User Reviews for Norvasc

Learn more about Norvasc.

Norvasc review summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Norvasc to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by pipper1956:

Very bad acid reflux and anxiety.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 9:56 AM

Review by tmichelle:

Going on three years of taking this medicine. Blood pressure is normal 118/66. Usually 118/70 sometimes 99/55.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 11:25 PM

Review by TMichelle (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I'm 32 years old and at first Amlodopine made me feel depressed, dizzy and anxious. Now I am used to this medication. I have so much energy. Before this medication I was on the verge of a heart attack and stroke. My blood pressure is 110/70.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2013 11:30 PM

Review by Sanricka:

Keeps my blood pressure down. I have been taking it for 5 months, I now have muscle cramps, and have a problem sleeping. I am going to try a new medicine, I can't take the severe cramping in my body.

December 10, 2013 12:16 PM

Review by 11Gs:

With the DASH diet and exercise my BP was still high and the doctor increased my daily 5mg of Norvasc to 10mg. It helps decrease my usual 170/104 to approx 150/70 but only for a few hours. I am fatigued, headaches and super cold feet and hands constantly. I also have muscle cramps. I feel as if I had a heart attack a few days ago but my doctor says its gastritis. The side effects are worse than hypertension itself! Maybe I need a new medicine and/or a new physician. Good health to you!

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by Sky24 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 27 years old and I had blood pressure of 150/100, around the high range for a few days at the very least but within 2 hours of taking Norvasc 5g my BP dropped to around 128/86. I have just taken this once in my life.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2013 3:22 AM

Started on Norvasc about 1 wk ago and my bld pressure has gone from 180-200/100 to 120 /75, my heart rate has increased which is ok because I was on Bystolic for a short time and my heart rate dropped into the 40's.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2012 11:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

No side effects. Blood pressure fairly well controlled on 5 mg of this only.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2012 6:32 PM

Review by JHBARCLAY (taken for less than 1 month):

Within a few days of starting this medicine, I became very aware of my heart beat and my heart seemed to be racing. I attended a pre-operative assessment where I was given a routine ECG and this confirmed that I had become tachycardic while taking amlodipine. My pulse was racing at over 100 BPM and my blood pressure actually went UP while I was taking this medicine. I had to discontinue use to stop the adverse effects.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2012 1:30 PM

Review by Ers:

No side efects as of yet (taken for 4 weeks so far) only taken while on high doses of steroids (80mg daily but deceasing 10mg every 3 days. Keeping my BP in my normal range of 110/60.

April 16, 2012 1:41 PM

I found it very effective to control high blood pressure.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2012 4:58 AM

Review by Kikzy:

Norvasc has lowered my blood pressure from 160/102 to about 110/80 on 10 mg. The side effects are debilitating for me. I have horrible chest pains and unable to do much without exhaustion. I have lost so much weight due to lack of appetite. Dr. does not want to take me off because I have difficulty finding anything that lowers my blood pressure. I am also on Atenolol.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2012 5:22 PM

Norvasc worked fantastic for about a year then I started experiencing muscle twitching and cramps that got worse and worse. I have been trying to switch to another medicine and haven't had much luck. I pray I can find a medicine as good as Norvasc. I can tell you that numerous blood tests have been run and while this medicine MAY cause cramps, my blood sugar, cholesterol, liver panel, metabolic panel, CBC, creatinine, etc. are all perfect! I have a lot of faith to the fact that this medicine will not harm you other than possibly muscle cramps or fluid retention. I experienced no fluid retention BUT I exercise.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2012 12:29 AM

I used Norvasc for years for blood pressure control, until I had sudden onset of swollen ankles/lower legs.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2012 3:41 PM

I was on Norvasc for 2 weeks. I felt dizzy, tired, cold, and got headaches every night. Switched medicines now, still trying to get it out of my system.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2012 10:57 PM

I have been taking this medicine now for 6 weeks and am experiencing tremendous flushing with it. So far it hasn't helped my blood pressure go down much. Doctor says give it a little while longer. One day I almost passed out, got light headed and felt like I was in another dimension! Doctor says he can't say for sure it was a side effect of this medicine. I will keep trying it for awhile longer.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2011 8:17 PM

Review by patsygirl:

I have been on Narvasc 5mg for about 4 months. It doesn't control my blood pressure for the 24 hours and my pulse constantly stays elevated. I have swelling in my feet and ankles and I'm tired all the time. I get flushing sensations and ringing in my ears sometimes. Also feel dizzy at times and have dry mouth. All these medications are horrible. We have no choice but to suffer if we take them or not take them.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2011 6:55 PM

Review by Dann k:

I have been taking Amlodipine (Norvasc) for about 2 months. Norvasc (Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg) did lower my blood pressure from 150's over 80's to 120's over 60's. That's great. Problem is with side effects every day. Intestinal cramps, diarrhea, gas. Begins about 5 hours after I take the pill. Stomach (intestines ?) roll constantly for about 3 hours. I am going to try splitting the pills in half and see if lower dosage stops the side effects. If not, I guess I'll go back to the doctor and try something else for blood pressure. It seems like all of these blood pressure pills have side effects of one kind or another.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2011 12:28 AM

Review by live&love:

I'm 25 years old and I'm taking 10mg of Norvasc and 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide and at the moment I'm not liking either of the medicines. Between stuffy nose, sore throat, increased thirst, dry mouth, severely dry skin, blurred vision, it makes me feel like its worse than having high blood pressure. My side effects are symptoms of an allergic reaction so maybe someone else might have better luck than me.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2011 12:09 AM

I had sexual side effects from Norvasc and it only moderately controlled my hypertension.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2011 10:45 AM

After taking Norvasc 10mg for 3 months I found my feet ankles and hands were swelling up, also gained weight even though I walk every day. My Doctor has put me on Avapro and I will monitor it for the next 3 months.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2011 6:35 PM

Review by Ron 59:

I took Norvasc for approximately 7 years. It works fine lowering my blood pressure however it began to swell my gums and I was taken off it.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2010 9:18 PM

My blood pressure went up to 220/150 and I was placed on Norvasc 10mg and Diovan 80mg. Been on this for over a year now and my blood pressure is currently 120/80 and I have had no side effects other than swelling on the lower leg which steady brisk walking has handled. The combination worked very well for me.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2010 11:21 AM

Review by Pixeljim:

This drug has worked very fast in reducing high blood pressure. I was on lisinopril but developed hives, swollen lips and tongue so doctor switched me to Norvasc. I seem to still have occasional hives but not as severe and may be triggered by heat. AZ this time of year is quite hot.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2010 1:24 PM

Both my husband and I have been taking Norvasc for a period of approximately 6 months. It has lowered both of our blood pressures into the normal range and we have suffered absolutely no side effects.

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2010 10:10 AM