User Reviews for Elavil

Learn more about Elavil.

Elavil Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1800 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Elavil to treat Pain

"I was prescribed this after a severe TBI and broken neck, it was suppose to help my headaches. After about a week it turned me into a rapid cycling bipolar suicidal freak, one second driving singing happy, next second I was trying to swerve in front of a semi."

Kristara (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

"Very good"

Maiku December 19, 2014

"I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me."

pain and sleep and sleep and stress (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc."

Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2014

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy."

Anonymous March 19, 2014

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood."

Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine is AMAZING for pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I take it at night. It gives you a calm feeling and makes you not care about the pain. I just had my dose doubled and it takes a few days to get used to the medicine and/or new levels and the higher dose knocked me out for literally two days, just like when it was first prescribed. But I can't rave about it enough."

TN in TX (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2013

190 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After 12 years of dealing with EVERY DAY a tugging and pulling feeling in my brain, causing me to be determined disabled. I have a new doctor who yesterday started me on 10mg Elavil. I came to this website to read the comments to see if I dared believe that I could be feeling like I was finally given a miracle that might cure my diagnosed "transformed migraine" condition! TODAY, for the FIRST time in 12 years, there is no debilitating tugging and pulling, although I feel sleepy and I do feel a slight steady "pull"."

Eliora (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2013

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on a 75mg of Elavil for over a year now for degenerative disc decease and 2 bad knees, it helps me sleep but the pain is still bad even with a morphine patch and oxycodone, but maybe my case is a rare one."

Anonymous January 23, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm on 200 mg at night. I know it's more than most people. I have chronic pain from degenerative bone disease plus I'm bipolar. This med is old school but it has helped me more than any of the newer meds. It is worth trying if other meds haven't helped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2012

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"No relief. Just made you completely wiped out."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2012

"I have been on Elavil for 7 months now. I take 20mg every night for severe pain in my shoulders, arms and neck and also for depression. It's the best thing I have taken and I have tried loads of medicine but none have worked. I also couldnt sleep, but now I don't have pain. I am a lot calmer and I have never slept as good. I haven't put weight on either. It's the best tablet that I have been on."

Anonymous March 20, 2012

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I use Elavil for fibromyalgia...it has worked wonders for my sleep issues. My overall quality of life has dramatically increased simply because I am able to get the sleep I so needed and its helping with depression/anxiety. It works better than Ambien. My dose now is only 50 mg...so glad I tried this medicine. I am very scared of antidepressants due to a horrible reaction from Cymbalta but Elavil is an older medication and its chemical makeup is different than most of the newer SSRIs. I went from sleeping on average of 4 to 5 hours a night...now I can sleep 10 without ever waking up..literally something I haven't been able to do in 5 years. This medicine is the best medicine for me, and I've tried everything out there as I have had Fibro for 8 years."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"No side effects other than some dry mouth. I have had pain in my upper mid right back for several years. The pain radiated to underneath my right rib cage. After 2 years and many CT scans, my surgeon removed my gallbladder. It was diseased and had small stones, but my condition did not improve. My surgeon said that he thought my pain could be skeletal and started me on a muscle relaxer with a low dose of Elavil at night. My pain has almost subsided and my neuropathy is much better. I am so glad to be taking it."

Robbie D November 19, 2011

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm 27 yrs old and have been through 2 back surgeries for a couple of herniated discs in my lower back. Over time, as my back pain worsened, I started developing migraines, which started at maybe one a month and soon developed into one a week, lasting 2-3 days at a time. I was forced to take a leave of absence from my job due to my worsening back pain coupled with the nuclear bombs (migraines) erupting inside my head on an almost daily basis. Needless to say, my mood and overall disposition deteriorated rapidly and I had little to no hope that I'd ever return to a normal way of living. That is until my neurologist prescribed me Elavil. Two words: GOD, SEND. Migraines - GONE. Back to work - FULL TIME. Life = AMAZING."

TuTenKommon May 21, 2010

267 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I developed near-total numbness in my thigh over a period of 2 months after which the surface pain was unbearable. I couldn't even touch the hairs on my thigh without gritting my teeth in pain. I saw a neurologist who couldn't identify the cause even after MRI, EMG and blood work. After trying Lyrica for the pain (which didn't help at all), he gave me Elavil. Using only a 25mg dose, the pain disappeared completely after one week. I did have some dry-mouth as a side effect for awhile, but that has subsided somewhat. Great stuff!"

Beancounter53 December 22, 2009

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After a car accident a year ago and having horrible life disrupting headaches everyday I finally got prescribed Elavil at 25mg once before bed. It has improved most of my headaches and I sleep like a champ...all the time! Only downfalls are I sleep more now than ever and I have gained 15 lbs. I almost think I'd rather have headaches than gain this weight."

moosiepoo December 12, 2009

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given this for pain and insomnia. Didn't take it at first because I have a fear of drugs but after being on this for a week I wish I had taken it sooner. I am sleeping better and my pain is less. I have fibromyalgia along with Panic/Anxiety. This is a drug that helps it all with very few side effects for me (just dry mouth)."

Tamz August 26, 2009

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Elavil is also great for preventing migraines. If taken on a daily basis, you will experience less headaches. It is also great as a sleep medication and for nerve pain."

Anonymous June 18, 2009

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been using it to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia, 10 mg at night, and it works great for keeping the pain away at night and to get a good nights sleep."

Anonymous July 8, 2008

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started on 75mg at night for fibromyalgia about 3 weeks ago. I've gone from constant, excruciating pain, to almost none. So far so good though & no weird food cravings at all."

Anonymous April 14, 2008

176 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have cronic pain due to neck and head pain. I have been taking elavil for 5 years 75mg a night. It doesn't help with the pain but I am able to sleep past the pain. If you have issues sleeping for what ever reason give it a try. I can sleep most of the night and I do not have a hang over the next morning."

Anonymous March 13, 2008

183 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This stuff works soooo good. I have IBS and I take 10 mg a night and it works wonders. I don't have pain in my stomach all day long anymore and I have harder bowel movements compared to before I started taking the amitriptyline. I also have bipolar disorder and it helps with my stress levels and keeps me calm. I love this medicine without it I would be lost!"

megamaniac December 28, 2007

208 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This helps me and my pain from Fybromyalgia. I take Elavil 75mg. Originaly was taking it for anxiety, it works well for that too."

KissMyBones September 18, 2007

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Pain