User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by lake forest oconnor:

I took 1 5 mg a few nights ago. My body had unbearable muscle thrashing. I woke up every 2 minutes spasming out of control it was very painful as well and couldn't get sleep.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by BradwickMD (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Saphris for bipolar disorder. The morning after my first bedtime dose I had a number of side effects. I experienced confusion, dizziness, hallucinations and acute short term memory loss. As a result of the confusion and acute short term memory loss, I unintentionally overdosed on my morning medications resulting in extreme doses of medications. The most concerning was a 900mg dose of Wellbutrin (bupropion) which in doses of 300mg or more can cause seizures.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 1:00 PM

Review by Twightman91 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had been taking Saphris 10mg at bedtime for well over a year and then suddenly stopped taking it for a month to see how I would feel. In this month I was a wreck and had racing thoughts and couldn't fall asleep until 2am and would be up 6 hours later. I also found myself fantasizing about stuff and being unrealistic about things. I started taking it again close to a month ago and I really see how much it helps me. The only downside is that I sleep over 11 hours now and I get into such a deep sleep without waking up once.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by djeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Bipolar with mixed episodes, ADHD and severe anxiety. Saphris was a miracle for me also. I've been on disability for 10 years and this is the first medicine I've taken that has made me functional. Absolutely can't take it the morning; it makes me incoherent for about 3 hours and I eat everything in sight. So I take all 20 mgs at night and am doing fine. Have mouth sores, though. My doctor said to alternate between taking it sublingually, supra lingually and but ally and it's helping.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Reeena:

I have been on Saphris for about 3 months now. I take 15mgs at night. I'm able to sleep now without the help of any other medicine. I get restless from time to time but subdue it with Vistaril. Sometimes I get boosts of energy which can be good. My moods are more balanced than ever before. I can laugh things off instead of getting angry. The reason I gave Saphris a 9 is because it affects my libido. I recently started taking Wellbutrin to combat this. I hope it works!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by Life is Great! (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started out with 20 mg of Saphris but stayed groggy. Went down to 10 mg and have been on it for 6 months. I also take a sleep aid at night and now I sleep 6-7 hrs compared to 3-4. No running thoughts in my head. The longest time I have ever stayed out of the hospital in 12 years. I feel wonderful, when I start getting anxious, I take a 5 mg with my Xanax and I am good to go. Downside: Gained 50 pds and cholesterol is through the roof, even though I do not eat red meat. Always have the munchies though. Had to start on a statin medicine. Blood sugar is higher than usual but within range. Keeping an eye out on this too. But this is the only medicine that has worked for me without being a zombie or continued mixed episodes.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by Todd B. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I believe I have found the answer I have been looking for! Been on it about two months. I sleep throught the night with a lot less interruption and I fall asleep more quickly. My thought pattern is far less anxious and muddled; I am able to concentrate. My mood is far less out of whack and I am generally happy. The only downside for me is it gives me the munchies and I have diabetes, so I have gained some weight a bit rapidly. However, with a lot of effort, I have eliminated foods out of my diet that are carbs. I am starting to level out and I have a lot of hope for the future with this medicine. It is expensive, but I have good insurance.

March 18, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by Review gal:

Been bipolar for seventeen years, Saphris for two months, started out eating right after I took it and I was very sleepy. The eating eventually subsided but within ten days I started having jaw muscle tension. At first I had energy and the racing thoughts and paranoia went away. The sublingual dosing and taste seemed to be minor in the hopes that it would help symptoms. I would take it at night only, after getting everything done for the evening because it really made me sleep deeply, within fifteen minutes, when I really didn't have a sleeping problem before taking it. It did make me more alert during the day, which almost led to panic on several occasions. It was addressing psychosis symptoms but I continued a low level of depression

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by Anon434343:

Saphris is the best bi-polar medication I have taken. I sleep the best I ever had on Saphris and do not experience manic out bursts. Other bi-polar medications made me gain weight. On other medications I have gained 30 lbs in a short time frame. On Saphris, I haven't gained any weight and weigh a few pounds less than I did before I started to take Saphris.

February 9, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Anonymous88888:

I have Bipolar Disorder I, with rapid cycling and mixed states. I tried Saphris when I was recovering from a hospitalization which was very unpleasant and ended very badly. So I was a bit manic and terribly anxious going on it. I took it for 6 days. It seemed to work almost right away. I was shakey and anxious throughout the 6 days. Extremely sleepy and dizzy after my 5mg at bedtime. But that wore off after 4 days. Mood-wise, it seemed to completely stall my cycling. Miracle! And I was much calmer and less reactive, but definitely awake during the days. Then after my 6th dose I noticed my lips were puffy, and my tongue was fatter, then my throat got tight = allergic reaction. Worked great until that!

December 20, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking this for about 4 months now. While I admit I am awful at being consistent with new meds, I am blown away by how well Saphris has consistently toned down my impulsivity, irritation, edginess, suicidal ideations, and cycling depression. Unlike antipsychotics such as lithium, this stuff did not turn me into a walking zombie. I am still able to feel elated, just not so much so that I lose control of myself. Also it helps me have a regular sleeping pattern! I do not know how anyone can taking this in the morning as it knocks me out harder than ambien. The downside of it is that I am experiencing secondary nocturnal enuresis :S It is something I have always struggled with and I would not expect others to experience this.

October 20, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by KristiR (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am currently taking 1/4 of a 5 mg tablet (but started out on a 1/2 tablet) of Saphris at night. I am also on Lexapro, 10 mg for depression and anxiety. The combo works great. I have horrible insomnia/waking in the night on just Lexapro (or other SSRI's I've tried) but with Saphris I sleep great and wake up refreshed! Only downside is that I've put on 10-15 pounds in the last 6 months, but not sure if it is due to the Lexapro or Saphris or both. I eat very healthy (just too much) and exercise regularly....but find myself always feeling hungry. Oh well...at least I'm happy!

August 17, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by mcadams:

Saphris has helped me more than any other medication (which were many, many over 12 years). I was blown away by the benefit and bewildered that it took so long for someone to prescribe it. I still don't have the strength and energy that I need but I am functioning at 80% to 90%. Before it was barely hanging on with suicidal periods. Savella was another good medication for me but not quite this good. The racing thoughts, paranoia, and insomnia are gone. I usually fall asleep within 15 minutes of lying down. Although I am having some nights of waking up after 3 hours. Just getting to sleep earlier and getting the required sleep I need has made a tremendous difference in how I function and cope. My side effect has been arthritis and weight gain.

August 11, 2013 1:50 AM

Review by Maryjane543:

This medicine is a lifesaver without a doubt

August 5, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by Kissa miau (taken for less than 1 month):

I will give this a 2, simply because of the ease of use. The tabs dissolve under your tongue so you can take them anywhere. You cannot eat or drink for 10-15 min afterwards, which is really not a big deal. I am bipolar I with occasional mixed episodes and was prescribed this medicine (5 mg 2x daily) in the middle of a mixed episode while in the hospital. It propelled me into full-blown mania. As with all medicines and this disease, its very personal. This medicine might be more appropriate for someone less prone to mania than myself. I am on Topamax 150 mg (50 mg 3x daily) and Seroquel 100 mg nightly, now. I am not cured by a long shot, but I am certainly a lot better now, a month later, than I was on the Saphris.

August 2, 2013 10:09 PM

Review by Maya K:

I have tried so many medications for my numerous manic episodes and nothing even came close to the benefits I have experienced with Saphris. It reduced my anxiety and agitation profoundly. I have not had another episode after being on Saphris for over six months. I have an overall sense of well being and much more functional. I've lost 50lbs after being on Zyprexa. Saphris is a wonderful medicine and has given me hope and I am slowly rebuilding my life. It might taste really bad but it is all worth it.

July 2, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by Gary Hava:

You have to be aware of the positives and negatives of any medicine you take. Even Tylenol. I have found that Saphris has worked pretty well despite a few side effects that I've learned to live with. My doc tried me on Latuda first because I was a bit concerned with taking something sublingually. I should have tried Saphris first. Latuda had me wanting to jump out of my skin and made me want to eat all of the time. I gained 50 pounds in the six months I was on Latuda and have lost all but 7lbs on Saphris. I don't mind the numb tongue because it goes away. I am even used to the taste now. Overall Saphris gave me my life back.

June 17, 2013 5:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I am Bipolar Type I and was switched to Saphris from Seroquel by my psychiatrist. One dose and I began having suicidal ideation that I hadn't experienced in years. I had the presence of mind to call my psych doc immediately (it was a weekend) but she didn't call back. I am a nurse and should have known better, but I took it the next day. After the second dose, I was frightened I would act on the impulse. Luckily I have a very supportive and observant husband. I called doc again and she said to stop immediately, of course, as I should have after the first dose. I saw her on Monday and went back to Seroquel. Less severe side effects included numbness of my entire tongue and sick-feeling somnolence.

June 2, 2013 7:47 AM

Review by MYA May (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had some success in using Saphris, however, the side effects are somewhat mixed. I don't like feeling groggy or fussy the morning after taking the medicines. I also don't like having short term memory loss. I like the stabilizing mental moods and the reduced depression and manic episodes. The medicine numbs my tongue and makes me hungry all the time, so am I hoping after time this stops. I have been taking this medication since the May, 20mg.

May 27, 2013 3:01 PM

Review by gypsygirl39 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I love Saphris. Best thing that ever happened to me. No other medicine compares. Down side, it's so expensive. I get samples from my psychiatrist, but I will be moving out of state soon and I am so afraid I won't be able to afford Saphris. It's the only medicine that gave me the least amount of side effects and lets me lead a normal life.

May 26, 2013 12:32 PM

Review by CattyAK:

I've been on Saphris 20mg nightly for 2 months. I have Bipolar Rapid Cyclical with ADHD. This medication is the best. I fall asleep within 10-15 minutes. The horrible taste is a small price to pay. My mood is the most stable it's been in a long time. I'm happy about life, feeling very positive- a huge change for me!

May 4, 2013 8:29 AM

Review by cpas:

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder almost five years ago and have tried just about every medication without success. I have recently started taking Saphris and it is my miracle. My mood swings have gone and I'm no longer angry or depressed. I have plenty of energy (minus the mania) and feel a complete sense of well being. The dissolvable wafers have a very bitter taste however this is a very small price to pay considering how awesome I feel.

April 27, 2013 7:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Saphris has slowed my thoughts down a lot! I have the black cherry flavor. I do feel suicidal, but I felt that way before the meds. The only problem I have is the weight gain. I've been on Saphris for almost 2 months and have gained 20lbs. I find it hard to shed the weight.

April 22, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by peace mama 75:

I just replaced my 75mg nightly Seroquel with 5mg (will probably go to 10) of Saphris. I was very scared to change. I am a successful and happy trauma nurse, mom, partner, etc., even though I do struggle with bipolar disorder and anxiety. My life has been going REALLY well for several years with low doses of Seroquel, Zoloft, and Lamictal, so when my annual spring crazies kind of snuck up on me worse than normal, I was very hesitant to rock the boat. So far this compares VERY FAVORABLY with my Seroquel. I am sleeping well and the morning fog is getting better as my body adjusts. My thinking is clearer and quieter WITHOUT feeling dumb or sad. And I don't seem to be quite as ravenously hungry as on Seroquel. Hope it lasts!

April 10, 2013 2:18 PM

Review by Rey1222 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Saphris is the best. 10/10. For those of you who had bad experience starting out, I suggest trying it out again from a low dose. The key is to get the medicine in your system until it builds up in a few week. When all else failed Saphris was the one that had saved my life and improved it like it has reversed the chemical imbalances associated with my bipolar. My mind and sense of attention has been brought back from the severe depressed and mixed episode. And severe agitation. When I first started Saphris with 5mg it too gave me severe akathesia (restlessness). Thank fully after finding out that my other medication mirtazapine (Remeron) reduced restlessness. I can now sleep well after taking the Saphris with the Remeron without any insomnia.

April 9, 2013 7:14 PM