User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance.

Reviews for Humira to treat Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

"I have had Chron's symptoms for about 10months. I was in severe pain with the constant inflammation. I was vomiting and the nausea was unbearable. I recently started humira. After one week of starting my injections, I immediately noticed that I had no more pain. I am able to eat without feeling awful afterwards. The only side effects I've experienced are headache and fatigue, but nothing too unmanageable."

Breezy88 May 17, 2015

"I'm on weekly 15mg methotrexate and fortnightly Humira. Is everybody on both of just the Humira. Luckily it's government funded."

Boltmannz March 7, 2015

"As a new Crohn's patient I had read a lot of horror stories about this disease and the medications used to control it - myself, I went on Azathioprine first but it stopped working gradually. Humira has honestly been a God send so far, I have my life back and no symptoms 99% of the time, I'm so thankful! Only thing I'm worried about now is if it stops working, but nothing has happened yet and I am past the danger zone apparently."

Squelia (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2015

"Had ulcerative colitis/Crohn's Disease for 20+ years. Was on sulfasalazine, taking prednisone for flare-ups. Switched to Lialda 3 years ago. It had fewer side effects, but did not control my condition. After 2 serious bouts of anemia (one hospitalization and 5 units of blood), my doctor decided on Humira. That was 6 months ago. No side effects at first, but recently got a sinus infection (congestion, coughing, very sore throat). Took prescribed antibiotics, but it won't go away. I felt better while taking the antibiotics, but the symptoms returned after they were done. Hope this is not a sign of things to come! Decreased ability to fight infections, right?"

Ohio Guy January 5, 2015

"I had forgotten how it felt like to be normal and healthy. To have energy. I was experiencing this after three months on Humira only to be abruptly dropped from my insurance plan. So thankful for the Abbvie patient assistance plan which has now approved me for a full year! I am looking forward to getting better again in the months ahead. I was afraid I was going to lose my job because of the flares but now I am hopeful. Thanks"

Thank You Abbvie (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

"Humira has really been a life saver. I wasn't sure if I was going to see another day in my life without pain and then I was introduced to Humira..it truly is a blessing, I don't have any side effects from the shot at all."

doctorshaps (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2014

"My husband has had a severe case of Chron's since he was 33. He was on and off of Remicade for 7 years. Last January we found out he built up antibodies to the Remicade and it was no longer working properly. Humira has been a God send for him. He loves that he decides when to give himself the shot and he only has side effects for 24 hours compared to 48 or 72 hours after an infusion of Remicade. He has been in remission for a year for the first time in years. We feel very blessed there is a new medicine helping patients with this very difficult disease. He also has learned to eliminate gluten and dairy. As his diet gets better he feels better."

GAW February 3, 2014

"I have had Crohn's disease for about a year and a half and Humira has been amazing. I felt relief within one month and was in remission within 9 months. Life is pain free..only side effect is yeast infections every week and feel like I have the flu the week right before due for shot. Shot is painful for 10 seconds, but it is worth it. Remicade is only other option, using it as last resort. Otherwise very satisfied."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2014

"Diagnosed with Crohn's 15 years ago. Medicine varied with poor results for 9 years. Over 60% of my colon is bad. Prescribed Humira 6 years ago. On Humira I have recovered and stayed in remission. I have had no negative side effects. I have been able to manage the shot every two weeks very well. (Previous medications, such as pentasa and prednisone, did cause significant and bad side effects along with no help for the crohn's symptoms.)"

proten July 26, 2013

"Was on Remicade until October 2012, after my last colonoscopy and the Dr. saw blockage and he felt it was no longer working even though I felt fine. He moved me to Cimzia which didn't work for me, did that until January when I was switched to Humira. Didn't think it was working but now 3 months later finally feeling like it's effective. Wish they could make a pill form. The injections aren't extremely painful but they don't feel good. Maybe it's different for people with body fat but I have close to none and wont inject anything in my legs."

jaydownsouth (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2013

"Humira gave me my life back. I was sicker than I had ever been and this is the first medicine that consistently made me feel better. I take it in conjunction with Pentasa which seems to be the magic formula for me. I don't like giving myself a shot but I am so grateful for how I feel. Diet is a big part too but this has been a miracle for me."

Fionafire71 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2013

"I've had Crohn's disease since 05' and I struggled through high school with flares, pain, and just off balanced white blood cell count. My doctor put me on Remicade when I was a junior. And a few days after I could barely walk, my legs were killing me, but to be it was worth it because I had somewhat of my life back. The summer I graduated we decided it would be easy to switch to Humira since I was going off to college. It's my senior year and this summer will be my fourth year on Humira and I'm actually just having my first flare since starting Humira. They say they don't work forever but I at least got 3 and a half years out of it. Plus Humira helped pay for the cost of the medication"

Riesy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2013

"Works effectively. When I miss a dose I feel terrible and within hrs of getting my dose I start to feel relief."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2012

"This medicine has given me my life back. I was initially very afraid because of all the potential side effects and I tend to react severely to medicines. But my Crohn's Disease and rheumatoid arthritis progressed to the point where I couldn't function anymore. I started Humira in conjunction with Plaquenil and it has completely turned my life around. The pain and stiffness are gone, the fatigue is significantly reduced and I have lost weight and have the energy to exercise again. The injections are not pleasant, and the initial side effects of nausea and flu- like symptoms were pretty rough for the first couple of injections. I got worse after the first one, but I'm glad I stuck it out because I'm doing fantastic now."

Anonymous October 19, 2011

"I have been taking Humira for 5 months after having had surgery for 3 fistulas. Humira has changed my life drastically. I am a senior in a high school and prior to humira I was constantly in pain and when i wasn't in pain I was worried about when i would be in pain and I had fistulas for 2 years without any surgeries. Since I have been taking Humira I almost forget i have any disease because I feel normal again. I can go out without worry and am pain free. I haven't gotten any fistulas since then either, I really can't say enough good things about Humira. Love it!!"

Stephanie125 March 6, 2011

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Humira for 6 months to treat my severe Crohn's Disease. Because of it, I now I have psoriasis. "

Anonymous January 10, 2011

"I am only 20 and have had Crohn's for about 3 years. I tried a lot but seemed to not work every well. I have never had a bad flare up, but Humira has made me feel almost completely normal again. It's a great drug and even if you are scared of needles it's worth it! ask your doctor about it!!"

Anonymous July 21, 2010

"I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1993. In 2006 I began to flare really badly. I had a bowel resection, but was still having a lot of problems. Finally, after spending 21 days in the hospital, my doctor recommended Humira. It saved me. Since starting the Humira, I have not been back in the hospital for my Crohn's. I was even able to compete at a national sporting event this summer and deployed with my unit for the hurricanes last year. If nothing else works, its worth a stick in the belly every couple of weeks to be able to be as close to normal as possible."

talfor24 November 2, 2009

"This medicine caused me to have very high blood pressure over a period of 10 months and even though it helped with some symptoms of my Crohn's Disease, the disease itself continued to progress and led me to my resection surgery. "

cdaddy75 February 20, 2009

"Humira gave me my life back. It's so convenient because I can take it at home and not have to wait in the hospital for infusions."

Steph2008 December 27, 2008

"My name is Serena. I have had chron's disease for six years. I had surgery a year ago. I had a flare up a few weeks after surgery. My GI put me on humira and it has been a miracle drug for me! NO pain or flare ups. I get to lead a normal life :)"

Rena1118 February 25, 2008

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Crohn's Disease, Maintenance