User Reviews for Strattera

Learn more about Strattera.

Strattera Review Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Strattera to treat ADHD

"well...... it worked. that's about all I can say.You'll be able to focus, and if you don't mind the fact that the ONLY thing you'll be able to focus on is how tired, nauseated, and occasionally slightly mad you feel, this is the medicine for you. despite that, it's worth nothing that i'm only 17 and ~130 pounds which is really close to the minimum weight on the box. based on what i've seen, it seems to work better for ~30 year olds who aren't underweight. not a professional, obviously, though, so take this with a grain of salt."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2015

"Did absolutely nothing."

Bernard0071 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

"15 and diagnosed this year. I have been on it for 4 months (in conjunction with cipralex). Made a massive difference to my concentration levels and sustained energy, I had no idea it was possible to be this productive. Nausea was awful the first week (even threw up once) but faded quickly. I still need to eat alongside it to prevent nausea but since I take it at breakfast time its not a problem. only persistent side effect has been weight loss - abt 7 kgs in past 4 months - mostly due to appetite loss. I was on concerta (ritalin XR) beforehand and the side effects such as heart palpitations and insomnia were awful, also didn't help my adhd symptoms at all. I'd recommend strattera to people who've had bad results with stimulant adhd meds."

jamesy101 June 26, 2015

"Did not seem to notice much improvement, was on it for probably 8-10 wks."

Genesee1207 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

"I had been on Ritilan for 10 years and found I kept increasingly the dose every year or so. I went on this medication and got so sick. I was very angry and had urges to hurt people I cared about. It felt so weird my hair felt like it was growing tingly feeling. Vision impairment etc, I stopped taking this when I had such strong urges to strangle someone. Very scary. This medication is not for me."

tink0824 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2015

"I am an adult with ADD. I took Strattera according to my doctors recommendations, starting with 25mg and upping the dosage to 80mg gradually for 6 weeks. I noticed nausea almost immediately after I started taking the medicine along with unusual bouts of tiredness. I continued with the plan as I was told some of the initial side effects would ease as my body became accustomed. The side effects began to get worse, with frequent sweats, occasional sore throat, EXTREME tiredness, and the worst constipation I have ever had. I will say that my ability to stay focused was improved dramatically, but the side effects made it impossible to stay on the medicine."

snickerVP June 5, 2015

"Hated it!!! I was taking adderall for a year and it started making me feel anxious maybe one day a week. I was switched to this and once I started it my anxiety got really bad. I've never had a problem with anxiety and I really feel for the people that suffer from chronic anxiety! I also had a problem with dropping blood pressure (could be from adderall withdraw tho) I also had HORRIBLE mood swings. As soon as I would take it I was very negative about everything. I'm so glad to be off it now and so is my boyfriend!!"

anxiousdre June 5, 2015

"• Comprehension: Before: If you wanted me to pay attention, understand something, or even acknowledge it, you would often have to repeat it several times. I would misread or misunderstand things more than the average person. After: I understand most communication right away, including the emotions and attitude of the other person, which were often not even on my radar before. • Interpersonal Communication: Before: I was very likely to interrupt others. I wouldn't wait for others to speak before continuing my conversation. I came across as very harsh & critical. After: I'm better at engaging in appropriate give-and-take in conversation. I communicate in a much appropriate friendly tone. Dealing with adversity: Before: Even trivial matters would provoke a negative reaction, ruin my mood or trigger impulsive/disruptive behavior. I’d get down on myself for minor mistakes After: Even when things don’t go the way I like them to go, I handle things in a much more mature, measured way. When something goes wrong, I’m more likely to laugh it off than I used to. I’m more even keeled, less likely to fly off the handle."

DutchRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

"I couldn't handle the side affects. Night sweats with intense anxiety and nausea. Couldn't sleep. Terrible. Only lasted 2 weeks."

CrazyCatLady200 May 9, 2015

"This drug does help me calm down and focus (it also really helped me with my anxiety) but the side effects of vomiting, feeling like I don't care about the world and my head is squished in, and ultimately my inability to stay awake throughout the day left me asking my doctor for a change of medication. For reference, this was my first medication used to manage my adult ADHD and I started on one pill for three days and was moved up to two and these side effects worsened with two pills."

Brooke_Ann1993 April 28, 2015

"Worst treatment I've tried, may even exacerbate ADHD symptoms. Causes depression, fatigue and anxiety without even working to improve concentration. Don't even feel or act like myself since I started this med. People even know something is wrong when they talk to me. Trying to stop/change treatment, but Doctor only wants to keep me on this med until college semester is over. Have tried Concerta before, worked somewhat."

20y male college student April 27, 2015

"Diagnosed with having ADHD in my early 20's. Dr. wanted me to try out Strattera before a stimulant since I also have anxiety and he feared a med like Adderrall would make it worst. This is my second month on it and it does seem to be working. I am better able to concentrate and my head seems more "clear". I'm on 80mg. Stomach-aches and drowsiness started off horrible when I first began taking this med but these side effects are almost gone. Still get dry mouth which ranges from mild to "it feels like I've eaten cotton and sand". Unless the side effects are too intense for you, I would at least give this med two months. Think it gets such a bad rep because people don't give it a chance."

TXNchick April 18, 2015

"In my 30's, energy levels dropped and found life more challenging. I would wonder how I could get through the day. I took adderall but could feel that it wasn't right. I guess it felt too much of a party drug. After a few doses, I actually just felt, I suppose buzzed, not able to complete tasks. Perhaps the dose wasn't high enough? I went to my doctor with a list of meds. and notes. He picked up on straterra, which wasn't top. The instructions said it may take a month to work! It was instant! I am less irritable, have more mental energy. My brain must have been tired and my thoughts are more positive than negative. I have all the side effects, inconsistently. They are far outweighed by ++. Also try matcha green tea!!"

richie oc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2015

"Made me feel totally disconnected from social interaction,life,etc. its like it closed my head in."

Tim234515 April 10, 2015

"45 year old woman, 138lbs 5'7". Started at 25mg and titrated slowly. Noticed within a week my stress responses improved. Continued to increase as no change to organisation, memory or attention. Felt ok even at 100mg. Then since I started 120mg, I feel quite unwell. I don't think I'm unable to sustain this dose as side effects are strong: nausea after 1hr of ingestion, tiredness, feeling as though I've had too much strong coffee. The S/E definitely more pronounced if I'm not doing anything so I try and stay active and never take this on an empty stomach! I'll give it 2 more weeks at 120mg (which will be 6 weeks total) then gently titrate down. It gives me palpitations, too, which make me unhappy. I get this free on NHS in UK."

Atom68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2015

"I had bad reaction from Ritalin so I was given Strattera. Strattera gave me and still gives me a nauseous feeling, I always take it with food and after driving to avoid this side effect as much as possible. At times it gives me head aches and irritability due to me feeling off. It is very effective in controlling my hyperactivity. I am much more attentive. Its benefits out weigh its current side effects, I recommend talking to your doctor and to keep trying new medicines to find out what works best for you. I gave it a 6/10. Its expensive, $140ish"

StephySunshine April 6, 2015

"36 year old female diagnosed last year. I did not want medication, but fearing I'd lose my job from symptoms, talked to my doctor and gave Strattera a try. Been on it a month. Can see major improvements in concentration, getting things done, not jumping from one thing to another constantly. I'm also a calmer, less anxious version of myself, more patient mother. Things don't seem to bother me as much! My head is quiet. For side effects the first 2 days were bad - chills, tingling/current sensation on my scalp, upper back and neck and numb arms, drowsy. My doctor told me not to quit, so glad I did! No constipation or trouble urinating. Still get occasional chills and scalp tingling, low appetite (good cause I was overeating!). Hope it lasts!"

Lisa7171 March 30, 2015

"My son five has ADHD and anxiety and still further diagnosing. He was on it for a month and half and he was so awesome on it. Dr did 40 mg a day and love how it works throughout whole day. Unfortantly insurance did not want to approve before age six and it cost over 370 dollars. I've gone through way too many medicines with him. Once he turns six you best to believe we are going right back to it!"

jcwm5727 March 27, 2015

"I'm ADD and Bipolar. Strattera has helped give me a laser like focus in the morning. If I don't get enough sleep I can't stay awake (it seems to cause drowsiness) but if I am well rested, I am on task. The only negative is as the day wears on, it seems to lose effectiveness. I could use another dose by 3pm. I am thirsty all the time, dry mouth and not very hungry. I'm on my 2nd month and seeing how it goes. I've tried Adderall that made me way too nervous and Effexor which didn't do enough."

Bipolar party of two March 24, 2015

"This medicine was awful for me. I felt nauseous taking it, moodiness and had a hard time staying awake after 3-4 hours. I also had a hard time driving during that time too. Do not like it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2015

"Gums started hurting 2nd day 3rd day unbearable and face started to swell had to lie down as dizzy , violently sick, pins and needles in hand , very unhappy tooth ache I as trying to tolerate as got told takes time to work but I was in to much pain so phoned Dr who told me to stop taking it, I never want to take this drug ever again I feel very unwell. No help at all to my AHHD just feel completely Unwell"

Kazzarazza February 23, 2015

"I just started taking Strattera a little less than two weeks ago. I was taking Adderall for two years but my doctor took me off it because he was concerned that I suddenly began losing weight rapidly. I haven't noticed many side effects from Strattera but I have been a little more tired than usual. I still haven't seen any increase in my ability to focus but it seems like it could take up to a month or so for the full effect. However, I also have epilepsy which might possibly make my experience with it much different than others. Here's to hoping it works out!"

Firstt Timerr February 15, 2015

"I have been on Strattera for 5 weeks now. I'm 48 years old and have been treated for bipolar and anxiety disorders from the age 19, have tried dozens of med combinations and have been hospitalized a few times when unable to cope. This last time a therapist suggested it may be ADHD and doctor put me on 40mg... its a night and day difference. I have never in my life had this kind of clarity and focus and other then dry mouth and a bit of a lost appetite side effect which is much better then past combinations."

very great (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2015

"My son, now 10, was diagnosed with impulse control issues. He has always had As and Bs in school and always loves to read. He gets bored alot in class and his impulse control (blurting out, saying what's on his mind/no filter) had caused him to be put in alternative school (where his grades began to falter). Over the summer, we had him evaluated and they said that meds would help. Our general physician didn't want to put him on a stimulant and suggested Straterra. First 2 months @ 60mg. Lost 15lbs (which put him at the right weight actually) and slept all the time. Backed off to 40mg since then and he's maintained his weight, sleeps well and maintained grades. Too bad our monthly script cost increased x9. Looking for a cheaper alternative."

Sean Lee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2015

"I started with a low dose and then took the highest dose. I noticed nothing for the first two months and then I felt suicidal, derpressed and it did nothing for my ADHD. It was costly even with insurance and I had to stop taking it. Now I'm stuck with my ADHD and never have I felt worse than I did on this medication. It messes with your mind."

Jonathan C (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2015