User Reviews for Elavil

Learn more about Elavil.

Elavil Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Elavil to treat Insomnia

"Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!"

Tinkerbell007 March 2, 2015

"Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation"

ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2014

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Helped me sleep through the night with no side effects."

wa9mrn October 1, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have really, really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doctor prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after a while meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and IF needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose. "

KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on Elavil to treat sleep deprivation and for pain relief. Took it for four days. It did not help with the pain and it kept me up instead of putting me to sleep. For the first two days I slept for maybe 3 hours total (slept for one hour, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep for an hour, up again, etc.) then the last two days I went for two days straight with no sleep. Very frustrating."

CP343434 March 9, 2013

"Worked wonders for sleep but I'm constantly hungry. I exercise 3 times per week to help keep the weight off. If weight is an issue this might not be the medicine for you. "

Anonymous March 18, 2012

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After my sister died when I was 12 years old I had a hard time sleeping. Only only getting 3 hours of sleep at a time. My doctor prescribed Elavil and it worked immediately. I can finally concentrate on task that I could not do before. I am taking 200 mg of Elavil."

Anonymous August 12, 2011

"I used Elavil for 2 months I use it only as needed. When I do use it works like a miracle."

lozano B April 26, 2011

"I have a very high tolerance for a lot of pain medications due to pain issues. Your body always needs more and more to produce the same effect until almost nothing works. Fortunately, this type of medication doesn't affect me that way. Although I guess it is mainly used for depression. It has worked like a charm for me to get my body to sleep much longer. And I have never had to increase the dose. The only drawback for me with this medication is that when I do wake up I am pretty groggy for about 45 minutes."

Anonymous November 7, 2010

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It did not help me fall or stay asleep. I took this medication for 3 months. I started out at 25 mg and worked my way up (per doctors orders), to 100 mg. It still did nothing. I weaned myself off of it and it was like I had never taken anything in the first place."

badkatz May 28, 2010

"Took for 1 month at 25 mg. Worked well for the insomnia -weird dreams aside- but stopped due to 14 lbs weight gain and constant feeling of impending bowel motion."

Anonymous April 20, 2010

"I took Elavil for two years and slept like a champ! I tried everything else on the market, prescription, herbal, over the counter and nothing worked like this did."

Anonymous October 6, 2009

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take Elavil for insomnia and without it I have a terrible time trying to fall asleep."

Anonymous July 21, 2009

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used this for a year for insomnia, but once my sleep cycle got better they took me off of it. I am going to ask for it again as I have been reduced to 3 to 4 hours of sleep once more. I hope it works as well now as it did 20 years ago."

Scotishtess June 23, 2009

"I was prescribed Elavil to help me sleep. I use to toss and turn and think about the day, the next day, and the day after. I take this medication and I am asleep within 20 minutes. I sleep all night without waking up. I also take it to get a complete night sleep to refresh my body to fight the next day with fibromyalgia."

Anonymous April 22, 2008

265 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Insomnia