User Reviews for Butrans

Learn more about Butrans.

Pain 38 reviews 935 medications

7.9
Chronic Pain 34 reviews 105 medications

7.4
Summary of Butrans reviews 72 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Butrans

For Pain "I have a broken tail bone and an L4 fracture, didnt want pain pills so dr prescribed Butrans. Within 1 hour of putting 5mg patch on I was dizzy and light headed. I went to bed and woke up still in pain and still dizzy. Day 2 nausea kicked in and still dizzy, by after i had to call dr because i had a bad headache and very nauseated. Took Dramamine and helped a lil. Day 3 - i felt very out of it when i woke up, by 11am, i was extremely nauseated, dizzy and shaking. Took a Dramamine and ate lunch, this did not help felt horrible at work. I took the patch off at 12 noon and had to leave work. I am home and its 6 hours later, shaking has stopped, still very nauseated and dizzy. Very upset because the back pain had almost been totally gone"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Great improvement with the patch. I have joint pain and deterioration of the spine and my mobility has come back to where I can now do household tasks, go out to events, dining and visiting friends. Started with 5mcg and gradually increased to 15mcg. The side effects have been rough to deal with. First the itching skin and then blistering. Swollen ankles. Night sweats. Some of this is worse than others. But how can I get this level of relief with something else? I will find out about Kenalog spray recommended by another writer here. Swollen ankles, elevate and ice. Night sweats, do not sleep on the patch. I keep hoping my body will adjust to the adhesive and medication after time. I will keep using Butrans."

Vegas Corky January 30, 2015

For Chronic Pain "I saw in the comments that someone had an allergic reaction. I thought interesting. After 10 weeks of wearing the patch I develop some itching around the edges. The next week I had intense itching as if bit by mosquitoes. I removed the patch and tried one more patch. The reaction started after 2 days, mild itching to a very discrete raised red patch the exact size of the patch. I don't know if it's the patch or the medication but will have to discontinue use. Too bad since it really worked well at alleviating my pain at night"

Azpainpatient (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2015

For Pain "So far Butrans has been a lifesaver. I've been on every nerve medication and pain killer for the past 6 years. I was taking 10 Oxycodone every day just to stay functional. 1st day on the patch I didn't think it was going to work. The next day I woke up almost pain free for the first time in years. It made me realize how bad my pain had actually been. Butrans has been nothing short of a miracle for me. No more pills (except Mobic). No more roller coaster of highs and lows of pain medicines. Just relief. It's only week 2 but the difference is amazing. Some minor side effects, little sleepy, subtle headache, but that's about it. I feel almost 100% normal again. I honestly had almost forgotten what normal felt like. Thanks Butrans!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

For Chronic Pain "My pain Dr suggested Butrans. Butrans works for me. Takes my pain level down to 3 or 4 and that is manageable for me. The only problem I have with the patch is I am allergic to the adhesive. I have to use a spray steriod prior to placing the patch. So far it has worked. No itching or whelps. I have a hard time getting it approved through both my insurances. It takes a couple of days to finally getting it approved. I rarely have to take my breakthrough pain meds and I like that."

JustCarolyn December 29, 2014

For Chronic Pain "I was given Butrans 10 after gallbladder surgery, and ended up with adhesions, I started the patches 1 every 7 days and was shocked the next morning after applying it the day before, I had been getting up in the night to take Norco 10 and also 3 to 4 Norcos during the day, the first 3 months the 10 mg worked great with 2 Norco during the day, some days only 1 Norco. Then when I started the fourth month I realized I was having to get up in the night and take a Norco, I would wake up my knees and legs killing me, I have put up with this for 6 weeks, when I return to the dr tomorrow I will ask if he needs to up my mg to a 15 or 20, the Butran 10 had worked great at first I guess my body just got used to it and I need to ramp it up."

alvis-red (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2014

For Chronic Pain "I started on the 10mg but still had a lot of pain for 4 weeks. So now my Dr started me on the 15mg and now I am pain free. Love love love it. "

Mamma Bear 1997 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Taking Butrans for 90 days....10 mg patch.....I love how it helps to control the highs and lows of sharp pain....keeps an evener feel"

caseyq (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014

For Pain "I have not been on it longer than 2 days yet. I have a weeks patch at 20mg. I have results but I'm still in some pain. My DR has told me to use a further 10mg patch! I will add this on Monday and write again."

JakeFukk (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2014

For Chronic Pain "I was scared to try this but saw these reviews... I want to thank you all for easing my mind! I finally tried Butrans and am so thankful this exists. I have been on pain medication for a couple years. I was so tired of the constant ups and downs that seemed to come in shorter and shorter intervals. This patch works great! I'm in less pain, sleep better, and am finally getting off the couch and doing some things."

Wastooscaredtotrybutthen (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "This medication was fantastic for relieving pain. It was more effective than oxycodone or hydrocodone. I had absolutely no side effects but one. The one side effect was just too much to deal with. Basically, this medication took away all libido and initiative and motivation. On the positive side it made me feel relaxed, sedated, and a sense of well being with absolute 100% pain relief at all times, but I may as well have been a zombie. This medication made me not care about much. Normally having a high sex drive, I had no libido at all, lost complete interest in my salsa dance lessons, and zero interest in going out. That's not living life. I prefer to stick to my hydros in that case."

Arrowstar August 23, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Butrans changed my daily living. I loved what its done for me so, much that I have 2 other friends suffering and their Drs. have them on it now too. the only thing I don't like is the prickly itchy feeling but, after reading some of these review I may talk to my Dr. about their suggestions. also, I find that after the 1st 3 days I have had little to no side effects. I am sometimes able to push my days out to 8 as long as I don't overdue the week. otherwise I am ready by mid day of the 6th day and will often change it the very eve so, that by my 7th day I'm back up and running. hope this review helps i know when i went on it, the reviews were helpful to me.. thanks BUTRANS for my LIFE!!! if you have pain BUTRANS WORKS."

desbibb July 8, 2014

For Chronic Pain "My doctor first prescribed these for me at the 10mg dosage as many of her fibromyalgia patients did well on them. When I first started to use them, the side effects were awful: headaches, light headedness, dizzy spells that came on out of the blue, severe nausea. But after the first patch, the symptoms seemed to ease when I would place the patches on my thigh or arm. Then by the 2nd box I noticed they weren't doing anything for the pain. So my doctor up'ed the amount to 20mg. I started to take the first of those patches this week. Side effects were tripled. After going for a 4 mile run, I came home and felt like I was going to pass out. This turned into my vomiting violently for 20 minutes. Don't know that I'll continue; pain has dulled."

FibroRunner (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Chronic back pain/three back surgeries. Medicine is only mildly useful. I have breakthrough pain every time I have to walk more than two or three minutes. I was told I shouldn't need anything besides this medicine, but that is NOT true. I am also having a skin reaction at the patch site. Before being given this medicine, I reminded my doctor that I have a problem with most bandage adhesives (only paper tape works), but she said this wouldn't be a problem. Wrong....I am getting blisters."

KDHS May 16, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Excellent pain relief, but the side effects made it impossible to continue using it. My dosage was 10mcg. Severe hypersensitivity reactions within two weeks and had to go to ER three times and doctor twice, because of horrible allergic reactions: facial swelling, throat swelling and raw to the point of barely able to swallow and unable to speak, blood pressure and pulse skyrocketed, had to use Epi pen twice in 24-hours, scary. If a person doesn't have side effects with the patch, the pain relief is excellent. If a person has potentially life threatening side effects, as I did, the fact that the patch is providing pain relief is irrelevant."

Hum123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Butrans has been a lifesaver for me. Without it I cant move."

rayleneroyston (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Wow! For me this medicine is very effective. It only took 2 days for me to feel different. Seems that I'm always having this ache or that ache, but this is just unbelievable. If you are DIABETIC, I found that my blood sugar increased quite a bit."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2014

For Pain "I have been on pain medicines since 1987 and an injury. I went through it all the way up to Lorcet. Then when they found out I had a liver condition, they switched me over to Butrans. About 30 minutes after taking it, I was out of pain, but I was also in a newer state of mind. On my previous pain killers, I assumed they were working. But with Butrans, once it hit me, I was VERY aware of being on a narcotic. NO pain and a nice buzz on the side. Thank You to Butrans."

Fyl of Riverside (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "Had back surgery in 2000. 3 rods 6 screws and bone put in L4 L5 S1. Had severe pain for 12 years. No sleep, ( 3 1/2 to 5 hours a night). No energy, seldom in good mood because of the pain. Sometimes down for 3 weeks at a time. Began Butrans 10 mcg last year and man what a difference. First week was getting 7 hours sleep and pain level went from 10 to 1 or 2. Has been that way for the last 11 months. Now getting blisters and rash at application site. Going to doctor this week. Hope he doesn't take me off. Really not looking forward to the return of a painful life."

Happy man (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2014

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I have had chronic low back pain for 3 years. I have tried 30 injections, spinal cord stimulator, PT, oral meds, tens unit, etc. The Butrans patch is the 1st time I have had consistent relief ever! My pain without medicines is 8-9. I have pinched nerves that give me pain down both legs. I tried the 5,10, & 20 patch. All dosages lost effectiveness at the 5 day mark leaving me 2.5 days without relief. We finally found a 20mcg patch changed every 5 days is the magic dose. My pain levels stay between a 3 to 5. I have my life back and the only side effects I have is drowsiness. I sleep 4 or 5 hours a day plus a full night sleep!"

Candacewi5 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2014

For Pain "After a my injury turned from acute to chronic my Dr. prescribed 10mcg patch. I was very skeptical since a patch seems very non-traditional but I gotta say it worked terrific. You put the patch on once a week and forget about pain/pills till the next week. So effective and convenient that multiple times I have forgotten to change it after a week. Only downside is no hot tub/baths and no direct sunbathing, a bummer when you live on the CA coast! Also no tolerance issues, was on same dose with same results for 2years."

Maximus222 December 3, 2013

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "Butrans 20mg gave me my life back. The side effect's are nothing compared to how I feel now being on this patch. Don't have the drowsy side effects that all the pills give a person. Now every so often I get what the doctor calls break through pain, then I take pills, Norco, Metaxalone, Indomethacin etc. Honestly I take a Indomethacin every night before bedtime, love those also. All I know is before the patches I was on the couch all day every day. "

Love having my life back!! (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2013

For Chronic Pain "Have been on Percocet about twenty years, chronic low back and neck pain, leg pain, arthritis, bulging discs, impinged nerves. I have just learned to deal with it. A new dr gave me butans and put on patch last night, felt immediate rush, same feeling have gotten when have gotten iv morphine at hospital, worried it dispensed all the drug at once?? But I slept pain free for first time in about 25 yrs and Im at work now...have not yet started my day but I noticed I got in and out of car easily and walked to building without much pain for the first time ever...I am hoping it doesnt wear off quickly and have concerns it will eventually stop working. In 2007 was on fentynyl patch for several years, it stopped working over time"

snerd2123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2013

For Chronic Pain "I loved this at first. Was able to leave on for the full 7 days. The longer I left it on my skin started to itch. Now, still trying to use it, because it works so well, only can leave on for about 3 days before my skin is totally broke out. I am so disappointed because I'd rather not take pills."

Lolasmomma September 11, 2013

For Chronic Pain "Chronic back pain after a motor cycle accident years ago. A couple of months ago started out on 5 mg then 10 then 15 now 20 mg and its not offering much relief at all. Doctor says it should be helping he doesn't believe its not so stalemate."

squidley (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2013