User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Schizoaffective Disorder 19 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 23 reviews 44 medications

5.4
Summary of Abilify reviews 377 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "Abilify is a very good anti-depressant so far as this type of medication goes. There are very few side effects, the only ones I've noticed are a minor weight gain and a slight elevation in blood sugar, and I think that a good deal of that comes from the patient gaining his or her appetite back."

Anonymous November 28, 2011

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Eliminated hallucinations, but neither eliminated nor reduced delusions. Extreme anger, increasing as dosage increased, until becoming extremely violent. When Abilify was removed relative calm."

Anonymous November 14, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Abilify for almost a year now after having a starting to go into a manic episode. Abilify helped very quickly for me and kept me from going full blown mania. It also has stabilized my moods very well, however the down side is I have gained tremendous amounts of weight while on this 50lbs in the first 6 months with 34 more lbs in the following months. My regular MD told me it was the Abilify after doing some test for other things, and advised me to get off this. I can't afford to gain anymore weight and I am hoping that getting off this takes care of that, but I also hope I will remain stable. Good luck if you need this take it, but be aware of increased hunger and weight gain."

Anonymous November 10, 2011

For Depression "My food cravings are so bad that I've gained 9 lbs in 14 days. My memory is horrible. Went to the post office and 2 minutes later I forgot I had gone to the post office. Went to Walmart and forgot what store I was in. Blurred vision. Had to hire a driver. Dizziness. Yes, it improved my mood, yet I'm getting off of it!"

Anonymous 52 November 8, 2011

For Depression "Abilify has been a miracle for me. For 14 years I've tried to get relief from major depression, and until I got on this medicine nothing else worked. No weight gain a little side effect. My biggest gripe, TOO MUCH ENERGY. "

Anonymous November 2, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Abilify has enabled me to control some of my anxiousness and reactions due to being anxious better than I had been able to before. I no longer want to smack someone who I feel is doing me wrong - I am able to control those impulses so much better than before, it is not even funny. I think on a day to day basis, I am much more even keeled than I was before I started taking the medication. Keep in mind that I take it with an antidepressant (Lexapro) because I understand that Abilify provides an assist to the Lexapro in controlling my overwhelming depression symptoms. Depression and anger are now being controlled more effectively."

Eeyore2 October 26, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I took 10mg for about 6 months although initially I felt less manic, my muscles in my legs ached and I started to lose my zest to do anything. My whole outlook on life seemed to be dead but not in a depressed way. I stopped taking Abilify and gradually I started to return back to the creative person I have always been. I still take a mood stabiliser (topirimate) to control my mania and Prozac to stop my depressive moods. Abilify was just a step too far for me to handle, I don't want to be a zombie."

Mickalmus October 26, 2011

For Schizophrenia "I've been on a variety of medicines over the years, including Risperdal, Geodon with Zyprexa, and now Abilify. Though I feel I'm overly medicated at 40mg per day of Abilify, I've improved to the point where I don't hear voices or feel paranoid anymore and am active in the community. I take it at night and sleep around 9 to 10 hours per night. Not sure if that's normal with Abilify or not, but I'm not complaining. Surprisingly no other side effects."

Anonymous October 25, 2011

For Depression "I have been on Abilify for 16 days now and my mood is very stable; no highs and not the dark lows however; I do feel achy a lot of the time and insomnia has been a problem that seems to be getting slightly better as time goes on. I take 2mg in the morning and I plan to persevere for a couple more months and give this medicine a chance."

Arizonasands October 21, 2011

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Doctors added Abilify with Celexa (antidepressant) and Geodon and I finally feel normal."

Anonymous October 20, 2011

For Borderline Personality Disorder "A stronger dose was better for me but then I got side effects that would not subside."

tagri October 7, 2011

For Depression "I started Abilify (4 mg) about 10 days ago and it has been a lifesaver (literally). I also take 120 mg Cymbalta, 100 mg Lamictal, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 15 mg of Deplin - which is not an antidepressant but taken to augment depression medication. I have struggled the last 3 yrs with a depression relapse and post traumatic stress disorder recurrence and my medicines were not working. Not even all the ones I am on now. It was not until I started Abilify 10 days ago that I feel like I am well on my way to remission again. Have not thought about suicide in almost a week. MIRACLE! Everyone is different so this is just my experience. I also do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and exercise as much as I can. "

mimi97 October 4, 2011

For Tourette's Syndrome "My son is 19 and has had severe tics (screaming, mumbling, spitting, punching motions to name a few) for 4 years after having moderate symptoms since he was diagnosed at age 4. Last Monday, at our new neurologist's office, he was ticing roughly once a minute. He was prescribed Abilify, and the next day noticed a remarkable decrease in his tics. Unfortunately, he also had an extremely uncomfortable sense of restlessness. The doctor cut his dose in half, and my son has been experiencing mild tics approximately four times an hour since. This has been a miracle for him. He does not take any other medications. In the past, he had tried Abilify, but was taking Orap at the time as well, and had an increase in tics."

Thankful and amazed September 16, 2011

For Depression "I am on Lexapro but felt I needed a push mentally, like I was stuck. There was something not right. I was prescribed Abilify, and for the 2 weeks under minimum dose it was great. Then I felt slight agitation, aggressive, worst was memory loss. I knew it was not sudden onset dementia, but stopped and weaned after 4 weeks. I feel better now without it. The everyday, over small stuff, memory loss stopped. I sure felt good the first 2 weeks."

Anonymous September 9, 2011

For Autism "My 10 year old son, was on Risperdal and it was horrible for him. He started taking 2mg Abilify along with Celexa and in 2 months in school he was doing 70% better. This medication did make his appetite increase and he did gain weight, but not too much weight. Once his body got used to it, he began to have trouble sleeping, so his doctor increased his dosage to 4mg a day, 2mg in the morning and 2 mg at night. He is sleeping well again, and appetite has seem to stabilize. This medicine has been great for my son."

Anonymous August 27, 2011

For Depression "Felt human within days!"

Anonymous August 26, 2011

For Depression "I was put on Abilify 4 years ago for depression along with Prozac. At first it really helped my mood. That only lasted several months, so the doctor raised my dose to 10 mg a day. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months. I am still on the medicine but decided last night to take it down to 5 mg a day and eventually to discontinue it all together. No matter what I do, eat healthy, exercise, etc., I cannot lose weight. It has to be the Abilify, I can't think of any other reason. I probably only put 1200 calories a day into my body, if that. I should be losing. "

KellyJ August 24, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I am on 2mg of Abilify now. Went up to 4 mg but was too tired all day, could not function. 2mg a day of Abilify along with 250 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 Zyprexa works extremely well for me. It helped mostly for my depression and gave me my energy back. Sleep great and no side effects (as long as I don't take more than 2 mg of Abilify). If you are suffering, talk to your doctor about trying Abilify. I started very slowly with the dosing."

mihilo August 11, 2011

For Depression "When I first began taking Abilify it worked well for for me along with my Zoloft. However, the side effect of dizziness was so great that I could not walk without a cane nor could I safely drive a car. Also, I got the jitters so badly it was difficult going anywhere in public. My doctor finally took me off the medicine and all the side effects have disappeared and I am doing well once again."

Anonymous August 4, 2011

For Depression "I have had an extended bout of situational depression after my mother died. Abilify definitely helped with motivation for me, so far it has been the best medication in this regard. However, the constant sensation of heat and flu like symptoms are quite bothersome, (worse than a hot menopausal hot flash) but the insomnia will ultimately prevent me from taking this medication as I need to be able to drive."

Anonymous July 26, 2011

For Tourette's Syndrome "My children both have anxiety issues, probably Aspergers or Autism (PDD-NOS). After 2 years on Abilify, both of them developed tics and had to stop taking it, so I find it interesting that it's used to prevent tics. Abilify worked great to stop their temper tantrums for about 1.5 to 2 years, but then its effectiveness faded, and then the tics started. My son's dosage was increased when Abilify ceased to work as well, and it still did not work anymore, and then the tics started. We thought maybe it was due to the higher dosage, but my daughter's dosage was never increased. My son is on a similar medicine now (which causes alot of weight gain) after years of trying others not in the same family. Not sure what we'll do with my daughter's medicines."

Anonymous July 21, 2011

For Agitated State "I take this for borderline personality disorder. This medication helped a lot with my mood swings, anger, purging (but not binging), as well as keeping my somewhat delusional 'thoughts' in check (such as thinking that I am morbidly obese, an evil person, that people are following me, etc). It did make me very tired at first (and still does a little), it is somewhat related to weight gain as well, though less than most other antipsychotics, and I have gained 10-15lbs so far (in 2 months). Overall, I think this medication is pretty good, despite the weight gain and fatigue."

Momo Mathieu July 17, 2011

For Depression "Switched from Risperdal to treat anxiety and irritability related to depression. Once I worked up to 10mg dose, I developed a sort of stutter, caused by an inability to move my tongue correctly. Dropping back down to 5mg made that problem disappear quickly. Discontinued taking drug due to weight gain (10-15 lbs.)."

Anonymous July 13, 2011

For Depression "Side effects were jitters, insomnia, rapid heart beat and restless legs."

Brynncess13 June 17, 2011

For Depression "Abilify was okay but it made me very agitated and anxious."

Anonymous May 20, 2011