User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

This is my second time on Wellbutrin XL. I took it once when I was 14-15 with no negative side effects and I'm now 18. My doctor started me on 150mg and then bumped me up to 300mg and it helped so much. This time when I started, I got headaches for the first 10 days which were pretty bad sometimes but it was worth sticking them out (I had headaches during depression anyway). And for a period of 1-2 weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night for no reason but I could usually always go back to sleep. I have more energy and I don't dwell on things as much. Overall, very satisfied.

February 20, 2011 1:54 PM

Just started taking this for depression/anxiety, so far, so good. The first few days, I could definitely feel the stimulant effect, but on day 5, I can barely feel anything. Obviously, it's too early to tell how it will help with anxiety/depression. I had just a hint of a headache, but nothing bad enough to even take anything for. No real trouble sleeping. I will be increasing the 150mg to 300mg (twice daily) Saturday, so I'm sure there will be another adjustment period then. I've heard it's important to take the second dose fairly early in the afternoon (around 3 or 4), so it doesn't keep you up. At first, I did not think this would work with my anxiety, but it's mostly gone due to my body adjusting.

January 19, 2011 4:37 PM

Review by tsnhoney:

I have suffered from Anxiety in the past. Since moving to a new town and hating it (we are military) I had fallen into an awful depression. Just not myself, no energy and no ambition. I went on Wellbutrin (150mg) 2 weeks ago. The first week was a bear! I was mean, had migraines, I was crying a lot, nausea, and I ate anything I could! I read on here to take it in the morning and it made a big difference! Now, nausea is gone, no more migraine, my mind is clear, I have energy and appetite is way down! My Dr gave me no warnings about any of this. (I love this site!) I am hoping I am out of the woods with the side effects, but I will keep at it. Finding your right one is hard and may take time. Don't give up!

January 11, 2011 7:19 AM

I started on 100 mg to help with the sexual side effects of Celexa. For the first five months, it worked great (April - September). At the end of September through to October, I started to have memory and concentration problems. I started to think I had done things and actually did not. My last straw was when I "know" I sent an e-mail and eventually found out that I had not. I "remember" typing and sending the e-mail, but it never happened. I went to the doctor today and she took me off of it and because of the sexual side effects of Celexa, she started me on Zoloft. I have tried Paxil in the past, but it gave me hallucinations. Hope the Zoloft works.

November 12, 2010 8:48 PM

I have been battling with depression for years and recently hit a plateau while taking Prozac. Not just with my depression but with my weight as well. I did some research online about Wellbutrin, read many reviews and decided to ask my doctor for a prescription. It was the best decision I could have made. I feel so much better not just mentally but physically. I have finally been able to lose weight again and feel good about my life. I am not sure about others but my side effects were a small headache and a little anxiety to begin with but it subsided within 2 weeks. I will never switch to anything else.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2010 2:39 PM

Took Zoloft for many years to combat depression but that drug caused troublesome sexual side effects. I started with Welbutrin and the side effects from the Zoloft were gone completely. Very pleased.

October 17, 2010 1:59 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin for 3 weeks. First 2 weeks I had a few side effects. Groggy, kind of spacey, nausea, weight loss because I wasn't hungry. I did notice some change in my mood. I was less anxious and less depressed but wasn't the miracle that took effect immediately like I had read in some reviews. Did read a review that was helpful it said to stick it out for the first 4 weeks of side effects and you'll be happy with the results, so I am. The side effects have worn off for me about the end week 2. There is one unexpected side effect- IRRITABILITY, I'd say comparable to PMS. Little mishaps can get my blood boiling, like spilling something and its hard to cool down. Never was like that before but seems to be subsiding as well. So we'll see!

August 31, 2010 8:20 AM

I LOVED Wellbutrin....until I had a seizure. I had the seizure within two days of upping the dosage from 150mg to 300 mg. Saw a neurologist. Ran the tests and the seizure was attributed to Wellbutrin. It lowered the seizure threshold. I wish it hadn't because for the first time in years I had so much energy.

July 13, 2010 2:13 PM

I was tired all the time.I have been to Iraq and back and the way I felt was just the way I thought I should feel. I was lazy sometimes. Would put things off. Irrated, get upset quickly. For years and years I just thought that was me. Major drinker...smoker... Couldn't ever get enough sleep. No motivation to get out of bed. Again I thought that was me...I started to have anxiety after my wife's had a miscarriage. Then we got pregnant again then things really started to get out of control. Wellbutrin saved me. I QUIT DRINKING AND SMOKING! Motivated, love being a dad! Work is great! Slight sexual side effects.

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2010 7:42 AM

Review by okay.:

I went on the 300 XL version for about 1.5 years when I was in College. It improved my motivation/concentration/energy/mood, but I had hallucinations. Also, I did have a few severe major depressive episodes while taking it but my rebound back to "normal" was quick. I stopped taking the medicine for about a year- turned into the most severe episode of depression. When I went back on it, started at 150mg SR - no problemw, then back on the 300 XL and had terrible anxiety/agitation. Switched to 200SR- it's perfect. I'm not as moody/mopey/feeling sorry for myself. I don't spend hours on the couch. The fog is gone but I think I will ask my Doctor if I can take 2 x day- my fatigue/concentration are getting worse. Overall, great medication.

June 14, 2010 8:31 PM

After feeling suicidal for over 6 months, out of desperation I started this (I've been pretty anti-antidepressants my entire life) but it's frankly looking like this is going to be a life-long medicine for me. Already feeling good after 3 weeks.

June 14, 2010 10:57 AM

Review by college girl:

I was recently put on Wellbutrin by the College's psychiatrist. I just started it yesterday and I feel great. The things that I used to dwell are not on my mind. I woke up early this morning for work, and I never do that. I smiled today and I feel like having new adventures and not concentrating on things that make me upset. I am sure there will be better days to come and I am so excited.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2010 10:11 AM

Review by Lel:

I have been on Wellbutrin for over five years. After trying Effexor and Zoloft my experience with this has been really good. I was in denial about my depression for a few years after having some terrible things happen in my life. I cried all the time and felt %u201Ctrapped%u201D by the depression. I was also very moody. I never felt suicidal but had morbid thoughts about the weirdest things. There were issues for the first week or so. My mouth tasted like metal and I had major trouble sleeping. After a few weeks the crying and irritability went away. I actually lost a few pounds and had no sexual side effects. An unexpected bonus was that the jaw pain I had been suffering from for years completely went away. I have tried to stop taking it a few times and the first thing that comes back is jaw pain. After a week or so the crying and morbid thoughts start again. Now my doctor says I need to try something different because Wellbutrin does nothing for anxiety. I love my Wellbutrin so much I am afraid to give it up but I do recognize my tendency toward anxiety. Wish me luck!

June 1, 2010 9:26 PM

Review by roalin:

Suffer from SAD and PTSD tried Zoloft but had sexual side effects and still felt depressed. I have taken Wellbutrin with much success. Occasionally I have stopped taking it and the depression returns. No sexual side effects and I'm back to my usual happy, positive and energetic self. I've had to increase the dose to 300mg XL four times daily, still felt the blues and lack of concentration on 150 four times a day. Doing great! No extreme side effects ringing in ears stopped, love the decrease in appetite and am now able to and desiring to exercise so the weight loss is a plus. Occasional nausea but able to deal with it. I Love feeling back to my old self; highly recommend!

May 30, 2010 7:47 PM

Review by hopefull32:

I have taken Paxil, Effexor and Lexapro. These drugs helped but left me feeling like a zombie, had sexual side effects, and extreme night sweats. Because, of these side effects I always went of the prescription after a year or less. When I went off Effexor I was energetic, worked out and felt great. I thought if I could just maintain working out I would be okay. Well I slowly quit working out and got angrier and angrier. I tried to fight it for 3 years before I couldn't take it any more. This time the doctor put me on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL. I started feeling better within a couple of days. I did experience bad headaches and had a upset stomach for the first month. It was worth it. I have no side effects and feel 100% normal.

May 23, 2010 5:41 PM

I've been taking this medication for over 6 months and it has been a good fit for me. At first I had a little trouble sleeping but other than this it has been easy. I am taking the SR type so I have to take it 2x per day which can be a pain. I have not had a depressive episode since starting on Wellbutrin.

April 25, 2010 10:32 PM

Review by alpha22:

Took one pill and all the side effects manifested ... full blown. Another on a long list of wonder drugs that give me the full blown side effects. My doctor put me on a couple of the old stand-bys and I'm doing pretty good.

April 14, 2010 12:31 PM

Wellbutrin has helped me a great deal. In response to one person who said they are having trouble sleeping...after 10 years on this anti-depressant with doses going up and down by 100 mg a day. Difficulty sleeping has always been a sign of a dosage that was too high. If I have trouble sleeping, and headaches that feel tight in the back of my head, and feel easily irritated, lowering my dose by 50mg usually fixes the situation within 3 weeks.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2010 1:36 AM

I have been taking Wellbutrin continuously for 20 years. If it were not for this miracle drug I would be dead. There is no doubt in my mind that my intractable depression was arrested with Wellbutrin. I have a chemical imbalance that is permanent, I once went off Wellbutrin for a month because I was taking another medicine, within three weeks I was having suicidal ideas. Needless to say I will not go off it again, my doctor assures me it is safe for lifelong use.

192 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2010 3:28 PM

After struggling with motivation and depression through my teens I was diagnosed at 17 with a chemical imbalance. Then and during my 20s I tried Prozac( did nothing), Zoloft(made me extremely fatigued) and Effexor (barely helped) and nothing really did the trick for me--I eventually succumbed and just stayed depressed, tired and irritable. After having my 2nd child in 2008 I was diagnosed with postpartum depression. My OB put me on Wellbutrin 150 mg, twice daily. I feel like ME again. I concentrate better, am generally happy, way less irritable and feel more in control. Oh and TONS more energy than before. I don't plan on being off it any time soon. I have a little trouble here and there with falling asleep/sometimes jitters - that's about it.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2010 3:04 PM

Been on this for 5 years now, not a magic bullet, but still works fairly well. I have NO side effects at all, and never have from this drug. I eat fine, sleep fine, no headaches. I used to cry all the time and had OCD as well, this helps with the crying, the OCD is a little better too. I get worried that I might be becoming immune to it, but I will cross that bridge later. Give it a try, the side effects are not a factor for everyone.

January 26, 2010 10:51 AM

I am a 28 year old mother of 2. I was diagnosed as being Anxious Depressive after battling for 5 years with Post Partum & paranoia. I started on Citalopram for about 2 years. Then 8 months ago changed to Flouxetine, because I was falling back into depression. I talked to my doctor a week ago about my concerns with my lack of libido. I was also still battling getting up in the AM and starting my day. She has added Wellbutrin along with Flouxetine. I started with 150mg for 4 days and today is my second day taking 300mg. It is working wonderfully! I have not noticed any real side effects and wake up ready to take on the day. Because of my anxiety I can't take Wellbutrin alone, but it has been the perfect extra kick I needed.

January 20, 2010 9:42 PM

Review by TDizzle:

I have suffered from severe depression for over 3 years, mood swings, irritable, loss of interest, huge lack of energy, absolutely no motivation, anxiety, paranoia, and panic attacks. I was prescribed 100mg extended release 2 times daily and its amazing how quickly it works. I don't have nearly as many mood swings as before, I have tons of energy (once you are on Wellbutrin you realize just how much depression really affects you without even noticing it), tons of motivation. (I used to debate whether I should do this or that now I just do it there's no question whatsoever). However it did not help my anxiety or panic attacks, the side effects for me were a very annoying twitching and dry mouth. I have only been on it for a week so time will tell.

January 20, 2010 3:56 AM

By no means a miracle drug but it really pulled me out of a deep depression. After just a few days people began to notice a change in my appearance and mood for the better. I began to take an interest in people and places. I began to do the things I used to love again such as play the guitar and go to sporting events. Side effects were: really dry mouth which I did not mind because I switched from craving soda all the time to craving water instead. Slight ringing in the ears. I only sleep 6 or so hours a night but it's not a big deal because I'm more energetic now than I was when sleeping 9 hours.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2010 7:27 PM

I've been taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin for two months now, and I am really impressed with how great it has been. I am way more motivated, feel happier, and quit smoking too. I find it much easier to go to work, and going to the gym is actually wonderful, instead of the incredibly difficult task it was before. I think that Wellbutrin works particularly well when combined with exercise. I have had a little bit of dry mouth and some trouble sleeping, but when compared to the benefits, the side effects are very minor.

January 13, 2010 6:32 PM