User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Abilify reviews 296 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

Review by albishry: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Over the years I have taken a number of different drugs and combinations of drugs for depression. By far the worst side effects I have ever experienced were associated with Abilify. The muscles in my legs became so stiff that walking anywhere was slow and painful. I felt nauseous all the time and several times experienced acid reflux. There was the constant feeling of needing to move and involuntary jerks of arms and legs. Sometimes my legs would shake uncontrollably. It took a while for these side effects to subside after coming off the drug. It's really good to see that this drug has helped so many people but it's not for me!

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 26, 2010 7:03 AM
Review by dagwood: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: This medication has made a great difference in my life. I have suffered from a very resistant form of depression and Abilify has helped. I take it at night and it helps me sleep. To avoid the weight gain I make sure I don't eat anything after I've taken it and am ready for bed.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 21, 2010 8:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I was not warned by my doctor in advance that Abilify can lower your BP. I fainted regularly and could not drive for about 1 week, until they got me off of it again. It seemed to help with my mood, but unfortunately, I couldn't live with the side effect of passing out all the time!

January 20, 2010 9:07 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Abilify has been sort of amazing for my depression, but I think it definitely causes weight gain...even on a very low dose. This is very upsetting, so I am having to stop taking it unfortunately.

January 15, 2010 9:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: Took Abilify for 4 days. Had nausea for those 4 days and several days after I stopped taking it. I also have a twitch in my lower lip that is still there 7 months later.

January 9, 2010 7:14 AM
Review by cygnet101: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: My 10-yr old son has been taking 1 mg Abilify in the morning for the past 4 months. He used to be prone to loud shouting, hitting, spitting, etc. at home, but now little things don't bother him as much and he's easier to reason with. No side effects from this dose seem apparent so far. He's also taking 36 mg Concerta for ADD symptoms which would otherwise keep him from functioning for more than a couple of hours in the classroom. He's also taking Depakote for seizure control. He's been seizure-free for 2.5 years now, and we are gradually reducing that dose to zero. Eventually, we hope to reduce all these drugs to zero, one at a time.

January 4, 2010 1:32 PM
Review by lizzie06: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: Very good medicine for treating symptoms but very difficult to discontinue usage.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 25, 2009 6:48 AM
Review by tstan: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I take 5 mg daily in addition to 60 mg Cymbalta. Works for me, however I think it makes me crave sweets. I have gained about 10 pounds in the last 3 months. I guess it's just a matter of willpower to stop. As my psych said, "who's putting the food in your mouth, you ,right?"

December 19, 2009 12:23 PM
Review by Joe Joe My Boy: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: Abilify works wonders, but it can have long term side effects. Blood test are taken every 6 - 8 months to make sure everything is okay.

December 9, 2009 10:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: Makes me shakey.

December 8, 2009 9:54 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I took 10 mg tabs in the morning for like two and a half weeks. It had me believing in myself again. Almost manic like. Thinking I'm a genius, maybe I am. So also my emotions are deeply repressed, like I don't ever cry. After taking Abilify though, it seemed I was consciously aware of my own duality and that my emotions and thoughts are separate. Now that I'm on Abilify I can switch between what I want. Emotion, or thought. That's new for me. Then the side effects stopped me cold. Akinithesia or whatever hit me bad. Physical tiredness. Stopped taking it.

December 8, 2009 2:32 AM
Review by bassoon_banjo_girl: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: This medicine was prescribed to me as an add on with Zoloft. It did help my depression and anxiety... unfortunately I went from 118-122 lbs to 167 lbs.... and I didn't even weigh myself at my heaviest. I thought my thyroid was crapping out on me so I got that tested and it came back fine and then my Dr. was like.... one of the side effects of Abilify is weight gain. One of my friends who took it also gained a lot of weight as well... not to say if affects everyone this way but if you started taking it and are gaining weight like crazy with no end in site please talk to your doctor.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 23, 2009 11:44 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I take 12 mg per day. Side effects are minimal - slight nausea, slight diarrhea, loss of appetite, insomnia. I'm also taking NuVigil to deal with any sedation, and Ambien for the insomnia. I feel like a stable, grounded human being again!

November 20, 2009 4:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: My mother has taken this medicine for her bipolar and it does seem to help her out a lot with her condition. I'm glad there is research out there for the bipolar disorder because I think it's very important to people to have information on it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 20, 2009 9:33 AM
Review by Diabetic Disaster: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: My mom who was on Prolixn for years was put on Abilify in 2005 and was on it until 2007. She became more needy and more annoying, but wasn't having the psychotic symptoms as bad. The mental health center who was regulating her medication never checked her blood sugar, only blood pressure. She took a random blood test at a Walmart store and found her blood sugar was way out of control. She comes from a family with no history of diabetes, and she did drink soda or eat high sugar foods. She stopped taking the Abilify cold turkey which caused her to rebound into severe schizophrenic episodes. No one could reason with her.

November 19, 2009 12:15 PM
Review by Keddey: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: It did wonders for my mood, HOWEVER I was NOT told of the risks involved. And the positive did NOT outweigh the negative in this case. After only a month, I developed Atrodystrphy and my legs hurt badly. I can't sit still, I pace, I cry, ...anything to get the pain to stop. My pysch said it was from the Abilify. I'm now on Geodon and praying this isn't permanent. PLEASE be informed before taking this medication!

November 18, 2009 8:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I was on this medication for a few years and it worked wonders on my mood. I can get moody very quickly and while taking this medication, mood swings were rare. Unfortunately, I began suffering from body tremors and had to stop taking it. My hands would shake uncontrollably and my head actually shook back and forth. I didn't notice it but when I would talk to my sister, she would tell me that my head was rapidly shaking back and forth. That is why I rated this a 9 instead of a 10.

November 15, 2009 11:42 PM
Review by Jae B: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Abilify is working for me, I take it before I go to bed and helps me fall a sleep and stay sleep. I also wake early and I'm very energetic. I'm thankful for this medicine!

November 11, 2009 3:05 PM
Review by BP2: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: Abilify caused weight gain in my instance - I gained 10 kg, which is a lot for someone that was once petite. I lost all my confidence. I have been battling with Bipolar for years and never have I been on such an ineffective drug. I think it should just be taken off the market.

November 3, 2009 2:50 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I was given this drug and I started having pains all up and down my spine. I continued the drug because of my psychiatrists insistence that it wasn't caused by the drug. Months later I started having problems with paranoia and insomnia. I ended up in the hospital because I was almost suicidal and they took me off the medicines. All the side effects just melted away after that.

October 29, 2009 2:19 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Was prescribed this medicine as an adjunct to Paxil. Too many side effects, insomnia, blurry vision, etc. but I did notice that my compulsion to double-check things has almost disappeared.

October 24, 2009 3:37 PM
Review by beckysmith: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I don't think this drug is working for my depression, because I'm sleeping more than usual.

October 22, 2009 3:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: First dose was 5 mg, it made me so ill I fainted. Second night, took 2.5 mg and it's my ticket! I'm motivated, productive, can think and make decisions. I sleep 7-8 hours, wake up without pain and in the shower by 8am instead of waiting for 2pm for fibromyalgia pain to ease. I take it with 30 mg of Cymbalta, I think they compliment one another. It's been four weeks and I still feel like I've got a new lease on life. Hope it lasts.

October 22, 2009 12:03 AM
Review by killa foxxeo: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I had vomiting and just couldn't eat.

October 19, 2009 4:24 PM

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: My son is 16 and has ADHD and had been diagnosed as being depressed and eating disorder in the last 6 months. He takes Concerta for the ADHD. He started Abilify and we saw immediate results. Better behavior, less controversial and argumentative. Unfortunately, after being on the Abilify for 3 days, one of his teachers observed that his hands were shaking. My son didn't realize until it was pointed out to him. Then 5 days later he completely passed out and had tremors. Fortunately he was at home and fell on carpet and did it in front of me so we could get help. The doctor immediately took him off the Abilify. We were so hoping the Abilify would work.

October 16, 2009 11:58 AM