User Reviews for Otezla

Learn more about Otezla.

Otezla Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Otezla to treat Psoriatic Arthritis

"I was amazed at how quickly Otezla worked on my Psoriasis & Psoriatic Arthritis. I was ecstatic and I had absolutely no side effects. Unfortunately, it was short lived and 5 months later Otezla stopped completely working for me."

Carr120 May 26, 2016

"I gave it a try for 2 months, but the abdominal pain, diarrhea, and pounding headaches never went away. I verified that you can cut the pills to try to taper up the dosage and they start you on smaller dosed pills to begin with anyway. After 2 months I never got up to the full dose and my side effects never got better. I did try taking the full dose and had rapid diarrhea and had a pounding headache that lasted 3 days. It was less successful than 3 of the 4 TNF-alpha inhibitors I had tried and less effective than Xeljanz (tofacitinib) at treating my psoriatic arthritis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

"I have tried other biological and nothing worked. I started on the Otezla and it immediately started to see a difference. I have Sjogrens Secondary with the dry mouth and dry eyes and the Otezla stopped those symptoms and I was able to come off that medicine. My psoriasis is gone by 95 percent. I use a topical for the spot on my elbow. I occasionally have headaches and pain in my knuckles, but overall it is life changing for me."

carrotmater1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2016

"I've been on Otezla for about 6 weeks. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I feel worse than before I started on it. Lower backache, horrible pain in my head and face. Can't get a good night's sleep as my hips hurt. The headaches are the worse,trying to work with a daily headache,I don't have much psoriasis as it cleared up years ago, just some on my scalp now.The doctor says to give it at least 14 weeks to work.Don't know if I'll last that long with the pain in my head/face.I get the meds straight from the company so don't know how much they actually cost."

Net in oz (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

"Side effects are tremendous, severe headaches, diarrhea and nearly living on toilet, fever and aches and pains all over. Been taking it for 3 weeks to see if I will ever get use to the side effects and they will subside, so far no. Not sure how much longer I can last on Otezla. Was really hoping it would help..."

Guessing I will survive (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2016

"My legs and elbows were covered and within two months it was all gone !"

Bling16 April 12, 2016

"For me Otezla is a wonder drug. My Psoriatic Arthritis has been non existent for 9 months now since I started taking Otezla."

OtezlaWonder (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2016

"I've had psoriasis for 35 years and arthritis for perhaps 30. For about 9 years I took Enbrel and methotrexate with very good results. Despite my long-term success with this combo, about 6 months ago I decided to replace Enbrel with Otezla, primarily because I wanted to decrease my use of immunosuppressants and because of the cancer risks associated with Enbrel. For the first 2-3 weeks I had the expected side effects, the worst being having to move my bowels 5-6 times a day. Also some headaches. Now, six months in, I think I am ready to go back to Enbrel. My scalp psoriasis used to be almost non-existent but is now getting bad. Same for my elbows/forearms. I also have many aches and pains that I've never had before...."

Glicks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

"Thought this would be a perfect treatment for newly diagnosed but relatively minor hand PsA for past 13yrs. Did experience some weight loss that I attribute that to frequent and loose bm's. There was a detectable mood change but again tolerable. My worst problem was muscle spasms that started in one hip migrated to lower back and then to the other hip to the point of not sleeping. I stopped and ramped up slower which seemed to help but starting coming back. Never had any previous problem with side effects of any meds before. I have what should be good benefits working for a world class employer but plan but they would not cough up without trying the immune suppressive stuff first. Currently on sulfasalizine which seems to help enough"

howbouthis January 19, 2016

"My psoriatic arthritis started about 36 months ago I tried light therapy and was on enbroe for about 8 months with limited improvement from either treatment procedure. My back, head, and legs were very covered with psoriasis and were extremely itchy. My scratching exacerbated the problem and I had bleeding scores all over my legs. One year ago I went on otezla and within 4 months my back and head were completely clear and my legs were vastly improved I did not experience any side effects to speak of although I did lose 10 lbs. Currently my legs are about 80% clear however after about 5 months of use the palms of my hands and my feet were severely infected with psoriasis to the point were they were cracking and bleeding no matter how much l tried to look after them"

Gb75 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 15, 2016

"Recently diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. Achy stiff joints in fingers, toes, ankles, knees, and hips. Plaque psoriasis on elbows, knees, behind ears, and above eyes. After several medications, because insurance requires it, my Rhum gave me a couple choices including Otezla. I will do anything to stay away from immune suppressive drugs, I don't want to trade one problem for another and likely worse. Been using starter packs for a month with good improvement in plaque psoriasis and no noticeable difference in joint pain. Doc says 2-3 months to see full affect. Unfortunately, my insurance slammed the door on me and is refusing to pay for the drug, appeal was denied. They have no problem paying for immune suppressive drugs because they are cheaper."

Pats fan (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

"My joint pain in hand and feet are all gone . The only side affect I have is a tension headache every evening about the same time, it a good drug I am please with it, going to give it a other month or two to see if tension headache goes away it always on the right side on the back of the head. It help to hear other people side effect to see if any other people have the same effects."

North Georgia (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2016

"Couldn't go up 1 flight of stairs without my heart rate jumping to 140 and was very short of breath. I also experienced severe pain in hip joints 40% of the time. My body felt like it was dying. I was only on it 1 month."

linniepoo January 2, 2016

"I am 60 and I have had Psoriatic Arthritis since I was 20. So 40 years of trying all kinds of topical medications, cortisone creams, sun light and UVB treatments, Dead Sea Trips and eventually Methotrexate. 6 months ago, my Dermatogist suggested I try Otezla. My Insurance refused to pay for it and suggested all kinds of Biologic medications. I refused the Biologic meds after reading of dangerous side effects. Otezla approved me on a temporary Bridge program while we are fighting the Insurance. Initial results were astonishing. Both the Arthritis pain and the Psoriasis were gone! I stopped taking the Methtrexate. About 3 months after I started taking Otezla, some Psoriasis patches came back, though the Arthritic pain is minimal."

Dead Sea Expert (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2016

"Otezla gave me a lung infection. For thee weeks I coughed up blood. It took two rounds of hi-powered antibiotics to get over it."

trxas Bill December 29, 2015

"I started taking Otezla in January 2015 & stopped in August due to price. It definitely helped my Psoriasis & also psoriatic arthritis but not completely. There are many side affects that are not mentioned. I had very bad backache & also my Hb A1c went up to 6.2 though I am not diabetic & also lost weight on Otezla. After stopping Otezla now A1c is 5.7 & backache is better too."

Zfg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 24, 2015

"Works fantastic."

John6250 December 22, 2015

"I was on the 28 day starter pack made it to the regular dose of 30 mg 2x aday Severe headaches like I have never experienced before, I have had migraines for over 40 years these were worse. MD reduced dose to 30 once a day. Still had some headaches, jaw pain and nausea the side effects have outweighed the good- no real improvement in hands - will stop taking Otezla It also made me extremely moody and angry."

Moldy shoe December 1, 2015

"Otezla did not work for me. The good part was that the pain in my fingers and toes went down about 50%. The bad part was that my stomach was upset most of the time. I was dead dog tired all of the time. I would get up, eat breakfast and need to lay back down. Otezla neutralized the flow max I am taking for my prostate. I had headaches every day or two. It was not a good experience for me. "

Bill 1940 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

"Ortezla made me so very sick. I give this drug all thumbs down. Almost ended up in the hospital. It has very bad side effects, some not even listed"

Lola7 November 7, 2015

"I've been taking Otezla for over 6 months now. Works great, joint pain is greatly reduced and the side effects have been very minimal."

John534 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2015

"My rheumatologist gave me 2 sample packs of Otezla, and by the time I finished the first pack, I could see a major difference in my skin plaques. They had all but disappeared. When I completed the second pack, they were gone, and the pain in my joints, especially my fingers, was improving. To me, this is a miracle drug. I type for a living, and my fingers were becoming so stiff, I thought I was going to have to quit my job. No flakes from my scalp, no plaques on the back of my legs, upper arms, or anywhere else they normally appeared. I haven't lost any weight so far. It's terribly expensive, but my rheumatologist gave me a 0 co-pay card with the samples, and I got on the program with Otezla with just one phone call for a year."

Finally something that works October 14, 2015

"After about a month and a half, with both psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis, I don't think Otezla has helped either condition for me. Side effects have been minimal; very mild diarrhea and some limited loose stools. Joints seem the same to slightly worse, patches seem the same. After the fight I had to put up for insurance approval,.....the results are a huge disappointment thus far. Will continue to four months. This is my very first, non-topical, med."

JustMe101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2015

"I was diagnosed with PA in 2005..was on MTX Enbrel Humira...in 2011 I was taken off the Enbrel because I developed Basel Cell Carcinoma and was told that the BC was from the suppression of my immune system. Now the PA came back with a vengeance in July 2015 I went to my Rheum and she told me of Otezla and started me on sample packs. She said it does not suppress the immune system so of course I was so happy. Still as of today I am not approved by my ins co...they say I need to try Enbrel Humira and Stellara!!!! My Dr is running out of sample pacs and I am livid now because I just got off the phone with Ins Supervisor and she said Otezla does suppress the immune system and I should be trying the other "Preferred Drugs"...HELLO???? HELP"

Fifergirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2015

"This was the hardest drug to get and be approved. I was doing the bridge pack and kept having to call the doctors to get them to keep trying with insurance. Then I had to keep calling otezla to keep it coming to my house. I never felt fully better. Maybe just a tiny bit but definitely not worth all the hassle. I ended up just quitting since I couldn't get it here on time and it kept lapsing my treatment."

mellymelz August 15, 2015