User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 344 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Review by Zapo:

Diagnosed with sero negative rheumatoid arthritis about five years ago. It came on very quickly and pain was awful. Took methotrexate, but was quite ill from side effects. Thought I Achieved remission and stopped methotrexate. Unfortunately, the disease was active and recently had a flare that has lasted for months. Blood work all negative. Rheumatologist ordered an MRI and found bone erosion in the wrists. Started Humira and had relief of symptoms shortly after. Just took second injection. The nurse who instructed me on the shots said to leave it out of refrigerator for 30 minutes, ice the site and inject. I have done both injections in my stomach with no pain. Using the Humira pen. Also iced spot for 5 minutes afterwards

September 2, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by T P (taken for less than 1 month):

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012, at 25. After an allergic reaction to methotrexate, I was put on leflunomide with great success for a short while. Unfortunately for me, my rheumatoid arthritis has affected every joint in my body. Every flare up is different, but everything hurts at some point. I seeked a second opinion and was immediately prescribed Humira. Like many others, I was given the pen. I must say that the suspense leading up to pushing that button is far worse than the 15 or so seconds of pain. I was given a sample fresh from the fridge at my appointment, and it hurt like hell. My nurse shared with me to let it come to room temp. I do my first at-home injection next week. Hoping for great results.

July 30, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by Under 50 with RA (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Humira was my first medicine to try for recently diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis. Had to stop after the 2nd injection due to nausea, lethargy, my teeth hurt and had 3/4 migraines a week. Trying a new medicine now and hope to see results. Humira has a discount program that you only pay $5 for. Ask your doc about it!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 4:05 PM

Review by Bw853 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Limited improvement after 6 months, developed bad rash and MD refused to continue medication.

March 15, 2014 12:50 AM

Review by Saltio (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Severe allergic reaction.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 9:11 AM

Review by PBNYC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had rheumatoid arthritis onset literally overnight in wrist, and within short period, all fingers, elbows and shoulders. I have negative RF, but elevated Sed Rate. I pushed my Rheumatologist hard to get in front of the disease progression. I was on Methotrexate alone for about 10 wks, increasing dosage from 12.5mg - 17.5mg but it had marginal impact. I pushed for Humira and within 48 hrs after first injection, I noticed improvement. I'm six weeks into combination therapy and I'd say I'm 60-70% improved. Large joints are 90% better but fingers remain stubborn. Yes, the shot hurts for 10 flipping seconds. I let it get to room temp for about 30-40 minutes..speciality pharmacist said that was fine. This medicine is awesome.

February 8, 2014 7:36 PM

Review by Di Di:

Been on this for almost 10 yrs. I now have frequent sinus headaches that are difficult to clear. Am fatigued but able to function well on this medicine, but now have stomach pain and also use methyprednisolone. Also vasculitis has appeared in ankle, and here to stay. I plan to stop and start Sulfalazine EC to take it's place as a DMARD, at least. An old case of psoriasis appeared after my 4th year but left entirely after 3 years. On my feet, and utterly painful.

January 17, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by Mandy 1985 (taken for less than 1 month):

For ankylosing spondylitis and Rheumatoid arthritis. I am 28 years old and today was my first dose. They did two in one and after 15 minutes I felt an ease in pain and stiffness but probably won't feel the full effect for a couple a days. So far so good. You have to work with medication. It's a 50/50 type of deal.

December 23, 2013 12:17 PM

Review by Nicole Miranda (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 18 years old, I just found out I had rheumatoid arthritis and I have been on Humira for 3 months. I have flare ups every once in a while but I do have to take methedrol along with it. it's a strong medicine and it messed up my stomach and gives me heartburn also. I guess for me Humira will take the 6 months it will to take effect and till then this winter will be the worst for me. keeping a positive outlook on this knowing I'm not the only one.

November 9, 2013 7:42 PM

Review by RA in sd:

Its been a whole month since my last posting, I recently went to see my Doctor.....and guess what, NO inflammation whatsoever. But have noticed that I have had lot of sinus congestion. But who cares as long as my rheumatoid arthritis factor is @ ZERO.

October 13, 2013 3:28 PM

Review by RA in SD (taken for less than 1 month):

l have had rheumatoid arthritis now for 7 years, it runs in my family both grandmothers, my parents, my 5 siblings. I have been taking methotrexate injections for 2 years plus Celebrex & Plaquenil along with controlled pain medication. I thought is this the way my life is going to be, always in pain. I started Humira about 3 weeks ago & WOW after the 1st injection the next day I could not believe how much my pain and stiffness had decrease, I could actually get up by myself in the morning. I take my shot every 2 weeks, I start noticing about the Friday or Saturday a little stiffness and feeling achy and know its time for the next dose. I have experienced a lot of pain, burning & stinging on the injection site. I have learned what works for me is to lie down.

September 15, 2013 6:49 PM

Review by Severe Arthritis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

My 86 year old mother has been on Humira for the past 2 years. She combined this treatment with methotrexate. Towards the end of the 2nd year the effect of each Humira dose lasts less than 14 days at a time. Going down to 10 days at a time then it completely stopped working for her. She has an excellent doctor and we are looking at other alternatives for the moment. Possibly Orencia. Overall Humira worked wonders while it lasted.

July 29, 2013 10:01 PM

Review by Twinmom91:

I began HUMIRA after 3 years of minimal control of my rheumatoid arthritis. I take methotrexate in addition. I am shocked at the quick control of my symptoms and am so happy that I am feeling so much better. I do have some headache and dizziness the next day....but it is sooooo worth it. I highly recommend the self injections vs. the auto inject.....there was a serious reduction in pain with the self injection.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2013 10:29 PM

Review by creakyjoints:

For the most part the experience has been good, my rheumatoid arthritis is in remission and no pain or stiffness. Recently had my first setback a serious bladder/kidney infection that came on supper fast. A short hospital stay with IV antibiotics and then followed up with a 12 day course of Cipro it cleared up. If this occurs again I may rethink the whole biological course of action.

January 17, 2013 11:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my first shot two weeks ago, and my second last Monday. It worked immediately for me. I was able to sleep through the night that first night, after many months of pain and trouble sleeping. I have had active symptoms for about 8 months. I also take methotrexate and Diclofenac. I am in amazement how great I feel! No side effects yet. I'm getting great sleep and can play tennis again. I don't like the injections, but I feel so good... It's worth it!

July 28, 2012 12:13 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 47 years of age and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 28. I have been incapacitated every day since my diagnosis and for the last 3 - 5 years I have had difficulty driving, walking, shopping and leading a 'normal' life. This has led to a poor quality of life due to constant pain and depression. I started taking Humira about 8 weeks ago. One week after commencing I woke up feeling very strange. It took me a few hours to work out I was completely pain free. I hope it continues to be effective. It has changed my life completely.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2012 11:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have rheumatoid arthritis for last 7 years and was against any form of medication but living with pain day in day out and caring for new born was very hard. Before Humira I was taking 6 different tablets daily and end up putting on lots of weight. Just started Humira 6 weeks ago apart from not being able to sit on the floor and regain my life back. So far no side effects, just thirsty and fatigue when over doing. Keeping fingers cross. I found if you let the injection to reach room temperature it doesn't hurt that much, only the needle sting.

July 25, 2012 4:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was against taking this medication until my flare-ups were so bad I was not able to walk or use my arm. I am so grateful for this medication. I just had my 3rd dose (every other week). Other than the extreme pain during the shot and a bit unsettled for about 10 minutes after, I say this medication is a miracle. I am 99.75% pain free ~ the first time in over a year. So far no side effects other than very thirsty. Cutting down on coffee and have increased my water intake. I worry about possible future side effects but not being able to move is not living.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2012 7:53 PM

Review by tbhappylee:

Gave me urinary tract infections and kidney stones.

April 15, 2012 11:48 AM

It was a clearly effective drug...I started feeling better the week of the first injection. However I had a very bizarre reaction involving a high, persistent fever for more than 3 days, swollen lymph nodes all over my body, hives, severe eye pain, and a dramatic drop in the number of white blood cells.

April 2, 2012 4:25 PM

After many years on Imuran my rheumatoid arthritis was no longer controlled. I was in terrible pain for months. About three days after my first Humira injection I felt amazing. Didn't realize how bad the pain had been for so long. Then I had a setback. I was taking Imuran with the Humira and ran out of Imuran for three days. All the pain returned. I didn't go back to being pain free after that and some symptoms returned. My doctor switched me to Humira biweekly and injections of methotrexate weekly. Pain again subsided. I have had an itchy, puffy reaction at the site of Humira injections. Now after 3 or 4 shots I have horribly itchy, watery, burning eyes. Not sure if this is some kind of allergic indication.

March 14, 2012 11:06 PM

This medicine has enabled me to continue working and living a more normal lifestyle.

January 9, 2012 5:11 PM

I take Humira for rheumatoid arthritis and so far it's the only medicine that works for me. I've tried Plaquenil and methotrexate but they don't even touch the pain/swelling. I began to feel relief the morning after the first shot of Humira. Don't let the instructions scare you. The shot is not painful. I let it stand on the counter 15 minutes before I give it so it's not so cold. My Doctor suggested that I sit in a straight back chair so that the abdominal area is already pinched and you'll have both hands free, then pick a spot on my stomach that's 2 inches away from the navel and just do as the directions explain. You won't feel the needle, but the medication will burn just a little. I can't even say it hurts. Don't be afraid.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2011 4:01 PM

I have moderate to severe rheuamtoid and until I got on Humira I was unable to do much of anything. I was misdiagnosed for almost 2 years and since the first injection I've had great success.

November 8, 2011 7:59 PM

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for three years. It came on overnight and totally overwhelmed me in pain. Thanks to a great doctor I was immediately referred to a Rheumatolgist who started me on methotrexate(weekly), prednisone(daily) and Humira every two weeks. My doses of Prednisone was gradually reduced and I have now been off totally for 6 months. I went from 20mg of Methotrexate weekly to zero now. Humira is the only medicine being taken weekly and even though stiffness and swelling have returned to some degree I am still great compared to where I started. Side effects include higher liver enzymes and daily itching outbreaks. Otherwise, if I can remain at this level for another 30 yrs. I'll be fortunate.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2011 7:42 PM