User Reviews for Nuvigil

Learn more about Nuvigil.

Nuvigil review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Shift Work Sleep Disorder.

Reviews for Nuvigil to treat Shift Work Sleep Disorder

Review by kristibarb, wv (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been on nuvigil 150mg for over a week now, I work rotating shifts at work five days a week. I have had several side effects that was not the best, however the benefit have outweighed the risk. I have noticed that I can actually stay awake and not have the overwhelming urge to sleep. Which to me is wonderful to able to funtion like a normal person again, I'm still tired though, but functioning, and at the end of the day that is all I can ask for!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 6, 2013 10:51 PM
Review by Firefighter Dave (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been taking Nuvigil for a week and every day I get headaches and my eyes are sensitive to light. Overall I love feeling back to normal and not tired all the time. I have tried cutting my pills in 1/2 and 1/4s to stop the side effects no luck.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2013 10:13 PM
Review by Tired John: User Rating:

Shift work at plant. Medicine allows me to think at 2 am when my body is shutting down. This medicine is not magic. You will not have magical capabilities to learn and solve the worlds problems. But you may function somewhat normally as a person again. Do feel some euphoria an hour after taking.

July 3, 2013 5:53 AM
Review by Johnjr602: User Rating:

I am an industrial electrician. I work rotating 12 hours. After enough time my body got used to it and I was able to make it through the nights and not feel awful. Then I heard a commercial for Nuvigil. So I figured I would give it a try. This is not a miracle. This won't give you special powers and a super intelligence. What it has allowed me to do was still be able to think when I couldn't before. At 3 in the morning when a problem presents itself I need to be able to think through it. I don't feel an energy rush like with a cup of coffee. I feel like a normal person again. I'm able to not feel lethargic every single minute I'm awake.

May 30, 2013 3:15 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

No negative effects and noticeable increase in brain function.

May 4, 2013 1:06 AM
Review by Disapointed (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

This medicine does a great job! I thought "wow" I've finally found something to help me make it through the night without side effects. Almost. On my second prescription I developed scattered hives. My Dr. Said take an antihistamine and try again, since it hadn't done this before. I thought that might work until I got hives in more and more places each time I took it (I only take it when needed). When I developed the hives in very personal places that's when I decided I have no choice but to not take it. I don't know why it took so long to cause an allergic reaction. I wish it didn't because it really does work great. I'm hoping to find something else that does same thing that I'm not allergic to.

April 22, 2013 4:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Works great, able to stay awake at work and able to sleep during the day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2013 2:06 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I work nights in the Emergency Department as an RN at a large, very busy trauma center and have been for the past three years. This medication has been a lifesaver in terms of maintaining alertness throughout my shift without the shakes and nervous feeling like being overdosed on caffeine pills or energy drinks. I take the 250mg pill 1-2 hours before my shift at 7 pm and it carries me throughout the night. I used to take Provigil 100mg for two years before Nuvigil came out and found that I was taking up to 200mg doses a night. Nuvigil is great because it is cheaper, even with insurance and seems to last longer. I only take it four times a week when I work and that three day off time provides enough time for my body to not get used to it.

June 14, 2012 5:43 PM
Review by 72C-10ChevyMan: User Rating:

Unlike all the other comments I have read, I work at night and drive a Truck for a living. I go to work at Midnight and drive all night and into the next day. I heard about Nuvigil and went to my Doctor and he prescribed it to me. Of course the insurance company wanted an explanation to pay for it. I haven't had much success with it, I guess because I only take it when I have a long night ahead of me. It has worked well for me about 1 out of 5 times. I will be talking to my Doctor and see if I need to take it everyday. But, with my schedule, shift work that varys and reversing my schedule when I am not working at night on my days off, is really different than most of what I have read on here. Maybe I need to find me a day job!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 10, 2011 7:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm a firefighter/paramedic and I've been on Nuvigil for about 4 days now and I love it. I have never been a fan of taking medications but when between working 24 hour shifts, school full time and my 3 year old daughter I found myself exhausted all the time. I started drinking energy drinks and they worked but after awhile they got expensive so I started taking caffeine pills. After awhile my body needed the caffeine everyday but I didn't necessarily need it every day which I didn't like. I also didn't like my heart racing with the caffeine. Since starting Nuvigil I haven't had caffeine at all and I didn't have much of a withdrawal phase. It has had all the positive effects for me like a stimulant with none of the negative.

August 10, 2011 12:34 PM
Review by gooshimin:

OMG this is a condition that can be medically treated? You got to be kidding me! I have wrestled with this since I was in Grade School. I was called lazy and told I wasn't applYing myself. Even at one of my earliest jobs others laughed at me saying, "I don't nEed a clock to tell me when it is lunch time. I just look or listen for g's workboots, because they don't move or make a sound until noon or lunch time." Hope that makes sense to all. All my days NOW are spent with hours wasted just griping at myself for why I can't get going before noon or 1 pm and why I can hardly sleep before 4 am and all I need is 3 to 4 hours. Day after day I reassert myself to try to get going earlier and go to bed earlier but it is all useless.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 12, 2011 1:47 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

It doesn't seem to last all day.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 20, 2011 10:41 PM
Review by Joan VA: User Rating:

I have now been on Nuvigil since mid July, 2010. My doctor was initially hesitant to prescribe it to me because he was of the opinion that I could just 'will away' my sleep disturbance. I have sleep apnea and shift work sleep disorder. He prescribed this begrudgingly as he figured all I needed was more self control. If that was all I needed, somewhere in the 20 years I was struggling with this, I should have had success. I tolerated his belittling because I needed his help. Starting on DAY 1, I began to tell a real difference with using Nuvigil. To me, it was a miracle medicine. I could finally stay awake in the daytime without feeling sleepy ALL THE TIME. Since starting this, I have had the energy to be highly productive everyday ever since.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 17, 2010 9:11 PM
Review by sleep smurf: User Rating:

I have been using Nuvigil for one week now. It was working great in the beginning but after around the third day I got extremely tired around 12pm and all I wanted to do was take a nap. I continue to take it thinking that this will change. I only take 150mg, maybe I should ask the doctor to up the dose.

August 27, 2010 2:28 PM
Review by Jennifersue888: User Rating:

I started Nuvigil last week. I was only sleeping 3-4 hrs per day for the first few days, so on my day off, I didn't take it. However, this week, I sleep as normal. I get 4 hrs of sleep in the morning, and then take a 2-3 hr nap before work at night.

March 11, 2010 9:24 PM
Review by acuterninga: User Rating:

I had previously taken Provigil 200mg daily and my prescription ran out for about 2 months. I was given a sample package of Nuvigil 150mg daily to try for 2 weeks. I noticed that I only slept about 7 hours in 72hrs (3days). The Provigil did not do this to me.

September 13, 2009 10:05 AM