User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"I felt like a zombie while taking it. I tried it at different doses, different times and it never made any difference. Sure, the major mood swings were gone, but I stayed mostly sullen and indifferent. I have been off it and on Paxil for six months and I firmly believe the change gave me my life back."

Anonymous January 7, 2012

"I've been on it for a month now and am just now starting to see some change. I don't "ruminate" on thoughts in my head over and over like I used to. Anxiety is cut in half. As time goes on anxiety lessens. Yet to see an instant weight change, am starting weight watchers and the gym so that will help, can't say that the medicines are doing that. One big downside is I don't like taking it twice a day. Around the timing of dose #2 I feel a little dizzy. Still, trying to hang in there for a bit to get the full effects of this medicine!"

Hip Mama January 3, 2012

"Came off Celexa- I had absolutely no sex drive. They told me Welbutrin had the least amount of sexual side effects. Well, first 3 days I started with 1 time a day 150mg. I started to get migraines that would make me nauseous. Called the doctor, they told me it was probably from coming off of Celexa so after 3 days changed to twice a day dosing as directed! BAD IDEA I could not open my eyes around light it would make my head hurt so bad that I would start throwing up. Also couldn't eat, lost 5 lbs. Continued hoping it would go away but it got WORSE, started not being able to breathe and my heart was beating really fast. Almost went to the ER. So the Next I took 1 pill and next day stopped, symptoms went away! "

Arielle 139 November 29, 2011

"Was on Prozac for 15 yrs, if it's not broke don't fix it kind of thing, wanted to drop the sexual side effects and apathy so after research requested bupropion (am a nurse). If you can stick out the first few weeks of side effects (same as others have sited) it is worth it. Can finally respond to my husband and am able to feel sadness and joy and concentrate more clearly. Do be mindful of any fluctuations you may feel with different manufacturer generics your pharmacy may use. It could be a nightmare (it was for me), like plummeting into an abyss in turmoil. Went to a different pharmacy to order the version that works for me!"

nursesmiley November 16, 2011

"30lbs lost. New outlook on life. Does make me have trouble sleeping."

Anonymous November 6, 2011

"I have been on this medicine for three days now. I take 75MG twice a day. The one big thing I have noticed is that I am a lot more calm. I can think clearer with this medicine. I now it was working with what happened to me tonight. Long story short, a girl I like that I was supposed to meet ended up ditching me. Without this I would have been really angry, like smoke out of ears mad. I was mad, but not that mad. This has calmed me down a bunch!"

Anonymous October 30, 2011

"I have battled depression, irritability, mood swings, crying at the drop of a hat for years. I have tried Celexa and Prozac and they did nothing for me. Last week I went on Wellbutrin, I am taking 300 mg a day. The only side effect I am noticing at this point is being thirsty all the time. I can honestly say in one week's time I have really chilled out. I used to obsess over things I could not control and now I am not as bad. I am sleeping better than I have in years despite what most people have said about Wellbutrin causing sleep issues. It has also suppressed my appetite some and the urge to smoke a pack a day. (I am down to about 5 cigarettes in a day, in 1 week). I hope the benefits just continue to get better as my body adjusts to it."

Anonymous October 20, 2011

"My only complaint is that I got the prescription from a GP who started me off on 150 mg which is way too intense a dose to start off with and made me have crazy mood swings. I've done my research and got a new doctor, and there's something called a 75mg pill they're supposed to start you on so you can ease into it. But anyway...I've been on it for 3 months now and my mood has improved significantly. I'm a lot more active than I used to be (I used to be very lethargic and unmotivated) and I'm also a lot more talkative. Definitely saved my life. "

iusedtobecrazy October 16, 2011

"I'm 29yr, male on Wellbutrin 150mg SR. Initially, had nausea, but it went away after 2 days. I've noticed my sleep has vastly improved. I used to sleep 10 hrs, sometimes more and I still felt like I needed more rest. With Wellbutrin I sleep 7-8hrs and wake up well rested. Additionally, when 2-3pm rolls around I'm not begging for a nap. Concentration is much improved, mood is generally good, and I've lost 10lbs. One warning I can give though is to NOT drink alcohol with Wellbutrin. It's not obvious at first, but the next 3 days it's back to depression, bad depression. Seems like alcohol blocks this medicine out. I can confirm this 2x. Not sure if 3 hrs of drinking is worth the 3 days of depression that follows after."

bikeguy637 October 13, 2011

"This medication has saved my life. I've had a chronic case of major depressive disorder, clinically diagnosed and treated for over 15 years. When I was rudely and suddenly cut off this medication due to financial issues, I became suicidal and was hospitalized after a violent suicide attempt. I had never been suicidal before. I had never before been hospitalized for depression. Today, I'm just grateful to have a better doctor. I'm very happy and proud to have a full year recovered from that horrible, tragic time a year ago when I was denied access to Wellbutrin."

koleary September 29, 2011

"I have been on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks now. I am not sure if it just isn't working or if it is actually making things worse. Crying, sleepless, anxious, restless. Don't know whether I should quit taking it or not. Doctor is on vacation this week, will see him the following week. Was on Effexor for about 3 years. It worked great for me, but somehow I decided I didn't need it anymore, within a month I realized I was wrong. Tried going back on it but it caused horrible side effects."

Anonymous September 11, 2011

"I started with 50 mg once, then twice per day, increased to 200mg per day, and it did NOTHING but makes me have chills on my scalp AND even though it is summertime, I am sweating really badly. Other than sweating I hadn't noticed it working at all, as I still have been snapping at my daughter.. So my doctor upped my dosage to 450 per day. Hot and sweaty as ever, but it comes and goes.... been on Wellbutrin since mid June 2011, and just maybe.... just maybe, it helped me last week when I should have been totally devastated over my boyfriends drama. I remember not having nervous pangs in my stomach, sort of bold, but not superwoman-like. I still just lay in bed a lot, not motivated, and I think my weight is going up! But I am on the highest dose. "

riseupsnoclaf August 31, 2011

"I had a SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION TO THIS MEDICINE."

Anonymous August 22, 2011

"After 3 years of a dark depression, I hit bottom and started Wellbutrin 300mg every day. Over the next 2 years, I've lost weight (because I was trying), I quit smoking (because I wanted to) and I discovered a small part of life that was tolerable (a small part). I increased to 400mg in July because I felt myself slipping back to the dark place and it's the first time I've noticed side effects: marked insomnia, unfavorable irritability, a little bit of numbness, I crave sweets and I don't seem to want sex as much. So I'm thinking 300mg was the therapeutic dose for me and will call my doctor to see what the plan is. On the bright side of the 400mg, I'm sitting here tonight writing a positive review for the medicine I believe in."

jenn8ny July 31, 2011

"I'm shocked to see not a single negative review listed. The first day taking Wellbutrin after drinks with a friend (not advisable) we had a bad fight, my anger was uncontrollable. That next day I had a fight with my roommate, I was absorbed in rage, completely unaware of others' feelings. That week I was stuck in my head, angry, charged, paranoid and isolated. A week later I had terrible fight with my roommate resulting in a BAD physical altercation, cops were called, next day she moved out. Next day I was extremely depressed and indifferent. I stopped taking it. Maybe I didn't give it time. Don't want to discourage others but if you have irritability/anger issues be very aware and cautious."

NotGood July 11, 2011

"I have been on over 15 different antidepressants across every category. I have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (Ensam), tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs (several - Effexor, Pristiq, etc.) and nothing worked. I'm taking Welbutrin 150 mg once a day (along with the Effexor XR still at 300mg) and it is incredible. I feel amazing. Unfortunately, after 3 weeks I developed hives all over my body that were itchy. While the itchiness went away after 3 days and the hives only come out at night now, my blood work shows I'm having a bad reaction to it. I also lost 14 lbs in 4 weeks (a good thing). I do feel extremely anxious and agitated at times and can't stop wiggling my foot, for example. Combined with the Effexor (which causes too much sleep), my sleep is at the right length now."

Anonymous July 7, 2011

"I started Wellbutrin (150 mg) two months ago. So far, it's been very effective. The only negative side effects I've noticed have been mild heart palpitations, some pretty severe weight loss (15 lbs in two weeks, most of it muscle mass), insomnia and a slight dip in my concentration levels. I can't eat certain foods anymore (like sugars and fried foods) without experiencing heart tremors and occasionally chest tightness (like a mild heart attack), but this has mostly gone away since I've started exercising again. On the other hand, I've stopped compulsively wanting to kill myself, my mind is a lot quieter, and I have stable energy throughout the day. I feel almost normal sometimes these days, and it's definitely a strange sensation."

Anonymous June 30, 2011

"Just started Wellbutrin after a hysterectomy. My hormones were all out of whack and I was possibly suffering from slight to moderate depression right before the surgery. I have been on it for 8 days and I already feel much better. I can't wait to see how I feel after a month or 2. I stopped crying and am much more leveled off. I am still a little withdrawn, at times, but I am going to make myself get out there and get back I to the normal swing of things. I am on 150 mg."

Txteacher May 31, 2011

"Finally a drug that works for my depression."

Angelnina May 16, 2011

"I just started this medicine a matter of days ago. I am so happy to read all of these reviews. It gives me hope. I have been suffering from depression since I was 16. I am now 24. After meeting the love of my life. He took on me and my two girls from a previous relationship. He is everything I could as for. But I still was not happy. I sit around and eat. I have gained so much weight. All from my depression. I have such high hopes that after trying, Paxil, Prozac and a couple others..that this will work for me. And give me my life back. My girls nor my boyfriend deserve the person I have became. Thank you everyone for sharing."

Bugg143 April 28, 2011

"I liked Wellbutrin for the 3 weeks I was on it. I felt good, energetic, happy, and could finally organize my life, wasn't feeling overwhelmed by everything. Unfortunately, broke out in terrible hives all over, and my psychiatrist says that is a reaction to the medicine. "

pennylane22 April 26, 2011

"Suffering from severe depression, grief related. Wasn't able to lift my head off the couch, didn't want to live and believed that this depression was too big to ever get rid of. Went on Zoloft, then Paxil and it made me suicidal. Thankfully, I recognized my depression was worse because of these medicines and stopped taking them immediately. I've been on Bupropion XL for 2 weeks now, the first 10 days was at a low dose of 150mg to see if I could tolerate it. My doctor upped the dose to 300mg and have been taking that for 4 days now. This is the 2nd day that I woke up without that crippling depression smothering me. I'm still depressed but it is more cope-able now and I'm hoping that these feelings will improve the longer I'm on this medicine."

sandra4453 April 16, 2011

"This is my second time on Wellbutrin XL. I took it once when I was 14-15 with no negative side effects and I'm now 18. My doctor started me on 150mg and then bumped me up to 300mg and it helped so much. This time when I started, I got headaches for the first 10 days which were pretty bad sometimes but it was worth sticking them out (I had headaches during depression anyway). And for a period of 1-2 weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night for no reason but I could usually always go back to sleep. I have more energy and I don't dwell on things as much. Overall, very satisfied."

Anonymous February 20, 2011

"Just started taking this for depression/anxiety, so far, so good. The first few days, I could definitely feel the stimulant effect, but on day 5, I can barely feel anything. Obviously, it's too early to tell how it will help with anxiety/depression. I had just a hint of a headache, but nothing bad enough to even take anything for. No real trouble sleeping. I will be increasing the 150mg to 300mg (twice daily) Saturday, so I'm sure there will be another adjustment period then. I've heard it's important to take the second dose fairly early in the afternoon (around 3 or 4), so it doesn't keep you up. At first, I did not think this would work with my anxiety, but it's mostly gone due to my body adjusting."

Anonymous January 19, 2011

"I have suffered from Anxiety in the past. Since moving to a new town and hating it (we are military) I had fallen into an awful depression. Just not myself, no energy and no ambition. I went on Wellbutrin (150mg) 2 weeks ago. The first week was a bear! I was mean, had migraines, I was crying a lot, nausea, and I ate anything I could! I read on here to take it in the morning and it made a big difference! Now, nausea is gone, no more migraine, my mind is clear, I have energy and appetite is way down! My Dr gave me no warnings about any of this. (I love this site!) I am hoping I am out of the woods with the side effects, but I will keep at it. Finding your right one is hard and may take time. Don't give up!"

tsnhoney January 11, 2011