Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I have taken this medication for approximately 10 years. I have discontinued use 3 times and my depression resumed each time. I believe many side effects and negative experiences could be avoided if doctors would start patients out with a smaller dose. It has been my experience that when I start with 300mgs I have migraines, nausea, dizziness and itching. I do not have this issue if I start off at 50mgs and gradually increase over 3 months to 300mgs. This medication helps me more than any other and does not make me gain weight. It also seems to slightly help with my adult ADHD, anxiety, OCD, PMS and chronic pain.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 1:25 PM

Review by Moclem (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Wellbutrin after taking Zoloft for several years. The Zoloft was not effective anymore, though it had worked perfectly for a long time. Wellbutrin nearly killed me. I was more upset, anxious, and suicidal than I had been in years. For some reason, it just did not agree with me chemically. Afterward I went on Remeron. That was an experience to read about!

May 24, 2012 1:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I haven't been on this medication for long (3 1/2 weeks) but I can already tell a significant difference, I mean it's really noticeable. I have been depressed for about 5 years. During my college years it got really bad up to a point I started seeking help. First it was the college counselor, then a private counselor, then finally a psychiatrist. I was struggling in school, failing a bunch of classes because I had a terrible time focusing and remembering things. I was sleeping 10 hours a day, something I thought was impossible for a college student and still somehow managed to nap in the afternoons. Since I got on Wellbutrin I have a huge increase in energy, sleep 7-8 hours a day, don't feel the need to nap. I go out, even started jogging.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2012 4:43 PM

I've been taking bupropion for 5 weeks now and I am SO thankful! Teaching high school was becoming almost impossible. Try dealing with a room full of teenagers all day long when you are depressed, have no energy, no motivation and can't think straight. And I'd come home too tired and achy to exercise. I didn't even know how bad it was till I started feeling normal again. Now I can think straight, I have energy, faith in myself and no more muscle aches. And NO side effects. (well one little one- less appetite so I don't bother to cook dinner for myself regularly anymore). I just feel like me again! I am so grateful!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2012 9:59 PM

I started off on the Wellbutrin 150 mg XL twice a day and I was exhausted everyday, not to mention the nausea was so bad I had to stop taking it. Just started on Wellbutrin immediate release at 100 mg once a day and it is a complete difference. I have so much more energy and focus, so far I love it. I do get a little headache by the end of the day but its not a big deal.

April 29, 2012 8:22 PM

Just started Wellbutrin 1 week ago. Was taking Lexparo 20 mg for about 6 years. About 6 months ago the depression grew in a negative way. I cut back to 10 mg a day.... BAD IDEA for me. Hopelessness, despair, tiredness were just a few of the negative kickbacks. Asked doctor to try Wellbutrin. After one week my appetite is finally, after 47 years, under control. I read that this medicine was good long term; only problem is the loud ringing in ears and this weird feeling in my head. I'm hoping the weird head feeling will go away, but other than that so far so good. Despaired feeling is gone, but I am a little emotional.

April 29, 2012 7:27 PM

Review by serialmom12:

I've been on Wellbutrin for a few years now but I may have to go off of it now due to my job loss. It has really helped my depression and not caused a huge weight gain like Effexor and Zoloft did.

April 15, 2012 12:34 PM

Really bad. I didn't feel better at all just constantly "wired" like I had drank 6 cups of coffee. I couldn't sleep at all.

April 6, 2012 11:40 AM

My son suffered 3 concussions back to back which left him in a zombie like state for several (7) years. He was not sad, per se, just in a state of chronic malaise coupled with chronic fatigue, i.e. not being able to stay awake more then 2 or 3 hours at a time. Finally, we were able to find a Doctor who was familiar with head injuries and the low level of dopamine that the victim is often left with. Wellbutrin is a dopamine and noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor so it is really working great for our son. It was literally like flicking his switch back "on". Anyone who has not felt like their old self after even a minor concussion should consider using this medicine.

April 5, 2012 12:03 PM

I've been taking Wellbutrin for two years for depression. My general mood, concentration, and energy levels are much improved. I have a tendency towards anxiety, but most bad, depressed, or anxious moods last approximately half an hour and then go away. Before I took Wellbutrin, these moods could have lasted days. It slightly decreased my appetite and I've lost ten pounds. Negative side effects have included dry mouth, headaches, and occasional dizziness. Despite these, Wellbutrin has improved my life a lot and I believe that the medicine is more than worth trying.

March 27, 2012 11:21 PM

I took this medicine for about 6 weeks. I loved the increased energy during the day, the weight loss and decreased desire to smoke! But it didn't do much to improve my mood and PMDD and I had trouble staying asleep at night.

March 20, 2012 12:09 PM

I've been diagnosed and treated 20 years ago for major depression (used Prozac). Last year I was diagnosed again for major depression and doctor suggested I try Wellbutrin so it would not affect my sexual desire and give me some energy. I did well the first few weeks on the starter dose 75mg/day. Then they up to 150mg/day and I had a major emotional reaction. My body went into crying spells for 20 minutes and I couldn't control it. It was a weird thing. Stopped it immediately - took 2 days to wear off.

March 17, 2012 9:08 PM

I have been taking Wellbutrin for a little over 5 weeks now and I have never been so sleepy in my life. I know its supposed to be one of the more stimulating antidepressants but it has the opposite effect on me so Im going to have to discontinue use. My doctor only prescribed it to me to try and counter act a sexual side effect I am having due to Prozac. Anyways, everyone is different but it didnt work for me. Thank you...

March 15, 2012 8:31 PM

I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder in 2003. My Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin 150 mg. The depression and paranoia were still an issue until the dosage was increased to 300mg. I also take Xanax 0.25 mg daily. I have been on these medication to date. I don't like being on any medications because of a feeling of dependency on a substance. When I weigh out the pros and cons I think my quality of life is 100 % better and I can function at a level which seems normal for me. I wasn't able to pass a car on the highway without a panic attack. Since this medicine was introduced to me, I can do everything I use to before my diagnosis of PTSD.

March 15, 2012 8:03 AM

When I first began this medication, it increased my suicidal thoughts but that was expected. After about 2 weeks, I began to feel better. I was more cheerful. After a month of taking the medication, I was completely happy. There are days when it does not work but that is expected. Recently, my dosage was raised from 75mg twice a day to 150 twice a day. My body is still trying to adapt to the recent increase. I am more sensitive to touch. Almost everything tickles. I don't mind it. This is a good medication. I'm a little sad that I have to get off of it in July.

March 12, 2012 3:23 AM

Review by TOBB:

I felt the life was worthless, close to suicidal. I tried different medicines, without any result. The Wellbutrin changed my life. I have been using it for 2 years. In the beginning 150mg made a big change. After some time I used 300mg. Now I have stabilized in a pretty good mood and energy with only "filling up" with Wellbutrin two or three times a week. No side effects. Try it, it is nothing to lose.

March 10, 2012 10:18 AM

Review by Boosy:

Took one 150 mg for a week. Supposed to move up to twice a day but afraid. I have shaky, like nerves going through my body every day but not all the time. Can't finish a thought and am sleeping horrible. Dr says stick to one a day and see if symptoms go away. Interesting to me that's sme people get 75 mg twice a day and some get one 150. I suffer from moderate depression and panic.

February 27, 2012 1:10 PM

I've been on the medicine for about six months. I can honestly say I feel better, and I have more energy than I ever have in the past. I used to take Zoloft but it never really had an effect on me. After taking Welbutrin, I definitely can't see myself taking any other medicine. It has helped me remarkably. I never have sad thoughts, and my anxiety is VERY well controlled. I would highly recommend. I would just advise not to consume any alcohol with it! That's the only problem I have came across with this medicine.

February 12, 2012 3:04 AM

Review by Sundown421:

I have incurable cancer and fell into deep depression. My doctor prescribed the smallest dose of Wellbutrin. I took it and one hour later I was happy as a clam. I had been taking it for two months when I suddenly lost connection to the world. I assumed that the medicine had quit working and the doctor upped the dosage. I am now jittery and unable to sit still, can't concentrate and have no appetite. Not a good thing for someone in my condition as I'm not supposed to lose weight. It worked at first but now I"m thinking I need to get off it.

February 11, 2012 9:38 PM

I have been taking this medicine for 2 weeks now and I feel much better. I was extremely depressed and unmotivated. I tried taking Lexapro and the sexual side effects were severe and the benefits were not worth the trade off so I stopped taking it. My psychologist recommended Wellbutrin as an alternative and I am SO glad that I tried it. I am more focused in school, exercising, and have an overall more positive attitude. The only problem that I have experienced is that I have a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep at night. It is VERY annoying, but worth it to me. No sexual side effects and no weight gain.

January 25, 2012 2:38 AM

Review by gill46:

I have been taking Wellbutrin for about a month and a half. Have taken Effexor, duloxetine, reboxitine, citalopram and have not had any real benefit from any of them, but I have from Wellbutrin. I haven't felt this normal in more years than I can remember and my creativity is back.

January 20, 2012 1:14 PM

I'd never thought about depression until I happened to read a psychology case study. I read about a person that could have been myself. I wasn't feeling sad or suicidal, but I had no energy, self-control and the only way to get me to do something was negative motivation. I had gotten to the point where I rarely bathed, missed work as often as I possibly could without getting fired, couldn't even make myself go to the store when I needed something. When I started taking the 150mg XL I started to have good days during the second week, and after being on the 300mg for a couple months now I feel like a new person. So much more energy, motivation, etc.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2012 8:53 PM

I was put on Wellbutrin for depression, anxiety, and ADD. Within the first couple of days I immediately felt better, like how I used to feel. It unfortunately didn't help my concentration, but it greatly helped my depression and anxiety. I was on 2 pills of 75 mg each for two weeks, then that increased to 4 of 75 mg each for four weeks. I didn't feel any difference after the increase, which was done in attempt to help my ADD. Unfortunately during this sixth week I had a seizure. After a MRI, fMRI, EEG and consultation with my neurologist, it was determined that the seizure was solely due to Wellbutrin. However I know this is rare, and I still highly recommend Wellbutrin. It really helped me before the seizure!

January 17, 2012 8:40 PM

Review by CaleighEP:

I've been taking 300mg Wellbutrin for 6 months. I haven't noticed any side effects to Wellbutrin, so that's good, but the problem is I also haven't noticed much effect at all. I did notice that I don't hit my total low point almost ever now, but besides knocking out my worst feeling of depression, it hasn't done much. I still spend most of my time incredibly sad, I still feel so awful about myself that I have immense difficulty socializing and I still feel like anxiety is eating away at me. But I guess even if I'm not happy, as long as I'm not at my lowest point I'll be fine.

January 14, 2012 2:15 AM

For a short while (about a month) this medication worked alright for me, but after that I started having anger issues and mood swings. I was worse on this medication than I was without it. I've heard a lot of people have great results with it, but it was much more of a detriment than a boon for me.

January 12, 2012 10:25 PM