User Reviews for Pylera

6.6
Summary of Pylera reviews 28 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Pylera

Review by sicktomystomach:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Had hard time pretty much since second day. Some people stated you should eat first. Unfortunately, that makes me want to vomit after taking it. No diarrhea (I took probiotics and ate activia), but weird stools (very dark and frequent). I think my bowels are empty at this point. Appetite gone. Lost almost 10 pds. Difficulty sleeping due to nausea and gas pains. Threw up twice. Little energy. Headaches. Feeling stressed and somewhat depressed at times. Crying bouts in middle of night. What I described wasn't constant. It came and went throughout the day, but nights were hardest for some reason. Tomorrow is final day. Can you survive it? Yes. Is it hard? For sure. If h.pylori is gone, then it's worth it. Be strong.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by Mel me (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I completed the 10 days of Pylera on September 18. The first few days were not too bad, though like others think, the sheer number of pills each day is Inconvenient and overwhelming---especially when you take other meds as well. On or about the 4th day, things changed. I was able to go to work, but the last 6 days were really hard: explosive diarrhea, headaches, bloat, gas, extreme fatigue, irritability, inexplicable crying bouts and loss of appetite. I felt a bit better the first few days after the medication was finished, but now one week later, I am still experiencing the side effects! I feel worse than when I started the meds. When does it stop? Please share experiences.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2014 3:09 PM

Review by Erica s:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: The first two days, I felt alright. I drank a lot of water with my doses. (About 16oz) On day three, I panicked because my urine was really dark and wasted a bunch of time in the ER to find nothing wrong with me but needing to drink a little more water that day. From day 4 till the very end, I felt exhausted and queasy in the mornings took forever to get motivated to do anything. Luckily, I'm on summer break! I read a lot on here that people took probiotics, but my pharmacist said that Calcium would interfere with absorption so I didn't. I eliminated all dairy to make sure there were no interferences. My last dose was yesterday morning and I have gas building up now- I'm guessing its from reintroducing the dairy into my diet?

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 6:18 PM

Review by Janie00 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I've been off of Pylera for 5 days, and just now feeling a little better. The worst has been diarrhea/loose stool for 14 days. Tested negative for C-Diff, thank God. The nausea and fatigue were also just as bad. I went on pro-biotics 2x daily and a yogurt a day right after treatment. I still have strong urges to use the bathroom as soon as I get up, but things appear to be slowing down. I am on 3 different ointments due to fissure/hemorrhoid, and still feeling fatigued. Worst treatment I have ever experienced, but had little choice after Prepak failure. I give it a "1" only in terms of side effects. If my UBT comes back negative at the end of the month, I give it a "10." My suffering was then worth it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by Ritzi:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Horrible experience! First half of treatment was manageable but not pleasant. Day 8 was by far the hardest with extreme nausea, dizziness, heart flutters, bloat, and the usual diarrhea. For day 9 I battled with the thought of taking the pills for an hour. I felt like I was playing Russian roulette. Sitting here waiting for the agony. Day 10 can't get here soon enough! However, I'm thinking anyone who has undergone chemotherapy must think I'm such a wimp!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by stucky30 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: It's three days after finishing the tenth day of taking Pylera. The first four days of taking the medication, I felt no side effects. On days five through ten, I was nauseous, dizzy, and had a headache, especially right after taking my daily doses. I took the medicine with a meal three times a day and with a light snack before bed. Stools also turned a dark greenish color and were often irregular throughout the day bordering on diarrhea. Also had a feeling of uneasiness, like a panic attack, right after taking the medicine on three occasions. I'll have to check with my doctor to confirm if the H. pylori has been eradicated and also wait a few weeks to see if my ulcers heal (which I've read can take from a few weeks to a few months).

May 25, 2014 3:09 PM

Review by Nikki2320 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: *UPDATE* The Pylera worked! The bacteria has been eradicated! I completed my 10 day treatment on April 7, 2014. The only side effect was some mild nausea (I just ate a little more) and a bad taste in my mouth (lots of sugar-free gum). I am waiting 30 says to test to see if the bug is gone. I will come back on here with the results of the endoscopy.

May 21, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by Nikki2320 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I stated that I would come back to this site with the results of my endoscopy after taking Pylera and the bacteria has been eradicated. Pylera worked for me!! I am a very satisfied customer. I hope this review will be helpful to others. Hang in there if you are taking it and having a rough time.

May 20, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Mara1966:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Ten long days. Too many pills; just finish treatment today. Side effects are bad. EAT WELL BEFORE PILLS AND MAKE SURE YOU DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER.

May 5, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by Minny25:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Today is my 9th day on this medication, the first day I had no symptoms as the days went by it got worse very nauseous everyday after that, I am extremely tired and have a metal taste in my mouth all day that makes me even more sick to my stomach, I recommend chewing gum, some cramping and black stool. I hope this medicine takes care of the problem. Taking breathing test in a month, fingers crossed.

April 29, 2014 8:11 PM

Review by :(hpylori:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I didn't like taking this medicine. Felt anxious. Very nauseous in am and lightheaded. Been off for six days and I am bloated and very gassy. Is this normal? I hope it worked, it's my third attempt. Two prevpac failed.

November 1, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by austin_techie:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I was diagnosed with peptic ulcer and the cause was H.Pylori. I was given Pylera. I have had a few discomfort but overall everything went well. Yesterday was the 10th day. I took Pro biotic supplement twice a day. The stool was little dark and greenish but nothing like black. May be the Probiotic helped. No Diarrhea and the stool was very thick. I did feel very weak during the day and feverish for the first few days. My mouth was bitter and even the water tasted bitter. I am glad I completed my course but will have to do breath test in a month to see if this medicine eradicated the culprit from my body. I took pantoprazole with Pylera in the morning after breakfast and after Dinner. I will be taking probiotic for the next 10 days.

October 2, 2013 3:41 PM

Review by Hvhtech:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: On my 5th day of treatment. The bloating and discomfort in my stomach is pretty intense. I hope I can follow through with my course of medication. My doctor did not mention to take a probiotic while on medicines. I will ask tomorrow and hope I get an answer. I have already called once asking if this feeling is from the medication or the upper endoscopy .

June 4, 2013 11:41 PM

Review by Ola O:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: It's my 10th day. The first 3 days I hag a general feeling of being ill, like all was not well, but I couldn't place my hands on the illness, but I was strong enough to work. I felt slightly lethargic and had a metallic taste in my mouth which my pharmacist had warned me about. I didn't feel nauseous, but by the 4th day I woke up feeling good and bursting with energy and felt like my body was asking for the next dose close to the time of taking the next dose. I ate a good meal before each dose and it made decreased any feeling of unease. My stool is black, a lot more and are like coffee grounds. I wish my doctor had told me about taking probiotics to replace good bacteria.

May 28, 2013 10:47 AM

Review by HPisThineEnemy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: After reading message boards, I became so freaked out at the thought of going on Pylera, I waited 5 days before starting the regimen, but boy am I glad that I did because on day 4 my brain came back and by day 6 I was really feeling a lot better. I'm not going to lie. It was very intense. It was almost like I could feel the war going on inside of me between the pills and the bacteria, but knowing the medicine was eradicating this hideous thing made it palpable.

April 6, 2013 5:50 PM

Review by Difficult to take (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I'm on day 5 and it's starting to become difficult to take. I'm having quite a bit of nausea. I'll try taking this with ondansetron to see if it reduces some of the nausea.

March 25, 2013 5:08 PM

Review by Knoxville (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I was on a ten day treatment taking three pills four times a day. I was also taking Omeprazole twice daily. It helped a lot as far as the sickness and nausea go. Dark urine and stool was about the only side effect I experienced except for dry mouth during the night. The key is to make sure you eat plenty before each dose. Do NOT eat or drink dairy while taking it. I made that mistake one time and that's all it took. Other than that I felt pretty good. I will also suggest a good brand of probiotic to take daily as well. It was a tough ten days but I believe it's well worth it.

March 2, 2013 5:59 PM

Review by Jolly Rancher (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I have been taking this medicine for about 4 days now. I constantly have dry mouth and makes me feel ill the majority of the day. Do eat a full meal when taking it, makes the feeling not as bad. I feel best on the last dose because I know I'm going to bed. Hopefully I will feel better as the time goes on. I don't really mind taking the 14 pills a day, I just want it to go by quick.

January 15, 2013 6:48 PM

Review by Mr Nice:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Before I started my treatment with Pylera I read the reviews; quite honestly I was terrified and almost did not take the medicine out of fear of experience these side effects. My experience with Pylera: I am on my 6th day and I have not experienced anything besides a slight headache in the morning that goes away as soon as I drink water. My symptoms have almost gone away entirely, and I feel much better. It is a pain in rear to have to take 14 pills a day and not be able to drink alcohol and milk products (both my favorite) but if it is the price for making this feeling of having a wet sock in my chest, I will gladly pay it.

December 10, 2012 11:37 AM

Review by anonymous 11989:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: My experience with this medication has been awful. I'm on my 10th day but I have missed 5 doses. This medication made me so sick I had to go to the emergency room. Severe headache, nausea, bloating, black stool and urine. You are suppose to eat with it but I couldn't because of the bloating. Which in turn made me sick because I wasn't eating. I have completely stopped taking the medication in the hopes that the H Pylori is gone.

May 23, 2012 1:48 AM

Review by 444:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I finished full 10 days of that medicine, doctor did not tell me about anything about probiotics, so right after taking Pylera I have some issues with my bowel movement, had constipation for a while, did colonoscopy and still can not figure out what is wrong with me. Having constant pain under left rib, doing more tests going from family doctor to gastroenterologist. I would recommend, before taking Pylera medication, do a deep research on side effects, because with bad bacteria, your colon's good bacteria gets killed as well as bad once.

December 30, 2011 1:56 PM

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I felt pretty bad for the first couple days. What really helped me was eating a full meal before each dose. On the dose that you take before bed I ate a banana, dry toast and kefir probiotics drink. This really helped me not to feel nauseous in the morning. I also took a probiotics tablet in the morning. I drank a lot of water and chewed gum for the metallic taste. If you stick with it the medicine will work. My doctor had me continue on the probiotics after finishing these medicines.

December 9, 2011 12:20 PM

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I have been taking Pylera for 6 days and besides dry mouth general feeling of being ill I noticed my tongue is getting dark (a known side effect) this is a very difficult medication to take for 10 days, however, I will continue in hopes the H. Pylori bacteria will be eradicated.

October 26, 2011 3:00 AM

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: The dosage I was given is 1 Pylera 4 times per day and I am still in treatment- only have some nausea but it goes away. Will see about effectiveness after I confirm that it took care of the problem, when treatment is completed. Hope this helps.

May 16, 2010 6:03 PM

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I don't really know how to rate a medicine; I just share my experience. My doctor warned me that this antibiotic is very harsh and I might feel bad during the course. However, I am taking it for 8 days, and the only side effect I encountered is a bitter taste in my mouth, but it's not a problem. I just drink a lot and chew gum when it gets REALLY bitter. I am of a slim and petite complexion (100 lb only), so I expected to have bad side effects, but I feel quite normal. Also I am eating well before taking medicines (more veggies), drink lots of water, take strong probiotics (50 billion), and drink organic KEFIR with live culture before going to bed and taking bedtime portion of Pylera.

April 20, 2010 9:18 PM

More about Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline)

Professional resources