User Reviews for Suboxone

Learn more about Suboxone.

Suboxone review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Suboxone to treat Opiate Dependence

Review by Darrlell:

Sweats and constipation

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2014 5:53 AM

Review by AM1492 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

To anyone looking to get on Suboxone to overcome opiate addiction - DO IT!! I've been on Suboxone for 15 months now & have gone from 20mg to 2 mgs literally painlessly. The first time I took it I knew within an hr I had found what I needed to get that damn monkey off my back. A slow yet STEADY taper is important. There's no reason a person can't easily drop 2mgs a mo. down to about 4mg. If it's making you sleepy, time to taper! It gets a bit slower once you get lower but still not hard at all. Once you get to about 3mg you almost have an awakening! You get more energy, and start to LOVE music and conversation again. I would say that those are the biggest side effects - sleepiness (taper!), and slight emotional dullness.

July 11, 2014 8:45 AM

Review by Riggs (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This medicine has saved my life and changed my life drastically. I never thought I would be able to get off heroin. I have a awesome life now and I think if you really want to get clean and not be high from methadone then Suboxone is what you need.

July 8, 2014 11:17 PM

Review by atxnative:

I was addicted to all opiates for 17 years. The last 2 years I was spending about $4000 a month. Made $60,000 a year and couldn't even pay my bills. It got real bad! A friend of mine told me about Suboxone and the rest is history! It truly saved my life. For the first time in my life I have money in a savings account. Suboxone works, as long as you want to quit.

July 1, 2014 2:45 PM

Review by daisy18 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was a heroin addict for about 5 years and have used methadone and Suboxone maintenance. I have been on Suboxone for five months and like methadone it is working well to keep me off heroin. But I do want to comment on side effects of both medications that are not mentioned often enough. As far as methadone went, my boyfriend and I had no sex drive. And on Suboxone, I have a great sex drive, but have a very difficult time climaxing. My boyfriend is also experiencing sexual side effects from Suboxone. He has no sex drive and has a difficult time getting an erection and even harder time climaxing. I think these are side effects people need to be aware of while deciding on a method of treatment.

June 15, 2014 5:06 PM

Review by ehh80 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have struggled with opiate addiction for 6 years, for which I've taken Suboxone for 4 separate rounds of treatment. The longest clean times I have ever had throughout this time is when I was on Subutex or Suboxone (I have used both). I cannot say enough great things about this medicine, it has truly saved my life. I am off of it now, and I had NO issues weaning off....it must be done thoroughly, slowly and patiently. The biggest mistake is people trying to stop at 2mg, which is still a high dose. One must go all the way down to an almost crumb/sliver of a piece of pill or strip. If following protocol in a program, you can successfully come off of it.

June 5, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by Peter K Important Information:

My wife and I have been on Suboxone for about 2 years. We have linked obesity to the side effects. Suboxone drastically slows down your digestive track. It's not limited to just the digestion track. Anyone taking Suboxone will notice a number of things, In males the number of sperm released is also greatly affected. In Humans Suboxone does something to the human body that restricts dilatation of vascular digestive function in tube like organs. The vas deferens during ejaculation, prostate control, (premature ejaculation), sphincter dilation, and lower digestive track speeds. People will gain weight over time.

June 4, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by The Fish (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been back and forth from rehabs, to meetings, to sobriety, and back. I understand some of the reviews about the long term use, it's like not wanting to peel off the bandaid. The truth is that the wound under my bandaid wasn't healed. It was some what of a security for me. The security was as long as I had urges I stayed on ( one strip was the highest I ever went) I wanted sobriety in the worst way and had great responsibilities in my life that a relapse would take away. I stayed on for a little over a year and the majority of the time I was on a super slow taper- taking one away per month. Before I knew it I was off and had a great fellowship a list of meetings a car a wife and a house.

June 2, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by sophie111777:

I don't understand people staying on this medicine for years. 2 weeks should be enough, It gets you through the withdrawals without causing another addiction. If your really ready to stop using an 1/8 of the strip or pill will be enough, 3 of those should get you off the hard stuff. If your not at a high dose in your addiction, if you swallow your medicine and don't use needles, you can use less, it will make you sick if you are not careful. This is a great way to end your addiction, but be wise, don't start another one.

May 21, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by FLS7691 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seriously is a wonder medicine if you are truly ready to stop.

May 11, 2014 9:45 PM

Review by KrissyRyJPnGFam:

I was a heroin addict for the past 5 years. I was in and out of detox 6-7 times. I never wanted to be on Suboxone outside of detox, because of the horror stories I had heard. This medication saved my life. I got clean on January 1 of this year (checked into detox, again, on Dec 31-- yes, New Years Eve). I decided this time to stay on the medication following discharge. It has completely changed my life. I am still clean, on a low dose and tapering off at a pace that's comfortable for me, I didn't sleep for maybe 2 weeks after returning home, but that was due to the fact that heroin used to put me to sleep. I am a mother to my son and daughter again thanks to Suboxone.

May 7, 2014 7:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Used pain medicines for 14 years (fentanyl 40 mcg and lortab 10mg). Excellent results after using Suboxone.

May 3, 2014 8:20 PM

Review by Do/It/N/Get/Ur/Life/Back!! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

To answer Whynotme's question and anyone else who is questioning Suboxone in your first few days of taking it... we are all different and our bodies react differently to certain things and at different times. So if you just started taking Suboxone and aren't feeling 100%, no worries, you soon will. The first few days for me were rough. First, I was violently vomiting because of the strength (I was addicted to 10mg Vicodins, about 3-5 per day for well over 5 yrs). So Suboxone was kinda strong for me. Second, I didn't feel fantastic right away but very soon after, I felt better than that. I got my life back, finishing up 2 yr degree, and feel great! Do it and get your life back!

April 30, 2014 3:00 AM

Review by MontanaMountainGuy:

Suboxone saved my life I reckon, I owe my life to it I surely do.

April 4, 2014 2:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am a 31 yr old executive professional... 6 yrs ago I was making great money and partying all the time. 65 Norcos a day by my 3rd year, I found a Suboxone doctor (pretty tough to find in my area three yrs ago) and began taking it. The best day of my life was finding Suboxone. I've been on Suboxone 3 yrs but now I've begun tapering and within a year I should be off completely. Find a doctor and change your life today.

March 27, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by Kerouac72:

I just started this a few days ago. I'm an executive professional, rose in corporate ranks, made great money, and enjoyed a ridiculous life. After being way over-prescribed oxycodonne after a relatively minor injury in my mid 30's, fast forward 3yrs and my arrogance in thinking I could control this along with everything else made me blind to a growing addiction that was anything but controlled. I was able to keep my girlfriend, my kids, my job, and still provide them with a decent home. So, I consider myself very lucky to be on the verge of bankruptcy as many have lost much more. I say this to let anyone know who is considering Suboxone, but too ashamed or worried, to DO IT TODAY. It truly works.

March 8, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by Giveittimetoseethemiracle:

I was addicted to pain killers for about 8 years. I tried cold turkey and outpatient treatment. That worked for a while but I found myself right back. I heard about Suboxone. I found a Dr. (I had no insurance) and made an appointment. I won't lie to you, it isn't easy. You have to go cold turkey for at least 24 hours before you take the medicines, and then you feel a lot better. After a week or so I felt great! With this medicine I got my life back. It saved me. I was on it for about a year and half. One warning when you do finally come off Suboxone.. It's hard it's about a month withdrawal. Totally worth it in my opinion.

March 3, 2014 4:19 AM

Review by Ffrenchstar:

Currently on 28mg of Suboxone a day which is keeping the cravings at bay and my general mood is better/ more stable. This medicine has changed my life. Not looking forward to when the time comes that I have to get off it but I don't think that will be for years so just concentrating on the here and now.

February 26, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by Amdawn (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am 39 years old and I was addicted to pain medication for almost 20 years. I have chronic back pain and I was prescribed everything from 80 mgs of Oxycontin, 40 mgs of Opana, 30 mgs of Oxycodone, to 150 micrograms of Fentanyl. I would go to the hospital for IV Dilaudid. I was a mess. No matter how many pills I was prescribed I never ever made them last so I would spend tons of money buying them on the street. I finally had enough and now I am taking 16mg of Suboxone a day and I feel great! Today I am 6 months sober.

February 26, 2014 8:20 AM

Review by ocean661 (taken for less than 1 month):

Been on Suboxone for 4 days now. I don't feel great but the cravings are gone.

February 22, 2014 9:06 AM

Review by Didie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I became addicted to Opiates when I started having chronic pain. I would do anything to get my pills for the day. I lost everything because of my addiction. No way did I believe there was anything out there that could not only help me while I was going through withdrawal, but also keep the cravings way when I was recovering. Suboxone and my Suboxone Dr. have saved my life. Not only do they help with cravings, but they also help my ongoing pain. I need to use the Suboxone pills rather than the film as I have dental problems and the films hurt my gums, but other than that I have had no side effects and I continue to use them today. I am 5 years sober.

February 15, 2014 12:17 AM

Review by suboxonesaves:

I was an addict for 10 years and Suboxone saved my life period, and my families lives. Totally clean for over 3 years its a miracle. It's impossible to quit without it its easy to quit with it. I was as bad as it gets. If you are thinking of getting on Suboxone do it. Just do it life is so good when you are not forced to chase pills.

February 5, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Whynotme80:

I've only taken the Suboxone for two days now, waiting for this "miracle" everyone is talking about to happen. Started 8mg yesterday after a month of trying the methadone treatment that made me feel awful. Withdrew appropriately as to not cause precipitated withdrawal, and was even worse yesterday than when I has tried cold turkey on my own. Deep depression. Today, 12mg. Still waiting to feel good, still waiting to not have cravings, still waiting to stop crying. I'm paid up for two weeks, this needs to be the answer. Everyone is saying they felt amazing the first day, doesn't anyone struggle the first few and then feel amazing? I don't want to hold my breath, but I really need this to be my answer too.

February 4, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by Crews1975:

I started taking Suboxone about six years ago because I had a problem with Roxicodone and Vicodin. I highly recommend taking Suboxone if you are prone to taking opiate oriented narcotics. My life hasn't ever been in more control than it is now. I'm also attending a Suboxone support group.

February 3, 2014 11:32 AM

Review by Eich:

I find Suboxone to be the answer to my prayers. This medicine keeps me on the straight and narrow and am VERY proud of myself.

February 2, 2014 8:29 PM