User Reviews for Subutex

Learn more about Subutex.

Subutex review summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Subutex to treat Opiate Dependence

Review by SubutexSAVEDmyLIFE:

This medication is God send. I have been an opiate addict for over 10 years. I have tried Methadone, Suboxone, being totally sober (which caused me to go insane as well as suicidal). I truly have hope for my future now and after about 14 years of searching to just feel "normal" I finally do. Within two weeks of getting my dosage correct my parents and friends could see a MAJOR difference in me, my attitude towards life, my appearance, my motivation and overall happiness.

September 27, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by Kaylee74 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

After 5 years on pain pills, 4 years injecting heroin, 2 years clean then a month long relapse, I went on the methadone clinic for 7 years. I never felt right, I'd feel dopesick by 10 pm (12 hours after 300 mg dose of methadone) I gained 100 pounds, had profuse sweating. The methadone clinic I went to wouldn't give me take homes due to my other scripts. So NO VACATION, standing in line at the clinic on Christmas morning. It sucked! So I was telling my Dr. Who just so happened to have a Subutex clinic. I went through the horrifying detox but am grateful I did. I feel free from the daily run to get dope or methadone. I have a monthly prescription and it feels like a life time ago that I went through all that. I have my life back.

July 18, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by Stepaside11:

In 2010, what started as some needed relief for back pain, the FL Pill Mill took me for a ride which almost cost me my life. Being prescribed 120 30mg Oxy/month to 15 months later being at 240 30mg Oxy and 90 40mg Opana ER. The damage I caused my family in that brief period was substantial, but the damage I did to myself was enormous. One day, looking in the mirror, I was scared into reality. How had I gone from 276lbs to 204lbs in 9 months? At that precise moment, I called a Subutex Dr and 48hrs later, in withdrawals I started Subutex. What transpired over the next 9 months was nothing short of a rebirth. In Jan 2012, I took my last 0.75mg dose of Subutex and with it, I flushed 690mg of Oxy and 360mg of Opana, left over from the day I started Subutex!

March 17, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by Archie 19 (taken for less than 1 month):

Day 5 off Subutex after a quick 2 week detox. Day 3 was the worst upset stomach, aching legs and the lack of sleep but that's about it, nothing to be scared about it's all cope able, hot baths and paracetamol. Just don't listen to the horror stories, if done correctly it's doable. Good luck.

October 2, 2013 2:22 AM

Review by Reddd:

If this medicine is used correctly it can save your life! I have been on the medicine about 2 years. Night and day from what I once was to what I am now! I used medicines (all of them) for 15 years. Now I have been medicine free for as long as I been on this medicine. I know it only treats opiate use but for whatever reason it has helped me through it all. This medicine has without a doubt saved my life. I went from never having anything to now new truck, nice house, and most importantly my kids have a life I always dreamed of. Just thought I should share.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2013 11:30 AM

Review by Mickey1975w (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I`ve had an on off relationship with opiates for many years now, my addictive personality has completely taken over my life and I'm out of control since my mother died but I chose to get it back by taking Subutex. I get no euphoria, I get nothing except a feeling of normality, but now I'm extremely worried reading about others experiences of trying to get off of the medicine. I did a methadone program once and tapered off, I was free from opiates for many years until quite recently, my Doctor told me the Subutex would be better and easier to get off than Methadone. I hope this is the case, I've been on the Subutex for 3 months now. At first I took 24mg a day, now I take between 12 and 16mg a day, depending on how I feel.

July 2, 2013 4:34 PM

Review by Dutchgirl69 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prior to Subutex, I was taking Norco 80mg every 3 hours while awake. I eventually told my doc & he put me on Subutex 8mg 3 times a day. I had NO withdrawal symptoms when I switched. One day, done. I had been taking the Subutex for over a year with some annoying side effects.. sweating & restless sleeping. One day..on my own without my docs approval..I just stopped taking the Subutex & decided I was done..well a little over 24 hrs later I went through the roof! I realized this was a mistake. It was over the weekend so my husband ended up taking me to the emergency department to explain to the doctor. I then started A tapper schedule. All in all..it was really HARD to get off Subutex, the symptoms were horrible & lasted weeks.

April 7, 2013 6:57 PM

Review by bougjen (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Great treatment for addiction to opiates.

March 23, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by babyleg (taken for 10 years or more):

Been on oxy, roxy, morphine, etc., all for 19 years. Subutex works to help quit.

February 6, 2013 11:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been blessed to find my Doctor. He offers much more than just one condition he could treat me with several issues on stopping my cycle of addiction.

November 12, 2012 12:29 PM

Review by bcp666 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I absolutely love this medicine. It helped my back pain and increased my mood. I have been on the 2 mg for about 6 months and finally after breaking the last three in half for four days (1 mg) I have gone cold turkey. WOW first day is okay, second and third are the killers, no motivation, no sleep, however on the 4th day I was feeling better and saw my doctor on the 5th day. He was expecting me to beg for more, but I turned him down, I wanted off the ride for good. He was so proud which made me feel better. I am now back at work and it is HARD but I am making it. Really folks get the 2 mg and break them into half's, and then half those till you are out... Within 5 days you will be FINE.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2012 10:57 AM

Review by basshead354:

Suboxone/Subutex has saved my life. After five years of opiate addiction, this medicine has set me free. I feel contempt with life and normal, for once. Buprenorphine is truly a miracle and life saver. If you want to get clean, and you can find a doctor that truly wants to help you and understands addiction, there's nothing standing in your way. It is expensive without insurance, but it is worth it. I take 16mg of the Suboxone films a day, and I have not had a craving since I started taking them. If you want to get clean, this is the best way to begin that process.

April 20, 2012 12:23 PM

Review by painshmane:

I suffered with chronic pain for 10 years. Used fentynal pain patches and codeine number 4. Did very well until the heat and my hormones made the patch secrete crazy ways, making me sick for about 9 months. I wanted off these patches and was referred to great doctors, and started the Subutex 8 mg and have been a new person since it began. I did have to increase one half pill after about 6 months, does your body get used to the Subutex, or is my body changing? I'm also menopausal, depressed and Subutex seems to help with these issues also.

April 19, 2012 2:35 AM

Review by JL1964:

I started taking pain meds after having many, many operations. I was on pain meds for years, from 1996-2005. I was up to 140mg's of methadone and (5) 30 mg roxicodone for breakthrough pain a day. I was tired of taking this stuff. I got down to 5 mg's of methadone a day and quit. I was miserable! I went through serious withdrawals! I called a doc in town told him my story and he put me on subutex. That was the beginning of 2005 and I am still on it today and I never touched another pain pill since. It woks for both cravings and for pain help too. Although it is not as good as the others for pain relief it works well enough and I'm happy for it.

February 13, 2012 1:10 PM

Review by Lifes worth living:

I am currently on Subutex and have been for almost 2 years. Like many others have said it is a great medicine to be on if you really want to quit your habits. It can be a long process for some and for others it may take not long at all. Some people use it for pain management. But I myself have done good on this medicine. It's been such a long road for me like I'm sure it has for the rest of you. I am now finally getting down to such a low amount and soon should be free from Subutex. I know my addiction will always be there but with the right help I can stay clean!

January 27, 2012 3:28 AM

Review by Comingbacktolife:

I recently switched from Suboxone to Subutex, and I could not have been more grateful for my doctor allowing the change. I never felt "good" on Suboxone, I always had a headache, I was always sick to my stomach, and I felt I couldn't do anything until I took my dose. Now, with Subutex, I actually feel GOOD. I have energy, I have a desire to go out and live again, rather than just exist from dose to dose of that awful citrus taste. I also see myself not needing as large of an amount in order to keep me feeling alright. I am so thankful for Subutex.

January 15, 2012 7:28 PM

Review by mirindi:

Exceptional.

January 5, 2012 1:13 PM

Subutex has changed my life. It's improved the quality of my life and family. I am able to function on a daily basis and be the mother my two beautiful boys deserve. I had a reaction to the generic buprenorphine (GI, abdominal pain). I am very upset that you will no longer be making the brand name Subutex as this has had a huge impact on the quality of my life. I'm hoping the other generic buprenorphine will work out for me.

November 3, 2011 11:00 AM

My son is on it. He needed it for the pain relieving aspect as much as withdrawals from Oxycontin which his doctor cut him off of cold turkey. Lousy thing to do. He needs something for extreme pain. Had to find a certified doctor to get it. It works great.

July 2, 2011 7:05 PM

Review by sounds to good to be true...:

I commend everyone on here for wanting to change their lives from the misery of opiate addiction or just plain addiction. I think Subutex and Suboxone are great when you detox off other heavy opiates, or using them for maintenance for a short period of time- no longer than 5-6 months. Because this is a very powerful medicine too, I am saying this because I want everybody to know that this medication will take away all your dope sickness and then when your done with the subs your good with no withdrawl from that. That is certainly not the case. More evidence is coming out when on subs 4 over 1/ 1 and half years It is much harder to get off these drugs than your d.o.c. But they do help you break that vicious addicition cycle. Gd luck 2 u all.

June 25, 2011 7:35 AM

This medicine does work extremely well. It takes away all cravings. It is the best medication I have used to help complete my opioid free lifestyle.

June 13, 2011 1:42 PM

Review by Jillybean77:

Several years ago I was Diagnosed with Crohn's disease and long story short got hooked on pain killers. Anyway I decided that I hated being dependent on the pills, mainly was just on Vicoden. I've been on Subutex for a few years now and have little to no side effects other than I get HOT very fast. I want to add something important. I used to take maybe 3-4 Vicodens 3 times a day. Sometimes a little bit more (like 1 or 2). I was so desperate for relief because I was in withdrawal and was told about Suboxone.

May 8, 2011 7:05 PM

Review by greeneyedgirl2:

I've been on Subutex for 3 years. I take it for back pain resulting from a ruptured disc, 4 back surgeries, and then being diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. I also take it to avoid taking a boatload of opiates, which is what I was doing before. But I think this medicine has many more side effects than those listed. I have difficulty urinating and my doctor agreed that it is a common complaint with Subutex and Suboxone. It dries my skin out, especially my hands. They look like sandpaper no matter what I do. The dermatologist has been stumped by this; nothing she suggests or prescribes helps and she agrees that it is probably the Sub. Also, BIG problems with sensitive gums and dentures.

April 12, 2011 2:56 PM

Review by time bomb:

First day without a oxy or roxy in about 15 years. Ready to quit. Thanks to Subutex I think i can do it. I really want it. Took withdrawals away in about 15 minutes.

March 25, 2011 12:29 AM

I am a recovered IV heroin user. I have tried many other treatment options, and the only one that worked is Subutex. I have been on it for about 5 years now and have very slowly decreased my dosage from 16mg daily (2 pills) down to a very small fraction of 1 pill (probably only 1mg daily). So, I will soon be free from this medicine as well. I highly recommend this option to anybody that wants to quit using opiates. As the posters have said, you actually have to want to stop using, and create a strong desire within yourself to get clean, and keep a positive attitude and belief in yourself that you can do this, even if you have failed before. Be strong and you will get through the very mild bad part, which is only for a week or two.

February 19, 2011 5:08 PM