User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 5 reviews 44 medications

3.2
Summary of Abilify reviews 312 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression: Combined with Remeron, it initially lifted my mood for a few days, but it made me too tired to function when I took it during the day. Also, it may have contributed to seriously compulsive eating (though Remeron is implicated in that too). The worst aspect was this weird agitation in my brain. It felt like there was a traffic jam of thoughts every so often and this went away when I stopped taking the drug. Everyone's brain is different though.

May 17, 2010 3:04 AM

Review by ohkayla172:

For Depression: I have been on Effexor XR 225 mg and Valium 5 mg for 8 years and in the last year or so started getting more depressed again. I went on Abilify 2 mg 2 weeks ago and feel like living again. I went out and did errands and visited and shopped for 4 days in a row which was nearly a miracle. The doctor raised it to 5 mg yesterday and so far I feel fantastic! I sure hope it lasts!

May 14, 2010 6:30 PM

Review by Sideffects2:

This really works although there is some restlessness, but considering the options this is a miracle drug quelling the delusions, body dysmorphia and insomnia (so far, so good). This is the second time taking this. Compared to the others this is the best. Can't get fat cause you're restless. It's just the omipresent worry about the long-term effects so I gave it a 7.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2010 3:01 AM

Review by ntcrzy:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Abilify for about 3 weeks, along with trazadone for insomina and anxiety, and tapering off Paxil. I've noticed a significant improvement in controlling my emotions, and for the most part am a lot calmer. Suffered some side effects such as restlessness, and the shakes but overall the positives outweigh the negatives. I started off on a very low, 2.5 mg, dose but expect to have this raised at my next appointment with the Doctor.

May 7, 2010 9:30 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Have used Abilify for about 18 months and it has helped me in all aspects. Can focus and can control the racing thoughts and mania attacks. It helps with the outburst and have lost weight.

May 6, 2010 5:37 AM

Review by bug juice:

I dealt with nausea and overheating the summer of 2008. That winter she gave me 15mg and it made the difference. I'm active minded. I sleep 6 to 8 hours. I have energy to mow 8 lawns a week and work twenty-seven hours a week. Exercise is normal but I tire when I mow to many lawns at once, 3 average lawns work per day, the doctors are ecstatic and hopeful. One thing I did is lose 35 lbs in seven months-5lbs per month. I'm 5'5" and was 235lbs and now I'm 203lbs. Everyone I know says how great I look and feel! I'm me again thanks ABILIFY!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2010 11:42 PM

For Depression: My Doctor gave me 2 weeks of Abilify, 2mg as a sample to take in addition to my 450mg of Wellbutrin. Made me extremely dizzy and had difficulty driving safely due to this.

April 3, 2010 9:04 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have experienced more rapid cycling with this medication, major insomnia and then sleepiness. Also, I have experienced shortness of breath and higher blood pressure. However it helps in making oneself quite groggy for half a day.

March 31, 2010 2:47 PM

Review by anna007:

For Schizophrenia: I've been on Abilify for about two months. So far I've found it to be weight neutral. At first I felt faint a lot but much less now. I also had tremors at first and difficulty speaking with a lot of tiredness but all that has passed. In all it helps my psychotic symptoms and delusions, not 100% but its good enough. I would recommend it to anyone its prescribed.

March 25, 2010 9:30 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I had severe tardive dyskinesia due to this medication within a few doses of taking it.

March 22, 2010 1:55 AM

For Agitated State: My Daughter has ADHD with a high level of agression, she is eleven. This medicine has so far been a miracle for her and for all of us too. It has been about six weeks and she has only experienced a small amount of weight gain. She is more focused at school and not fighting with friends, teachers, and family. She is doing homework and cleaning her room. She doesn't seem to have any sleep problems. I will watch the weight gain and look for signs of muscle reactions. Otherwise I am praying this medicine continues the way it has because I have not yelled for the first time in 9 or 10 years and she is happy. More dr's need to step away form Concerta and that family of drugs if they see they dont work or causes the aggression.

March 18, 2010 2:16 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Abilify for a year for treatment of bipolar disorder. Towards the end, I was getting Parkinsonian symptoms and had to stop taking it. Also was having hand tremors and feet tremors.

March 5, 2010 8:29 PM

Review by holyschnitzel:

For Bipolar Disorder: Stopped my mixed episode very quickly!

February 25, 2010 12:09 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: So far, Abilify seems to be the one drug that has worked for me. My mood is much more stable and I have actually been feeling good for the first time in a long time. One good side effect is that it has caused me to lose weight. I really don't have much of an appetite anymore. At the beginning I had quite a bit of nausea but that has passed. A negative side effect I have been experiencing is sleepiness. It is almost to the point where I can't function during the day because I am so tired. My doctor recently cut my dose in half so I am hoping that does the trick.

February 16, 2010 3:57 PM

Review by fenix7:

For Bipolar Disorder: After a few days and it "kicked in," every noise in the house would make me jump, pictures on TV would feel as if they were 3-D and make me jump, and I literally felt like my skin was crawling, moving, and melding to things, such as blankets. My mind focused and keyed in on every piece of white noise there was and I had sweaty, night hot flashes with chills.

February 10, 2010 7:52 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Good for depression. Akathisia was horrible!

January 31, 2010 2:56 AM

Review by albishry:

For Depression: Over the years I have taken a number of different drugs and combinations of drugs for depression. By far the worst side effects I have ever experienced were associated with Abilify. The muscles in my legs became so stiff that walking anywhere was slow and painful. I felt nauseous all the time and several times experienced acid reflux. There was the constant feeling of needing to move and involuntary jerks of arms and legs. Sometimes my legs would shake uncontrollably. It took a while for these side effects to subside after coming off the drug. It's really good to see that this drug has helped so many people but it's not for me!

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2010 7:03 AM

Review by dagwood:

For Depression: This medication has made a great difference in my life. I have suffered from a very resistant form of depression and Abilify has helped. I take it at night and it helps me sleep. To avoid the weight gain I make sure I don't eat anything after I've taken it and am ready for bed.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2010 8:14 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was not warned by my doctor in advance that Abilify can lower your BP. I fainted regularly and could not drive for about 1 week, until they got me off of it again. It seemed to help with my mood, but unfortunately, I couldn't live with the side effect of passing out all the time!

January 20, 2010 9:07 AM

For Depression: Abilify has been sort of amazing for my depression, but I think it definitely causes weight gain...even on a very low dose. This is very upsetting, so I am having to stop taking it unfortunately.

January 15, 2010 9:07 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Took Abilify for 4 days. Had nausea for those 4 days and several days after I stopped taking it. I also have a twitch in my lower lip that is still there 7 months later.

January 9, 2010 7:14 AM

Review by cygnet101:

For Agitated State: My 10-yr old son has been taking 1 mg Abilify in the morning for the past 4 months. He used to be prone to loud shouting, hitting, spitting, etc. at home, but now little things don't bother him as much and he's easier to reason with. No side effects from this dose seem apparent so far. He's also taking 36 mg Concerta for ADD symptoms which would otherwise keep him from functioning for more than a couple of hours in the classroom. He's also taking Depakote for seizure control. He's been seizure-free for 2.5 years now, and we are gradually reducing that dose to zero. Eventually, we hope to reduce all these drugs to zero, one at a time.

January 4, 2010 1:32 PM

Review by lizzie06:

For Bipolar Disorder: Very good medicine for treating symptoms but very difficult to discontinue usage.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2009 6:48 AM

Review by tstan:

For Depression: I take 5 mg daily in addition to 60 mg Cymbalta. Works for me, however I think it makes me crave sweets. I have gained about 10 pounds in the last 3 months. I guess it's just a matter of willpower to stop. As my psych said, "who's putting the food in your mouth, you ,right?"

December 19, 2009 12:23 PM

Review by Joe Joe My Boy:

For Autism: Abilify works wonders, but it can have long term side effects. Blood test are taken every 6 - 8 months to make sure everything is okay.

December 9, 2009 10:05 PM