User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

Review by Ogo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Horrible side effects; irritability, headaches, malaise, did not help me with depression as a result.

September 23, 2012 4:05 PM

Review by Shayney (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I take Welbutrin XR, so it takes a couple to a few weeks to kick in and wear off. I didn't like it very much when I first started because it really didn't feel like anything changed for me. I never felt like I was on medication at all, I just felt normal. But I talked to my doctor about it, and he pretty much explained how that was exactly how it's supposed to be. So ever since then, I've been hopelessly devoted to my Welbutrin XR.

August 28, 2012 1:42 PM

Review by Sjom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bupropion has restored my very far-gone faith in the entire concept of medicine for depression. It's not an acutely noticeable effect, I am not jumping for joy or smiling like an idiot but I am not depressed anymore. I still have kind of a sad life thanks to my mental health problems but I no longer feel like I need to kill myself in the near future, I don't cry, and my anxiety has become less severe. Prior to bupropion I had been on a ridiculously long list of other antidepressant medication (Including but not limited to: Fluoxetine, Citalopram, Venalfaxine, Mirtazapine) and benzodiazapines for anxiety (like, 4 different ones). These did NOTHING. But bupropion did, it's kind of amazing. I recommend it highly.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2012 6:33 PM

Review by quarkster73 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I first took it I thought it was great but after being on it awhile I got terrible headaches and if you ever got angry while on it my blood pressure went real high.

August 4, 2012 6:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on it for less than a week. The first week is supposedly the hardest. I've had a lot of lightheaded effects and a bit of nausea and muscle twitching. The more I give it a chance, the better I feel. I changed it up the last couple days and started doing the 150mg pill in increments, half a pill twice a day. It makes me feel much more balanced. I dont ever remember me having this much self control. It's amazing.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2012 3:43 AM

Review by smw78 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I'm 33 years old. I've been on this medication for 6 years. My mood, temper and life in general are so much better. I went several years with depression that came on with postpartum. In a state of denial about my condition and not wanting to be labeled, I would not seek treatment. I wish I would have done so much sooner. I cannot say enough about Wellbutrin, it has changed my life. I deal with stress, death and everyday life of raising two teenagers now, which I firmly believe I could not have done without it. I have found you can be happy and would encourage people to get the mental help they need because medications like this one are life changing. I can also add side effects have not been an issue for me at all.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2012 2:55 PM

Review by Waldo222 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking the general medication not the brand name for about 3 months now and after a couple of weeks I would be in a good mood and the little things that would annoy me wouldn't anymore. I wanted to do things and not just be home all the time. But recently I have relapsed and went up on my dose from 300mg to 450mg and still feel depressed. I don't know if my body is just tolerating it or what but I hope my depression improves.

July 2, 2012 2:31 AM

Review by sandraflower (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Wellbutrin now for 6 days. I was amazed how wonderful I felt on the first day I took it. I had been on another medicine for 6 months and it never help my depression so my Doc. put me on this one. I feel like a real person again. The only I am having trouble with is chirpping in my ears and foggy head. It is hard to keep my thoughts together sometimes.

June 22, 2012 10:17 PM

Review by gigantor (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on this about a month and titrated my dose slowly. It might've started to improve my depression at first but that didn't seem to last. It also probably increased my anxiety. It caused constipation and upper GI slowness as well that took three weeks to improve. It also caused a pungent feminine odor that lasted the entire as I took it, not just before my period.

June 19, 2012 1:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I have taken this medication for approximately 10 years. I have discontinued use 3 times and my depression resumed each time. I believe many side effects and negative experiences could be avoided if doctors would start patients out with a smaller dose. It has been my experience that when I start with 300mgs I have migraines, nausea, dizziness and itching. I do not have this issue if I start off at 50mgs and gradually increase over 3 months to 300mgs. This medication helps me more than any other and does not make me gain weight. It also seems to slightly help with my adult ADHD, anxiety, OCD, PMS and chronic pain.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 1:25 PM

Review by Moclem (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Wellbutrin after taking Zoloft for several years. The Zoloft was not effective anymore, though it had worked perfectly for a long time. Wellbutrin nearly killed me. I was more upset, anxious, and suicidal than I had been in years. For some reason, it just did not agree with me chemically. Afterward I went on Remeron. That was an experience to read about!

May 24, 2012 1:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I haven't been on this medication for long (3 1/2 weeks) but I can already tell a significant difference, I mean it's really noticeable. I have been depressed for about 5 years. During my college years it got really bad up to a point I started seeking help. First it was the college counselor, then a private counselor, then finally a psychiatrist. I was struggling in school, failing a bunch of classes because I had a terrible time focusing and remembering things. I was sleeping 10 hours a day, something I thought was impossible for a college student and still somehow managed to nap in the afternoons. Since I got on Wellbutrin I have a huge increase in energy, sleep 7-8 hours a day, don't feel the need to nap. I go out, even started jogging.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2012 4:43 PM

I've been taking bupropion for 5 weeks now and I am SO thankful! Teaching high school was becoming almost impossible. Try dealing with a room full of teenagers all day long when you are depressed, have no energy, no motivation and can't think straight. And I'd come home too tired and achy to exercise. I didn't even know how bad it was till I started feeling normal again. Now I can think straight, I have energy, faith in myself and no more muscle aches. And NO side effects. (well one little one- less appetite so I don't bother to cook dinner for myself regularly anymore). I just feel like me again! I am so grateful!

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2012 9:59 PM

I started off on the Wellbutrin 150 mg XL twice a day and I was exhausted everyday, not to mention the nausea was so bad I had to stop taking it. Just started on Wellbutrin immediate release at 100 mg once a day and it is a complete difference. I have so much more energy and focus, so far I love it. I do get a little headache by the end of the day but its not a big deal.

April 29, 2012 8:22 PM

Just started Wellbutrin 1 week ago. Was taking Lexparo 20 mg for about 6 years. About 6 months ago the depression grew in a negative way. I cut back to 10 mg a day.... BAD IDEA for me. Hopelessness, despair, tiredness were just a few of the negative kickbacks. Asked doctor to try Wellbutrin. After one week my appetite is finally, after 47 years, under control. I read that this medicine was good long term; only problem is the loud ringing in ears and this weird feeling in my head. I'm hoping the weird head feeling will go away, but other than that so far so good. Despaired feeling is gone, but I am a little emotional.

April 29, 2012 7:27 PM

Review by serialmom12:

I've been on Wellbutrin for a few years now but I may have to go off of it now due to my job loss. It has really helped my depression and not caused a huge weight gain like Effexor and Zoloft did.

April 15, 2012 12:34 PM

Really bad. I didn't feel better at all just constantly "wired" like I had drank 6 cups of coffee. I couldn't sleep at all.

April 6, 2012 11:40 AM

My son suffered 3 concussions back to back which left him in a zombie like state for several (7) years. He was not sad, per se, just in a state of chronic malaise coupled with chronic fatigue, i.e. not being able to stay awake more then 2 or 3 hours at a time. Finally, we were able to find a Doctor who was familiar with head injuries and the low level of dopamine that the victim is often left with. Wellbutrin is a dopamine and noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor so it is really working great for our son. It was literally like flicking his switch back "on". Anyone who has not felt like their old self after even a minor concussion should consider using this medicine.

April 5, 2012 12:03 PM

I've been taking Wellbutrin for two years for depression. My general mood, concentration, and energy levels are much improved. I have a tendency towards anxiety, but most bad, depressed, or anxious moods last approximately half an hour and then go away. Before I took Wellbutrin, these moods could have lasted days. It slightly decreased my appetite and I've lost ten pounds. Negative side effects have included dry mouth, headaches, and occasional dizziness. Despite these, Wellbutrin has improved my life a lot and I believe that the medicine is more than worth trying.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2012 11:21 PM

I took this medicine for about 6 weeks. I loved the increased energy during the day, the weight loss and decreased desire to smoke! But it didn't do much to improve my mood and PMDD and I had trouble staying asleep at night.

March 20, 2012 12:09 PM

I've been diagnosed and treated 20 years ago for major depression (used Prozac). Last year I was diagnosed again for major depression and doctor suggested I try Wellbutrin so it would not affect my sexual desire and give me some energy. I did well the first few weeks on the starter dose 75mg/day. Then they up to 150mg/day and I had a major emotional reaction. My body went into crying spells for 20 minutes and I couldn't control it. It was a weird thing. Stopped it immediately - took 2 days to wear off.

March 17, 2012 9:08 PM

I have been taking Wellbutrin for a little over 5 weeks now and I have never been so sleepy in my life. I know its supposed to be one of the more stimulating antidepressants but it has the opposite effect on me so Im going to have to discontinue use. My doctor only prescribed it to me to try and counter act a sexual side effect I am having due to Prozac. Anyways, everyone is different but it didnt work for me. Thank you...

March 15, 2012 8:31 PM

I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder in 2003. My Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin 150 mg. The depression and paranoia were still an issue until the dosage was increased to 300mg. I also take Xanax 0.25 mg daily. I have been on these medication to date. I don't like being on any medications because of a feeling of dependency on a substance. When I weigh out the pros and cons I think my quality of life is 100 % better and I can function at a level which seems normal for me. I wasn't able to pass a car on the highway without a panic attack. Since this medicine was introduced to me, I can do everything I use to before my diagnosis of PTSD.

March 15, 2012 8:03 AM

When I first began this medication, it increased my suicidal thoughts but that was expected. After about 2 weeks, I began to feel better. I was more cheerful. After a month of taking the medication, I was completely happy. There are days when it does not work but that is expected. Recently, my dosage was raised from 75mg twice a day to 150 twice a day. My body is still trying to adapt to the recent increase. I am more sensitive to touch. Almost everything tickles. I don't mind it. This is a good medication. I'm a little sad that I have to get off of it in July.

March 12, 2012 3:23 AM

Review by TOBB:

I felt the life was worthless, close to suicidal. I tried different medicines, without any result. The Wellbutrin changed my life. I have been using it for 2 years. In the beginning 150mg made a big change. After some time I used 300mg. Now I have stabilized in a pretty good mood and energy with only "filling up" with Wellbutrin two or three times a week. No side effects. Try it, it is nothing to lose.

March 10, 2012 10:18 AM