User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Within two days dose I had edema in my calves knees and ankles 3 days it just got worse. Also the Saphris headache that would not go away. Did not continue with fourth dose. Great wonders if you have zero side effects"

Bbrenda May 24, 2015

"I suffer from Bipolar 1 Mixed Rapid Cycling, I started taking Saphris to replace geodon about a month and a half ago to reduce my Manic Episodes and I do feel better but I am gaining weight at an alarming rate!!! I have tried so many medications throughout the years for the manic episodes and am going to stick with this as it really does helps tremendously and I haven't suffered any other side effects."

Kelcie May 20, 2015

"Wonderdrug. I have never, ever had a period of more than two days without irritability without hypomania. Within 2 days of taking this medication, my irritability was nil. I was able to sit in a busy, loud restaurant without getting angry or distracted. I have no sedation during the day, and this medication helps me sleep at night, immediately and deeply. I'm sleeping about 9-10 hours every night, which is why I'm giving it 8 of 10 stars, because that amount of sleep is a little much for me. I still feel a normal range of emotion on this medication, my sex drive is normal, I have no side effects. The taste is not so bad, but tongue does get numb every time I take it, but this wears off by the time I wake up."

BAEEEE (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"I take a low dose of Saphris (5 mg). My experience with this medicine is simply incredible. It makes me feel so "zen" and happy, it's a feeling difficult to describe. I used to take clonazepam, but it never made me feel that great. Another good point is that it helps going to sleep, but waking up is easy (not like Seroquel and Zyprexa!!)"

bipolar12345 March 10, 2015

"I have been taking Seroquel for 7 years and was initially happy with the effects, but the medication hasn't been working as well lately and I have gained 40kgs in those 7 years. So I was put on Saphris 3 weeks ago. The benefits have been amazing, with increased energy, memory and positive thoughts. Unfortunately, I had a severe allergic reaction to Saphris a few days ago and I've had to stop taking it. I hope to find something just as good. I suppose the good news is that now I know that there are other Atypical Antipsychotics that could help me."

Seanie (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2015

"I was on Seroquel for 7 years when I had to start trialling something else due to weight gain. I was taking Saphris 3 weeks and I had a severe allergic reaction. Saphris was changing my life for the better and so I'm sad that I can't take it anymore. I had motivation, great memory & concentration, positive thoughts, ability to plan & function highly and loads of energy. I can't take the tablets anymore, but i'm going to miss how good they made me feel. Now I'm looking into Zeldox or Latuda. I definitely need an antipsychotic for my Bipolar."

Seanie (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

"Been on Saphris for almost a year. Have tried almost all of the others except for Latuda. My experience is that I have had the best dreams and put on the least amount of weight on this medicine. Also, not nearly as drowsy."

Andrew The Great (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2015

"Diagnosed ADHD, Bipolar, Major Depression, GAD, Panic disorder. Have been on Saphris 5 mg at night for 1 week. After the first dose I could tell a huge difference in my mood. For the first time in months I woke up in a great mood. After a few days, I knew I was no longer in mania. Which I've been in for at least 4 mths. My thinking is back to normal. The only problem I'm having is keeping my mood stabilized. When I take it at night it puts me to sleep in 15 min. No longer using sleeping meds. For one week of use I think it's a great medicine."

HiSpRiNcEsS (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2015

"Took this drug because my antidepressant was causing horrible mood swings. It works well and quickly, and side effects are not awful. Only problem was I would have really intense episodes of heavy breathing/heartbeat, with twitching and then I would barely be able to move for a while. Hopefully as I get used to it, this should go away. But great medication, really helped my mood and mental clarity!"

Anonymous December 11, 2014

"I have been on Saphris for nine months. I am taking 20 mg at night. I find the medication puts me to sleep 10-15 minutes after taking my dosage. If I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I stumble around in a daze. After sleeping 9-10 hours, I wake up feeling refreshed. I also take Lamotrigine and Sertraline. To manage anxiety, I take Lorazepam as needed. It took me several months to see the full benefits. Today, I am under control. No suicidal thoughts. No aggressive behavior. I am no longer having the delusions that people are out to get me and/or I am being followed. Best of all the medication did not throw me into depression. I still have problems when I become overwhelmed or in a busy environment."

LJ Arizona (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 13, 2014

"I started Saphris after experiencing some episodes of violent anger as a result of mixed episodes of my bipolar disorder. There was an almost immediate lessening of symptoms, making me feel calmer right away. I have experienced almost no side effects from the medicine other than occasional sleepiness, but nothing debilitating. I had little or no weight gain, which made me very happy. It also has a lower incidence of causing cholesterol and blood sugar issues than many other AAPs. I find Saphris very helpful for both the immediate treatment of a breakthrough mixed/manic episode as well as for daily maintenance."

Scorpionis (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2014

"I developed tardive dyskinesia of the toes, constant akathesia and inability to sit still. I stopped the medicine weeks ago and I still am moving. "

Horrible drug (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2014

"I have bipolar1, general & social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder. I've been on pretty much everything over the last 14 years. Seroquel worked well for over a year but the weight gain was awful. Regular exercise and healthy eating. Lithium and Lamictal replaced the Seroquel and seemed efficient, couldn't handle the nausea anymore after 2 yrs. 5 weeks ago I decided I wanted try Saphris. Psych agreed, decided to start low and slow as I tend to have allergic or increased anxiety with most medicines. Started on 2.5mg for a week. I literally felt better the next morning. I had increased energy and felt happy for the first time in over 10yrs. I'm up to 5mg pm, 2.5mg am. Anxiety decreased, and down to 1.5mg of Klonopin daily from 3mg. This is a miracle for me! "

that1hippiechick (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take 3/4 of a 5mg Saphris and 200mg Epilim which helps to take the edge off of my anxiety and depression. I felt a difference within days of taking my first dose, like I could breathe again and didn't have the weight of the world on my shoulders. What I will say though is that medication is never the complete answer. My medicines have allowed me to get to a stable enough place where I am able to deal with the underlying issues causing my depression and anxiety. Does help me feel more comfortable in my own skin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2014

"I took 1 5 mg a few nights ago. My body had unbearable muscle thrashing. I woke up every 2 minutes spasming out of control it was very painful as well and couldn't get sleep."

lake forest oconnor August 23, 2014

"I was prescribed Saphris for bipolar disorder. The morning after my first bedtime dose I had a number of side effects. I experienced confusion, dizziness, hallucinations and acute short term memory loss. As a result of the confusion and acute short term memory loss, I unintentionally overdosed on my morning medications resulting in extreme doses of medications. The most concerning was a 900mg dose of Wellbutrin (bupropion) which in doses of 300mg or more can cause seizures."

BradwickMD (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2014

"I had been taking Saphris 10mg at bedtime for well over a year and then suddenly stopped taking it for a month to see how I would feel. In this month I was a wreck and had racing thoughts and couldn't fall asleep until 2am and would be up 6 hours later. I also found myself fantasizing about stuff and being unrealistic about things. I started taking it again close to a month ago and I really see how much it helps me. The only downside is that I sleep over 11 hours now and I get into such a deep sleep without waking up once."

Twightman91 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2014

"Bipolar with mixed episodes, ADHD and severe anxiety. Saphris was a miracle for me also. I've been on disability for 10 years and this is the first medicine I've taken that has made me functional. Absolutely can't take it the morning; it makes me incoherent for about 3 hours and I eat everything in sight. So I take all 20 mgs at night and am doing fine. Have mouth sores, though. My doctor said to alternate between taking it sublingually, supra lingually and but ally and it's helping. "

djeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2014

"I have been on Saphris for about 3 months now. I take 15mgs at night. I'm able to sleep now without the help of any other medicine. I get restless from time to time but subdue it with Vistaril. Sometimes I get boosts of energy which can be good. My moods are more balanced than ever before. I can laugh things off instead of getting angry. The reason I gave Saphris a 9 is because it affects my libido. I recently started taking Wellbutrin to combat this. I hope it works!"

Reeena May 10, 2014

"I started out with 20 mg of Saphris but stayed groggy. Went down to 10 mg and have been on it for 6 months. I also take a sleep aid at night and now I sleep 6-7 hrs compared to 3-4. No running thoughts in my head. The longest time I have ever stayed out of the hospital in 12 years. I feel wonderful, when I start getting anxious, I take a 5 mg with my Xanax and I am good to go. Downside: Gained 50 pds and cholesterol is through the roof, even though I do not eat red meat. Always have the munchies though. Had to start on a statin medicine. Blood sugar is higher than usual but within range. Keeping an eye out on this too. But this is the only medicine that has worked for me without being a zombie or continued mixed episodes."

Life is Great! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2014

"I believe I have found the answer I have been looking for! Been on it about two months. I sleep throught the night with a lot less interruption and I fall asleep more quickly. My thought pattern is far less anxious and muddled; I am able to concentrate. My mood is far less out of whack and I am generally happy. The only downside for me is it gives me the munchies and I have diabetes, so I have gained some weight a bit rapidly. However, with a lot of effort, I have eliminated foods out of my diet that are carbs. I am starting to level out and I have a lot of hope for the future with this medicine. It is expensive, but I have good insurance."

Todd B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2014

"Been bipolar for seventeen years, Saphris for two months, started out eating right after I took it and I was very sleepy. The eating eventually subsided but within ten days I started having jaw muscle tension. At first I had energy and the racing thoughts and paranoia went away. The sublingual dosing and taste seemed to be minor in the hopes that it would help symptoms. I would take it at night only, after getting everything done for the evening because it really made me sleep deeply, within fifteen minutes, when I really didn't have a sleeping problem before taking it. It did make me more alert during the day, which almost led to panic on several occasions. It was addressing psychosis symptoms but I continued a low level of depression"

Review gal February 11, 2014

"Saphris is the best bi-polar medication I have taken. I sleep the best I ever had on Saphris and do not experience manic out bursts. Other bi-polar medications made me gain weight. On other medications I have gained 30 lbs in a short time frame. On Saphris, I haven't gained any weight and weigh a few pounds less than I did before I started to take Saphris."

Anon434343 February 9, 2014

"I have Bipolar Disorder I, with rapid cycling and mixed states. I tried Saphris when I was recovering from a hospitalization which was very unpleasant and ended very badly. So I was a bit manic and terribly anxious going on it. I took it for 6 days. It seemed to work almost right away. I was shakey and anxious throughout the 6 days. Extremely sleepy and dizzy after my 5mg at bedtime. But that wore off after 4 days. Mood-wise, it seemed to completely stall my cycling. Miracle! And I was much calmer and less reactive, but definitely awake during the days. Then after my 6th dose I noticed my lips were puffy, and my tongue was fatter, then my throat got tight = allergic reaction. Worked great until that!"

Anonymous88888 December 20, 2013

"I have been taking this for about 4 months now. While I admit I am awful at being consistent with new meds, I am blown away by how well Saphris has consistently toned down my impulsivity, irritation, edginess, suicidal ideations, and cycling depression. Unlike antipsychotics such as lithium, this stuff did not turn me into a walking zombie. I am still able to feel elated, just not so much so that I lose control of myself. Also it helps me have a regular sleeping pattern! I do not know how anyone can taking this in the morning as it knocks me out harder than ambien. The downside of it is that I am experiencing secondary nocturnal enuresis :S It is something I have always struggled with and I would not expect others to experience this."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2013