Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

Review by iusedtobecrazy:

My only complaint is that I got the prescription from a GP who started me off on 150 mg which is way too intense a dose to start off with and made me have crazy mood swings. I've done my research and got a new doctor, and there's something called a 75mg pill they're supposed to start you on so you can ease into it. But anyway...I've been on it for 3 months now and my mood has improved significantly. I'm a lot more active than I used to be (I used to be very lethargic and unmotivated) and I'm also a lot more talkative. Definitely saved my life.

October 16, 2011 5:15 PM

Review by bikeguy637:

I'm 29yr, male on Wellbutrin 150mg SR. Initially, had nausea, but it went away after 2 days. I've noticed my sleep has vastly improved. I used to sleep 10 hrs, sometimes more and I still felt like I needed more rest. With Wellbutrin I sleep 7-8hrs and wake up well rested. Additionally, when 2-3pm rolls around I'm not begging for a nap. Concentration is much improved, mood is generally good, and I've lost 10lbs. One warning I can give though is to NOT drink alcohol with Wellbutrin. It's not obvious at first, but the next 3 days it's back to depression, bad depression. Seems like alcohol blocks this medicine out. I can confirm this 2x. Not sure if 3 hrs of drinking is worth the 3 days of depression that follows after.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2011 6:36 PM

Review by koleary:

This medication has saved my life. I've had a chronic case of major depressive disorder, clinically diagnosed and treated for over 15 years. When I was rudely and suddenly cut off this medication due to financial issues, I became suicidal and was hospitalized after a violent suicide attempt. I had never been suicidal before. I had never before been hospitalized for depression. Today, I'm just grateful to have a better doctor. I'm very happy and proud to have a full year recovered from that horrible, tragic time a year ago when I was denied access to Wellbutrin.

September 29, 2011 8:31 AM

I have been on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks now. I am not sure if it just isn't working or if it is actually making things worse. Crying, sleepless, anxious, restless. Don't know whether I should quit taking it or not. Doctor is on vacation this week, will see him the following week. Was on Effexor for about 3 years. It worked great for me, but somehow I decided I didn't need it anymore, within a month I realized I was wrong. Tried going back on it but it caused horrible side effects.

September 11, 2011 8:55 PM

Review by riseupsnoclaf:

I started with 50 mg once, then twice per day, increased to 200mg per day, and it did NOTHING but makes me have chills on my scalp AND even though it is summertime, I am sweating really badly. Other than sweating I hadn't noticed it working at all, as I still have been snapping at my daughter.. So my doctor upped my dosage to 450 per day. Hot and sweaty as ever, but it comes and goes.... been on Wellbutrin since mid June 2011, and just maybe.... just maybe, it helped me last week when I should have been totally devastated over my boyfriends drama. I remember not having nervous pangs in my stomach, sort of bold, but not superwoman-like. I still just lay in bed a lot, not motivated, and I think my weight is going up! But I am on the highest dose.

August 31, 2011 4:35 PM

I had a SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION TO THIS MEDICINE.

August 22, 2011 1:35 PM

Review by jenn8ny:

After 3 years of a dark depression, I hit bottom and started Wellbutrin 300mg every day. Over the next 2 years, I've lost weight (because I was trying), I quit smoking (because I wanted to) and I discovered a small part of life that was tolerable (a small part). I increased to 400mg in July because I felt myself slipping back to the dark place and it's the first time I've noticed side effects: marked insomnia, unfavorable irritability, a little bit of numbness, I crave sweets and I don't seem to want sex as much. So I'm thinking 300mg was the therapeutic dose for me and will call my doctor to see what the plan is. On the bright side of the 400mg, I'm sitting here tonight writing a positive review for the medicine I believe in.

July 31, 2011 10:51 PM

Review by NotGood:

I'm shocked to see not a single negative review listed. The first day taking Wellbutrin after drinks with a friend (not advisable) we had a bad fight, my anger was uncontrollable. That next day I had a fight with my roommate, I was absorbed in rage, completely unaware of others' feelings. That week I was stuck in my head, angry, charged, paranoid and isolated. A week later I had terrible fight with my roommate resulting in a BAD physical altercation, cops were called, next day she moved out. Next day I was extremely depressed and indifferent. I stopped taking it. Maybe I didn't give it time. Don't want to discourage others but if you have irritability/anger issues be very aware and cautious.

July 11, 2011 3:39 PM

I have been on over 15 different antidepressants across every category. I have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (Ensam), tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs (several - Effexor, Pristiq, etc.) and nothing worked. I'm taking Welbutrin 150 mg once a day (along with the Effexor XR still at 300mg) and it is incredible. I feel amazing. Unfortunately, after 3 weeks I developed hives all over my body that were itchy. While the itchiness went away after 3 days and the hives only come out at night now, my blood work shows I'm having a bad reaction to it. I also lost 14 lbs in 4 weeks (a good thing). I do feel extremely anxious and agitated at times and can't stop wiggling my foot, for example. Combined with the Effexor (which causes too much sleep), my sleep is at the right length now.

July 7, 2011 3:46 PM

I started Wellbutrin (150 mg) two months ago. So far, it's been very effective. The only negative side effects I've noticed have been mild heart palpitations, some pretty severe weight loss (15 lbs in two weeks, most of it muscle mass), insomnia and a slight dip in my concentration levels. I can't eat certain foods anymore (like sugars and fried foods) without experiencing heart tremors and occasionally chest tightness (like a mild heart attack), but this has mostly gone away since I've started exercising again. On the other hand, I've stopped compulsively wanting to kill myself, my mind is a lot quieter, and I have stable energy throughout the day. I feel almost normal sometimes these days, and it's definitely a strange sensation.

June 30, 2011 12:55 PM

Review by Txteacher:

Just started Wellbutrin after a hysterectomy. My hormones were all out of whack and I was possibly suffering from slight to moderate depression right before the surgery. I have been on it for 8 days and I already feel much better. I can't wait to see how I feel after a month or 2. I stopped crying and am much more leveled off. I am still a little withdrawn, at times, but I am going to make myself get out there and get back I to the normal swing of things. I am on 150 mg.

May 31, 2011 11:42 AM

Review by Angelnina:

Finally a drug that works for my depression.

May 16, 2011 3:22 AM

Review by Bugg143:

I just started this medicine a matter of days ago. I am so happy to read all of these reviews. It gives me hope. I have been suffering from depression since I was 16. I am now 24. After meeting the love of my life. He took on me and my two girls from a previous relationship. He is everything I could as for. But I still was not happy. I sit around and eat. I have gained so much weight. All from my depression. I have such high hopes that after trying, Paxil, Prozac and a couple others..that this will work for me. And give me my life back. My girls nor my boyfriend deserve the person I have became. Thank you everyone for sharing.

April 28, 2011 10:53 AM

Review by pennylane22:

I liked Wellbutrin for the 3 weeks I was on it. I felt good, energetic, happy, and could finally organize my life, wasn't feeling overwhelmed by everything. Unfortunately, broke out in terrible hives all over, and my psychiatrist says that is a reaction to the medicine.

April 26, 2011 2:18 PM

Review by sandra4453:

Suffering from severe depression, grief related. Wasn't able to lift my head off the couch, didn't want to live and believed that this depression was too big to ever get rid of. Went on Zoloft, then Paxil and it made me suicidal. Thankfully, I recognized my depression was worse because of these medicines and stopped taking them immediately. I've been on Bupropion XL for 2 weeks now, the first 10 days was at a low dose of 150mg to see if I could tolerate it. My doctor upped the dose to 300mg and have been taking that for 4 days now. This is the 2nd day that I woke up without that crippling depression smothering me. I'm still depressed but it is more cope-able now and I'm hoping that these feelings will improve the longer I'm on this medicine.

April 16, 2011 9:26 AM

This is my second time on Wellbutrin XL. I took it once when I was 14-15 with no negative side effects and I'm now 18. My doctor started me on 150mg and then bumped me up to 300mg and it helped so much. This time when I started, I got headaches for the first 10 days which were pretty bad sometimes but it was worth sticking them out (I had headaches during depression anyway). And for a period of 1-2 weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night for no reason but I could usually always go back to sleep. I have more energy and I don't dwell on things as much. Overall, very satisfied.

February 20, 2011 1:54 PM

Just started taking this for depression/anxiety, so far, so good. The first few days, I could definitely feel the stimulant effect, but on day 5, I can barely feel anything. Obviously, it's too early to tell how it will help with anxiety/depression. I had just a hint of a headache, but nothing bad enough to even take anything for. No real trouble sleeping. I will be increasing the 150mg to 300mg (twice daily) Saturday, so I'm sure there will be another adjustment period then. I've heard it's important to take the second dose fairly early in the afternoon (around 3 or 4), so it doesn't keep you up. At first, I did not think this would work with my anxiety, but it's mostly gone due to my body adjusting.

January 19, 2011 4:37 PM

Review by tsnhoney:

I have suffered from Anxiety in the past. Since moving to a new town and hating it (we are military) I had fallen into an awful depression. Just not myself, no energy and no ambition. I went on Wellbutrin (150mg) 2 weeks ago. The first week was a bear! I was mean, had migraines, I was crying a lot, nausea, and I ate anything I could! I read on here to take it in the morning and it made a big difference! Now, nausea is gone, no more migraine, my mind is clear, I have energy and appetite is way down! My Dr gave me no warnings about any of this. (I love this site!) I am hoping I am out of the woods with the side effects, but I will keep at it. Finding your right one is hard and may take time. Don't give up!

January 11, 2011 7:19 AM

I started on 100 mg to help with the sexual side effects of Celexa. For the first five months, it worked great (April - September). At the end of September through to October, I started to have memory and concentration problems. I started to think I had done things and actually did not. My last straw was when I "know" I sent an e-mail and eventually found out that I had not. I "remember" typing and sending the e-mail, but it never happened. I went to the doctor today and she took me off of it and because of the sexual side effects of Celexa, she started me on Zoloft. I have tried Paxil in the past, but it gave me hallucinations. Hope the Zoloft works.

November 12, 2010 8:48 PM

I have been battling with depression for years and recently hit a plateau while taking Prozac. Not just with my depression but with my weight as well. I did some research online about Wellbutrin, read many reviews and decided to ask my doctor for a prescription. It was the best decision I could have made. I feel so much better not just mentally but physically. I have finally been able to lose weight again and feel good about my life. I am not sure about others but my side effects were a small headache and a little anxiety to begin with but it subsided within 2 weeks. I will never switch to anything else.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2010 2:39 PM

Took Zoloft for many years to combat depression but that drug caused troublesome sexual side effects. I started with Welbutrin and the side effects from the Zoloft were gone completely. Very pleased.

October 17, 2010 1:59 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin for 3 weeks. First 2 weeks I had a few side effects. Groggy, kind of spacey, nausea, weight loss because I wasn't hungry. I did notice some change in my mood. I was less anxious and less depressed but wasn't the miracle that took effect immediately like I had read in some reviews. Did read a review that was helpful it said to stick it out for the first 4 weeks of side effects and you'll be happy with the results, so I am. The side effects have worn off for me about the end week 2. There is one unexpected side effect- IRRITABILITY, I'd say comparable to PMS. Little mishaps can get my blood boiling, like spilling something and its hard to cool down. Never was like that before but seems to be subsiding as well. So we'll see!

August 31, 2010 8:20 AM

I LOVED Wellbutrin....until I had a seizure. I had the seizure within two days of upping the dosage from 150mg to 300 mg. Saw a neurologist. Ran the tests and the seizure was attributed to Wellbutrin. It lowered the seizure threshold. I wish it hadn't because for the first time in years I had so much energy.

July 13, 2010 2:13 PM

I was tired all the time.I have been to Iraq and back and the way I felt was just the way I thought I should feel. I was lazy sometimes. Would put things off. Irrated, get upset quickly. For years and years I just thought that was me. Major drinker...smoker... Couldn't ever get enough sleep. No motivation to get out of bed. Again I thought that was me...I started to have anxiety after my wife's had a miscarriage. Then we got pregnant again then things really started to get out of control. Wellbutrin saved me. I QUIT DRINKING AND SMOKING! Motivated, love being a dad! Work is great! Slight sexual side effects.

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2010 7:42 AM

Review by okay.:

I went on the 300 XL version for about 1.5 years when I was in College. It improved my motivation/concentration/energy/mood, but I had hallucinations. Also, I did have a few severe major depressive episodes while taking it but my rebound back to "normal" was quick. I stopped taking the medicine for about a year- turned into the most severe episode of depression. When I went back on it, started at 150mg SR - no problemw, then back on the 300 XL and had terrible anxiety/agitation. Switched to 200SR- it's perfect. I'm not as moody/mopey/feeling sorry for myself. I don't spend hours on the couch. The fog is gone but I think I will ask my Doctor if I can take 2 x day- my fatigue/concentration are getting worse. Overall, great medication.

June 14, 2010 8:31 PM