User Reviews for Azathioprine

Also known as: Azasan, Imuran

Learn more about Azathioprine.

Azathioprine Review Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.

Reviews for Azathioprine to treat Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Imuran (azathioprine): "After about 2 weeks into the medicine, I started vomiting severely whenever I took this medication. Ended up in the hospital. I tried this medication again several years later and immediately started vomiting severely. I had to go by ambulance to the emergency room because I could not go by car. I would use extreme caution when first starting this medication because apparently it can cause severe side effects."

small town mom (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine): "I'm a women age 39. I've been on Imuran for over 4 yrs. Before taking Imuran I was on methotrexate and Lyrica which I had EVERY SIDE EFFECT to. But when I switched medicines and began the Imuran it was very helpful! I could tell a big difference in how I felt. I also have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. Over time and up to this point I'm feeling I need something stronger or even different. I can't tell that I have any known side effects from Imuran. Doctor suggested I try Benlysta. I'm scheduled to start that in two weeks! I'm very nervous because of some of the side effects but you never know until you try! Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!"

BB1217 March 27, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine): "I have been on imuran for at least 25 years. Have had few if any side effects. My lupus is basically in remission most of the time. I also take predisone."

barb_1939 (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine): "Imuran greatly improved my systemic lupus erthematous (SLE) symptoms. I have neurological involvement and before this medicine my right foot was paralyzed. I can now walk thanks to this. I had blood work and all my values are normal now which was not the case before. I do not have any side effects either. It has been a lifesaver for me."

preocupada (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2012

Imuran (azathioprine): "Imuran caused a 10 day hospital stay for me. I was on it about 2 weeks, started running a fever of 104, had chills, very short of breath. I was treated for regular flu, swine flu, tested for all sorts of other breathing problems."

ThMom August 28, 2010

Azasan (azathioprine): "Elevated liver enzymes, nausea, and vomiting."

Anonymous August 23, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine): "Worked well at higher doses but affected my liver functions so had to cut back on dosage. Helps on lower dosage but not as well."

VLE June 21, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine): "Had an allergic reation about three weeks into treatment. Broke out in hives. Was taking it for Systemic Lupus."

ricter December 7, 2009

Imuran (azathioprine): "Worked fantastic for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) that included heart and lung involvement."

Judy GG April 28, 2009