User Reviews for Atropine / diphenoxylate

Also known as: Logen, Lomanate, Lomocot, Lomotil, Lonox, Vi-Atro

Learn more about Atropine/diphenoxylate.

Atropine/diphenoxylate Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 103 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea.

Reviews for Atropine/diphenoxylate to treat Diarrhea

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I've had IBS for years but when I had colon surgery 3 years ago, I started to really have problems with chronic severe diarrhea--10 to 12 x's a day. I was miserable, leaking, wearing Depends, just depressed about no solution. Finally I found a doctor who prescribed Lomotil--2 tabs--4 x's a day and it worked! And without any side effects. I'm now down to 2 or 3 doses a day and feeling so much better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"Crohns dx and anxiety disorder. I had a 4th degree tear during childbirth and the doctors were unaware I have crohns until 4 yrs later. this was after surgery after surgery in an attempt to repair a rectal-vaginal fistula. I would go into extreme flairs after each surgery then the acidic diarrhea would eat away my perennial wall and rectum/vagina. I was wearing diapers for 4 yrs until I finally was diagnosed. (bag) I was taking lomotil and an opium tincture to control the diarrhea... alternating oxy and Vicodin for their constipating effect .) I can get some constipation for a few days after using lomotil which is painful in itself... I prefer hyscyamine for remission."

crohns pt March 10, 2015

"Had a bout of what I was beginning to think was food poisoning. Long story short I landed in the ER. This was prescribed for me along with antibiotics. I have taken exactly one pill, one, a little over 48 hours ago. Have gone from extreme diarrhea (every 15 - 30 minutes) to not being able to go at all. From one dose. Does this stuff work as advertised? Unequivocally Yes! I am a bit nervous at this point as to whether I will ever be able to 'go' again? I have to admit - yes!"

Kerby88 (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2014

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I'm a 32 y/o female who has suffered from chronic diarrhea related to anxiety for about 5 years. I have anywhere from 2 to 10 bouts of diarrhea a day. I was very excited to try Lomotil after reading so many positive reviews. I have been taking 2 pills 4 times a days, as prescribed. This medicine did not work for me, and the side effects are awful. I am still having urgent bouts of diarrhea. Also, this medicine makes me feel so sleepy that I can barely hold my eyes open. I took my last dose about 18 hours ago, and still feel very groggy. The dry mouth is so bad that it wakes me up, even though I have been staying hydrated. I am discontinuing this!"

AutumnB (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2014

"I have had severe diarrhea since I was 13 years old. After countless other trials on different medications with no success I was finally put on Lomotil. It has changed my life, I no longer have to go 6 or 7 times a day or constantly arrange my schedule around my problem. I have been on it for 2 years now and unfortunately was misinformed by a former GI doctor that it was no different than Imodium or I would have tried it earlier. Very effective!"

IBS (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2013

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "This medication has been a God send. Before I knew about this medication I was in and out of the bathroom at least 7 times in one day and it was every time I put food in my mouth. That went on for a full year, I couldn't go anywhere without going to the bathroom first and if I was out and about I couldn't eat anything until I got home. Me and my wife couldn't even go out to eat on our anniversary because of my problem. It was taking over my life and I was getting depressed, but then my doctor gave me Lomotil and it works like a charm. Instead of going to the bathroom after each time I put food in my mouth. I now only go about 2 times a day and I can now eat at restaurants now. Ihis medication put reassurance back in my life again."

blaze420711 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "Lomotil made me extremely drowsy and nauseous. I thought it was my stomach infection, it only happened every 8 hours and after I took the pill."

Anonymous July 4, 2012

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "It made me constipated for 3 days."

Anonymous May 17, 2012

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I was having to go 10 plus times a day and started to lose weight because every time I ate I had to run to the bathroom. So now with the Lomotil I go maybe three times a day and I only have to take 3 of these a day, which is nice 2 in the morning after the first trip to the bathroom and 1 after each extra trip which only ends up to be two more times, 3 at the most. This is the one medicine I don't want to live without."

jilly bean January 7, 2012

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "Lomotil has been a complete blessing for me. Imodium did not touch my severe diarrhea. I suffer from depression, anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia. With these symptoms caused severe stomach problems. When given Lomotil for a possible chance it might help, I am now living without being in the bathroom every hour. I found no side effects. I cannot even tell you the difference it has made. When I do have to leave home. I have no worries about finding where the bathroom is before I even proceed to do what I have to do. YES! This is one miracle in my life that brings some normality to scratch off my list of problems. I can even eat out at restaurants now."

ThankfultomyDr. September 27, 2011

"I have taken this medication since 2008. I have colitis and taking this medication has done wonders. It works quickly and lasts long. I've had no side effects."

tdl86 August 3, 2011

"I am a veteran. I suffer from PTSD, severe anxiety disorder, agoraphobia (deathly fear of leaving my home), and within the last 2 years, IBS. My diarrhea was truly horrid. IBS topped with severe anxiety is unfathomable. I went through every test possible including CT Scans and multiple colonoscopies just looking for some reason, any reason, for the constant times spent literally in a panicked run to the bathroom. They didn't reveal a thing except that you are not immune to having an 'episode' just because you are in a CT machine; very embarrassing. I changed my medicines around and wound up with the opportunity to try Atropine without nasty interactions. It has not completely cured me, but it is by far the best I've tried, and, I have been on many medicines."

Kennan May 4, 2011

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "An emergency room doctor prescribed Lomotil for some severe diarrhea that I had been experiencing for days. Was very dehydrated. They gave me one orally while I was in the E.R., and my diarrhea stopped so quickly that I was unable to provide them with a stool sample. Lomotil is unreal. It works so incredibly quickly to calm the spasming intestines -- I'm talking a matter of a couple of minutes! "

Hypsan November 30, 2010

"I have Ulcerative Colitis and was just prescribed atropine/diphenoxylate along with Asacol. So far it has only been a couple of days and my bathroom urges are down significantly, from 10-15 to 3-5 times a day. Where has this been in the past 2 years? I was taking Imodium and it was not doing much. I can actually go out now and not worry that I won't find a bathroom in time."

iHateUC October 29, 2010

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I recently underwent radiation therapy for uterine cancer. It made my IBS (predominately diarrhea) 10x worse. It was so bad I couldn't eat anything without making me feel sicker. My oncologist suggest Imodium which didn't work until she added Lomotil to the Imodium. Together it works and I can do activities without worrying about another episode."

debr88 September 7, 2010

"I've been taking this medicine for colitis for 3 years and now I can take my daughters out by myself. I'm not running to the bathroom or having accidents, it's wonderful. I do have constipation. So anyone with colitis should try it - I take 2 pills in the morning then 1 every 5 hours everyday, and I'm loving life finally."

mtarv July 26, 2010

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I had my colon removed due to Ulcerative Colitis and have been running to the bathroom regularly. I was taking 8 Lomotil a day and still going 8 times a day."

Anonymous July 16, 2010

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I have been on Lomotil for 3 years now. The first year it worked pretty well controlling my IBS and diarrhea. The last 8 months I go many times a day and am in pain. Finally got an appointment with a new GI Specialist. Hopefully he can get me back to where I can live a 1/2 way normal life."

Anonymous May 17, 2010

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I am taking Lomotil because I had surgery. Then bone infection set in and I had to take IV antibiotics which caused extensive diarrhea. The first day I took Lomotil, it worked great for about 10 hours, but the following days, decreased in its effectiveness. By the third day, it was no longer working for me, but I attribute this to the antibiotics. I will have to let my doctor know so that he can possibly prescribe another anti-diarrhea medicine or change my antibiotic."

moezoe3 May 2, 2010

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I was in hospital for Severe Ulcerative Colitis. I was so bad I was going 20 to 40 times a day. Right now I have no insurance, but can afford Lomotil, and it has me slowed down to 3 to 7 times a day which I love and can more than live with. It does say it can blur your vision but so can diabetes, and I take so much predisone it makes my sugar stay high all day too. "

Tightline December 16, 2009

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I have many things wrong with me, one of them being IBS. I was having such a hard time carrying out my daily routines because I would be in the bathroom most of the time. My stomach hurt real bad too. It was so bad I had to go to the Urgent Health Care then the hospital. They could not find anything abnormal in my blood work or my CAT scan so the doctor prescribed these. Within days I was feeling great! Now I am on them all the time because that is how severe my condition is but it makes life a lot easier. It takes away the stomach cramping and I only have a bowel movement like 3 times a day compared to 20-30."

Anonymous November 16, 2009

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I do not have a colon anymore (surgically removed due to pre-cancerous condition). I have had problems with chronic diarrhea since. Was recently prescribed Lomotil after a particularly severe bout of diarrhea which landed me in the hospital. Lomotil works great, no unpleasant side effects for me. careful to use only as much as needed though as too much might make you constipated which is why I'm giving it an 8/10. Otherwise, it's a lifesaver. I have been able to resume my regular life, no longer being a prisoner in my home due to fear of going out and not being able to get to a bathroom quickly enough."

Robin1957 November 2, 2009

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "I use Lomotil to control diarrhea which occurs sporatically following anal cancer treatment. This is a miracle drug for me. Greatly improves my quality of life. I don't take it regularly, but it is reassuring to know I have it when needed. Immodium AD just doesn't work; Taking it regularly was a waste of money. Lomotil has never made me constipated, though I have noticed mild nausea recently. This does not occur everytime I take it."

annpeeplesgmail.com October 28, 2009

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "It made me constipated for 6 days!"

Anonymous August 31, 2009

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate): "Works so fast. Best help I ever had to control irritable bowel syndrome. Doctors should have given this a long time ago instead of me suffering for 25 years."

Anonymous August 4, 2009