User Reviews for Baclofen

Also known as: Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal, Lioresal Intrathecal

Learn more about Baclofen.

Baclofen review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Baclofen to treat Muscle Spasm

Review by Shay4204 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was put on Baclofen for migraine/cluster headache as a treatment prevention and rescue medicine. It works great for me. It also helps my spasms from having a bladder and kidney disease and ruptured discs. It doesn't help the nerve pain, but overall I think it's better than every other muscle relaxer I've tried. I've had reactions to most and very allergic to Flexeril. I take 20mg up to 4x a day. I'm also okay on Percocet and Klonopin. The 3 make everyday life with constant pain and headaches a lot easier to deal with.

April 12, 2014 5:38 AM

Review by tyga_nay (taken for less than 1 month):

Thrilled to say the least. I have a prolapsed disc in L4/ L5. The pain and spasms I get as a result are absolute modern day torture. I had another spasm today whilst a long way from home and my normal GP. I went to a drop in clinic and the doc prescribed Baclofen. I've never had such relief. I've had all types of medicines, from Valium to Celebrex and the norm over counter medicines. This is by far the best. Also have bipolar and am on methadone for a painkiller addiction. I have to say that I am excited by the prospect of how this new medication could potentially change my everyday life. And so much the better if it helps with anxiety and withdrawal from opioids.

January 24, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by lbriggs169:

I've had sciatica for 20 years. On and of a number of different meds but had negative effects. Had a bad fall Oct 30-2013 (i'm 65 on walker and canes) and square on my coccyx. Oh boy. Doc gave me Toradol pills--nothing, then cyclobenzaprine--bad effect, then BACLOFEN 5MG 3X DAY DOES HELP ME SLEEP AT NIGHT. ON IT NOW A MONTH.

December 23, 2013 10:16 PM

Review by aikijujitsuchick (taken for less than 1 month):

Taking for neck and back pain, and sciatica from being in a MVA. Seems to make my hearing sensitive--when I read to my daughter, it's like my voice is too loud so I have to speak very softly. Absolutely no drowsiness, but I have had a killer headache in the back of my head for days. It has not made any drastic difference in my muscle pain and sciatica, but I have only been on it less than one week. Will keep trying it until my follow up in a week. So far, so good, except for the bad, bad headache in the back of my head. Sleeping good and waking refreshed, unlike when I took Soma.

November 17, 2013 11:25 PM

Review by Shaun.p (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I take 10mg at 60mg a day for a nerve impingement in my shoulder, a herniated disc and sciatica. In the past I have tried Vicodin, Percocet, oxycodone 15, Flexeril, and Soma. None of those medicines come close to working as well as baclofen. It also works way better than Xanax or Klonopin for anxiety.

October 6, 2013 7:18 AM

Review by robin-chan (taken for less than 1 month):

Last time I had really bad cramps, several months ago, doctor prescribed 10mg, 3 x's a day, for 10 days. I remembered I was a 'low doser' so I took only half a tablet for 6 days. Result was wonderful! Spasms in diaphragm, bilateral waistline, bilateral buttocks, back, shoulders, neck, hands, legs, feet, lowest abdomen, all ceased and desisted in two and a half days. This time, a couple of days ago, I called for a new prescription and then forgot to take half a pill--took a whole 10mg, 3x's a day for two days, as prescribed, and got treated to a whole bunch of weird side effects--intense sleepiness, hallucinations, very shallow breathing, edema, but no cessation of spasms and pain. So now I'll wait several days and try half a pill again.

September 14, 2013 5:31 PM

Review by lmchotrod (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lioresal (baclofen): I was taken off Soma and put on Baclofen to help with extremely painful muscle spasms that I've been told are related to my fibromyalgia. I was extremely surprised and grateful to find out that this medication while not preventing the spasms, does stop them dead in their tracks when taken as soon as they start. I've had no noticeable side effects. A real God send for me.

September 13, 2013 11:32 AM

Review by mikey6ft8 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had 2 laminectomies at L4/L5 and the first one failed in 6 years, the second has been holding its own, but scar tissue has formed and the disks above and below are impinging the nerve slightly. After 2 years of trying every muscle relaxer my pain management doctor used Baclofen 10mg 3 x daily. I noticed improvement within a week and now in combination with Cymbalta 60mg daily, I can walk on my right leg without having to sit down every 5 minutes. I don't have any side effects from Baclofen like Flexeril where I would drag all day and then the next day feel hung over and could not get off the couch.

July 1, 2013 1:55 AM

Lioresal (baclofen): Taking 20mg per day of Baclofen for Levator Syndrome (pelvic muscle spams). The only thing that has ever worked for this condition. No side effects that I can tell.

June 12, 2013 6:22 PM

Review by tootlesjb:

I too suffer from back and leg pain. I have had 3 surgery's pain stimulator implanted as well. The back and leg spasms have gotten so bad starting around 2pm till I wake in the morning. Some nights I'm up all night. Started medicines as directed 1st time. But had some very strange reactions. Like I couldn't breath, almost paralyzed, then hives. So I stopped. But the spasms became so bad, I just couldn't bare to go on anymore this way. I started again taking 1/2 a pill 2 times then 3 times. So far I just itch, I can deal with that. It is helping with spasms, that is the best part of all. And OMG if it also helps with migraines, that would be even better, since I am also being treated for them as well. Life can be unbearable. Thanks for help.

June 8, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by melissa hundley (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have bone spurs on my cervical spine and I have severe muscle spasms and chronic back pain along with restless syndrome and degenerative bone disease. Yes I'm also falling apart and I'm only 38 yrs old. My doctor tried different scripts to relieve the pain and burning in my neck and shoulder but I never found relief until I started taking 10mg Baclofen. It also helped me at night with my insomnia. I thank my doctor at every visit. I'd still be in pain if it weren't for Baclofen.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2013 10:05 AM

Review by Chuck515:

I have severe back pain, and nerve impingement. I have tried at least 7 medications that are used to treat this disorder. There are some that work better but the side effects make it impossible to live a normal life. There are those that don't work at all. This is the only medication that I have taken that allows me to live a normal life. I can sit in a chair or ride in a car without my back spasms killing me. Baclofen is the only medicine I have found that allows me to work without spasms, and not be so fatigued like a zombie.

March 2, 2013 10:55 PM

Review by blackie13uk (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lioresal (baclofen): I find this medication has been great in controlling the muscle spasms I have been experiencing. However it isn't very effective in easing the neuropathic pain I also experience.

January 2, 2013 6:41 PM

I had back surgery- severe, debilitating migraines (one per week)- a stroke at age 30 (8 years ago)- knee, shoulder, wrist, ankle and hand surgeries. Call me Humpty Dumpty because I would have fallen apart but Baclofen has helped put me back together again. It cuts down on the spasms and helps dull the pain. My migraines are down to 1 a month and over within 12-24 hours. I take 10MGs x 8 pills before bed. I take Ambien to help me sleep but have HUGE problems waking up and staying awake. I have fallen asleep at work (bad when you are a teacher). My Dr. started me on Nuvigil 250MG mornings and it is a life/job saver. Also taking Seroquel, Nexium, Triliptal, Exalgo, Lexapro, 15000 UI of vitamin D and had to start Hyzaar since beginning Baclofen.

August 23, 2012 10:37 AM

Review by DNT (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine should not be given to the elderly due to side effects causing dizziness. If you are experiencing nausea prior to the use of this medicine, do not take it, it will increase the symptoms.

May 17, 2012 6:57 PM

Review by kmaverikaz:

I have been taking Baclofen for over 5 years for muscle spasms and sciatica. It helps tremendously for the spasms and overall back muscle mobility but does nothing for sciatica pain. This is an outstanding adjunct to an NSAID or other pain reliever. Baclofen has allowed me to completely bend over and put my palms on the floor; something I couldn't do for years. I share the sentiment of an old post that Baclofen off label significantly decreases my anxiety associated with post traumatic stress disorder. I take 10mgs three times a day. Highly recommend this for spasms, anxiety and increased quality of sleep.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2012 7:51 AM

Review by usamel:

Was given this medication post hysteroscopy when I suffered severe hip, knee and leg pain. Nothing touched it. Had major painkillers to no effect. Baclofen was a lifesaver. Also have fibromyalgia and the bonus is I can feel a massive difference with that now as well. Am a bit dizzy, hope it will pass in time cause the benefits are worth it! No other side effects at all.

October 20, 2011 11:06 AM

Review by lisabella00:

Finally relief. I have suffered all of my adult life with severe pain from menstrual cramps. After taking Lupron (which stopped my period) I was left with these reactive painful pelvic/uterine muscle spasms. The muscle would seize up and cause pain for no reason. Baclofen worked from day one. And no sleepiness and no loopy feeling--very nice.

October 12, 2011 4:28 PM

Take 3x/day for fibromyalgia - lifesaver! Tried almost all other muscle relaxers, and baclofen works the best for chronic muscle spasms and pain.

September 20, 2011 4:36 PM

Review by Kathyblack45:

Back injury: This medicine caused me to jerk uncontrollable. It also caused me to lose time I could not keep my mind straight.

September 15, 2011 12:39 PM

Review by soonersdaisymae:

I was using a walking stick 2 weeks ago. I don't feel like my legs are made of rubber anymore and am able to walk short distances without assistance. I am excited about this medication and the future of walking again. I am still working through the need to take an afternoon nap.

August 7, 2011 10:19 AM

Review by zippo44:

I have been struggling with fibromyalgia for more than five years. Finally accepted my diagnoses almost 3 years ago. My doctor and I have been working together to establish a pain management program that works for me and still enables me to work and live a "normal" life. Baclofen is by far the best muscle relaxer I have used and true to my doctors recommendation, has the least side effects (dizziness, sedation, etc.). I am more than just pleased with this medicine. I am THRILLED because it helps to control the muscle spasms I cope with while allowing me to be an active participant in my life. After two years of taking it, I am taking 10mg four times a day.

May 8, 2011 4:38 PM

Prescribed this by pain management doctor along with Roxy 15 mg. Made very sleepy- seeing no improvement with back pain/ leg pain over just taking the Roxy. Side effects are just too many for the slight relief it may have given.

February 7, 2011 1:44 PM

Review by Captain Ricky:

I have a partially paralyzed left leg due to SCI with extreme tone and strong muscle spasms. The first time I tried Baclofen the side effects were so severe that I could not tolerate the medicine at all. The second time I worked up to 60mg per day at 5mg intervals over a couple of months. Virtually no side effects at all this time but it takes a while. Baclofen with Botox injections to my hip flexor, hamstrings, and dorsiflexor make my situation bearable. Baclofen works well at 20mg, less than the prescribed dosage.

January 1, 2011 8:48 AM

Review by MRSDJMW:

After trying several muscle relaxers with no improvement, my new pain management doctor put me on 10mg baclofen 3 x daily.I was extremely drowsy the first week, by second week had complete resolution of my lower back pain following 2 lumbar surgeries to correct scoliosis. First time I can walk and stand straight up in years. Initially helped my neck pain, but is now no longer effective. Having surgery tomorrow to repair subluxation of C3/4, hoping that resolves my pain. Status post surgery x 5 for cervical herniations. May need to adjust dose? Great medicine, highly recommended.

August 29, 2010 8:41 PM