User Reviews for Azathioprine

Also known as: Azasan, Imuran

Learn more about Azathioprine.

Azathioprine review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 67 medications used in the treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.

Reviews for Azathioprine to treat Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Review by small town mom (taken for less than 1 month):

Imuran (azathioprine): After about 2 weeks into the medicine, I started vomiting severely whenever I took this medication. Ended up in the hospital. I tried this medication again several years later and immediately started vomiting severely. I had to go by ambulance to the emergency room because I could not go by car. I would use extreme caution when first starting this medication because apparently it can cause severe side effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 9:14 AM

Review by BB1217:

Imuran (azathioprine): I'm a women age 39. I've been on Imuran for over 4 yrs. Before taking Imuran I was on methotrexate and Lyrica which I had EVERY SIDE EFFECT to. But when I switched medicines and began the Imuran it was very helpful! I could tell a big difference in how I felt. I also have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. Over time and up to this point I'm feeling I need something stronger or even different. I can't tell that I have any known side effects from Imuran. Doctor suggested I try Benlysta. I'm scheduled to start that in two weeks! I'm very nervous because of some of the side effects but you never know until you try! Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by barb_1939 (taken for 10 years or more):

Imuran (azathioprine): I have been on imuran for at least 25 years. Have had few if any side effects. My lupus is basically in remission most of the time. I also take predisone.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by preocupada (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Imuran (azathioprine): Imuran greatly improved my systemic lupus erthematous (SLE) symptoms. I have neurological involvement and before this medicine my right foot was paralyzed. I can now walk thanks to this. I had blood work and all my values are normal now which was not the case before. I do not have any side effects either. It has been a lifesaver for me.

May 6, 2012 11:48 AM

Review by ThMom:

Imuran (azathioprine): Imuran caused a 10 day hospital stay for me. I was on it about 2 weeks, started running a fever of 104, had chills, very short of breath. I was treated for regular flu, swine flu, tested for all sorts of other breathing problems.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2010 8:58 AM

Azasan (azathioprine): Elevated liver enzymes, nausea, and vomiting.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2010 7:25 PM

Review by VLE:

Imuran (azathioprine): Worked well at higher doses but affected my liver functions so had to cut back on dosage. Helps on lower dosage but not as well.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2010 7:10 PM

Review by ricter:

Imuran (azathioprine): Had an allergic reation about three weeks into treatment. Broke out in hives. Was taking it for Systemic Lupus.

December 7, 2009 5:54 PM

Review by Judy GG:

Imuran (azathioprine): Worked fantastic for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) that included heart and lung involvement.

April 28, 2009 12:42 PM