User Reviews for Augmentin

Learn more about Augmentin.

Augmentin review summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 881 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Augmentin to treat Bacterial Infection

Review by dkhutton (taken for less than 1 month):

After taking my second Augmentin pill I had horrible nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration.

June 22, 2013 8:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a really bad fever and swollen tonsils and this medicine did make all the symptoms go away but after about three days of taking it I now feel sick from the constant diarrhea and nausea.

October 3, 2012 12:05 AM

Review by Cool Mamaw:

Medicine worked great re: double infections; couple days I could feel difference. HOWEVER, side effects were terrible; still around after completing 10-day treatment. Even with daily probiotics and yogurt the digestive/intestinal issues were bad, constant trips to bathroom; eating would immediately create "stomach talk"; could not leave house; had to cancel family trip as travel would have been difficult. Lethargic, weak, blurry vision, exhausted; with all of this it really affected my mentality. FYI: On the 2nd day when side effects began, I spoke with my pharmacist who encouraged me to stay on it if I could endure these "common" side effects, none being allergic. It has worked but still healing from side effects.

September 21, 2012 2:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Took Augmentin for one day and had skin reaction, very red and itchy, not pleasent at all.

July 16, 2012 1:04 PM

Had an allergic reaction - facial swelling, lips and nose.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2012 2:44 PM

The doctor gave it to me for a chronic case of strep throat. It worked ok just gave me bad headaches and made me nauseous.

February 19, 2012 7:39 PM

Review by Chri$G:

Have bad stomach aches and nausea with this, but also it way better than others that I took for diverticulitis. Makes me jittery and have nervous stomach.

May 27, 2011 5:35 PM

Four hours after taking one 875 mg pill I had severe diarrhea and nausea.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2011 9:31 AM

Took Augmentin for a bacterial infection. The infection cleared up, but the day I took my last dose, I broke out in severe hives. I was out of town so did not see my doctor. Took Benadryl every 6 hours for 4 days before the hives subsided. The hives covered everywhere from my face to my feet. Although it cleared up my infection, I would not want to face that side effect again. Never had any allergies to antibiotics before.

November 7, 2009 9:29 PM

I had an infection caused by cat bites & scratches on my hand (my cat got caught in a vine by his tail and was in a complete panic; I freed him from the vine, however, during that process he latched onto my hand and bit and scratched - he is ok, thank goodness). I was prescribed this medication; it took time, yet it did work to eliminate the infection. The side-effects of 2 pills/day of 875mg each (total/day = 1,750mg) for 10 days had a strong effect on me. I did not follow-up with the hospital, which I should have done. I would emphasize that if anyone is to take that amount of this medication, to consult with their doctor when side effects are seen.

September 11, 2009 3:42 AM

Review by jmont60:

Gave me awful stomach pain and nausea after just one dose.

May 19, 2009 4:39 PM

Review by Blancabell:

I have chronic upper respiratory infections - this works much better for me than the newer antibiotics.

February 16, 2009 10:53 AM

My son had over half of the severe reactions to this medicine. He was prescribed this medicine for an ear infection. We spent a whole day in the doctors office being tested for everything from cancer and blood disorders to simple viruses. Thankfully, we found out it was just a reaction to augmentin. Our oldest son has had augmentin before without any reaction what-so-ever.

February 13, 2009 4:48 PM

Works well. Watch for diaper rash (yeast type) in infants. Apply cream to diaper area liberally at every diaper change and give probiotics.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2008 9:21 AM

Had a bad sinus infection that went into my lungs, but after 3 days on Augmentin, I started to feel much better. The only drawback for me is the nausea and mild diarrhea.

October 16, 2008 12:21 PM

Review by mitcore:

Works well on me and my children. I have found it works in a few days. I have used it for chest infections and middle ear, and had great results with all my family.

June 5, 2008 4:15 AM