User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 9 reviews 44 medications

5.2
Summary of Abilify reviews 321 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression: At first I thought this medication was great. I did feel better in just a few days but then the jerking started and sometimes what felt like anxiety attacks. I have never had anxiety attacks before. I quit the medicine after about 4 months simply because of the side effects. It did make me more alert and active.

September 1, 2010 10:18 PM

Review by jk13:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: While this medicine helped, and really did snuff out the symptoms associated with my trauma disorder. It also had so many side effects. Taking it would put me into a sleepy sort of fog, and felt very out of it. We then tried Minipress, and have had much more success with that. I now use Abilify as an emergency medicine. It acts as a great last resort to stop all of the overly emotional symptoms associated with an attack/flash back, and helps put you back in a better place, even if it gets a bit foggy. I haven't used it for a couple weeks now, but I haven't also worked on the trauma issues for a while as well. I'd give it a 10 for rare emergency use, and a 5 for day to day use due to its side effects, thus the 7

August 27, 2010 11:44 AM

Review by lisaouk1:

For Bipolar Disorder: Only been taking Abilify for 3 weeks. Seems okay so far but craving sweet things so worried about any weight gain though none so far, also hard to concentrate for too long.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2010 10:04 AM

Review by drugcount:

For Bipolar Disorder: I had a metabolic reaction-severe. In less than a month I gained 20lbs and my cholesterol was raised to a high level. I have always had low cholesterol, so my psychiatrist took me off of it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2010 10:22 AM

Review by jsmithru:

For Depression: This drug has DRASTICALLY improved my life. I hope it keeps working! I battled depression and anxiety for 15 years tried dozens of drugs, no drugs, diets, therapy, you name it. I even self medicated with alcohol for a short while. Recently my depression and anxiety got so bad I gained 30 pounds, couldn't get out of bed and was suicidal. On Abilify I feel normal, a feeling I haven't had in a long time. I'm motivated to make the most of my day, the crying spells and suicidal ideation has stopped, and I sleep like a baby. I had just about given up on medication thinking they may be the route of my increased depression but Abilify has been a life saver! No negative side effects for me!

218 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2010 9:01 AM

For Depression: Antihistamines work for a lot of negative side effects.

May 30, 2010 12:28 PM

Review by kytteneyes:

For Bipolar Disorder: While on abilify I felt normal and happy. Although I did gain some weight, I was still happy with the medicine. I am having to go off it though due to history of diabetes in family and the doctor has told me that my sugar levels are getting high and going towards diabetes. Also I am not sure but I have developed a swallowing problem which I never had and I know that if you have a swallowing problem before starting you should discuss with your doctor so I am just thinking that this has caused it. Still looking into this though. I do recommend this to everyone who can try it.

May 26, 2010 11:54 PM

Review by Magnifier:

For Depression: I have suffered from major depression, panic-anxiety attacks and generalized anxiety since 1994. My doctor started my treatment with 10mg of Paxil (paroxetine) over the years the dosage went up from 10mg to 20mg, 20mg to 30 mg. On July 2008 my doctor raised the dosage from 30mg to 40mg, but in April 2010 my depression panic- anxiety attacks got worse. I felt lack of motivation, unproductive, unable to think or make decisions, wanted to be in bed all day. I was very depressed. I went to my Doctor and he told me that since I ahd been taking Paxil for more than 15 years probably the medication was not working for me anymore and he prescribed citalopram 20mg and Provigil 200mg. I'm doing better. Good luck.

May 25, 2010 1:44 PM

Review by RBaker732:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Besides the side effects Abilify for Psychoaffective disorder has worked miracles for me. PEACE OF MIND.

May 24, 2010 12:30 AM

For Depression: Combined with Remeron, it initially lifted my mood for a few days, but it made me too tired to function when I took it during the day. Also, it may have contributed to seriously compulsive eating (though Remeron is implicated in that too). The worst aspect was this weird agitation in my brain. It felt like there was a traffic jam of thoughts every so often and this went away when I stopped taking the drug. Everyone's brain is different though.

May 17, 2010 3:04 AM

Review by ohkayla172:

For Depression: I have been on Effexor XR 225 mg and Valium 5 mg for 8 years and in the last year or so started getting more depressed again. I went on Abilify 2 mg 2 weeks ago and feel like living again. I went out and did errands and visited and shopped for 4 days in a row which was nearly a miracle. The doctor raised it to 5 mg yesterday and so far I feel fantastic! I sure hope it lasts!

May 14, 2010 6:30 PM

Review by Sideffects2:

This really works although there is some restlessness, but considering the options this is a miracle drug quelling the delusions, body dysmorphia and insomnia (so far, so good). This is the second time taking this. Compared to the others this is the best. Can't get fat cause you're restless. It's just the omipresent worry about the long-term effects so I gave it a 7.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2010 3:01 AM

Review by ntcrzy:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Abilify for about 3 weeks, along with trazadone for insomina and anxiety, and tapering off Paxil. I've noticed a significant improvement in controlling my emotions, and for the most part am a lot calmer. Suffered some side effects such as restlessness, and the shakes but overall the positives outweigh the negatives. I started off on a very low, 2.5 mg, dose but expect to have this raised at my next appointment with the Doctor.

May 7, 2010 9:30 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Have used Abilify for about 18 months and it has helped me in all aspects. Can focus and can control the racing thoughts and mania attacks. It helps with the outburst and have lost weight.

May 6, 2010 5:37 AM

Review by bug juice:

I dealt with nausea and overheating the summer of 2008. That winter she gave me 15mg and it made the difference. I'm active minded. I sleep 6 to 8 hours. I have energy to mow 8 lawns a week and work twenty-seven hours a week. Exercise is normal but I tire when I mow to many lawns at once, 3 average lawns work per day, the doctors are ecstatic and hopeful. One thing I did is lose 35 lbs in seven months-5lbs per month. I'm 5'5" and was 235lbs and now I'm 203lbs. Everyone I know says how great I look and feel! I'm me again thanks ABILIFY!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2010 11:42 PM

For Depression: My Doctor gave me 2 weeks of Abilify, 2mg as a sample to take in addition to my 450mg of Wellbutrin. Made me extremely dizzy and had difficulty driving safely due to this.

April 3, 2010 9:04 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have experienced more rapid cycling with this medication, major insomnia and then sleepiness. Also, I have experienced shortness of breath and higher blood pressure. However it helps in making oneself quite groggy for half a day.

March 31, 2010 2:47 PM

Review by anna007:

For Schizophrenia: I've been on Abilify for about two months. So far I've found it to be weight neutral. At first I felt faint a lot but much less now. I also had tremors at first and difficulty speaking with a lot of tiredness but all that has passed. In all it helps my psychotic symptoms and delusions, not 100% but its good enough. I would recommend it to anyone its prescribed.

March 25, 2010 9:30 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I had severe tardive dyskinesia due to this medication within a few doses of taking it.

March 22, 2010 1:55 AM

For Agitated State: My Daughter has ADHD with a high level of agression, she is eleven. This medicine has so far been a miracle for her and for all of us too. It has been about six weeks and she has only experienced a small amount of weight gain. She is more focused at school and not fighting with friends, teachers, and family. She is doing homework and cleaning her room. She doesn't seem to have any sleep problems. I will watch the weight gain and look for signs of muscle reactions. Otherwise I am praying this medicine continues the way it has because I have not yelled for the first time in 9 or 10 years and she is happy. More dr's need to step away form Concerta and that family of drugs if they see they dont work or causes the aggression.

March 18, 2010 2:16 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Abilify for a year for treatment of bipolar disorder. Towards the end, I was getting Parkinsonian symptoms and had to stop taking it. Also was having hand tremors and feet tremors.

March 5, 2010 8:29 PM

Review by holyschnitzel:

For Bipolar Disorder: Stopped my mixed episode very quickly!

February 25, 2010 12:09 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: So far, Abilify seems to be the one drug that has worked for me. My mood is much more stable and I have actually been feeling good for the first time in a long time. One good side effect is that it has caused me to lose weight. I really don't have much of an appetite anymore. At the beginning I had quite a bit of nausea but that has passed. A negative side effect I have been experiencing is sleepiness. It is almost to the point where I can't function during the day because I am so tired. My doctor recently cut my dose in half so I am hoping that does the trick.

February 16, 2010 3:57 PM

Review by fenix7:

For Bipolar Disorder: After a few days and it "kicked in," every noise in the house would make me jump, pictures on TV would feel as if they were 3-D and make me jump, and I literally felt like my skin was crawling, moving, and melding to things, such as blankets. My mind focused and keyed in on every piece of white noise there was and I had sweaty, night hot flashes with chills.

February 10, 2010 7:52 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Good for depression. Akathisia was horrible!

January 31, 2010 2:56 AM