Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

Review by hopefull32: User Rating:

I have taken Paxil, Effexor and Lexapro. These drugs helped but left me feeling like a zombie, had sexual side effects, and extreme night sweats. Because, of these side effects I always went of the prescription after a year or less. When I went off Effexor I was energetic, worked out and felt great. I thought if I could just maintain working out I would be okay. Well I slowly quit working out and got angrier and angrier. I tried to fight it for 3 years before I couldn't take it any more. This time the doctor put me on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL. I started feeling better within a couple of days. I did experience bad headaches and had a upset stomach for the first month. It was worth it. I have no side effects and feel 100% normal.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 23, 2010 5:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking this medication for over 6 months and it has been a good fit for me. At first I had a little trouble sleeping but other than this it has been easy. I am taking the SR type so I have to take it 2x per day which can be a pain. I have not had a depressive episode since starting on Wellbutrin.

April 25, 2010 10:32 PM
Review by alpha22: User Rating:

Took one pill and all the side effects manifested ... full blown. Another on a long list of wonder drugs that give me the full blown side effects. My doctor put me on a couple of the old stand-bys and I'm doing pretty good.

April 14, 2010 12:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin has helped me a great deal. In response to one person who said they are having trouble sleeping...after 10 years on this anti-depressant with doses going up and down by 100 mg a day. Difficulty sleeping has always been a sign of a dosage that was too high. If I have trouble sleeping, and headaches that feel tight in the back of my head, and feel easily irritated, lowering my dose by 50mg usually fixes the situation within 3 weeks.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 28, 2010 1:36 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Wellbutrin continuously for 20 years. If it were not for this miracle drug I would be dead. There is no doubt in my mind that my intractable depression was arrested with Wellbutrin. I have a chemical imbalance that is permanent, I once went off Wellbutrin for a month because I was taking another medicine, within three weeks I was having suicidal ideas. Needless to say I will not go off it again, my doctor assures me it is safe for lifelong use.

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2010 3:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

After struggling with motivation and depression through my teens I was diagnosed at 17 with a chemical imbalance. Then and during my 20s I tried Prozac( did nothing), Zoloft(made me extremely fatigued) and Effexor (barely helped) and nothing really did the trick for me--I eventually succumbed and just stayed depressed, tired and irritable. After having my 2nd child in 2008 I was diagnosed with postpartum depression. My OB put me on Wellbutrin 150 mg, twice daily. I feel like ME again. I concentrate better, am generally happy, way less irritable and feel more in control. Oh and TONS more energy than before. I don't plan on being off it any time soon. I have a little trouble here and there with falling asleep/sometimes jitters - that's about it.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 8, 2010 3:04 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Been on this for 5 years now, not a magic bullet, but still works fairly well. I have NO side effects at all, and never have from this drug. I eat fine, sleep fine, no headaches. I used to cry all the time and had OCD as well, this helps with the crying, the OCD is a little better too. I get worried that I might be becoming immune to it, but I will cross that bridge later. Give it a try, the side effects are not a factor for everyone.

January 26, 2010 10:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I am a 28 year old mother of 2. I was diagnosed as being Anxious Depressive after battling for 5 years with Post Partum & paranoia. I started on Citalopram for about 2 years. Then 8 months ago changed to Flouxetine, because I was falling back into depression. I talked to my doctor a week ago about my concerns with my lack of libido. I was also still battling getting up in the AM and starting my day. She has added Wellbutrin along with Flouxetine. I started with 150mg for 4 days and today is my second day taking 300mg. It is working wonderfully! I have not noticed any real side effects and wake up ready to take on the day. Because of my anxiety I can't take Wellbutrin alone, but it has been the perfect extra kick I needed.

January 20, 2010 9:42 PM
Review by TDizzle: User Rating:

I have suffered from severe depression for over 3 years, mood swings, irritable, loss of interest, huge lack of energy, absolutely no motivation, anxiety, paranoia, and panic attacks. I was prescribed 100mg extended release 2 times daily and its amazing how quickly it works. I don't have nearly as many mood swings as before, I have tons of energy (once you are on Wellbutrin you realize just how much depression really affects you without even noticing it), tons of motivation. (I used to debate whether I should do this or that now I just do it there's no question whatsoever). However it did not help my anxiety or panic attacks, the side effects for me were a very annoying twitching and dry mouth. I have only been on it for a week so time will tell.

January 20, 2010 3:56 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

By no means a miracle drug but it really pulled me out of a deep depression. After just a few days people began to notice a change in my appearance and mood for the better. I began to take an interest in people and places. I began to do the things I used to love again such as play the guitar and go to sporting events. Side effects were: really dry mouth which I did not mind because I switched from craving soda all the time to craving water instead. Slight ringing in the ears. I only sleep 6 or so hours a night but it's not a big deal because I'm more energetic now than I was when sleeping 9 hours.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2010 7:27 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin for two months now, and I am really impressed with how great it has been. I am way more motivated, feel happier, and quit smoking too. I find it much easier to go to work, and going to the gym is actually wonderful, instead of the incredibly difficult task it was before. I think that Wellbutrin works particularly well when combined with exercise. I have had a little bit of dry mouth and some trouble sleeping, but when compared to the benefits, the side effects are very minor.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2010 6:32 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

31 years old and have never taken any kind of medication other than birth control. Recently went through some tough stuff and finally broke down after almost a year of feeling terrible and talked to my doctor. Started taking Wellbutrin about a month ago and I haven't felt this good in years. I started feeling better almost immediately. I am motivated and focused and like my old self again. In addition I stopped smoking completely about a week after I first started taking it. Only negatives are I am having a REALLY hard time getting enough sleep and the dry mouth is bad but only on occasion. I really hope that the insomnia gets better because although I feel great, I know it can't be good to have such little sleep long term.

January 13, 2010 3:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm a 21 year old male and I started taking Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago for seasonal affective disorder. The first few times I took Wellbutrin, I felt AMAZING. This is because Wellbutrin is a mild stimulant. This effect goes away. After about a week, the depression started to get better and I increased to 300mg/day. As I'm now approaching the 3 week mark I can honestly say I have never felt this good in my life. I had severe insomnia for the first 3 nights. I also experience occasional dry mouth. I had mild, intermittent nausea for the first week. I highly, highly recommend this. Don't use it if you have anxiety problems.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 28, 2009 6:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on Wellbutrin years ago, and it helped. In the last couple weeks, I have been suicidal and VERY depressed. My doctor put me back on the Wellbutrin, and 2 days later I'm ridiculously happy! I think it's worth the side effects, but some may not. I've experienced: Insomnia, lack of appetite, horrible nausea, and incessant twitching (every 8 seconds or so). The insomnia is horrible. I've gotten about 2 hours of sleep in the last 3 days. Lack of appetite is okay with me, I needed to lose weight anyways! Ringing in the ears is something I'll deal with, but the nausea and twitching are the WORST by far. I look like I'm having a small seizure sometimes, and the nausea is just...ugh...

December 13, 2009 12:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

It didn't work for me, I had a very bad anxiety attack with thoughts of suicide and had to stop it.

December 8, 2009 8:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have tried other medicines before and had a terrible reaction. Could no longer battle my depression and anger and decided to get on something. Scared out of mind to try it, I was actually thrilled that I didn't have any bad reactions. If you have tried other medicines Zoloft, Lexapro and had a bad experience (like I did), then I would definitely give this one a try.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 5, 2009 5:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I don't see a difference in thoughts or feelings.

December 5, 2009 1:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This has changed my life. I used to get really depressed and have wild mood swings. I have been on it for 2 months now, I have been nothing but happy. I don't get really depressed and when I do get down it is barely noticeable and I bounce out of it quick. Highly recommend this.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 4, 2009 1:21 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Wellbutrin for 16 months now. I started taking it when I was 7 months pregnant with my second child. I suffer from severe post partum depression so my Doctor decided to start me on the Wellbutrin before I gave birth. It made an incredible difference! After giving birth the second time I felt about 80% better then I did the first time. I have been taking it ever since. I had minor side effects of nausea and mood swings. I am so happy I continued with this medicine! Wellbutrin is an amazing medication, I recommend putting up with the side effects because the results are life changing!

November 30, 2009 1:42 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking Wellbutrin for about 1 month. I really want this medication to work but I'm having all side effects. Started with a bad taste in my mouth and went to headache and really dizzy and nauseous. ( I will go off if this doesn't go away). Today I'm having some chest pain but it feels a little worse than the anxiety chest pain I was having so I'm not sure what to think of that. I have been on Prozac and then Celexa for 10 years and I wanted to try this for the less sexual side affects. That has worked and I feel more sensitive to the things that should make you cry. I really want this to work but the side effects are hard. I'll stick with it and hope they go away soon.

November 23, 2009 1:26 PM
Review by tbartell: User Rating:

It's not for everyone.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 19, 2009 9:04 AM
Review by muffins: User Rating:

I have suffered from depression for about 2 years now. Crying all the time, getting my feelings hurt real easily, getting mad, then happy, then back to mad. Tried Lexapro and it didn't work. Tried Pristiq and it made me feel ten times worse. I started on this medication yesterday and I already feel a little better. I am hoping that I have finally found the answer! If this has already made me feel this good after one dose, I can't wait to see what happens after I have taken it for a while! I recommend this to anyone definitely!

November 12, 2009 12:00 PM
Review by very helpful, few side effects.: User Rating:

I have been taking this medicine for over a week, and I do feel much more motivated and an overall sense of well being. Side effects I have come across are dry mouth, or being thirsty-which helps to prevent any headaches, early on was difficulty sleeping but that comes and goes. I feel a little disoriented when I do wake up. Bowel movements actually improved. I don't recommend drinking while taking this. This was my first antidepressant and I am very happy with the results so far!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 7, 2009 10:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin made me a bit dizzy when I first began to take it, but on the long term it helped me quite a lot with my motivational problems and depression. I am on a 300mg dose.

November 1, 2009 9:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I suffer from depression. This drug not only worked quickly, but didn't have any of the sexual side effects I was concerned about in other types of anti-depressants. It also helped concentration. I've heard horror stories in psychology literature and through friends about anti-depressants causing more depression than originally because of the substantial changes in personality. Wellbutrin did none of that for me, I would recommend it to anyone suffering from depression.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2009 3:05 PM