User Reviews for Lipitor

Learn more about Lipitor.

Lipitor Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Lipitor to treat High Cholesterol

"In the past year I have experienced four occasions of hyperlipidemia, rhabdomylosis, and acute renal failure. All four times I woke up in ICU and had a lengthy stay in the hospital. I am still taking atorvastin, have muscle aches and pains, with weakness, joint pain and stiffness, and restless legs, with no control of movement. I am miserable most of the time. Recently my doctor stopped the lipitor for the next six weeks to see what changes may happen."

pj1962 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2015

"At 40 mg, lipitor was too effective for me. My Total Cholesterol dropped from the 230's down to 138 in 4 weeks. The doctor covering for my regular doctor was thrilled. Then the other nasty effect of the Lipitor kicked in, the anger. It made me want yell and scream how much of an idiot he was when he disagreed that my cholesterol was too low. How dare that man question me about my mood? It is a very aggressive anger that makes you want to snap. I suggested reducing the dose by half and retesting. 4 weeks later my TC was 158 and my LDL was still less 100, my regular doctor was happy with that. The best part was anger was gone and I felt better. My regular doctor never heard about this anger side effect."

Reruho (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

"On Lipitor I developed Polyneuropathy in my left foot. Burning and electrical charge sensations. Stopped Lipitor and problem went. Took several weeks before it left my body.Everyone on Statins should be taking Co Enzyme Q10 or Ubiquinol to help prevent muscle pains. I prefer quality of life to one of pain. I am an active healthy 83 yr old with high cholesterol. "

Katnic July 27, 2015

"I have been taking Lipitor for 8 years now with no problems whatsoever."

Harold Sr. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2015

"I've been on Lipitor (Atorvastin) 40mg for about 6 years and complained about leg cramps for 5 of those years. All I kept hearing was the "low on potassium" with never a solution. The cramps have been unrelenting and at times, all day long. Legs, feet, toes, fingers. Talking to a friend about this the other day, she said she had to stop taking Lipitor due to leg cramps. Well, knock me down. I never associated this cramping with my cholesterol medication. I stopped taking it a week ago and haven't had one single cramp! Now I have to find another cholesterol medication but it sounds like all of them can have this side effect."

carolo43 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2015

"I'm 58 always kept in shape and ate well but LDL was still elevated. I'm not sure if it's coincidental but I have more energy, better in bed and have not had an a-fibrilation episode since I've been on 10mg daily. I know it sounds like a commercial but that has been my experience. My main or larger arteries are clear of plaque but I may have had blocking of the smaller ones and the Lipitor may have helped clear them. Or I'm just lucky."

sfzhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

"My cardiologist took me off Lipitor 2 weeks ago-my cholesterol is great after being on a low carb diet. Previously my body was covered in bruises at all times which I had attributed to other medicines(Plavix and aspirin) I Just realized I am bruise free for the first time in over a year. Conclusion: it was the Lipitor causing the problem. "

nana500 October 3, 2013

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Took Lipitor for about 5 years. It kept my lipids under control well, but developed severe leg aching and muscle cramps, especially at night. Went off it and within a week, all these reactions disappeared."

Kate g August 27, 2013

203 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken this for 8 years but it makes me feel like a zombie. And it affects my memory and motor skills. I recently went back to work and had to quit the lipitor because it affected my ability to work. Don't know what I will try next. Started on Crestor 9 years ago and couldn't stand the pain in my legs."

momlovestobake August 14, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on this so long but recently I feel it creates nausea and stomach/abdominal pain. No matter when I take it with or without food I seem to get this reaction. My Dr is stumped, but I cannot get past this awful "sick" feeling all the time. When I stop taking it I do much better. When I start again the same thing happens. My only other prescription is for High blood pressure and is the same as I have always taken so we figure it is not that. "

jcvdm (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Lipitor plus Zetia lowered cholesteral from 300 to 200, lots of aches, pains and charley-horses in the legs especially going up and down stairs. High cholesteral prominent in the family genes. Now have nasty skin rashes red welts with itch that is a torture, dermatology, allergist and GP have no answers. I am guessing it is the statins as its the only other thing I take is a LD aspirin. "

mizzannie (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2012

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was placed on Lipitor 10 mg after trying all of the other cholesterol reducing drugs. Developed after three days, very stiff neck and overall muscle soreness. Doctor ordered a CPK test and my levels are off. She discontinued me on this medication. Must not be for everyone. Will continue with my diet and exercise. My cholesterol must be hereditary since I follow Weight Watchers, have lost weight and I exercise daily."

Anonymous August 12, 2011

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My dad takes Lipitor and he is very happy with it. His cholesterol levels are much closer to his target level, with no side effects. "

Kara592 July 8, 2011

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking Lipitor for over 4 years-no side effects noted and my cholesterol is now 132, Trigycedrides 84, LDL 65, and HDL 50."

Anonymous June 2, 2010

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Works well at lowering lipids when combined with Niaspan. Had to discontinue because of cognitive disorders and severe muscle pain. No rhabdo, however."

jpc330 March 10, 2010

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My number was 240 with a bad ratio. Now its around 140 with a great ratio."

Da pig February 5, 2010

"Lipitor gave huge muscle cramps in my legs, sides and stomach."

Anonymous December 16, 2009

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"43 year old male been on 20mg lipitor for 3 months, alot of side effects for first month mainly muscle spasms and uneasy stomach. Cholesterol went from 240 to 120, cut dose in half, and no more side effects."

Anonymous November 19, 2009

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been on Lipitor for 7 months & it worked very well. Then I developed a rash that drove me crazy."

Anonymous October 15, 2009

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Suffered from memory loss/lapse and muscle aches/cramps in my legs. Switched to Crestor and have had no side effects at all."

Anonymous October 8, 2009

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed 40 mgs of Lipitor for Heart Disease. I was on it for 9 months. It did lower my cholesterol, but had a lot of undesired bad side effects! Right away I noticed Memory problems, forgetfulness, confusion and was just fog headed. Then of course I experienced the usual muscle pain. I also noticed being angry for no apparent reason. I talked to my Cardio and he took me off of it."

PASSION4ROSES October 5, 2009

194 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was taking the combination drug Caduet, of which Lipitor was one of the two drugs. Steadily over a year my doctor increased the medication from 20mg to 40mg, and then about three months ago he increased it to 80mg. Within a month I was experienceing severe tiredness, and eventually sever muscle weakness, coupled with elevated CK readings. On doing some research on the drug I found that the symptoms I had were indeed a major drug reaction. Although Lipitor helped in the reduction of my cholesterol levels, the side effects were debilitating. Within a week of having the medication changed to a non-statin I was beginning to feel better. A month later I am close to being back to my old self. There are other better alternatives."

Anonymous September 21, 2009

239 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My cholesterol dropped from 302 to 213 in 6 weeks. Seems to be causing constipation. Also, questioning weight gain. Otherwise, effective."

bonobo September 13, 2009

"Have been taking 10 mg for about 2 years, doctor recently increased to 50 mg, my legs are cramping up and are sore from where they have cramped. I am going to doctor tomorrow to see if dose can be reduced."

Anonymous August 16, 2009

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I suffered frequent and prolonged cramps in my legs for anything from two/four times weekly at night, waking me from a sound sleep."

Anonymous July 20, 2009

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about High Cholesterol