User Reviews for Lipitor

Learn more about Lipitor.

Lipitor review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 259 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Lipitor to treat High Cholesterol

Review by nana500:

My cardiologist took me off Lipitor 2 weeks ago-my cholesterol is great after being on a low carb diet. Previously my body was covered in bruises at all times which I had attributed to other medicines(Plavix and aspirin) I Just realized I am bruise free for the first time in over a year. Conclusion: it was the Lipitor causing the problem.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 9:46 AM

Review by Kate g:

Took Lipitor for about 5 years. It kept my lipids under control well, but developed severe leg aching and muscle cramps, especially at night. Went off it and within a week, all these reactions disappeared.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 8:43 AM

Review by momlovestobake:

I have taken this for 8 years but it makes me feel like a zombie. And it affects my memory and motor skills. I recently went back to work and had to quit the lipitor because it affected my ability to work. Don't know what I will try next. Started on Crestor 9 years ago and couldn't stand the pain in my legs.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2013 12:11 AM

Review by jcvdm (taken for 10 years or more):

Have been on this so long but recently I feel it creates nausea and stomach/abdominal pain. No matter when I take it with or without food I seem to get this reaction. My Dr is stumped, but I cannot get past this awful "sick" feeling all the time. When I stop taking it I do much better. When I start again the same thing happens. My only other prescription is for High blood pressure and is the same as I have always taken so we figure it is not that.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2013 3:17 PM

Review by mizzannie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lipitor plus Zetia lowered cholesteral from 300 to 200, lots of aches, pains and charley-horses in the legs especially going up and down stairs. High cholesteral prominent in the family genes. Now have nasty skin rashes red welts with itch that is a torture, dermatology, allergist and GP have no answers. I am guessing it is the statins as its the only other thing I take is a LD aspirin.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2012 9:19 AM

I was placed on Lipitor 10 mg after trying all of the other cholesterol reducing drugs. Developed after three days, very stiff neck and overall muscle soreness. Doctor ordered a CPK test and my levels are off. She discontinued me on this medication. Must not be for everyone. Will continue with my diet and exercise. My cholesterol must be hereditary since I follow Weight Watchers, have lost weight and I exercise daily.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2011 9:54 AM

Review by Kara592:

My dad takes Lipitor and he is very happy with it. His cholesterol levels are much closer to his target level, with no side effects.

July 8, 2011 4:19 PM

I've been taking Lipitor for over 4 years-no side effects noted and my cholesterol is now 132, Trigycedrides 84, LDL 65, and HDL 50.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2010 2:50 AM

Review by jpc330:

Works well at lowering lipids when combined with Niaspan. Had to discontinue because of cognitive disorders and severe muscle pain. No rhabdo, however.

March 10, 2010 12:35 AM

Review by Da pig:

My number was 240 with a bad ratio. Now its around 140 with a great ratio.

February 5, 2010 6:48 PM

Lipitor gave huge muscle cramps in my legs, sides and stomach.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2009 11:39 AM

43 year old male been on 20mg lipitor for 3 months, alot of side effects for first month mainly muscle spasms and uneasy stomach. Cholesterol went from 240 to 120, cut dose in half, and no more side effects.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2009 10:07 PM

Been on Lipitor for 7 months & it worked very well. Then I developed a rash that drove me crazy.

October 15, 2009 11:22 PM

Suffered from memory loss/lapse and muscle aches/cramps in my legs. Switched to Crestor and have had no side effects at all.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2009 3:40 PM

Review by PASSION4ROSES:

I was prescribed 40 mgs of Lipitor for Heart Disease. I was on it for 9 months. It did lower my cholesterol, but had a lot of undesired bad side effects! Right away I noticed Memory problems, forgetfulness, confusion and was just fog headed. Then of course I experienced the usual muscle pain. I also noticed being angry for no apparent reason. I talked to my Cardio and he took me off of it.

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2009 8:25 AM

I was taking the combination drug Caduet, of which Lipitor was one of the two drugs. Steadily over a year my doctor increased the medication from 20mg to 40mg, and then about three months ago he increased it to 80mg. Within a month I was experienceing severe tiredness, and eventually sever muscle weakness, coupled with elevated CK readings. On doing some research on the drug I found that the symptoms I had were indeed a major drug reaction. Although Lipitor helped in the reduction of my cholesterol levels, the side effects were debilitating. Within a week of having the medication changed to a non-statin I was beginning to feel better. A month later I am close to being back to my old self. There are other better alternatives.

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2009 4:35 AM

Review by bonobo:

My cholesterol dropped from 302 to 213 in 6 weeks. Seems to be causing constipation. Also, questioning weight gain. Otherwise, effective.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2009 9:12 PM

Have been taking 10 mg for about 2 years, doctor recently increased to 50 mg, my legs are cramping up and are sore from where they have cramped. I am going to doctor tomorrow to see if dose can be reduced.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2009 11:20 PM

I suffered frequent and prolonged cramps in my legs for anything from two/four times weekly at night, waking me from a sound sleep.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2009 12:17 AM

Review by Dusty Roads:

Very healthy 50 year old white male. Developed severe rash on right inside thigh. Doctor immediately suggested to stop taking Lipitor, which I did. FUNNY, Crestor produced same rash in same place. Doctor was amazed.

June 11, 2009 6:28 PM

Review by anon imus:

Reduced my overall cholesterol from 288 to 126 in one month. However, I now seem to have a lot of various pains throughout my body. Feet, back, etc.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2009 6:39 AM

Lowers cholestorol but I have the oddest side effect - I call it itchy feet. In the bottoms only and nothing stops the itchy feeling, except Neurontin. It's an internal nerve itch, not external. I was scratching on concrete, anything to make it stop.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2009 7:40 PM

Many side effects. Such as muscle pain, weakness, tenderness, gas, blurred vision.

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2009 4:49 PM

Works best for me with zetia.

September 30, 2008 8:45 PM

Review by mtmnjde:

This medicine is wonderful. My cholesterol was around 225. After taking Lipitor is around 130. Amazing stuff.

July 28, 2008 1:21 PM