User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Anxiety

"I have been struggling with Anxiety my whole life, the earliest memory I could think of involved some sort of anxiety. I've learned to cope with it as I got older but it seemed to always be one step ahead of me. I talked to my doctor and she put me on Welbutrin XL 150. As the years went on my anxiety increased due to stress at work, university and life in general. This caused me to develop depression to the point where I cannot watch a commercial without crying because the father said I love you to his daughter. I went to the doctor and she upped me to 300 and I was back to myself again. The medication has helped me cope through anxiety and depression! I am 25 F and using this medication for 8 years now"

Su K August 11, 2015

"Diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder & GAD, I started taking this medication at 150mg. After 4-5 weeks of dry mouth, headaches, night sweats, abnormal dreams, and a slight head jerk every now and then, my anxiety had almost disappeared. I lost 10 lbs the first 2 months but eventually gained it back which I didn't mind. WB has made a huge difference with the physiological symptoms of my anxiety, meaning that I no longer feel physically uncomfortable, especially in social situations. My doc has increased my dosage to 300mg after being on 150mg for 8 months. So far after one week on the new dosage, all the initial side effects I had when I first started taking WB have returned, but with the addition of dry eyes & blurred vision."

She who shall not be named August 5, 2015

"Well I have been on Wellbutrin XL150mg for 5 days along with Paxil, also taking Xanax or kolonipine *only as needed (not often). While without meds I have too many thoughts running through my head all the majority of the time, I worry, and sometimes I even have fears of driving to places I am not familiar with. I find it difficult to concentrate in grad school (stressful) and cry out of simple being tried of trying to self encourage, and fight off or trying to ignore my anxiety. Since I have been on meds, my thoughts are slower, and not so many, but they are like a movie shooting through my mind, and it is usually a thought of worry. I will give it more time to work, hopefully it gets better."

yarrum (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

"As a college student, I felt like I needed some support to get me through difficult times that I couldn't do myself for a number of reasons. I tried meditation and relaxation but to no prevail. My twin has been on Lexapro for years now, so I went to my PCP to try Lexapro. It was not helpful at all - it made me want to chain smoke, when I drank it was not a pretty combo, and I was constantly tired. When I got on Wellbutrin starting out at 150mg, it's like I finally saw the light. Everything has just been so much better! I can concentrate better, I'm almost always in a good mood, and I haven't had any huge issues with anxiety. Now I've been on 300mg for almost a month, so we'll see how this goes!"

Anonymous May 22, 2015

"I have only taken the XL for 3 days, I have had some anxiety and take Ativan to get through. I feel more able to focus, complete projects, not so much crying, starting to feel like I can cope with life again. I am working, I would advise people to take a couple days off work when starting just to let the side effects subside. I had sexual dysfunction with Zoloft, so I am hoping that I don't have the same problem with this med."

Review456 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety and Depression after some very traumatic events. I was first put on Prozac and two months in I knew it wasn't for me. Flatline and impossible to have an orgasm. Next was Remeron which made me so exhausted but helped somewhat with anxiety before bed. My new pdoc suggested Wellbutrin. I did research and was afraid to take it. It sat in my drawer for three months. Things got so bad, I would wake up in dread, crying, worried nonstop, so I started it. 150XL in morning for two weeks. I was completely surprised that I had no side effects and was feeling it almost from day one. It was as if the worry disappeared, replaced by a feeling that everything is going to work out. Up to 300 now, great results."

Vinylfind (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

"6 months ago I stopped drinking and realized I had anxiety. My first 2 anxiety attacks landed me in the hospital without a diagnosis. Finally on my 3rd visit to the ER I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety. When I visited my regular Dr. he prescribed my Xanax 0.5 mg and Zoloft... and OMG I was able to hear colors... That medication did not sit well with me.. An hour after I took it I was feeling like crap, So i called my Dr. the next day and he gave Wellbutrin 150 CL and Clonazapam.... Im on day 6 and so far so good.. no real side effects..."

k9dog (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

"Been on this med for about 4 years and YES it helps with weight gain.... bad thing is....NEVER stop taking... the withdrawals are terrible!!! But otherwise this works great for my anxiety disorder."

patriciab1966 March 21, 2015

"I've been on Seroquel for 4 years on 300mg. Everyday I woke up like a zombie had no energy. Everything has dark and gloomy, plus I had no energy whatsoever. I researched Bupropion I'm on 150mg only once a day. I'm still coming off Seroquel from 300/150/50mg. Since taking Bupropion I have so much more energy everything seems brighter. I seem more interested in simple things, more organized. I actually notice myself laughing at little things, I feel like I forgot to laugh so it was a strange feeling when I was. I'm still a bit groggy coming off the Seroquel but hopefully this will work for me."

Poppy89 March 9, 2015

"I started the medication for smoking and anxiety about 3 weeks ago. The initial side effects are very intense. I had an intense headache every day for a week and a half but it did go away. I also had an uncontrollable head tremor and very intense nightmares, both have gone away as well. The medication has yet to curb my urge to smoke. When I get anxiety the physical symptoms are very intense, rapid heart rate and breathing, extreme headache and stomach upset. On the positive side I no longer feel like I don't want to live my life. I am going to give the medication the time to take full effect and see how it goes. If the anxiety symptoms don't improve, I will most likely stop after the full 6 weeks that is recommended."

akdjflsjdflkjsdlfjlwejr January 23, 2015

"So first off I have generalized anxiety, panic attacks, worry 24/7 etc. At first my doctor prescribed me Lexapro and worked great for 2 months and then started getting depression, and all my symptoms again. Also all I wanted to do was sleep then sleep some more and so on. So my doc switched me to bupropion HCL ER XL 300mg and only took two days to start feeling the effects, from the switch. I feel better already, can actually focus and get out of my head, have energy, feel great, and have interest in hobbies I once had. Felt very little anxiety today but so far I feel like I'm getting my life back! Also take Buspar but only started taking it a few days ago so hopefully all goes well!"

Jman25 October 30, 2014

"I was on Lexapro for about 6 months before my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin due to weight gain and sexual side effects. I experienced intense headaches for the first few days, and dry mouth for the first 2 weeks. Both have since gone away. I have also lost 11 pounds in one month, which brings me just below my pre-Lexapro weight. I would attribute much of this to the reduction in appetite I have experienced with wellbutrin, as well as increased metabolism. My anxiety is under control and I feel great!"

JennyT88 October 15, 2014

"I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder with a secondary diagnosis of Depression for almost 2 years. I used to be on 200mg of Wellbutrin, but recently, was switched to 300mg of the extended release due to a relapse in anxiety/depressive symptoms. I've noticed that I've had more energy since switching and my mood has been elevated. HOWEVER, be extremely careful with alcohol consumption!!!! My tolerance lowered and 8 hours after I stopped drinking, I ended up in the hospital for uncontrollable vomiting. Depressive symptoms and stomach issues persisted for 4 days after being hospitalized. For me, not drinking isn't a big deal since I don't really drink much to begin with, but if you're a huge social drinker, be careful!"

jcw765 October 3, 2014

"Has worked well for me to manage anxiety and not feel scattered. Unfortunately a side effect is occasional slight pains near my heart so think I will need to switch to something else."

No more pending doom (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2014

"I just started taking this.I have severe stress and anxiety. My son has disabilities, G-tube, needs a lot of help. I find I am just exhausted on a daily basis. I would literally rub my hands till they bled and crack open because I was so over stressed about my boy. He is so sweet I found my self crying over littlest thing that would go wrong at school or at the playground. Now I can go and enjoy myself without the worry 24/7. My hands are slowly getting better with help of UVB Light Therapy but the meds are a MUST. I used to love to knit But I had to stop because they were so painful! Now I can go for walks with out huffing and puffing.I hope with the help of my Doctor that I can find balance and peace without yelling at my boy or husband."

zunna September 25, 2014

"I have taken bupropion for over 13 years for anxiety. I have severe anxiety that causes depression. After many years of storm phobia and severe anxiety and many different medications this is the one that worked for me. Being able to feel normal and not have panic attacks has been wonderful. Have had no side effects except every once in a while I see twinkly dots in my vision, hard to tell if it is the medicines or from being tired. I will take the twinkly dots over anxiety any day."

Anonymous September 25, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Bupropion as an alternative to my usual Lexapro at the beginning of an "episode". I was probably more anxious than depressed. I was a little concerned because Bupropion is not specifically an anti-anxiety medication. Bupropion was an instant pickup and boosts libido. The boost did not last and I started to get very anxious and somewhat depressed after the first week. I eventually had to start back on the Lexapro. I don't think Bupropion is a very effective anxiety medication and it is not generally prescribed for that purpose. I did find very few side effects compared to the sweating, loss of libido and weight gain of Lexapro. I am presently tapering off. I have some issues with insomnia and Bupropion may not help."

NervousJack (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2014

"I feel like this pill help me not to go overboard with stress.. It has changed my life I use to worry 20 hours a day."

Anonymous May 12, 2014

"I started this medication at 150 mg xl about a week ago... I feel slightly different. ... I had a panic attack at work the other day.... which scared me.... I dont get as upset as before. My sex life is great! I think Im going to give it another week and maybe increase my dosage..."

SlimTee November 10, 2013

"Was on Celexa for anxiety and and stayed sleepy all the time. Switched to bupropion (300 mg) and am very pleased with the results: much less anxiety, improved libido, sleep well at night, lost some weight, and have more energy. For me, it's a good choice for anxiety without side effects."

essay782 July 13, 2013

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I like the medication, I feel better but not 100% anxiety free. What I like about it is that now my mood is stable and I am happier and most of chocolate craves are gone. I still worry about things here and there but is much better than it used to. I can say that I feel just like my old self (happy and full of life)."

Mamae.do.Lucas June 21, 2013

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"On 20 mgs Cipralex two years ago and gained almost 30 pounds. Began taking Wellbutrin 150mgs three weeks ago after weaning myself off the Cipralex over a 2 month period. A few side effects, dry mouth being the most noticeable. 150 mgs for two weeks and started 300 mgs this last Monday. Huge energy boost...appetite is level and cravings are non-existent. I have to remind myself to eat. I have lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks without changing anything in my daily routine. I believe the ingredient in the medicine which helps a person to quit smoking has the same effect on appetite. It just stops the cravings, therefore stopping needless emotional eating or eating out of boredom. Anxiety was my major mood disorder but it has not affected me negatively!"

Mmoulaison April 13, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for years. That last year my anxiety has reached the point of almost constant panic. It is affecting every aspect of my life, and worst of all my confidence in doing my job. I have been desperately seeking some relief. I have had ruminating thoughts, fear of death/failure, overall guilt, etc. Anyways, I have been on the medication for 10 days. The first 6 were wonderful. I actually got out of bed and played with my kids! However the last four days the an anxiety is creeping back. Doc just upped my dose to 150 from the 100 (SR generic). Hopefully this will work out because I've tried SSRI's and SSNRI's and they make me feel like I'm going to flip out. Complete worsening of depression and anxiety."

Getmeoutofme January 4, 2013

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I take Wellbutrin for help with the management of stress and it works wonderfully! I used to be in a bad mood and very tired after work which was not good for my kids or husband. I take 100mg at 6:00 am and another 100mg at 2:00 pm and it makes a HUGE difference in my mood, energy level, and diminishes my cravings for chocolate. What I like the MOST is how I have energy ALL DAY LONG now. I used to be so tired all the time even though I was not depressed or sick. Now I have energy even after a long day of work. I must drink 50-60 ounces of water daily or I have bad muscle pain. But so long as I get in enough water I feel fabulous and definitely recommend this for others who have a hard time with stress and low energy levels."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2012

198 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was taking Bupropion SR for about two months for anxiety and depression. At first my doctor started me off at 75 MG. When I first took it the medication started to work right away, but the medication for some reason stop working after about two weeks. My anxiety came back and so did my depression. So I called my doctor and she switched me to 150MG. I thought to myself "maybe the dosage was just low". Again the medication worked right away, but again the medication for some reason only lasted about two weeks. I went back to my doctor and she switched me to Prozac and so far it has worked pretty well. The symptoms I had with bupropion was nausea, diarrhea, and drowsiness. I don't think this medication was right for me but everyone is different."

CocoCat (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2012