User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

6.2
Major Depressive Disorder 14 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Abilify reviews 338 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression: I have not felt this happy and normal in a very long time. Do feel shaky about once a day but worth it to feel happy again.

January 22, 2011 9:45 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I had such bad side effects from Abilify with no positive effects. My cholesterol went up, I had heartburn or acid reflux every night that would wake me up. I got totally paranoid and was even scared to drive or ride in a car. I had unusual fears of dying, I had a hard time laying still and would have to move my legs and arms. I got really bad dizzy spells usually while I was driving,, which created more fears of driving. I still haven't found something that works for me. Losing hope.

January 21, 2011 9:38 PM

For Depression: After just about a couple of days after taking Abilify I feel much better. It has taken me from thinking about suicide all the time and not having any hope to actually wanting to go out and do things. The bad side is the restlessness I hear so much about. I almost feel like it's making me manic, and I cannot sit still. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes I just pace around for no reason, so I cut down to a half a pill. Overall I feel like its helping.

January 18, 2011 9:15 AM

Review by Krypton:

For Bipolar Disorder: I love this medicine. I have bipolar II disorder, and this medicine does everything it's supposed to do. It keeps my manic moods completely in check, and works very well in conjunction with Zoloft. I have been on both drugs for years, and I have not had any serious depression or mania for over 20 years! The only side effect that I experience is fatigue, but so worth it. The side effects are minimal. I feel and act NORMAL.

January 17, 2011 10:05 PM

Review by fls:

For Depression: It has been about a week and half since I started Abilify. It has been 50 years of suffering Clinical Depression. I have been without Depression ever since I started Abilify. I am one happy camper! I have been so resistant to so many medicines. Have been on Lexapro, Welbutrin and Trazodone for years. The past year(s) I had this depression that was "hovering" over me preventing me to feel any enjoyment whatsoever. Well, Abilify has allowed me to feel LIFE. I have energy and I even look forward doing things again. The only negative factor is that I enjoy my one cup of coffee a day. Well, no more. If I drink a cup, I feel as if I drank tons of coffee. Stay away from Caffeine. And, I am NOT HUNGRY!

January 17, 2011 7:09 PM

For Depression: This medication is nothing short of a miracle for me. I have been suffering from debilitating postpartum depression (hospitalized for 3 months) for 7 months, and no combination of SSRI's/antipsychotics had worked for me until Abilify. After about 4 days I began feeling happier, less suicidal. I am on 2mg in the morning. Haven't noticed any real negative side effects. I almost feel "normal" for the first time in close to a year. Love this medication.

January 11, 2011 12:06 PM

For Schizophrenia: So far, so good. Abilify is extremely strong, so I have found I am fine with just 5mg daily. Taking a lower dose gets rid of most of the unpleasant side effects (restlessness and constipation).

January 9, 2011 5:57 AM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Abilify was the first antipsychotic my doctor tried with me after I was diagnosed with schizoaffactive disorder. It did nothing for me. My main symptoms are depression, difficulty concentrating and hallucinations. I noticed no difference in any of these while on the Abilify. Except for the side effects, you would think I wasn't taking anything. The side effects were orthostatic hypotension (dizziness upon standing), blurred vision, and involuntary muscle twitches. My doctor took me off Abilify after three weeks and we tried Invega, which worked much better.

January 3, 2011 3:55 PM

Review by Janette33:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Abilify for 5 years. I take 15 mg. Abilify has changed the quality of my life for the better. I take this pill when I can't sleep.

December 26, 2010 6:17 AM

Review by Lete:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I suffered for over 5 years in an episode state, I was diagnosed bipolar schizoaffective in January of 2008. Was prescribed Abilify for the schizoaffective disorder and Zoloft for the bipolar disorder the combination of the two has changed my life. I'm not homeless anymore and am able to hold a part time job to support myself.

December 23, 2010 11:34 PM

Review by jencan:

For Depression: It has helped me to get out of the worst depressive episode of my life (1.5 years), but I only sleep a few hours a night, my arms and shoulders feel like lead weights, and I tend to have racing thoughts. I am still trying to figure out whether to stay on it or not.

November 26, 2010 6:30 AM

Review by Miss Nancy:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have tried just about every Bipolar Medicine there is out there and then some. I am completely satisfied with this medicine. All of the others had terrible side effects. Neurontin, Zyprexa, Lithium, Tegretol, you name it I've tried it. It is very hard to get someone who is bipolar to take medicines due to the fact there are so many side effects. In my opinion Abilify does what is says it supposed to do with no side effects. Of course everyone is different. This medicine works. It keeps me from going high or low. Most bipolar patients should probably be on an antidepressant, which is only my opinion since everyone is unique.

November 13, 2010 3:33 PM

Review by bedhead1012000:

For Depression: A miracle medicine for me. I take it with Effexor XR 100mg, I immediately felt relief from my depression and anxiety. I had more energy than I knew what to do with (bordering restlessness though), no side effects except for the ants in the pants feeling. Tried several different medications, and this is by far the best. The samples were great, I just hope I can afford to pay for it...I hope it helps you like it's helped me.

November 2, 2010 12:48 AM

Review by Eddieguy:

For Depression: Abilify worked wonderfully for me when taken with Effexor, if it weren't for the restlessness I felt I'd still be on it.

October 27, 2010 12:00 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: When I first was put on Abilify I thought I wouldn't be able to take it. I constantly had to move my feet. I developed restless leg syndrome. I hung in there and kept taking it. After a couple weeks had passed, the restless leg stopped. I have now been stable on Abilify for 4 years now. My mood swings are non-existent now. I don't have the emotional ups and downs that I used to. However, I have gained 34 pounds since starting this medicine. My doctor would like me to switch to Geodon, in hopes of losing the Abilify weight. I am scared to switch since I've done so well on the Abilify. But I must lose some weight and get my cholesterol down, since Abilify also raises cholesterol. Besides the weight gain, I've been thrilled with Abilify.

October 11, 2010 4:32 PM

Review by leopardeyes:

For Bipolar Disorder: So far the best medication for bipolar disorder I've taken. I started out successfully at 20mg for a year. Then I developed twitching on the left side of my body. My doctor reduced my dosage to 2 mg a day and put me on Artane. I am glad I found this medicine because I don't have to take it daily and I no longer feel as if I'm going insane. Helpful, but you really need to pay attention to the way your body handles it. My twitching has gone away thankfully.

September 26, 2010 9:40 AM

For Tourette's Syndrome: I take Abilify and Lexapro together for Tourette's Syndrome and the results are excellent. If you have tics which make you uncomfortable in any way, I highly suggest going to a Psychiatrist who specializes in TS and discussing these medications.

September 14, 2010 11:02 AM

For Depression: At first I thought this medication was great. I did feel better in just a few days but then the jerking started and sometimes what felt like anxiety attacks. I have never had anxiety attacks before. I quit the medicine after about 4 months simply because of the side effects. It did make me more alert and active.

September 1, 2010 10:18 PM

Review by jk13:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: While this medicine helped, and really did snuff out the symptoms associated with my trauma disorder. It also had so many side effects. Taking it would put me into a sleepy sort of fog, and felt very out of it. We then tried Minipress, and have had much more success with that. I now use Abilify as an emergency medicine. It acts as a great last resort to stop all of the overly emotional symptoms associated with an attack/flash back, and helps put you back in a better place, even if it gets a bit foggy. I haven't used it for a couple weeks now, but I haven't also worked on the trauma issues for a while as well. I'd give it a 10 for rare emergency use, and a 5 for day to day use due to its side effects, thus the 7

August 27, 2010 11:44 AM

Review by lisaouk1:

For Bipolar Disorder: Only been taking Abilify for 3 weeks. Seems okay so far but craving sweet things so worried about any weight gain though none so far, also hard to concentrate for too long.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2010 10:04 AM

Review by drugcount:

For Bipolar Disorder: I had a metabolic reaction-severe. In less than a month I gained 20lbs and my cholesterol was raised to a high level. I have always had low cholesterol, so my psychiatrist took me off of it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2010 10:22 AM

Review by jsmithru:

For Depression: This drug has DRASTICALLY improved my life. I hope it keeps working! I battled depression and anxiety for 15 years tried dozens of drugs, no drugs, diets, therapy, you name it. I even self medicated with alcohol for a short while. Recently my depression and anxiety got so bad I gained 30 pounds, couldn't get out of bed and was suicidal. On Abilify I feel normal, a feeling I haven't had in a long time. I'm motivated to make the most of my day, the crying spells and suicidal ideation has stopped, and I sleep like a baby. I had just about given up on medication thinking they may be the route of my increased depression but Abilify has been a life saver! No negative side effects for me!

220 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2010 9:01 AM

For Depression: Antihistamines work for a lot of negative side effects.

May 30, 2010 12:28 PM

Review by kytteneyes:

For Bipolar Disorder: While on abilify I felt normal and happy. Although I did gain some weight, I was still happy with the medicine. I am having to go off it though due to history of diabetes in family and the doctor has told me that my sugar levels are getting high and going towards diabetes. Also I am not sure but I have developed a swallowing problem which I never had and I know that if you have a swallowing problem before starting you should discuss with your doctor so I am just thinking that this has caused it. Still looking into this though. I do recommend this to everyone who can try it.

May 26, 2010 11:54 PM

Review by Magnifier:

For Depression: I have suffered from major depression, panic-anxiety attacks and generalized anxiety since 1994. My doctor started my treatment with 10mg of Paxil (paroxetine) over the years the dosage went up from 10mg to 20mg, 20mg to 30 mg. On July 2008 my doctor raised the dosage from 30mg to 40mg, but in April 2010 my depression panic- anxiety attacks got worse. I felt lack of motivation, unproductive, unable to think or make decisions, wanted to be in bed all day. I was very depressed. I went to my Doctor and he told me that since I ahd been taking Paxil for more than 15 years probably the medication was not working for me anymore and he prescribed citalopram 20mg and Provigil 200mg. I'm doing better. Good luck.

May 25, 2010 1:44 PM