User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Depression

"Xanax 1mg t.i.d. has helped me plenty with my depression and panic disorder that said I find it as the best benzodiazepine for my condition !"

john bear (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2015

"My first experience was when I quick smoking. 7 months after I had stopped I developed severe anxiety and panic attacks. It took 3 months to figure out what was going on. The neurosurgeon prescribed it to me and told me to take it immediately and call back in 30 minutes. O M G!!! What a miracle that was. I took it for 2 months, switch to Zoloft, then back to the Cigs. Thank God for E-Cigs. Now several years later. Tinnitus hit me. Mine is very weird as it comes and goes in cycles. After seeing every doctor known to man, my ENT finally had me try Xanax so I could sleep at night. OMG...what a difference. I take .5mg at bedtime every-night. I sleep find. Feel great. And generally in a good mood."

Happy In Duluth Ga July 14, 2015

"If you cut back on the dosage you risk the chance of having seizures, even taking as prescribed over a long period of time because of the tolerance buildup. I have been in re-hab 4 times trying to get off of xanax. They give you valium, librium or ativan so you don’t have a seizure and then lower that dosage over 7-15 days and release you. But 3-7 days later your symptoms are going to be so bad it will drive you back to xanax which now you will probably have to buy on the street because they’re widely available unlike valium."

Wilberforce-xyzzzzzz (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2015

"Xanax has helped me so much for my depression and panic attacks. Even has helped a lot with my obsessive compulsive disorder. I don't have nearly as many compulsions since I've started taking it."

chris3545 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have dealt with depression, anxiety, social phobia or social anxiety which ever label they want to use for it these days. I have dealt with these issues pretty much since kindergarten. Well mainly the extreme social phobia/anxiety at that time which they used to just call "shy". When I was 18 and was seeing a psychologist he diagnosed me as having agoraphobia, I'm guessing because they really didn't have the term "social phobia/anxiety" at that time. I finally started taking Paxil and it worked good for 10 yrs then I maxed out on dosage and it stopped working. Tried all the other SSRI's/SSNRI's. Effexor XR worked best but didn't help anxiety/or social phobia issues. Got on Klonopin, then Xanax eventually. Benzodiazepines are life savers for socialphobia."

cucupuffs (taken for 10 years or more) January 2, 2015

"I've suffered from generalized anxiety for 25 years. At one point I could barely leave my house. Afraid to drive on bridges, tunnels, fly... I even had anxiety about taking taking anxiety medication. Xanax was a game changer for me! I rarely take it, but I've Taken trips I never thought I would be able to take. Get this, I was even able to skydive! Not bad for an agoraphobic. It builds confidence. Just having it in my pocket really helps. I had to take a .5 mg dose tonight because I've been in panic mode for five days and I finally needed to reset my mental state. I think David Burn's "feeling good handbook," is an awesome tool too. I'm rambling because after 5 days of super anxiety, I finally took a .5 and now I feel great."

Big Eagle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2015

"This is the best medicine out there. It makes me a better person. I love it. I have anxiety and depression and this is the only thing that makes me tolerable to be around. Levels me out and makes me happy."

amv518 November 20, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Xanax because my half brother died and I could not cope with it alone on just taking Pristiq for depression. Taking both of these medicines has really reduced my depression tremendously to where it only affects me a little now and not so many days in a row. I'd really like to stay on Xanax with my other antidepressant medication Pristiq 100mg because its helping a lot!"

Wayne George (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2014

"awesome"

valii September 26, 2014

"Very good for insomnia and stress which leads to depression. No side effects."

Educator28 November 21, 2013

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The first time I took Xanax was when I was having dental work and it was prescribed for the acute anxiety I feel with dentists. This past year my regular doctor suggested I might like to take it from time to time because of depression and anxiety. It helps tremendously. I usually break the .25 mg pill in half and just take half of one. I do not use it every day, but when I need it, it's wonderful and gets me to the next day."

ms me November 3, 2013

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Not only does a 0.5mg shut down racing thoughts and anxiety it reduces depression. Been on every other antidepressants out there with awful side effects. Don't need to take it every day. "

Loving Panama August 24, 2013

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Super good for depression."

Ekstorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had severe panic attacks for years. Finally got a doc that prescribed this and wow, it is an amazing medicine. My doctor retired and it seems every doctor now is afraid to prescribe it due to the ones who abuse it. I don't take it daily but my mind stops racing and I can sleep when I use it. I gave it a 9 because of slight drowsiness some mornings."

lil one (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2013

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking 0.5mg, 1 at night for 8 yrs. I get 30 for a months supply. It has been a miracle for me & my depression. I have tried all antidepressants which only make me feel worse & even suicidal. Xanax is a life saver for me. My doctor now wants me to start again with a antidepressant. I will not I think he wants to wean me off Xanax because of all the negative addictive effects. "

sunny002 March 28, 2013

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Works good for some anxiety but it caused me to be tired and sleepy. I slept a lot while on this and was still depressed."

PurpleBondGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am prescribed 45 2MG Tablets a month (brand name) I take a half 3 times a day, and am also prescribed 90 1mg Klonopin a month - morning, afternoon and night. While the Klonopin seems to aid in keeping the panic/anxiety at bay and keeping me calm and relaxed, the Xanax is the real 1-2 punch to panic attacks and anxiety; it takes all my sadness and depression away and allows me to think about all the amazing things I am working on NOT as a chore or as work, but as creative idea. Being prescribed 2 Benzo's is 'odd' practice like Klonopin 3 times a day with a fast acting Xanax. "

AlprazolamWizard November 30, 2012

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I fill better, I can go on with my life."

nanny1950 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2012

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is the only one I feel safe taking. I'm prescribed 0.25mg 2x a day or as needed. I took Zoloft, Wellbutrin,Seroquel, etc. Felt horrible coming off all of these. With Xanax I feel like I can take it when I need it and put it down the next day if I don't. Unlike the other antidepressants that cause brain zaps or worse side effects, feelings of a rollercoaster coming down."

Stacey M&M November 14, 2012

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am prescribed to take two 0.5 Xanax a day but in reality I only take it when I am having a panic attack or feeling very tense or unhappy. It works better for anxiety and tension then it does depression as far as I can tell, but then again I don't take it consistently. "

SaraxoJDqt (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2012

"I have been diagnosed with depression and panic disorder (for 20 years now). I learned over the years that if I could keep my anxiety/panic under good control I would be much less likely to go into depression (uncontrolled anxiety greatly increases the chance I will experience depression). Xanax works extremely well at keeping my anxiety (and hence depression) under control. These days I don't need to use it continuously because just knowing that Xanax is there and works so well if I need it has a calming effect. I didn't give Xanax 10/10 though because it has one annoying side effect for me: it kills my libido rather effectively if I take it for a few days. Apart from that, very tolerable - way more so than any antidepressant I was on."

Anonymous May 3, 2012

"I'm 37 yrs old I have been dealing with severe depression all my life. I have tried every antidepressant medicine under the sun, some were mildly effective but the side effects were worse than the depression. I went to a new doctor and he asked if I have ever tried Xanax. I said no I thought that was used for anxiety. He prescribed me 1.5 mg a day I started noticing a difference the first day. This stuff is amazing been on it for 2 months finally some relief. Its unfortunate its abused so much and so hard to get a doctor to prescribe it. I haven't had any side effects, I have such a positive outlook on everything now. It has completely changed my life for the better. All the symptoms that come along with depression I had are gone."

Anonymous December 14, 2011

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Good "

Yogi shah December 2, 2011

"Xanax is so great for me because I self-injure. It gives me the rational stance in my head when I feel like cutting myself. It doesn't allow me the energy to get so angry at myself. You just have to remember to actually take it when you feel your attack coming on and have patience for it to kick in. This is the best benzodiazepine because it works the fastest. Ativan is good sometimes. I saw trails but Xanax being the fastest but Klonopin lasts the longest."

Kpin It Real November 25, 2011

"I've had big problems with both depression and anxiety, and I've tried most of the benzodiazepines that are available (Diazepam, Clonazepam, Flunitrazepam, Nitrazepam, Oxazepam, and so on), and also a couple of different antidepressants. SSRI's and Mirtazapine(brand name "Remeron"). And after trying all of these different medications, I didn't think I EVER could get rid of the depression and anxiety and live a normal life (which in turn made me even more depressed), but then in comes Xanax! And it didn't take long before I was almost entirely free from both the depression and the anxiety, which had had such a strong grip on my life for such a long time and almost ruined my life! I really feel like I owe my life to the wonderful Alprazolam!"

Norwegian Guy October 20, 2011

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Depression