User Reviews for Amiodarone

Also known as: Cordarone, Cordarone IV, Nexterone, Pacerone

Learn more about Amiodarone.

Ventricular Tachycardia 7 reviews 33 medications

8.5
Arrhythmia 19 reviews 43 medications

6.9
Ventricular Fibrillation 4 reviews 21 medications

4.5
Summary of Amiodarone reviews 30 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Amiodarone

For Arrhythmia: "Back in Feburary I reported that I had been on the drug Amiodarone for 2 weeks. The drug worked well for getting the heart back into Sinus Rhythm, but it has come at a horrible price! I now have "pulmonary toxicity" due to this drug and am having recurring bouts of pneumonia. If I had known then what I know now, I would have asked the doctor for something else. When you have toxicity, they can see "ground glass" in your lungs. The pain is horrible sometimes and I find myself not wanting to breathe deeply. I was working out 6 days a week and the doctors have me doing almost nothing right now. I am on steroids but we don't know the long term effects for me. Please educate yourself before agreeing to take this drug!"

RestAssured (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "Tiredness/ fatigue Confused/forgetful Dry/ burning eyes Ringing in my ears Skin feels like it is crawling. My hands and forearms feel like they are burning, like all the nerve endings are on fire, to a lesser degree this is also affecting my feet. I can't bare anyone touching me, even the slightest touch is painful. Clothes are irritating me. Can't sleep/disturbed sleep Swollen ankles My vision seams more blurred, I have to take my glasses off to read now. I can't go outside without getting horribly sunburned in a matter of minutes. I am having to wear factor 50+ inside the house and still getting sunburned inside. I feel like a prisoner, unable to go about daily tasks and share time with my family. I feel dizzy, and a little wobbly"

will I be well again? March 15, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "This drug is finally allowing me to live life again. After 3 ablations, 2 Cardioversions, and numerous anti-arrymithic drugs, I am able to exercise without gasping for breath. My Electrophysiologist put me on the drug saying only 5 months: I take 200mg 2 times a day for the first month, and then it will be 1 a day for four months. The last ablation was quite extensive, so the heart needs help for 5 months. He explained that this drug has so many potential side effects, but after 2 weeks the only problem I have is constipation. I can deal w that!"

RestAssured February 9, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "This drug needs to be removed from the market. After being on it for 16 months, I developed boop..it attacked my lungs and set up what is called by my Doctor Chemical pneumonia. I've been treated with steroids off and on for 1 and half years...each time I am taken off boop returns. A critical care Pulmonary Doctor says I have to come off steriods and I wants to. Put me on a drug that has a side effect of causing three types of cancer. This med can stay in your blood at a therapeutic level for 6 months...and could take up to three years to get it out of your blood. My lungs are so bad I asked about a lung transplant, blood transfusion. Guess what...not an option, the medicine is in every tissue of my body.. As long as the drug is in my system, boop.!!"

was on amiodarone for about 16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2016

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation back in April. I was put on this medication as a way of helping my heart return to its regular beat. I had my heart shocked about a month ago & because I hadn't been on the medication long enough the procedure was a failure."

Nick Burke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2015

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "I take 200mg od and after the 2nd dose i started feeling chest congestion, dry cough, pain in the diaphragm, loss of appetite and nausea"

jentrix September 19, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "Been on this medication for over 5ys no side affects. Medication has worked so good dosage was reduced."

mike Milwaukee Wi, (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2015

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "general weakness/ tired muscles/ constipation/lapsus/ and sets the beats straight.. age 62..weight 75 kg..height 5' 11.. took the 200 gms tablet for 3 months."

Danthedon (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "I have been taking this for only 1 week and my side effects are hard to deal with. I am very tired and my pulse dips to the 40s. I am taking 400mg 2 times a day so hopefully at my follow up the Dr will reduce it.My chest hurts on and off but that could be due to 3 cardio-versions in 6 weeks time. I have had A-fib episodes for the last 5 years so this is my last medicine to try. So far it is working. I feel the familiar flutters and then...nothing. I am glad it is keeping my rhythm intact."

bug lady (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "Taking for 2 months prior to ablation, and 1 month after. It seems really strong at first, kinda makes you dizzy, but i got used to it within a few days. I can't say I've had any problems with it at all, other then being in the sun/heat seems to make me very tired very quickly. Keeps my rhythm good. I wanted to say, not being sick or dealing with pain or excessive stress is a MASSIVE part of staying in rhythm. The heart will react to anything wrong or unusual with the body. Even a cold/flu or even allergy symptoms."

HamSamick June 10, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "Was on amiodrone two months prescribe to me by doctor in Baja Mexico. Loss of weight, anxiety. Back in US to discover it had sent my thyroid skyrocket, loss of weight and general poor quality of life. Now thyroid has to be retested in four weeks and recommended to see neurologist due to possible Parkinson's. They should ban the drug."

bajamary (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "Excellent for arrhythmia. Lot's and lots of negative side effects. Nothing else available for my particular problem."

JET4 January 30, 2015

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "After taking medicine for a year after ablation started getting severe constipation and low thyroid. Dr. then took me off of it. No more constipation! Just feeling tired now and need to get thyroid checked again. Also heart has stayed in rhythm thus far about 4 weeks."

Captain Mary August 22, 2014

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I have no doubt that Amiodarone helps some people, but I'm one of those people it didn't help. I have Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia with signs of long QT syndrome. Because of my V-Fib episode (saved by my ICD), my doctor placed me on an Amiodarone regimen with routine organ monitoring. This is making my arrhythmia's worse. I have day long episode of PVC and VTAC runs. I learned that this medicine doesn't work with my type of Ventricular Tachycardia. "

SFRon August 9, 2013

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Six months after quintuple by-pass surgery and several heart events I was put on Multaq and shortly thereafter had a defibrillator device implanted. Four years and a slow but steady increase in short cardio events I was prescribed Amiodarone 200mg twice daily, and after controlling the events reduced the dosage to 200mg once daily. In the ensuing 2 years my cardiac events has drastically reduced in number and severity and my defibrillator activity is almost non-existent. I do have medium to light side effects including constipation, under skin tingle, short term memory loss and an occasional feeling of unsteadiness. All a reasonable price to pay for the huge reduction of arrhythmia activity."

donjude (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 11, 2013

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "I had a pacemaker installed, was started on Amiodarone immediately after and left hospital 4 days later. Three days later was returned to hospital with serious pulmonary problems. Everyone thought I had pneumonia but it was side effects from the Amiodarone and the pulmonary Doctor replaced it immediately with another medicine. "

fruitfirst December 24, 2011

Pacerone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "On this medicine for 6 yrs. No recognized side effects. Last X-ray, lungs okay."

Anonymous December 1, 2011

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Had implanted defibrillator fitted in UK in 2001, moved to Spain 2002, was getting occasional shocks and in 2006 prescribed amiodarone by cardiologist. Shock free for four years, but thyroid overactivity in 2010 caused change to different medicines. I get more shocks than ever and beg to go back on amiodarone even at reduced dosage, but no agreement yet. Had a shock whilst driving last week and two more today whilst relaxing by the pool. I'm nearly 77, alone in Spain, and have had enough of this. Can't drive again. Many problems. No side effects."

Barry Bookmaker August 14, 2011

For Arrhythmia: "After two ablation procedures and numerous cardioversions were unable to keep me in rhythm I started taking 100mg amiodarone daily. After a short period I was back in rhythm and have stayed that way for six months so far. My only noticeable side effects have been unpleasant nightmares almost every night since I started taking amiodarone. This could be coincidental. "

Jim-SF May 18, 2011

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Great medicine to control atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia but a lot of side effects. I got hyperthyroidism because of that and since I have a defibrillator my heart rate was jumping from 100 to 200b/sec. I got shocked like 17 times while going to work (because heart was going over 200 beats/sec). Then I used other medicines but no luck. Now I am back on Amiodarone because I got shocked and passed out and had a stroke. Doctor said there is no other option but amiodarone and hope for the heart transplant."

janosik May 16, 2011

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "After failed ablations, as well as trying virtually every antiarrhythmic medicines on the market, amiodarone is the only medicine that controls my 13 year old's ventricular tachycardia. Notable side effects for her are severe sunburn and marginal hyperthyroid (not to the level of where it needs to be medically managed)."

Anonymous April 17, 2011

For Arrhythmia: "I've been taking Amiodarone for about 2 years now. No side effects, good control of Atrial Fibrillation."

vincebeale February 22, 2011

Pacerone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "Decreased sexual drive/interest. Tired feeling and going to bed early."

Anonymous December 7, 2010

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "Terrible sun sensitivity. Hands became swollen, but didn't peel or blister. Swelling subsided after ~ 3 days."

Anonymous February 11, 2010

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "Caused rash."

skinny girl September 19, 2009