User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bronchitis

Review by Ska2lee (taken for less than 1 month):

I went to a baseball game and was severely chilled. Thought I had a bad cold/ allergies which turned into a bronchial infection. After 48 hours of continual coughing, I called the dr. The on call physician prescribed the Z-pack. It's been 8 hours and I'm feeling much better. I've got thyroditis and cannot take decongestants and over the counter medicines. While I know we try to not take antibiotics in order to avoid resistance, I think it is worth getting an antibiotic instead of allowing your resistance to get so low that recovery will take longer and weaken your system.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2014 7:46 PM

Review by Ron of Valhalla:

Had bronchitis for maybe 2 weeks. At first I thought it was a cold or maybe an allergy. My temp started to move up to 99.6, and then 100+ and finally like 101.7. But the cough was the worst. The weirdest cough I ever had, deep, loud coughs and I'd cough for like 30sec+ or cough and sneeze at the same time. Could not lie down at all or I'd begin coughing (but I'd cough anyway). The doc prescribed Z-pak. About 4 hours after I took it, I could tell the symptoms improving. My temp improved, the cough subsided, too. This is my second day. For me there are no side effects.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Doolittles (taken for less than 1 month):

Z-pack is the only antibiotic that will kill off bronchitis for me. I am on 3rd day of taking it and my constant, deep coughing has subsided. Today actually is the first day I have felt better in 2 weeks. Now when I cough you can tell the congestion is breaking up and I am not coughing deep at all. By the end of course, I am sure I will feel 100%. My doctor gave me Levaquin originally, it did absolutely nothing. Stick with Z-pack if you want to feel better.

April 3, 2014 12:46 PM

Review by Renee rap:

Zithromax (azithromycin): The only medicine that works on my bronchitis I've tried others and suffered more. For me it starts working in 2 days. No side effects for me just relief. I love it. But I really need to quit smoking. I wouldn't get it so often, get it at least 2 times a year.

November 19, 2013 7:55 AM

Review by TinaTomato:

Hello! I wanted to give a complete day-to-day experience taking ZPak. Summary: I started to get sore throat, ear ache, fatigue, body chills, vomiting, and a slight fever. I would cough up white/slightly yellow mucus. Day 1: Fatigue was reduced by 80%, less coughing,didn't cough up as much mucus but dry hacking cough was still there. Day 2: Coughing was still there, ear infection reduced, little to no mucus. Couldn't lay down or would still get coughing fits, would have to sporadically sit up so I wouldn't cough throughout the night, had liquid stools. Day 3: Felt 70% better, coughing turned into an annoying honking cough with no mucus, slight blurry vision, some sweating, dryness, continued watery stools. Day 4: Feeling 75-80% better.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 7:22 AM

Review by Bronchitis sufferer (taken for less than 1 month):

Zithromax (azithromycin): Got a regular head cold about a week ago. The cold is better but the cough got much worse - so violent I can't talk. Went to Urgent Care - they gave me Lortab for coughing, a Z-pack & an inhaler. It's been 2 hours and I am already feeling an improvement. This is the second time in 2 years that this happens to me. I only wish that I could prescribe it to myself at the onset next time instead of trying every other medicine!

September 14, 2013 5:51 PM

Review by carmdonoharm (taken for less than 1 month):

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Took the 5 day Z-pack for this bronchitis I have had a month now. After the 1st day I felt great, but then downhill from there. 6 days after finishing it I wound up in the E.R., they gave the Z-pack again...much to my chagrin. I finished it 3 days ago and while I have more energy, my cough is still bad. I know the infection is still there, my white blood cell count is high at 18,000, but they also put me on Prednisone which causes high white blood cell count. So they can't differentiate/determine cause of high white count, if infection or prednisone. Chest x-ray shows bronchitis. Friends who've had bronchitis are suggesting Bactrim, will discuss with my doctor.

August 17, 2013 6:53 AM

Review by 321cbl:

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): I had been having a mild sporadic cough for a week and a half before I started having the "under the weather" cold feeling. It started in my chest and was accompanied by body aches, sore throat, and headache from a dry cough. After two days of dry cough and developing Laryngitis from coughing so much, it moved up into my nasal area, where I started finally experiencing mucus. By the third day, I was feeling like crap and had no real appetite. So went to the local clinic. Diagnosed w/ cold, bronchitis, laryngitis. Prescribed a 5 day antibiotic treatment 250mg. The first day I had nausea, diarrhea, racing heartbeat for a couple hrs. I started feeling better after 2 days, kept taking antibiotic, side effects went away & so did the cold. Fast.

August 13, 2013 12:02 PM

Review by rj__0009:

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Works great and quick. Will make you tired and sleepless at night. But for all that, you are rearing to go in 5 days.

January 23, 2013 10:01 AM

Review by Scott C.:

It definitely works fast on bacterial infections. I've used this medicine twice. In my most recent event, I was sick for close to three months with a gurgly wet and sometimes dry, wheezy cough with fatigue but no fever. The doc called it bronchitis when I first got sick and we tried a 10 day amoxicillin regiment with no improvement. Over the 12 weeks, the cough mutated into three different variations including a sinus infection. I finally went back to the doc. After starting the 5 day regiment, I noticed an improvement within the first 12 hours. In both cases I was nearly 100% healthy by the 3rd day. The antibiotic is very stressful to your body. I experienced extreme fatigue and muscle soreness during the regiment, but it was worth it.

January 15, 2013 10:36 PM

Review by Z-pack Jon:

I went through 4 days of hell. Coughing to the point my sides would cramp. Night sweats and constant chills (when I say night sweats I mean a waterfall) finally went to the clinic and was told that I have severe bronchitis and on-set pneumonia. He gave me a 5 day Z-pack and since taking my first dose I have improved. I was also given Ventolin. Combined they are working.

January 2, 2013 2:43 AM

Review by MamaCJ (taken for less than 1 month):

I am allergic to most antibiotics, including Amoxicillin and Erythromycin. Upon reaching my 8th month of pregnancy, my family all came down with bronchitis and unfortunately I caught it as well .. the doctors prescribed me the Z Pack and within 24 hours I felt tremendously better, which says a lot, considering I was in so much pain I could hardly even function. It took away the body aches, the hot/cold sweats, the fever, and suppressed my coughing. Of the few antibiotics I'm able, the Z Pack always has and will be my first choice - it never ceases to amaze me at how quickly and effectively it works! My whole family swears by it. Highly recommended, 10/10, and two thumbs up. The occasional side effect is worth it!

November 25, 2012 9:26 AM

This is my 3rd day out of 5 days on Zpak. The first 2 doses were hard with the stomach pain. But if you eat a pretty good meal like 20 min before you take it then it helps a lot. The stomach pain is only there when the pill dissolves. So eating with it helps it dissolve a lot easier. My coughing really hasn't gone down much. The urgent care I went to gave me a inhaler too so that has been helping with my coughing and chest cold pain. But I can only take every 4 hours. But I do feel better enough to work now.

October 4, 2012 2:54 PM

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): After 1 day I was 75 percent better. Amazing.

September 4, 2012 7:37 PM

Zithromax (azithromycin): I came down with Bronchitis and was prescribed Zithromax. I was prone to ear infections when I was younger and was always prescribed this because I was allergic to penicillin. I had no side effects then, but now I have bad stomach cramps and diarrhea.

August 5, 2012 8:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a nasty case of bronchitis, after two weeks my cough was keeping me and my spouse awake at night. After 5 days on the Z pac, my cough was much better. This medication has a long half life and stays in your system long after the last dose, 10 days later and I still feel it hasn't entirely left me. Still feel a little dragged out as I always do with antibiotics. Cough is almost gone, a little lingering congestion but much better. (A few years ago I didn't treat my cough and it lasted 6 months.) Although the directions say you can take with or without food, I read elsewhere that the medicine is absorbed better on an empty stomach. So I took my last two pills at 2:00AM long after I had eaten, and this seemed to help knock out the cough.

July 18, 2012 1:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Did not do anything for my bronchitis.

July 13, 2012 12:22 PM

Review by PHAT2DEF (taken for less than 1 month):

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Everything gotten better but then when I ran out of the medicine it came back 2 days later.

July 2, 2012 3:26 PM

Review by lunglol:

This is the only antibiotic that does not give me serious side effects. It's always been helpful in the past, and I'm taking it now for bronchitis again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2012 1:13 PM

Review by Tri-pak suvivor (taken for less than 1 month):

I did the Tri-pak actually. That's three pills, 500mg, for three days, and it cured my bronchitis within a week after when I took the first pill. I had the pills and codeine cough syrup. I thank a hotel doctor for diagnosing me with it. I am still coughing slightly (about 10 times or less a day) but it is a gentle cough. Basically, It worked wonders. I feel great. I got the bronchitis about three weeks ago from the time I wrote this review. People are amazed that I did the three pack. Why? Because I felt no ill side effects. I did the Tri-pak and it cured me within a week.

May 5, 2012 3:16 AM

Review by jas1959:

Zithromax (azithromycin): This medicine worked the first time on me with no problems. The second time I used this I had a severe reaction which caused very low blood pressure, I could not feel my pulse, in which I had to go to a Dr. I now am allergic to this medicine. This medication works very well if you can use it. It works very fast.

April 20, 2012 1:32 PM

Review by 40 something:

I had a sore throat for two days, then woke up on the third day at 2 a.m. with a hacking cough that kept me up until 6 a.m. (I found and took a Mucinex DM & eventually got back to sleep for a few hours). Called my dr when I woke up, after coughing up some green stuff from my lungs, & after she called me back at 6 p.m. she called in this medicine. Day 1 you take 2, then 1 a day for 4 days. The 2 I took on day 1 made me nauseated, but I was able to get to sleep 4 hours later thanks to the benzonatate she also prescribed. Today I felt better but still have sore throat and still coughing some. The one tablet azithromycin tonight did not make me nauseated.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2012 1:44 AM

Zithromax (azithromycin): Zithromax works. I see a lot of websites stating that bronchitis is usually caused by a virus. The fact is, that although the triggering mechanism that brought on the bronchitis may be a virus, a secondary infection of bacteria is common. My entire family had bronchitis for several weeks. Zithromax will get rid of it in most cases. Don't believe the nonsense that you don't need antibiotics- after a couple of weeks of this, go get some Zithromax. It works!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2012 3:56 PM

I too get bronchitis every year when the weather changes, and I swear by Z-packs. It is also wonderful for strep throat. Yes, diarrhea is a side effect of nearly all antibiotics but I tell ya, I'd rather perch on the toilet than cough until I bust blood vessels in my eyes.

December 12, 2011 9:44 PM

I'm not completely through with my 5 doses, but am doing better so far. This is my second time taking it, but this time on Day 2, I had really bad stomach cramps. I thought it was related to my illness, but when I got them the next day after taking the Zithromax, I knew it was the medicines. I researched online, and it was recommended to eat yogurt or take acidophilus pills with the Z-pack. I ran out and got both, and that helped tremendously!

December 1, 2011 8:42 AM