User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been diagnosed and treated 20 years ago for major depression (used Prozac). Last year I was diagnosed again for major depression and doctor suggested I try Wellbutrin so it would not affect my sexual desire and give me some energy. I did well the first few weeks on the starter dose 75mg/day. Then they up to 150mg/day and I had a major emotional reaction. My body went into crying spells for 20 minutes and I couldn't control it. It was a weird thing. Stopped it immediately - took 2 days to wear off.

March 17, 2012 9:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Wellbutrin for a little over 5 weeks now and I have never been so sleepy in my life. I know its supposed to be one of the more stimulating antidepressants but it has the opposite effect on me so Im going to have to discontinue use. My doctor only prescribed it to me to try and counter act a sexual side effect I am having due to Prozac. Anyways, everyone is different but it didnt work for me. Thank you...

March 15, 2012 8:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder in 2003. My Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin 150 mg. The depression and paranoia were still an issue until the dosage was increased to 300mg. I also take Xanax 0.25 mg daily. I have been on these medication to date. I don't like being on any medications because of a feeling of dependency on a substance. When I weigh out the pros and cons I think my quality of life is 100 % better and I can function at a level which seems normal for me. I wasn't able to pass a car on the highway without a panic attack. Since this medicine was introduced to me, I can do everything I use to before my diagnosis of PTSD.

March 15, 2012 8:03 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

When I first began this medication, it increased my suicidal thoughts but that was expected. After about 2 weeks, I began to feel better. I was more cheerful. After a month of taking the medication, I was completely happy. There are days when it does not work but that is expected. Recently, my dosage was raised from 75mg twice a day to 150 twice a day. My body is still trying to adapt to the recent increase. I am more sensitive to touch. Almost everything tickles. I don't mind it. This is a good medication. I'm a little sad that I have to get off of it in July.

March 12, 2012 3:23 AM
Review by TOBB: User Rating:

I felt the life was worthless, close to suicidal. I tried different medicines, without any result. The Wellbutrin changed my life. I have been using it for 2 years. In the beginning 150mg made a big change. After some time I used 300mg. Now I have stabilized in a pretty good mood and energy with only "filling up" with Wellbutrin two or three times a week. No side effects. Try it, it is nothing to lose.

March 10, 2012 10:18 AM
Review by Boosy: User Rating:

Took one 150 mg for a week. Supposed to move up to twice a day but afraid. I have shaky, like nerves going through my body every day but not all the time. Can't finish a thought and am sleeping horrible. Dr says stick to one a day and see if symptoms go away. Interesting to me that's sme people get 75 mg twice a day and some get one 150. I suffer from moderate depression and panic.

February 27, 2012 1:10 PM

I've been on the medicine for about six months. I can honestly say I feel better, and I have more energy than I ever have in the past. I used to take Zoloft but it never really had an effect on me. After taking Welbutrin, I definitely can't see myself taking any other medicine. It has helped me remarkably. I never have sad thoughts, and my anxiety is VERY well controlled. I would highly recommend. I would just advise not to consume any alcohol with it! That's the only problem I have came across with this medicine.

February 12, 2012 3:04 AM
Review by Sundown421:

I have incurable cancer and fell into deep depression. My doctor prescribed the smallest dose of Wellbutrin. I took it and one hour later I was happy as a clam. I had been taking it for two months when I suddenly lost connection to the world. I assumed that the medicine had quit working and the doctor upped the dosage. I am now jittery and unable to sit still, can't concentrate and have no appetite. Not a good thing for someone in my condition as I'm not supposed to lose weight. It worked at first but now I"m thinking I need to get off it.

February 11, 2012 9:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking this medicine for 2 weeks now and I feel much better. I was extremely depressed and unmotivated. I tried taking Lexapro and the sexual side effects were severe and the benefits were not worth the trade off so I stopped taking it. My psychologist recommended Wellbutrin as an alternative and I am SO glad that I tried it. I am more focused in school, exercising, and have an overall more positive attitude. The only problem that I have experienced is that I have a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep at night. It is VERY annoying, but worth it to me. No sexual side effects and no weight gain.

January 25, 2012 2:38 AM
Review by gill46: User Rating:

I have been taking Wellbutrin for about a month and a half. Have taken Effexor, duloxetine, reboxitine, citalopram and have not had any real benefit from any of them, but I have from Wellbutrin. I haven't felt this normal in more years than I can remember and my creativity is back.

January 20, 2012 1:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'd never thought about depression until I happened to read a psychology case study. I read about a person that could have been myself. I wasn't feeling sad or suicidal, but I had no energy, self-control and the only way to get me to do something was negative motivation. I had gotten to the point where I rarely bathed, missed work as often as I possibly could without getting fired, couldn't even make myself go to the store when I needed something. When I started taking the 150mg XL I started to have good days during the second week, and after being on the 300mg for a couple months now I feel like a new person. So much more energy, motivation, etc.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 19, 2012 8:53 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was put on Wellbutrin for depression, anxiety, and ADD. Within the first couple of days I immediately felt better, like how I used to feel. It unfortunately didn't help my concentration, but it greatly helped my depression and anxiety. I was on 2 pills of 75 mg each for two weeks, then that increased to 4 of 75 mg each for four weeks. I didn't feel any difference after the increase, which was done in attempt to help my ADD. Unfortunately during this sixth week I had a seizure. After a MRI, fMRI, EEG and consultation with my neurologist, it was determined that the seizure was solely due to Wellbutrin. However I know this is rare, and I still highly recommend Wellbutrin. It really helped me before the seizure!

January 17, 2012 8:40 PM
Review by CaleighEP: User Rating:

I've been taking 300mg Wellbutrin for 6 months. I haven't noticed any side effects to Wellbutrin, so that's good, but the problem is I also haven't noticed much effect at all. I did notice that I don't hit my total low point almost ever now, but besides knocking out my worst feeling of depression, it hasn't done much. I still spend most of my time incredibly sad, I still feel so awful about myself that I have immense difficulty socializing and I still feel like anxiety is eating away at me. But I guess even if I'm not happy, as long as I'm not at my lowest point I'll be fine.

January 14, 2012 2:15 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

For a short while (about a month) this medication worked alright for me, but after that I started having anger issues and mood swings. I was worse on this medication than I was without it. I've heard a lot of people have great results with it, but it was much more of a detriment than a boon for me.

January 12, 2012 10:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I felt like a zombie while taking it. I tried it at different doses, different times and it never made any difference. Sure, the major mood swings were gone, but I stayed mostly sullen and indifferent. I have been off it and on Paxil for six months and I firmly believe the change gave me my life back.

January 7, 2012 5:49 PM
Review by Hip Mama: User Rating:

I've been on it for a month now and am just now starting to see some change. I don't "ruminate" on thoughts in my head over and over like I used to. Anxiety is cut in half. As time goes on anxiety lessens. Yet to see an instant weight change, am starting weight watchers and the gym so that will help, can't say that the medicines are doing that. One big downside is I don't like taking it twice a day. Around the timing of dose #2 I feel a little dizzy. Still, trying to hang in there for a bit to get the full effects of this medicine!

January 3, 2012 9:07 AM
Review by Arielle 139: User Rating:

Came off Celexa- I had absolutely no sex drive. They told me Welbutrin had the least amount of sexual side effects. Well, first 3 days I started with 1 time a day 150mg. I started to get migraines that would make me nauseous. Called the doctor, they told me it was probably from coming off of Celexa so after 3 days changed to twice a day dosing as directed! BAD IDEA I could not open my eyes around light it would make my head hurt so bad that I would start throwing up. Also couldn't eat, lost 5 lbs. Continued hoping it would go away but it got WORSE, started not being able to breathe and my heart was beating really fast. Almost went to the ER. So the Next I took 1 pill and next day stopped, symptoms went away!

November 29, 2011 10:27 PM
Review by nursesmiley: User Rating:

Was on Prozac for 15 yrs, if it's not broke don't fix it kind of thing, wanted to drop the sexual side effects and apathy so after research requested bupropion (am a nurse). If you can stick out the first few weeks of side effects (same as others have sited) it is worth it. Can finally respond to my husband and am able to feel sadness and joy and concentrate more clearly. Do be mindful of any fluctuations you may feel with different manufacturer generics your pharmacy may use. It could be a nightmare (it was for me), like plummeting into an abyss in turmoil. Went to a different pharmacy to order the version that works for me!

November 16, 2011 11:41 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

30lbs lost. New outlook on life. Does make me have trouble sleeping.

November 6, 2011 10:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on this medicine for three days now. I take 75MG twice a day. The one big thing I have noticed is that I am a lot more calm. I can think clearer with this medicine. I now it was working with what happened to me tonight. Long story short, a girl I like that I was supposed to meet ended up ditching me. Without this I would have been really angry, like smoke out of ears mad. I was mad, but not that mad. This has calmed me down a bunch!

October 30, 2011 3:09 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have battled depression, irritability, mood swings, crying at the drop of a hat for years. I have tried Celexa and Prozac and they did nothing for me. Last week I went on Wellbutrin, I am taking 300 mg a day. The only side effect I am noticing at this point is being thirsty all the time. I can honestly say in one week's time I have really chilled out. I used to obsess over things I could not control and now I am not as bad. I am sleeping better than I have in years despite what most people have said about Wellbutrin causing sleep issues. It has also suppressed my appetite some and the urge to smoke a pack a day. (I am down to about 5 cigarettes in a day, in 1 week). I hope the benefits just continue to get better as my body adjusts to it.

October 20, 2011 10:34 PM
Review by iusedtobecrazy: User Rating:

My only complaint is that I got the prescription from a GP who started me off on 150 mg which is way too intense a dose to start off with and made me have crazy mood swings. I've done my research and got a new doctor, and there's something called a 75mg pill they're supposed to start you on so you can ease into it. But anyway...I've been on it for 3 months now and my mood has improved significantly. I'm a lot more active than I used to be (I used to be very lethargic and unmotivated) and I'm also a lot more talkative. Definitely saved my life.

October 16, 2011 5:15 PM
Review by bikeguy637: User Rating:

I'm 29yr, male on Wellbutrin 150mg SR. Initially, had nausea, but it went away after 2 days. I've noticed my sleep has vastly improved. I used to sleep 10 hrs, sometimes more and I still felt like I needed more rest. With Wellbutrin I sleep 7-8hrs and wake up well rested. Additionally, when 2-3pm rolls around I'm not begging for a nap. Concentration is much improved, mood is generally good, and I've lost 10lbs. One warning I can give though is to NOT drink alcohol with Wellbutrin. It's not obvious at first, but the next 3 days it's back to depression, bad depression. Seems like alcohol blocks this medicine out. I can confirm this 2x. Not sure if 3 hrs of drinking is worth the 3 days of depression that follows after.

October 13, 2011 6:36 PM
Review by koleary: User Rating:

This medication has saved my life. I've had a chronic case of major depressive disorder, clinically diagnosed and treated for over 15 years. When I was rudely and suddenly cut off this medication due to financial issues, I became suicidal and was hospitalized after a violent suicide attempt. I had never been suicidal before. I had never before been hospitalized for depression. Today, I'm just grateful to have a better doctor. I'm very happy and proud to have a full year recovered from that horrible, tragic time a year ago when I was denied access to Wellbutrin.

September 29, 2011 8:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks now. I am not sure if it just isn't working or if it is actually making things worse. Crying, sleepless, anxious, restless. Don't know whether I should quit taking it or not. Doctor is on vacation this week, will see him the following week. Was on Effexor for about 3 years. It worked great for me, but somehow I decided I didn't need it anymore, within a month I realized I was wrong. Tried going back on it but it caused horrible side effects.

September 11, 2011 8:55 PM