User Reviews for Abilify (Page 10)

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 15 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 37 reviews 47 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 456 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "After thinking that antidepressants were just a huge money maker for the pharmaceutical industry. I was prescribed 2mg of Abilify in combination with Wellbutrin (300mg), and 10mg of Prozac, I feel like a new man. I just hope that the effects don't wear off over time."

Sa1159 April 10, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I would hide at home for months, shaking when a telephone rang. I couldn't let people go and had obsessive thoughts. Abilify gave me calm, confidence and hope. It made me less sensitive to light and time, I was no longer at the mercy of each passing moment. I woke up relaxed, went to bed without a noise in my head, inner voices stopped criticizing me, thoughts didn't race. I was creative but focused, and began wonderful new projects. Had NO side effects- NO weight gain. 'Worked magic that first day. But after a month it seemed to do nothing but make me sad. Evidently that was a manic phase. It blocks my mania, but not my depressive switch. Feels like I've traded manic depression for unipolar depression. I am being switched to lithium."

mysteriousprincess (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2013

For Depression "I started Abilify on 2mg with Prozac and Klonopin. After just 3 days I felt the energy that was lacking for so many years. Before Abilify I had been on so many different antidepressants I felt there was nothing for me so I chose drinking. Wrong choice but it was the only thing that would make me feel normal. I finally quit with help from my family. I was put on Abilify, Prozac and Klonopin. I have now switched Prozac with Effexor 75 mg and Abilify 8 mg 4 mg in morning and 4mg at night 37.5 of Effexor in morning and night, also 2mg of Klonopin 2 times day or as needed. I do suffer from vivid dreams and have gained a little weight but when I was drinking I wouldn't eat and lost a lot of weight. Overall it is a godsend."

Beck2004 March 28, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Abilify has been a life saver to me. Initially there were side affects, but I was determined to stick with it and in time, they went away. I've been on a combination of different antidepressants which just didn't seem to be working. It seems that over time, they lose their effectiveness. The depression, anxiety and panic attacks became so bad that I couldn't get out of bed, sleeping all day and staying awake all night. I had no desire or motivation to do anything. I began to become aware of suicidal thoughts which scared me. My doctor decided to add 2 mg. of Abilify to my regimen and it has worked like a miracle. My only concern is that I am still feeling some anxiety, restlessness and occasional panic which may be from the Ability."

Holly2004 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Unfortunetly abilify didn't work for me, and there were no bad side effects from it. I have heard some good things about abilify. It just wasn't for me."

TERRYMARIE February 24, 2013

For Depression "I have taken abilify for one year. It was prescribed as an add on to Cymbalta after a suicide attempt. I feel it boosts my mood. BUT I have gained 35 pounds. I can't imagine continuing on a medication with this side effect. It is not worth it to switch my angst over life circumstances to feeling depressed over a continual weight gain."

in my 50's (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I WAS on Abilify for more than a year. then it got prohibitively expensive. (over $250) I was on 15mg. It made my rage and aggression more manageable. I think this is a MIRACLE pill. The only side affect that DIDN'T go away, was the restless leg syndrome. If you can afford this medicine, take it, it's GREAT."

mare bear (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2013

For Depression "I took Abilify with Celexa for one night. It seemed to work pretty well as soon as I took it. However, only three hours later, I was sitting on the couch when suddenly my arm lifted up and flung itself over the arm rest. I didn't even feel a muscle twitch. I wouldn't have even known had I not seen it move and felt it flop against the rest. It was bizarre. Two other incidents happened that same night, so I called my doctor in a panic who told me not to take the next dose. They took me off it immediately. It allowed me to feel more relaxed. However, the side effect was so bad I couldn't even attempt to do a month of treatment without possibly injuring myself."

AnnaSophia (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2013

For Depression "Abilify, along with Prozac has worked amazing for me. But there is a downside to using Abilify. WEIGHT GAIN! Once I started it, my appetite increased like crazy and now I've gained about 60 lbs. It's like do I want to quit taking it and go "crazy" but be thin or keep taking it and be fat and happy, literally!"

coolmom96 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2013

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Made me feel worse like I was having a heart attack/panic attack. Too many side effect. No good."

amberwlynch (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2013

For Depression "I have suffered long term post trauma depression. Recently I ended up in a hospital for mental health. My psychologist decided to add Abilify 5 mg a day, I also take Lustral 100mg. Abilify started to work within 5 weeks. Brilliant. Before this medicine I was on the verge of suicide. Long may this good feeling last."

tabby cat January 27, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This pulled me right out of the zombie state the mood stabilizer antidepressant combination had put me in. I still have swings, but they're not as deep or as long, and my mania is still stifled enough that it's productive rather than destructive."

Ori (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2013

For Agitated State "My child was diagnosed at the age of 4 with severe ADHD. We tried all medications. Even added Risperdal. He was very angry and agitated all the time. After 1 week on Abilify (along with metadate) he is a whole new kid. Loving it!"

Maximus412 January 19, 2013

For Borderline Personality Disorder "Abilify is a miracle for me! I had tried, lithium, Risperdal, Depakote & they never worked. I know it does not work for everyone because everyones brain's are different but it WORKS for me & I am finally the person I have always wanted to be. I actually stop & think rationally in negative situations, when I used to react inappropriately with anger & then regret what I said or my actions. I have depression, severe anxiety and BiPolar Disorder (because of childhood trauma) and I am happy for the first time in my life. A Dr. prescribed it to me about 4yrs ago & I guess it was fairly new and I did not have insurance at the time so it was going to be $425 (too expensive) for a months supply & didn't get it. That is one of the biggest mistakes of my life so far."

Hsherman27 January 5, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Loving it so far, seems to be giving me a life. I am a single mom who struggles with bipolar polar everyday and has been on almost everything and combo of things out there with no success. The only problems I've noticed so far are nausea, dizziness, and being extremely tired throughout the day. I have only been on the medicine for a short period of time so I'm hoping these side effects will start to go away but compared to what I normally deal with, they are nothing. The big issue is I do not have insurance so my doctor is currently giving me samples. I'm trying to qualify for the financial assistance program but if I don't I won't be able to take the medication."

shorty8358 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2012

For Borderline Personality Disorder "I did very well on Abilify lost 114 pounds but I was allergic to it for a year had rashes and moods swings on it so they took me off it yesterday."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 20, 2012

For Depression "I have been taking this medication for several months along with Viibryd for depression and anxiety. This has really helped with my depression almost immediately but I have gained 14 pounds in 2 months with exercising! I have decided to stop both medications and try something new when I see doctor on Friday. I can't handle the weight gain not worth it to me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was prescribed Abilify 15mg in addition to Depakote 1g daily for bipolar affective disorder and my mood was stabilised but it wad constantly low and on the edge. I was heavily sedated that I slept 15 hours a day and when I was awake I didn't feel 'completely there', and I also had blurred vision. I was taken off the Abilify and put onto Quetiapine and was more alert and my vision improved, so in my case Abilify really didn't suit me."

Anonymous November 8, 2012

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Although this medicine works wonders for some and not so well for others, I have found that it has helped me a great deal. It is truly a miracle for me. Without it I would not be the person that I am today. I was put on this medicine when it was barely out of the lab. It has totally changed my life. I love it!"

daisy1979 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Abilify helped me at the maxed out dose of 30mg. I noticed that it made my manic episodes be more contained, however, when I was depressed it dragged me down deeper. I actually was suicidal. It was a real painful thing since usually my manic episodes are a lot worse."

tedlenoski3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 22, 2012

For Schizophrenia "Worked great on my son, but side effect of restless leg syndrome made it too annoying for him to continue to take."

Anonymous October 22, 2012

For Depression "I really like Abilify. I take it combined with another medication (Lamictal) and my depression improves along with it my racing mind. I have also taken this medicine before for about a year."

JenLynn1013 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2012

For Borderline Personality Disorder "Abilify made my life mine again. The side effects are minimal and well tolerated. I recommend this!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2012

For Schizophrenia "I have recently been placed on Abilify 20mg for early onset schizophrenia. Previously I was on Amisulpride which made me very tired and gave me problems with sexual dysfunction, Abilify has provided me with a symptom free solution."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2012

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I heard voices and experienced wild delusions for over ten years before I found Abilify. At first I took 10mg of Haldol to quiet the voices but that stopped working after 6 months. And the side effects of Haldol were high. My experience with Abilify I think are better than average, in that I'm symptom free, with no side effects. 30mg a day for three years."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2012