User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 139 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"I took Zithromax for 5 days 250 mg. Knocked out a horrible case of coughing and bronchitis by the time I was done, but have been experiencing diarrhea since I've been off it for the past week. I hope this ceases soon. I did not have the diarrhea while taking it, but I was also taking a cough syrup with codeine and as I understand it, codeine causes constipation of sorts, so maybe that's why the diarrhea started after I stopped taking the cough syrup. No horrible coughing anymore or chest distress... just lower tract for now."

OhRob May 21, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I had the most horrible case of a bronchial infection. I was sick for almost a week. I went to the doctor, I was prescribed a 250mg Z-pack. I began to feel better on the second day, which is where I am now. I am beginning to cough up some phlegm that was making my chest feels so very tight.so far I am not experiencing any side effects. I do take it during a midday snack. I have rated it a 10 so far based on my personal experience. I just hope it clears this completely up."

Amberlee M (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I went to the ER after I coughed up blood a few times thru the day, and I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis. I was prescribed the zpack 5 day regimen. After a couple of days I began feeling a little better, but by the 5th or 6th day, I felt worse. I had severe nausea and became anorexic to the point that I lost 14 pounds. It took about another 4-5 days until I could eat more than a bite or so of food at any sitting. It's been around a month and a half since this happened, and I'm still having issues with my appetite and weight. I'm still down the 14 lbs, and my energy flags easily. I'll never EVER take that med again due to such an experience. I've had fine success with other antibiotics, without them being this hard on my gut."

Piggaboo (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I was prescribed and took the Azithromycin pack (Z Pack) when I came down with an acute case of Bronchitis. It was the traditional 2 pills at the first dose, and then 1 pill each following day. I started to feel a noticeable improvement by day 3, and was nearly completely better 7-8 days later. The medicine definitely worked for me, however, the side effects were strongly unpleasant. I had severe stomach pains, along with diarrhea, even when I did take the pills with food. Since the pills work for 10 days, i had the side effects for that long too. Overall though, I happy I took the Z pack and it helped cure me quickly."

Nick10011 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "This stuff starts working on Day One. Within a couple hours of taking it, I already feel like the congestion has halted and just needs to clear up. Make sure to take the whole pack, but all three times I've ever had bronchitis sneak in during a cold, Zithromax knocks it right out. No side effects for me."

Alcor (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2015

"Hard on the stomach but tolerable. More tolerable than others."

knitgirl81 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I suffere from asthma and would frequently come down with bronchitis. This Zithromax is a lifesaver. I love how it helps me get over it quickly and I am on my feet again within the week. Best prescription ever."

ShawnieMichael (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2014

"Took for 5 days and it did not work at all. It actually feels it's gotten worse. Also had stomach cramps and upset tummy through the course. Going back to doctor for followup."

Samriz November 5, 2014

"Have used Z-pack before with much success. Usually feel better by day 3. But this time chills, aches and coughing seem to be coming back on day 4. Feel a little woozy and weak but the meds make me not mind. Still feel better than I did before I started taking it. This is also my 3rd occasion to take the Z-pack in the last 2 years so I hope I'm not building up a resistance to it."

Mikala Lomborgino October 5, 2014

"My doctor prescribed me Azithromycin for the first time. I was given 6 250mg tabs (2 on first day, 1 for 4 days) for my nasal infection. On day 5 I still have the sinus infection. I do not drink alcohol. Antibiotic did not work."

Nasal Infection September 26, 2014

"I went to a baseball game and was severely chilled. Thought I had a bad cold/ allergies which turned into a bronchial infection. After 48 hours of continual coughing, I called the dr. The on call physician prescribed the Z-pack. It's been 8 hours and I'm feeling much better. I've got thyroditis and cannot take decongestants and over the counter medicines. While I know we try to not take antibiotics in order to avoid resistance, I think it is worth getting an antibiotic instead of allowing your resistance to get so low that recovery will take longer and weaken your system."

Ska2lee (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2014

"Had bronchitis for maybe 2 weeks. At first I thought it was a cold or maybe an allergy. My temp started to move up to 99.6, and then 100+ and finally like 101.7. But the cough was the worst. The weirdest cough I ever had, deep, loud coughs and I'd cough for like 30sec+ or cough and sneeze at the same time. Could not lie down at all or I'd begin coughing (but I'd cough anyway). The doc prescribed Z-pak. About 4 hours after I took it, I could tell the symptoms improving. My temp improved, the cough subsided, too. This is my second day. For me there are no side effects."

Ron of Valhalla June 10, 2014

"Z-pack is the only antibiotic that will kill off bronchitis for me. I am on 3rd day of taking it and my constant, deep coughing has subsided. Today actually is the first day I have felt better in 2 weeks. Now when I cough you can tell the congestion is breaking up and I am not coughing deep at all. By the end of course, I am sure I will feel 100%. My doctor gave me Levaquin originally, it did absolutely nothing. Stick with Z-pack if you want to feel better."

Doolittles (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "The only medicine that works on my bronchitis I've tried others and suffered more. For me it starts working in 2 days. No side effects for me just relief. I love it. But I really need to quit smoking. I wouldn't get it so often, get it at least 2 times a year."

Renee rap November 19, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Hello! I wanted to give a complete day-to-day experience taking ZPak. Summary: I started to get sore throat, ear ache, fatigue, body chills, vomiting, and a slight fever. I would cough up white/slightly yellow mucus. Day 1: Fatigue was reduced by 80%, less coughing,didn't cough up as much mucus but dry hacking cough was still there. Day 2: Coughing was still there, ear infection reduced, little to no mucus. Couldn't lay down or would still get coughing fits, would have to sporadically sit up so I wouldn't cough throughout the night, had liquid stools. Day 3: Felt 70% better, coughing turned into an annoying honking cough with no mucus, slight blurry vision, some sweating, dryness, continued watery stools. Day 4: Feeling 75-80% better."

TinaTomato November 3, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Got a regular head cold about a week ago. The cold is better but the cough got much worse - so violent I can't talk. Went to Urgent Care - they gave me Lortab for coughing, a Z-pack & an inhaler. It's been 2 hours and I am already feeling an improvement. This is the second time in 2 years that this happens to me. I only wish that I could prescribe it to myself at the onset next time instead of trying every other medicine!"

Bronchitis sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2013

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Took the 5 day Z-pack for this bronchitis I have had a month now. After the 1st day I felt great, but then downhill from there. 6 days after finishing it I wound up in the E.R., they gave the Z-pack again...much to my chagrin. I finished it 3 days ago and while I have more energy, my cough is still bad. I know the infection is still there, my white blood cell count is high at 18,000, but they also put me on Prednisone which causes high white blood cell count. So they can't differentiate/determine cause of high white count, if infection or prednisone. Chest x-ray shows bronchitis. Friends who've had bronchitis are suggesting Bactrim, will discuss with my doctor."

carmdonoharm (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2013

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I had been having a mild sporadic cough for a week and a half before I started having the "under the weather" cold feeling. It started in my chest and was accompanied by body aches, sore throat, and headache from a dry cough. After two days of dry cough and developing Laryngitis from coughing so much, it moved up into my nasal area, where I started finally experiencing mucus. By the third day, I was feeling like crap and had no real appetite. So went to the local clinic. Diagnosed w/ cold, bronchitis, laryngitis. Prescribed a 5 day antibiotic treatment 250mg. The first day I had nausea, diarrhea, racing heartbeat for a couple hrs. I started feeling better after 2 days, kept taking antibiotic, side effects went away & so did the cold. Fast."

321cbl August 13, 2013

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Works great and quick. Will make you tired and sleepless at night. But for all that, you are rearing to go in 5 days. "

rj__0009 January 23, 2013

"It definitely works fast on bacterial infections. I've used this medicine twice. In my most recent event, I was sick for close to three months with a gurgly wet and sometimes dry, wheezy cough with fatigue but no fever. The doc called it bronchitis when I first got sick and we tried a 10 day amoxicillin regiment with no improvement. Over the 12 weeks, the cough mutated into three different variations including a sinus infection. I finally went back to the doc. After starting the 5 day regiment, I noticed an improvement within the first 12 hours. In both cases I was nearly 100% healthy by the 3rd day. The antibiotic is very stressful to your body. I experienced extreme fatigue and muscle soreness during the regiment, but it was worth it."

Scott C. January 15, 2013

"I went through 4 days of hell. Coughing to the point my sides would cramp. Night sweats and constant chills (when I say night sweats I mean a waterfall) finally went to the clinic and was told that I have severe bronchitis and on-set pneumonia. He gave me a 5 day Z-pack and since taking my first dose I have improved. I was also given Ventolin. Combined they are working."

Z-pack Jon January 2, 2013

"I am allergic to most antibiotics, including Amoxicillin and Erythromycin. Upon reaching my 8th month of pregnancy, my family all came down with bronchitis and unfortunately I caught it as well .. the doctors prescribed me the Z Pack and within 24 hours I felt tremendously better, which says a lot, considering I was in so much pain I could hardly even function. It took away the body aches, the hot/cold sweats, the fever, and suppressed my coughing. Of the few antibiotics I'm able, the Z Pack always has and will be my first choice - it never ceases to amaze me at how quickly and effectively it works! My whole family swears by it. Highly recommended, 10/10, and two thumbs up. The occasional side effect is worth it!"

MamaCJ (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2012

"This is my 3rd day out of 5 days on Zpak. The first 2 doses were hard with the stomach pain. But if you eat a pretty good meal like 20 min before you take it then it helps a lot. The stomach pain is only there when the pill dissolves. So eating with it helps it dissolve a lot easier. My coughing really hasn't gone down much. The urgent care I went to gave me a inhaler too so that has been helping with my coughing and chest cold pain. But I can only take every 4 hours. But I do feel better enough to work now."

Anonymous October 4, 2012

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "After 1 day I was 75 percent better. Amazing."

Anonymous September 4, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I came down with Bronchitis and was prescribed Zithromax. I was prone to ear infections when I was younger and was always prescribed this because I was allergic to penicillin. I had no side effects then, but now I have bad stomach cramps and diarrhea."

Anonymous August 5, 2012