User Reviews for Tenormin

Learn more about Tenormin.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 3 reviews 12 medications

7.5
Alcohol Withdrawal 0 reviews 19 medications

Angina 0 reviews 124 medications Not rated - Be the first
Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 0 reviews 130 medications Not rated - Be the first
Esophageal Variceal ...hage Prophylaxis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Tenormin reviews 19 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Tenormin

Review by Horrible side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Ever since taking this my throat has been swollen. I told the dr & he doesn't think its from the Atenolol but it didn't start until then. Its hard to sleep at night. I have horrible eye pressure and it makes me anxious. I'm hoping I can switch meds soon. It doesn't reduce my pressure much at all.

November 11, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by Aurora1:

For Migraine Prevention: Twenty years ago (in my mid thirties) I began to suffer from excruciating headaches. My doctor put me on progesterone cream, and there was some improvement. He thought that PMS was a contributing factor. I had a cardiac arrest when I was 38. Nothing was found to be wrong with my heart, but I was going through an emotional crisis at the time. The cardiologist put me on atenolol (25 mg/day; I now take 50 mg/day). I was put on the atenolol to keep my blood pressure down and keep my heart from beating too fast in emotional situations. The upside to all this is that I have not had but a couple of migraines in 20 years, and none since the dose was increased to 50 mg.

February 20, 2013 10:02 PM

Review by Trish Hendrix (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure went fro 160/100 to 110/70 and I have not had any side effects.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2013 10:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed this medicine for irregular heartbeat, but also noticed that it greatly affects my anxiety too. I would highly recommend it.

October 30, 2012 7:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: Have been using this for many years to regulate my heart beat as I have mitral prolapse and atrial tachycardia and have found it the best out of others.

July 31, 2012 5:56 PM

Review by lizzzz:

For Anxiety: This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2012 10:50 PM

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have been on Tenormin for about 4 years. It certainly has taken care of the heart palpitations. I do not take any caffeine. But other side-effects have occurred: asthma has gotten worse, I get winded after running only one and a half mile, more often than not, I feel tired, my hair is thinning, I have esophageal spasms, which I have read that Tenormin may induce upper GI problems. I am going off the medication to see if it makes a difference. I exercise regularly, and 7 years ago, my Doctor suggested I take Beta-Blockers, which I wasn't keen on, but since I exercise, he said it wasn't that imperative that I take it. So I'd rather run regularly, and efficiently and be off it.

May 30, 2011 7:51 AM

For Ventricular Tachycardia: Even though I have read that atenolol may raise 50% the risk for diabetes, I have used it for more than 20 years without any problems.

April 7, 2011 7:09 PM

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have taken Tenormin/Atenolol for Mitral Valve Prolapse, and accompanying arrhythmias, for probably 20 years. I VERY rarely have episodes and, so far as I am aware, no side effects of any kind.

April 7, 2010 9:54 AM

Review by rabaq2:

For High Blood Pressure: I just started this drug, noticed heart rate regulated ,and blood preasure and heart rate hasn't been this low in years, so far seems to be great. I am on 25mg - the lowest dose.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2010 1:12 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I took Tenormin years ago for migraines...guess it worked then too. But I had been taken off of it....last year alone I had over 20 migraines, I was put back on Tenormin in October 09, 1per day. I had 2 migraines by November 09 in which my dose was increased to 2/day (25mg). Today is Jan 27, 2010 and I haven't had a migraine since Nov 09.

January 27, 2010 2:50 PM

Review by stressedout:

For High Blood Pressure: I am a 48 yr male and have been taking as directed 50mg day for 6 months, blood pressure now 125/80 and stable. I drink approximately 1 liter of whiskey every two days and notice no other side effects other than I cannot maintain an erection for as long as before taking this. I should mention that I've been drinking this amount of rye since I was 20yrs old and that this is the only medicine I take.

November 14, 2009 3:54 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I took this medication for about a year. Felt severely depressed. Retained fluid. Switched medical insurance which resulted in my seeing another doctor. He changed me from Tenormin to Accupril. After one month, my world changed. No longer hated to get out of the bed each morning. Could now wear my wedding band on my ring finger. Tenormin was the wrong medicine for me. Wrote a letter to my prior doctor to let her know of my experience.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2009 4:05 PM

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: Had severe tachycardia since 2004. I take 50mg 2x daily and resting pulse remains below 100 bpm.

August 7, 2009 7:44 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I was taking Tenormin for about 3 years before I had an episode of chest pain. After tests it was determined that I have a myocardial bridge. At that time, I asked the doctor to change from Tenormin to something else, as I had frequent strange dreams. I now take Tiazac, and while my blood pressure seems stable, I have spells of tiredness, migraines and less frequently than before, strange dreams.

July 29, 2009 2:14 PM

Review by penelopeme:

For High Blood Pressure: Was on this for about 6 years. Was dieting and exercising and lost about 57 lbs. My pulse rate dropped to about 48-60, had all kinds of heart tests, scary, did not find any issues for the heart thankfully but the atenolol was taking my pulse down too low. Switched to Lisinopril just today, pulse is already in the normal range.

June 23, 2009 8:31 PM

Review by jaxony:

For Anxiety: This was prescribed for hypertension, and so far as I can tell I have had no problems with it. I cannot say whether it helps with anxiety, although my doctor said to take one when I felt as though my heart was racing. It seemed to help, but I do not know whether it was because of the Tenormin or the placebo effect.

June 21, 2009 6:28 PM

Review by DerGrosse:

For High Blood Pressure: I take a combo of Dyazide and Tenormin daily. Have been doing so for more than 30 years (80 now). I find thiis combo works very well for me. I have always had a high pulse rate and a high diastolic pressure. They have been excellently regulated with this combo.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2009 8:34 AM

Review by jaggia:

For High Blood Pressure: Very effective. I would feel pleasant within 15 - 20 minutes of taking one tablet of Tenormin. No side effects felt.

February 4, 2009 2:24 AM