User Reviews for Elavil

Learn more about Elavil.

Elavil review summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Elavil to treat Fibromyalgia

Review by Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried.

February 26, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Yikes!:

I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 2:33 PM

Review by Zaneygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was diagnosed 14 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia. My doctor prescribed Elavil.10 mg. per day. It helped me sleep better but heart began beating to fast and was discontinued. Helped a little with pain.

September 30, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by Minders8:

Helped me fall asleep, but I didn't stay asleep so it had no real impact in helping my pain.

January 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Review by ewhynot:

Elavil has been a life-saver for me. I have fibromyalgia and SAD. My ability to sleep through the night with Elavil has been amazing. Previously I would wake up too early and not be able to sleep until it was time to get up. I was a wreck and thought I'd have to give up my job because I couldn't function on 4-5 hours of sleep. I find that I need 15 mg in winter months and only 10 with longer daylight days.

October 15, 2011 5:26 PM

Helps well with my anxiety as well!

April 18, 2011 2:37 PM

This medicine is a major player in my fibromyalgia. It helps me sleep through the night, because it reduces the pain at night. I went off it for a week and I never slept more then 2 hours continuously for that week. I give this medicine a thumbs up for that reason. It doesn't help at all for the pain I have ALL DAY.

April 4, 2011 8:36 PM

Review by Jasper07:

I was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, was beginning to feel like I am losing my mind. I am 29 yrs old and some days can barely walk I hurt so bad. I have been on Elavil for headaches 10 mg is all I can handle as it knocks me out. It helps to prevent the headaches but I hurt so bad still. Thankful to be rid of headaches but wish the doctor would help!

January 17, 2011 11:23 AM

I started taking Elavil at the onset of my Fibromyalgia in 1997, had great sleep and was able to continue my work and study without pain. In early 2010 I read the side effects of the medicine and recognized what was happening to me. I had been falling for no reason, broke an ankle, lumbar vertebrate, thumb and many bruises. I had dry mouth so bad could hardly talk, could not remember my words I wanted to say, and lost all sex drive. I slowly removed myself off of the Elavil with the help of my doctor. I have had lots of pain since February 2010 and cannot find a medicine to help me with my sleep and pain, but I will not use Elavil again. I have not fallen, lost my memory or had any other side effects of this medicine since.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2010 12:53 PM

I have had great success with this medicine. It is meant to help you achieve sleep levels 3 and 4. It is meant to make you drowsy. Take it at night a couple of hours before you want to fall asleep. Poor sleep is a big problem with fibromyalgia. I have had fibro for 20 years. I still work full time, retail 56 hours a week. Yea it's tough some days. You have to keep moving.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2010 8:56 PM

Review by red65:

I first started out at 50mg of Elavil almost 2 years ago. It was like instant heaven! I am a horrible insomniac and with Elavil I was getting good quality sleep and woke up feeling rested. I was also on Lyrica at the time. For a while both of them together had me feeling a lot better. Unfortunately I have a very high tolerance to any medicine. I am now at 150mg Elavil. I can't imagine going any higher yet my pain is increasing so I don't know what will happen when I totally max out at this level. I no longer take Lyrica as I became tolerant. Savella seems to help with fibromyalgia fog but it doesn't touch my pain. Give it a try.

May 25, 2010 12:59 PM

I turned into a total zombie on this. Literally could not get out of bed! Doctors throw this at you when you first get diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

January 30, 2010 10:30 AM

Review by amauriaalex:

I started on 25 mg of Elavil for 1 month and recently increased to 50mg. The Elavil has worked well to some extent. I didn't have very many side effects and I am hoping that it will continue to give me positive results.

October 19, 2009 6:14 PM

Review by barbie anne:

I started on Elavil about 15 yrs ago for fibromyalgia. It brought me a lot of relief at first but it stopped working for me. I still take it but the doctor wants me to take a lessor mg. I was up to 100mg but now I am down to 20mg. She said that the Elavil made my heart beat really fast. It can also make your blood sugar go up or down.

September 7, 2009 10:50 PM

I have been on 100mg for 1 year now. Works great for sleep and pain. Downfall, I have gained 50lbs.

June 19, 2009 3:10 AM

Review by kjg6:

This medicine did not help my fibromyalgia at all. I had Doctor after Doctor ask me to take it as I searched for answers and relief. I finally had to stand up for myself and refuse to take it because it has such a strong effect on me. I felt like a zombie each time I tried it. This is regardless of how small the dose was. The medicine did nothing to ease my pain or any of my other fibromyalgia symptoms.

May 28, 2009 8:59 AM

Started with 25mg in 1987, increased to 100mg recently. Overall not that much different than the others, gained a lot of weight as with Neurontin, but it did help sleep and mood issues.

May 25, 2009 4:31 AM

Review by mikeal:

I have just started to use Elavil - this is my third day of taking this medication and I already feel a little better.

May 1, 2009 7:44 AM