User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by bipolar12345:

I take a low dose of Saphris (5 mg). My experience with this medicine is simply incredible. It makes me feel so "zen" and happy, it's a feeling difficult to describe. I used to take clonazepam, but it never made me feel that great. Another good point is that it helps going to sleep, but waking up is easy (not like Seroquel and Zyprexa!!)

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 7:57 PM

Review by Andrew The Great (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Been on Saphris for almost a year. Have tried almost all of the others except for Latuda. My experience is that I have had the best dreams and put on the least amount of weight on this medicine. Also, not nearly as drowsy.

February 19, 2015 5:49 PM

Review by HiSpRiNcEsS (taken for less than 1 month):

Diagnosed ADHD, Bipolar, Major Depression, GAD, Panic disorder. Have been on Saphris 5 mg at night for 1 week. After the first dose I could tell a huge difference in my mood. For the first time in months I woke up in a great mood. After a few days, I knew I was no longer in mania. Which I've been in for at least 4 mths. My thinking is back to normal. The only problem I'm having is keeping my mood stabilized. When I take it at night it puts me to sleep in 15 min. No longer using sleeping meds. For one week of use I think it's a great medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 1:11 PM

Review by LJ Arizona (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Saphris for nine months. I am taking 20 mg at night. I find the medication puts me to sleep 10-15 minutes after taking my dosage. If I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I stumble around in a daze. After sleeping 9-10 hours, I wake up feeling refreshed. I also take Lamotrigine and Sertraline. To manage anxiety, I take Lorazepam as needed. It took me several months to see the full benefits. Today, I am under control. No suicidal thoughts. No aggressive behavior. I am no longer having the delusions that people are out to get me and/or I am being followed. Best of all the medication did not throw me into depression. I still have problems when I become overwhelmed or in a busy environment.

November 13, 2014 3:54 PM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started Saphris after experiencing some episodes of violent anger as a result of mixed episodes of my bipolar disorder. There was an almost immediate lessening of symptoms, making me feel calmer right away. I have experienced almost no side effects from the medicine other than occasional sleepiness, but nothing debilitating. I had little or no weight gain, which made me very happy. It also has a lower incidence of causing cholesterol and blood sugar issues than many other AAPs. I find Saphris very helpful for both the immediate treatment of a breakthrough mixed/manic episode as well as for daily maintenance.

October 1, 2014 8:00 PM

Review by Horrible drug (taken for less than 1 month):

I developed tardive dyskinesia of the toes, constant akathesia and inability to sit still. I stopped the medicine weeks ago and I still am moving.

September 24, 2014 8:24 PM

Review by that1hippiechick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have bipolar1, general & social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder. I've been on pretty much everything over the last 14 years. Seroquel worked well for over a year but the weight gain was awful. Regular exercise and healthy eating. Lithium and Lamictal replaced the Seroquel and seemed efficient, couldn't handle the nausea anymore after 2 yrs. 5 weeks ago I decided I wanted try Saphris. Psych agreed, decided to start low and slow as I tend to have allergic or increased anxiety with most medicines. Started on 2.5mg for a week. I literally felt better the next morning. I had increased energy and felt happy for the first time in over 10yrs. I'm up to 5mg pm, 2.5mg am. Anxiety decreased, and down to 1.5mg of Klonopin daily from 3mg. This is a miracle for me!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 7:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I take 3/4 of a 5mg Saphris and 200mg Epilim which helps to take the edge off of my anxiety and depression. I felt a difference within days of taking my first dose, like I could breathe again and didn't have the weight of the world on my shoulders. What I will say though is that medication is never the complete answer. My medicines have allowed me to get to a stable enough place where I am able to deal with the underlying issues causing my depression and anxiety. Does help me feel more comfortable in my own skin.

September 4, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by lake forest oconnor:

I took 1 5 mg a few nights ago. My body had unbearable muscle thrashing. I woke up every 2 minutes spasming out of control it was very painful as well and couldn't get sleep.

August 23, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by BradwickMD (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Saphris for bipolar disorder. The morning after my first bedtime dose I had a number of side effects. I experienced confusion, dizziness, hallucinations and acute short term memory loss. As a result of the confusion and acute short term memory loss, I unintentionally overdosed on my morning medications resulting in extreme doses of medications. The most concerning was a 900mg dose of Wellbutrin (bupropion) which in doses of 300mg or more can cause seizures.

August 10, 2014 1:00 PM

Review by Twightman91 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had been taking Saphris 10mg at bedtime for well over a year and then suddenly stopped taking it for a month to see how I would feel. In this month I was a wreck and had racing thoughts and couldn't fall asleep until 2am and would be up 6 hours later. I also found myself fantasizing about stuff and being unrealistic about things. I started taking it again close to a month ago and I really see how much it helps me. The only downside is that I sleep over 11 hours now and I get into such a deep sleep without waking up once.

July 23, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by djeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Bipolar with mixed episodes, ADHD and severe anxiety. Saphris was a miracle for me also. I've been on disability for 10 years and this is the first medicine I've taken that has made me functional. Absolutely can't take it the morning; it makes me incoherent for about 3 hours and I eat everything in sight. So I take all 20 mgs at night and am doing fine. Have mouth sores, though. My doctor said to alternate between taking it sublingually, supra lingually and but ally and it's helping.

June 29, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Reeena:

I have been on Saphris for about 3 months now. I take 15mgs at night. I'm able to sleep now without the help of any other medicine. I get restless from time to time but subdue it with Vistaril. Sometimes I get boosts of energy which can be good. My moods are more balanced than ever before. I can laugh things off instead of getting angry. The reason I gave Saphris a 9 is because it affects my libido. I recently started taking Wellbutrin to combat this. I hope it works!

May 10, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by Life is Great! (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started out with 20 mg of Saphris but stayed groggy. Went down to 10 mg and have been on it for 6 months. I also take a sleep aid at night and now I sleep 6-7 hrs compared to 3-4. No running thoughts in my head. The longest time I have ever stayed out of the hospital in 12 years. I feel wonderful, when I start getting anxious, I take a 5 mg with my Xanax and I am good to go. Downside: Gained 50 pds and cholesterol is through the roof, even though I do not eat red meat. Always have the munchies though. Had to start on a statin medicine. Blood sugar is higher than usual but within range. Keeping an eye out on this too. But this is the only medicine that has worked for me without being a zombie or continued mixed episodes.

April 9, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by Todd B. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I believe I have found the answer I have been looking for! Been on it about two months. I sleep throught the night with a lot less interruption and I fall asleep more quickly. My thought pattern is far less anxious and muddled; I am able to concentrate. My mood is far less out of whack and I am generally happy. The only downside for me is it gives me the munchies and I have diabetes, so I have gained some weight a bit rapidly. However, with a lot of effort, I have eliminated foods out of my diet that are carbs. I am starting to level out and I have a lot of hope for the future with this medicine. It is expensive, but I have good insurance.

March 18, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by Review gal:

Been bipolar for seventeen years, Saphris for two months, started out eating right after I took it and I was very sleepy. The eating eventually subsided but within ten days I started having jaw muscle tension. At first I had energy and the racing thoughts and paranoia went away. The sublingual dosing and taste seemed to be minor in the hopes that it would help symptoms. I would take it at night only, after getting everything done for the evening because it really made me sleep deeply, within fifteen minutes, when I really didn't have a sleeping problem before taking it. It did make me more alert during the day, which almost led to panic on several occasions. It was addressing psychosis symptoms but I continued a low level of depression

February 11, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by Anon434343:

Saphris is the best bi-polar medication I have taken. I sleep the best I ever had on Saphris and do not experience manic out bursts. Other bi-polar medications made me gain weight. On other medications I have gained 30 lbs in a short time frame. On Saphris, I haven't gained any weight and weigh a few pounds less than I did before I started to take Saphris.

February 9, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Anonymous88888:

I have Bipolar Disorder I, with rapid cycling and mixed states. I tried Saphris when I was recovering from a hospitalization which was very unpleasant and ended very badly. So I was a bit manic and terribly anxious going on it. I took it for 6 days. It seemed to work almost right away. I was shakey and anxious throughout the 6 days. Extremely sleepy and dizzy after my 5mg at bedtime. But that wore off after 4 days. Mood-wise, it seemed to completely stall my cycling. Miracle! And I was much calmer and less reactive, but definitely awake during the days. Then after my 6th dose I noticed my lips were puffy, and my tongue was fatter, then my throat got tight = allergic reaction. Worked great until that!

December 20, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking this for about 4 months now. While I admit I am awful at being consistent with new meds, I am blown away by how well Saphris has consistently toned down my impulsivity, irritation, edginess, suicidal ideations, and cycling depression. Unlike antipsychotics such as lithium, this stuff did not turn me into a walking zombie. I am still able to feel elated, just not so much so that I lose control of myself. Also it helps me have a regular sleeping pattern! I do not know how anyone can taking this in the morning as it knocks me out harder than ambien. The downside of it is that I am experiencing secondary nocturnal enuresis :S It is something I have always struggled with and I would not expect others to experience this.

October 20, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by KristiR (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am currently taking 1/4 of a 5 mg tablet (but started out on a 1/2 tablet) of Saphris at night. I am also on Lexapro, 10 mg for depression and anxiety. The combo works great. I have horrible insomnia/waking in the night on just Lexapro (or other SSRI's I've tried) but with Saphris I sleep great and wake up refreshed! Only downside is that I've put on 10-15 pounds in the last 6 months, but not sure if it is due to the Lexapro or Saphris or both. I eat very healthy (just too much) and exercise regularly....but find myself always feeling hungry. Oh well...at least I'm happy!

August 17, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by mcadams:

Saphris has helped me more than any other medication (which were many, many over 12 years). I was blown away by the benefit and bewildered that it took so long for someone to prescribe it. I still don't have the strength and energy that I need but I am functioning at 80% to 90%. Before it was barely hanging on with suicidal periods. Savella was another good medication for me but not quite this good. The racing thoughts, paranoia, and insomnia are gone. I usually fall asleep within 15 minutes of lying down. Although I am having some nights of waking up after 3 hours. Just getting to sleep earlier and getting the required sleep I need has made a tremendous difference in how I function and cope. My side effect has been arthritis and weight gain.

August 11, 2013 1:50 AM

Review by Maryjane543:

This medicine is a lifesaver without a doubt

August 5, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by Kissa miau (taken for less than 1 month):

I will give this a 2, simply because of the ease of use. The tabs dissolve under your tongue so you can take them anywhere. You cannot eat or drink for 10-15 min afterwards, which is really not a big deal. I am bipolar I with occasional mixed episodes and was prescribed this medicine (5 mg 2x daily) in the middle of a mixed episode while in the hospital. It propelled me into full-blown mania. As with all medicines and this disease, its very personal. This medicine might be more appropriate for someone less prone to mania than myself. I am on Topamax 150 mg (50 mg 3x daily) and Seroquel 100 mg nightly, now. I am not cured by a long shot, but I am certainly a lot better now, a month later, than I was on the Saphris.

August 2, 2013 10:09 PM

Review by Maya K:

I have tried so many medications for my numerous manic episodes and nothing even came close to the benefits I have experienced with Saphris. It reduced my anxiety and agitation profoundly. I have not had another episode after being on Saphris for over six months. I have an overall sense of well being and much more functional. I've lost 50lbs after being on Zyprexa. Saphris is a wonderful medicine and has given me hope and I am slowly rebuilding my life. It might taste really bad but it is all worth it.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by Gary Hava:

You have to be aware of the positives and negatives of any medicine you take. Even Tylenol. I have found that Saphris has worked pretty well despite a few side effects that I've learned to live with. My doc tried me on Latuda first because I was a bit concerned with taking something sublingually. I should have tried Saphris first. Latuda had me wanting to jump out of my skin and made me want to eat all of the time. I gained 50 pounds in the six months I was on Latuda and have lost all but 7lbs on Saphris. I don't mind the numb tongue because it goes away. I am even used to the taste now. Overall Saphris gave me my life back.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2013 5:12 PM