User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

"I'm only on day 2 of taking bupropion SR, 150 mg. I have not really notice any side effects so far I also take velaxafin for severe anxiety. Just wondering how long does it take effect on helping with quitting smoking? My doctor first put me on bupropion xl 150mg but it did absolutely nothing so now trying bupropion SR..anyone try this and has it helped with the quitting smoking?"

Traywhit (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

"Smoking since last 20 years. Initially I tried to quit smoking in 2008 with Chantix. But had worse experience in second week of medication. Since then I was hesitating to request my doctor to prescribe me... Finally last week again I made my decision to start taking medication.. This time with Bupropion HCL... I used to smoke a pack everyday..This is my second week and I already cut down to 1/4 of my pack....hopefully 3rd will be more positive.... Thank you all for sharing your reviews..."

Jeff2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I smoked for thirty years. I thought I'd die with a cigarette in my mouth. If tried everything and I still went back to smoking. Zyban was my last chance. I smoked at first and started to taper off. If there were side effects I don't really remember them. It took three weeks before I had the guts to not smoke. I list the cravings rather quicker than I thought possible. I haven't smoked for 12 years now. I still can't believe I'm a non smoker. Even at the worst time in my life I still never felt like a cigarette. I can honestly say I'm not a reformed smoker. I truly a non smoker."

Michelle G April 7, 2016

"Bupropion sr help me to quite tobbaco. within 10 days. now 2 years are completed with smoking. thanks !"

p shah (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "When I first took Zyban, I was confident it wouldn't work. I smoked much more than I used to during the first week, and then suddenly I couldn't smoke at all. After 3 months on Zyban, I have been extremely happy that I finally beat this addiction. I'm no longer taking the medication and do feel like I want a drag or two. All in all, I would say it is a miracle drug...no matter what people tell you, it IS worth it. Be sure to follow what your doctor tells you, it's plain and simple: 2 tablets per day for 9-12 weeks and you will never ever smoke, if that is really what you want. I hope it helps everyone the same way it helped me."

MK7 April 5, 2016

"i was given bupropion by my g.p. to quit smoking and for anxiety and stress. i did the 150mg a day for 1 week and was fine,but after the first week it was time to double the daily dose to 350mg it was bad i could`nt control my thoughts or stop fixating on a task i was`nt myself at all.i went back to 150mg and after a week i just stopped smoking i knew that last one would be it and its been going on 4 months and i have`nt smoked you have to want to quit. or never want to go through the hell of those pills again.give it a chance and stick with it.its hard but it worked 20+ years and i really feel better i don`t even think about it anymore even when people smoke beside me i just don`t feel the need anymore,its really amazing"

anonymousmike (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "In my 3rd week of taking Zyban. I smoked as usual for the 1st 2 weeks 1 pack a day. Slowly I started smoking less frequently and only half a cigarette at a time. I am now not smoking at all and more importantly I dont even think about smoking. I have trouble falling asleep at night....but so far thats the only side effect I am experiencing. I am finally on the road to being a non smoker for the 1st time in 24 years."

3 week taking Zyban. March 31, 2016

"I was a smoker for 35 years, I took 150 mg of Bupropion for 3 days and 300 mg for 2 more and decided to quit on day 5. It still took effort on my part but the Bupropion was extremely helpful with the withdrawals. I am now on day 35 and I continue to be a nonsmoker. I have had a few side effects such as slight insomnia and night sweats. Interestingly if you review nicotine withdrawal side effects, they are similar. I have been in a good mood since taking this medication. My doctor plans to keep me on this for the next 3 months to insure all of the nicotine is out of my system. Overall - Very positive experience."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

"Didn't like it, but it did work. I felt like it brought out the worst in me. I got mad pretty easy, and had some weird thoughts. Deep thoughts that I would not normally think of. I took bupropion for 11 days and just could not keep feeling like I was and quit it. I guess you have to give up something to quit and I gave my mind for a little."

N8 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "This pill is amazing ,I really think its the magic pill ,I'm smoke free now ,thanks zyban"

Anonymous February 28, 2016

"I'm currently on day 6 of not smoking. Day 3 was the worst day of all but I stayed busy and worked through it. Quitting smoking isn't easy. I tried everything on my own and almost quit trying until my doctor gave me the Bupropion. Bupropion has helped tremendously but I still went through withdrawals and I still had to apply the effort to want to quit and do my part to say no to the cravings, and i have to work through the emotional side of day 3 and finding new things to do with my free time. Once you make it past day 3 everyday gets easier and easier. You just have to be determined you want to quit then work to achieve your goal."

Determined ;) (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

"I've smoked from age 17 to 33. I've tried the gum, cold turkey, exercising and eating right to stop the cravings. After a friend told me about her experience I had to try it myself. I've been on welbutrin for 10 days and I feel amazing! I've had mild side effects such as insomnia the first 3 days and a few weird dreams...but after the 5 day I felt like a new person. I have no craving to smoke and my anxiety level to smoke during a stressful situation is tolerable. I recommend this to those who need help with quitting smoking."

Hubeljess February 20, 2016

"Just started on Buproprion. On day 2 with no side effects. Still smoking but this morning waking up I didn't rush outside to smoke. We will see how it goes."

JasonExAlmost (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "After trying many things, such as chewing gum, patches, hypnosis etc., to stop smoking, I took zyban in June 2000. Before the end of the course I had stopped craving cigarettes and became a non-smoker. It took 9 days and I had no side effects at all. It was the best thing I'd ever done."

Sunderland Lady February 14, 2016

"Day 1 was ok but day 2 started feeling panicked and racing with panic attack and day 3 I put the pieces together with even worse panic attacks .... I gotta quit taking this now today! I have no desire or craving at all for a cigarette but the freakishly scary panic attacks, especially when leaving my home are not worth it.....got to go cold turkey from here on out!"

35 yrs of smoking 3 days zyban February 12, 2016

"I have been taking this med almost for 2 weeks. I was extremely skeptical, because of everything I have read and heard of this med. I have been smoking since I was around 18yr., I'm now 30. Anyways, the first 3 days were rocky and I almost quit taking, but realized it was just my body adjusting. It has had a positive affect, no adverse side effects, just mild like: dry mouth and tired. I don't recommend for someone who has severe depression or other psychological issues that could cause adverse effects. I take 150mg 2x a day. I do not use any other nicotine replacements. I do not go to therapy. Lastly I haven't had a cigarette in 3 days."

JM1108 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

"I'm an all or nothing kind of girl so when I decided to quit smoking I wasn't going to cut down, I wanted to quit cold turkey so I went to my doctor for some advice. She prescribed me 300mg of bupropion and advised me to use nicotine replacement. I have used nicotine replacement in the past which made me very ill and vomit so I did not follow her advise on that part. So I started with 150mg like she said to and worked my way up to 300mg but it felt like too much for me. I am a very petite woman so I decided to stay at 150mg. While I was taking the 300mg I was very warm, sweaty and I felt anxious. At 150mg I no longer had the sweating and anxiety but I did feel warmer than normal. It was worth it though because I am now an ex-smoker!"

bthroop (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "December 1999. Boxing Day. Already signed up for zyban course with group meetings for 1/1/2000. Started course and never smoked since....or wished to. Truly amazing and immediate. Didn't even have to complete course, it was that good. Always smoked socially from 18 to 44. A true life saver with no side effects. You must attend class /discussions..it's a mental commitment that's essential to success and really works. Don't hear too much about it these days but go for it!"

Steve/UK February 3, 2016

"After only a 5 days I got terrible taste in my mouth when I light a cigarette! I was so suprised,didn't believe it. The 6th day I didn't even think about smoking, and I wanted to but it didn't work with me. And yes I don't smoke anymore"

00000000000aaaaaaaaaa January 27, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "Day 1 a bit of feeling "doped up." Day 2 OK; nothing significant. Day 3 the nausea started. Ciggies tasted horrible but even worse than that, just the thought of food and I all but headed to the john to throw up. This was the three day one pill a day phase. Side effects of Chantix (including nausea) were not as severe as this. I'm still waiting to see if after 24 hours that last dose will finally wear off. Cold turkey, bad as it can be, is way better."

XSmokerColdTurkey January 16, 2016

"I started taking this 9 days ago. The first few days was ok, I was kinda snappy, but ok. After day 7 I stopped smoking, didn't find it hard to quit, but did have the worst panic attack while driving home, and called my husband and cried for the next 25 minutes. The next day I was ok, but today I was on my way to work. I was 5 mins down the road from my house and turned around. I had to call out of work. I cried and had a huge panic attack. It happened all throughout the day. Called the Dr. She said to stop taking it. It's OK for quitting smoking for me, but the side affects are not worth it (aside from the sex)."

Viciousval (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I used zyban to quit smoking and after 2 weeks I no longer had the urge to smoke. I've been smoke free for over 23 years. I don't understand why it's not on the market to help people stop smoking. I smoked over 40 years and 2-3 packs a day"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

"Unbelievable...Started new years eve and have no cravings at all, highly recommended......But you really have to want to stop smoking..."

Anonymous January 4, 2016

"I took Wellbutrin several years ago and after about two-three weeks one day I noticed it had been 6 hours since I had even thought of a smoke. I get down to about 2 cigs a day (usually one in the am and one after dinner) so I thought well 1or two a day isn't going to hurt me but it doesn't work that way you gradually go back to the old habits. My advise is that moment when you get to the point, put them down right then. Don't be fooled it will come back if you don't stop then. So, I went back to my 2 pack a day habit and my Mother recently died from lung cancer (also a smoker). I have gotten back on the wellbutrin as of yesterday and hope it works as well for me this time."

Sam's Scarlet January 4, 2016

"I have been on Wellbutrin for almost a week..... Obviously all medications come with risk of side effects, but having chronic bronchitis and smoking a pack a day figured the benefit out weighed the risks. Since starting this med I am itchy, emotional, dry mouth when I sleep I sleep well, but only about 4 or 5 hours. The emotional thing is intolerable! I want to cry about the most random things, my thoughts automatically go to worst case scenario. Is this at all normal and please tell me it wears off? Or should I call my Dr. and try something else for smoking cessation?"

Blondie6969 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015