User Reviews for Anastrozole

Also known as: Arimidex

Learn more about Anastrozole.

Anastrozole review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Anastrozole to treat Breast Cancer

Review by Sugarbee333333 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): Taking this after care of breast cancer! Hasn't caused any problems at all and almost done taking it! Evidently it's great in the help of my breast cancer.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by gratefulgal:

I have been taking anastrazole 1 mg daily since 2/2011 for the treatment of breast cancer. I have not received chemotherapy or radiation. This is truly a dreadful disease that imposes a life sentence on you. I too can attest to some very uncomfortable side effects but, I also accept that there is really no medicine which is side effect free. I feel stiff most of the time, my muscles ache and I am weary. For the most part I walk very slow and has problems ascending the stairs. My migraines had subsided as I age but they have started to hit me up again. Nevertheless, I am truly grateful to this medicine and intend to take it for the duration. I am glad it has assisted in the arrest of the disease. I am 60 years old.

April 14, 2014 9:19 AM

Review by WV lady:

Arimidex (anastrozole): I've been on Arimidex for 10 weeks. Although I had arthritis prior to taking Arimidex, my joint discomfort has increased substantially and now I find that my joints (especially my hands and hips) are swollen and always painful. My fingernails have thinned and continually split and tear off, often below the quick (ouch!). I'm also disheartened to notice that my eyebrows and eyelashes, which had just grown back after my last chemo session, have started to either break or fall out again. Bone and muscle pain are always with me now.

April 10, 2014 12:33 PM

Review by Frenchgirl52 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I took Arimidex for 5 years and only recently stopped. I had quite a few side effects, however, the joint pain and stiffness was the hardest. I heard about something called Ubiquinol, which is apparently something that is naturally produced in your body, but slows down quite a bit as you age. I've been taking it daily now for a few months and I have to say, the stiffness and joint pain has mostly subsided. I say mostly because I forget to take it some days. I'm trying to get better about taking it daily with a multivitamin. It's kind of expensive but it's way cheaper and better than any of the medicine alternatives I was offered by my doctors. I don't like taking medicine for every little thing. Plus there's a hundred side effects to worry about.

March 5, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by Lealmck (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I took it for 5 yrs. and 2 months. I cannot say if the changes were from chemo or from Arimidex. Changes in taste and smell persist. Frontal headache, blurred vision, cough, calcium loss - osteopenia. Stiff joints, long bone pain, sciatica pain of right leg, fatigue, wicked insomnia, hot flushes & flashes. Neuropathy in hands and feet, specially balls of feet and very sensitive tips of toes. Very dry skin, aged face, hair is very thin and breaking easily. Never got back full eyebrows, very SAD! I loved my eyebrows.

February 26, 2014 4:15 PM

Review by Tinkerwoman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prescribed after Lumpectomy for breast cancer and taking this medication for 1 year, I've experienced extreme panic attacks, anxiety that often prevents me from wanting to leave the house, and insomnia. My symptoms were so severe, I could not function at work and took early retirement. I have discussed these side effects with my oncologist; his concern was more with flushing side effects than anxiety. I have 4 more years of taking this medication and honestly don't know if I'll be able to keep it up. I find myself having extremely blue feelings and without taking anti anxiety meds I truly would not be able to function as all.

January 11, 2014 4:52 PM

Review by Jacklink (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I've been on Arimidex for 4 years. Side effects are insomnia, joint pain, painful sex or no interest in sex, forgetfulness, anxiety and depression. One year to go and hopefully I will not have to take it. Maybe still on it because of a family history of breast cancer.

October 5, 2013 8:30 PM

Review by emajean:

I have been taking Anastrozole for 1 and half years now for breast cancer. I have been having problems with my hands, stiffness of legs, short of breath, insomnia, thinning hair, weight gain and really bad hot flashes. I am going to ask my doctor about my chances of returning breast cancer if I stop taking this or try something else.

August 1, 2013 12:54 AM

Review by sissyy:

Arimidex (anastrozole): Took tamoxifen 9 months. Extreme bruising. Switched to Arimidex. After 4 weeks, extreme pain in hand. Next severe headaches. Each month brought increased pain in thumbs, hand, feet, long leg bones. Joints hurt, wrists weaken every month. After 10 months became depressed and had insomnia. Finally, had enough and stopped. Within, 2 weeks long bone pain went away. I still have some knee pain, trigger finger, and wrist weakness and its been 3 months. Doctor switching to Aromasin next month.

June 19, 2013 12:10 AM

Review by Roxanne&Philo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I started taking the medication in March 2013 after chemo on the fall of 2012 and then radiation in Jan-Feb of 2013. I am experiencing joint and muscle pain. But as a migraine sufferer, it's a walk in the park. Whatever works to cure this cancer, I'm up for everything and anything.

June 7, 2013 1:43 PM

Review by annie K:

Arimidex (anastrozole): Been taking Arimidex for nearly 6 years now. Side effects for me are joint & bone pain, weird feeling in my chest that wakes me up. Weight gain, hair thinning & occasional hot flushes. I take calcium tabs and alendronic acid for my bones. Apart from that I'm grateful to be alive.

May 30, 2013 9:44 AM

Review by LPM33:

Some numbness in fingers especially in morning. A sensation of throat tightness. I think some ankle and hip joint pain occasionally. I guess it is working no reoccurence yet.

May 13, 2013 6:38 PM

Review by Oregon 2013:

Arimidex (anastrozole): I have had the hot flashes, and the weight gain. Not much of the other side effects so far. Not willing to keep gaining the weight, talked to my oncologist but he says the weight gain is not from the Arimidex. I know better, I have always been very very careful with my weight and going on this medication is the only time I have had the weight gain. I stopped it for 5 weeks and lost, went back on the Arimidex and the weight came back. I work out 5 to 7 days a week so I am very active.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2013 7:19 PM

Review by macats (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Anastrozole since August/2012 and things had been going pretty well. It is now the end of February and I now have high blood pressure, shortness of breath, hand pain especially at night and in the morning when I can barely hold a comb to my hair. Also, I feel "pins and needles" in both hands. I am confused as to why the side effects are occuring now. At least I feel better knowing that others are going through the same thing.

February 24, 2013 4:43 PM

Review by pttyglnd:

Arimidex (anastrozole): I took Arimidex for 5 years and I've been cancer free for over 6 years now.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2013 3:12 PM

Review by McD333:

Arimidex (anastrozole): Started taking Arimidex in June and have lost 45lbs. Vomiting and diarrhea have left me homebound. I keep starting and stopping this pill. Oncologist thinks I'm crazy, but when I stop the pill the vomiting and diarrhea stop. Just stopped taking it before Christmas and I'm feeling so much better. Have had two lumpectomies and a mastectomy. Don't want the cancer to return, but the side effects are too much for me.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2013 5:31 PM

Arimidex (anastrozole): I've been on Arimidex 4 years and 1 month, prior to which I took Tamoxifen for 5 months. During the first year I developed a frozen shoulder, which my oncologist said could be due to the Armidex, extreme joint stiffness which gradually subsidized and ended after 9-12 months, intense hot flashes which as of this year are lessening, insomnia, vision issues (detached retina - but am also very myopic), pronounced facial aging, dry skin (am 57 years old) and thinning hair. I also experienced depression and mood swings beginning 3 months after the start of Arimidex. I never took medication for it but am finding that it has also gradually lessened over the last 1 1/2 yrs.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2012 6:21 PM

Arimidex (anastrozole): 7 months in severe hand pain wakes me up at night. Hands weakening grip ibuprofen doesn't help using phone and computer mouse horrible. Just switched to Aromasin.

September 25, 2012 1:01 AM

Review by Trick NOT Treat (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I have been on Arimidex for 4 years 4 months. I have had the hot flashes, vision issues, bone density weakening, joint pain and stiffness, depression, mood changes, insomnia, back and bone pain, thinning nails (of already thin nails), weakness in hands and now, my hair in breaking off and drying out. My doctor wants me to hold on to the end of the 5 years. Not sure I can.

September 24, 2012 4:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was on Tamoxifen for 3 years until I had to have a hysterectomy and then my doctor switched me to Anastrozole. I only have 3 more months to go and I am marking the days off on my calendar. I have gained 30 pounds, my grip strength is gone. My hands and feet tingle often during the day. My joints hurt all the time. I can't begin to tell you how my lower back feels. If I sit for too long my joints get stiff and it's hard for me to get going. I will stick it out.

August 26, 2012 8:24 PM

Arimidex (anastrozole): I have been on Arimidex for 5 years. No pain or problems, and with a vitamin D supplement, I have been feeling great! Didn't have any problems until I started the generic form.

July 3, 2012 9:17 PM

Review by BUFFYCAT:

I have been taking anastrozole for almost 5 years this is my last 3 weeks. I have had side effects such as mild aches and pains, hair thinning, arthritis which I am not sure is due to the medicine but it did come on very soon after starting it. Serious lack of concentration and confused at times and in the last few months tingling in my left hand which is now in the wrist. I did feel extremely tired for the first year or so but it hasn't been all bad although I will be pleased to take the last one at the end of April 2012.

April 10, 2012 8:56 AM

I have been on this medication for 4 months and have gained 20 lbs. I have terrible hot flashes and am tired all the time. I have not experienced joint pain as others have, but the weight gain is very uncomfortable. I am having a double mastectomy in 2 months and hope I don't have to take this afterwards.

February 22, 2012 4:41 PM

Review by kennybuck:

Arimidex (anastrozole): I have been on Arimidex for just over a year and have experience basically no side effects. The only issue I have is my left hand and fingers tingle occasionally at night - enough to waken me, however, the doctor thinks it has more to do with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome - which I never had before. I am going to be 70 years old soon, am in excellent health and shape as I work with a personal trainer. Life is Good!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 2:12 PM

Arimidex (anastrozole): I started taking Arimidex about 4 - 5 months ago as a breast cancer patient. I'm supposed to take it for 5 years. The side-effects I've experienced are: insomnia, hot flashes, headaches, weight gain, joint pain, and severe loss of grip in both hands. My hands are stiff in the morning and evening, it's just crazy. Well, even throughout the day. I asked my oncologist about this and he said it was arthritis, which I do NOT believe. The onset was too quick. It was about 6 weeks after I started taking the Arimidex then the hand stiffness showed up.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2012 6:46 PM