User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Review by Benjamin P. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This have been a very good medication for me. I still have some symptoms like voices, and seeing things that are not there but, I am able to realize that they are not real and I can better take control of the situation.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2014 3:38 PM

Review by still affected:

I took Saphris for the first time recently. First I was sad, then couldn't sleep, then paranoid and went into psychosis. Was told it wasn't very sedating. Much prefer Seroquel!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2013 7:19 PM

Review by jmartineau:

Ive been taking Saphris, and it puts me to sleep. I've been taking it for almost 2 months. The only problems I have on it is that I have a extreme drop in blood pressure, becoming very dizzy, easily agitated, plus suicidal thoughts. It's a good sleep medicine though. I've been sleep deprived for several months and since I've been on this medicine I've been getting the proper rest that I need. Other than that I've been ok on taking Saphris.

January 3, 2013 10:25 PM

Review by Factfinder227 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine is a miracle for me. I used to be on Zyprexa, I am also on Abilify, Trileptal, Klonopin. On Saphris I was able to diet and exercise and lost about 28 pounds. Occasionally I have difficulty sleeping, but this medicine is the best I have come across. Along time ago I used to be on Lithium. I have also responded well to Navane. I almost was in the hospital until I tried the Klonopin. Anyone trying this medicine, in my opinion should be careful because it is so new. I have read the product insert and reactions with other medicines is not well studied. Currently I am dieting and exercising, socializing, and just about normal. I do have periods where my mood swings are preset along with a little paranoia.

December 17, 2012 7:28 PM

Review by Midniteyez (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Before taking Saphris I had hallucinations, both aural and visual; zero motivation, interest, and energy; a very flat mood, and paranoid delusions. Saphris has kept the visual hallucinations away, I do not hear voices anymore, I have interest, motivation, and energy, my mood is no longer flat and I have been feeling pretty good. It has not done anything for my delusion but I have hope that it will eventually help. I have experienced no side effects. I am on 10mg a day, 5 taken in the morning and 5 at night. I am not at 100 % but I am so much better than I was.

June 26, 2012 6:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

The first time I took Saphris this feeling of panic came over me and I had to call someone to talk me down. I took it for 2 months for the 1st month it was ok but into the 2nd month I had such extreme anxiety that I couldn't leave the house and had to take sick leave from my job for a month. It didn't work for me.

May 16, 2012 3:58 PM

Review by cdm1991:

This medicine has really helped me. I can focus in school, get my work done in time, and it controls my temper. This medicine tastes very horrible, but regardless it does a good job and keeps me steady. It also helps me sleep alot better at night. But I have been gaining a couple of pounds.

February 26, 2012 5:32 PM

Definitely ask for the black cherry flavor! I have been taking this since September and my dose was recently increased to 20 mg. I REALLY LOVE SAPHRIS! It can work on any symptom you have. Depression. Mania. Psychosis. Anxiety. You may even be able to get samples from your doctor since it is so new. If you take it all at night like I do, make sure you get 7-8 hours sleep. 6 will not do!

November 23, 2011 2:11 PM

I have the black cherry version because it is not as bitter. This medicine is quite expensive however works well for me. My paranoid thoughts still come to me a few times a week but I am not delusional at all. My mood is stable and I feel very 'normal'. Great Medicine!

November 2, 2011 10:08 PM

Ask for the black cherry, the taste is better by far. It is the only medication that has helped me and I do not feel hungover in the morning nor have I gained significant weight as I did while taking Seroquel. Happy to have a medication that has few side effects and leaves me able to function.

November 2, 2011 9:35 PM

I am on Day 2 of taking Saphris and I think it is a miracle. My doctor put me on 10mg at bedtime and I have slept like a baby for the first time in 3 years. He kept me on 1200 mg of Trileptal also at bedtime for mood swings. He also added Neurontin to take 4 times a day with my Klonopin. Yesterday I actually got out of bed and cleaned my apartment from top to bottom happily. I feel wonderful. I'm not tired or hung over and my mood is great. Also my anxiety is almost gone. I have not had any auditory or visual hallucinations so far. I have noticed that I eat like crazy for about 30 minutes after I take Saphris but then I get dizzy and fall fast asleep and don't wake up until morning.

October 20, 2011 7:15 AM

Review by Kazamyst:

I'm not good with any Atypical-Anti-psychotics. After the third day I swelled up 7 pounds, my face, hands, calves and feet were swollen. I was VERY asthmatic. I'm Schizo-affective Depressive Type. Mentally, for three days on 5mg morning and evening I didn't feel half bad. But I got a little strange mentally that I cannot quiet describe. Almost as if it made me somewhat loopy. It never made my tongue/mouth numb, had a bad taste for about 5 minutes. I don't know quiet what happened but it was lousy waiting out the Half-Life to the drug. I don't know if it interacted with one of my other medications.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2011 8:59 PM

I only take 5mg of Saphris in the morning plus Estroven that helps my anger and it has helped me a lot. I used to take 10mg but gave me suicidal thoughts so I just take 5mg in the morning only taking it day by day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2011 11:39 PM

It's under my tongue right now, and it does taste terrible... This medicine has been the best at controlling the depression and hallucinations for me, and I have tried many different medicines. The side effects I have are involuntary tongue "flipping," it makes me extremely sleepy. (I have to work really hard to stay awake after I take it in the morning), and sometimes I get a sore under my tongue, or my skin peels in my mouth. I've had some really bad stomach/intestinal problems since I've started taking it, but I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or not. It's also hard to keep a pill under your tongue for ten minutes twice a day, especially if you need to say something. Better than the alternative, though.

March 1, 2011 11:50 PM

Review by jclarson79:

This medicine is fantastic. I have been on almost all the medicines available for my disorder and I was previously on Fanapt which caused me to gain 15 pounds, and I think I might have gained a little with Saphris as it made me really hungry about half an hour after I took it for the first two weeks, but now that has tapered off and I find myself having to remind myself to eat. The only think I don't like about it is the taste, but I take it with a sweet tart (candy) on my tongue as it is dissolving under my tongue and it's not too bad. I get a good nights sleep on it as well and I don't feel the "hangover" effect that most psychiatric medications can give you. I'm up and ready to go!

February 2, 2011 6:14 PM

Review by novelle:

After going through another 23 drugs in the past six years, Saphris seems to be the one medicine that helps. I took the chance of taking this medication without Cogentin to see what the side effects would be and what I experienced was some restlessness in feeling that I needed to pace the floor as well as agitation. Taking this medication with Cogentin has rid the restlessness entirely. Saphris has calmed some of my mood swings and response to negativity from others. As for the schizophrenic side, it has kept the paranoia at bay.

December 26, 2010 5:00 PM

Review by Kahleia:

The medicine tastes bitter. It causes temporary numbness in my tongue. I take the 10mg sublingual form twice a day. I am careful to space it 12 hours apart because it drops my blood pressure taken too close together. Other medicines that cause sedation make me much more sleepy than they did before. Sometimes I feel restlessness or muscle stiffness. My moods are much more even than they were before. The audio or visual hallucination I was having are almost completely gone. I am responding to this medication a lot more than any of the others ( I have tried almost everything). Putting up with the side effects is definitely worth the good effects of the medication I am having!

June 8, 2010 8:37 AM

Review by zerocool777:

Started on this medicine in the hospital. So far it has worked at least as good as Zyprexa. It dose have a bitter taste to it but I have gotten used to it. The only thing I can say is I have a little bit more anxiety on it then Zyprexa but Ativan controls it pretty well and I sleep very well on it.

April 3, 2010 9:34 PM

Wow - this is interesting. First I was scared to try another anti-psychotic as I typically get akathisia, but for some reason I have not had issues with it this time around (so far). I have to say that Saphris works wonders on negative symptoms that most medicines would not really touch. I find myself actually wanting to go outside, and be around people and just do things in general - my lack of desire has just gone. This makes me so much more happier. I just didn't think it was possible, and that I was just stuck the way I was. It tastes nasty though and it numbs your tongue for 15-20 minutes. Also it puts me to sleep. But other than that I have to say the pros definitely do outweigh the cons. I just wish it would come in pill form!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2010 1:10 AM

Review by doveswife:

This medicine has good and bad points with me so far. I agree with the others--it makes my tongue go numb for a while and tastes horrid. The only side effect I experience (and I usually get the weird ones) is a slightly alarming drop in blood pressure. I just follow instructions and sit and stand very slowly and carefully. So far at 10mg 2 x day, it is doing a great job of controlling both mood swings and hallucinations.

January 28, 2010 11:32 PM