User Reviews for Xanax

Depression 47 reviews 75 medications

8.6
Summary of Xanax reviews 418 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Xanax

For Anxiety "I've been on Alprazolam (Xanax) for over five years now. I take 2mg four times a day. Xanax is the only medication, when taken as prescribed, that allows me to manage my anxiety and panic disorder. I have my Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), My Severe Panic Disorder, My Antisocial tendencies, My Social Anxiety, My insecurity's and even my Agoraphobia all to a tolerable level. Xanax has greatly improved the quality of my life. If you can't find anything else that works, ask your doctor about Alprazolam."

Anonymous August 8, 2011

For Anxiety "This medicine is great. No side effects. Calms me down. Helps with the racing thoughts at night and to relax and get to sleep. I also had panic attacks, now with Xanax they are gone. I only take 0.5mg at night and as needed when nervous or with social anxiety if I go out. It works wonders. It is sad that many doctors do not want to prescribe it because of stigma of abuse and it really would help many people with anxiety disorders."

monchaloca1 August 3, 2011

For Panic Disorder "I was diagnosed with a severe panic disorder that literally took over my life. I was prescribed Xanax 0.25mg it is my life saver. I feel like my old self and I look forward to getting up in the morning. I was petrified of getting the panic attacks and this medication has helped and it works within 15 minutes of taking it. I have had reduced attacks and feel so much better. The only downside is you feel a little bit drowsy and if you are late taking it on time I found I would get severe blurred vision. It usually passed within a few hours. You definitely have to take it on time."

Anonymous August 1, 2011

For Anxiety "I have emphysema related anxiety and Xanax is the only thing that helps me. It does not get rid of the anxiety attacks but is strong enough to manage getting my anxiety attack under control. The quality of my life is unbearable without this medication."

Anonymous July 26, 2011

For Anxiety "Xanax for panic attacks saved my life. I had developed agoraphobia after 9 months or so of severe panic. I was prescribed Xanax for occasional use by a very smart doctor and just knowing I had them to rely on if I needed them was enough to end the cycle of panic. If you panic, they work quickly to end the attack. I know that people have trouble with withdrawal if they're used for too long. I did my best to breathe through the attacks and fend them off myself, but when I couldn't Xanax was a savior."

Anonymous July 18, 2011

For Anxiety "Calms my anxiety better then anything else. When I have anxiety attacks and take one or two Xanax I actually feel normal again and a lot more outgoing and I'm not so shy or afraid to meet and talk to new people that I may meet."

kr1987 July 13, 2011

For Panic Disorder "Having burning tongue syndrome is very rare and it feels like you have an electric cable attached to your tongue. After 3 years and 14 doctors and about 20 different medicines not to mention brain surgery NOTHING worked. One day I had a panic attack and the emergency room doctor prescribed Xanax. It took me week and half to try it but the result was immediate. For 1st time in years I feel like living again."

Suzanne mc July 11, 2011

For Anxiety "Effectively and rapidly eliminates symptoms of my anxiety. Also works well in calming my thoughts down. Only downside of this medication that I can conjure up is a propensity to make me lethargic...but this is only a significant problem if I'm not engaged in some sort of physical or mental diversion."

lambnj24 July 11, 2011

For Anxiety "I have two small children and it can be a lot to deal with on a daily basis. My doctor prescribed 1mg twice a day and it has helped tremendously with taking care of my daily activities and not being so stressed out all the time. I would say to anybody with a problem with stress or raising small kids it definitely helps make things a lot more bearable."

Anonymous June 28, 2011

For Depression "Xanax is one of the best medicines ever made to help depression and anxiety. They shouldn't be so hard to get prescribed though. They are a wonderful medicine that makes you happy even when you have major problems. If everyone took Xanax it would be the happiest country in the world."

Anonymous June 14, 2011

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "This medicine is a life-saver. Before I began taking Xanax the suffering I endured was indescribable. I panicked when I rode on trains or buses. I almost went out of my mind if a train stopped or slowed down between stations and I could not get off. I felt trapped. During a job interview I suffered such a severe panic attack that I wanted to flee into the street. My doctor prescribed Xanax and I was able to start and continue to work. Otherwise, I would have committed suicide. Fortunately, I get a generous supply each month, which I use up. I've heard horror stories from people whose doctors will not prescribe benzodiazepines at all. Also, some states place unnecessary red tape on Xanax prescriptions."

jerrywarriner May 30, 2011

For Anxiety "It's sad. Ever since I was a child I've had anxiety problems and it only seems to get worse with age. I've used Xanax for years to help control it, when it feels like I'm going to have a heart attack (racing heart) or I start shaking so bad I can't even think straight. Xanax worked wonders for me. Now my MD. wants to stop it. I'm on Cymbalta and unfortunately, I find it a very poor substitute. As I find it doesn't do 'The Great Job Xanax Did'. "

brenmari May 23, 2011

For Anxiety "I have been on Xanax for a few years for anxiety and panic attacks and have found Xanax to be very helpful and not as addictive as many other medications."

marlly May 20, 2011

For Panic Disorder "This was the only thing that would get me back on an airplane after 911. I fly a lot for my work, I have found it helps me deal with TSA with all the lines in security. I take the 0.5mg as needed, only need them for flying. No, I am not a pilot!"

dontflywell May 20, 2011

For Panic Disorder "Xanax has been an extremely effective medication. I have severe panic with agoraphobia and failed to respond to therapy, clonazepam, paroxetine, other benzodiazepines, antidepressants, AED's, beta-blockers, and others. I have taken up to 12 mg/day but I find that 4-6 mg/day is best. Side effects are non-existent nor have I ever experienced any form of withdrawal. Incidentally Xanax (along with imipramine) have been shown to be effective for years of continuous use. Great for either short-term use, and if needed, long-term use."

raraider May 17, 2011

For Anxiety "Xanax (Alprazolam) is a good drug for anxiety and panic disorder, is wonderful while you're taking it. But I know to leave this medicine is so painful and has many unpleasant effects on the withdrawal. It works great for me."

AnxiousG May 15, 2011

For Anxiety "I started taking Xanax at age 20 and it was a great medicine. I had such bad panic attacks and just constant anxiety 24/7. I started out on a low dose and within 15 mins I felt calm and fine. I got from the place of not being able to walk outside or answer the phone to being able to get married, have a job, go on vacations. Anything I wanted to do. I WAS NORMAL. But now I'm 36 and on the highest dose 4 mg a day and about 4 1/2 years ago my horrible anxiety came back even though I'm taking it. I can't work, drive or really go anywhere anymore. So I guess I'd say it works but then you may build up a tolerance and then it won't work. "

meyarger May 9, 2011

For Anxiety "I was taking 4mg of Xanax almost daily for about a year. I tried to quit cold turkey by being off of them for about 4 days straight and when day 5 hit me I thought I was going to die. I couldn't sleep for the 4 days I didn't have it, constant pacing around the house, twitches like crazy and had to get some ASAP as I was out. It has been over a month now and I am slowly coming off of the Xanax. I am down to about 1mg every 2 days or so and I haven't had any additional medications. It can be done but you have to prepare yourself for it mentally and tell yourself you CAN do it. I have quit in the past and regret ever picking up the bottle again. "

j1nelso May 5, 2011

For Anxiety "Xanax is an excellent medicine for myself. It has prevented panic attacks and helped me through times of rough anxiety. Ativan never worked for me and Klonopin makes me drunk-like and put me in the hospital 3 times. The hospital finally said I have an allergy to Klonopin and could no longer take it. After going on Xanax, I felt so much better and relieved. I try not to take Xanax everyday, as it is not meant to be a long-term solution to anxiety and can be very addicting, so be very careful. I am on Paxil CR and Risperdal on top of Xanax for my anxiety, PTSD, panic disorder, and OCD."

Anonymous April 30, 2011

For Anxiety "Xanax has really helped me relax. I have severe anxiety, depression and PTSD. I take Seroquel XR and recently my doctor switched me from Xanax to Atarax. The Atarax did not work at all. I have suffered from anxiety for years and the only thing that has been effective is Xanax. I would recommend this to anyone who has moderate to severe anxiety. It does have a high addiction rate, so be extremely careful when taking this."

Anonymous March 28, 2011

For Depression "I have been taking 1mg Xanax 4 times daily for 25 years. IT IS THE GREATEST MEDICINE FOR DEPRESSION EVER! No, it does not make me druged-sluggish or anything BAD. Xanax lifts me up when I get down and I do not even want to think about never having Xanax. I know of several friends and family members it would change their life FOR THE BETTER if their Doctors would only prescribe it to them. Of course they should not start on the dosage I take but at least get them started and take it from there.... The antidepressant's JUST DON'T DO IT FOR ME. I have tried several over the YEARS and they just make things worse for me. Xanax allows me to be happy and tolerate the "TOUGH TIMES"."

twentyfiveyears March 27, 2011

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Excellent medicine for anxiety, depression and insomnia."

Anonymous March 9, 2011

For Anxiety "I typically dislike and try to avoid taking medications whenever possible, but with a recent anxiety diagnosis, I was convinced to at least keep some of this on hand in case I need it. I must say that I LOVE Xanax. It really calms me down within about 20 minutes of taking it and helps me sleep almost irrespective of what is going on, but it doesn't leave a hangover effect the next morning. I'm currently in the phase of trying to find a more "regular" medication to control my anxiety/OCD (currently trying venlafaxine), as the Xanax isn't meant to be a daily thing. In the meantime, I'm still using this when I feel I need it. Ativan and Valium don't compare."

stingrae1625 March 8, 2011

For Depression "Why i give a rating of 6 for xanax and depression: I think the help xanax has to offer is enabling your racing thoughts and anxiety to subside long enough to get the good rest/sleep we need just to feel sane. Subsequently, decreasing depression & overwhelmness in our lives. Good luck to all!"

concerned1111 March 7, 2011

For Anxiety "Starting on .25 dosage and has helped my anxiety enormously. Have to say that has also helped my depression as well. I got my 1st good noghts sleep in months. Helps with panic attacks as well. I think sleep depravation plays a major role in scattered thoughts and feeling of hopelessness. Once we start getting back to regular sleep patterns, we can all feel sane and less overwhelmed in our everyday lives! Good luck to all!"

concerned1111 March 7, 2011