User Reviews for Donnatal

Learn more about Donnatal.

Donnatal Review Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Donnatal to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"Works great for irritable bowel syndrome! I am so comfortable at work only down side it is expensive."

lizzie1416 October 11, 2014

"I have used Donnatal for over 2 years mainly for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It works every single time I have a flare-up like nothing else I have ever taken. Hands down the best medication in my opinion. No side effects, reduces sweating but that also helps me since I tend to sweat a lot. It also has helped me with anxiety as well as during weaning from opiate medications. GREAT MEDICINE. Only con is that not all pharmacies carry it anymore. "

ehh80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2014

"Excellent for irritable bowel syndrome symptoms like gas and general stomach malaise. Works fast but is expensive!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2014

"Prescribed for me in ER when I was there for nausea and vertigo from Irritable Bowel Syndrome...probably the ONLY medicine I ever took that worked immediately and did just what it advertised...truly effective medicine!"

Cossack (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2013

"I am a 45 year old male who has suffered from IBS since my teens. Nothing has been successful until I went to Italy and learned about Donnatal. When I returned to the States i asked my Dr. about Donnatal and he said it was an old medicine, which he hasn't prescribed in years. He gave me a prescription and my pains, and loose bowl movements have stopped. I have been taking this medicine for 3 months and now I can function normally.. now I have my life back. I reported this to my Dr. who was surprised and has started to prescribe it again with some great feedback. I find the liquid Donnatal works best. I can even drink Coffee again."

IBS in NJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2013

"Better than anything else I've used."

Lao August 31, 2012

"I was recently diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and given Belladonna/Phenabarbital, as well as Dexilant (acid reducer). I felt great for the first week of being on these; however after that it has gone downhill, with severe diarrhea and headaches. I have lost 13 lbs since taking these medicines and concerned with which medicines cause this. The Dexilant seems to cause the diarrhea, but I'm left wondering why the headaches are so bad. Any assistance would be great...cannot function w/the headaches and nothing over the counter touches them."

Anonymous August 5, 2011

"My GI Doctor has tried half a a dozen different drugs for my IBS and none could seem to to do the trick. I pretty much gave up all hope until during my yearly physical my PCP (who has been practicing 35 years) mentioned I tried a much older drug called Donnatal. He told me it was an old drug but proven effective time and time again. I filled the script and immediately started taking it. I noticed improvement almost immediately and have been taking it regularly for 3 months now with no complaints. Donnatal is my miracle."

serenity0322 July 12, 2011

"It relieves my stomach pains due to severe bloating and gas. It is sedating. Once I take it, if I am somewhere comfortable, I can dose off. It is a very good medicine."

Anonymous June 28, 2011

"I have used Donnatal for years for Irritable Bowel Syndrome diarrhea. It is a miracle medicine. I stop it when it stops working. I could not have worked or gone out of house without it. However I have high liver levels and wonder if the Donnatal caused this. I stopped it when went on Savella for fibromyalgia. The Savella also helps my IBS. Not on anything now, on FMLA at present. Will have to go on something if I return to work."

normal 1 March 3, 2011

"Calms me down and numbs the pain just a bit."

Anonymous January 13, 2011

"I used Librax for IBS. Only been on this for 2 days, but I feel the drug is working well, will continue. I have had IBS for years, but it comes and goes and sometimes no symptoms for months. But I recently had a sinus infection and they put me on antibiotic LEVAQUIN. After using it, it brought back my IBS problems."

robertmacgregor March 19, 2010

"Before I took this I was suffering from constipation and diarrhea. The drug helps settle my stomach, I take it twice a day. The pills are very small and disintegrate fast with liquid, which make them extremely easy to swallow. I use to dread using the bathroom before I started taking this drug. Now I don't even think twice about it and my stress level has decreased dramatically."

23 year old male February 25, 2010

"I have bowel adhesions and they cause debilitating IBS. I first was given Donnatal Elixir in an ER with horrible intestinal cramps. This stuff soothes, works quickly and it stops the cramps. I recommend it to anyone I know who has IBS. And the drowsy side effect helps me to sleep and when I wake up I feel better. Definitely ask your doctor about this one if you suffer from intestinal issues!"

harmonyinohio February 13, 2010

"I take Donnatal with Reglan 30 minutes before meals and at bedtime. It helps with the intestinal and stomach cramps! Plus it also helps with the diarrhea. It is a miracle drug and I am glad I asked my doctor about it plus the phenobarbital in the Donnatal helps my anxiety!"

Anonymous October 13, 2009