User Reviews for Elavil

Learn more about Elavil.

Elavil review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1833 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Elavil to treat Pain

Review by pain and sleep and sleep and stress (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me.

September 19, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc.

August 30, 2014 3:11 PM

I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 7:52 PM

Review by TN in TX (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This medicine is AMAZING for pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I take it at night. It gives you a calm feeling and makes you not care about the pain. I just had my dose doubled and it takes a few days to get used to the medicine and/or new levels and the higher dose knocked me out for literally two days, just like when it was first prescribed. But I can't rave about it enough.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2013 7:58 PM

Review by Eliora (taken for less than 1 month):

After 12 years of dealing with EVERY DAY a tugging and pulling feeling in my brain, causing me to be determined disabled. I have a new doctor who yesterday started me on 10mg Elavil. I came to this website to read the comments to see if I dared believe that I could be feeling like I was finally given a miracle that might cure my diagnosed "transformed migraine" condition! TODAY, for the FIRST time in 12 years, there is no debilitating tugging and pulling, although I feel sleepy and I do feel a slight steady "pull".

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2013 6:13 PM

I have been on a 75mg of Elavil for over a year now for degenerative disc decease and 2 bad knees, it helps me sleep but the pain is still bad even with a morphine patch and oxycodone, but maybe my case is a rare one.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm on 200 mg at night. I know it's more than most people. I have chronic pain from degenerative bone disease plus I'm bipolar. This med is old school but it has helped me more than any of the newer meds. It is worth trying if other meds haven't helped.

November 1, 2012 9:32 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

No relief. Just made you completely wiped out.

June 1, 2012 12:37 AM

I have been on Elavil for 7 months now. I take 20mg every night for severe pain in my shoulders, arms and neck and also for depression. It's the best thing I have taken and I have tried loads of medicine but none have worked. I also couldnt sleep, but now I don't have pain. I am a lot calmer and I have never slept as good. I haven't put weight on either. It's the best tablet that I have been on.

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2012 8:45 AM

I use Elavil for fibromyalgia...it has worked wonders for my sleep issues. My overall quality of life has dramatically increased simply because I am able to get the sleep I so needed and its helping with depression/anxiety. It works better than Ambien. My dose now is only 50 mg...so glad I tried this medicine. I am very scared of antidepressants due to a horrible reaction from Cymbalta but Elavil is an older medication and its chemical makeup is different than most of the newer SSRIs. I went from sleeping on average of 4 to 5 hours a night...now I can sleep 10 without ever waking up..literally something I haven't been able to do in 5 years. This medicine is the best medicine for me, and I've tried everything out there as I have had Fibro for 8 years.

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 29, 2012 5:04 PM

Review by Robbie D:

No side effects other than some dry mouth. I have had pain in my upper mid right back for several years. The pain radiated to underneath my right rib cage. After 2 years and many CT scans, my surgeon removed my gallbladder. It was diseased and had small stones, but my condition did not improve. My surgeon said that he thought my pain could be skeletal and started me on a muscle relaxer with a low dose of Elavil at night. My pain has almost subsided and my neuropathy is much better. I am so glad to be taking it.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2011 9:29 PM

Review by TuTenKommon:

I'm 27 yrs old and have been through 2 back surgeries for a couple of herniated discs in my lower back. Over time, as my back pain worsened, I started developing migraines, which started at maybe one a month and soon developed into one a week, lasting 2-3 days at a time. I was forced to take a leave of absence from my job due to my worsening back pain coupled with the nuclear bombs (migraines) erupting inside my head on an almost daily basis. Needless to say, my mood and overall disposition deteriorated rapidly and I had little to no hope that I'd ever return to a normal way of living. That is until my neurologist prescribed me Elavil. Two words: GOD, SEND. Migraines - GONE. Back to work - FULL TIME. Life = AMAZING.

217 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2010 4:37 PM

Review by Beancounter53:

I developed near-total numbness in my thigh over a period of 2 months after which the surface pain was unbearable. I couldn't even touch the hairs on my thigh without gritting my teeth in pain. I saw a neurologist who couldn't identify the cause even after MRI, EMG and blood work. After trying Lyrica for the pain (which didn't help at all), he gave me Elavil. Using only a 25mg dose, the pain disappeared completely after one week. I did have some dry-mouth as a side effect for awhile, but that has subsided somewhat. Great stuff!

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2009 8:48 PM

Review by moosiepoo:

After a car accident a year ago and having horrible life disrupting headaches everyday I finally got prescribed Elavil at 25mg once before bed. It has improved most of my headaches and I sleep like a champ...all the time! Only downfalls are I sleep more now than ever and I have gained 15 lbs. I almost think I'd rather have headaches than gain this weight.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2009 5:11 PM

Review by Tamz:

I was given this for pain and insomnia. Didn't take it at first because I have a fear of drugs but after being on this for a week I wish I had taken it sooner. I am sleeping better and my pain is less. I have fibromyalgia along with Panic/Anxiety. This is a drug that helps it all with very few side effects for me (just dry mouth).

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2009 8:19 PM

Elavil is also great for preventing migraines. If taken on a daily basis, you will experience less headaches. It is also great as a sleep medication and for nerve pain.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2009 6:41 PM

Have been using it to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia, 10 mg at night, and it works great for keeping the pain away at night and to get a good nights sleep.

July 8, 2008 10:48 PM

I started on 75mg at night for fibromyalgia about 3 weeks ago. I've gone from constant, excruciating pain, to almost none. So far so good though & no weird food cravings at all.

April 14, 2008 9:35 PM

I have cronic pain due to neck and head pain. I have been taking elavil for 5 years 75mg a night. It doesn't help with the pain but I am able to sleep past the pain. If you have issues sleeping for what ever reason give it a try. I can sleep most of the night and I do not have a hang over the next morning.

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2008 11:51 PM

Review by megamaniac:

This stuff works soooo good. I have IBS and I take 10 mg a night and it works wonders. I don't have pain in my stomach all day long anymore and I have harder bowel movements compared to before I started taking the amitriptyline. I also have bipolar disorder and it helps with my stress levels and keeps me calm. I love this medicine without it I would be lost!

190 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2007 2:06 PM

Review by KissMyBones:

This helps me and my pain from Fybromyalgia. I take Elavil 75mg. Originaly was taking it for anxiety, it works well for that too.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2007 9:46 PM