User Reviews for Anastrozole

Also known as: Arimidex

Learn more about Anastrozole.

Anastrozole Review Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Anastrozole to treat Breast Cancer

"After 18 years, bc returned on my scar. The guidelines at the time was no chemo or rads for non invasive carcinoma. I had 4 chemo and 21 rads. I have been 9n anastrazole for 3 years. My oncologist only had smpathy. I went to Nutrition Dept which was proven a God Send. After 2 weeks on Cod Liver Oil, Coconut Oil, Glucosamine, Vitamins D3, Vitamin B12, I no longer walk bent over, moan after climbing 5 stairs, have a.m. muscle pains. I can walk erect, bend over, out walk my husband and write as l9ng as I wish. Give it a try girl it works!"

gypsy scarlett June 21, 2015

"I started anastrozole one year ago. At first I didnt notice any side effects. Now for the past three or four months Ive experienced gradual increase in my joints. My hip joints, knee and hands, give me a lot of pain. I also have stiff hands when I wake up each morning, trigger fingers and thumb, it gradually gets better as the day goes on. Other side effects I have experienced is hair thinning, anxiety, insomnia, thinning nails, chronic diarrhea, thinning of the lower walls of my vagina causing a bladder prolapse and dry mouth. I have stopped taking the product and called my oncologist. He suggested Aromasin but after reading about the side effects of that it seems like I am going from the frying pan into the fire."

Meriaasong (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2015

"I started anastrozole one year ago in June 2014 after a double mastectomy. I did not need chemo or radiation as I caught the cancer early and my Oncotype DX score was very low. The first 3 months I didn't notice any side effects. But then I gained(so far) 10 lbs. and I am very active and work out 5 days a week with weights and cardio(I am 60 yrs. old now) My hips, lower back especially left side and knees hurt allot and my knees feel weak. It makes it very difficult to get up off the floor. Also both thumb joints hurt all the time. No hair loss or nail issues but some hot flashes. I wonder if it will get worse-still have 4 years left."

Surfergirl55 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2015

"Coming up on my 5 year anniversary so anastrozole evidently works. However, after my last bone density test I find that my bones have thinned significantly and now have osteoporosis. Have had other side effects, hot flashes, insomnia, joint pain, weight gain, thinning nails & hair but didn't attribute anything other than hot flashes to the anastrozole. To prevent cancer I can live with most of those but if I had known how fast my bones were thinning I don't know if I would have stayed with it."

BJ #2 April 17, 2015

"Began anastrozole regiment Jan. 2015 and by Mar. could no longer tolerate due to muscle pain, bone pain, pain in right foot, numbness in hands, feet, legs and arms, severe back pain, swelling of hands and feet, shortness of breath, extreme hot flashes, hair breakage, joint pain and weight gain. The side effects became debilitating, I could barely walk. I will be requesting a change in the medication."

Lostbenefits April 7, 2015

"Have been on various chemos since 2007 for metastatic breast cancer and just this yr was switched from Doxil to anastrozole for roughly 5 months. Was diagnosed with 2 blood clots in my right Calf. 12/22/14 Wondering if anastrozole caused them. "

lazy mary January 2, 2015

"I started on tamoxifen, 2- 3/4 years ago. I was a mess. Some of it could have been just the dealing with the actual "cancer", working as usual and going to radiation daily for 7 wks. However, I was also going through menopause and teaching about 100 kids/day, in elem. art. I was very emotional and had a lot of high anxiety. My oncologist was thinking about taking me off it, because my quality of life wasn't so good. I finally reached the post-menopausal stage and he switched me to anastrozole. I've been on it for about a year, maybe a little longer. I do have some memory problems. I took up tai chi 4 months ago and feel much better, mentally. My last visit to the oncologist, all my vitals had improved immensely! I credit tai chi for it!"

Salitta (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2014

"Have been on this medicine since February following a lumpectomy. After reading the other posts I now realize the stiffness and soreness in my hands might be s side effect. Happens every morning. Also have severe flushing and sweating which is new with me. The worst is the swelling in my feet and legs..severe at times. I am now aware all of the above started after February. I will discuss it with my oncologist. Very thankful for this forum."

nynyer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2014

Arimidex (anastrozole): "Recurrence of HER2 cancer. Hip and hand problems. Horrible insomnia and memory issued. But does help hold the cancer back."

SusanMorris64 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2014

"I am new at taking anastrozle (30 days). For the past week or so I found it impossible to get up and around for work because I was so sleepy. I think it has increased my lower back pain and it has been hard getting up from bed due to pain and stiffness. My oncologist advised me to quit today until we can discuss alternatives. I am 59 and had a partial mastectomy and radiation."

Kim in Madison September 10, 2014

Arimidex (anastrozole): "Taking this after care of breast cancer! Hasn't caused any problems at all and almost done taking it! Evidently it's great in the help of my breast cancer."

Sugarbee333333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2014

"I have been taking anastrazole 1 mg daily since 2/2011 for the treatment of breast cancer. I have not received chemotherapy or radiation. This is truly a dreadful disease that imposes a life sentence on you. I too can attest to some very uncomfortable side effects but, I also accept that there is really no medicine which is side effect free. I feel stiff most of the time, my muscles ache and I am weary. For the most part I walk very slow and has problems ascending the stairs. My migraines had subsided as I age but they have started to hit me up again. Nevertheless, I am truly grateful to this medicine and intend to take it for the duration. I am glad it has assisted in the arrest of the disease. I am 60 years old."

gratefulgal April 14, 2014

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I've been on Arimidex for 10 weeks. Although I had arthritis prior to taking Arimidex, my joint discomfort has increased substantially and now I find that my joints (especially my hands and hips) are swollen and always painful. My fingernails have thinned and continually split and tear off, often below the quick (ouch!). I'm also disheartened to notice that my eyebrows and eyelashes, which had just grown back after my last chemo session, have started to either break or fall out again. Bone and muscle pain are always with me now."

WV lady April 10, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I took Arimidex for 5 years and only recently stopped. I had quite a few side effects, however, the joint pain and stiffness was the hardest. I heard about something called Ubiquinol, which is apparently something that is naturally produced in your body, but slows down quite a bit as you age. I've been taking it daily now for a few months and I have to say, the stiffness and joint pain has mostly subsided. I say mostly because I forget to take it some days. I'm trying to get better about taking it daily with a multivitamin. It's kind of expensive but it's way cheaper and better than any of the medicine alternatives I was offered by my doctors. I don't like taking medicine for every little thing. Plus there's a hundred side effects to worry about."

Frenchgirl52 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I took it for 5 yrs. and 2 months. I cannot say if the changes were from chemo or from Arimidex. Changes in taste and smell persist. Frontal headache, blurred vision, cough, calcium loss - osteopenia. Stiff joints, long bone pain, sciatica pain of right leg, fatigue, wicked insomnia, hot flushes & flashes. Neuropathy in hands and feet, specially balls of feet and very sensitive tips of toes. Very dry skin, aged face, hair is very thin and breaking easily. Never got back full eyebrows, very SAD! I loved my eyebrows."

Lealmck (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Prescribed after Lumpectomy for breast cancer and taking this medication for 1 year, I've experienced extreme panic attacks, anxiety that often prevents me from wanting to leave the house, and insomnia. My symptoms were so severe, I could not function at work and took early retirement. I have discussed these side effects with my oncologist; his concern was more with flushing side effects than anxiety. I have 4 more years of taking this medication and honestly don't know if I'll be able to keep it up. I find myself having extremely blue feelings and without taking anti anxiety meds I truly would not be able to function as all."

Tinkerwoman (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 11, 2014

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I've been on Arimidex for 4 years. Side effects are insomnia, joint pain, painful sex or no interest in sex, forgetfulness, anxiety and depression. One year to go and hopefully I will not have to take it. Maybe still on it because of a family history of breast cancer."

Jacklink (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Anastrozole for 1 and half years now for breast cancer. I have been having problems with my hands, stiffness of legs, short of breath, insomnia, thinning hair, weight gain and really bad hot flashes. I am going to ask my doctor about my chances of returning breast cancer if I stop taking this or try something else."

emajean August 1, 2013

Arimidex (anastrozole): "Took tamoxifen 9 months. Extreme bruising. Switched to Arimidex. After 4 weeks, extreme pain in hand. Next severe headaches. Each month brought increased pain in thumbs, hand, feet, long leg bones. Joints hurt, wrists weaken every month. After 10 months became depressed and had insomnia. Finally, had enough and stopped. Within, 2 weeks long bone pain went away. I still have some knee pain, trigger finger, and wrist weakness and its been 3 months. Doctor switching to Aromasin next month."

sissyy June 19, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I started taking the medication in March 2013 after chemo on the fall of 2012 and then radiation in Jan-Feb of 2013. I am experiencing joint and muscle pain. But as a migraine sufferer, it's a walk in the park. Whatever works to cure this cancer, I'm up for everything and anything."

Roxanne&Philo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2013

Arimidex (anastrozole): "Been taking Arimidex for nearly 6 years now. Side effects for me are joint & bone pain, weird feeling in my chest that wakes me up. Weight gain, hair thinning & occasional hot flushes. I take calcium tabs and alendronic acid for my bones. Apart from that I'm grateful to be alive."

annie K May 30, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Some numbness in fingers especially in morning. A sensation of throat tightness. I think some ankle and hip joint pain occasionally. I guess it is working no reoccurence yet."

LPM33 May 13, 2013

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I have had the hot flashes, and the weight gain. Not much of the other side effects so far. Not willing to keep gaining the weight, talked to my oncologist but he says the weight gain is not from the Arimidex. I know better, I have always been very very careful with my weight and going on this medication is the only time I have had the weight gain. I stopped it for 5 weeks and lost, went back on the Arimidex and the weight came back. I work out 5 to 7 days a week so I am very active. "

Oregon 2013 March 20, 2013

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Anastrozole since August/2012 and things had been going pretty well. It is now the end of February and I now have high blood pressure, shortness of breath, hand pain especially at night and in the morning when I can barely hold a comb to my hair. Also, I feel "pins and needles" in both hands. I am confused as to why the side effects are occuring now. At least I feel better knowing that others are going through the same thing."

macats (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2013

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I took Arimidex for 5 years and I've been cancer free for over 6 years now."

pttyglnd February 1, 2013

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Breast Cancer