User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Schizoaffective Disorder 20 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 24 reviews 46 medications

5.6
Summary of Abilify reviews 385 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "Starting on day two of treatment I felt progressively sicker with mild nausea, muscle aching and general malaise."

Anonymous January 4, 2012

For Depression "This medications saved my life. I was suicidal, depressed and nothing seemed to work before. About a week after starting to take Abilify depression began lifting and I'm energetic and feel great again!"

Anonymous December 28, 2011

For Depression "After a couple of days on 2mg Abilify added to my Zoloft and Lamictal, the fog began to clear up a bit. (It reminds me of that Claritin commercial when everything all of a sudden on the TV screen becomes more clear and less fuzzy). That was a warm welcome after 25 years of, on and off "anti-depressant poop-out"! However, I am most certain that it has caused weight gain! I do not EVER weigh myself (past eating disorder issue), but my clothes are tighter around the waist. BUT I AM NOT EATING ANY DIFFERENTLY! In fact, I have made a concerted effort to eat less but nothing seems to give! Is it fluid? I'm baffled! Yes, I'm 43 now, but my metabolism wouldn't come to a screeching halt so quickly, would it? "

Anonymous December 26, 2011

For Depression "I am on Remeron and have suffered extreme anxiety for 3 months. Started in October and it is now nearly Christmas 2011. It has been the worst experience of my life. On Tuesday I couldn't take it anymore and went to my psychiatrist and said 'I don't care if he's busy, I'll wait' Long story short, he suggested Abilify. Two days and no anxiety, none, zero, nada. Actually, I got substantial relief with the first 2mg tablet. Honestly, today is Thursday and the 3 month nightmare seems to be completely over."

drchicagp December 22, 2011

For Depression "Simply put Abilify has been a miracle for me. Misdiagnosis led to numerous antidepressant attempts, anti-anxiety medicines. This was after years of using red wine and beer in massive quantities. I am on 2mg of Abilify and in disbelief of how happy I feel, with zero side effects."

HerrBuub December 20, 2011

For Agitated State "My daughter is 7 now and we leave in Brasil. Recently we visited the Amen Clinic in Reston/VA and her life changed. The doctor gave her Lamictal Intuniv. It didn't work as expected, she continued to be very hyper. So her Doctor decided to replace Lamictal for Abilify 5mg/day Intuniv 0.5mg/day. What a miracle. My daughter never played by herself for more than 5 minutes, now she plays quietly for hours. She's now the perfect little girl we always wanted and we can really enjoy being with her. She still needs to improve at school, can't focus without assistance, but we think this is improving as well, as it is right now. I must say we are very pleased with the combination Abilify Intuniv."

Happy Dad December 20, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Abilify for three weeks now. I also take Klonopin, Celexa, and Trileptal for bipolar II disorder. The Abilify was added to control my anger and aggression, because sometimes I just wanted to SNAP! I feel much better now. So far I've only lost weight because it makes me feel queasy and kills my appetite in general. However, I give it an 8 because it costs a small fortune to be on this medication ($600 a month since I no longer have insurance). It's made my insomnia worse too. Overall though as long as it doesn't make me gain weight it still rates high on my scale."

Anonymous December 9, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I have had emotional disorders all my life. I am 48 years old. I've always been taking something most of my adult life. I recently went off Lithium (after 2 years of 900 mg/day) and was put on Abilify. Wow. It's only been 3-4 days of taking it and I can tell a big difference. Taking 1/2 10 mg for 2 weeks then the whole 10 mg after that. I also take Prozac 40 mg/day. Thyroid medicines, blood pressure medicines and 2 mg clonazepam to sleep. I am surprised this Abilify has put energy in me so quick. "

frito2 December 3, 2011

For Depression "Abilify is a very good anti-depressant so far as this type of medication goes. There are very few side effects, the only ones I've noticed are a minor weight gain and a slight elevation in blood sugar, and I think that a good deal of that comes from the patient gaining his or her appetite back."

Anonymous November 28, 2011

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Eliminated hallucinations, but neither eliminated nor reduced delusions. Extreme anger, increasing as dosage increased, until becoming extremely violent. When Abilify was removed relative calm."

Anonymous November 14, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Abilify for almost a year now after having a starting to go into a manic episode. Abilify helped very quickly for me and kept me from going full blown mania. It also has stabilized my moods very well, however the down side is I have gained tremendous amounts of weight while on this 50lbs in the first 6 months with 34 more lbs in the following months. My regular MD told me it was the Abilify after doing some test for other things, and advised me to get off this. I can't afford to gain anymore weight and I am hoping that getting off this takes care of that, but I also hope I will remain stable. Good luck if you need this take it, but be aware of increased hunger and weight gain."

Anonymous November 10, 2011

For Depression "My food cravings are so bad that I've gained 9 lbs in 14 days. My memory is horrible. Went to the post office and 2 minutes later I forgot I had gone to the post office. Went to Walmart and forgot what store I was in. Blurred vision. Had to hire a driver. Dizziness. Yes, it improved my mood, yet I'm getting off of it!"

Anonymous 52 November 8, 2011

For Depression "Abilify has been a miracle for me. For 14 years I've tried to get relief from major depression, and until I got on this medicine nothing else worked. No weight gain a little side effect. My biggest gripe, TOO MUCH ENERGY. "

Anonymous November 2, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Abilify has enabled me to control some of my anxiousness and reactions due to being anxious better than I had been able to before. I no longer want to smack someone who I feel is doing me wrong - I am able to control those impulses so much better than before, it is not even funny. I think on a day to day basis, I am much more even keeled than I was before I started taking the medication. Keep in mind that I take it with an antidepressant (Lexapro) because I understand that Abilify provides an assist to the Lexapro in controlling my overwhelming depression symptoms. Depression and anger are now being controlled more effectively."

Eeyore2 October 26, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I took 10mg for about 6 months although initially I felt less manic, my muscles in my legs ached and I started to lose my zest to do anything. My whole outlook on life seemed to be dead but not in a depressed way. I stopped taking Abilify and gradually I started to return back to the creative person I have always been. I still take a mood stabiliser (topirimate) to control my mania and Prozac to stop my depressive moods. Abilify was just a step too far for me to handle, I don't want to be a zombie."

Mickalmus October 26, 2011

For Schizophrenia "I've been on a variety of medicines over the years, including Risperdal, Geodon with Zyprexa, and now Abilify. Though I feel I'm overly medicated at 40mg per day of Abilify, I've improved to the point where I don't hear voices or feel paranoid anymore and am active in the community. I take it at night and sleep around 9 to 10 hours per night. Not sure if that's normal with Abilify or not, but I'm not complaining. Surprisingly no other side effects."

Anonymous October 25, 2011

For Depression "I have been on Abilify for 16 days now and my mood is very stable; no highs and not the dark lows however; I do feel achy a lot of the time and insomnia has been a problem that seems to be getting slightly better as time goes on. I take 2mg in the morning and I plan to persevere for a couple more months and give this medicine a chance."

Arizonasands October 21, 2011

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Doctors added Abilify with Celexa (antidepressant) and Geodon and I finally feel normal."

Anonymous October 20, 2011

For Borderline Personality Disorder "A stronger dose was better for me but then I got side effects that would not subside."

tagri October 7, 2011

For Depression "I started Abilify (4 mg) about 10 days ago and it has been a lifesaver (literally). I also take 120 mg Cymbalta, 100 mg Lamictal, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 15 mg of Deplin - which is not an antidepressant but taken to augment depression medication. I have struggled the last 3 yrs with a depression relapse and post traumatic stress disorder recurrence and my medicines were not working. Not even all the ones I am on now. It was not until I started Abilify 10 days ago that I feel like I am well on my way to remission again. Have not thought about suicide in almost a week. MIRACLE! Everyone is different so this is just my experience. I also do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and exercise as much as I can. "

mimi97 October 4, 2011

For Tourette's Syndrome "My son is 19 and has had severe tics (screaming, mumbling, spitting, punching motions to name a few) for 4 years after having moderate symptoms since he was diagnosed at age 4. Last Monday, at our new neurologist's office, he was ticing roughly once a minute. He was prescribed Abilify, and the next day noticed a remarkable decrease in his tics. Unfortunately, he also had an extremely uncomfortable sense of restlessness. The doctor cut his dose in half, and my son has been experiencing mild tics approximately four times an hour since. This has been a miracle for him. He does not take any other medications. In the past, he had tried Abilify, but was taking Orap at the time as well, and had an increase in tics."

Thankful and amazed September 16, 2011

For Depression "I am on Lexapro but felt I needed a push mentally, like I was stuck. There was something not right. I was prescribed Abilify, and for the 2 weeks under minimum dose it was great. Then I felt slight agitation, aggressive, worst was memory loss. I knew it was not sudden onset dementia, but stopped and weaned after 4 weeks. I feel better now without it. The everyday, over small stuff, memory loss stopped. I sure felt good the first 2 weeks."

Anonymous September 9, 2011

For Autism "My 10 year old son, was on Risperdal and it was horrible for him. He started taking 2mg Abilify along with Celexa and in 2 months in school he was doing 70% better. This medication did make his appetite increase and he did gain weight, but not too much weight. Once his body got used to it, he began to have trouble sleeping, so his doctor increased his dosage to 4mg a day, 2mg in the morning and 2 mg at night. He is sleeping well again, and appetite has seem to stabilize. This medicine has been great for my son."

Anonymous August 27, 2011

For Depression "Felt human within days!"

Anonymous August 26, 2011

For Depression "I was put on Abilify 4 years ago for depression along with Prozac. At first it really helped my mood. That only lasted several months, so the doctor raised my dose to 10 mg a day. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months. I am still on the medicine but decided last night to take it down to 5 mg a day and eventually to discontinue it all together. No matter what I do, eat healthy, exercise, etc., I cannot lose weight. It has to be the Abilify, I can't think of any other reason. I probably only put 1200 calories a day into my body, if that. I should be losing. "

KellyJ August 24, 2011