User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was diagnosed with bipolar in 2007 PTSD borderline personality disorder,panic attack anxiety I was taking abilify,carbamazepine my doctor took me off those and put me on olanzapine but than my legs & ankles started swelling so they took off that than my doctor wanted me to try Seroquel I really didn't want to try that because you become a zombie well I never got that drug instead I got saphtis but I'm having side-effects my legs,feet,ankles feels like my whole body swelling ankles,I'm itchy as well I don't know what the rash looks like is welts like mosquito bites or just hives? I'm not sure if I should stop taking it that will be sad if I have stop taking it because it really works for me other than I have insomnia and the swelling."

Lovepeguin May 2, 2016

"Love it! This medication can have a tough adjustment period. But I took 1tsp of Benadryl with it at night and that helped me adjust. As long as you don't have symptoms of allergic reaction then my advice is hang in there. Saphris is by far the best medicine! I now take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night with zero side effects. This med has made all my anxiety and paranoia associated with mania dissappear! I have been using free samples so far but the cost will be worth my health and sanity!"

40 yrs old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

"Just took for my first time and instantly made my head, throat ,chest and stomach hurt my chest still hurt and it's Been over the ten minutes and my tongue is still numb I wish I could get my depikote back all these other meds are going to kill me"

jay wins April 9, 2016

"I've been on Seroquel for 6 yrs and have had nightmares the whole time. I switched to Saphris 4 days ago, 5 mg morning and night plus 112.5 mg Effexor. I'm amazed at waking up early in the morning after 8 hrs sleep on Saphris where I've been sleeping 12 hrs a night previously on Seroquel then still a zombie for the next 3 hrs. The morning dose sedated me so I'm changing to 10mg at night and also adding lamotrigine this week. I haven't felt this good in many years, but I'm not elevated I have BP 1 and live in Australia. As I'm on disability, all of my medications only cost $6.20 each as its subsidised by the govt. I feel very sad for everyone in the USA with chronic illnesses. It's just not fair."

Yveron March 28, 2016

"Started on Saphris 2 months ago for sleep and bi-polar. I started at 5 mg---total nightmare! Couldn't sleep, picked arguments with my husband and was generally very hyped and energetic ( in a good but bad way!). I never saw a manic episode coming at me--but I saw this one! After 5 days I called the doctor and was advised to go up to 10mg. WOW!! Immediate turn around that night (I only take it at night) and my sleep was fantastic! My attitude was amazing and my husband was delighted with his loving and easy going wife! I felt great--not drugged just happy and content. Work with it--it's turned my life around!"

Mrspickle (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

"I am taking Saphris 10mg for bipolar disorder with manic episodes that turn into schizophrenia. I have been taking Saphris for 8 months. It has been the most effective medication so far for my symptoms. I take the dissolvable tablet you put under your tongue at night. After I take it I can fall asleep within 20 minutes which has been a godsend. During the day I have no drowsiness and sleepiness. I have to stop taking Saphris though because of what it is doing to my tongue and under my tongue. Four months ago I started getting white soars and skin peeling under my tongue where I put the Saphris. Woke up a month ago with white sores all along my tongue. Hasn't fully healed. Plus deformation of my tongue. Very sad bc now I have to go off it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

"I took Saphris and was given 10 mg samples from my Dr. I felt great! After a few weeks of samples- I went to fill my prescription.....After insurance it was $400.00! I couldn't afford to get it filled. It really stinks that a medication that made such a difference for mental health could be so costly. I can only imagine this is why so many go without medication for mental illness."

Heidi-was-here February 18, 2016

"My experience was very negative. I felt light headed and dizzy immediately and within two weeks I started falling asleep at random times, even while driving on the freeway. I had violent nightmares. I threw up constantly and according to my family started to lose my memory. I couldn't sleep more than a few hours at a time without waking up and having a panic attack. Sleeping medication did nothing to help that. The side effects became so debilitating that I had to stop it and move to something else."

RPO February 11, 2016

"I have found Saphris to be very effective, especially for my bipolar depression. I felt happy for the first time in 4 months and its only 2/3 days to work! I was taking lithium and lamotrigine, but the lamotrigine didn't bring my mood up and the lithium didn't either. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty down. Saphris made me feel clear thinking, motivated and reduced my anxiety. And it has only been a week and a day since starting it. I am very pleased. I still have a ways to go in terms of my over all experience with this medication. All the best."

MistyC (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"Hi - I am reviewing the drug Saphris. I've been depressed and have a sugar addiction all of my life am now 60. First I was diagnosed with Dysththmic Disorder, then PTSD, Major Recurrent Depression, Anxiety, BiPolar 2. I currently take Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, and half mg Klonipin for sleep at bedtime. I have a binge eating disorder. Currently I've been in a long episode of depression and anxiety. I have anger and rage issues - After WLS - weight loss surgery in 2013 the anger and rage came forward - this is very distressing for me. I rarely have a rage incident but since the WLS I feel on edge, irritable most of the time and lash out easily. I've heard wonderful things about Saphris and wonder if it might help me."

AnneGeminiRose January 24, 2016

"I've been actively seeking a remedy for my 'weirdness' for 40 years. I've tried counselling, antidepressants, and bipolar meds. While all of these have helped, none of them could do what I really needed for them to do to reach my ultimate goal; To fit in with society. I went to a shrink for GAD, and was prescribed Saphris. The effects were virtually immediate. The list of improvements in my life is 26 items and counting. The drug is over $200/month in the states WITH good insurance. I found online pharmacies in Canada that sell it for $90 for a 3-month supply. It is shipped from India, which scares lots of folks because of their legendary lack of gov't regulations. I'm not made of money, so, to me, the risk is worth it!"

P J A (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

"I have been on saphris for three years. I loved how calm and focused I was. But I have gained 60 lbs. I told my Dr. A million times but she says it doesn't cause weight gain. Well I am very depressed. I exercise I eat very little and I can't lose a pound. Well now I am morbidly obese. And all the stuff I can't do because I'm so big has really got me down. I am weaning my self down and getting off saphris as much as I hate the side effects I am scared to see what my life will look like with out it. Oh my daughter was on it for two months and she gained 18lbs. Why can't we have both sanity and without gaining 50 freaking pounds. Grrr"

Inky1969 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 10, 2016

"This was my second time trying saphris. Throughout my first experience, it worked great for my severe depression, but caused me to gain 20 pounds in a very short time frame. This increase in weight wasn't acceptable, as I battle with bulimia as well. The second time around, a few years later, I had high hopes for this medication, as it had virtually wiped out my depression while on it in the past, and I was taking the precautionary measure of adding Effexor to my medication regimen to help counteract the side effect of increased hunger and weight gain. The Effexor did help with decreasing my appetite; however the antidepressant effect was not nearly as strong for some reason. It may have even worsened my depressive symptoms."

Angela 478377 January 8, 2016

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar II (with very few manifestations of depression) so mostly problems with mania. I started on 5mg at night for a week then went up to morning and night doses of 5mg. I did that for 2 days as the day time doses made me feel restless, uncomfortable, edgy, weird and sedated. I couldn't stand it and would count down the time before it would wear off. Then I tried taking 10mg at night but then I couldn't sleep. I would wake up exhausted for the 4th time in a night. Went back to just 5mg at night and this had little to no effect. I worried about weight gain but I lost weight- helped that I was extra cautious about what I ate. If 'increased appetite' is listed I take extra measures with exercise and diet to stay healthy."

bipolarII December 19, 2015

"I have been on Saphris now for 1 month. I have not been this happy in 35 years! I am working out ever day now at the local health club. Last night I swam for over 40 minutes straight. The only side-effect of this med is excellent REM sleep and a good night's rest. Heaven help you if you don't have insurance....Very Pricey $$$$$"

Kenis (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder a month ago, previously Bipolar 1 with mixed episodes. Saphris changed my life for the better in so many ways. It helped cut down the agitation and anger associated with the mixed episodes almost right away. The paranoia still bites me every once in a while but it has been majorly decreased as well as the hallucinations and delusions that were plaguing me continuously. I sleep so well and don't have the medication hang over that risperidone was giving me at the dose I required. I started at 5mg and am now at 20mg at bedtime and it's working great. Hope the best to all who are trying to get the right med combo!"

soulgr4ffiti4rtist November 26, 2015

"My wife had a severe reaction to this med after just 2 days. She could not swallow, she could not speak. She was catatonic for 3 days until I could get the doctor to understand if she can't swallow, she can't take her meds which meant catatonia and severe withdrawal from benzos. I got the doctor to giver her ativan IV and she was back in 4 to 8 hours"

Concerned Hubby (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

"I have been on various antidepressants since i was 18, with some relief at times. I've been very functional all along but never happy. I've used other illicit substances to self medicate. I saw a psychiatrist when I finally got sick and tired of spinning my wheels. She diagnosed me with bipolar 2 and put me on saphris. For the first month, I felt AMAZING. I was getting things done at home, at work, and even nurturing a social life again. The med still works weekly for my mood but I've gained 20 lbs in just 2months. This is really starting to get me down. The med had changed my life, but I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with the weight gain. If it weren't for the weight, I would've given it a10."

Any girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2015

"I like saphris but have experienced the nasty side effect of weight gain. I had tried 4 other anti psychotics and all of them made me put on weight without relieving me of my bi polar symptoms. I am staying on saphris because for the first time I feel normal. No more high highs or low lows. However the increased appetite drives me nuts. I literally obsess about food all day. I recently cut out all processed sugar to see if this helps. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it."

Just need some advice (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

"Overall ok, makes me sleepy and I take it 30 mins b4 bed to get me to sleep. I did find it put some weight on me and makes my eyes a little jumpy. That's the extent of my side effects really. Overall I'm happy with it, it controls my mania and inability to sleep."

Zeusa October 19, 2015

"Words can not describe it. The medication has turned my life around. I still can not believe what it has done for me. My mind has slowed down so much without taking away my ability to think sharply. I am truly happy. Anger, irritation, racing thoughts are almost completely gone. I am Bi Polar 1 with GAD and depression. I too am a mixed episode/rapid cycle guy. This med has givin me my life back. I have been shedding anxiety and sleep meds left and right. If you can't afford it, please look to Canada. You can get generic Saphris (asenapine) very, very reasonable. It could well be worth going through a reputable Canadian pharmacy."

coaff1395 September 23, 2015

"I do not deal with fits of rage anymore nor do I go to extreme lows of sadness and the world is ending. Side effects I had were initially insomnia grogginess after taking the medication and a little bit more hungry. I eat a well-balanced diet with lots of vegetables some fruit high protein and I notice having a snack before taking it helps for hunger pains. I make sure to get regular low impact exercise such as walking. I am now able to be a better mother keep my jobs and feel much much much better mentally. Give it a try at least a month. It has been 3 weeks and I do not have insomnia at night anymore and have dropped 14 pounds. Stay positive don't let side effects get you down!"

Kateannmarie23 September 16, 2015

"I'm Bipolar 1 Rapid Cycling & also have ADD; this medication saved my life. I have been on it for a year now (along with a cocktail of others, I am BP 1, let's be realistic) titrating from 5 mg to 30 mg all at night. I was in constant mixed states, I couldn't control my impulses, my anxiety and paranoia were through the roof and I was unemployed - leaving the house, let alone working wasn't an option. I work fulltime now in a professional environment, back on my career track. My mood is stable, and for once in my 15 year diagnosis I can say I'm stable. Side effects take time to pass, and some never go away, for me, its AM daily muscle pain for 90 mins. I haven't been able to touch a drop of liquor, not even a sip of beer; I prefer sanity."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2015

"I suffer from ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD. Saphris has helped take the edge off the bipolar symptoms. I would have to leave the office whether to walk around the building or to go to the bathroom to splash water on my face, but now I can stay at my desk the entire day most days and am good with only leaving for bathroom breaks or to go get water. I went from having PTSD nightmares 1 - 6 nights a week and waking up myself and my fiancée from moaning, growling, or yelling to having the nightmares about once a week on average or sometimes even going a week without any. I take it at bedtime and within 10 - 15 minutes, I am really drowsy and falling asleep, which has also helped me. As a result of these last two, I am now more rested"

Nick83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

"Within two days dose I had edema in my calves knees and ankles 3 days it just got worse. Also the Saphris headache that would not go away. Did not continue with fourth dose. Great wonders if you have zero side effects"

Bbrenda May 24, 2015