User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"Took one 150 mg for a week. Supposed to move up to twice a day but afraid. I have shaky, like nerves going through my body every day but not all the time. Can't finish a thought and am sleeping horrible. Dr says stick to one a day and see if symptoms go away. Interesting to me that's sme people get 75 mg twice a day and some get one 150. I suffer from moderate depression and panic."

Boosy February 27, 2012

"I've been on the medicine for about six months. I can honestly say I feel better, and I have more energy than I ever have in the past. I used to take Zoloft but it never really had an effect on me. After taking Welbutrin, I definitely can't see myself taking any other medicine. It has helped me remarkably. I never have sad thoughts, and my anxiety is VERY well controlled. I would highly recommend. I would just advise not to consume any alcohol with it! That's the only problem I have came across with this medicine."

Anonymous February 12, 2012

"I have incurable cancer and fell into deep depression. My doctor prescribed the smallest dose of Wellbutrin. I took it and one hour later I was happy as a clam. I had been taking it for two months when I suddenly lost connection to the world. I assumed that the medicine had quit working and the doctor upped the dosage. I am now jittery and unable to sit still, can't concentrate and have no appetite. Not a good thing for someone in my condition as I'm not supposed to lose weight. It worked at first but now I"m thinking I need to get off it."

Sundown421 February 11, 2012

"I have been taking this medicine for 2 weeks now and I feel much better. I was extremely depressed and unmotivated. I tried taking Lexapro and the sexual side effects were severe and the benefits were not worth the trade off so I stopped taking it. My psychologist recommended Wellbutrin as an alternative and I am SO glad that I tried it. I am more focused in school, exercising, and have an overall more positive attitude. The only problem that I have experienced is that I have a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep at night. It is VERY annoying, but worth it to me. No sexual side effects and no weight gain."

Anonymous January 25, 2012

"I have been taking Wellbutrin for about a month and a half. Have taken Effexor, duloxetine, reboxitine, citalopram and have not had any real benefit from any of them, but I have from Wellbutrin. I haven't felt this normal in more years than I can remember and my creativity is back."

gill46 January 20, 2012

"I'd never thought about depression until I happened to read a psychology case study. I read about a person that could have been myself. I wasn't feeling sad or suicidal, but I had no energy, self-control and the only way to get me to do something was negative motivation. I had gotten to the point where I rarely bathed, missed work as often as I possibly could without getting fired, couldn't even make myself go to the store when I needed something. When I started taking the 150mg XL I started to have good days during the second week, and after being on the 300mg for a couple months now I feel like a new person. So much more energy, motivation, etc."

Anonymous January 19, 2012

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on Wellbutrin for depression, anxiety, and ADD. Within the first couple of days I immediately felt better, like how I used to feel. It unfortunately didn't help my concentration, but it greatly helped my depression and anxiety. I was on 2 pills of 75 mg each for two weeks, then that increased to 4 of 75 mg each for four weeks. I didn't feel any difference after the increase, which was done in attempt to help my ADD. Unfortunately during this sixth week I had a seizure. After a MRI, fMRI, EEG and consultation with my neurologist, it was determined that the seizure was solely due to Wellbutrin. However I know this is rare, and I still highly recommend Wellbutrin. It really helped me before the seizure!"

Anonymous January 17, 2012

"I've been taking 300mg Wellbutrin for 6 months. I haven't noticed any side effects to Wellbutrin, so that's good, but the problem is I also haven't noticed much effect at all. I did notice that I don't hit my total low point almost ever now, but besides knocking out my worst feeling of depression, it hasn't done much. I still spend most of my time incredibly sad, I still feel so awful about myself that I have immense difficulty socializing and I still feel like anxiety is eating away at me. But I guess even if I'm not happy, as long as I'm not at my lowest point I'll be fine."

CaleighEP January 14, 2012

"For a short while (about a month) this medication worked alright for me, but after that I started having anger issues and mood swings. I was worse on this medication than I was without it. I've heard a lot of people have great results with it, but it was much more of a detriment than a boon for me."

Anonymous January 12, 2012

"I felt like a zombie while taking it. I tried it at different doses, different times and it never made any difference. Sure, the major mood swings were gone, but I stayed mostly sullen and indifferent. I have been off it and on Paxil for six months and I firmly believe the change gave me my life back."

Anonymous January 7, 2012

"I've been on it for a month now and am just now starting to see some change. I don't "ruminate" on thoughts in my head over and over like I used to. Anxiety is cut in half. As time goes on anxiety lessens. Yet to see an instant weight change, am starting weight watchers and the gym so that will help, can't say that the medicines are doing that. One big downside is I don't like taking it twice a day. Around the timing of dose #2 I feel a little dizzy. Still, trying to hang in there for a bit to get the full effects of this medicine!"

Hip Mama January 3, 2012

"Came off Celexa- I had absolutely no sex drive. They told me Welbutrin had the least amount of sexual side effects. Well, first 3 days I started with 1 time a day 150mg. I started to get migraines that would make me nauseous. Called the doctor, they told me it was probably from coming off of Celexa so after 3 days changed to twice a day dosing as directed! BAD IDEA I could not open my eyes around light it would make my head hurt so bad that I would start throwing up. Also couldn't eat, lost 5 lbs. Continued hoping it would go away but it got WORSE, started not being able to breathe and my heart was beating really fast. Almost went to the ER. So the Next I took 1 pill and next day stopped, symptoms went away! "

Arielle 139 November 29, 2011

"Was on Prozac for 15 yrs, if it's not broke don't fix it kind of thing, wanted to drop the sexual side effects and apathy so after research requested bupropion (am a nurse). If you can stick out the first few weeks of side effects (same as others have sited) it is worth it. Can finally respond to my husband and am able to feel sadness and joy and concentrate more clearly. Do be mindful of any fluctuations you may feel with different manufacturer generics your pharmacy may use. It could be a nightmare (it was for me), like plummeting into an abyss in turmoil. Went to a different pharmacy to order the version that works for me!"

nursesmiley November 16, 2011

"30lbs lost. New outlook on life. Does make me have trouble sleeping."

Anonymous November 6, 2011

"I have been on this medicine for three days now. I take 75MG twice a day. The one big thing I have noticed is that I am a lot more calm. I can think clearer with this medicine. I now it was working with what happened to me tonight. Long story short, a girl I like that I was supposed to meet ended up ditching me. Without this I would have been really angry, like smoke out of ears mad. I was mad, but not that mad. This has calmed me down a bunch!"

Anonymous October 30, 2011

"I have battled depression, irritability, mood swings, crying at the drop of a hat for years. I have tried Celexa and Prozac and they did nothing for me. Last week I went on Wellbutrin, I am taking 300 mg a day. The only side effect I am noticing at this point is being thirsty all the time. I can honestly say in one week's time I have really chilled out. I used to obsess over things I could not control and now I am not as bad. I am sleeping better than I have in years despite what most people have said about Wellbutrin causing sleep issues. It has also suppressed my appetite some and the urge to smoke a pack a day. (I am down to about 5 cigarettes in a day, in 1 week). I hope the benefits just continue to get better as my body adjusts to it."

Anonymous October 20, 2011

"My only complaint is that I got the prescription from a GP who started me off on 150 mg which is way too intense a dose to start off with and made me have crazy mood swings. I've done my research and got a new doctor, and there's something called a 75mg pill they're supposed to start you on so you can ease into it. But anyway...I've been on it for 3 months now and my mood has improved significantly. I'm a lot more active than I used to be (I used to be very lethargic and unmotivated) and I'm also a lot more talkative. Definitely saved my life. "

iusedtobecrazy October 16, 2011

"I'm 29yr, male on Wellbutrin 150mg SR. Initially, had nausea, but it went away after 2 days. I've noticed my sleep has vastly improved. I used to sleep 10 hrs, sometimes more and I still felt like I needed more rest. With Wellbutrin I sleep 7-8hrs and wake up well rested. Additionally, when 2-3pm rolls around I'm not begging for a nap. Concentration is much improved, mood is generally good, and I've lost 10lbs. One warning I can give though is to NOT drink alcohol with Wellbutrin. It's not obvious at first, but the next 3 days it's back to depression, bad depression. Seems like alcohol blocks this medicine out. I can confirm this 2x. Not sure if 3 hrs of drinking is worth the 3 days of depression that follows after."

bikeguy637 October 13, 2011

"This medication has saved my life. I've had a chronic case of major depressive disorder, clinically diagnosed and treated for over 15 years. When I was rudely and suddenly cut off this medication due to financial issues, I became suicidal and was hospitalized after a violent suicide attempt. I had never been suicidal before. I had never before been hospitalized for depression. Today, I'm just grateful to have a better doctor. I'm very happy and proud to have a full year recovered from that horrible, tragic time a year ago when I was denied access to Wellbutrin."

koleary September 29, 2011

"I have been on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks now. I am not sure if it just isn't working or if it is actually making things worse. Crying, sleepless, anxious, restless. Don't know whether I should quit taking it or not. Doctor is on vacation this week, will see him the following week. Was on Effexor for about 3 years. It worked great for me, but somehow I decided I didn't need it anymore, within a month I realized I was wrong. Tried going back on it but it caused horrible side effects."

Anonymous September 11, 2011

"I started with 50 mg once, then twice per day, increased to 200mg per day, and it did NOTHING but makes me have chills on my scalp AND even though it is summertime, I am sweating really badly. Other than sweating I hadn't noticed it working at all, as I still have been snapping at my daughter.. So my doctor upped my dosage to 450 per day. Hot and sweaty as ever, but it comes and goes.... been on Wellbutrin since mid June 2011, and just maybe.... just maybe, it helped me last week when I should have been totally devastated over my boyfriends drama. I remember not having nervous pangs in my stomach, sort of bold, but not superwoman-like. I still just lay in bed a lot, not motivated, and I think my weight is going up! But I am on the highest dose. "

riseupsnoclaf August 31, 2011

"I had a SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION TO THIS MEDICINE."

Anonymous August 22, 2011

"After 3 years of a dark depression, I hit bottom and started Wellbutrin 300mg every day. Over the next 2 years, I've lost weight (because I was trying), I quit smoking (because I wanted to) and I discovered a small part of life that was tolerable (a small part). I increased to 400mg in July because I felt myself slipping back to the dark place and it's the first time I've noticed side effects: marked insomnia, unfavorable irritability, a little bit of numbness, I crave sweets and I don't seem to want sex as much. So I'm thinking 300mg was the therapeutic dose for me and will call my doctor to see what the plan is. On the bright side of the 400mg, I'm sitting here tonight writing a positive review for the medicine I believe in."

jenn8ny July 31, 2011

"I'm shocked to see not a single negative review listed. The first day taking Wellbutrin after drinks with a friend (not advisable) we had a bad fight, my anger was uncontrollable. That next day I had a fight with my roommate, I was absorbed in rage, completely unaware of others' feelings. That week I was stuck in my head, angry, charged, paranoid and isolated. A week later I had terrible fight with my roommate resulting in a BAD physical altercation, cops were called, next day she moved out. Next day I was extremely depressed and indifferent. I stopped taking it. Maybe I didn't give it time. Don't want to discourage others but if you have irritability/anger issues be very aware and cautious."

NotGood July 11, 2011

"I have been on over 15 different antidepressants across every category. I have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (Ensam), tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs (several - Effexor, Pristiq, etc.) and nothing worked. I'm taking Welbutrin 150 mg once a day (along with the Effexor XR still at 300mg) and it is incredible. I feel amazing. Unfortunately, after 3 weeks I developed hives all over my body that were itchy. While the itchiness went away after 3 days and the hives only come out at night now, my blood work shows I'm having a bad reaction to it. I also lost 14 lbs in 4 weeks (a good thing). I do feel extremely anxious and agitated at times and can't stop wiggling my foot, for example. Combined with the Effexor (which causes too much sleep), my sleep is at the right length now."

Anonymous July 7, 2011