User Reviews for Buprenorphine

Also known as: Buprenex, Butrans, Subutex

Learn more about Buprenorphine.

Opiate Dependence 64 reviews 7 medications

9.3
Pain 45 reviews 912 medications

Chronic Pain 36 reviews 102 medications

Summary of Buprenorphine reviews 145 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Buprenorphine

Review by Wastooscaredtotrybutthen (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I was scared to try this but saw these reviews... I want to thank you all for easing my mind! I finally tried Butrans and am so thankful this exists. I have been on pain medication for a couple years. I was so tired of the constant ups and downs that seemed to come in shorter and shorter intervals. This patch works great! I'm in less pain, sleep better, and am finally getting off the couch and doing some things.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 3:21 AM

Review by Arrowstar:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: This medication was fantastic for relieving pain. It was more effective than oxycodone or hydrocodone. I had absolutely no side effects but one. The one side effect was just too much to deal with. Basically, this medication took away all libido and initiative and motivation. On the positive side it made me feel relaxed, sedated, and a sense of well being with absolute 100% pain relief at all times, but I may as well have been a zombie. This medication made me not care about much. Normally having a high sex drive, I had no libido at all, lost complete interest in my salsa dance lessons, and zero interest in going out. That's not living life. I prefer to stick to my hydros in that case.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Kaylee74 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: After 5 years on pain pills, 4 years injecting heroin, 2 years clean then a month long relapse, I went on the methadone clinic for 7 years. I never felt right, I'd feel dopesick by 10 pm (12 hours after 300 mg dose of methadone) I gained 100 pounds, had profuse sweating. The methadone clinic I went to wouldn't give me take homes due to my other scripts. So NO VACATION, standing in line at the clinic on Christmas morning. It sucked! So I was telling my Dr. Who just so happened to have a Subutex clinic. I went through the horrifying detox but am grateful I did. I feel free from the daily run to get dope or methadone. I have a monthly prescription and it feels like a life time ago that I went through all that. I have my life back.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by desbibb:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Butrans changed my daily living. I loved what its done for me so, much that I have 2 other friends suffering and their Drs. have them on it now too. the only thing I don't like is the prickly itchy feeling but, after reading some of these review I may talk to my Dr. about their suggestions. also, I find that after the 1st 3 days I have had little to no side effects. I am sometimes able to push my days out to 8 as long as I don't overdue the week. otherwise I am ready by mid day of the 6th day and will often change it the very eve so, that by my 7th day I'm back up and running. hope this review helps i know when i went on it, the reviews were helpful to me.. thanks BUTRANS for my LIFE!!! if you have pain BUTRANS WORKS.

July 8, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by FibroRunner (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: My doctor first prescribed these for me at the 10mg dosage as many of her fibromyalgia patients did well on them. When I first started to use them, the side effects were awful: headaches, light headedness, dizzy spells that came on out of the blue, severe nausea. But after the first patch, the symptoms seemed to ease when I would place the patches on my thigh or arm. Then by the 2nd box I noticed they weren't doing anything for the pain. So my doctor up'ed the amount to 20mg. I started to take the first of those patches this week. Side effects were tripled. After going for a 4 mile run, I came home and felt like I was going to pass out. This turned into my vomiting violently for 20 minutes. Don't know that I'll continue; pain has dulled.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Elise901:

For Chronic Pain: I wanted to say that I have been taking this medication for about 3 months now. To put it into perspective, I told my doctor that I had actually laughed the previous week. I have chronic pain from spinal arthritis, foot, knee, and leg pain from arthritis and spinal nerve pain from damage from shingles. I was miserable. I still have pain, and have to be careful not to overdo it, or I have break through pain. But this is a good thing because I don't want to do more damage to my joints. I take gabapentin for nerve pain. I wanted to say that my doc prescribed an asthma puffer to put medication on my skin before I apply the patch. I spray it on by depressing the puffer, and then spread it very gently. No rash. I forgot once and had blisters.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by KDHS:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Chronic back pain/three back surgeries. Medicine is only mildly useful. I have breakthrough pain every time I have to walk more than two or three minutes. I was told I shouldn't need anything besides this medicine, but that is NOT true. I am also having a skin reaction at the patch site. Before being given this medicine, I reminded my doctor that I have a problem with most bandage adhesives (only paper tape works), but she said this wouldn't be a problem. Wrong....I am getting blisters.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Hum123 (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Excellent pain relief, but the side effects made it impossible to continue using it. My dosage was 10mcg. Severe hypersensitivity reactions within two weeks and had to go to ER three times and doctor twice, because of horrible allergic reactions: facial swelling, throat swelling and raw to the point of barely able to swallow and unable to speak, blood pressure and pulse skyrocketed, had to use Epi pen twice in 24-hours, scary. If a person doesn't have side effects with the patch, the pain relief is excellent. If a person has potentially life threatening side effects, as I did, the fact that the patch is providing pain relief is irrelevant.

May 14, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by Kennyshane:

For Opiate Dependence: It works better than Suboxone, Methadone and all others.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by rayleneroyston (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Butrans has been a lifesaver for me. Without it I cant move.

March 20, 2014 12:53 AM

Review by Stepaside11:

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: In 2010, what started as some needed relief for back pain, the FL Pill Mill took me for a ride which almost cost me my life. Being prescribed 120 30mg Oxy/month to 15 months later being at 240 30mg Oxy and 90 40mg Opana ER. The damage I caused my family in that brief period was substantial, but the damage I did to myself was enormous. One day, looking in the mirror, I was scared into reality. How had I gone from 276lbs to 204lbs in 9 months? At that precise moment, I called a Subutex Dr and 48hrs later, in withdrawals I started Subutex. What transpired over the next 9 months was nothing short of a rebirth. In Jan 2012, I took my last 0.75mg dose of Subutex and with it, I flushed 690mg of Oxy and 360mg of Opana, left over from the day I started Subutex!

March 17, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Wow! For me this medicine is very effective. It only took 2 days for me to feel different. Seems that I'm always having this ache or that ache, but this is just unbelievable. If you are DIABETIC, I found that my blood sugar increased quite a bit.

March 17, 2014 9:25 AM

Review by Fyl of Riverside (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Pain: I have been on pain medicines since 1987 and an injury. I went through it all the way up to Lorcet. Then when they found out I had a liver condition, they switched me over to Butrans. About 30 minutes after taking it, I was out of pain, but I was also in a newer state of mind. On my previous pain killers, I assumed they were working. But with Butrans, once it hit me, I was VERY aware of being on a narcotic. NO pain and a nice buzz on the side. Thank You to Butrans.

March 12, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by Happy man (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Pain: Had back surgery in 2000. 3 rods 6 screws and bone put in L4 L5 S1. Had severe pain for 12 years. No sleep, ( 3 1/2 to 5 hours a night). No energy, seldom in good mood because of the pain. Sometimes down for 3 weeks at a time. Began Butrans 10 mcg last year and man what a difference. First week was getting 7 hours sleep and pain level went from 10 to 1 or 2. Has been that way for the last 11 months. Now getting blisters and rash at application site. Going to doctor this week. Hope he doesn't take me off. Really not looking forward to the return of a painful life.

March 8, 2014 10:26 PM

Review by Tia the dancer:

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I've suffered from nerve damage for 10 years. I've taken most all the medications prescribed for pain. I've always needed to up my dose after short periods of time. I finally got tired of it not being able to function because the amount need to take the pain away would make me loopy or high. So I was put on methadone. Took that for 6 years still needing to up my dose 1-2 times a year. At end I was taking 12 pills a day. Found a doctor who suggested Subutex. I now have been on Subutex for 1 1/2 years not needing to raise my dose. I'm taking 20 mg or 2 1/2 pills a day compared to 12 pills a day. Insurance fights me every 6 months saying it's only for addicts. I submit extra paperwork from my doctor. It's quite expensive too but worth it.

February 23, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Candacewi5 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I have had chronic low back pain for 3 years. I have tried 30 injections, spinal cord stimulator, PT, oral meds, tens unit, etc. The Butrans patch is the 1st time I have had consistent relief ever! My pain without medicines is 8-9. I have pinched nerves that give me pain down both legs. I tried the 5,10, & 20 patch. All dosages lost effectiveness at the 5 day mark leaving me 2.5 days without relief. We finally found a 20mcg patch changed every 5 days is the magic dose. My pain levels stay between a 3 to 5. I have my life back and the only side effects I have is drowsiness. I sleep 4 or 5 hours a day plus a full night sleep!

January 9, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Maximus222:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Pain: After a my injury turned from acute to chronic my Dr. prescribed 10mcg patch. I was very skeptical since a patch seems very non-traditional but I gotta say it worked terrific. You put the patch on once a week and forget about pain/pills till the next week. So effective and convenient that multiple times I have forgotten to change it after a week. Only downside is no hot tub/baths and no direct sunbathing, a bummer when you live on the CA coast! Also no tolerance issues, was on same dose with same results for 2years.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2013 8:10 PM

Review by Love having my life back!! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Butrans 20mg gave me my life back. The side effect's are nothing compared to how I feel now being on this patch. Don't have the drowsy side effects that all the pills give a person. Now every so often I get what the doctor calls break through pain, then I take pills, Norco, Metaxalone, Indomethacin etc. Honestly I take a Indomethacin every night before bedtime, love those also. All I know is before the patches I was on the couch all day every day.

November 14, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by snerd2123 (taken for less than 1 month):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Have been on Percocet about twenty years, chronic low back and neck pain, leg pain, arthritis, bulging discs, impinged nerves. I have just learned to deal with it. A new dr gave me butans and put on patch last night, felt immediate rush, same feeling have gotten when have gotten iv morphine at hospital, worried it dispensed all the drug at once?? But I slept pain free for first time in about 25 yrs and Im at work now...have not yet started my day but I noticed I got in and out of car easily and walked to building without much pain for the first time ever...I am hoping it doesnt wear off quickly and have concerns it will eventually stop working. In 2007 was on fentynyl patch for several years, it stopped working over time

November 13, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by darren68:

For Opiate Dependence: Up until just a week ago I was taking 20 x 12/500 over the counter painkillers every morning in one go! I've been addicted to codeine for about 10 years..I woke up one morning and decided to call my doctor and finally admit to my addiction..she referred me to my local support agency. The doctor there put me on one daily 8Mg buprenorphine tablet. I haven't looked back since. Although they do make you drowsy and a bit nauseas it soon wears off. If you are fed up of the embarrassment of forever finding a chemist to buy your painkillers then bite the bullet and get help, honestly you'll never look back! Good luck

November 4, 2013 2:18 AM

Review by Manda78 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Opiate Dependence: I have been clean for 20 months now. Before taking Subutex, I could not get clean, I tried for 15 years even having 2 sets of implants with no success. I thought this program was for people who did not want to get off heroin. I was so wrong. I am now at 2.6mg from 24mg and I have never been happier or more content with my life. Being on such a low dose, I do wake up some mornings with a backache and pains in my legs and a clammy throat and sneezing and a general unwell feeling. But this all goes away within minutes of coming back from the chemist daily. The feelings of sickness I experience, are not even close to that of withdrawing from heroin without this program. Don't take a second thought about Subutex, I highly recommend its success.

October 9, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by Archie 19 (taken for less than 1 month):

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: Day 5 off Subutex after a quick 2 week detox. Day 3 was the worst upset stomach, aching legs and the lack of sleep but that's about it, nothing to be scared about it's all cope able, hot baths and paracetamol. Just don't listen to the horror stories, if done correctly it's doable. Good luck.

October 2, 2013 2:22 AM

Review by Lolasmomma:

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: I loved this at first. Was able to leave on for the full 7 days. The longer I left it on my skin started to itch. Now, still trying to use it, because it works so well, only can leave on for about 3 days before my skin is totally broke out. I am so disappointed because I'd rather not take pills.

September 11, 2013 3:26 PM

Review by Krobo72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Pain: Use BUPRENORPHINE for atypical trigeminal neuralgia and the usual anticonvulsants regime (Trileptal, gabapentin, etc.) and pain is 1-2. For six years and four surgeries and an average pain of 7-8, BUPRENORPHINE is a miracle.

August 23, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by squidley (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Butrans (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: Chronic back pain after a motor cycle accident years ago. A couple of months ago started out on 5 mg then 10 then 15 now 20 mg and its not offering much relief at all. Doctor says it should be helping he doesn't believe its not so stalemate.

August 21, 2013 9:25 AM