User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 133 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"If you take probiotics a couple of times daily between the azithromycin dose, I don't have any digestive issues, stomach ache, diarrhea, etc. Takes a couple days to start kicking in."

lalalan January 25, 2016

"I'm 43 with a life long history of bronchitis. When I get sick, I often find myself coughing until I vomit. I have been prescribed the "Z Pack" several times. I have found that, while it does ultimately take care of the bronchitis, it takes at least 7-8 days from the time I start the medicine until I begin to feel relief. In fact, during this current episode, my symptoms continued to worsen until today, which is the day I took the last pill. I don't yet feel any better, but today I am not getting any worse. This is consistent with each of the other times I have been prescribed this medication. I typically don't have major stomach issues while taking the medicine, but on occasion have had issues the first and second day."

Sick, Coughing Robyn January 24, 2016

"I had vomitting, dizziness, turned blue and just got worse. Awful drug."

Ickysicky (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"I have had experience with IBS symptoms in the past.. Thinking the diarrhea I was experiencing with this medicine was from that. But now I'm thinking its the medicine. Cured my bronchitis but the immense pain I had in my stomach and burning of loose stool was not worth it. Happened the first day and the last day of the 5 day regimen. So glad it's over, just hope the loose stool is over too. I will never take this antibiotic again unless my life depends on it."

Shelly1a2d3c (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"I took 2 first dose of pills for severe bronchitis and then fell asleep. I awoke with diarrhea, then washed clothes, fell back asleep and had another bout with diarrhea and had to wash clothes again. I never had something like this happen to me before! Very scary to say the least- I am only 59 so still in good physical shape. Just glad I did not ruin my memory foam mattress! Now am 24 hours later and afraid to take next dose- only one pill but am going to be awake for a long while.... Seems to have helped for bronchitis."

Debsmi January 14, 2016

"Was prescribed 500mg for 3 days for acute bronchitis and got worse on day 4 to the point of needing to go to the hospital. Deepened cough, unable to breathe and severe stomach cramps. This drug is useless and only promotes worse super bugs and antibiotic resistant strains."

Headed to the hospital. (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"I was prescribed 250 mg of Azithromycin. I had to take two pills and then one a day until it was finished. The medicine had an effect on my bodies natural bacteria which made me constipated, but it worked great! I had better results with 875 mg of Amoxicillin for 10 days."

Thecreative1 January 9, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Anaphylaxis."

Tony 709 January 7, 2016

"I have used this numerous times for both bronchitis and sinusitis and it has always worked great for me. The 5 day z-pack is great. I don't have to take a pill for 14 days and that is awesome. Every time I have taken it, I have experienced stomach pain on the first day but each day following it, no problems. This medicine is awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants fast and effective relief!!"

CSinKY (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"I'm going into my 3rd day and I feel at least the same if not worse. I am burning up and my cough is deeper...I've coughed up a little blood. I wonder if I was misdiagnosed. I don't know whether to wait it out or go to the ER...I feel horrible."

Nmt December 28, 2015

"I got prescribed 250 mg of azithromycin (500 mg on the first day, 250 mg for four more days.) I had a bad experience. I am psychosomatic and I don't think that mixed well. I had a large panic attack during school that lasted about an hour. I experienced extreme stomach pains and auditory hallucinations. Would not recommend. It is getting rid of my bronchitis, but it's not worth it."

John B. (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

"Took the 6 pac after two weeks of suffering from Bronchitis. After the first dose of two pills I slept soundly for a long time and felt maybe 90% better. Now finished all 6 pills. Feeling so much better but still cough at times. I was told the medication will stay in body for 5 days after finishing. So maybe in five more days this thing will be finally gone."

Pius November 24, 2015

"I've taken this several times over the years and had no problems at all, but the last two times -- AWFUL!!! I am not going to finish them this time. I'd rather be sick. Stomach hurts like I'm starving, but if I eat it hurts worse. I feel like I'm going to puke all the time. Last night in bed for no reason, my heart was smashing out of my chest, just pounding. I am miserable. My legs were crazy restless the last couple days since I've been on this, too. I forgot something but bottom line, the stomach pain is more than I can stand."

Rachelle B. November 19, 2015

"Horrible drug. You feel sicker than before and the nausea does keep you up at night even if you try to eat more. I hate it. Not taking it anymore and I saw online it can cause heart electrical signals to go chaotic according to fda. So why are they still prescribing this?"

alexa2233 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

"I'm currently on day two of the pill, and I already feel much better. The only downside is how awake and energized it makes me! I took the second pill on day 1 too late and now I'm wide awake when I should be sleepy. Oops! At least I feel better :)"

Mbvt 2015 (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2015

"I've been in the throws of bronchitis this week. Started with my throat so sore I couldn't even swallow water and traveled quickly into my chest with that cough that is so painful. Now I'm very stomach intolerant of antibiotics but this time I just didn't care I would have done anything to feel better. My doctor gave me the ZPac yesterday and within hours of taking the day 1 two pill dose, I began to feel better. My fever broke overnight and this morning I feel 80% better. The only drawback is that now that I've been telling my husband how great I feel today, I probably will have to actually do some housework. Thanks ZPack! You kicked my bronchitis's butt!"

LoveZPack October 21, 2015

"I've only been on this medicine two days and already I feel so much better! I don't ache, fever is gone, no more night sweats and I am FINALLY sleeping through the night! I haven't had any bad side effect for this medicine. Even though I feel better I know I still have to continue taking till all gone."

Mama of 3 hyper children October 17, 2015

"I was prescribed this drug three days ago. I have to say, I feel worse than I did when I went in to seek help. It is keeping me from sleeping properly. I have no appetite, I feel like I have the flu when I don't. I have three doses left. I have decided to stop taking it. My head feels buzzy and my ears will not stop ringing. This sucks, all I had was a cold. "

Bill Boisselle-Schalaba October 14, 2015

"I had developed bronchitis due to allergy induced asthma I was having major trouble breathing just walking up stairs and I'm a 30 yr old normally super healthy person. I have taken azithromycin two times now and both times the medications kicks in fast with NO side effects! Love this antibiotic!"

Ostella (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

"Ugh, it seems to be working on the 2nd day but about an hour after each dose my stomach is completely torn up and in a million cramps. It's so painful! I can't wait until this 5 day treatment is over so I don't have to go through this anymore!!"

Brook92 September 29, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I have Asthma so maybe it makes it worse . But it came on suddenly with no fever. No change in pulse . Just a cough that hurt the back of my head so bad that it rattled my brain and made me see fireworks in my head . I don't think this z pac worked for me because after laying in bed no energy for 1 week I went to the doc again . This time he prescribed Bactrim and it seems to be working - I'm feeling better. The doc asked if I had a loose stool , no I didn't but my BF has the same symptons and a very loose stool . I just wish he would go to the Doc so we don't pass this back and forth ..Arithamyicin has worked for me in the past but not with whatever this supercough is. Its feeling like nothing ever before is ... I just wonder how contagious it is"

Kennifer (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2015

"I had been coughing for 2 weeks straight really badly. I called my doctor to get a check up and she prescribed me the 5 day dosage. 2 the first day and then 1 for the next 4. By the 5th day my cough was still there and I had gotten the runs. This medicine was a waste of my time"

Kebbie (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2015

"I was prescribed Azithromycin after feeling fatigued and under the weather for a few days then coming down with a fever, chills, body aches, loss of taste, deep chest congestion and sinus congestion. My doctor said it was bronchitis and perhaps an initial onset into bronchial pneumonia. On the 5-day treatment, and started feeling noticeably better on day 2. On day 3 now and although still getting better, the lung congestion is so deep that it's hard to get rid of the mucus. A MUST on this drug is taking a LOT of probiotics! The medication kills off all of your GUT GERMS, good and bad making many people's stomach's ache so make sure to eat a lot of YOGURT and even better KEFIR everyday. The doctor's leave that out when prescribing."

SantaMonicaGuy (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Never have taken the generic brand before the pharmacy took it upon themselves to switch it ( Rite Aid) I have to say I'm on day 3 of 5 and it's not working.With original the 3 day Pak I started feeling better that night now got to call the doc back and have it represcribed somewhere else and tell them to do not do generic!!!"

Generic sucks June 3, 2015

"I took Zithromax for 5 days 250 mg. Knocked out a horrible case of coughing and bronchitis by the time I was done, but have been experiencing diarrhea since I've been off it for the past week. I hope this ceases soon. I did not have the diarrhea while taking it, but I was also taking a cough syrup with codeine and as I understand it, codeine causes constipation of sorts, so maybe that's why the diarrhea started after I stopped taking the cough syrup. No horrible coughing anymore or chest distress... just lower tract for now."

OhRob May 21, 2015