User Reviews for Amiodarone

Also known as: Cordarone, Cordarone IV, Nexterone, Pacerone

Learn more about Amiodarone.

Supraventricular Tachycardia 0 reviews 40 medications

Ventricular Fibrillation 3 reviews 20 medications

3.3
Summary of Amiodarone reviews 22 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Amiodarone

For Arrhythmia: "I have been taking this for only 1 week and my side effects are hard to deal with. I am very tired and my pulse dips to the 40s. I am taking 400mg 2 times a day so hopefully at my follow up the Dr will reduce it.My chest hurts on and off but that could be due to 3 cardio-versions in 6 weeks time. I have had A-fib episodes for the last 5 years so this is my last medicine to try. So far it is working. I feel the familiar flutters and then...nothing. I am glad it is keeping my rhythm intact."

bug lady (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "Taking for 2 months prior to ablation, and 1 month after. It seems really strong at first, kinda makes you dizzy, but i got used to it within a few days. I can't say I've had any problems with it at all, other then being in the sun/heat seems to make me very tired very quickly. Keeps my rhythm good. I wanted to say, not being sick or dealing with pain or excessive stress is a MASSIVE part of staying in rhythm. The heart will react to anything wrong or unusual with the body. Even a cold/flu or even allergy symptoms."

HamSamick June 10, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "Was on amiodrone two months prescribe to me by doctor in Baja Mexico. Loss of weight, anxiety. Back in US to discover it had sent my thyroid skyrocket, loss of weight and general poor quality of life. Now thyroid has to be retested in four weeks and recommended to see neurologist due to possible Parkinson's. They should ban the drug."

bajamary (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

For Arrhythmia: "Excellent for arrhythmia. Lot's and lots of negative side effects. Nothing else available for my particular problem."

JET4 January 30, 2015

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "After taking medicine for a year after ablation started getting severe constipation and low thyroid. Dr. then took me off of it. No more constipation! Just feeling tired now and need to get thyroid checked again. Also heart has stayed in rhythm thus far about 4 weeks."

Captain Mary August 22, 2014

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I have no doubt that Amiodarone helps some people, but I'm one of those people it didn't help. I have Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia with signs of long QT syndrome. Because of my V-Fib episode (saved by my ICD), my doctor placed me on an Amiodarone regimen with routine organ monitoring. This is making my arrhythmia's worse. I have day long episode of PVC and VTAC runs. I learned that this medicine doesn't work with my type of Ventricular Tachycardia. "

SFRon August 9, 2013

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Six months after quintuple by-pass surgery and several heart events I was put on Multaq and shortly thereafter had a defibrillator device implanted. Four years and a slow but steady increase in short cardio events I was prescribed Amiodarone 200mg twice daily, and after controlling the events reduced the dosage to 200mg once daily. In the ensuing 2 years my cardiac events has drastically reduced in number and severity and my defibrillator activity is almost non-existent. I do have medium to light side effects including constipation, under skin tingle, short term memory loss and an occasional feeling of unsteadiness. All a reasonable price to pay for the huge reduction of arrhythmia activity."

donjude (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 11, 2013

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "I had a pacemaker installed, was started on Amiodarone immediately after and left hospital 4 days later. Three days later was returned to hospital with serious pulmonary problems. Everyone thought I had pneumonia but it was side effects from the Amiodarone and the pulmonary Doctor replaced it immediately with another medicine. "

fruitfirst December 24, 2011

Pacerone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "On this medicine for 6 yrs. No recognized side effects. Last X-ray, lungs okay."

Anonymous December 1, 2011

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Had implanted defibrillator fitted in UK in 2001, moved to Spain 2002, was getting occasional shocks and in 2006 prescribed amiodarone by cardiologist. Shock free for four years, but thyroid overactivity in 2010 caused change to different medicines. I get more shocks than ever and beg to go back on amiodarone even at reduced dosage, but no agreement yet. Had a shock whilst driving last week and two more today whilst relaxing by the pool. I'm nearly 77, alone in Spain, and have had enough of this. Can't drive again. Many problems. No side effects."

Barry Bookmaker August 14, 2011

For Arrhythmia: "After two ablation procedures and numerous cardioversions were unable to keep me in rhythm I started taking 100mg amiodarone daily. After a short period I was back in rhythm and have stayed that way for six months so far. My only noticeable side effects have been unpleasant nightmares almost every night since I started taking amiodarone. This could be coincidental. "

Jim-SF May 18, 2011

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Great medicine to control atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia but a lot of side effects. I got hyperthyroidism because of that and since I have a defibrillator my heart rate was jumping from 100 to 200b/sec. I got shocked like 17 times while going to work (because heart was going over 200 beats/sec). Then I used other medicines but no luck. Now I am back on Amiodarone because I got shocked and passed out and had a stroke. Doctor said there is no other option but amiodarone and hope for the heart transplant."

janosik May 16, 2011

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "After failed ablations, as well as trying virtually every antiarrhythmic medicines on the market, amiodarone is the only medicine that controls my 13 year old's ventricular tachycardia. Notable side effects for her are severe sunburn and marginal hyperthyroid (not to the level of where it needs to be medically managed)."

Anonymous April 17, 2011

For Arrhythmia: "I've been taking Amiodarone for about 2 years now. No side effects, good control of Atrial Fibrillation."

vincebeale February 22, 2011

Pacerone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "Decreased sexual drive/interest. Tired feeling and going to bed early."

Anonymous December 7, 2010

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "Terrible sun sensitivity. Hands became swollen, but didn't peel or blister. Swelling subsided after ~ 3 days."

Anonymous February 11, 2010

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "Caused rash."

skinny girl September 19, 2009

Pacerone (amiodarone) for Ventricular Tachycardia: "Caused bad rash."

Anonymous September 19, 2009

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I had 3 t tests to stop my heart back to normal rhythm but amiodarone did the trick."

llyhp August 29, 2009

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "Three weeks after commencing amiodarone I had developed an itchy skin rash (under clothing, not photosensitive) which started below my knees, and spread over my whole body within eight weeks. At that time I wore a halter monitor to assess rhythm and my condition was worse than when I was on other medicines. The side effects were pronounced, the results poor, at least in my case."

Anonymous August 13, 2009

For Arrhythmia: "Good after cardio-version. I was prescribed it and my heart went into atrial fibrilation. Side effects I suffered were stomach pains (like carrying a 10 pin bowling ball in your stomach). Couldn't keep anything down, from light snacks to drinks. Severe fatigue, tiredness, diarrhea, dizzy spells. After my cardio version for the 3rd time, I feel 100% better, and am still on amiodarone and all the above symptoms have subsided. The only side effect I have now is: short term memory loss, lack of appetite, get sunburnt very easily."

taz153624 April 28, 2009

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "I have found this medication at only 100mg to be highly effective in totally eliminating recurrent episodes of afibrillation even after an ablation procedure. It is used by my doctor in conjunction with metoprolol (toprol XL 25 mg)to help regulate my heartbeat and keep it regular. The dose has already been reduced once from 200mg and my cardiologist hopes to be able to reduce it even further to 50mg. No side effects that I have noticed."

1Maddog September 27, 2008

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate