User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 16 reviews 44 medications

5.4
Summary of Abilify reviews 349 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder: Has helped very well with the depression and does a good job balancing things out so I don't often have a really low low or a very high high.

April 27, 2011 1:19 PM

Review by bandit64:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: So far I would recommend taking this at night. Instead of having insomnia it made me very sleepy.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2011 4:49 PM

Review by KATAPOLER:

For Bipolar Disorder: 1st day on Abilify seemed like I had energy. 2-3 days later insomnia set in big time. Even tried taking 2 Lunesta...didn't work. 2 weeks later, I was in the ER from side effects. Tremors, not comfortable in my own skin, slurred speech, couldn't focus or concentrate. Spouse thought I'd had a stroke. They gave me Ativan and Benadryl. I got a new Psychiatrist after that. Just starting on Lithium now. We'll see.

April 12, 2011 1:22 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication worked so well for my bipolar, no side effects except for dizziness when I forgot to take a dose. Had to stop taking it because I no longer have insurance and couldn't afford $600 per month for one medication. Wish I could afford to go back on it.

March 28, 2011 8:36 PM

Review by musicblue:

For Depression: I have been on all kinds of anti-depressants for years and Cymbalta has worked the best for me, but not quite there. My doctor added Abilify about 8 days ago and I have started to feel so much better. I am hopeful that this will continue to do the trick. I am on 2 mg a day. As far as side effects I haven't really noticed any. I do sleep through the night now which is a blessing.

March 14, 2011 4:08 PM

For Depression: I gained weight very quickly while taking this.

March 12, 2011 6:52 PM

For Depression: Abilify has been a miracle drug as an anti-depressant augmenter. It eliminates the mood disorder side of depression and anxiety when taken with my other medications. Unfortunately, it's also makes me very drowsy even at super low dosages (e.g. 1/2-1.5 mg).

March 10, 2011 8:51 PM

Review by greeneyedjezebel:

For Bipolar Disorder: I know every medication works different on each person. But Abilify worked great for the first few months. I felt like my old self again. I took 10mg once a day but over the course of 1.5 years my blood pressure went up (never had a problem with it before it had always been perfect), all my cholesterol levels skyrocketed, my glucose levels went up, my muscles begin to get tight, I GAINED 50lbS too, and the worse part was the i was beginning to have more up-n-down moments and depression.

February 13, 2011 11:25 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: The first day when I woke up I felt like my body had been hit by a mack truck! But the second day, my body felt fine. It took about 2 weeks for side effects to go away (trouble sleeping, headache, stomach upset). The motivation has been wonderful. I take it with Wellbutrin and Lamictal. I never wanted to try it because of the weight gain but I have not found that to be true. In my case motivation = exercise.

February 13, 2011 9:26 AM

Review by Not depressed Anymore:

For Depression: Abilify has given me my life back. I still suffer from insomnia and Abilify hasn't made it better, but I'm happier, can keep my thoughts on track, have more energy, and want to socialize like I used to. My depression is gone. I combine this with Cymbalta and both have been miracle medicines for me.

February 6, 2011 2:01 PM

For Depression: I recently suffered a really bad cycle of my lingering depression and my doctor prescribed Abilify to go along with the Zoloft I've was already on. I have to say, after only 3 weeks of taking 2.5 mg, I see a tremendous difference in my level of energy and motivation. I feel alive again. The only negatives I can mention is that I've had a lot of trouble sleeping, and I tend to feel much more "wired" throughout the day. But, if that's the trade off for feeling like a human again, I'll take it.

January 23, 2011 4:09 PM

For Depression: I have not felt this happy and normal in a very long time. Do feel shaky about once a day but worth it to feel happy again.

January 22, 2011 9:45 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I had such bad side effects from Abilify with no positive effects. My cholesterol went up, I had heartburn or acid reflux every night that would wake me up. I got totally paranoid and was even scared to drive or ride in a car. I had unusual fears of dying, I had a hard time laying still and would have to move my legs and arms. I got really bad dizzy spells usually while I was driving,, which created more fears of driving. I still haven't found something that works for me. Losing hope.

January 21, 2011 9:38 PM

For Depression: After just about a couple of days after taking Abilify I feel much better. It has taken me from thinking about suicide all the time and not having any hope to actually wanting to go out and do things. The bad side is the restlessness I hear so much about. I almost feel like it's making me manic, and I cannot sit still. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes I just pace around for no reason, so I cut down to a half a pill. Overall I feel like its helping.

January 18, 2011 9:15 AM

Review by Krypton:

For Bipolar Disorder: I love this medicine. I have bipolar II disorder, and this medicine does everything it's supposed to do. It keeps my manic moods completely in check, and works very well in conjunction with Zoloft. I have been on both drugs for years, and I have not had any serious depression or mania for over 20 years! The only side effect that I experience is fatigue, but so worth it. The side effects are minimal. I feel and act NORMAL.

January 17, 2011 10:05 PM

Review by fls:

For Depression: It has been about a week and half since I started Abilify. It has been 50 years of suffering Clinical Depression. I have been without Depression ever since I started Abilify. I am one happy camper! I have been so resistant to so many medicines. Have been on Lexapro, Welbutrin and Trazodone for years. The past year(s) I had this depression that was "hovering" over me preventing me to feel any enjoyment whatsoever. Well, Abilify has allowed me to feel LIFE. I have energy and I even look forward doing things again. The only negative factor is that I enjoy my one cup of coffee a day. Well, no more. If I drink a cup, I feel as if I drank tons of coffee. Stay away from Caffeine. And, I am NOT HUNGRY!

January 17, 2011 7:09 PM

For Depression: This medication is nothing short of a miracle for me. I have been suffering from debilitating postpartum depression (hospitalized for 3 months) for 7 months, and no combination of SSRI's/antipsychotics had worked for me until Abilify. After about 4 days I began feeling happier, less suicidal. I am on 2mg in the morning. Haven't noticed any real negative side effects. I almost feel "normal" for the first time in close to a year. Love this medication.

January 11, 2011 12:06 PM

For Schizophrenia: So far, so good. Abilify is extremely strong, so I have found I am fine with just 5mg daily. Taking a lower dose gets rid of most of the unpleasant side effects (restlessness and constipation).

January 9, 2011 5:57 AM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Abilify was the first antipsychotic my doctor tried with me after I was diagnosed with schizoaffactive disorder. It did nothing for me. My main symptoms are depression, difficulty concentrating and hallucinations. I noticed no difference in any of these while on the Abilify. Except for the side effects, you would think I wasn't taking anything. The side effects were orthostatic hypotension (dizziness upon standing), blurred vision, and involuntary muscle twitches. My doctor took me off Abilify after three weeks and we tried Invega, which worked much better.

January 3, 2011 3:55 PM

Review by Janette33:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Abilify for 5 years. I take 15 mg. Abilify has changed the quality of my life for the better. I take this pill when I can't sleep.

December 26, 2010 6:17 AM

Review by Lete:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I suffered for over 5 years in an episode state, I was diagnosed bipolar schizoaffective in January of 2008. Was prescribed Abilify for the schizoaffective disorder and Zoloft for the bipolar disorder the combination of the two has changed my life. I'm not homeless anymore and am able to hold a part time job to support myself.

December 23, 2010 11:34 PM

Review by jencan:

For Depression: It has helped me to get out of the worst depressive episode of my life (1.5 years), but I only sleep a few hours a night, my arms and shoulders feel like lead weights, and I tend to have racing thoughts. I am still trying to figure out whether to stay on it or not.

November 26, 2010 6:30 AM

Review by Miss Nancy:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have tried just about every Bipolar Medicine there is out there and then some. I am completely satisfied with this medicine. All of the others had terrible side effects. Neurontin, Zyprexa, Lithium, Tegretol, you name it I've tried it. It is very hard to get someone who is bipolar to take medicines due to the fact there are so many side effects. In my opinion Abilify does what is says it supposed to do with no side effects. Of course everyone is different. This medicine works. It keeps me from going high or low. Most bipolar patients should probably be on an antidepressant, which is only my opinion since everyone is unique.

November 13, 2010 3:33 PM

Review by bedhead1012000:

For Depression: A miracle medicine for me. I take it with Effexor XR 100mg, I immediately felt relief from my depression and anxiety. I had more energy than I knew what to do with (bordering restlessness though), no side effects except for the ants in the pants feeling. Tried several different medications, and this is by far the best. The samples were great, I just hope I can afford to pay for it...I hope it helps you like it's helped me.

November 2, 2010 12:48 AM

Review by Eddieguy:

For Depression: Abilify worked wonderfully for me when taken with Effexor, if it weren't for the restlessness I felt I'd still be on it.

October 27, 2010 12:00 AM