User Reviews for Buprenorphine

Also known as: Buprenex, Butrans, Subutex

Learn more about Buprenorphine.

Opiate Dependence 67 reviews 7 medications

9.3
Pain 47 reviews 913 medications

8.1
Chronic Pain 38 reviews 102 medications

Summary of Buprenorphine reviews 152 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Buprenorphine

Review by caseyq (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Taking Butrans for 90 days....10 mg patch.....I love how it helps to control the highs and lows of sharp pain....keeps an evener feel

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by SouljaOfLove:

For Opiate Dependence: I've been on the Suboxone program for over 13 years. I am now weening once again but have had nothing but complete success on this medication. I would recommend it for anyone addicted to heroin or methadone or any opiate for that matter. A HUGE thumbs up!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 6:49 PM

Review by JakeFukk (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Pain: I have not been on it longer than 2 days yet. I have a weeks patch at 20mg. I have results but I'm still in some pain. My DR has told me to use a further 10mg patch! I will add this on Monday and write again.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 11:02 AM

Review by Agirlnamedpete (taken for less than 1 month):

Buprenex (buprenorphine) for Pain: My cat was given Buprenex oral after surgery. I'm assuming it worked on his pain but now that he's off of it he's "seeing ghosts in the house" and slinking around in fear. Hallucinations are one of the side effects. Just letting other pet parents know what can happen. I'm sure it will wear off but for now it's just upsetting to watch.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 10:06 AM

Review by PastAddict (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: Subutex saved my life hands down. I was an out of control opiate addict before I finally admitted my problem to my doctor. I was put on a Suboxone first, but had negative reactions to the naloxone in it (rashes and swelling). The Subutex was more effective too. I had to stop taking it cold turkey when I got pregnant and suffered some pretty rough withdrawals symptoms (nothing as bad as detoxing from oxycodone though). A few months ago I was diagnosed with a kidney stone and was prescribed opiates to treat the excruciating pain. I immediately started abusing them and found myself back in the clutches of addiction. I just got back on Subutex today. I'm so thankful for this medication. I know I can regain control of my life again!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by SubutexSAVEDmyLIFE:

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: This medication is God send. I have been an opiate addict for over 10 years. I have tried Methadone, Suboxone, being totally sober (which caused me to go insane as well as suicidal). I truly have hope for my future now and after about 14 years of searching to just feel "normal" I finally do. Within two weeks of getting my dosage correct my parents and friends could see a MAJOR difference in me, my attitude towards life, my appearance, my motivation and overall happiness.

September 27, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by bbrat:

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I never was into pills before but in 2009 I had a child and with all my kids I had to have a C-section. It started by me not being able to move out of bed and take care of my kids. I decided to take 3 x 500s Vicodin and that's when it took me right away. I started taking them everyday to get the pain to go away and for that energy. I had a 2 year old and a newborn and I was changing 2 diaper at once on Vicodin. I couldn't believe the energy. Anyways years later no kids, no house, no car, or anyone, my friend told me about Subutex and I went and tried it out and have been clean since Nov 2012 recently had another child in 2013 and I didn't even want any pain meds actually Subutex took my pain away more. This has truly changed my life

September 18, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by Wastooscaredtotrybutthen (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I was scared to try this but saw these reviews... I want to thank you all for easing my mind! I finally tried Butrans and am so thankful this exists. I have been on pain medication for a couple years. I was so tired of the constant ups and downs that seemed to come in shorter and shorter intervals. This patch works great! I'm in less pain, sleep better, and am finally getting off the couch and doing some things.

August 29, 2014 3:21 AM

Review by Arrowstar:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: This medication was fantastic for relieving pain. It was more effective than oxycodone or hydrocodone. I had absolutely no side effects but one. The one side effect was just too much to deal with. Basically, this medication took away all libido and initiative and motivation. On the positive side it made me feel relaxed, sedated, and a sense of well being with absolute 100% pain relief at all times, but I may as well have been a zombie. This medication made me not care about much. Normally having a high sex drive, I had no libido at all, lost complete interest in my salsa dance lessons, and zero interest in going out. That's not living life. I prefer to stick to my hydros in that case.

August 23, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Kaylee74 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: After 5 years on pain pills, 4 years injecting heroin, 2 years clean then a month long relapse, I went on the methadone clinic for 7 years. I never felt right, I'd feel dopesick by 10 pm (12 hours after 300 mg dose of methadone) I gained 100 pounds, had profuse sweating. The methadone clinic I went to wouldn't give me take homes due to my other scripts. So NO VACATION, standing in line at the clinic on Christmas morning. It sucked! So I was telling my Dr. Who just so happened to have a Subutex clinic. I went through the horrifying detox but am grateful I did. I feel free from the daily run to get dope or methadone. I have a monthly prescription and it feels like a life time ago that I went through all that. I have my life back.

July 18, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by desbibb:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Butrans changed my daily living. I loved what its done for me so, much that I have 2 other friends suffering and their Drs. have them on it now too. the only thing I don't like is the prickly itchy feeling but, after reading some of these review I may talk to my Dr. about their suggestions. also, I find that after the 1st 3 days I have had little to no side effects. I am sometimes able to push my days out to 8 as long as I don't overdue the week. otherwise I am ready by mid day of the 6th day and will often change it the very eve so, that by my 7th day I'm back up and running. hope this review helps i know when i went on it, the reviews were helpful to me.. thanks BUTRANS for my LIFE!!! if you have pain BUTRANS WORKS.

July 8, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by FibroRunner (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: My doctor first prescribed these for me at the 10mg dosage as many of her fibromyalgia patients did well on them. When I first started to use them, the side effects were awful: headaches, light headedness, dizzy spells that came on out of the blue, severe nausea. But after the first patch, the symptoms seemed to ease when I would place the patches on my thigh or arm. Then by the 2nd box I noticed they weren't doing anything for the pain. So my doctor up'ed the amount to 20mg. I started to take the first of those patches this week. Side effects were tripled. After going for a 4 mile run, I came home and felt like I was going to pass out. This turned into my vomiting violently for 20 minutes. Don't know that I'll continue; pain has dulled.

June 26, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Elise901:

For Chronic Pain: I wanted to say that I have been taking this medication for about 3 months now. To put it into perspective, I told my doctor that I had actually laughed the previous week. I have chronic pain from spinal arthritis, foot, knee, and leg pain from arthritis and spinal nerve pain from damage from shingles. I was miserable. I still have pain, and have to be careful not to overdo it, or I have break through pain. But this is a good thing because I don't want to do more damage to my joints. I take gabapentin for nerve pain. I wanted to say that my doc prescribed an asthma puffer to put medication on my skin before I apply the patch. I spray it on by depressing the puffer, and then spread it very gently. No rash. I forgot once and had blisters.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by KDHS:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Chronic back pain/three back surgeries. Medicine is only mildly useful. I have breakthrough pain every time I have to walk more than two or three minutes. I was told I shouldn't need anything besides this medicine, but that is NOT true. I am also having a skin reaction at the patch site. Before being given this medicine, I reminded my doctor that I have a problem with most bandage adhesives (only paper tape works), but she said this wouldn't be a problem. Wrong....I am getting blisters.

May 16, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Hum123 (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Excellent pain relief, but the side effects made it impossible to continue using it. My dosage was 10mcg. Severe hypersensitivity reactions within two weeks and had to go to ER three times and doctor twice, because of horrible allergic reactions: facial swelling, throat swelling and raw to the point of barely able to swallow and unable to speak, blood pressure and pulse skyrocketed, had to use Epi pen twice in 24-hours, scary. If a person doesn't have side effects with the patch, the pain relief is excellent. If a person has potentially life threatening side effects, as I did, the fact that the patch is providing pain relief is irrelevant.

May 14, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by Kennyshane:

For Opiate Dependence: It works better than Suboxone, Methadone and all others.

May 6, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by rayleneroyston (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Butrans has been a lifesaver for me. Without it I cant move.

March 20, 2014 12:53 AM

Review by Stepaside11:

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: In 2010, what started as some needed relief for back pain, the FL Pill Mill took me for a ride which almost cost me my life. Being prescribed 120 30mg Oxy/month to 15 months later being at 240 30mg Oxy and 90 40mg Opana ER. The damage I caused my family in that brief period was substantial, but the damage I did to myself was enormous. One day, looking in the mirror, I was scared into reality. How had I gone from 276lbs to 204lbs in 9 months? At that precise moment, I called a Subutex Dr and 48hrs later, in withdrawals I started Subutex. What transpired over the next 9 months was nothing short of a rebirth. In Jan 2012, I took my last 0.75mg dose of Subutex and with it, I flushed 690mg of Oxy and 360mg of Opana, left over from the day I started Subutex!

March 17, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Wow! For me this medicine is very effective. It only took 2 days for me to feel different. Seems that I'm always having this ache or that ache, but this is just unbelievable. If you are DIABETIC, I found that my blood sugar increased quite a bit.

March 17, 2014 9:25 AM

Review by Fyl of Riverside (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Pain: I have been on pain medicines since 1987 and an injury. I went through it all the way up to Lorcet. Then when they found out I had a liver condition, they switched me over to Butrans. About 30 minutes after taking it, I was out of pain, but I was also in a newer state of mind. On my previous pain killers, I assumed they were working. But with Butrans, once it hit me, I was VERY aware of being on a narcotic. NO pain and a nice buzz on the side. Thank You to Butrans.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by Happy man (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Pain: Had back surgery in 2000. 3 rods 6 screws and bone put in L4 L5 S1. Had severe pain for 12 years. No sleep, ( 3 1/2 to 5 hours a night). No energy, seldom in good mood because of the pain. Sometimes down for 3 weeks at a time. Began Butrans 10 mcg last year and man what a difference. First week was getting 7 hours sleep and pain level went from 10 to 1 or 2. Has been that way for the last 11 months. Now getting blisters and rash at application site. Going to doctor this week. Hope he doesn't take me off. Really not looking forward to the return of a painful life.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2014 10:26 PM

Review by Tia the dancer:

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I've suffered from nerve damage for 10 years. I've taken most all the medications prescribed for pain. I've always needed to up my dose after short periods of time. I finally got tired of it not being able to function because the amount need to take the pain away would make me loopy or high. So I was put on methadone. Took that for 6 years still needing to up my dose 1-2 times a year. At end I was taking 12 pills a day. Found a doctor who suggested Subutex. I now have been on Subutex for 1 1/2 years not needing to raise my dose. I'm taking 20 mg or 2 1/2 pills a day compared to 12 pills a day. Insurance fights me every 6 months saying it's only for addicts. I submit extra paperwork from my doctor. It's quite expensive too but worth it.

February 23, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Candacewi5 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I have had chronic low back pain for 3 years. I have tried 30 injections, spinal cord stimulator, PT, oral meds, tens unit, etc. The Butrans patch is the 1st time I have had consistent relief ever! My pain without medicines is 8-9. I have pinched nerves that give me pain down both legs. I tried the 5,10, & 20 patch. All dosages lost effectiveness at the 5 day mark leaving me 2.5 days without relief. We finally found a 20mcg patch changed every 5 days is the magic dose. My pain levels stay between a 3 to 5. I have my life back and the only side effects I have is drowsiness. I sleep 4 or 5 hours a day plus a full night sleep!

January 9, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Maximus222:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Pain: After a my injury turned from acute to chronic my Dr. prescribed 10mcg patch. I was very skeptical since a patch seems very non-traditional but I gotta say it worked terrific. You put the patch on once a week and forget about pain/pills till the next week. So effective and convenient that multiple times I have forgotten to change it after a week. Only downside is no hot tub/baths and no direct sunbathing, a bummer when you live on the CA coast! Also no tolerance issues, was on same dose with same results for 2years.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2013 8:10 PM

Review by Love having my life back!! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Butrans 20mg gave me my life back. The side effect's are nothing compared to how I feel now being on this patch. Don't have the drowsy side effects that all the pills give a person. Now every so often I get what the doctor calls break through pain, then I take pills, Norco, Metaxalone, Indomethacin etc. Honestly I take a Indomethacin every night before bedtime, love those also. All I know is before the patches I was on the couch all day every day.

November 14, 2013 8:13 PM