User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Schizoaffective Disorder 19 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 18 reviews 44 medications

5.3
Summary of Abilify reviews 367 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Borderline Personality Disorder "A stronger dose was better for me but then I got side effects that would not subside."

tagri October 7, 2011

For Depression "I started Abilify (4 mg) about 10 days ago and it has been a lifesaver (literally). I also take 120 mg Cymbalta, 100 mg Lamictal, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 15 mg of Deplin - which is not an antidepressant but taken to augment depression medication. I have struggled the last 3 yrs with a depression relapse and post traumatic stress disorder recurrence and my medicines were not working. Not even all the ones I am on now. It was not until I started Abilify 10 days ago that I feel like I am well on my way to remission again. Have not thought about suicide in almost a week. MIRACLE! Everyone is different so this is just my experience. I also do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and exercise as much as I can. "

mimi97 October 4, 2011

For Tourette's Syndrome "My son is 19 and has had severe tics (screaming, mumbling, spitting, punching motions to name a few) for 4 years after having moderate symptoms since he was diagnosed at age 4. Last Monday, at our new neurologist's office, he was ticing roughly once a minute. He was prescribed Abilify, and the next day noticed a remarkable decrease in his tics. Unfortunately, he also had an extremely uncomfortable sense of restlessness. The doctor cut his dose in half, and my son has been experiencing mild tics approximately four times an hour since. This has been a miracle for him. He does not take any other medications. In the past, he had tried Abilify, but was taking Orap at the time as well, and had an increase in tics."

Thankful and amazed September 16, 2011

For Depression "I am on Lexapro but felt I needed a push mentally, like I was stuck. There was something not right. I was prescribed Abilify, and for the 2 weeks under minimum dose it was great. Then I felt slight agitation, aggressive, worst was memory loss. I knew it was not sudden onset dementia, but stopped and weaned after 4 weeks. I feel better now without it. The everyday, over small stuff, memory loss stopped. I sure felt good the first 2 weeks."

Anonymous September 9, 2011

For Autism "My 10 year old son, was on Risperdal and it was horrible for him. He started taking 2mg Abilify along with Celexa and in 2 months in school he was doing 70% better. This medication did make his appetite increase and he did gain weight, but not too much weight. Once his body got used to it, he began to have trouble sleeping, so his doctor increased his dosage to 4mg a day, 2mg in the morning and 2 mg at night. He is sleeping well again, and appetite has seem to stabilize. This medicine has been great for my son."

Anonymous August 27, 2011

For Depression "Felt human within days!"

Anonymous August 26, 2011

For Depression "I was put on Abilify 4 years ago for depression along with Prozac. At first it really helped my mood. That only lasted several months, so the doctor raised my dose to 10 mg a day. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months. I am still on the medicine but decided last night to take it down to 5 mg a day and eventually to discontinue it all together. No matter what I do, eat healthy, exercise, etc., I cannot lose weight. It has to be the Abilify, I can't think of any other reason. I probably only put 1200 calories a day into my body, if that. I should be losing. "

KellyJ August 24, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I am on 2mg of Abilify now. Went up to 4 mg but was too tired all day, could not function. 2mg a day of Abilify along with 250 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 Zyprexa works extremely well for me. It helped mostly for my depression and gave me my energy back. Sleep great and no side effects (as long as I don't take more than 2 mg of Abilify). If you are suffering, talk to your doctor about trying Abilify. I started very slowly with the dosing."

mihilo August 11, 2011

For Depression "When I first began taking Abilify it worked well for for me along with my Zoloft. However, the side effect of dizziness was so great that I could not walk without a cane nor could I safely drive a car. Also, I got the jitters so badly it was difficult going anywhere in public. My doctor finally took me off the medicine and all the side effects have disappeared and I am doing well once again."

Anonymous August 4, 2011

For Depression "I have had an extended bout of situational depression after my mother died. Abilify definitely helped with motivation for me, so far it has been the best medication in this regard. However, the constant sensation of heat and flu like symptoms are quite bothersome, (worse than a hot menopausal hot flash) but the insomnia will ultimately prevent me from taking this medication as I need to be able to drive."

Anonymous July 26, 2011

For Tourette's Syndrome "My children both have anxiety issues, probably Aspergers or Autism (PDD-NOS). After 2 years on Abilify, both of them developed tics and had to stop taking it, so I find it interesting that it's used to prevent tics. Abilify worked great to stop their temper tantrums for about 1.5 to 2 years, but then its effectiveness faded, and then the tics started. My son's dosage was increased when Abilify ceased to work as well, and it still did not work anymore, and then the tics started. We thought maybe it was due to the higher dosage, but my daughter's dosage was never increased. My son is on a similar medicine now (which causes alot of weight gain) after years of trying others not in the same family. Not sure what we'll do with my daughter's medicines."

Anonymous July 21, 2011

For Agitated State "I take this for borderline personality disorder. This medication helped a lot with my mood swings, anger, purging (but not binging), as well as keeping my somewhat delusional 'thoughts' in check (such as thinking that I am morbidly obese, an evil person, that people are following me, etc). It did make me very tired at first (and still does a little), it is somewhat related to weight gain as well, though less than most other antipsychotics, and I have gained 10-15lbs so far (in 2 months). Overall, I think this medication is pretty good, despite the weight gain and fatigue."

Momo Mathieu July 17, 2011

For Depression "Switched from Risperdal to treat anxiety and irritability related to depression. Once I worked up to 10mg dose, I developed a sort of stutter, caused by an inability to move my tongue correctly. Dropping back down to 5mg made that problem disappear quickly. Discontinued taking drug due to weight gain (10-15 lbs.)."

Anonymous July 13, 2011

For Depression "Side effects were jitters, insomnia, rapid heart beat and restless legs."

Brynncess13 June 17, 2011

For Depression "Abilify was okay but it made me very agitated and anxious."

Anonymous May 20, 2011

For Depression "My mom was prescribed Abilify about a week ago. Earlier today (5/14/11), my mom was in a great mood, we got into a conversation and somehow she brought up her effects of Abilify. After she told me I could see how much it has helped her. She used to be antisocial, didn't have motivation to do anything and has been suffering from resistant depression for years. She is so happy now. I have been dealing with a lot of issues. I have a moderate stutter. It has complete control of me. I am always anticipating that I'm going to stutter. "

Abilified. May 15, 2011

For Depression "I've been on Abilify for about 2 weeks now. As most everyone else had said, this medication does miracles when it comes to fixing depression. My depression struggle of 4 years is gone. But also it comes with side effects .. It's this restless agitated feeling that just wont go away. When I sleep it seems to be better but other than that it's always really bad. My vision is also really bad but that could be because of the Seroquel XR that I'm coming off of."

JuliaL May 5, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Abilify 30 mg for about 4 years now. I also take 2 antidepressants Paxil 40mg and Wellbutrin 300mg daily. Abilify changed my life for the better. I had been on a roller-coaster of medicines taking Seroquel for a few years. When I tried Abilify I barely had side effects though for the first month I had excessive sweating. I have gained 70 pounds since I began taking medicines (8 years). Recently I was taken off Abilify to try Lithium. I became severely depressed and manic. I even went to the ER for suicide. The few times I've been off my medicines I've been hospitalized. So I say definitely YES to Abilify. "

Anonymous April 30, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Has helped very well with the depression and does a good job balancing things out so I don't often have a really low low or a very high high."

Anonymous April 27, 2011

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "So far I would recommend taking this at night. Instead of having insomnia it made me very sleepy."

bandit64 April 20, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "1st day on Abilify seemed like I had energy. 2-3 days later insomnia set in big time. Even tried taking 2 Lunesta...didn't work. 2 weeks later, I was in the ER from side effects. Tremors, not comfortable in my own skin, slurred speech, couldn't focus or concentrate. Spouse thought I'd had a stroke. They gave me Ativan and Benadryl. I got a new Psychiatrist after that. Just starting on Lithium now. We'll see."

KATAPOLER April 12, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication worked so well for my bipolar, no side effects except for dizziness when I forgot to take a dose. Had to stop taking it because I no longer have insurance and couldn't afford $600 per month for one medication. Wish I could afford to go back on it."

Anonymous March 28, 2011

For Depression "I have been on all kinds of anti-depressants for years and Cymbalta has worked the best for me, but not quite there. My doctor added Abilify about 8 days ago and I have started to feel so much better. I am hopeful that this will continue to do the trick. I am on 2 mg a day. As far as side effects I haven't really noticed any. I do sleep through the night now which is a blessing."

musicblue March 14, 2011

For Depression "I gained weight very quickly while taking this."

Anonymous March 12, 2011

For Depression "Abilify has been a miracle drug as an anti-depressant augmenter. It eliminates the mood disorder side of depression and anxiety when taken with my other medications. Unfortunately, it's also makes me very drowsy even at super low dosages (e.g. 1/2-1.5 mg)."

Anonymous March 10, 2011