User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Psoriatic Arthritis

Review by Super n (taken for 5 to 10 years):

5.5 yrs on this miracle

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2014 3:05 AM

Review by JHC1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've injected three Humira pen needles so far, been on the treatment for six weeks. I've had Psoriatic Arthritis for 13 years. Humira began clearing up the psoriasis on my elbows after the second injection. My scalp is beginning to flake a bit less. My actual arthritis feels about the same so far. My rheumatologist wants me to stay on Humira at least 6 months to try it on my psoriasis, as long as I don't have an adverse reaction to it. It took about six weeks beforehand, after I got the written prescription for my BCBS insurance to approve the twice monthly medicated needles. It's around $5k per month for the two needles but I pay only $90 month co pay after the coverage. I will report back here again if I have further significant recovery, I'm hopeful.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 10:13 AM

Review by Polkadott (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Since being on Humira, I am a whole new person. It was hard being diagnosed at 29 with a new baby to take care of. I could barely get out of bed, open a jar or change a diaper. I do have headaches often, fatigue and slight mood swings, but worth it. I have my life back.

June 15, 2014 2:25 AM

Review by steve130:

I have used this for over a year and a half at first it worked fine however now after long term use I have started to have some heart issues. I'm only 53, have had good heart. Last shot I took put me down for 3 days the second day after I was hardly able to walk and had bad heart palpitations along with high fever all of which are side effects. I have appointment coming up and will not take another shot.

May 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by Skippygood grief:

I fell down quickly when the arthritis part of the psoriasis hit me at 50. I had always had bad nails and I developed psoriasis while taking Alpha Interpheron at 40. At first I took methotrexate 25mg/week by mouth. That was a disaster. I went to sub Q and that worked very well, however, after a year, I began to get sick with the flu or such. It lasted 60 days and I had to get off the methotrexate and nearly wound up in the ICU. From a cold or flu! Got better, then 45 days later, got sick again. Thanks to the ACA, I have insurance and am able to take Humira. It works pretty well on the psoriasis and also works pretty well on the arthritis. But, after several months, my feet are getting sore and my right wrist is weakening.

April 15, 2014 6:16 PM

Review by Jeannie in DC:

When I started taking Humira in 2008, I was covered over 80% of my body. Took Humira, and it was at least 8 weeks (if not more) for any improvement on the plaque psoriasis, although I noticed big improvement in arthritis pain and stiffness. Once it cleared, within 2 years it was again widespread. Finally I have been on it regularly for two years in addition to Methotrexate (without it I feel it in my knees and hands). I now only have no more than 5 spots here and there. Very happy with it, and only side effect was 1 time liver function affected, but easily fixed with lesser dose of Methotrexate.

March 11, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by Creaky man-89 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had psoriasis since I was 15 and mild psoriatic arthritis since I was 20, now four years later my psoriasis started to flare up after nearly a three and a half year remission due to treatment and develop in all the old places with it came severe psoriatic arthritis. Over the course of four months I went from moving normally to being in severe nearly constant pain and walking with a cane. I went to my dermatologist to see about any treatments and she prescribed me Humira. The day after the first two pen treatment I was walking with little pain and within a week I didn't need a cane any more. So far the only side effect I have had was a mild headache after the injection. Humira essentially gave me my life back.

March 10, 2014 2:03 AM

Review by PsAth (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on Humira for over 7 years. I first tried Remicade in 2001 and it was a miracle. I have had psoriasis since age 14 and Psoriatic arthritis since 1994 but symptoms of the arthritis since 1989. I was always a runner but gave that up in 1998 until Remicade. Remicade worked great for a few years but eventually your own body builds up antibodies to it and it stops working. I have tried 4 other biologic medicines but always come back to Humira one shot a week. Over the years it has stopped working as well but I notice the difference when I do not take my shot. Still pretty miserable but still able to work full time and take care of my family. The IL 17 inhibitors are coming out soon and they look very promising.

March 7, 2014 12:32 AM

Review by Ben scott (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 23, got diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year. I been miss diagnosed with systemic yeast infection because of the psoriasis and took 10 weeks of anti fungal prescription medicine which didn't help of course because that's not what I had. I went to a different doctor and he sent me to a rheumatoid specialist and from there he introduced and prescribed me Humira and I took my 1st injection and the next morning I woke up and my joint pain, swelling and psoriasis greatly reduced.

December 5, 2013 1:21 PM

Review by Desperate in HI (taken for 2 to 5 years):

First time on Humira was like a miracle, my arthritis was minimal & my psoriasis too but I felt "finally a cure" and it cleared everything up. After taking Humira for 2 yrs I missed 1 month of shots (had it in the freezer by mistake). I thought it'll be okay however, my psoriasis came back worse than ever. I went back on Humira hoping everything will clear again and it hasn't so now I'm in a limbo again should I stay or should I stop. Has anyone experience this and if so what have you done? PLEASE HELP.

November 3, 2013 8:29 PM

Review by A Momma:

My son was diagnosed with Juvenile Psoriatic Arthritis when he was in fourth grade. By the time he was finally diagnosed he was in a wheelchair and unable to move most of his major joints...even his jaw was affected due to the severe arthritis. Today I can say thanks to God, Humira, and monthly visits to Shriner's Hospital he has graduated from High School and is now in REMISSION!

July 5, 2013 5:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Changed my life for better in terms of mobility but very prone to picking up viruses, had several infections after a hand operation as a result and get nausea, upset tummy and more tired than I used to but I'm walking and have low pain levels so worth it. My psoriasis is nearly gone.

July 19, 2012 11:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been experiencing extreme pain since 2009 from psoriatic arthritis, tried methotrexate no luck, finally started Humira 72 hours ago and already no pain whatsoever. A lot faster than I ever expected. The injection is not bad at all, a very small needle with a slight sting, but I'll take a 5 minute sting over the pain I had any day. I have not had any side effects yet I will edit this post if I do in future. I found these post very helpful with my decision to start Humira so I though I would return the favor.

June 8, 2012 4:49 AM

I'm 22 years old and I was only 19 when I got diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. At first, I didn't know what was happening to me. I suddenly couldn't do my daily exercise because my knees, feet, arms, fingers, back and neck started to hurt so bad that it was difficult for me to get out of bed, not to mention getting down the stairs. Every rheumatologist appointment was turning into a torture session with the cortisone injections and liquid being removed from my knees. Methotrexate did not do me good, so my doctor finally decided to start filling papers for my Humira injection. 1st injection was last week and WOW! is all I got to say. I've never been so happy in my life. My mornings are painless and now I work 10 hours a day without any Tylenol or prednisone.

January 20, 2012 7:01 AM

After a year if misdiagnosis I was eventually told I had Psoriatic Arthritis. It hit me quickly and within a year was in constant pain in my chest, hands and feet that prevented me walking far. I was 43 at the time. After years of NSAIDs I was put on Humira. What a difference, I am 99% pain free and the swelling has all but disappeared all within a month or so of taking, a miracle for me.

November 16, 2011 6:01 AM

The medication works, but the spring-loaded horse tranquilizer-style delivery device is barbaric. I'd rather get a regular syringe and inject it myself than using their prefilled ones.

March 7, 2011 10:48 AM

I have been using Humira for over two years now. My skin has cleared up and my joints are a lot better than what they were. I have had psoriasis all my life but it was something that I just had to live with, so now after 36 years to be able to move around without having to hover after myself is a blessing in it self. I went swimming with my husband and children a couple of months ago. For the first time ever I was able to put on a swim suit. It just goes to show that the things some people take for granted are the things that we struggle to do all our lives. Humira has given me my life back.

February 1, 2011 8:41 AM

Review by Norfin:

I have been on Humira for nearly a year now. At first my rheumatologist was having me inject myself every 14 days, but that was not as effective as we would have liked, so he upped it to every 10 days. I kept it that way for a couple months, but my pain still was bad sometimes. So now he has me injecting myself once a week. Overall I think I'm having some success with the Humira, but I still feel quite tired and have days when my hands and back hurt too much for me to perform my job at work and do things around the house. My finger nails look better, but I'm not sure if the Humira has the ability to help that. I did have clearing of some of the plaques on my skin, but recently I have noticed that they are returning again.

December 7, 2010 3:37 PM

Review by Julieicon:

I am on Humira and this past Saturday made my 12th SC injection. There are some good and some not so good things that I can say about Humira. I was very hesitant to try any of the TNF or monoclonial antibodies due to some of the possible side effects I had read about. My Rheumatologist let me decide from 3 protocols and I chose Humira. I asked my rheumatologist which one he felt more comfortable with and his response was Humira, so that is how I made that decision. Prior to starting Humira, my energy level was "nil" because I had no energy whatsoever. I will say my energy level has improved a great deal but getting fibromyalgia now and this is miserable. I am 45 but at times I feel 60. Good luck to all!

August 4, 2010 5:30 AM

Review by kotku:

Humira has given me my life back. It is truly a miracle drug. Since I have been using the pen it has been a lot easier to give myself the shot. It starts to take effect quickly for me and I feel like my age:28. Without it I have trouble getting on the toilet, walking at all, engaging in anything active is too exhausting and very painful. I will be on this medication for the rest of my life, that is until they find a cure!

July 10, 2010 6:16 PM

I have been using Humira since October of 2009, I had a lot of swelling in my joints after the injection and redness, swelling and bruising. I have not noticed much difference. I have started not only the cartilage degeneration but it is affecting my bone also. We are about to try Simponi. Hopefully this will work.

May 10, 2010 12:06 PM

Review by Lesardah:

Humira has literally been a miracle drug for me. I started a little over a month ago with the spring-loaded self-injecting pen. My Psoriatic Arthritis manifests similarly to Ankylosing Spondylitis and it usually takes me several hours in the morning to get ready. I also had psoriasis covering my scalp since I was 15 or so. Notice I said "had". My psoriasis is almost entirely gone, and I get up in the morning the same as any other person. I also had a pronounced stoop forward, and my girlfriend was in tears of joy last night after we both noticed I was standing almost completely straight.

February 14, 2010 1:35 PM

So far this has been effective when used with Methotrexate. No side effects, minimal skin outbreaks. Only somewhat effective for pain but overall, very good.

February 6, 2010 11:01 AM

Review by PAshell:

Was using HumiraPen for a few years. At first I was thrilled because it cleared up the psoriasis almost overnight. Made everything else more bearable within reason except for Lupus and Fibromyalgia. But ... in 12/08 I had a small boil that was handled as needed. One week later I was found unconscious and in septic shock. That boil blew a 4 inch hole in my side. Hospital records talked of Necrotizing Faciitis/MRSA ! My rheumatologist told me that the Humira suppressed my system so much that I had no warning of such a severe infection. I had no inflammation, fever or symptoms of any kind. BE CAREFUL...watch for the smallest skin lesion.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2009 12:41 PM

Review by jukebox3:

Experienced allergy symptoms from this (itchy eyes, sinus pain/running nose, etc.). Also had what the doctor called an allergic reaction to the shot on my leg. Started swelling up, and got bigger than the palm of my hand. Red, horrible looking, and it hurt to touch.

October 17, 2009 3:21 AM