Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by Thromboman (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): Smoking @ 16 for 41 years, had in that time 2 dvt's. Stopped after first day on Zyban, never touched tobacco since. Fabulous product.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2015 7:38 AM

Zyban (bupropion): Absolutely miracle med for smoking cessation! I smoked for 15 yrs (anywhere from 2-4 packs/day). Had the attitude, "if I quit, I quit; if I don't, I don't". Within 10 days I stopped. I did experience a few side-effects that were no big deal (insomnia, funny taste in mouth). I didn't have a "stop-date" just one day I lit a cigarette, took about three drags then put it out. That was 14 yrs ago. Took me about 5 yrs to say I quit - I always said, "I haven't had a cigarette in a while". I still have my 1/2 carton as my trophy ;-)

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2015 3:26 PM

Review by Pauli T:

Today I was looking up the side effects of Bupropion HCL 150mg. two a day. I have been taking this for depression & have found it working. I have the ability now to diet & exercize & I want to interact more. So, as I am reading the side effects I notice that its also used to stop smoking. I didn't know this. I have smoked for 30 yrs aprox & thought I had just stopped smoking for no reason & without even trying. I wondered why I had almost no interest in cigarettes any more, some days even forgetting to have a cigarette! If I do smoke it's just 1 or 2 in the evening & not every day and the feeling I have is not at all a craving. It's more like I will myself to have a smoke because it's what I do (habit), but I don't need one & hardly even want it!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 8:53 AM

Review by Huff n puff (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): Only day 2 of Zyban. But cigarettes taste like garbage truck juice and I have high hopes that I can quit. Will update when more time passes

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 5:28 PM

Review by Serret:

Zyban (bupropion): Fantastic after smoking for over 20 years and 2 packages a day I took Zyban. No side effects. On the 5th day I stop...15 years ago. I follow the directions, clean my house, my clothes, my car,..took the medicine for 3 months. I picked up the day to stop smoking. I do recommend Zyban 100%.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2015 2:56 PM

Review by longtimesmoker (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): Before the first week was up and before I even increased my dosage, I went from smoking almost 2 packs a day to less than 5. When I tried to avoid smoking altogether right away, I had very bad headaches and a little achy. I think it does help to taper down some so your body can adjust to the change of nicotine levels. I have tried many times and many methods to quit smoking. Zyban is by far the best.

February 28, 2015 2:25 PM

Review by doifhsdfb:

The first time I was prescribed Wellbutrin for smoking cessation it worked miraculously the FIRST DAY. Weird, I know. Zero cravings. Blissfully cigarette free for 18 months. A friend offered me her e-cigarette and I honestly thought they were water vapor only. The next day I bought a pack and had "one", then off to the races. Tried to stop with Wellbutrin again and no real result so I am more addicted than ever and so disappointed in myself. After reading these experiences I feel I owe it to myself to try again. A state-sponsored program is sending me free patches and gum for 14 days. Wish me luck.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 2:37 PM

Review by Night_Owl:

I originally got it prescribed for depression. My doctor very casually mentioned that it would also help me quit smoking. I didn't think much of it except, "Yeah right... As long as it cures my depression." After 3 days of taking it, I didn't smoke a cigarette from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm (I usually smoked every 1 or 2 hours). By then, I realized that I hadn't smoked the whole time. I had completely forgotten that the medicine also reduced cigarette cravings. On the fourth day, I was only smoking 1/4 of what I usually did, and after I week I quit altogether.

February 6, 2015 1:27 AM

Review by Boomdoggle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I used Wellbutrin for a "practice quit" about 9 months before the big day to amass a strategy to stop smoking. At first, I didn't think it was doing anything. About two weeks into it, I was stuck in a meeting with no opportunity to smoke, and didn't notice the urge until the meeting was over. That was it. I knew that this would be a key component in my effort to kick the habit. As of New Year's Day I've been smoke-free, and I feel fine, and have avoided the depressive side effects of not smoking. Cravings are easily dealt with and pass quickly. I feel confident that my life as a nonsmoker will be pure liberation, thanks to Wellbutrin's mood elevating effects. Best of all, I still feel like ME!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 7:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I never write reviews but this medicine has worked so well for me. I've been on it since January 2nd and have cut down smoking by more than 3/4. Yesterday I only had 2-3 cigarettes and they weren't even completely smoked. It's weird because you still think of having a smoke now and then but have little desire to actually go have one. Each day gets better and you have less and less desire to actually smoke even if you think about it from time to time. No side effects. Would pay 10x more if I had too for this.

January 15, 2015 4:10 AM

Review by globalarizona (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion): Quit date 3 days away, after a month on Zyban, cigarettes taste bad, and aren't satisfying at all. Have reduced by half, without even starting with the nicotine replacement lozenges and gum. Was taking Lexapro for anxiety, stopped and switched to Zyban as my anti-anxiety and smoking cessation.

December 26, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by Chermassey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started bupropion and set my stop date for 1 week later (as instructed you should quit at one week after beginning medicine or during the second week for sure). Anyway, started it and set stop date for 1 week later; quit on day 6 of first week. Taking this medicine blocks the ability to get that feeling you get when you smoke. Absolutely nothing happens, and the cigarettes tastes terrible. I bought myself one of those e-cigs and take a puff here and there. Also, I found I still have intense cravings so I added the patch which the combination works phenomenally for me. I bought the e-cig because my plan was to take a puff or 2 off of it if I start to snap; but you don't get a buzz off the e-cig either; however, it does satisfy that smoking behavior.

December 16, 2014 10:16 AM

Review by Carl F:

Zyban (bupropion): Started smoking at 13, up to 2 1/2 pack a day. Wife also smoked, up to 2 packs a day. We both started Zyban at the same time. Took meds and smoked for a week, stopped the smoking, then a week later, stopped the meds. Haven't regretted doing it. Although I don't feel a whole lot better, still huff and puff at the top of the stairs, gained about 25 pounds, but I know we are both better for having quit. Recommend to anyone who really wants to quit.

December 9, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by JeffFlag (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): Tried quitting cold turkey and was so grumpy had to decide between quitting or my marriage, chose marriage. Tried Zyban, quit after 10 days, been a month and have not had any sign of grumpiness, withdrawl or anxiety. I call them my magic pills

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by KLINGLER:

Zyban (bupropion): Nice

October 27, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Winfield blue 25s (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion): I'm 21 years old and I used to smoke 25 a day for 3 years. When I first started taking Zyban I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to quit or keep smoking but I thought why not try! For the first 8-10 days my morning dose made very nauseous and feel like I was either going to vomit or faint but I never did. since I set my quit date with zyban I have never touched a cigarette since and it has been 6 months now. the only caution I would like to share is that it only takes away the cravings ! You still have to say no too having a cigarette.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 5:33 AM

Review by Lizzrrd (taken for 10 years or more):

If you are having trouble sleeping make sure you take it early in the morning. It gives me a slight energy boost. If you take it twice a day ask your doctor for a bigger dosage for once a day in the morning. I take 300 mg XL when I wake up and it is fabulous. . Good luck. I suffer depression so I have taken it for a long time with no relapse.

August 28, 2014 1:16 PM

Review by felinechar (taken for less than 1 month):

Love this, no mouth sores, or ulcers like Wellbutrin gave me. I COMPLETELY QUIT SMOKING...this works.

August 22, 2014 8:29 PM

Review by Slee76 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion): I've been taking bupropion for just over a month as per my doctor. She told me that it was important that my moods stabilize before I have a quit date. On my quit date 4 days ago I continued taking it and using a daily Nicoderm patch with a Nicoderm inhaler for break throughs. I am 4 days smoke free, something I have not been able to say in the 23 years since I first started smoking. I never lasted a day without smokes no matter how intense the plan. This combination is amazing and I have never felt better.

August 15, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by ChuckString (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion): Quit using Zyban over 29 years ago. Quitting with Zyban was the easiest thing to do. Tried to quit by ALL of the other methods without success. All I did was follow the directions faithfully and changed my routing for the first morning only. I never looked back or had those ghost cravings. I found I was able to have the occasional cigar without issue. TOTALLY recommend this method... Weaned myself off Zyban by just forgetting to take the meds more frequently as time went on.

August 1, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by debsza (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion): I have been taking it for 1 week...I get headaches and agitation, abit dizzy. I was debating wheather to stop taking it...but I will try a few more days. Will this go away as I continue!!

July 12, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by R3 (taken for less than 1 month):

Started 5 days before my quit date, today is my 23rd day smoke free. First week I did experience a spaced out feeling at times and increased desire to stay busy- that has leveled off and I feel completely normal. Cravings tough during 1st week, but staying busy helped. Woke up several times in the night but fell right back to sleep- I take 150mg twice a day...first at 5 am second 8 hrs later, never had a hard time falling asleep. Constipation still an issue and hoping that eases. No decrease or difference in appetite/weight. Cravings now maybe 2 per day and don't last long. Would recommend, but you must want to quit.

June 25, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by tiredgrandma (taken for less than 1 month):

New Dr. recommended bupropion to stop smoking. Been smoking 40 years. Tried Chantix over a year ago. Was successful for a 3 week period. Got stressed at work and said I'll just have one. Family member told me I was getting nasty with people. So went off the Chantix. Bupropion now on day 6. Have bad insomnia. Getting 2 hrs sleep now. Maybe its supposed to take a while on the cravings for cigarettes. Love the energy of the bupropion now.

April 26, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by TeeLee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion): I smoked from age 15 to 50, up to 3 packs a day. I quit many times and suffered greatly. Plan 2: Decrease number of cigarettes a day, then quit. I decreased to 10-12 a day for about 10 months. Started Zyban and quit 7 days later. Went to Las Vegas of all places and all the smoking didn't tempt me. I am now 66 and haven't had a smoke since.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 2:25 PM

Review by Berum1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Part 1: I am a fifty year old woman and I have had weight problems my whole life. I cannot take diet pills as they make me very sick and I've tried many other things to try to lose weight (I'm not very good at this as I LOVE food and hate exercise). Until recently I have never been able to find anything that could help me. So I have been overweight for most of my life. In 2011 I was taking Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking. While on the medication I lost a pretty good amount of weight. I thought at that time it was because I was trying to eat better (again, I'm not very good at this as I LOVE food and hate exercise). Once I quit smoking and stopped taking Wellbutrin I gained all my weight (plus more) back.

November 22, 2013 7:55 AM