User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban (bupropion): "Do not take this drug. My husband took this to help with smoking cessation. During the entire time, he had bad dreams, but during the fifth week he dreamed he was jumping off a boat, jumped off the bed and crashed to the floor, fracturing his left shoulder and badly bruising his left hip. After four days of extensive testing in the hospital, the doctors concluded the "fall" was from Zyban. Terrible terrible pain and very scary."

Anonymous Wife of smoker (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "I wasn't sure if I wanted to quit or not, and the first few days on Zyban weren't great. I was in a horrible mood and was convinced the pills weren't going to do anything. Continued smoking like normal and on the eighth day of taking the meds, I took a few drags and knew it would be my last one. It was like something just clicked in my brain. Have been using zero-nicotine liquid in a vaporizer a few times a day just for the menthol sensation, but other than that I haven't had a cigarette since!"

mrrs2014 May 20, 2015

"Well day one of 150mg of wellbutrin and I do feel tired and out of it. My stomach is kind of not feeling right and I notice the taste of cigarettes are different but I'm still smoking a lot. I take it at night when I woke up I felt great now I feel tired,hopefully my body will adjust by the end of the week"

kristin555 May 13, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "The first week I had some very brief agitation (day 4) that lasted for about 30 minutes. By the end of the first week, my cravings were nearly gone. I am down to only 1 to 3 uses per day, which is a major reduction for me. I plan to be completely done by day 20. No other side effects. Not feeling any nicotine withdrawal symptoms. I plan to use the Wellbutrin full strength for 1-2 weeks after quitting entirely and then begin the taper process. Amazing product."

Jay4444 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2015

"Day 6 for nicotine cessation after using for 20+ years in various forms. Did not have any desire for nicotine upon waking. The "habit" is still there, but no physical craving. The "habit" is easy to stop since your body isn't craving nicotine. Tobacco doesn't really have any taste at this point. I don't seem to crave it....at all. I was agitated for about 30 minutes on day 4, but have not been since. No other noticeable physical signs or symptoms. Taking the bupropion early in the day is important or you may have trouble getting to sleep later in the day. After the final use of nicotine, 72 hours it should be out of my system. I plan to take the buproprion for 1-2 weeks after and start tapering at that time."

Jay4444 May 2, 2015

"I took this for nicotine cessation. At various times, I have used chewing tobacco, snus, nicotine gum/lozenges, and most other alternatives. Over time, these seem to not satisfy my cravings. On day 4 of this, and "magically" I have no physical urges for nicotine in any form. No physical withdrawals of any kind. This is amazing to me, since I was a pretty consistent user of nicotine in some form or another. I have taken to chewing some (regular) gum or eating nuts or licorice or something, which I suspect is for the oral fixation of having something in my mouth. I will work on this. Based on my initial 4 days, I plan to be entirely nicotine free in the next 2 days ( I read it takes 72 hours for it to leave your system entirely). I"

Jay4444 April 30, 2015

"Within a month, I kicked a decades-old habit, with Zyban. Sadly, 7 years ago I started after having quit for 10 years, and my doc is going to get me going on Zyban (Wellbutrin) again within a month. I can't wait!"

Vermontgal April 22, 2015

"I used this drug 15 years ago for situational depression. At the same time, I quit smoking and have not picked up a cigarette since. The freedom which comes from not being depressed or a slave to nicotine is priceless."

Picasso1 April 21, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoking @ 16 for 41 years, had in that time 2 dvt's. Stopped after first day on Zyban, never touched tobacco since. Fabulous product."

Thromboman (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "Absolutely miracle med for smoking cessation! I smoked for 15 yrs (anywhere from 2-4 packs/day). Had the attitude, "if I quit, I quit; if I don't, I don't". Within 10 days I stopped. I did experience a few side-effects that were no big deal (insomnia, funny taste in mouth). I didn't have a "stop-date" just one day I lit a cigarette, took about three drags then put it out. That was 14 yrs ago. Took me about 5 yrs to say I quit - I always said, "I haven't had a cigarette in a while". I still have my 1/2 carton as my trophy ;-)"

Anonymous April 17, 2015

"Today I was looking up the side effects of Bupropion HCL 150mg. two a day. I have been taking this for depression & have found it working. I have the ability now to diet & exercize & I want to interact more. So, as I am reading the side effects I notice that its also used to stop smoking. I didn't know this. I have smoked for 30 yrs aprox & thought I had just stopped smoking for no reason & without even trying. I wondered why I had almost no interest in cigarettes any more, some days even forgetting to have a cigarette! If I do smoke it's just 1 or 2 in the evening & not every day and the feeling I have is not at all a craving. It's more like I will myself to have a smoke because it's what I do (habit), but I don't need one & hardly even want it!"

Pauli T April 16, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "Only day 2 of Zyban. But cigarettes taste like garbage truck juice and I have high hopes that I can quit. Will update when more time passes"

Huff n puff (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "Fantastic after smoking for over 20 years and 2 packages a day I took Zyban. No side effects. On the 5th day I stop...15 years ago. I follow the directions, clean my house, my clothes, my car,..took the medicine for 3 months. I picked up the day to stop smoking. I do recommend Zyban 100%."

Serret April 4, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "Before the first week was up and before I even increased my dosage, I went from smoking almost 2 packs a day to less than 5. When I tried to avoid smoking altogether right away, I had very bad headaches and a little achy. I think it does help to taper down some so your body can adjust to the change of nicotine levels. I have tried many times and many methods to quit smoking. Zyban is by far the best."

longtimesmoker (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

"The first time I was prescribed Wellbutrin for smoking cessation it worked miraculously the FIRST DAY. Weird, I know. Zero cravings. Blissfully cigarette free for 18 months. A friend offered me her e-cigarette and I honestly thought they were water vapor only. The next day I bought a pack and had "one", then off to the races. Tried to stop with Wellbutrin again and no real result so I am more addicted than ever and so disappointed in myself. After reading these experiences I feel I owe it to myself to try again. A state-sponsored program is sending me free patches and gum for 14 days. Wish me luck."

doifhsdfb February 8, 2015

"I originally got it prescribed for depression. My doctor very casually mentioned that it would also help me quit smoking. I didn't think much of it except, "Yeah right... As long as it cures my depression." After 3 days of taking it, I didn't smoke a cigarette from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm (I usually smoked every 1 or 2 hours). By then, I realized that I hadn't smoked the whole time. I had completely forgotten that the medicine also reduced cigarette cravings. On the fourth day, I was only smoking 1/4 of what I usually did, and after I week I quit altogether."

Night_Owl February 6, 2015

"I used Wellbutrin for a "practice quit" about 9 months before the big day to amass a strategy to stop smoking. At first, I didn't think it was doing anything. About two weeks into it, I was stuck in a meeting with no opportunity to smoke, and didn't notice the urge until the meeting was over. That was it. I knew that this would be a key component in my effort to kick the habit. As of New Year's Day I've been smoke-free, and I feel fine, and have avoided the depressive side effects of not smoking. Cravings are easily dealt with and pass quickly. I feel confident that my life as a nonsmoker will be pure liberation, thanks to Wellbutrin's mood elevating effects. Best of all, I still feel like ME!"

Boomdoggle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2015

"I never write reviews but this medicine has worked so well for me. I've been on it since January 2nd and have cut down smoking by more than 3/4. Yesterday I only had 2-3 cigarettes and they weren't even completely smoked. It's weird because you still think of having a smoke now and then but have little desire to actually go have one. Each day gets better and you have less and less desire to actually smoke even if you think about it from time to time. No side effects. Would pay 10x more if I had too for this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "Quit date 3 days away, after a month on Zyban, cigarettes taste bad, and aren't satisfying at all. Have reduced by half, without even starting with the nicotine replacement lozenges and gum. Was taking Lexapro for anxiety, stopped and switched to Zyban as my anti-anxiety and smoking cessation."

globalarizona (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2014

"Started bupropion and set my stop date for 1 week later (as instructed you should quit at one week after beginning medicine or during the second week for sure). Anyway, started it and set stop date for 1 week later; quit on day 6 of first week. Taking this medicine blocks the ability to get that feeling you get when you smoke. Absolutely nothing happens, and the cigarettes tastes terrible. I bought myself one of those e-cigs and take a puff here and there. Also, I found I still have intense cravings so I added the patch which the combination works phenomenally for me. I bought the e-cig because my plan was to take a puff or 2 off of it if I start to snap; but you don't get a buzz off the e-cig either; however, it does satisfy that smoking behavior."

Chermassey (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2014

Zyban (bupropion): "Started smoking at 13, up to 2 1/2 pack a day. Wife also smoked, up to 2 packs a day. We both started Zyban at the same time. Took meds and smoked for a week, stopped the smoking, then a week later, stopped the meds. Haven't regretted doing it. Although I don't feel a whole lot better, still huff and puff at the top of the stairs, gained about 25 pounds, but I know we are both better for having quit. Recommend to anyone who really wants to quit."

Carl F December 9, 2014

Zyban (bupropion): "Tried quitting cold turkey and was so grumpy had to decide between quitting or my marriage, chose marriage. Tried Zyban, quit after 10 days, been a month and have not had any sign of grumpiness, withdrawl or anxiety. I call them my magic pills"

JeffFlag (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "Nice"

KLINGLER October 27, 2014

Zyban (bupropion): "I'm 21 years old and I used to smoke 25 a day for 3 years. When I first started taking Zyban I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to quit or keep smoking but I thought why not try! For the first 8-10 days my morning dose made very nauseous and feel like I was either going to vomit or faint but I never did. since I set my quit date with zyban I have never touched a cigarette since and it has been 6 months now. the only caution I would like to share is that it only takes away the cravings ! You still have to say no too having a cigarette."

Winfield blue 25s (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"If you are having trouble sleeping make sure you take it early in the morning. It gives me a slight energy boost. If you take it twice a day ask your doctor for a bigger dosage for once a day in the morning. I take 300 mg XL when I wake up and it is fabulous. . Good luck. I suffer depression so I have taken it for a long time with no relapse."

Lizzrrd (taken for 10 years or more) August 28, 2014