Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

Review by JethroJ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication makes me feel weird like my brain is dehydrated, loss of appetite, constant headaches and a jittery feeling that was uncomfortable at times. Reduced smoking cravings and made smoking really gross. Had a few drinks on new years....bad idea, sick for days.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 1:37 PM

Review by Shannon1389 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am a dancer and for the past 5 years I have struggled with anorexia and bulimia. I began noticing signs of depression as early as 13. I felt hopeless, unloved, unworthy and extremely alone. After 5 years I decided that I needed to change. In the spring I got a bi-weekly therapist and saw a physician and got a prescription for Wellbutrin. Within two weeks the therapist herself determined that I would be fine and no longer needed therapy. I have not had one bulimic episode since. I went from leading a reclusive, regimented life to a fun-filled, exciting one. I made many new friends and went from feeling so low that no one could possibly love me to finding the love of my life. Get help; this medicine changed my life!

217 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2012 1:44 PM

Review by Laura S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took Wellbutrin at first to quit smoking. This was last year. It really did help me quit smoking and that was great. I have to say DO NOT DRINK ON WELLBUTRIN because it made me black out and huge problems from this. After my bad experience drinking on Wellbutrin I stopped taking it. After reading these reviews again I have decided to get back on it and this time around I wont have a problem seeing as I quit drinking completely. I have been in denial for a ling time but I do suffer from severe depression and weight problems and I am praying that this time around I can stick to it and turn my life around. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories they are very inspiring!

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2012 11:11 PM

I was first prescribed Pristiq and found it to seriously affect my interest in sex. I was then switched to Wellbutrin. I have been on this medication for 2 months now. At first I had severe headaches and almost gave up. I'm glad I didn't because I am feeling much better. I do find it hard to sleep some nights but hopefully that too will pass. I also feel nausea occasionally. My moods seems much better, negative thoughts creep up but quickly go away and I feel more content. I am currently on 150 mg.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2012 12:29 AM

Nausea and a lot of sweating but works well. It keeps me wide awake.

December 9, 2012 4:27 AM

This drug was not for me. Its very stimulating. It made me aggresive, angry and irritable. It had several unpleasant side effect, like headache, heavy head, aggitation AND fatigue, strange shock sensations in the brain, loss of appetite, unwanted weight loss, insomnia, broken sleep, nightmares, trembling and dehydration. And with all that, it never lifted my mood at all. It made me completely dysphoric. I cried daily, screamed at my husband and kids and hated myself and my body so much I had thoughts of self-harm. In the past I have taken SSRIs and never experienced anything as negative as this. Although the sexual side effects on others were atrocious! That is one thing Wellbutrin didn't cause, sexual dysfunction. I am a 31 year old female.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2012 1:17 AM

Review by momsnowbunny (taken for less than 1 month):

This is the most amazing medication for depression! I have used it in the past, and am so glad to start back on it again. I have had so many bad things happen, that it is time for some good. I am grateful for the way it helps me see the bright side of life, instead of living so unhappily and feeling hopeless. If you have ever thought of suicide, please don't do it. I know this medicine helped me from doing it in my past, it's wonderful. Problems are temporary.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2012 6:04 PM

I love this medicine. It has helped me stopped smoking plus it gives me much needed energy. No side effects.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2012 6:53 PM

Review by carolar44 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was doing great on Wellbutrin then my plan switched to a Generic. Within a week, I was back to serious depression.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2012 4:58 PM

Review by Ogo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Horrible side effects; irritability, headaches, malaise, did not help me with depression as a result.

September 23, 2012 4:05 PM

Review by Shayney (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I take Welbutrin XR, so it takes a couple to a few weeks to kick in and wear off. I didn't like it very much when I first started because it really didn't feel like anything changed for me. I never felt like I was on medication at all, I just felt normal. But I talked to my doctor about it, and he pretty much explained how that was exactly how it's supposed to be. So ever since then, I've been hopelessly devoted to my Welbutrin XR.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2012 1:42 PM

Review by Sjom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bupropion has restored my very far-gone faith in the entire concept of medicine for depression. It's not an acutely noticeable effect, I am not jumping for joy or smiling like an idiot but I am not depressed anymore. I still have kind of a sad life thanks to my mental health problems but I no longer feel like I need to kill myself in the near future, I don't cry, and my anxiety has become less severe. Prior to bupropion I had been on a ridiculously long list of other antidepressant medication (Including but not limited to: Fluoxetine, Citalopram, Venalfaxine, Mirtazapine) and benzodiazapines for anxiety (like, 4 different ones). These did NOTHING. But bupropion did, it's kind of amazing. I recommend it highly.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2012 6:33 PM

Review by quarkster73 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I first took it I thought it was great but after being on it awhile I got terrible headaches and if you ever got angry while on it my blood pressure went real high.

August 4, 2012 6:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on it for less than a week. The first week is supposedly the hardest. I've had a lot of lightheaded effects and a bit of nausea and muscle twitching. The more I give it a chance, the better I feel. I changed it up the last couple days and started doing the 150mg pill in increments, half a pill twice a day. It makes me feel much more balanced. I dont ever remember me having this much self control. It's amazing.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2012 3:43 AM

Review by smw78 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I'm 33 years old. I've been on this medication for 6 years. My mood, temper and life in general are so much better. I went several years with depression that came on with postpartum. In a state of denial about my condition and not wanting to be labeled, I would not seek treatment. I wish I would have done so much sooner. I cannot say enough about Wellbutrin, it has changed my life. I deal with stress, death and everyday life of raising two teenagers now, which I firmly believe I could not have done without it. I have found you can be happy and would encourage people to get the mental help they need because medications like this one are life changing. I can also add side effects have not been an issue for me at all.

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2012 2:55 PM

Review by Waldo222 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking the general medication not the brand name for about 3 months now and after a couple of weeks I would be in a good mood and the little things that would annoy me wouldn't anymore. I wanted to do things and not just be home all the time. But recently I have relapsed and went up on my dose from 300mg to 450mg and still feel depressed. I don't know if my body is just tolerating it or what but I hope my depression improves.

July 2, 2012 2:31 AM

Review by sandraflower (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Wellbutrin now for 6 days. I was amazed how wonderful I felt on the first day I took it. I had been on another medicine for 6 months and it never help my depression so my Doc. put me on this one. I feel like a real person again. The only I am having trouble with is chirpping in my ears and foggy head. It is hard to keep my thoughts together sometimes.

June 22, 2012 10:17 PM

Review by gigantor (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on this about a month and titrated my dose slowly. It might've started to improve my depression at first but that didn't seem to last. It also probably increased my anxiety. It caused constipation and upper GI slowness as well that took three weeks to improve. It also caused a pungent feminine odor that lasted the entire as I took it, not just before my period.

June 19, 2012 1:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I have taken this medication for approximately 10 years. I have discontinued use 3 times and my depression resumed each time. I believe many side effects and negative experiences could be avoided if doctors would start patients out with a smaller dose. It has been my experience that when I start with 300mgs I have migraines, nausea, dizziness and itching. I do not have this issue if I start off at 50mgs and gradually increase over 3 months to 300mgs. This medication helps me more than any other and does not make me gain weight. It also seems to slightly help with my adult ADHD, anxiety, OCD, PMS and chronic pain.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 1:25 PM

Review by Moclem (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Wellbutrin after taking Zoloft for several years. The Zoloft was not effective anymore, though it had worked perfectly for a long time. Wellbutrin nearly killed me. I was more upset, anxious, and suicidal than I had been in years. For some reason, it just did not agree with me chemically. Afterward I went on Remeron. That was an experience to read about!

May 24, 2012 1:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I haven't been on this medication for long (3 1/2 weeks) but I can already tell a significant difference, I mean it's really noticeable. I have been depressed for about 5 years. During my college years it got really bad up to a point I started seeking help. First it was the college counselor, then a private counselor, then finally a psychiatrist. I was struggling in school, failing a bunch of classes because I had a terrible time focusing and remembering things. I was sleeping 10 hours a day, something I thought was impossible for a college student and still somehow managed to nap in the afternoons. Since I got on Wellbutrin I have a huge increase in energy, sleep 7-8 hours a day, don't feel the need to nap. I go out, even started jogging.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2012 4:43 PM

I've been taking bupropion for 5 weeks now and I am SO thankful! Teaching high school was becoming almost impossible. Try dealing with a room full of teenagers all day long when you are depressed, have no energy, no motivation and can't think straight. And I'd come home too tired and achy to exercise. I didn't even know how bad it was till I started feeling normal again. Now I can think straight, I have energy, faith in myself and no more muscle aches. And NO side effects. (well one little one- less appetite so I don't bother to cook dinner for myself regularly anymore). I just feel like me again! I am so grateful!

May 11, 2012 9:59 PM

I started off on the Wellbutrin 150 mg XL twice a day and I was exhausted everyday, not to mention the nausea was so bad I had to stop taking it. Just started on Wellbutrin immediate release at 100 mg once a day and it is a complete difference. I have so much more energy and focus, so far I love it. I do get a little headache by the end of the day but its not a big deal.

April 29, 2012 8:22 PM

Just started Wellbutrin 1 week ago. Was taking Lexparo 20 mg for about 6 years. About 6 months ago the depression grew in a negative way. I cut back to 10 mg a day.... BAD IDEA for me. Hopelessness, despair, tiredness were just a few of the negative kickbacks. Asked doctor to try Wellbutrin. After one week my appetite is finally, after 47 years, under control. I read that this medicine was good long term; only problem is the loud ringing in ears and this weird feeling in my head. I'm hoping the weird head feeling will go away, but other than that so far so good. Despaired feeling is gone, but I am a little emotional.

April 29, 2012 7:27 PM

Review by serialmom12:

I've been on Wellbutrin for a few years now but I may have to go off of it now due to my job loss. It has really helped my depression and not caused a huge weight gain like Effexor and Zoloft did.

April 15, 2012 12:34 PM