I'm very happy with the results.

September 5, 2010 2:00 PM