User Reviews for Xanax

Depression 42 reviews 75 medications

8.6
Summary of Xanax reviews 382 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Xanax

For Anxiety: Works great for my anxiety attacks, but after 6 years I've gone from 0.25 mg twice a day to 1mg twice a day. Getting "anxious" about what will happen when this dose stops working.

March 27, 2010 3:59 PM

For Depression: I think Xanax works great taking it along with an antidepressant. Right now I am currently taking 2 mg of Xanaz along with 20 mg of Celexa. I believe it has helped me out it so many ways. I used to have anxiety and panic attacks pretty much all day, or part of the day that I was awake. I haven't felt this good about myself in a long time. Sometimes I would get a panic attack just from walking in a public place, such as a supermarket, and then came the heavy breathing and the nervous feeling out of nowhere. But the Xanax put all the feelings to rest. I know it's a narcotic and it can be abused and it also can cause dependency. But if used the right way I know it can work for some of the worst conditions of depression.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2010 3:04 PM

Review by blottobox:

For Panic Disorder: I've had panic attacks in the past, are far back as age 5 or 6. I had a couple in my my 20's, and from 1999 to 2008 I fought a child support case and spent alot of time in jaiil over that period of time. In 2007-2008 I spent 11 months locked up in Detriot, Mi. where I finally beat the case by DNA and was freed. A month Later I began having regular panic attacks. I now have Chronic Anxiety associated with PTSD/Agoraphobia/and Chronic Panic Attacks. I started taking Xanax in June 2008 until March 2009 where my doctor then tried every drug under the sun on me outside of Benzos, and nothing worked. In January 2010 my Mother passed and the attacks became frequent after 11 ER visits and a doctor change I'm now on 0.5mg Xanax x 2 day.

March 20, 2010 12:45 AM

Review by twalsh825:

For Anxiety: I've tried everything for anxiety - which is severe ALL the time. XANAX WORKS! Only issue is the length of time it lasts; I can feel the effects almost immediately (within 20 minutes and continue to feel effects kicking in for a good hour after), but after about 3 hours, I start to have rebound anxiety from it wearing off. Be careful of tolerance though. Since I've been on it, I've had to increase 4x. I started of with 0.5mg 3x/day and am now on 1mg, 5x/day. I don't want to change that, but this seems to be a perfect. It gives me the relief I need as often as my body seems to need it. I am so grateful for this drug, as my panic is non-existent, where it hasn't been in YEARS. It's been non stop - never relief. I finally feel relief.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2010 7:26 PM

Review by lawyer100:

For Anxiety: I am prescribed 0.5mg Xanax twice a day as needed. It works very well for me when I have high anxiety. I have no side effects at all from this drug, I don't even get sleepy with it, I just feel calmer. I have taken a variety of benzodiazepines for years, and I have never had a problem with an addiction to any of them (and I have a history of drug abuse). I would just say to take as needed and at the correct dose, and don't take continuously for a long time, and you should do good with Xanax.

February 26, 2010 6:23 PM

For Depression: Xanax is the one benzodiazepine that actually helps. I have gone through a loss from my fiance of 10 years, he passed in September 2009 and I got on Xanax and it helps me out a lot. It is the best.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2010 7:27 PM

Review by LiveForPeace:

For Anxiety: I am a 19 year old male prescribed to a 0.5mg dosage of Xanax to be taken twice daily. Depending on my spouts of anxiety or an occasional panic attack, I either take one or a half of one to calm my state of mind. I try to just take a half of one because this medication can be addicting. I noticed these effects and feelings right after my first intake. It does indeed help suppress my anxiety and panic attacks. Due to the addiction prone aspects I'm giving it an 8.

February 13, 2010 5:14 AM

Review by Godscreation:

For Anxiety: I was the caregiver for 2 family members from 1997 to 2008. I had the first full-blown stress panic attack in 2005. Xanax was one of my medications and in 6 months, I was off drugs. I have no regrets for those 11 years, but thought I was finally free to live my life. However, I was wrong. I now have continuous anxiety if I don't take 0.25 mg Xanax in the morning and evening. I also have very high blood pressure to which a solution has not been found. Xanax does lower it and I couldn't keep my sanity without it. I have had no negative side effects, only positive.

February 12, 2010 3:00 PM

Review by iwashere:

For Depression: This pill got the job done.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2010 10:02 PM

Review by Mickey M:

For Anxiety: I had 2 panic attacks in my entire life. I went to a Doctor and was given Xanax at half mg to take immediately and 6 hrs later. It worked and I thought I would keep some handy for any possible future attacks. He prescribed 0.25mg pills 3 times a day. I looked it up on the internet and didn't like the information on addiction. I went to my Doctor when I got back home and he prescribed Ativan. I believe Xanax should be used only when having a panic attack and not as a maintenance drug.

February 7, 2010 10:05 AM

Review by calmer:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed 0.25mg of Xanax for my hyper-anxiety and panic attacks. As a 200lb man I needed a 0.5mg dose. Xanax really solves panic attacks well, and noticeably helps with my anxiety. It makes it much easier to fall asleep which is great at bedtime, but can be a real problem in the morning. Reading "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns also really helped treat the thoughts that led to panic and anxiety.

February 4, 2010 11:19 PM

Review by lorina:

For Depression: Every time I had a depression, it's very difficult for me to sleep, my friend said I should consult my doctor and so I did. My doctor prescribed me this medicine..It's really good. Thumbs up!

January 27, 2010 11:45 PM

For Anxiety: Works okay four me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2010 11:35 PM

Review by MasterT300:

For Anxiety: I use Xanax (1mg) for anxiety and panic disorder. This medicine has been the only drug that has brought relief to to my constant anxiety. I don't know where I'd be without it. I take the use of this drug very seriously and don't abuse it. I use it only when needed for panic or when anxiety is so intense I simply can't tolerate it any longer. When used properly this drug is safe and you will not become addicted. It's very fast acting (15 min) which is important when a panic attack hits. Side effects are minimal for me. I get the "jelly legs" and that's about it. It's never made me stumble or fall though. The generic version isn't quite as good as the real stuff, but if you must use generic, the round blue tabs are better than the oval ones.

January 21, 2010 9:46 PM

Review by dougsam:

For Anxiety: I found that Xanax is the only thing that can calm my panic disorder. I take 4mg a day and I have not had an attack in about 3 months.

January 21, 2010 3:02 AM

Review by LilCricket82:

For Anxiety: I personally truly enjoy the fact that while my anxieties are prominent; the Xanax provides me with the security to take a deep breath and if things become too overwhelming I have the option of taking it when needed.

January 15, 2010 7:46 PM

Review by Gia15:

For Panic Disorder: I started having panic attacks 3 years ago when going through deaths in the family and the ending of my marriage, to being a single Mom. I just could not cope with it any longer I can't tell you the trips to the ER. Just to be gave a lorazepam. My doctor tried other benzo's but they just did not help the sudden attacks. They have upped my dose. But at this point Xanax is a life saver and I don't know what I would do without them. The only draw back is the half life they wear off to soon and I will not take another dose until time to take it again, those few hours are not good. But 2 and 1/2 milligrams a day is far as I will take this. I have been on benzodiazepines for three years and that scares me, but not like the panic attack, those make you feel like your having a heart-attack or worse. I have had some that I really did not think I was going to live through. So my Xanax stays until I can get off them when the stress is gone and a taper off, never suddenly go off them it could be very dangerous. A taper down is best but from what I have heard it's not pleasant.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2010 2:02 PM

Review by thatoneguy5:

For Anxiety: I was switched onto this drug after taking lorazepam (Ativan) which I was very happy with and had almost no side effects with. I started taking it combined with Effexor, and it was horrible. I would take it, pass out for an hour, and wake up feeling the same as before. I could see how it would be good for a panic attack, but for general anxiety it is not very good. If you are on a constant dose, you will be taking them about 3 to 4 times a day which is too much to keep up with. I also found much more intense effects from this drug, which I consider dangerous because I don't want to get addicted to them. I think the drug is good for anxiety attacks, but for general anxieties I would ask for lorazepam or klonopin.

January 10, 2010 7:44 AM

Review by jhuyj:

For Anxiety: I have been diagnosed with both Dysautonomia and GAD. I cannot take SSRI's as they throw me into an extreme panic state starting with pill one. I finally gave in and accepted Xanax from my doctor. My dosage is 0.05 3 times a day. I never take the prescribed dose but rather 1/2 pill in the morning, daytime if needed and I rarely take at night. My life has done a complete turnaround. I have energy again, I'm not so tense, snappy or experiencing the extreme anxiety that would peak at around 2pm. I'm careful to take as I need, and while doctors may not like prescribing it, the truth is many of us will be on medication forever. I've found something that doesn't feel like medication, I just feel like me.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2009 12:19 PM

For Anxiety: Great.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2009 3:29 PM

Review by roxxy51:

For Panic Disorder: I take Paxil 30mg a day and 0.5mg of Xanax 3 times a day. I have as everyone else here does a very horrible panic disorder with agoraphobia. I cannot and do not leave my house. It has been 3 yrs now that I cannot go outside unless if I am with someone and that is a short outing. Xanax is my life saving drug. Yes it doesnot last long in your body but with the Paxil and Xanax together I no longer need to call 911 to go to the ER. Only once did I within the last 6 months due to finding out my best friend in the whole world my dad, has cancer... but as long as this medicine is not abused it works great. With the help of my therapist and psych doctor I hope someday I can go outside but I am still afraid due to the bad panic disorder I have.

December 13, 2009 2:34 PM

For Anxiety: After years of talk down therapy, I reached a breaking point. A Doc gave me Xanax and it was a miracle. I was able to go to stores and travel on airlines without Panic Attacks. I have been on Xanax since 1999, .25 Mg before bedtime. This has given me my life back. I do take more for long flights where I spend 12 to 24 hours inside the airline system. I started on .25 Mg daily and 10 years later still use the same amount. If I miss a dose more than a day, I get antsy, then clammy skin and finally unjustified panic attack on 3rd or 4th day. This is well expected and acceptable response to quitting abruptly. Doc has been up front about me using this or some other drug for the rest of my life. It is well worth it.

December 13, 2009 2:54 AM

Review by Ria k:

For Panic Disorder: I have (HAD) strong panic and anxiety attacks specially out in public. I feared everything. Always the ... What if this?... What if that? ..worried about the worst things that could happen. Lived on edge of my seat. Then doctor gave me Xanax and I felt like myself again. All fear was gone and I was so much happier. More at ease with things. I didn't stress out so fast and could go have fun in my life. Xanax is my life saver.

December 10, 2009 2:06 PM

For Anxiety: Xanax is the best anxiety medication that I have taken over the past several years. I have been prescribed at least ten or more different medicines and some work to an extent but none are near as effective than Xanax. Xanax has truly been a lifesaver (hands down) for my anxiety and panic attacks.

December 9, 2009 12:07 PM

For Anxiety: This medicine saved my life after my mother died and shortly after my daughters father was killed. It helped me relax and I was a lot easier to take it day by day. A great alternative to alcohol.

December 1, 2009 12:16 AM