User Reviews for Adderall

Learn more about Adderall.

Adderall Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Adderall to treat Narcolepsy

"I'm a 52 yr. old male. I started taking Adderall about14 months ago. for the first 2 weeks I didn't notice much change then I noticed that when I took the medication in the morning suddenly I had a lot more energy and it seemed like I could concentrate better and not as agitated about life in general. I take me 2nd. dose at lunch time. The increase in my energy level was keeping me moving more during the day so it allowed me to rest better at night. Every morning when I wake I go straight for the Adderall. Overall I think Adderall has improved my quality of life and I think Adderall should be prescribed to the aged for the same effects. It's not going to work the same for all so close monitoring for 30 days on a 2per day 15mg.dose"

Thoughtfrullnessary May 10, 2015

"I have narcolepsy and I take 20mg three times per day of quick release tabs. Mornings are great but mid to late afternoon I tend to nap and then take my last dose after last nap. Adderall helps great for keeping me awake and alert."

Chrisbce April 30, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy 1990. They started me on Ritalin, which did not work for me. Then Dexedrine. It did work but caused a lot of tension in neck shoulder back in the evenings. Then Provigil, Nuvigil. I have settled on Adderall, it wakes me in the morning and keeps me awake in the afternoon. It's a God send."

we3reeds (taken for 10 years or more) February 13, 2015

"I gave Adderall an 8 out of 10 because it is very effective, anyone who is narcoleptic (which is why I use this medicine) will stay awake completely. Depending on the dosage you can stay awake anywhere from 5 hours to even more than 12. The down side to this medicine, and let me be clear that it is just with my experience is that it can make you jittery and excited. It also gave me "false confidence" and just overall made me more outgoing than I usually. Also I found that the first time I used it it gave me quite a high, which I eventually got used to. After several days I started hallucinating things and got paranoid. There are definitely some psychological side effects even more than the ones that I've experienced. "

Seigfred (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2014

"I thought Nuvigil was good, but Adderall is amazing. It helps me feel almost human, again. Not only does Adderall keep me awake, but it clears up some of the mental fog caused by Narcolepsy. Cataplexy is also not as severe when I'm on Adderall. I can finally focus at work, I have enough energy to take care of myself and my family, and I'm doing so well at work that I got two raises in the last 3 months! The irony is that you have to be well-rested for it to work; otherwise, it does absolutely nothing. I have also started devoloping a tolerance so it starts to wear off after about 3-4 hours, but I take another dose and it gets me through the rest of the day."

WhiteBirch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2014

"Worked very well but only downfall some days made me super anxious and jittery. Overall cant wait to get back on it for some energy."

copeyswife (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2014

"Does not work well for me."

Anonymous July 7, 2014

"Insurance didn't cover the Extended Release (XR) form, so I was taking multiple regular Adderall pills a day. It was pretty obvious that they worked, but over time, I developed a tolerance that made me need to take one every 2-3 hours, rather than the standard 4-6. Only side effect was feet so cold, they tingled."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2014

"It makes a huge difference in my day! I hate having to take something everyday to stay awake and alert but better then living in the fog I was in the past 8 years of my life (6 of which I didn't even notice they were side effects of something bigger haha.) Things you may notice while taking Adderall with narcolepsy, 1.You are stop being a shut in 2. You actually start calling your friends to do something instead of getting harassed till you finally cave and do something. 3. You're better at work and all of a sudden care about your job. 4. You are grinding your jaw. 5. Stop grinding your jaw. and finally 6. Work with your doctor for the right dosage! There will be a bit of dancing between cracked out and half asleep till you find it."

AwakeWill April 14, 2014

"In school I could not focus and went through bad moments that I will never forget. Writing this I can still picture all of those who made disgusting gestures because I would leave group projects 1/2 way. Through high school I was in the verge of failing, although, my commitment and dedication to reach the dream of going to college, kept me strong."

Joseg123 November 17, 2013

"I've been on adderall for six months for narcolepsy. It has given me a life back. It has helped my severe daytime sleepiness by about 80 %. There are times if I'm really really tired that I can tell the med doesnt help. But mostly it is excellent. The only thing I don't like about it is the crash after the med wears off. I can tell a huge difference. And it is also disappointing that I have to take meds to stay awake each day. But overall, I would say I'm very thankful for it."

Biote (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2013

"I just started Adderall 10 mg for a new diagnosis of narcolepsy. This is the first time I have ever stayed awake through a movie, and been able to sit and read without nodding off. I am still my normal, calm self. But I just do not have the compulsion to sleep. Very helpful."

AleeD (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2013

"For 5 years I suffered from hypothyroidism which turned out to be Hashimotos. Which I take thyroid (natural thyroid medication). Once my thyroid was under control myself and doctor were confused on why I was so tired. I would have seizures when I was completely exhausted. Very scary! They thought I had panic attacks but not so! The seizures were all part narcolepsy which apparently can mask under hypothyroidism. I now take 30mg of Adderall XR a day. It is not enough but just really happy I can get through the day without feeling like someone has given me a bottle of sleeping pills. Adderall is my wonder pill and no side effects."

Kld (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 22, 2013

"Adderall in my opinion is a "Miracle"! I am prescribed the (IR) 30mg strength, three times a day. Adderall I feel has significantly improved my quality of life."

Heff84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2013

"I could not get out of bed without Adderall. I have been taking it since 2000. However, I developed a severe spinal disease, fibro, and arthritis. I had to give in to taking pain meds which interfered with my Adderall dosage. I currently take 40mg. I have found this dose ineffective for the past several years. My family doctor prescribes my meds and doesn't feel comfortable titrating up to 60mg. I weigh 335mg as well. I am frustrated and feel exhausted most of the day."

driftwoodms14 (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2013

"I am a 69 year old female who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since I was in my 30's. The CFS came long after the FMS but Adderall 20 mg 3 x's daily has made my life bearable, enabled me to stay awake, boosted my energy (I also have Hashimoto's disease - hypothyroid) and has provided me with a feeling of normalcy. I see my doctor every 3 months for blood work and medical care. Got a new script today but insurance wants a pre-authorization which will take 3-4 days and I am out of this medication. Guess it will be a sleepy weekend coming up! Adderall rocks!"

artmuffin (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2012

"I fall asleep at the drop of a hat and experience sleep paralysis. There are times I know I'm supposed to be awake and I simply can't wake up. Adderall helps so much. I've taken it for about a year, however, and it is wearing off. I hope to find a substitute that will help me stay awake soon."

Katie126 April 10, 2012

"My life was sleep before I started adderall taking 15 mg twice a day and I'm still tired but not sleeping like I was before. Only been taking it for a few days but has helped a lot. I only slept and worked and sadly that was my life for 5 years."

Anonymous March 30, 2012

"Lots of side effects - Keeps me awake when taking 50mg a day - makes it hard to go to sleep at night, involuntary muscle movement at times, kills the sex life."

Anonymous November 30, 2011

"I was diagnosed with narcolepsy 3 years ago. I would fall asleep while driving or even standing and talking to someone. Thanks to Adderall my life is almost normal again."

scottf6904 November 6, 2009

"I have been on Adderall (60 mg) for 16 months (I am 21 years old). I was sleeping 16-20 hrs a day and when awake I was lethargic and had a compulsion sleep. I also have severe chronic pain, refractory depression, and panic disorder. So with so many problems I could hardly do a thing. Adderall was ideal because it helped treat my narcolepsy, it reduced the sedation from the opioids I take, it actually treats pain when added to opioids, it helped my depression which did not respond to over 40 drugs, and feeling better I stared to conquer my agoraphobia. It can't say it is a "cure" because I still struggle. I can still fall asleep, even when talking to a friend. Only problem was a little bruxism when I started and when the dose went up."

raraider October 4, 2009

"This may be a little long so I hope you took your medicines today, LOL. this is my 3rd month on Adderall and it is absolutely a miracle drug for me. I have suffered with extreme fatigue and excessive sleepiness since I was a teenager, I'm 38 now. My doctors have tried me on everything from sleeping pills, to antidepressants, nothing worked. A friend suggested Adderall, I researched it, talked to my doctor about it and we tried Provigil first, which did help, but I was still falling asleep driving, reading, etc. Switched to Adderall. I was so happy I nearly cried when I was telling my doctor how much better I feel. I wish I would have tried this years ago."

won2bfree July 27, 2009

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"For Narcolepsy adderall greatly improves daytime sleepiness."

bettydwood August 5, 2008

"I love adderall, it's the best. It gives great energy, and doesn't let you get tired. Also, you don't feel the urge to eat everything when you are sad. "

Anonymous July 30, 2008

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Aderrall has really helped me stay alert and concentrate, as I have chronic pain issues which leave me sleepy and unfocused. I have the energy to enjoy life again. I do have difficulty sleeping, and also since I do not take XR can "crush" it if I forget my second dose. I have noticed it makes me most irritable and difficult to be around. This side effect seems to have waned over time, but I am still occasionally cranky when it wears off."

Anonymous June 27, 2008

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Narcolepsy