User Reviews for Nuvigil

Learn more about Nuvigil.

Nuvigil review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Nuvigil to treat Narcolepsy

Review by Kmporter1985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was diagnosed a year ago. I have cataplexy as well. I've been taking 250mg daily of Nuvigil for about 8 months and I'm very happy with it. The only complaint is that (as another person said) it doesn't last all day, I also crash out in the afternoon. If you have this problem I suggest eliminating idol time. I have noticed that if I keep myself busy I have no problem going through the day normally. I haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever. Most of the other medications may keep you awake all day, but seeing as the side effects can be devastating for many people, I'll take the extra effort to keep my idol time to a minimum and unlike the other medicines I've tried, I don't feel like I need a higher dose every 3 months.

June 10, 2014 6:10 PM

Review by laahenry (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Works well at the right dose. I am not afraid to drive now and I don't zone out at work anymore. That being said it is really a shame that it is entirely too expensive and I won't be able to continue taking it. With my insurance, it is still about $190 per month or 3 house payments a year for me! WOW!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by Amberosy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Nuvigil for about 3 months now and see a little bit of difference. Previously I was on Ritalin which worked pretty much the same as Nuvigil. My doctor is currently giving me a trial period for 150mg once daily. I take one daily at 6-8 am and it lasts me till around noon. I then start to crash and when driving I still have a hard time staying awake. My doctor says it is because I need a higher dosage and will hopefully be starting that the next Drs visit. I highly recommend Nuvigil if you can afford it but if not Ritalin in my opinion works just as well.

December 21, 2013 8:23 AM

Review by Luna24 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy about 18 months ago after battling constant fatigue no matter how much sleep I received at night or how many naps I took throughout the day. Nuvigil has changed my life! I take one pill daily, and I am able to live a normal life outside of the fog that I was constantly living in before my diagnosis. I had a lot of side effects when I first started taking Nuvigil which included headaches, dry mouth, cramping, nausea, loss of appetite, and dizziness, but those were nothing compared to being able to finally live my life fully for the first time! I felt like before I was swimming in murky water unable to see or function, and after the medication I can actually experience life and interact with people!

December 16, 2013 4:06 PM

Review by Kris214:

I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia with long sleep time. Before Nuvigil, I would sleep 16-20 hours per day, and nothing could keep me awake. This medicine has completely changed my life. I am on the highest dosage (250mg). At first, the medicine gave me a terrible headache and made me feel somewhat sick to my stomach. After about two to three weeks, the side effects almost completely subsided. I feel like a normal person now. I take the medicine early in the morning when my first alarm goes off. Sometimes, I fall back to sleep, or I can stay up and relax watching T.V or something. An hour or two later it is easy to wake. Energy throughout the day, and doesn't keep me up at night. This allows me to live "normally". I feel little to no side effects and get sleepy before bedtime, energized all day.

December 7, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by TRWRN:

During a yearly checkup, my doctor impressively picked up on my sleep disorder (personally, I thought he was nuts; I felt it was just all the crazy stress in my life that made me want to sleep at any chance I got). Well, my sleep study came back severely abnormal. What?? Are you kidding me??? He was right! I was diagnosed with excessive daytime sleepiness/narcolepsy without cataplexy. Since then, I have been on Nuvigil 250mg. I cannot begin to tell you the difference it has made! The response was immediate for me, and I'm so glad I no longer have to sleep my days away! What an interesting field of medicine! I believe what they know about sleep now is just a scratch on the surface on how it impacts our health and well being.

November 19, 2013 5:25 PM

Review by DK2727:

I've been on Nuvigil for 4 years and it's stopped being as effective. I'm currently on 125 mg twice a day, and 37.5 mg Adipex twice a day. The Adipex has absolutely helped my weight (down 14 lbs in 15 days, 40lbs to go) but not much help with the wakefulness. I'm falling asleep in the afternoon and driving is a nightmare. It takes A LOT for insurance to cover. Without all the hoops my doctor has agreed to jump through, it would be $685 per month.

August 5, 2013 6:26 PM

Review by KamyMenapace:

I diagnosed myself after reading a pamphlet in the Doctors office the other day. It was like reading the story of my life for the last couple of years. She put me on Nuvigil and I'm currently on my second day of it. I've noticed a lot more awakeness and anxiety. Slight heart issues I think like racing from time to time and one severely sharp pain yesterday but otherwise I really feel much better. Too bad it's too late to save my marriage but at least I will be able to build a new life where before there would have been no way to cope. Wish me luck guys. I've had no headaches or jaw issues either.

June 8, 2013 12:18 PM

Review by Justme (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Was diagnosed with depression, then bi-polar, then bipolar narcolepsy. Cocktail I was on for well over a year was 5mg Abilify, 60mg Cymbalta and 250mg NuVigil. Recently came off the Abilify and I can't even explain how good I felt, not high, not mania, just that "finally, just me" feeling. I was content with life, at peace and for the first time in YEARS I was even happy! After a week of no Abilify we decided to begin weaning off the NuVigil. Been taking 150mg Nuvigil 60mg Cymbalta for a week now and feel horrible. Don't care about a thing, no motivation, tired, etc. Doc said give it a month. Hope I can last that long. I just want ME back, as does my wife and kids.

May 1, 2013 11:43 AM

Review by Lacie down south:

I took Nuvigil for a little over a year. It changed my life. I have had chronic fatigue for 13 years and the Nuvigil gave me the energy to live a normal life. I had a few side effects, but being awake was more important to me. Occasionally I would sleep lightly or stay up until 2 am. The more noticeable side effect was the fogginess. I would often forget what I was doing, why I walked into the other room and I couldn%u2019t get words out quick enough. I always had the %u201Cit%u2019s stuck at the tip of my tongue%u201D feeling when talking because I couldn%u2019t remember certain words. Overall, I was very satisfied with this medicine and it was effective. Once I lost my insurance I couldn%u2019t afford to take it anymore. $565 a month is a bit much.

January 28, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I too have found that Nuvigil acts like a sleeping pill. I am taking 150 mg every morning. It was prescribed to counteract a side effect from another medication. It has made it worse.

November 1, 2012 3:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have taken 250mg daily of Nuvigil for two years now. Without/before it I couldn't think straight, I dropped stuff, couldn't perform the simplest daily functions. Nuvigil has given me my life back! I couldn't drive for a year, I can now. My narcolepsy is pretty bad and if I miss one day of the Nuvigil I can't function. By the afternoon I can't stay awake or hold on to anything. The other medicine I was on didn't even compare to Nuvigil!

May 14, 2012 1:23 AM

Review by jvleagle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Love it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2012 2:09 PM

Review by Kathleena:

I have been taking Nuvigil about 8 mos now 250 mg in morning and 150mg in afternoon. At first I had a lot of jaw pain but went away after a week or two. I had a lot of energy at first and really felt like I was able to focus again. I don't fall asleep any more on rides in the car, nor do I get sleepy when driving like I used to. I have noticed that my memory is really failing me and I asked my doctor but he says that is not a side effect of Nuvigil so I don't know what to think. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going through menopause also but I think it is more than that. I always had a basically a photogenic memory and now it feels like like is speeding by. Thanks

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2012 1:39 PM

I'm a 21 year old college student. I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy without Cataplexy recently, even though it's been there basically my whole life. I'm currently on 250mg Nuvigil in the morning, and he's going to add another medication soon to help my brain sleep at night. Since I have such anxiety levels and it affects my sleep. It has helped me stay awake in class, but I still can't focus. I really don't feel much difference. I still take naps a few times a day, and I feel like the medication wears off by around 2:00PM and then I'm falling asleep again. The side effects I'm feeling are daily migraines, extreme cotton mouth, and sometimes an upset stomach.

April 2, 2012 10:35 AM

Review by 25/male:

I'm 25 years old and have had narcolepsy since I was around 10. I've never been on any medication before and have lived my life around constant daytime sleepiness and having to take regular naps. My Dr prescribed me Nuvigil. Day one was the greatest I have ever felt in 15 some odd years! I have energy to do things, can eat without having to sleep afterwards, can stay awake at work. Still randomly after being up for a excessive period of time I get the urge to take a nap and if I do so, I have no issues. Bad side effects are mild headaches, slight tightening of the chest. Bad thing is my insurance only covers a small portion of it and most likely wont be able to afford it.

February 25, 2012 7:35 PM

Review by LS5thBeatle:

I have EDS and found Nuvigil (250 mg) very effective for remaining awake for the first couple of weeks then my alertness diminished. I did find that while taking Nuvigil if I took a 20 minute nap in the afternoon, I awoke feeling refreshhed, not groggy and needing more sleep. The major side effect I experience is nearly severe jaw clenching/teeth grinding during the day when I was awake. My jaw is sore by 2 or 3 pm every day. Also, I found it difficult to sleep at night if I took it too late in the morning. I tried getting up at 5 am and taking my dose then sleeping for another hour. This helped me get to bed earlier at night. I noticed that I felt more anxious also.

February 21, 2012 4:24 PM

Review by Bridgetlynn:

I have had narcolepsy since at least age 15 but was not diagnosed until around age 27. I started with 200mg of Provigil, then when that didn't work 400mg Provigil. That didn't work so we tried 200mg Provigil with 15mg Adderall. That helped some for a while. Then when adderall was affecting my blood pressure we moved to Nuvigil and away from the combination. I have been on 250 Nuvigil for about 2 yrs. It has done well but now within recent weeks, it is not holding it's own. I just wonder, at this point what hope is there? If Provigil and Nuvigil do not work, how can I continue working? I can't drive like this, I can't focus, I can't stay awake.

February 13, 2012 9:16 AM

I get headaches from the medicine. It worked good for the first month and now I'm back to having sleep attacks.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2012 4:42 PM

I've been taking Nuvigil 250mg for about 1 month now. At first it was amazing and helped me stay alert and kept me from needing naps every day. About 2 weeks after starting I discovered a major decline in it's effectiveness and had to stop using it for a while to see if my tolerance would go back to normal. I still cannot go a full day without being tired so am considering doubling my dose or trying something else.

February 4, 2012 8:13 PM

Review by bxgirlinohio:

If it wasn't for the cost I would give it a ten. I've been taking 150mgs a day for almost a year. With a card from drug co. I only pay $20, but when that card expires I cant afford $50 per month. My doctor just prescribed me Ritalin 10mgs 3 times a day (also probably have ADD).

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2012 10:00 AM

I have a severe case of narcolepsy and Nuvigil honestly did not work at all.

December 22, 2011 8:54 PM

Review by Saved by Nuvigil:

I am a student. Was having sudden sleep blackouts when reading, or sitting in lecture. Also "brownouts" where, for example, listening to someone talk, I suddenly shut down and "sleep" but they think I am wide awake. Brownouts not good for driving! So, first day I took it, I read 3 chapters for a test that was two hours away. I stayed alert, and RETAINED every bit. No more blackouts or brownouts. Headache for the first week or so. Also, for the first few days, I hardly slept. Even stayed up all night a few times. I have learned to tweak it a bit, break the tablets, take a small amount at first and more later if I need it, but not overdo it. No changes in personality, other than being more competent at life.

December 3, 2011 2:45 PM

I have been taking Nuvigil for a little over a month now. At first I took 150mg. It worked for 3 days and then I went back to being exhausted. My doctor bumped the dosage to 250mg and it has been working a lot better. Thing is I can still feel episodes of sleepiness coming on later in the afternoon and have been adding caffeine but I think its bringing on the side effects like jitteryness, nausea, fogginess, extreme dry mouth and an uncomfortable feeling in my jaw and the back of my neck. I do not like the side effects and I am now trying to cut back on the caffiene hoping it will help. Going to add Xyrem to my treatment to see if it will fix me.

November 21, 2011 3:05 PM

Still taking 2-3 naps during the day on it!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate