User Reviews for Elavil

Learn more about Elavil.

Elavil review summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Elavil to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by marslites (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Gave me my life back

October 8, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by anonymous1224365:

This medication has been very effective for my anxiety. I've taken 75mg for the past 9yrs. No more heart palpitations or tightness in my chest. I have tried others prior to the Elavil, but found I woke up with a hangover and a out of body feeling. If Ii forget to order refill before I run out it takes a 3 days to feel the effects.

September 23, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Tried SSRI antidepressants for two years. No relief until took this medicine.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by Meechie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking Elavil for over 5 years now and I must say it has changed my whole outlook completely. I was diagnosed as bi-polar, depressed and an insomniac. This medication has improved all three of my conditions.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2012 8:08 PM

Review by Mrs.F.:

I'm bipolar. I've been on various medicines for almost 10 years. Well, my Dad died a few months ago. The depression and anxiety was so bad I could not function. My Doctor prescribed this along with my 40mg of Celexa. It took about a month -6 weeks before I felt any better. But I also have chronic pain from spinal arthritis. This medication has helped me get my life back! But in the process, I've gained 20lbs in 8 weeks and I was already overweight. Its helped with my chronic pain and with the depression. I love how I feel on this but not the weight gain.

March 21, 2011 9:14 PM

Review by voncha:

I've only been on Elavil 62.5mg since last night and I slept all the way through the night and woke up not so tired this morning. I was on 25mg at first but didn't work then up to 50mg and that didn't work. Now I am trying this dose and I feel so much better. I hope it continues to work for me at this dose. I took it about five hours before bedtime and I felt tired and went to bed five hours later after taking it at 6:20pm.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2010 12:27 PM

I've been on Elavil for three years and it has been a God-send: Ironically, I was seeing a Gastrointestinal doctor until she recommended that I "stop and smell the roses more." Combined with therapy sessions for about a year, I worry less as I see more of what really is worth getting worked up over -- not a whole lot. One can be passionate about certain things such as family and country and life, but other things are less, way-less significant. Elavil has taught me how to best sort out what some things are worth worrying over and not. I take 100mg/day at 8pm normally and I sleep well at night, and feel good generally about how things will be throughout the next day. I love the smell of roses.

223 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2009 12:14 AM

This medication gave me my life back. It truly does help with panic attacks.

214 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2009 11:08 PM

Review by theiceman:

Finally found a drug which relieved my anxiety. 25mg before bed and it changed my life.

257 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2009 8:58 AM