User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by debsza (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): I have been taking it for 1 week...I get headaches and agitation, abit dizzy. I was debating wheather to stop taking it...but I will try a few more days. Will this go away as I continue!!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by R3 (taken for less than 1 month):

Started 5 days before my quit date, today is my 23rd day smoke free. First week I did experience a spaced out feeling at times and increased desire to stay busy- that has leveled off and I feel completely normal. Cravings tough during 1st week, but staying busy helped. Woke up several times in the night but fell right back to sleep- I take 150mg twice a day...first at 5 am second 8 hrs later, never had a hard time falling asleep. Constipation still an issue and hoping that eases. No decrease or difference in appetite/weight. Cravings now maybe 2 per day and don't last long. Would recommend, but you must want to quit.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by tiredgrandma (taken for less than 1 month):

New Dr. recommended bupropion to stop smoking. Been smoking 40 years. Tried Chantix over a year ago. Was successful for a 3 week period. Got stressed at work and said I'll just have one. Family member told me I was getting nasty with people. So went off the Chantix. Bupropion now on day 6. Have bad insomnia. Getting 2 hrs sleep now. Maybe its supposed to take a while on the cravings for cigarettes. Love the energy of the bupropion now.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by TeeLee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion): I smoked from age 15 to 50, up to 3 packs a day. I quit many times and suffered greatly. Plan 2: Decrease number of cigarettes a day, then quit. I decreased to 10-12 a day for about 10 months. Started Zyban and quit 7 days later. Went to Las Vegas of all places and all the smoking didn't tempt me. I am now 66 and haven't had a smoke since.

February 8, 2014 2:25 PM

Review by Berum1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Part 1: I am a fifty year old woman and I have had weight problems my whole life. I cannot take diet pills as they make me very sick and I've tried many other things to try to lose weight (I'm not very good at this as I LOVE food and hate exercise). Until recently I have never been able to find anything that could help me. So I have been overweight for most of my life. In 2011 I was taking Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking. While on the medication I lost a pretty good amount of weight. I thought at that time it was because I was trying to eat better (again, I'm not very good at this as I LOVE food and hate exercise). Once I quit smoking and stopped taking Wellbutrin I gained all my weight (plus more) back.

November 22, 2013 7:55 AM

Review by greenteagirl (taken for less than 1 month):

I was a 12 a day smoker for about 20 years. I'm on the third week taking this medicine and I've cut down to 2 cigs a day. I like the energy it gives me, but the food cravings are wild, although I have not gained weight. The first couple of days I felt nausea. The constipation is not great, but I've been taking fiber supplements. I don't feel my usual happy spunky self though. I want to completely stop smoking and get off these meds soon. Cross my fingers!

November 7, 2013 12:35 PM

Review by vikvik (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): Zyban is amazing! Istarted taking Zyban 18 days ago, though it took me longer than what it said it take to quit, I finally quit 4 days ago, and I feel great. I tried Champix and had a bad reaction to it, the patches the same. I also have quit cold turkey. But with Zyban, there is no urge, or cravings. The only time I think about having a cigarette is when I have idle time, but I have found ways to keep myself buusy doing other things. Thanks to Zyban- it's a great medication that really works!

October 26, 2013 1:23 AM

Review by lizjam (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking bupropion 150mg once a day 35 days ago but after 20 days, had to pause my treatment because of a possible allergy. Started again 10 days ago after speaking to my doctor and no allergy this time around. I do get a few side effects like dizziness and itching but the doctor says it's okay. I noticed that yesterday I only smoked 7 cigarettes and today, so far 1. I didn't crave it when I woke up and forgot to smoke completely for a good 4 hours. I'm planning to quit tomorrow. It's taken a bit longer because I'm only taking 150mg once a day but I now feel ready to quit and not at all anxious about it.

September 6, 2013 9:06 AM

Review by bronxlady (taken for less than 1 month):

I recommend bupropion to anyone who is trying to quit smoking. I have been a pack, 2 packs a day smoker for over 30 years ...could never quit on my own. After only 1 week of taking this medicine the urge to smoke is gone and no withdrawals. Amazing medication.

August 14, 2013 12:54 PM

Review by Yelena Tret (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): After 25 years of heavy smoking I quit in five days! (Though I enjoyed smoking so much!) This happened 13 years ago. Since then - no cravings. My husband followed my example: the same result seven days later.

August 9, 2013 10:45 AM

Review by Kris (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Wellbutrin SR for the cessation of smoking. I had been smoking for 12 years. My doctor put me on 150mg 2x a day. Within the first 2 days, the satisfaction and enjoyment of smoking was gone. I would light up and take a couple of drags, but end up putting it out. It was no longer enjoyable. This works!! It also helps with decreasing my appetite. I am just now trying to find something to get that satisfied feeling that I had from smoking. I did notice some sleep disturbances for the first week of taking the meds, but now its better. I also noticed some weird thoughts in the first week. But I feel much better now and have no desire to smoke.

May 5, 2013 10:50 AM

Review by Robwarhog3:

Buproban (bupropion): But I experienced dry mouth and a ringing in my ears.

March 27, 2013 3:02 PM

Review by Tootin Moose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion): Zyban did it for me. Tried Chantix for a year and patches, too.

February 2, 2013 11:01 PM

Review by JoZep:

Zyban (bupropion): I've been smoke free for one and a half months and I largely credit Zyban for this. I am 40 years old, 15 a day smoker for 25 years. I have tried to stop smoking a few times over the past decade, but I end up very agitated and depressed, so resorted to cigarettes again, previously I have tried patches, lozenges as well as Champix which worked for the duration I was on it, but gave me terrible nausea. This time has been quite easy, I credit Zyban for this. The first few days of taking Zyban were pretty tough mentally the first week; I felt spaced out, trippy, and also suffered a bit of insomnia, slightly blurred vision when reading, and teeth grinding. However, these all dissipated, the only effect I have now is minor dry mouth.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2013 7:51 AM

Bupropion is a miracle! I still had some cravings, a little irritability, a few depressing nightmares- but I quit! I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for a decade. I have not had a cigarette in over a month, and live with people that smoke in the house. No patches, no gimmicks, just plugging through it with bupropion. I would recommend giving this a go to anyone.

November 2, 2012 2:31 AM

The first week has been a nightmare. The side effects are intense and I am only on day 5 (insomnia, agitation, rash). But I can say I went from 1 pack a day for 10 years, to just 4 cigarettes a day. I am only taking 150mg 2x's a day.

August 6, 2012 6:11 PM

Took this medication to aid in an effort to stop smoking. Stopped taking it after 4 days due to excessive side effects; headache, nausea, insomnia, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, constipation, indigestion.

June 15, 2012 8:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on day 3, been smoking less (about half of what I normally do). Cigarettes taste different, but I am still craving them, just less often so far. I feel jittery after taking, can't take too close to bed or have to take Benadryl to help me sleep. Have had a few headaches and feel like I am eating slightly more than usual. I did drink with it and did not notice any adverse side effects from it, although I haven't wanted to drink as much as I usually do.

April 30, 2012 12:10 AM

Review by Argonath:

Zyban (bupropion): The Great British health service paid for my 12 week course. I smoked 30 a day and tried a number of various methods to quit; nicotine patches, cold turkey, acupuncture, Chinese medicine and even hypnosis, all with varying degrees of success yet none with any long term success. After the first couple of days taking Zyban, I realized I was reaching out less and less for a cigarette and when I did, I light up, I could not experience that nicotine 'hit'. I was 'cured' after 9 weeks but continued with the full 12 weeks course. Side effects....I gained a few pounds in weight. My quit date was 22nd February 2002.

April 13, 2012 3:58 PM

I originally was interested in bupropion for the weight loss effect it can have, but (for whatever the reason) told my doctor the reason was because I wanted to quit smoking. I did quit smoking for about a week, then started again, but cut the amount of cigarettes a day in half. The weight loss didn't happen for me, however I didn't gain any as I've seen that some people do gain on anti-depressants. I take the generic bupropion SR 150mg twice daily, and it has totally improved my ability to focus and get annoying chores - or whatever it is - done! I LOVE IT! It also increased sex drive from when I started taking through the 2nd month. This is my 3rd month and that has tapered down, which is good because I was wearing my husband out!

April 8, 2012 6:24 PM

Zyban (bupropion): Zyban is a very strange feeling. I have been on it for three days and my urges are way down. I still fight triggers like coffee and post eating but even when I tried to smoke it tasted very strange and made me feel a little dizzy. Well see how the next couple of weeks go but I'm excited to quit! Only drawback is it is really hard to fall asleep.

April 6, 2012 2:18 AM

Zyban (bupropion): Within the first 24 hours of taking Zyban my mood dropped. I persevered with it and by day 11 I had thoughts of self harm. My GP stopped my treatment and put it down as an adverse reaction.

March 5, 2012 6:59 PM

Review by Cancer stick:

Zyban (bupropion): A heavy smoker from early years. Stopped twice five years at a time but still capitulated to it. Took Zyban - didn't complete the course, as didn't need to! Haven't smoked for twelve years -thanks Zyban. I smoked forty a day, and my wife twenty! At today's prices that relates to around $18000 annually out of one's tax paid income - ?? You bet. The down side? Believe me it's all thanks to Zyban.

January 31, 2012 1:42 AM

Zyban (bupropion): Smoked for 40+ years. Tried all the patches, vitamin B shots, hypnosis all of which did not work. Took Zyban as soon as it was available by prescription and both my wife and myself quite smoking in less than a week. Final smoke was on September 1998.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2012 8:27 PM

Review by KJ Alaska:

Zyban (bupropion): I was a two pack a day smoker for over 10 years. I took Zyban and put on the patch. I was done smoking with no withdrawal symptoms in a month. To this day no cigarettes since '97.

January 4, 2012 2:17 AM