User Reviews for Vidaza

Learn more about Vidaza.

Vidaza Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Myelodysplastic Syndrome.

Reviews for Vidaza to treat Myelodysplastic Syndrome

"My husband was diagnosed with MDS, no symptoms. He worked out at gym 5 days a week, had just retired, was enjoying life. At Dr's urging, he started on Vidazia. This was supposed to prevent MDS from going into leukemia and buy time to prepare for bone marrow transplant. He took daily treatments for 5 days, was sick with flulike symptoms, then had breathing complications. The following week, he is in excruiating pain, was hospitalized in ICU FOR 2 weeks, died a horrible death. Pain that no amount of pain meds would control. His last 2 days were in Hospice, so that he could receive the highest doses of narcotics, that can only be administered at end of life. Death certificate read " multi organ failure ". Vidazia destroyed his internal organs"

Joyneil (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

"Injection site sore for weeks. If in belly, get it beyond belt line. If in underarm, get injections 2 in apart. Day 1, little effect, day 3 start of weakness, day 5 make sure couch fits. 3 days after last injection, start of recovery. Day 5, 2 pints of blood does wonders, day 14 after injection, just hanging on. Maybe another blood pint to help, Day 1, oh gosh here we go again. no vomiting, just strength crashing."

jcsarge April 15, 2014

"Vidaza worked very well and only side effect was some minor constipation cured with softener and milk of magnesia."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2013

"My dad had MLS and then evolved into Leukemia (AML). He had traditional chemotherapy but had severe complications. He is going into his 4th cycle of Vidaza and he is doing great. His blood cells counts are lower some days of the month but they recover almost to normal. He had trouble with platelets. At the start he had a lot of transfusions (by now he has almost had 200) but in the last months had been fewer, a lot fewer. And the doctor considers that Vidaza starts working after 6th cycle so his platelet count will increase. The doctor considered bone marrow transplant but he decided that since he is in total remission and doing well with Vidaza they will wait until 9th cycle and decide then. He has no side effects but a little fatigue."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2012

"I was diagnosed with Luekemia in May of 2011. I have been having chemo with Vidaza. I have the seven day treatments every four weeks. I am in remission as of September 2011. The strange side effect is the I no longer have psoriasis, which I have had for 50 years. My skin is now clear and has the appearance of the skin of a twenty year old."

silveredo2comcast.net November 4, 2011

"I have just started my 2nd month of 7 days of injections. I have had no adverse reactions, except the injection sights get very red and later peel. My white blood cells went down and then started back up. My platelets and hemoglobin are quite low but so far no blood transfusions. I am told each time they will make white blood cells go lower."

Anonymous September 26, 2009

"I have taken it for 4 months so far. It is now down to 5 days instead of 7 per month. The shots are painful in several ways. Went to IV after a couple months. The only good result I've had so far is no transfusions. In the fourth month I developed flu like symptoms despite constant vigilance. I have been down for 9 days with this."

john w May 17, 2009