Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Zovirax Cream, Zovirax Ointment

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Acyclovir review summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Cold Sores.

Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Cold Sores

Review by Jemsgirl:

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): I have been dealing with cold sores for the past 10 years. I usually would only get 2 per year during an extreme weather change. I've tried Abreva, Releev, Campho, etc.... Nothing really worked at all accept drying the area. Well this Fall and Winter season, I had 3 outbreaks and at the 3rd, I said enough is enough. I read all the reviews online and decided to go with the Zovirax ointment. I got a prescription from my dentist 1st day I noticed the tingling (prodromal stage). The meds indicate this is the best time to start applying. I applied several times the first day and the next day I woke up and hardly saw a thing on my lip. I applied the ointment about 5 times that day even tho it seemed to be gone. 3rd day GONE!!! Miracle!!

February 21, 2012 8:54 PM

Review by jpewtherer:

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): I find this the only treatment which can nip a cold sore before it develops. If one does develop, it also eliminates the pain faster (2-3 days) than any other creams I've tried. I also discovered after more than five years of annoying outbreaks that cold sores in the summer actually came from sunburned lips. Once I started to completely cover my lips before spending time in the sun, they did not come back. Here, prevention is the key.

January 12, 2011 10:47 AM

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): it is very effective!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2010 2:21 AM

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): Great treatment!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2009 10:57 AM

Review by 12JULIE:

It is well worth the cost, decreases out break time and reduces pain and embarrassment.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2009 1:36 PM

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): When I feel a cold sore coming on (tingle) I rub it on and it stops the outbreak. Only thing is it tastes horrible; sometimes it's hard not to rub your lips around the mouth without getting some in.

December 10, 2008 12:56 PM