User Reviews for Alendronate

Also known as: Binosto, Fosamax

Learn more about Alendronate.

Osteoporosis 9 reviews 191 medications

Paget's Disease 0 reviews 14 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Alendronate reviews 15 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Alendronate

Review by Tayloranne (taken for less than 1 month):

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: I was on Daily Fosamax about 5 years ago. I had severe GERD and stopped taking it. I used calcium supplements and in those years I didn't have much change. Recently after a scan, it showed that I had bone loss so I went to the weekly Fosamax. I took it in the morning and by that evening, I had severe backache and muscle ache that got worse. Then I had horrible bloating. I could hardly walk with the pain. I called my pharmacist and they told me that I need to contact my doctor and to stop taking the medication. They told me that the side effect symptoms might take up to 7 months to go away. I can not function. I will contact my doctor to see what he has planned. I would like to just take calcium and vitamin D regularly.

August 31, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by Sijai (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: When I first started this there were little, small side effects. I figured over time I would get used to the side effects and thus deal with them. Instead the side effects became intolerable. I would test the med by taking it while I was feeling well. I still had several side effects. Finally the last time I took this the side effects me sick for two full days. Terrible upset stomach, extreme gas and bloating. Worse aches and pains, unable to sleep even with sleep medication. The verge of vomiting at any moment, very dizzy. Extreme bone pain. Several other situations happened with the last dose.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2013 5:49 AM

Review by Peaches1965 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Fosamax (alendronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: Started taking June 2013, once a week. 4 weeks into taking started having headaches but didn't connect the dots. Then started having severe sharp pain in back and upper right behind rib cage. Pain so severe, went to ER, where they didn't know the cause (had my gallbladder removed 18 yrs ago). Finally spoke to my primary and the connection was made.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 6:20 AM

Review by sunshine123#:

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: I started taking Fosamax for Osteoporosis and I have had a low back pain and body aches the first week, and on the second week I have had severe headache that lasted over two days, now its a dull headache. I'm not to sure on this medicine, I'm worried about the side effects. I hope the effects get better not worse.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2013 11:41 PM

Review by JLB 1943:

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: Caused severe chest pain, jaw pain, difficulty swallowing still after one year, eye pain, severe constipation, rash under my arms and anal area that persist to this day. The chest pains sent me to the Emergency.

June 3, 2013 6:02 PM

Review by Cindylbw:

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: I had to stop taking this after 7 months as my jaw became painful and my mouth became exceedingly dry. It took about 6 weeks for me to get back to normal.

January 21, 2013 8:03 PM

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: I was diagnosed with osteopenia in 2000 and took Fosamax for 9 years. My bone density showed slight improvement after 3 years, but still in the osteopenia range. One year later, no improvement. I am grateful to have my bone density fairly stable, but am disappointed to not have had improvement after 9 years.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2011 8:54 PM

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: My bone density improved while taking Fosamax. However, I had nausea, intense heartburn, gained 20 pounds, and had to start taking prescription stomach medications due to gastric problems. Finally, I stopped taking it, lost 20 pounds, felt much better and could eat again, but my doctor is now telling me I have lost significant bone mass since stopping this medication. Will now try Atelvia with calcium supplements.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2011 12:23 AM

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: I have been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for 10 years now without problems. My last scan showed an improvement of 97 percent after ten years by checking my "T" scores.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2011 10:11 AM

Review by menkeclark:

For Osteoporosis: After one year on Alendronate, Posture-D and 4000iu of Vitamin D I had another bone scan and am growing new bone.

April 11, 2011 2:38 PM

Review by ccollopy:

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: I noticed joint aches with this medication (and also from concommitant Femara, an anti-estrogen drug). Taking Glucosamin/Condroitin (1000/600 per day) solved the problem. When I stop the G/C, the aches come back. The only downside to this medicine for me is forgetting to take it once per week - or accidentally ingesting food beforehand, so I couldn't take it that day.

November 6, 2010 10:48 AM

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: The side effects increased with intensity the longer I took it. Muscle, joint and bone pain. I reached the point where I needed a cane to walk. Once I stopped taking it, problems all went away.

September 28, 2009 12:38 PM

Review by jds678:

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: I took Fosamax in 2003. I had severe leg cramps. I switched to Boniva because I liked the once a month dose verses weekly.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2009 11:57 PM

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: I had no problem tolerating Actonel, but when my prescription plan changed me to alendronate sodium, I almost immediately began having so much trouble with my knees that I can no longer use walking as my weight-bearing exercise, which is crucial to prevent.

January 12, 2009 10:37 PM

Review by Bumpa:

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: My wife has been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for four years now without problems - her last scan showed an improvement in osteoporosis. However, she has recently been supplied with a generic alternative. This has resulted in excessive wind and bowel functions. Is there such a thing as a generic equivalent?

229 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2007 11:29 AM