User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban (bupropion): "Day 1 a bit of feeling "doped up." Day 2 OK; nothing significant. Day 3 the nausea started. Ciggies tasted horrible but even worse than that, just the thought of food and I all but headed to the john to throw up. This was the three day one pill a day phase. Side effects of Chantix (including nausea) were not as severe as this. I'm still waiting to see if after 24 hours that last dose will finally wear off. Cold turkey, bad as it can be, is way better."

XSmokerColdTurkey January 16, 2016

"I started taking this 9 days ago. The first few days was ok, I was kinda snappy, but ok. After day 7 I stopped smoking, didn't find it hard to quit, but did have the worst panic attack while driving home, and called my husband and cried for the next 25 minutes. The next day I was ok, but today I was on my way to work. I was 5 mins down the road from my house and turned around. I had to call out of work. I cried and had a huge panic attack. It happened all throughout the day. Called the Dr. She said to stop taking it. It's OK for quitting smoking for me, but the side affects are not worth it (aside from the sex)."

Viciousval (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"Unbelievable...Started new years eve and have no cravings at all, highly recommended......But you really have to want to stop smoking..."

Anonymous January 4, 2016

"I took Wellbutrin several years ago and after about two-three weeks one day I noticed it had been 6 hours since I had even thought of a smoke. I get down to about 2 cigs a day (usually one in the am and one after dinner) so I thought well 1or two a day isn't going to hurt me but it doesn't work that way you gradually go back to the old habits. My advise is that moment when you get to the point, put them down right then. Don't be fooled it will come back if you don't stop then. So, I went back to my 2 pack a day habit and my Mother recently died from lung cancer (also a smoker). I have gotten back on the wellbutrin as of yesterday and hope it works as well for me this time."

Sam's Scarlet January 4, 2016

"I have been on Wellbutrin for almost a week..... Obviously all medications come with risk of side effects, but having chronic bronchitis and smoking a pack a day figured the benefit out weighed the risks. Since starting this med I am itchy, emotional, dry mouth when I sleep I sleep well, but only about 4 or 5 hours. The emotional thing is intolerable! I want to cry about the most random things, my thoughts automatically go to worst case scenario. Is this at all normal and please tell me it wears off? Or should I call my Dr. and try something else for smoking cessation?"

Blondie6969 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "I used Zyban to quit smoking in 1999. To me, it was a miracle drug. I had smoked 1-1.5 packs/day for 33 years! What it does is change your brain chemistry to like you never smoked; consequently, you don't have any inclination to even want a cigarette! I have never smoked since nor had any desire to. If I had kept smoking, I probably wouldn't be alive to have my 72nd birthday next October (2015)."

IvyJo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

"1st day, I'm excited, praying this works, I have been wanting to quit smoking cigarettes for sooooo long, the worst addiction i have ever fought. I have had many BAD addictions that I was able to overcome with God's help of course. Sometimes I believe even God has to use medications with some people who are more difficult...like me...!"

jazzyandkane December 4, 2015

"I'm one of those people that thought I'd never quit smoking. 20 yrs. My doctor put me on nicotine patches, which I used in both of my previous attempts, but added Bupropion 150mg 2x/day. The 1st wk contained the most side effects for me. I became almost manic. If my body wasn't moving, my mind was racing. This actually did not bother me. I channeled the energy into constructive projects around the house. I did struggle with the habit itself mentally but had no cravings, even around smokers. Just had to figure out what people DO if they don't smoke! Had some dizziness here and there, but nothing that would make me stumble or need to sit. Fleeting. My libido actually increased. I lost weight (another bonus). Miracle pill for me!"

Maggiedecatt (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

"It works wonderfully almost unbelievably well for cigarette cravings. It did nothing for ADD and depression"

chrisccc (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

"Been smoking for 45 years !! About a half pack or sometimes more a day. Started bupropion to quit. Had to take it about 3 weeks before it kicked in but almost overnight one day I had no desire to smoke. It felt like a miracle. No bad side effects. I have been smoke free for a month now and my husband still smokes so I am around it all the time. Still have no desire. Maybe not for everyone but certainly worth a try.And much cheaper than Chantix."

four24 November 13, 2015

"My parents had lived near me my whole life and moved away with my siblings and grandparents for my mom's new job. Since I am still in school and just bought a home, relocation was not an option for me. This combined with my love for cigarettes led my doc to prescribe wellbutrin. For smoking cessation, it was awesome. Once starting the med, I had no desire to smoke whatsoever. It helped with my depression quite a bit and I no longer had to take naps to stay awake during the day. Did start getting the worst headaches in the back of my head after 2 mos. Also I don't like the alcohol restriction. Switched to effexor."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2015

"Been smoking for 23 yrs, I loved my cigs & never really wanted to quit till now as I have heart complications. I have been on this med for 1 solid week two a day. I woke up this morning tried to have a cig but my mouth tasted nasty made me feel as if I didn't want to smoke. So I bought gum instead =) I am hoping after the weekend I will totally be done!"

mandabell October 22, 2015

"I have been taking Bupropion for 5 weeks to help me to stop smoking. I have had insomnia a couple of times but overall no other side effects. I have noticed cigarettes are starting to taste nasty and I've cut down A LOT. I'm going to continue until I stop completely. Hope this help someone else good luck"

LEOLADY86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "In my first week of zyban Need to give up as I smoke a pack a day Feeling nauseous, last night had a severe headache and woke up thinking I could levitate and fly after having the weirdest out there dream - it really felt believable. Anyway going to continue and pray it works, will report back at a later date."

Flowergirl45 October 11, 2015

"Where are my taste buds? Everything tastes like nothing and cigarettes are unappreciated totally. I was forced to quit in my 3 day hospital visit came out 2 weeks later got prescription and patches to quit. Other than everything tasting like bitter nothing I can understand why this actually works. Good luck to all"

Todb October 7, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "I was prescribed Zyban by my physician to aid in quitting smoking. I was super excited to get it because I would finally get the help I needed to kick the habit for good. I read some awesome reviews and was confident this would be it. I was instructed to take one a day for the first few days and then begin taking one twice a day. I felt ok at first but once I started taking two a day I began to experience side effects. Headaches, waking up feeling hungover, extreme nausea, confusion and fogginess, muscle tenderness and definite weakness... almost as if my brain was telling me I couldn't move if I tried and I became literally too lazy to try. I was super disappointed, it just wasn't for me. "

KMDM (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2015

"I've been on this for 17 days it hasn't helped at all with the smoking yet."

Darby8787 September 30, 2015

"The nicotine cravings subsided significantly in just a few days. However I experienced extreme side effects. Nausea, confusion, blurred vision, anxiety attacks, excitability, forgetting what i'm saying mid sentence, constant overall discomfort, shaking, and trouble communicating with people. I'm on day 7 and i'm stilling my 2 month treatment. The fact that is affecting my brain chemistry this much does not sit well with me. They say eventually the side effects will go away but if it's affecting me this negatively now, i'm scared to find out what would happen after 2 months."

10846 September 21, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "17 years of no smoking in October thanks to zyban. I started taking the pill snd stopped smoking and then I started forgetting to take the pill so I quit that too. I didn't even make it through the first month supply. Zyban works if you follow the directions and get involved. I don't smoke and no I don't have a light."

leviwillis September 4, 2015

"So far I love bupropion SR. Been on it for 3 weeks. I tried lexapro for social anxiety I hated it. I was confused and out of it for a week. So I went on buproion SR 150 x 2 a day. Not for anxiety but Dr. Thought depression and smoking. First 2 weeks I hated smoking and it tasted nasty. Now on week 3 I got used to the taste but don't crave the cigarette.... probably just habits I need to work on. The most interesting I guess side effects is my libido which has increased!!! I guess it's a good thing. Until your husband don't want too!!"

Jmay20005 August 26, 2015

"I started on bupropion on a Friday and by the next Tuesday totally quit. Did nicotine patches for 3 days then just totally quit. Been smoke free for 22 days now."

Jessi53916 August 25, 2015

"I was a 1 pack per day smoker. I've tried many ways to quit, and failed every single time. Meanwhile, I had started to exercise and found I had very minimal lung capacity. My muscles were still fired up but was short of breath so I never could stay on the treadmill longer than 20 minutes. I started taking wellbutrin, as a last effort to try quitting, with very little faith that it would even work. By the second week, I was really only smoking out of habit. By the third week, even the thought of it disgusted me!!! I'm a little over a month smoke free now!"

leizel (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "1to 3 packs a day for past 5 years. On the third day talking zyban I took 3 drags and throw away cigarette. That was my last one. I can't look at cigarettes. Last pack is still on my countertop. Zyban is the best"

Bucek July 31, 2015

"A friend gave me the pills he had left over. He said after a week he didn't need them or cigs anymore. And I desperately wanted to stop. My son would tell me,"Daddy I don't want you to die". That struck me to the core,he's only 6. It's funny because I was the same age when I told my father the same thing, And he stopped. So I went to my Dr and got a prescription. These pills do work! After about the 3rd or 4th day, I noticed my cravings completely diminished. I was still smoking out of habit, but didn't really want or need one. I went a whole week before I had a smoke, and I really hated myself. Like other poster's here stated, they tasted horrible and I wouldn'd have more than a few puffs. That made it worse..why am I smoking?"

Mr. Nobody (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

Zyban (bupropion): "I smoked for 8 years anywhere from half a pack to a pack a day, I started Zyban, gave myself 1 week to tapered down then stopped smoking completely. I looked into many options and decided to try Zyban as it appeared to have less severe side effects. I wasn't even sure I wanted to quit smoking and definitely thought I would struggle and just keep going back to the excuse "well I tried". I took the medication for 12 weeks as advised by my doctor and have been smoke free ever since. I know some people have side effects but don't let that put you off, everybody reacts differently to medication so why not try it, as a smoker what do you have to lose. I am so happy with the results I have achieved and would recommend this to anyone."

Ex Smoker (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015