User Reviews for Lomotil

Learn more about Lomotil.

Diarrhea 22 reviews 58 medications

7.8
Summary of Lomotil reviews 22 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Lomotil

For Diarrhea "Other than Tincture of Opium, Lomotil is the best thing for controlling diarrhea. Because the Opium is so expensive, I often can take only lomotil, and it works at the maximum dosage (and more) to slow down my diarrhea. Without it, I would have nothing to live for, literally. It is a life-saver."

PDXDave (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2015

For Diarrhea "I've had IBS for years but when I had colon surgery 3 years ago, I started to really have problems with chronic severe diarrhea--10 to 12 x's a day. I was miserable, leaking, wearing Depends, just depressed about no solution. Finally I found a doctor who prescribed Lomotil--2 tabs--4 x's a day and it worked! And without any side effects. I'm now down to 2 or 3 doses a day and feeling so much better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Diarrhea "I'm a 32 y/o female who has suffered from chronic diarrhea related to anxiety for about 5 years. I have anywhere from 2 to 10 bouts of diarrhea a day. I was very excited to try Lomotil after reading so many positive reviews. I have been taking 2 pills 4 times a days, as prescribed. This medicine did not work for me, and the side effects are awful. I am still having urgent bouts of diarrhea. Also, this medicine makes me feel so sleepy that I can barely hold my eyes open. I took my last dose about 18 hours ago, and still feel very groggy. The dry mouth is so bad that it wakes me up, even though I have been staying hydrated. I am discontinuing this!"

AutumnB (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2014

For Diarrhea "This medication has been a God send. Before I knew about this medication I was in and out of the bathroom at least 7 times in one day and it was every time I put food in my mouth. That went on for a full year, I couldn't go anywhere without going to the bathroom first and if I was out and about I couldn't eat anything until I got home. Me and my wife couldn't even go out to eat on our anniversary because of my problem. It was taking over my life and I was getting depressed, but then my doctor gave me Lomotil and it works like a charm. Instead of going to the bathroom after each time I put food in my mouth. I now only go about 2 times a day and I can now eat at restaurants now. Ihis medication put reassurance back in my life again."

blaze420711 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diarrhea "Lomotil made me extremely drowsy and nauseous. I thought it was my stomach infection, it only happened every 8 hours and after I took the pill."

Anonymous July 4, 2012

For Diarrhea "It made me constipated for 3 days."

Anonymous May 17, 2012

For Diarrhea "I was having to go 10 plus times a day and started to lose weight because every time I ate I had to run to the bathroom. So now with the Lomotil I go maybe three times a day and I only have to take 3 of these a day, which is nice 2 in the morning after the first trip to the bathroom and 1 after each extra trip which only ends up to be two more times, 3 at the most. This is the one medicine I don't want to live without."

jilly bean January 7, 2012

For Diarrhea "Lomotil has been a complete blessing for me. Imodium did not touch my severe diarrhea. I suffer from depression, anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia. With these symptoms caused severe stomach problems. When given Lomotil for a possible chance it might help, I am now living without being in the bathroom every hour. I found no side effects. I cannot even tell you the difference it has made. When I do have to leave home. I have no worries about finding where the bathroom is before I even proceed to do what I have to do. YES! This is one miracle in my life that brings some normality to scratch off my list of problems. I can even eat out at restaurants now."

ThankfultomyDr. September 27, 2011

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diarrhea "An emergency room doctor prescribed Lomotil for some severe diarrhea that I had been experiencing for days. Was very dehydrated. They gave me one orally while I was in the E.R., and my diarrhea stopped so quickly that I was unable to provide them with a stool sample. Lomotil is unreal. It works so incredibly quickly to calm the spasming intestines -- I'm talking a matter of a couple of minutes! "

Hypsan November 30, 2010

For Diarrhea "I recently underwent radiation therapy for uterine cancer. It made my IBS (predominately diarrhea) 10x worse. It was so bad I couldn't eat anything without making me feel sicker. My oncologist suggest Imodium which didn't work until she added Lomotil to the Imodium. Together it works and I can do activities without worrying about another episode."

debr88 September 7, 2010

For Diarrhea "I had my colon removed due to Ulcerative Colitis and have been running to the bathroom regularly. I was taking 8 Lomotil a day and still going 8 times a day."

Anonymous July 16, 2010

For Diarrhea "I have been on Lomotil for 3 years now. The first year it worked pretty well controlling my IBS and diarrhea. The last 8 months I go many times a day and am in pain. Finally got an appointment with a new GI Specialist. Hopefully he can get me back to where I can live a 1/2 way normal life."

Anonymous May 17, 2010

For Diarrhea "I am taking Lomotil because I had surgery. Then bone infection set in and I had to take IV antibiotics which caused extensive diarrhea. The first day I took Lomotil, it worked great for about 10 hours, but the following days, decreased in its effectiveness. By the third day, it was no longer working for me, but I attribute this to the antibiotics. I will have to let my doctor know so that he can possibly prescribe another anti-diarrhea medicine or change my antibiotic."

moezoe3 May 2, 2010

For Diarrhea "I was in hospital for Severe Ulcerative Colitis. I was so bad I was going 20 to 40 times a day. Right now I have no insurance, but can afford Lomotil, and it has me slowed down to 3 to 7 times a day which I love and can more than live with. It does say it can blur your vision but so can diabetes, and I take so much predisone it makes my sugar stay high all day too. "

Tightline December 16, 2009

For Diarrhea "I have many things wrong with me, one of them being IBS. I was having such a hard time carrying out my daily routines because I would be in the bathroom most of the time. My stomach hurt real bad too. It was so bad I had to go to the Urgent Health Care then the hospital. They could not find anything abnormal in my blood work or my CAT scan so the doctor prescribed these. Within days I was feeling great! Now I am on them all the time because that is how severe my condition is but it makes life a lot easier. It takes away the stomach cramping and I only have a bowel movement like 3 times a day compared to 20-30."

Anonymous November 16, 2009

For Diarrhea "I do not have a colon anymore (surgically removed due to pre-cancerous condition). I have had problems with chronic diarrhea since. Was recently prescribed Lomotil after a particularly severe bout of diarrhea which landed me in the hospital. Lomotil works great, no unpleasant side effects for me. careful to use only as much as needed though as too much might make you constipated which is why I'm giving it an 8/10. Otherwise, it's a lifesaver. I have been able to resume my regular life, no longer being a prisoner in my home due to fear of going out and not being able to get to a bathroom quickly enough."

Robin1957 November 2, 2009

For Diarrhea "I use Lomotil to control diarrhea which occurs sporatically following anal cancer treatment. This is a miracle drug for me. Greatly improves my quality of life. I don't take it regularly, but it is reassuring to know I have it when needed. Immodium AD just doesn't work; Taking it regularly was a waste of money. Lomotil has never made me constipated, though I have noticed mild nausea recently. This does not occur everytime I take it."

annpeeplesgmail.com October 28, 2009

For Diarrhea "It made me constipated for 6 days!"

Anonymous August 31, 2009

For Diarrhea "Works so fast. Best help I ever had to control irritable bowel syndrome. Doctors should have given this a long time ago instead of me suffering for 25 years."

Anonymous August 4, 2009

For Diarrhea "It worked within a few days"

Anonymous October 8, 2008

For Diarrhea "Works really fast. "

Pradip123 September 14, 2008

For Diarrhea "Really works fast and without any side effects. Seems to clear up persistant and ongoing diarrhea overnight. Taking the tiny tablets is much better than dealing with liquids."

lorenhays September 7, 2008