User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 331 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"RA for 10 yrs, injecting 25mg of MTX for couple of years after having too many s/effects on oral MTX. Then getting flares and not well controlled on MTX so started on Humira, injected fortnightly and remaining on MTX. No major side effects. But not benefit. Nothing. Nada. No relief from symptoms at all. Rheumatologist took me off it and now probably going to start on Enbrel. Apparently I sit in the 1/3 of people for whom there is no benefit. Hoping Embrel will work because I'm over it. It's no life."

Samantha66 January 22, 2016

"At 23 my RA got so bad that walking & lifting my hands over my head was enough to make me wince in pain. Doc prescribed me Humira, and my pain went away overnight (literally). I continued taking it for a year, and I haven't had a single notable flare-up since the first injection. I still get random SMALL aches but they're completely forgetabble. Can't say the list of long-term side effects don't scare me. So since I feel 100%, I've decided I no longer want it. Have actually been off the med for about 6 months now and not a single flare-up. Doc pressured me to mix it with Methotrexate, but I'm not a human test subject so that ain't happening. Doctors, please listen to your patients. If they feel great, don't force MORE meds on them."

Took it for RA for a year. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2016

"I am a 57 year old female, diagnosed with RA 29 years ago. I took Enbrel for 9 years, but began to have more frequent flares, so my rheumatologist switched me to Humira. I took the first injection 20 days ago and felt great until day 12, when I developed severe flu-like symptoms, with aches and pains and had a significant rash over my entire body and face. It was like having a major RA flare plus an itchy rash and headache at the same time. I was prescribed a six-day dose of prednisone and 24 hour a day Benadryl. I had little improvement three days latter and received a steroid shot which was three days ago. Four days later, I still have significant overall weakness, a major headache and injection site reaction from the initial and last injection."

Kimberli Jeffers (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"In my case it has slowed down the RA but it has not been a cure all. Burns like hades for about 3-5 minuts after the injection. Started on Orencia, then Cimzia, now Humira. Also on Arava as I do not tolerate MT well."

Fordownr (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2015

"Began experiencing rheumatoid arthritis in Spring of 2014. Was put on methotrexate and Humira. The arthritis was affecting my wrists, hands and fingers with severe pain, with some additional pain to both knees, ankles, feet and toes. At 52 years of age the debilitating pain was not acceptable. Almost immediate relief from pain was achieved with these medications, but the side effects began. Yeast infections, skin rashes, etc. Quit both meds in December 2014. The severe pain in both hands has returned. Have an appointment in January 2016 with a new rheumatologist for a second opinion for treatment. For those with allergies and sinus infections, try eating some raw local honey each day. Eating honey has taken headaches away for me."

In pain and not liking it November 30, 2015

"I was on HUMIRA for three years after 14 years of methotrexate and a mix of other non biological meds. HUMIRA was brilliant however it has recently stopped working so well and my specialist is changing me to another anti TNF biologic. I'm really sad and sorry to leave my humira behind, it gave me a great three years, the best I've had since I first got RA. Will wait to see what the new MED is like, fingers crossed."

Macza November 10, 2015

"I have taken my first injection four days ago and after half a day with just a runny nose and headache, I have become very unwell with such bad backache and pain under my shoulder blade, temperature and nightmares/depression I am feeling I may have to stop before the next one. Has anyone out there felt like this after and weighed up the stiffness to severe new pains?"

South Deb (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2015

"I've had RA for 16yr (I'm 49yr)....I'm currently on Methotrexate (5 pills wkly) and Humira. In the past 10mo I've had shingles twice so I had to go off of it so that I could get the shingles vaccine. I definately missed taking it and have suffered a bit. I just started back up and am looking forward to it kicking in! It works wonders for me....**altho I will say that whenever I travel south (TN), I forget I even have arthritis....climate matters..."

Kelso49 September 9, 2015

"I had exactly the same experience with humira as JayAll did on April 8th 2015.Two weeks in hospital with pneumonia that spread fast,drained lung fluid,scarred lung and now copd.I had no lung problems in the past.Still on methotrexate and now on otezla flares and pain still here, but doc wants me to try it for four months"

J.All (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

"I started on humira a year after my diagnosis and felt better overnight. It wasn't the pain that was doing me in it was the total lack of energy and not feeling like myself. I finally felt normal again. My doctor wanted me to also take methotrexate but the oral pills caused almost constant vomiting. After my wrist problems I tried the methotrexate again with no success so was put on enbrel. I had some minor skin infections on humira but never ran a a fever and could always be cleared up. So after almost 3 years on humira I was switched to enbrel. My energy plummeted, although I had no pain or flares just constant respiratory infections with fevers. I was put on sub q meth and humira and energy returned. I am so much happier!"

humeria lover! (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2015

"Hi! I have been living with RA for the past 8yrs. I have it in my left foot and both wrist moving to my knees. (lovely)@ 53? As everyone knows who is on the site the pain for most of us is constant. Wake up w/ it still there if you want to go walking mid afternoon. Dinner time tired don't feel like cooking. Tell your MD, They tell you about Humira.... All these great biogenics on the market, how good are they? Last Sat I ended up in the hospital over night. Feeling heart racing. Sweating, body and mind feeling exhausted can't move or even lift my hand. Has anybody got any of these symptoms while taking Humira. I welcome any feedback.."

doxiemom1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

"In response to Rick. I started Humira had good results. Then needed to come off it because I injured tendons in my foot. When I restarted Humira, I have not achieved the same results. My joints are red, swelled, and remain in a lot of pain."

Angie Pooh June 1, 2015

"I have been taking Humira for 2 years now. I have had RA since 2008. No one in my family has had RA. I noticed the first week of taking Humira that my pain and swelling was gone. I do get the sinus infections and dry skin on my feet. I am SO happy not having as much pain. I can live with the infections or dry feet."

Daisy Duk (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2015

"I have been on Humira since January and my pain is worse, especially in my upper extremities. I was told at the time I started Humira that my Thyroid levels were too low (Hashimoto disease). The doctor upped thyroid meds at that time I am wondering if perhaps that is playing a roll in my RA not improving. It is hard to be patient when in pain."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

"Humira lowered my immunity to where I suddenly got severe pneumonia that spread very fast. I had never had lung problems before this happened. After 2 weeks in hospital with all different kinds of antibiotics and antifungal and drained fluid from the lung, I started to get better.This was after stopping the Humira first day in the hospital. Now have scarred lung and cold to show for it. I will not be going back on it!"

jayAll (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015

"On Humira approx 4-5 yrs now. I understand the risk of your immune system being compromised however the relief I receive outweighs in my mind that risk. I am overall a healthy and active individual. I'm 56. I take Methotrexate in combination with the Humira. Early January 2015 I had a knee replacement. Successful surgery. I needed to be off the Humira for more than 2 months due to that. during that time I had major flareups. I've been injecting again with the humira pen , 3x in 3 weeks...it's not yet working again....Has anyone experienced this being off of it for a few months and then starting up and the humira being non-effective? I'd be interested to know. I'm at the point to ask my Rheum what gives? Diff treatment options?"

Rick in Phila (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2015

"Don't let doctors give you ciprofloxacin or any fluoroquinolone antibiotics, while you are taking Humira."

aloneyu March 24, 2015

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis after 2 years of awful pain. I am now using Humira with methotrexate. I also take sulfasalizine antibiotic daily due to lowered immunity. I take Prilosec for heartburn. I am able to work a full time job and do most things that I enjoy."

Lori Liz (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2015

"Not completely pain free and stiff joint free. But the fatigue is awful. 5 inj so far, can sleep all day if my family didn't need me. Very lethargic and drained."

MsMonie January 21, 2015

"Humira gave me my life back! I received four different diagnosis by four different Rheumatologists. Diagnosis: Fibromalagia, Connective Tissue Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, lastly Lupus. I used to have severe joint pain, mostly in my legs, difficulty walking long distances, inflammation, insomnia, depression, 60lb weight gain from steroids, stomach bloating, joint stiffness throughout the night, I would toss and turn throughout the night due to the stiff achey joint pain. My legs were the most achey, I would cry at night because the pain was so unbearable. I hated when it was time for bed, because I knew pain would accompany sleep with stiffness. I felt like I was 90 years old. I was a"Hot Mess!" Thank GOD for Humira!!"

Cinnamon Spice (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on all the medicines and have achieved remission of various lengths with gold injections (1.5 yrs), minocycline (8 yrs), Enbrel (5 years before the efficacy started to diminish) and Humira (1 year) over the past 30 years. As a result of all the medicine treatments I now have horrible lung complications similar to COPD (have never smoked anything). When the pain is excruciating you are willing to take anything to make it better. Enbrel and Humira have left me with a continuous sinus infection that I keep under control with regular salt water rinses. I have no ability to fight off infection and keep getting lung infections which require me to stop the injections for the arthritis and every time you stop, your body builds immunity."

PetiteCdn (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2014

"Diagnosed with sero negative rheumatoid arthritis about five years ago. It came on very quickly and pain was awful. Took methotrexate, but was quite ill from side effects. Thought I Achieved remission and stopped methotrexate. Unfortunately, the disease was active and recently had a flare that has lasted for months. Blood work all negative. Rheumatologist ordered an MRI and found bone erosion in the wrists. Started Humira and had relief of symptoms shortly after. Just took second injection. The nurse who instructed me on the shots said to leave it out of refrigerator for 30 minutes, ice the site and inject. I have done both injections in my stomach with no pain. Using the Humira pen. Also iced spot for 5 minutes afterwards"

Zapo September 2, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012, at 25. After an allergic reaction to methotrexate, I was put on leflunomide with great success for a short while. Unfortunately for me, my rheumatoid arthritis has affected every joint in my body. Every flare up is different, but everything hurts at some point. I seeked a second opinion and was immediately prescribed Humira. Like many others, I was given the pen. I must say that the suspense leading up to pushing that button is far worse than the 15 or so seconds of pain. I was given a sample fresh from the fridge at my appointment, and it hurt like hell. My nurse shared with me to let it come to room temp. I do my first at-home injection next week. Hoping for great results."

T P (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2014

"Humira was my first medicine to try for recently diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis. Had to stop after the 2nd injection due to nausea, lethargy, my teeth hurt and had 3/4 migraines a week. Trying a new medicine now and hope to see results. Humira has a discount program that you only pay $5 for. Ask your doc about it!"

Under 50 with RA (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2014

"Limited improvement after 6 months, developed bad rash and MD refused to continue medication."

Bw853 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2014