User Reviews for Strattera

Learn more about Strattera.

Strattera review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Strattera to treat ADHD

Review by AnnieBeane (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I wanted to do an updated review on this medication. I am in my 9th month of taking it, and, before Obama Care I ran out a few times, and the effects were very noticeable. Even though it is not supposed to have classic SSRI withdrawal symptoms, I still had severe brain zaps. I have my script filled and I am back on it. I am such a better worker, listener and planner on this medication. I am a better version of myself. Love it! I take 40mg a day, 60mg was too much. I am 160lbs tall female 34 yo.

March 20, 2014 6:11 AM
Review by CEVeck: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 9. I'm now 22. I've been on many medications for it. My favorite would have to be Adderall because it works now. Strattera is time release and it takes weeks to actually notice a difference. If you have patience for it then I'd recommend it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 14, 2014 2:01 PM
Review by Peteman: User Rating:

Straterra is changing my life. I held out for 4 months with the side effects and now the improvements are extremely significant. My memory is better and I can get myself easier into a concentration mode. Although it does not fight all symptoms, it enables you to start taking action against it, if that makes sense.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 8, 2014 6:11 AM
Review by UofI: User Rating:

I have been on Strattera for 4 months. I still find myself procrastinating a lot. I never eat, I lost 7 pounds the first week I was on it. Doctor then gave me Adderal. I find it way better except the fact it keeps you up all night.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2014 2:37 AM
Review by Umapuma: User Rating:

I am 48 year old women in good health. I did not notice a difference at all. The only side effects I had were some tiredness and loss of appetite. Good luck.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 18, 2014 7:42 PM
Review by Jaye jaye (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I am 15 years old girl and this was the first medication I ever took for my ADD and I don't even know if it worked for my ADD symptoms. But I do know the side effects of Strattera were all I had. I was depressed, numb, sleepy, could not eat and had anxiety. It felt like I wasn't on earth I was out in space numb to the world.

January 3, 2014 8:45 PM
Review by adhdteen (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Took this since 3rd grade. It made me tried and I became depressed. After getting off the pills I became myself again. I took it from 3rd grade till about 8th grade. I'm now in 10th grade with no ADHD meds at all.

November 16, 2013 8:59 PM
Review by Very pleased with Strattera (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I am pretty much in love with Strattera. I am a 19 year old female and was diagnosed with ADD around 8 months ago. The difference between my life on and off Strattera is huge. When I'm on it, I am so motivated and focused. I have a plan for every day of my life and, though I don't always get everything done on my list for the day, I at least try to be productive and I at least care about getting things done. When I'm not on it, I am a complete blob. I care very little about being productive and have issues even getting out of bed. Like, I will literally stay in bed ALL DAY. The only persistent side effect that I've experienced is dry mouth. If I miss a dosage and then take it again, I get super drowsy, but that goes away after a day.

October 7, 2013 6:36 AM
Review by Claytz86 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

As an adult living ADHD, I had no idea how it affected me. I was prescribed this by a psychiatrist, and almost immediately I was able to think more clearly, my memory felt better, I felt like I could concentrate on things. When someone spoke to me, I could actually listen and absorb what they were saying. Unfortunately I'm not on it anymore. It's hard to concentrate some days.

September 25, 2013 11:49 AM
Review by hpad:

My son was put on Strattera in the 3rd grade and his teacher then wrote a story about all of the kids in the classroom. He was the kid who slept through the 3rd grade. Needless to say he was prescribed a different medication.

September 20, 2013 7:16 AM
Review by Tiki time: User Rating:

My son was diagnosed with Autism, however he has symptoms of ADHD but is not. The ADHD meds. just made things worse for him so the Dr. gave me Strattera to try 10mg and it helped, I kept wondering why he could take this but not other ADHD meds. his pediatrician told me it is an antidepressant that was discovered to have a calming effect, and if it makes him tired take it at bedtime. It is very expensive but helps we have not been able to increase the dose, but kids on the spectrum are difficult to medicate.

August 22, 2013 7:03 PM
Review by Brightlight7 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This medication was not a good match for me. I was dizzy, nauseous and sleepy. I had to move very slowly in order not to make side effects worse. I only took one 45mg dose. I was given a verbal list of possible side effects from the pharmacist. I tried to keep an open mind as everyone may not experience negative side effects but in this case I did. I am an adult with ADD so I was prescribed this to help symptoms of inattention. The side effects lasted 24 hrs.

July 31, 2013 6:21 AM
Review by Tonytonytony97 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Makes me super depressed unmotivated and unable to enjoy anything. Does increase attention span at the cost of not wanting to do anything.

July 29, 2013 12:54 AM
Review by add1 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

It made me want to sleep all day and made me extremely nauseated. After a month of taking 40mg it didn't touch my ADHD and after a month of 60mg still nothing happened except the side effects.

July 25, 2013 8:44 PM
Review by Gonzalez-Cruz: User Rating:

I used Strattera for adult ADHD after I auto-diagnose and then was corroborated by my doctor. It helped me stay focused on any tasks I started to completion. I took it for more than a year but had to stop because was too expensive for me even with insurance. I had some side effects that I mentioned to the company Lilly. These side effects were slight dizziness, nausea if taken without food, hair on the back of my neck would raise sensation, and some stomach discomfort, but the worst was the size of my penis would decrease incredibly while flaccid (normally 3 inches, but after medication, about 1 inch or less) and would take a lot of stimulation to get an erection.

July 17, 2013 1:24 AM
Review by AnnieBeannie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Well, it only took 33 years for me (and a good doctor), to figure out what was wrong with me. I have had unexplained tachycardia (did EKGs and no problems, although never during an episode) since about age 8-9, I've had episodes of fainting, syncope, almost fainting, fatigue, being hyper and crashing. ADD symptoms, depression, mania. I have been treated for Depression and Mania, 3 years ago, and came oh so close to a solution, but the wrong meds made it even worse. Took 2 years to recover. Until, I got a new doctor, who treated my ADD and after two failed attempts to tolerate Adderall and Ritalin, prescribed Straterra, in the first 40 minutes I tool 25mg, my ADD symptoms subsided, and ALL other symptoms have resolved.

July 15, 2013 5:00 PM
Review by Tiz (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I am 32 & have walked around with ADHD for my entire life until a nurse suggested I get screened. My "Doc" told me I was Cyclothymic (Bipolar III) & that I was having panic attacks. I agreed but the symptoms never got better with the prescription I was on. I went to have my Echocardiogram & was told I gave Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Long story short, the benefits of this medicine have shown up in the 7 days that I have taken it. My pulse is lower, I haven't had any "panic attacks" & I'm starting to be able to focus a little better. I can't urinate as well unless I consume more water but I needed more anyway. This medicine has made me feel normal for the first time in many many years.

June 30, 2013 10:11 AM
Review by JoobJoob (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

My husband has ADD, and it really took a toll on our relationship. He was originally on Vyvanse, but it suppressed his appetite horribly. It didn't do enough in ratio to the side effects, so he decided to try Strattera. So far, it's been working decently. His main problem, however, is being able to urinate freely. I bought him Urinozinc Prostate Formula, and literally the first pill he took, he was able to urinate much more easily. Conversely, when he forgot a pill the other day, he noticed an immediate difference, and struggled to urinate. The supplement has allowed him to stay on Strattera. I note this stuff, as I have read that this is a common issue for men taking Strattera. Hope this helps others.

June 23, 2013 9:05 PM
Review by TeenwithADD (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was given Strattera to treat my ADD. I began taking it with a free packet that ranged from 20mg to 80mg. At about 40 mg I began to notice that I was able to concentrate better in school. When I got to 80mg I began to not daydream anymore and people found it easier to talk to me because I wouldn't be constantly jumping from subject to subject. My anxiety and sleep problem was also solved. However, after forgetting to take it one day, I got a massive headache, equal to a migraine. Besides that, I have had no other issues and it has made life much calmer and it has made my grades improve alot.

June 23, 2013 8:29 PM
Review by Kathy061576: User Rating:

I've been on Strattera for a month and am currently taking 60mg a day for ADHD and anxiety. I'm also taking Lexapro and Buspar. So far, I've experienced no side effects and this has been almost a miracle. My anxiety is almost gone, I am able to think more clearly and concentrate on work and other obligations. I'm much less impulsive than before taking Strattera and I tend to think things through before acting. My only complaint is the cost. My insurance doesn't cover my medicine.

June 20, 2013 11:15 PM
Review by Fred6: User Rating:

I would have only good things to say about Strattera if I could have got pass the constipation that started after week three.

June 15, 2013 5:31 AM
Review by Ktina: User Rating:

I am a 25 yr old female with ADHD And bipolar disorder. My doctor started me on Strattera a little over a month ago and it works great. I was having a hard time constraining in class (I'm a college student) and it really helps me focus. The only down side is the occasional nausea but I found if I take it on an empty stomach the nausea isn't so bad. I would suggest this medicine.

June 6, 2013 7:19 PM
Review by mindfactory (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

My son 13 has Strattera for almost a year. Starting from 10mg for a month, 20 mg for a month, 30 mg for 3 months, 40mg for 6 months then 50mg for now. The only side effect is dry mouth. Everything else is good, he can make friends and focus in class. However, I still think Strattera is not a magic pill. Combining both medication and behaviour modification works best for our ADHD children. Lots of love and acceptance are the best remedy,

April 25, 2013 9:49 PM
Review by Jimmy M. (Orlando) (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

This medicine "helps"...it is not a cure-all. My biggest side effect is I CAN'T SLEEP...Thankfully this passes after a few weeks. Overall, I have found this medicine to be helpful.

April 19, 2013 3:44 PM
Review by willfender (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

My son went on Strattera... came off after about 6 months because he found it terrible and was causing him pain, discomfort (mentally) and he was constantly crying, hurting himself and even one time fainted.

April 1, 2013 4:18 PM