User Reviews for Norvasc

Learn more about Norvasc.

Norvasc Review Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Norvasc to treat High Blood Pressure

"Norvasc caused extreme leg and ankle edema and did not improve hypertension much. After 6 weeks of use I was put on lisinopril and within 2 days had no more leg swelling and blood pressure lowered greatly. So far so good on new medication."

Mcna (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

"I've only been on Norvasc for a week and so far the only side effect is difficulty falling asleep and waking up periodically through the night. I know its the Norvasc since I work a very early shift and am generally exhausted by the time its ready for bed. If it continues I'll look into switching medications. However the first blood pressure medication I was on has a worse side effect. Uncontrollable coughing. I had to stop taking it after about a month."

PTBadman December 26, 2014

"Very bad acid reflux and anxiety."

pipper1956 November 6, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Going on three years of taking this medicine. Blood pressure is normal 118/66. Usually 118/70 sometimes 99/55."

tmichelle January 25, 2014

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm 32 years old and at first Amlodopine made me feel depressed, dizzy and anxious. Now I am used to this medication. I have so much energy. Before this medication I was on the verge of a heart attack and stroke. My blood pressure is 110/70."

TMichelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2013

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Keeps my blood pressure down. I have been taking it for 5 months, I now have muscle cramps, and have a problem sleeping. I am going to try a new medicine, I can't take the severe cramping in my body."

Sanricka December 10, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"With the DASH diet and exercise my BP was still high and the doctor increased my daily 5mg of Norvasc to 10mg. It helps decrease my usual 170/104 to approx 150/70 but only for a few hours. I am fatigued, headaches and super cold feet and hands constantly. I also have muscle cramps. I feel as if I had a heart attack a few days ago but my doctor says its gastritis. The side effects are worse than hypertension itself! Maybe I need a new medicine and/or a new physician. Good health to you!"

11Gs February 28, 2013

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 27 years old and I had blood pressure of 150/100, around the high range for a few days at the very least but within 2 hours of taking Norvasc 5g my BP dropped to around 128/86. I have just taken this once in my life."

Sky24 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started on Norvasc about 1 wk ago and my bld pressure has gone from 180-200/100 to 120 /75, my heart rate has increased which is ok because I was on Bystolic for a short time and my heart rate dropped into the 40's. "

Anonymous October 16, 2012

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"No side effects. Blood pressure fairly well controlled on 5 mg of this only."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2012

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Within a few days of starting this medicine, I became very aware of my heart beat and my heart seemed to be racing. I attended a pre-operative assessment where I was given a routine ECG and this confirmed that I had become tachycardic while taking amlodipine. My pulse was racing at over 100 BPM and my blood pressure actually went UP while I was taking this medicine. I had to discontinue use to stop the adverse effects."

JHBARCLAY (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2012

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"No side efects as of yet (taken for 4 weeks so far) only taken while on high doses of steroids (80mg daily but deceasing 10mg every 3 days. Keeping my BP in my normal range of 110/60."

Ers April 16, 2012

"I found it very effective to control high blood pressure."

Anonymous April 16, 2012

"Norvasc has lowered my blood pressure from 160/102 to about 110/80 on 10 mg. The side effects are debilitating for me. I have horrible chest pains and unable to do much without exhaustion. I have lost so much weight due to lack of appetite. Dr. does not want to take me off because I have difficulty finding anything that lowers my blood pressure. I am also on Atenolol."

Kikzy March 16, 2012

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Norvasc worked fantastic for about a year then I started experiencing muscle twitching and cramps that got worse and worse. I have been trying to switch to another medicine and haven't had much luck. I pray I can find a medicine as good as Norvasc. I can tell you that numerous blood tests have been run and while this medicine MAY cause cramps, my blood sugar, cholesterol, liver panel, metabolic panel, CBC, creatinine, etc. are all perfect! I have a lot of faith to the fact that this medicine will not harm you other than possibly muscle cramps or fluid retention. I experienced no fluid retention BUT I exercise."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used Norvasc for years for blood pressure control, until I had sudden onset of swollen ankles/lower legs. "

Anonymous February 20, 2012

"I was on Norvasc for 2 weeks. I felt dizzy, tired, cold, and got headaches every night. Switched medicines now, still trying to get it out of my system."

Anonymous January 23, 2012

"I have been taking this medicine now for 6 weeks and am experiencing tremendous flushing with it. So far it hasn't helped my blood pressure go down much. Doctor says give it a little while longer. One day I almost passed out, got light headed and felt like I was in another dimension! Doctor says he can't say for sure it was a side effect of this medicine. I will keep trying it for awhile longer."

Anonymous December 2, 2011

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Narvasc 5mg for about 4 months. It doesn't control my blood pressure for the 24 hours and my pulse constantly stays elevated. I have swelling in my feet and ankles and I'm tired all the time. I get flushing sensations and ringing in my ears sometimes. Also feel dizzy at times and have dry mouth. All these medications are horrible. We have no choice but to suffer if we take them or not take them. "

patsygirl November 29, 2011

"I have been taking Amlodipine (Norvasc) for about 2 months. Norvasc (Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg) did lower my blood pressure from 150's over 80's to 120's over 60's. That's great. Problem is with side effects every day. Intestinal cramps, diarrhea, gas. Begins about 5 hours after I take the pill. Stomach (intestines ?) roll constantly for about 3 hours. I am going to try splitting the pills in half and see if lower dosage stops the side effects. If not, I guess I'll go back to the doctor and try something else for blood pressure. It seems like all of these blood pressure pills have side effects of one kind or another."

Dann k November 8, 2011

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm 25 years old and I'm taking 10mg of Norvasc and 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide and at the moment I'm not liking either of the medicines. Between stuffy nose, sore throat, increased thirst, dry mouth, severely dry skin, blurred vision, it makes me feel like its worse than having high blood pressure. My side effects are symptoms of an allergic reaction so maybe someone else might have better luck than me."

live&love August 17, 2011

"I had sexual side effects from Norvasc and it only moderately controlled my hypertension."

Anonymous August 1, 2011

"After taking Norvasc 10mg for 3 months I found my feet ankles and hands were swelling up, also gained weight even though I walk every day. My Doctor has put me on Avapro and I will monitor it for the next 3 months. "

Anonymous April 11, 2011

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Norvasc for approximately 7 years. It works fine lowering my blood pressure however it began to swell my gums and I was taken off it."

Ron 59 December 13, 2010

"My blood pressure went up to 220/150 and I was placed on Norvasc 10mg and Diovan 80mg. Been on this for over a year now and my blood pressure is currently 120/80 and I have had no side effects other than swelling on the lower leg which steady brisk walking has handled. The combination worked very well for me."

Anonymous October 2, 2010